Author Topic: Two Minutes To Midnight  (Read 15229 times)

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Beatrice/Rokkenjima
Two Minutes To Midnight
« on: June 04, 2019, 07:37:29 AM »

A Statement On Slava Lavosk

It is my unfortunate role to today confirm that Rokkenjiman monitoring has confirmed a nuclear explosion occurred as announced by Slava Lavosk. Seismic data, combined with satellite surveillance of Slava Lavosk and increased levels of radiation being detected, show that Slava Lavosk has plunged Mundus into a new crisis. After the historic disarmament, led by the example of East Moreland, a scenario many of us had planned for but hoped would not transpire is now taking place before our eyes. Thankfully, in prudence and in preparation for such a contingency, the First Empire took actions to ensure the disarmament program presently underway would not leave us in a position where we could not answer this threat with equal and determined force.

In response to Slava Lavosk's test of a 30kT nuclear device the First Empire has given due notice to the Kingdom of Seaforth that it is suspending transfers of Rokkenjiman nuclear arms to the Seaforth Energy Reserve, a program which has removed 10% of the Rokkenjiman nuclear arsenal for the purposes of peaceful energy production. I have ordered deactivation operations to cease while authorizing Imperial High Command to re-arm Rokkenjima's Millennial Class Submarines, along with silos across the First Empire, with their nuclear deterrent as swiftly as they may carry out my orders. This is not a decision I have made lightly, and I promise the Kingdom of Seaforth that this program will be resumed once this egregious threat to the peace, and perhaps the very future, of Mundus has been subdued.

While Slava Lavosk has demonstrated they have a device we do not know how many devices they have, nor the materials they have on hand to construct more. However, this very act, taken after our mutual pledge to the complete disarmament of Mundus' nuclear arsenals, is itself an attack on the collective sovereignty of the community of nations. In response, I have ordered the Kyne and Home Fleets to enforce a blockade of Slava Lavosk, while implementing the strongest of sanctions possible against the Slavan regime. Assets on routine operations in the Sea of Kyne shall be working to implement the first stages of this blockade. In addition to operations originating from the Rokkenjiman homeland and QKNB, I have issued an official request to the Achkaerinese Government to permit Rokkenjiman forces stationed at QCMB should our air assets stationed there be required.

President Kravec, your actions have been witnessed and acknowledged; if you believed that acquiring these weapons would cause Mundus to bow in deference to you, you believed wrong. The utilization of a nuclear device against any foreign power, regardless of their present standing with the First Empire, will be met with a response in kind. We've seen a Mundus on the path to consigning these weapons to the pages of history once, our determination to again realize that reality will persevere through these times.

Empress of Rokkenjima
Princess of Littlebrook

Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of the Independent Order
Empress of the First Empire of Rokkenjima

Factbook of the First Empire of Rokkenjima - Kingdom of Clysperis

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
Re: Two Minutes To Midnight
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 10:27:01 AM »

Following the news of the recent nuclear test the Kingdom of East Moreland is concerned that Slava Lavosk seeks to disrupt the greatest chance for a peaceful non-atomic future Mundus has ever had. Additionally we believe this act is one that must not be repeated and as such action by the international community must be taken. With this in mind the following actions will take place.

1. The immediate placing of the East Moreland fleet in the Kyne on high alert. This fleet shall be joined by other vessels to be dispatched as soon as possible.

2. The immediate cessation of all trade of any kind with Slava Lavosk until such a time as they have demonstrated a willingness to end their nuclear programme in line with the rest of the world.

3. A motion for a joint deployment of a CNN task force to the Kyne.

4. A motion for CNN wide cessation of trade.

5. Additional Jekar Shield assets to be deployed to the Celtic Protectorate via our allies Ui Cenneslaig/

6. An invite extended to the government of Slava Lavosk to meet with representatives of the CNN in Paracambi[1] to discuss solutions to the current situation.

Decades ago East Moreland developed nuclear weapons out of fear of our geopolitical situation. It was a situation we have since realised never constituted a need for nuclear weapons. I am of the belief that the Slava Lavosk programme is of a similar vein and therefore believe that there is actually a way forward for Slava Lavosk to remain a dignified member of the international community and be free of nuclear weapons. I believe that this is an oppurtunity worth pursuing so as a show of good faith towards the people of Slava Lavosk should President Kravec accept my offer of discussions in good faith we shall not pursue steps 1,2,4 and 5. This offer shall remain on the table for 24 hours before these steps fall into place. We have shown previously that should a nation uphold international norms we are willing to support them and should Slava Lavosk do so we would be more than happy to work alongside them in future endeavours.

May The Gods Watch Over You and Grant you Wisdom.

King David III of East Moreland
 1. already agreed with Para
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 06:55:17 PM by DaveIronside »

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Seaforth
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 04:16:41 PM »

I find it ironic that two of the three nuclear powers on mundus talk to me of peace and a way forward in a non-nuclear mundus when you clearly have benefitted from becoming nuclear powers yourself. I have attacked nor threatened any specific nation yet I am met with threats and hostility. I have, in fact, been kinder in my dealings with the Tamorans than King David has been with Kyle Barren and the Borlanders. So here is my response.

To The First Empire Of Rokkenjima. Blockade all you want. There are nations in Mundus that see us as brightly as the stars on our flag and will continue to trade with us, such as the Conglomerate and reported by Maxime Anginer in his recent article in the Defense Journal. As to your threat, I echo it back to you. The use of nuclear weapons by Rokkenjima against any nation, for any reason, will be met with a response in kind.

To the Kingdom Of East Moreland. You responded with less blood and fire and so will I. The Sea of Kyne is a lovely place and we welcome your ships to the Midaranye. We couldn't care less about the Celtic Protectorate, so deploying there is irrelevant. As for the CNN... in a massive amount of arrogance, they think they own the moon and can shoot missiles at it without permission from, well, anyone else...so they can fuck right off.

Now to all of Mundus... I am not an unreasonable man. I understand for the need to talk with our neighbours. I accept the offer to attend talks in Parcambi. I extend an invitation to any nation that wishes to attend. This will not be a closed session of the powerful only. I am also not stupid enough to go myself. Not at this time. A slavan delegation will attend, the members to be determined. We will however need assurances. With the blockade and threats and what have you, travel is both dangerous and expensive. To secure our involvement we would need a transfer of $250,000,000 Dinar of gold bullion. Call it 5 Dinar for every slave you still haven't done anything about. Said transfer can be made in the Sea of Kyne by all those ships you people are sending over.

Regards,

Kravec
« Last Edit: June 04, 2019, 04:23:49 PM by Rhodes »

Offline Tytor

• Regional Power
  • All the world's a stage...
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Tytor
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 08:38:36 PM »
Statement from the Kingdom of Tytor
In Regards to Slava Lavosk

The government of the Kingdom of Tytor takes threats to international stability very seriously.  Accordingly, the posturing of rogue states will never be accepted as legitimate attempts to engage in true diplomacy.  Mundus has already seen this type of posturing on several occasions, most notably with the former USR and Zachachevania; the international response each time was one of solidarity in the face of aggression.  It is my hope that the nations of the world will stand with us in our attempt to reign in this new aggression before it becomes too late.

With that in mind, the following actions are being implemented as I speak:

1. All imports and exports to and from Slava Lavosk are hereby suspended, with full sanctions being imposed.

2. The Tytorian ambassador to Slava Lavosk has been withdrawn from the country.  Similarly, Slava Lavosk's ambassador in Tsargrad has been summoned for a formal protest and invited to return home as soon as is convenient.

3. The Tytorian Royal Armed Forces have been placed on full alert, with the TRN's Kyne Fleet being fitted out for deployment in support of the impending Rokkenjiman blockade of Slava Lavosk.

Since the suspension of Tytor's own brief nuclear program in 1978, the Tytorian people have remained consistently opposed to international nuclear proliferation.  It is the desire of this administration to see this crisis resolved in a non-violent manner.  Should such hopes prove unreasonable, a stronger military response will be considered.  There will, however, be no concessions or so-called "assurances" given to the rogue regime in Slava Lavosk.  If they want to prove themselves willing to be reasonable, they will need to sit down with the international community without requiring a bribe ahead of time.

Once again, the Tytorian government remains firmly opposed to these new developments in Slava Lavosk.  We hope to see this crisis resolved without the use of force, but we will not rule out further military action if such proves necessary.

-Prime Minister Madeline Thatcher

(OOC: The nuclear program mentioned here operated from 1973 to 1978 and produced no weapons.  It was leaked to the press in 1978 and provoked public outcry, hence its suspension.  Tytor retains no enriched uranium from the project and would have to start over again from scratch if it decided to become a nuclear power.  It shouldn't interfere with established canon; if I'm mistaken, I will happily retcon it back out again.)
His Majesty Michael the First, by the Grace of God, King of Tytor and her Colonies, and Lord Protector of Floodwater

Factbook -- News -- Press Office

Former Governor-General of The Infinite Alliance
Former Ambassador to Albion and the Global Right Alliance
Former Vice Premier and Speaker of the Senate of the Independent Order
Professional Procrastinator

Non-partisan and proud of it

"A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire

Offline Yolotan

• Regional Power
  • Long live Vaguzia
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: The Kingdom of Vaguzia
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 12:28:02 AM »
Statement from the Kingdom of Vaguzia in regards of Slava Lavosk

We have sadly taken notice of the shocking news that Slava Lavosk have tested nuclear weapons. We find this very sad, because our country has always been nuclear weapons free and has always been fighting for nuclear disarmament, which is why it is very sad to see that Slava Lavosk has ignored this trend and now have started with testing nuclear arms. In our opinion there is only one right thing that Slava Lavosk needs to do, which is immediately stopping their nuclear programme and like Rokkenjima, East Moreland and Achkaerin contribute to a worldwide nuclear disarming, we hope Slava Lavosk starts using nuclear power for peaceful uses, like nuclear energy as Vaguzia has been doing for years, right now 80% of our energy is nuclear energy, and only a small percentage of all the uranium in our various uranium mines eventually gets used for nuclear arms, but most of them are being returned because of the nuclear disarmament of Achkaerin.
If Slava Lavosk does not stop their nuclear programme we shall be forced to do the following:

1. The immediate placing of the Vaguzian fleet in the Kyne on high alert. This fleet shall be joined by other vessels to be dispatched as soon as possible.
2. The immediate cessation of all trade of any kind with Slava Lavosk until such a time as they have demonstrated a willingness to end their nuclear programme in line with the rest of the world.
3. The Vaguzia ambassador to be withdrawn from Slava Lavosk, and the Slava Lavosk ambassador shall be requested to leave Vaguzia and return to Slava Lavosk

We also want to make clear we do not support the blockade of Rokkenjima and Tytor, we view these actions as too early and not well thought through, and we also view the blockade illegal by international law.

-Prime Minister Aaron Kaalit

Offline Persephone

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Griss Confederacy
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 12:41:37 AM »

The Orphela Imperium would like to urge caution from all parties. The rapid development of military assets is exactly what is going to escalate this situation far more than needs be. The First Empire and Tytor are free to send their ships into the region, but there is no need to immediately respond with a military blockade when Slava Lavosk has made no directly aggressive military actions against anyone else. To respond with such hostility to the existence of nuclear weapons while other nations posses similar armaments seems unfair. Not to mention the violation of international law. This is not to disregard the wrench that has been thrown into international nuclear disarmament effort, but rather to remind that Slava Lavosk was not part of any international agreement on this subject. Many of the nations that have responded may not understand the anxiety the of lack nuclear weaponry can mean as they either possess their own arsenals or are aligned with nations that do. As such, Orphela asks that at the very least, to suspend any blockade until after the talks in Parcambi. If not, the Imperium will be sending a task force of its own for the protection of international commercial ships. 

To President Kravec, you clearly are not an unreasonable man. I can to some extend understand the perceived threat to your own life. I would like to personally ask, if the blockade is put on hold, can this call for "a transfer of $250,000,000 Dinar of gold bullion" also be suspended for the time being? In addition, I would like to offer whatever form the Slavan delegation takes part of my own honor guard as their security detail in Parcambi. I hope that this helps to elevate at least some of your fears and worries.

Signed,
Governess Niru,
Matriarch of the Omega Bloodline

(OOC: I believe everything in regards to international conventions/agreements is accurate, if not please let me know and I'll fit/edit as needed)

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2019, 04:58:24 AM »

An Open Reply To Governess Niru

Governess Niru,

While you seem of well intention on this matter I do not believe you understand the full gravity of the situation, nor the very fact of Slava Lavosk introducing nuclear weapons is itself the direct aggressive act. With the mutual disarmament of Rokkenjima, East Moreland and Achkaerin we, in effect, were on the cusp of realizing a Mundus finally free of nuclear weapons. As such there remains no just cause, nor reason, for the pursuit of nuclear arms by any state, save those with nefarious intent. I recognize both the unique responsibility our three states have, as well as the responsibility of all states, in the realization of that effort. Slava Lavosk has seen the global march to disarmament and cast Mundus back into a dangerous era, for which maximum pressure must be brought to bear to ensure the destruction of Slava Lavosk's nuclear program and show that the cost of the pursuit of nuclear arms, with the shared desire for a nuclear-free Mundus, is most certainly not worth it.

Thus the anxiety of which you speak is one which would only be held by a state paranoid of its own future. Slava Lavosk is a state which holds one of the worst human rights records in Mundus, having crucified a young girl whilst simultaneously catapulting and beheading her father before her very eyes. This is in addition to the extensive system of detention camps and systemic persecution of Slavans of Tamoran descent. President Kravec is not a reasonable man who enjoys the benefit of the doubt; if he is capable of such cruel inventions with a mere trenchbucket, I pray we do not see what he is capable of with nuclear arms added to his arsenal.

We stand on a precipice, a crucial juncture in the history of the world we share, and the decisions and actions we take today shall shape Mundus for generations to come. Either we realize a Mundus free of nuclear weapons and all the horrors which may be born of them, or one where the future of our world hangs always upon a line drawn in a mushroom cloud. We already saw a Mundus free of nuclear arms coming into full focus; that path, that Mundus, must not be smothered to appease the whims of a most dangerous sycophant.

Later today we shall see various moves to address the concerns some have raised, and to ensure the future free of nuclear arms we have worked greatly to ensure.

Respectfully;

Empress of Rokkenjima
Princess of Littlebrook

Beatrice Anselmo

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2019, 02:56:21 PM »
OOC Note:

Just before this goes any further (and because this has been discussed on Discord in last day or so and I've been asked once or twice about it) I think it worth clarifying in simple terms what the IC legal position actually is I'm doing so as an OOC note in the hope of helpfully explaining where we presently stand.

At time of writing the Blockade proposed by Rokkenjima and Tytor is by the application of the Fair Seas Concordat (UNCLOS in rl) illegal as the proposed operation of the blockade would deny innocent passage to vessels as well as several other sections of the treaty that would appear to make it impossible to do what Rokkenjima and Tytor propose to do. However everyone should bear in mind that nowhere in the FSC does it explicitly say that nations cannot blockade. There does exist in both rl and on Mundus a mechanism that could change the legality position, however the Mundus version of it would in my opinion at least (because of what it involves) not be as convincing as the rl equivalent. In short we've run into the problem of taking an rl treaty and just applying it to Mundus.

So long story short so far anyone who has said the blockade is illegal is as far as I can make out correct, Rokkenjima and Tytor do have one option to get this more solid but that may create more problems though they may not have a choice in this particular instance.

Anyway I'll shut up now and we can get back to IC on this.

Offline Paracambi

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Paracambi
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2019, 03:49:10 PM »

The horrors capable of being caused by nuclear weapons are well documented and do not deserve to be dwelt on. For decades nations across Mundus have looked at the three powers with these weapons and prayed that a day would come that they would give them up. That day is soon to be at hand, or was. With all three nuclear capable nations in the final stretch of disarmament that dream has now been derailed. We understand the urge nations have to defend themselves and seek peace, we believe though this is doable without nuclear weapons.

We had been approached by East Moreland and the CNN to host talks, however at the request of Slava Lavosk we see no reason why these talks may not feature others, however these nations should require no pre-conditions and not take place under the shadow of aggressive actions such as blockades. As for paying Slava Lavosk any assurances we find this distasteful. However if safety is a concern the Paracambian military will be happy to provide all transportation to and from Slava Lavosk.

We hope that all nations will take the opportunity to re-evaluate their positions and take this as an opportunity to make Mundus a safer place through dialogue rather than at the point of a nuclear weapon.

In Hope

Emperor Benson of Paracambi
High Hougon of the Vodou Faith.

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Nya Åland/Ui Cenneslaig
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2019, 09:06:51 PM »

In the 21st Century we have weapons capable of great accuracy and ingeniuty. It should be possible in this day and age for any war to be waged with minimal loss of life, infact the Uppsala Convention says it is our duty to keep collateral damage to a minimum. It would therefore be safe to conclude that the development of nuclear weapons is going against this principle. As such we would ask Slava Lavosk to work with those members of the international community who are seeking to disarm or who are looking to follow a path of diplomacy.

As such we hope Slava Lavosk accept the invitation of Paracambi and we look forward to meeting with your representatives.

Signed

King Finley

As a nation who suffered a disaster many have regarded as being as close to nuclear war as it is possible to come we are perhaps the best placed on Mundus to understand the horrors any nation possessing nuclear weapons will be. We are delighted that East Moreland, Rokkenjima and Achkaerin have seen sense and given up their nuclear weapons and urge Slava Lavosk to do the same.

As such we wish to attend talks between our nations to discuss a way forward and back towards a nuclear free Mundus. While we believe any nation paying for Slava Lavosk to attend talks is essentially potentially funding a nuclear project we believe that currently Slava Lavosk is a nation seemingly feeling isolated from the international community. With this in mind we wish to show them the same support the international community showed us during our great disaster and as such would be willing to give the government of Slava Lavosk a line of credit with our nation worth 250million dinar. This line of credit is good for any goods, services or materials not of a military nature.

We hope this support gives Slava Lavosk the confidence to see that at international talks it would not be them against the world.

Odin's Blessings

Stein Ulfsson
Head Gothi

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2019, 10:56:35 PM »

On the evening of the 6th of November 1945 my grandfather Emperor William Azurewind gave an order that changed the world it was simply two words "Initiate Heavenrend" but the actions those words sent into motion were shocking for those were the words that authorised the dropping of a nuclear bomb on the Ardian Empire on the 7th of November 1945, an act which although it ended the Great War period also let the nuclear genie out of the bottle in a weapons sense and thankfully to this day remains the only time in history where a nuclear weapon has been used in a war. I have read my grandfather's diaries of that time and have come to understand how difficult a decision that was to make, I don't know what decision I would have made at that time I don't think anyone can because we weren't there but I can say it was a decision that my grandfather described in his diary as "The most difficult decision I have ever had to make, a decision that will see many die but will also many survive. It is a decision that will hopefully end this long and costly war but it is not one that we can be proud of for the consequences of it will surely be long lasting. It is a course of action that will take the world down a dark path but to not take this path will likely see this war last for decades to come with no end in sight. There is nothing brave about it for this is the darkest of all options but one of the things about leading is that you cannot always make the right call sometimes you have to make the best bad call you can. I can only hope that future generations will forgive us for unleashing this demon of our own design. "

Last year King David, Empress Beatrice and myself in quick succession made announcements committing once and for all to a future where Mundus would be free from the spectre of nuclear weapons, there was no treaty, no obligations demanding certain things, no hurdles where previous attempts had placed them we took this decision because we wanted to end the threat that nuclear weapons posed not only to each other but to all of Mundus. As much as my grandfather felt ashamed in 1945 so last year I was proud to commit to what we did and we were well within touching distance of a nuclear weapon free Mundus. An outcome now threatened by Slava Lavosk's nuclear weapons development, something we condemn unreservedly and will utilize our assets in the region to monitor the situation as necessary, make no mistake this is an unwelcome development.

We no longer live in the times of might makes right, we have laws both national and international, we live in a world where for the first time we have an international document that protects peoples rights, a world where we have rules governing what goes on in the stars surrounding our planet and in the cold wastes at the poles. We have rules governing war in the Uppsalla Convention, and we have laws governing what goes on on the seas of our world. We haven't fought so many wars against a long list of nations who sought to impose this ideology of might makes right on Mundus to only adopt it when it is convenient and our own lauded treaties are problematic. No we are surely better than that, if a treaty raises a concern then you must deal with the concern this is what we suggest should happen in the case of the blockade there is an issue that this illustrates and as such addressing that should be the first step.

To Rokkenjima I remind them that Achkaerin has a very clear policy on the use of military force it is a last resort and as such there will be no authorisation for military operations out of QCMB at this time. The first step in any situation like this is talking and that is what should be done, Achkaerin will have a representative at any such talks that take place we hope other nations will as well. It is far better to resolve this with words of peace than to give orders that will ultimately cost lives.

Signed

Emperor Peter Azurewind

Offline Lakhzovia

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Lakhzovia
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2019, 10:37:40 AM »

Statement on Slava Lavosk

Lakhzovia must express its concern at the current situation surrounding Slava Lavosk and the Midaranye region.

It is understandable that nations across Mundus may react with apprehension at the testing of a nuclear device, signalling the admittance of a new nation into small handful that possess nuclear weapons capabilities. However the current rush to blockade the country and the locating of military assets in the region present a dangerous escalation of the situation.

While the protests from the nuclear armed nations, that Slava Lavosk threatens the disarmament process that has been underway, is understandable, it must also be appreciated that this process is not yet complete and comes with no guarantees or means to ensure total disarmament. Added to this the recent leaks that show that at least one of these powers has continued to develop weapons systems intended to support delivery of nuclear warheads, a fact which calls into question the sincerity of commitment to eradicating such weapons.

It must be appreciated that Slava Lavosk has found itself the target of significant pressure from both its neighbours and global imperialist powers who have intervened in its dispute with Tamora. Given the threat of intervention from outside powers and a simmering border conflict with the theocratic Tamoran slave state that threatens a devastating war, it is wholly understandable that Slava Lavosk would seek to protect itself by any means necessary.

Nuclear weapons are, without a doubt, the single greatest deterrent in existence. No nation would be suicidal enough to attempt an outright invasion of a state which as a final act of defiance could unleash untold damage on its attacker. As such Lakhzovia fully understands why possession of such weapons would be attractive to Slava Lavosk, eradicating the risk of invasion from Tamora and deterring intervention from moral crusader nations determined to enforce their agenda on an unwilling country. Had Lakhzovia possessed such weapons it is highly unlikely that we would have been threatened with invasion and regime change during our civil war.

Our message to all parties involved, or involving themselves, in the current crisis is to immediately cease the provocative escalations which threaten the entire region. For the outside powers, including our close friends and allies Rokkenjima, we beg you to cease interference in Midaranye, especially considering it was such interference in the first place that created the pressure that led to the Slava Lavoskian nuclear programme.

No resolution to the issue of nuclear proliferation can be achieved by further threatening the security and stability of Slava Lavosk or the Midaranye region. Rather the destabilisation and threats to security risk pushing other states to seek a nuclear deterrent against potential interventions from the imperialist bloc. The current situation can only be defused by a deescalation of tensions and with the provision of a framework in which the security of Slava Lavosk is guaranteed after the termination of their nuclear programme and arsenal.

Now is not a time for gun boat diplomacy or sabre rattling, only a negotiated settlement free from the threat of military intervention can possibly hope to create a secure and peaceful future for the region. For its part Lakhzovia is willing to act in whatever capacity it is able to help mediate in this matter.

Sachim Kadassa
President of the Lakhzov Republic

Offline Kopsje

• Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Abuqiya
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2019, 01:43:56 AM »
Statement on the Slava Lovask Situation

The powers which seek to address the Slava Lovask situation with hasteful action, actions which are misguided, aggressive, and hostile not just to the nation of Slava Lovask but to the entirety of the region, are inadvertently only furthering the damage and decay of Mid-Aranye. It is without question that any nation which perceives itself threatened from a hostile power will take drastic measures to ensure the security and sovereignty of their own nation. The actions taken by Slava Lovask are evident of this. It is curious that the powers which clamor for a nuclear free Mundus are the very nations who posses or have possessed such nuclear weapons in the past with a similar reasoning; and while it may be perceived as extreme to those ignorant of the state of  affairs within Mid-Aranye, in truth it highlights as to how decayed and fragile the status of Mid-Arayne truly is.

As such it is once again with great regret that the region of  Mid-Aranye must find itself at the mercy of intrusion by foreign powers. Blockades, threats of military action, and deployment of military assets are not the answer to the situation only further tension to an already strained station. While it is true the utilization of nuclear based weapons is an  alarming action capable of dire consequences, the interference of foreign powers and their threats to the sovereignty of a nation acting within the interests of its own security is equally alarming capable of its own consequences. However it is not just Slava Lovask who must now endure hostile action of foreign powers but the entirety of Mid-Arayne whether directly or inadvertently. The economic security of Mid-Arayne is now at risk of its own intrusion. Not all nations are blessed with access ease of access to maritime trade. A fact many seemingly overlook in their approach to foreign policy. The Lavosk situation once again reaffirms this presumption.

The situation of Slava Lavosk has only added to the culmination of the chaos that  is sweeping the region of Mid Arayne. Chaos that cannot be solved by aggressive action, rather must be addressed by open and true diplomatic discussion. It is thus that Abuqiya supports the motion for an open forum to further discuss the situation at large while urging all hostile action economical or military halted until said diplomatic discussions are to be had. 

By the will of the Qarjiyat ,
on behalf of the Supreme State Assembly
Azhiran guide us
~ Commitee of International Relations.

Offline Lady Amaya

• Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Tauredalia
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2019, 09:33:51 AM »

Official Statement from the Confederated Kingdoms of Tauredalia
After several days of conferring with my peers and a conclave of advisers and experts, it is with a heavy heart that I must make the following proclamation regarding the unfortunate Slava Lovask Situation:

As Emperor Azurewind poetically stated, there is a horrific gravity surrounding the use of nuclear weaponry. However, the three nuclear nations involved have failed to recognize the necessity of a stockpile, especially in light of the overreaction of said nations to Slava Lovask's tests. It is the unfortunate reality that nuclear weapons are the great equalizer: one weapon can level an entire city and obliterate all inhabitants of an area. This means that no matter how many funds one pumps into a nation's armed forces to defend itself, the best defense is the threat of mutual annihilation. For smaller nations that do not have the economic opportunity that Achkaerin, East Moreland, and Rokkenjima have had, a nuclear weapons program allows us to defend ourselves and our economic and national interests on an equal playing field. It guarantees our sovereignty, despite the international reaction, and in fact the latter underlines the necessity: the coalition of nations condemning Slava Lovask will not invade the nation and are instead relying on other tools.

The current nuclear agreements are flawed. While Achkaerin, East Moreland, and Rokkenjima claim that they will disarm and dismantle their stockpiles, the organization that will oversee it does not yet exist, nor does it seem rooted in reality. These nations also claim that they will not allow another nuclear nation, yet their reaction shows more a concern about the potential undermining of their status quo than maintaining international peace; it this were about peace, then talks would have been proposed, not blockades. Finally, there is no incentive not to nuclearize. The understood threat was the current powers would do something about it, but to paraphrase Emperor Azurewind, by the time that happens, the genie is already out of the bottle. A better incentive is needed for any hopeful nuclear powers to dismantle their programs.

In the case of the latter, I humbly suggest that some assurances are made for those nations willing to stay non-nuclear, assurances of the same kind that would occur from becoming a nuclear nation: protections of sovereignty and, unfortunately, from other nuclear powers. It is also ridiculous not to allow militarization of nuclear technology as this technology is not only used in medicine - and by default, use of nuclear medicine in the military would militarize it - but also to power ships and bases. As Mundus is supposedly moving toward Green Power, it would be silly to imply that we must stick to petroleum and coal, though Tauredalia would enjoy the ensured revenue.

Finally, I would like to remind Achkaerin, East Moreland, and Rokkenjima that Mundus is watching. Echoing other leaders, it is more important to show yourself as leaders and sit down and speak with the delegation of Slava Lovask rather than trying to browbeat the country into doing your bidding. Your actions will dictate how the nuclear genie is contained.

May Archangel Uesis watch over all of you,

King Darya behr Daryan de Kernpak
First Among Equals, by virtue of the Council of Kings

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2019, 01:02:25 AM »

The Republic of Slava Lavosk extends our heartfelt thanks to the nations and leaders across Mundus who have expressed empathy and compassion in their issued statements regarding the immense pressure and threat my beloved country finds itself under. As the world has witnessed the Rokkenjiman and Tamoran Empires seeks to crush us by any means, legal or illegal, that they can employ...recruiting such boot licking sycophants to their purpose as they may.

Our sincere thanks go out to The Conglomerate who has stated they will defy this illegal and insidious blockade of Slava Lavosk. It is my wish that we can meet in peace to ensure the survival of my nation. Therefore, I pledge a delegation of Slavans, headed by Markus Bathory, will attend the talks in Paracambi under their pledge of security. I rescind my demand for $250,000,000 Dinar in gold bullion and accept both the offered life insurance offered by the SCIF  and line of credit offered by Nya Aland.

Kravec

Offline Paracambi

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2019, 10:11:43 AM »
With all the delegates arrived it was time to get things started. The oppressive heat meant the air conditioning in Aluhampton Palace was turned up almost to full. The Emperor had welcomed each of the guests with a handshake starting first with the Morelanders who had contacted him about hosting this conference. Benson had ensured however that the seating arrangements didn't put any nations of the CNN, SANE or this new fangled Rokkenjiman proposal next to each other and thus at least visually it could be said that nations were not ganging up. He'd remained on the porch of the large old white stone Palace until confident everyone was here and then made his way inside taking his seat at the table closest to the door. He looked around trying to gauge the thoughts of those present and then began.

"May I start by welcoming you all to Aluhampton. In many ways you're like buses, no international delegations have come here in so long but then you all arrive at once. I am only saddened that it has taken such an occasion as this to get you all to visit our country. Before I begin I would like a moment to offer a prayer to the loa." Next to him was a small bowl that had an idol in, he would have liked to have had everyone outside and sacrifice a chicken or goat but he also realised that may go against the sensitivities of some present. Instead he produced a small bottle with a thick red liquid in. "Lo I ask the loa to hear these words and see this offering" he removed the lid and began pouring the blood over the wooden idol. "Today the nations of Mundus sit here requiring your guidance and intervention for the passing of a fair and just resolution to a potential conflict. Allow Papa Legba to allow us to make the right decision at these crossroads." With that he clapped three times and then knocked the idol over so it was fully covered in the bottled blood. An aide handed him a finger bowl of water and a towel for him to clean his hands.

"Thank you for listening to that Vodou prayer. I think it fits us rather well here today for we truly stand at a number of crossroads. That between war and peace, being nuclear free and the spectre of nuclear weapons being a reality, the ideas of friendship or adversity. if we take the wrong road then we are as a world in big trouble. Now the idea of today is to walk the right path. To achieve that we need to do three things in my view.

First we need to ensure nations may protect themselves. To do that we must ensure that we allow nations to have defensive capabilities sufficient to their needs. This however must be balanced with the second thing, the need to feel safe, knowing a nation next door has a weapon of mass destruction does not help in this regard. Thirdly we need to ensure that we do not need to repeat this process ever again. With that in mind I propose to go first to the current nuclear powers, we can not ask Slava Lavosk to give up its nuclear weapons unless we see those nations remain steadfast in their own promises. I would like to hear Achkaerin, East Moreland and Rokkenjima inform us of the current state of their disarmament process, I would also like to and this is jumping the gun, like them to allow ourselves, Nya Aland, a country determined by the three nuclear powers in unison and a nation selected by Slava Lavosk to verify this information, in much the same way the Mundus Atomic Energy Agency proposed in its draft charter.

I would also be interested in hearing the concerns relating to the current situation other nations around the table have."

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2019, 10:11:40 AM »
King David had arrived and had a short meeting with the other CNN members, it was also good to meet Emperor Benson face to face especially as East Moreland was hoping to conclude a trade deal with TUNA. He waited for the Vodou prayer to be over and listened to Benson set the scene before realising it was up to them to kick things off. "I'd like to start by thanking those in attendance for trusting that this issue can be solved diplomatically. Especially Emperor Benson for hosting this and the Conglomerate and Nya Aland for their work behind the scenes to make things happen. I'd like to say a few things before giving Emperor Benson the information he requested though. The first is that nuclear weapons are the genie in the lamp that should never have been rubbed. They have become a way of nations being able to ignore other means of conflict resolution because they know at the end of the day that the red button can achieve their aims generally without compromise. That is something I think should not happen in the 21st Century. We live on a planet with enough issues without adding nuclear explosions to them. The other thing I'd like to say is that there are nations around this table, mine included that have developed the ability and technology to all but make ourselves shielded from potential nuclear attacks. We have other nations around this table who do not have that ability and I therefore call on those present who can to offer a hand of friendship to neighbours who don't. For example we have agreements with Heyra….the Conglomerate to use our Air Defence umbrella to cover them, similar agreements exist with Nemerie. Regional partnerships working in co-operation can and should be supportive of each other in this regard. While I appreciate that Midaranye has its own unique situations I believe a solution can be found. In the past for example we have offered Jekars Sling to nations on loan, nations we have not seen eye to eye on in terms of certain matters. As we sit here we have a system installed in the Celtic Protectorate to help protect Royal Seleucid, we also would use that system to intercept missiles crossing Royal Selecuid aimed at Tamora, despite our nation often being ridiculed in their press. Should Slava Lavosk request it we would be willing to use that system for attacks heading in the opposite direction too.

Now in terms of what Emperor Benson requested to know. Once upon a time East Moreland had a nuclear arsenal of gravity weapons and cruise missiles. As we sit here all of our gravity bombs are now decommissioned and are sat in various nuclear reactors across East Moreland and Lodja. All but one of our cruise missiles have been decommissioned and likewise are now making cups of tea. That single missile is currently stored at a secure facility in East Moreland awaiting decommission. I have no issues with having people come and watch the historic decommissioning, I therefore look forward to welcoming a observer from Paracambi, Nya Aland, the Conglomerate if they agree and a nation of President Kravec's choosing to visit and witness the act of decommissioning. I however have two conditions, the first is that the Royal East Moreland Air Force handle the transport arrangements, and the second is that whoever is witnessing the decommissioning is willing to act as part of future inspection teams of the fledgling Mundus Atomic Energy Agency. The reason being they will be the most experienced atomic energy inspectors on Mundus. Those conditions being meet then East Moreland will be nuclear free potentially within a week of this meeting."

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2019, 05:45:20 AM »
Beatrice rose to her feet following the King. "History is often said to repeat itself, yet it always seems to catch us by surprise does it not? Nearly six years ago Mundus found itself around the peace table in Ecclesiarreich where the United Soviet Russia wished to impose upon Mundus its version of order, order enforced via the weaponization of GR-3. In a monumental display of unity and perserverence the international community, save the allies of Stalin, opposed and condemned the visions of a madman. In a voice of unison we said no to this world and, in the end, forced the United Soviet Russia to abandon the path it so strongly fought for and ensured that these most dangerous and unpredictable weapons did not become a daily fear for the Peoples of Mundus. Looking back at some of my words on that day I am reminded of an exchange in which I stated:"

If there must be two 'sides', it would be on the issues of biological weapons and international norms; those who have developed them and those who have not, as well as those who have come together to forge such norms and those who have cast them aside, trampling the rights of several nations in the Great Northern Sea. It is, thus, our responsibility to see these weapons consigned to the dustbins of history while not allowing precedents to be set which would damn us all to a future of chaos.

"Woefully, we could not have forseen that the Kingdom of East Moreland, the Holy Empire of Achkaerin and the First Empire of Rokkenjima, Mundus' sole nuclear powers until most recent events, would bring about a historic disarmament, bringing a nuclear-free Mundus just within view, only for it to be torn asunder by a new madman, this time hailing from Slava Lavosk. One must ask 'why', what purpose could President Kravec hold for this move when the nuclear powers had implemented programs to consign their arsenals to the pages of history? Why did he tear the vision of a nuclear-free Mundus apart?"

"Perhaps regime preservation, it's logical and the easiest to assume, although I can only assume that he did not consider that Rokkenjima would design its disarmament with such a contingency in mind. For when all nuclear powers agree to disarm, only the most malicious of intent may give birth to such a pursuit. To allow Slava Lavosk to trample upon the collective security and rights of the international community is quite simply not an option this First Empire is willing to consider. Wheras Mundus once possessed the facilities and will to stand up to a most obvious threat to the entirety of civilization, today we hear calls that the 'concerns' of Kravec must be addressed, all while ignoring the fact that had he not embarked upon this course we'd have seen a complete global disarmament of Mundus' collective nuclear arsenals."

"Have we lost touch with all semblance of sensibility that we find ourselves today faced with the dictator of a nation, who houses tens of thousands of people in a network of detainment camps across his nation for the sole crime of their heritage, who employs as a means of execution for a girl just shy out of secondary school crucifixion while lobbing her father through the air with a trench bucket before her very eyes? Not to speak of his beheading. This is a man Mundus has called "reasonable" and worthy of trust in good-faith negotiations?"

"Instead we have those amongst us who view blockading such a nation as morally wrong, and would rather rush to the defense of this dictator, in essence appeasing him for whatever reason. I will say this before you today, in crystal clear language: the First Empire does not negotiate with terrorists, and this is the crux of the matter before us. For it can only be called what it is when one nation, against the grain of prevalent winds, proclaims for itself the most destructive weapons known to humanity. To reward him, to appease his desires or concerns, allows him victory by default; it establishes the precedent that the entirety of the community of nations may be held ransom to the whims of one man; I shall not establish that precedent."

"A Mundus free of the most destructive of weapons was within reach, the 'concerns' of those without weapons of mass destruction would have been solved without issue, yet here we are today because of one man, however, who saw an opportunity to extract concessions from the community of nations. He detonated a weapon of his own, and sits back in laughter as nations see those who stand to act against his path of madness as the problem. President Kravec is the problem, his budding nuclear arsenal is the problem, and either he shall disarm of his own accord, or he shall be disarmed. The free peoples of Mundus shall not be held hostage, nor pay ransom, for a future free of this madness."

"These are the stakes; we either stand united in face of this collective threat, or say to the despots and terrorists that the Peoples of Mundus can be held ransom, and will pay that ransom with a smile on their face. Once, and only once, Slava Lavosk has disarmed may we entertain the idea of negotiations. A man such as Kravec is not worth the benefit of the doubt, his intentions are already laid bare before you, and the precedent which negotiating on the terms of his nuclear bullet will command the steepest of prices in the future. We cannot afford to set the standard that one man may hold the whole of Mundus in the palm of his hand."

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Paracambi

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2019, 09:33:29 AM »
Benson stood, "Terrorism is defined as "the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims" now that being said I believe there are many nations around this table that could fit that description. Rokkenjima recently used the threat of perceiving a neighbour joining SANE as an aggressive move towards them, a nuclear power considering joining something an aggressive act is likely to intimidate any non-nuclear power. Likewise we've seen East Moreland launch unannounced attacks on an enclave referred to as many as The Principality of Northern Borland, a "nation" that sits entirely within Zimalia. This is an unlawful act of violence in the pursuit of a political aim. Now if the Empress wishes to ignore the requests of my nation to inform us of their moves towards disarmament then what she is doing is showing the rest of a concerned world a lack of courtesy. Those nations neutral here such as myself and several others wish to see nukes gone, to that end we see this conference not about one threat, but about four. East Moreland, Slava Lavosk, Achkaerin and your own. We've seen East Moreland commit to removing themselves from that list but rather than informing us of where you sit on that list you choose. The Empress says "here we are today because of one man, however, who saw an opportunity to extract concessions from the community of nations" let me remind East Moreland, Achkaerin and Rokkenjima that much of what they have gained for themselves historically can perhaps be traced to exactly that. Rokkenjima, Achkaerin and East Moreland all have a permanent military prescience outside their nation. Would that small matter of imperialism happened if they were not nuclear armed, did the thought of having a nuclear power protecting their nation slip into the hosts mentality. I believe that can not be ruled out. Now the Empress has as I see it two choices, one she can respond to the concerns of other nations such as ourselves who wish to know when disarmament will come about and see some actual commitment to that process and as a result become part of a solution we shall hopefully see come about today. Or she can leave." 

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2019, 08:20:45 PM »

Duke Raynald Lachlan the Foreign Minister and representative of the Kingdom of Seaforth stood.

"If I may interject...I can confirm that the Kingdom of Seaforth has dismantled 164 warheads from the Rokkenjiman arsenal with another 12 in transit or in the process of being dismantled. That program, called the Seaforth Strategic Energy Reserve has since been suspended by Empress Beatrice with no plans beyond the 176 weapons in place. Other efforts of nuclear disarmament made by the Rokkenjiman Empire are unknown to us and I leave to Empress Beatrice to comment on if there are any. Thank you."

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2019, 12:17:42 AM »
"The Rokkenjiman disarmament program is quite public, having been announced jointly with the Kingdom of Seaforth, with the eventual fate of Rokkenjiman weapons being to provide electrical power for a multitude of purposes. Those weapons already disarmed and dedicated to the generation of electricity should serve as "actual commitment", or perhaps the Rokkenjiman initiative calling for a Treaty of Non-Proliferation and eradication of nuclear arms, which included the proposal for the MAEA, may also show this much desired proof of commitment. I will also remind His Highness that Rokkenjima has not sought for itself bases, nor has it imposed itself upon any nation; we were invited, and it was not because of the arsenal we inherited from the Federal Republic, but relationships built upon mutual trust and common aims."

"We've no issue of independent verification, such as Xaeth, and numbers have already been provided by the Kingdom of Seaforth."

"As soon as we have verified that Slava Lavosk is free of nuclear weapons and its program is dismantled the Strategic Energy Reserve will resume just as it existed before. I shall refrain from commenting upon those issues which His Highness speaks without full knowledge, or depth, of the myriad situations involved."
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 05:39:43 AM by Beatrice »

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Lady Amaya

• Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Tauredalia
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2019, 08:09:44 AM »
OOC: From my understanding, we are all invited to this meeting. Forgive me if not.
IC:
King Darya behr Daryan de Kernpak was quite annoyed with the situation he now found himself in. Tauredalia was far from a unified country: each of its several kingdoms had their own monarch, who had their personal opinion on the grave matter. If Darya truly held absolute power, then it would simplify matters. He was not an unreasonable man and found nuclear weapons to be distasteful. On the other hand, the opinions of his Daalish peers could not be disharmonious. Grand Duke de Kiwa wished only to make peace with the international community, toadying to them in the unlikelihood that their submission would please the nuclear trio, while King de Vallmuman and Prince Hadur cried for blood over the illegal blockade and its threat to Slava Lavosk sovereignty. After a brief, fiery display of anger, King de Manach calmed down and called for cooler heads. None of these reactions helped Darya, who needed consensus among the monarchs, and he walked a thin line.

While watching the Paracambi emperor give his prayer, it occurred to Darya that he too should pray to his gods, but he realized that he did not know which would be wiser the wiser choice: the Angels, who would might preserve peace, or the Demons, who might help create a new equitable status quo. In this end, he simply prayed to the gods of their host; it was their country, so they might be the best to bless the proceedings.

Darya kept his face neutral during the others' speeches, but he decided now was his time to speak. "The issue here that we're tiptoeing around is whether or not it is within Slava Lovask's sovereign rights to have a nuclear program. Rokkenjima seems to claim that it is within only the rights of the three original nuclear nations, forgetting that there are hundreds of other nations that exist, and while I do find it unfortunately distasteful to side with Slava Lovask given its human rights record, it is still a sovereign nation. It wasn't until it decided to test its nuclear weaponry that the nations around this table decided to step in... And make issue of its human rights record. As it keeps being stated, there are conventional methods by which the international community could have interfered before this point, but it is suddenly only an issue because this nation is now nuclear. Contrary to HRH's assertions, Slava Lovask has not threatened the international community. It has only asserted its right to be nuclear, which is a sovereign right until the community decides otherwise, and since the decision that only three nuclear nations could exist was made without the consent of the international community, I believe it is within our rights to continue our respective nuclear programs to secure our own sovereignty. Otherwise we are allowing this alliance to dictate policy, which emboldens them to make other decisions that they can reinforce with the only nuclear arsenals in existence."

Offline Paracambi

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2019, 09:55:13 AM »
Benson stood once more. "The Empress is still to provide the information or comment on the assurances this meeting have asked for. I have now twice asked Rokkenjima to inform us of the progress of their disarmament, something apparently Seaforth is more willing to inform the world of than Rokkenjima itself. Furthermore I asked would they be willing to let ourselves, Nya Aland as the driving force behind the MAEA which will hopefully form soon, they were asked to nominate a country of their choosing  and also allow Slava Lavosk to appoint a nation. So far only one nuclear nation has even commented on this request."

Benson then turned his attention to King Darya, "People have made issue of Slava Lavosk's human rights before. I believe the Maori asked permission to inspect what the Slava Lavosk government referred to as "resettlement camps", East Moreland stopped the shipment of military materials to the nation. To say their human rights record has been ignored is a vast simplification of the matter. Beside our opposition to Slava Lavosk is not on the grounds of its human rights record, it is that in the face of the world being able to reach an unparalleled state of peace with all three nuclear nations finally being persuaded to give up their weapons we have a nation willing to cast us all back to those times. Yes none of us were consulted when East Moreland, Rokkenjima and Achkaerin created weapons, or when Achkaerin took the decision to use their bomb. But that was a time when the means and methods of making international agreements did not exist. We today have various organisations that allow this to happen and as such the need for weapons of mass destruction does not exist. The world is safer without nuclear weapons and that should be something everyone around the table agrees on and should strive to create.

OOC Note provided by Dave - Just a reminder that to have nukes in RP you need to gain permission of the RP Mod. To get that you need to write a history of the nuclear programme of your nation that fits in with the canon of the region. You also need to have an approved military factbook and a proposed arsenal that fits that military factbook. I have zero issues with people claiming a "Nuclear programme" however no nukes are getting authorised without the above. There has been some discussion about whether OOC to ban nukes completely as was the case before this process began and the move of the big three towards disarmament was to see the possibility of being a nuke free RP once more without having to retcon. If people have any concerns or comments about this please PM me.

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2019, 02:11:37 PM »
Emperor Peter Azurewind had sat and listened to everything that had been said thus far and he was far from surprised how sadly predictable it was for Rokkenjima to create mountains out molehills and drive them straight to an impasse like this. However their host seemed to have a good head on his shoulders and was in all honesty doing an admirable job of keeping them on track. Sat next to Peter was his niece Sakura, brought along for two reasons - firstly she was the daughter of Achkaerin's Minister of Defence and knew a fair amount about the subject matter, the second reason was that she was quite an active diplomat and knew a fair number of the players in the room making her an ideal contact point leaving Peter free to focus on the talks taking place.

Peter got to his feet and looked around at the assembled representatives for a moment.

"Last year King David, Empress Beatrice and myself made three statements completely independently of each other and completely without any direct pressure from each other. We each said that the nuclear arsenal that our respective countries possessed would be decommissioned, we have since each set about the task with different levels of progress and I will shortly come to Achkaerin's progress and such as requested by Emperor Benson but if I may first state why this decision was taken, obviously I can't speak for King David and Empress Beatrice but for me there were three reasons the first was that there existed no threat on Mundus that warranted the continued maintaining of a nuclear arsenal, and a year later I still don't believe that anything has changed that affects this point. The second reason is one that King Finley alluded to in his statement in advance of this meeting - these are weapons inconsistent with the principles of the Uppsalla Convention, even if owning such weapons is not outlawed by that convention, it is clear that when nations are put into the position where they have exhausted all other options and are left with only military intervention that such intervention must be within the principles of that convention, King Finley correctly identified that in a modern Mundus wars and interventions can and have been waged with minimal loss of life on all sides. The third reason is that despite what may be thought in our own corridors of power about nuclear weapons being a shield, they are going to be viewed as a sword in those nations that do not possess them, with no threat warranting their continued possession it was clear that the only reasonable course was disarmament.

Now to Emperor Benson's requests I can report that at this moment in time the Achkaerinese decommissioning of nuclear weapons stands at 33% decommissioned and verified by the Kingdom of Vaguzia as per our bi-lateral treaty, I also believe that the energy of those weapons is now powering the Vaguzian power grid. We currently estimate that our final warhead will be decommissioned in around six to ten months at current speed to give the ball park estimate which we also believe would be after Rokkenjima finishes its decommissioning based on what we know of their progress. I should explain that the reason Achkaerin is seemingly behind in this process is due to the legislative considerations at home compounded by the Vaguzian elections and death of King Leonard. In terms of the requests made for inspection, I see no obstacle to allowing observers from Paracambi and Nya Aland to observe the decommissioning process, I also see no issue with someone chosen by Slava Lavosk observing it though like King David I take the view that all the observers involved in this should be prepared to act under the banner of the MAEA because that is the appropriate safeguard. This would also apply to the other observer which if I understood Emperor Benson correctly was to be chosen by ourselves, East Moreland and Rokkenjima together? I'm happy for him correct me if I've got that wrong but if that is the case may I suggest that a short break is in order to facilitate that discussion taking place?"

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2019, 10:00:49 PM »
"Your Highness, your requests were indeed addressed, Xaeth was nominated as the Rokkenjiman choice, and the details of the Rokkenjiman disarmament have been quite open prior to these talks. Now given the numbers provided by Seaforth there are, between bombs and warheads, 1,464 remaining. Their status remains unchanged from when I announced Rokkenjima's response to Slava's nuclear test. When I nominated Xaeth while stating in the same sentence that the First Empire had no issue with independent verification I figured you would be capable of comprehending the context."

"As for His Highness, King Darya, at present we've two proposals before the international community which includes a non-proliferation treaty and the MAEA; itself being separated from the original Rokkenjiman proposal. The fact remains that when the three powers announced their disarmament, as the three sole nations to posses these weapons, any 'deterrence' argument became obsolete; by developing and deploying nuclear weapons of its own Slava Lavosk made not a defensive action, but a decidedly hostile action. Furthermore, Rokkenjima has been outspoken regarding Slava Lavosk's human rights record long before their nuclear test, as is well documented across statements from my Government as well as reports in various international media outlets. Rokkenjima spoke out against Slavan actions because they were inherently wrong, that they deployed nuclear weaponry is just another item on a long list of Slavan transgressions."

"Basically, as has already been explained, with the Grand Disarmament any reason for maintaining a nuclear arsenal was rendered unnecessary; unless such reasons were rooted in hostile intent, that is. When all others who hold these most destructive weapons state they are ridding themselves of them and another comes forward to, in effect, pick them up yet again, what message does that send? Not one of 'securing sovereignty' but one of claiming destructive power no one else has, and with a man such as Kravec vying to wield that power, it does not bode well for the community of nations."

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2019, 06:24:59 AM »

President Vaclav Kravec hadn't planned to attend these talks in person. His original plan had been to send Markus Bathory to represent the Republic of Slava Lavosk and treat with the Heads of State of the major powers...including King David of East Moreland, Emperor Peter of Achkaerin and Empress Beatrice of Rokkenjima. There, with the leaders of the original powers conveniently in once place...to nuke the city and cripple his rivals by decapitating the leadership. Ah...another brilliant plan that no one would ever realize was a coin flip away from altering Mundus for all time. Kravec had decided that that was ultimately not in the best interests of Slava Lavosk...long term. So, at the last minute, Kravec had joined the delegation under Paracambi protection and made his way to the talks.

There, Kravec listened in stoney silence as the various speakers made their remarks. When Kravec judged the time right, he stood up slowly. Instead of begging for his turn to speak, Kravec spun his chair around and slid it next to the table. Using it as make shift stairs, Kravec stepped up onto the heavy conference table, towering over the people seated. There, in the center of the table Kravec grasped his hands behind his back, still and quiet until a hush had fallen over the delegations.

In a deep, gravelly voice, he began.

"I will speak for Slava Lavosk."

" I had hoped that these talks would be a turning point. I had hoped, dared to dream, that for the first time I, as the leader of my people, would be spoken to...not with the respect due a nuclear nation...but with the common courtesy due any human being and child of Mundus. Once again I am slandered and insulted. No more. Slava Lavosk's human rights record is impeccable. Far better than the nations of Rokkenjima, East Moreland and Achkaerin in fact, each of which have committed crimes in the name of national interest. My people, almost alone, stood against slavery in the face of dire threat and declared jihad. Any failings are mine and mine alone. The girl, Dilara, as mentioned, was a citizen of Slava Lavosk, though with Tamoran heritage. She was accused of a crime under the Slavan Criminal Code, was prosecuted and tried in a Slavan Court under Slavan Law. She was found guilty by a Slavan jury and sentenced by a Slavan Judge. My error, in a moment of anger and weakness, was to not commute the legal sentence. It is a decision that I have to live with, but it is not a decision within the purview of international whim nor does it constitute human rights violations or a 'record' thereof."

"My nation and I are repeatedly declared terrorists. We have threatened no one, only sought to secure our own future in the face of imminent threat and a declared jihad. In no way shape or form does Slava Lavosk even remotely meet any reasonable definition of terrorist. If the Empress Beatrice is just going to continue to slander and lie and present alternative facts just to fit her own narrative, then Slava Lavosk will withdraw from these futile talks and those of you that wish can continue to yell into your own echo chamber until the second coming."

Here, Kravec pause to gather his thoughts...

"Now to the real business of these talks. Many times today I have heard the delegates say that nuclear weapons are not needed to deal with todays threat profile. For rich and powerful nations like yourself, perhaps. But none of you face jihad from an empire five times your size,with chattel slaves in a number almost the same as your entire population. We did what was required. We broke no treaty we are signatories to. None of you have the right to tell me how to defend my people."

"I also believe Rokkenjima's pledge to disarm is paper thin. With a successful test, they immediately halted their program of disarmament and sent those warheads right back to their silos and submarines. Should Slava Lavosk abandon its nuclear weapons program, what guarantees do we have that they will restart it? What guarantees do we have that they won't make good on their threats against us? What guarantees do we have that Tamora won't flood across our borders and kill and enslave our people...it wasn't long ago they annexed their last Kingdom."

"All three of you sit in your golden castles upon your shining cities and look down on poor marginalized, Slava Lavosk. You call me dictator. You call me dangerous. But of all the nuclear powers....I am the only leader that was elected. I was chosen. Not you. Since I became President in 2006, I have seen each of you...."

Kravec points a finger, each in turn, at King David, Empress Beatrice and Emperor Peter,  like the Spear of The Avenging Angel...

"...fight off at least one insurrection and coup attempt, as your own people...sometimes your own blood...sought to topple you from your palace of absolute power. When you consider that the three of you are in fact dictators, it makes sense that you would attempt to keep the rest of us on a less than equal footing... Primo Imperare Ferreo. At this time, under these conditions of hypocrisy,...I specifically mean your references to the Uppsala Convention and other treaties, while failing to take military action against Tamora for flagrant violations of the MCUR...and a constant smear campaign waged by Empress Beatrice and the Rokkenjiman Empire...I cannot at this time, and in good conscience, reveal details of our nuclear weapons program."

Kravec walks over to stand before Emperor Peter Azurewind...

"Your grandfather rended the Heavens. Now it is time to reap what you rent and render unto Slava what is Slava's. We will not be disrespected. We will not be slandered. There are two types of injustice in the world. The injustice of when a law is broken, and the injustice of the unequal application of the law. We have broken no laws and no treaties. What can you tell me of Slava and the second injustice?"

Waling back to the center of the table, Kravec slowly turns, looking each delegate in the eye.

"I second Emperor Peter's call for a short recess. It will give the adults time to re-establish control of this conference. A conference that Slava Lavosk will withdraw from immediately if, upon our return, The Empress Beatrice does not issue Slava Lavosk a full and formal apology."

With that, President Kravec walked off of the table and out of the conference room, trailed by his delegation. The last and youngest of which picked up a chair and tossed it onto the table before turning and heading out the door as well.

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Nya Åland/Ui Cenneslaig
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2019, 09:59:39 AM »
So far Stein Ulfsson, the Head Gothi, had sat silently. With Kravec's performance over he stood, "Perhaps now is a good time for a smoke." he said pulling a bone carved pipe from his pocket and following the Slava Lavosk President, only stopping to remove the chair from the table. He soon caught up with the delegation. "Mr.Kravec a moment if you wouldn't mind." He called still arranging his pipe. "That was quiet a performance, sadly the East Moreland Ozzies aren't until January I think but its a performance that will stick in the mind." He produced a match and casually lit his pipe sucking on its mouthpiece a few times to really get it going. "I don't think we have meet before" Stein extended a large calloused hand, worn rough by years of his hobbies of stone masonry and fishing. "Stein" he said introducing himself with no fanfare. "Now if I may please have a moment of your time. I believe the $250million of goods and services we intend to supply you with buys me at least that." He half smiled, "In fact I perhaps should have brought a catalogue along with me, I can recommend our pickled herring. Now if I may, you make some interesting points in there and many are hard to argue against, but then again so do other nations. Nuclear weapons scare the hell out of people, which is exactly why you want them. But the issue is they scare the hell out of everyone not just your enemies. Now we have no love for Tamora, hence why we imposed economic sanctions against them along with the rest of the Albion Council. Royal Seleucid are not much better being the genocidal maniac, hence why they have a Cenneg fleet sat in their harbours because they are naughty boys who can not be trusted. You see as we see things nations fall into four categories. First we have Black nations, those with situations so abhorrent to us that we can not really do business with, perhaps only Tamora at present fit into that category for us. Then we have the White nations, those we believe to be fine upstanding members of the international community, there are few of them but perhaps Xaeth and Bakkermaya could count among them. These nations we can certainly do business with. We then have what I call the colourless nations, ones who keep themselves to themselves and have no presence an Arda Tuluva perhaps, or maybe even a Vanora. They worry no one. Then we have the greys, people like East Moreland who on the one hand willingly offer aid to nations when stricken like we were, but will also invade Zimalian airspace without permission to kill Borlanders. They are nations which business can be done in certain conditions. Over the last year or so Slava have gone from being colourless, then grey and now sadly to say moving towards black. I suppose what I am saying is being grey is where you should remain. I appreciate your concern with Tamora, they are a nation with some dangerous rhetoric, but at the same time you must understand the concerns of others globally. Now in terms of defence when a nation calls a....Jihad I believe they called it....against you then naturally you look to your defenses. That can be done in many ways without causing yourself to move towards the darker end of the spectrum. You would I believe find useful friends across Mundus easily if two things happened. First the nukes went away, second if those camps of yours became more transparent perhaps. Hell even launching people from catapults can be forgiven, a criminal is a criminal and deserve what punishments the Gods see fit. People do business with the Maori and their king caves skulls in for Odins sake. No one minds the guilty being made to suffer, its when the innocent do so because of the crimes of others that people take concern. With that being said that is how many see nuclear weapons, punishing the innocent for the crimes of their leaders." He had been merrily puffing away on the pipe while talking but now tapped the spent tobacco out.

"Might I make a suggestion. You and I both know the world is a better and safer place if nuclear weapons had never been invented by the Achkaerin government. We can get rid of them but I know with the exception of East Morelands pitiful stockpile that is not happening tomorrow. You currently sit here with what, one maybe two of them, Achkaerin have hundreds if not thousands. Based on what the Empress finally said in there they have maybe five years worth of work to dismantle their armaments. So for the next five years you'll have two, maybe three nuclear powers, Achkaerin, Rokkenjima and you. Why not make an agreement to produce no more of them, you still have the prestige or being able to wave your dick around and call yourself a nuclear power but people are reassured. Then make a promise that on the date Rokkenjima publicly prove they are nuclear free you will let scientists from my nation dismantle yours. You're a nation that surely doesn't want a Rokkenjiman blockade sat off your coast and frankly I think you've already got nations in there such as Xaeth, Tauredalia, even ourselves, and until you ruined his furniture Paracambi, who would be willing and more than happy to work with you if you stayed the right side of the grey spectrum. View these talks as an opportunity to take a path that will see Slava Lavosk surrounded by friends not a naval blockade."

Stein reached into his pocket and handed over a card. "Regardless of the outcome of our talks we have promised $250million in goods and services" He placed the plastic card into the Presidents hand, "It gives access to the funds but must be activated by a bank in Krokom, perhaps whoever you send to do that task would like to pop up to my residence and share a horn of mead and some of that pickled herring. I hope to see you return."

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2019, 02:38:12 PM »
Beatrice couldn't help but to lightly chuckle. "On one hand we have President Kravec talking of "adults" re-establishing control while, immediately, reminding me of conversations I've had with my daughter when she was much younger. 'If you give me a cookie I'll clean my room', was the gist of it, at times perhaps accompanied by a tantrum not too dissimilar from what we've just witnessed. Different words and, needless to say, she didn't have nuclear arms, but it's recognizable to any parent all the same. Equally needless to say I didn't give her a cookie and yes, her room was still cleaned."

"The Slavan record stands for itself absent any spin or redirection attempted by President Kravec. I shall issue no apology for stating facts, although I will take this opportunity to apologize to Emperor Benson; with stakes so high, emotion is bound to run high. With that being said I think I've addressed anything of substance from the President's remarks."

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Tytor

• Regional Power
  • All the world's a stage...
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Tytor
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2019, 02:57:02 PM »
Sir Gregory Major, Tytorian Minister of Foreign Affairs, had been watching the proceedings with an increasingly bemused expression on his face.  Now he leaned over to Beatrice, giving her a half smile.  "I think I have a copy of How to Win Friends and Influence People with me," he murmured, "Do you think Kravec would appreciate it if I lent it to him?"
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 03:03:09 PM by Tytor »
His Majesty Michael the First, by the Grace of God, King of Tytor and her Colonies, and Lord Protector of Floodwater

Factbook -- News -- Press Office

Former Governor-General of The Infinite Alliance
Former Ambassador to Albion and the Global Right Alliance
Former Vice Premier and Speaker of the Senate of the Independent Order
Professional Procrastinator

Non-partisan and proud of it

"A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2019, 05:05:09 PM »

Kravec turned upon hearing his name. Seeing who it was, he motioned to his delegation to carry on while he remained alone to speak with the Head Gothi

"Ah. Head Gothi Ulfsson. I am glad to meet you."

At the mention of his performance, Kravec smiles and waves away the comment

"With Empress Beatrice constantly calling me a mad man, my people and my self terrorists and continuing to bring up the one and single questionable action by my people.....well...all the delegates were seeing was a catapult...or a nuclear weapon. Now they saw an old man on a table. Decidedly less black, yes?"

"Slava has been marginalized and ignored for too long. When you sit in the shadow of a jihad...the shadow makes all nations appear to be black. Who is Tamora's great ally? Rokkenjima. Who blockades us? Rokkenjima….and those boot lickers in Tytor."

Kravec pauses and pull's out a cigarette case. Lighting one he continues.

"I won't comment on our nuclear program at this time, but I will say that I did not come here merely to posture and flip chairs. But how do I move forward when one of the unelected leaders of a nuclear nation is clearly intent on calling me names and stealing my lunch money...no different than any other schoolyard bully."

"I demanded an apology and expected none. But you spoke to me as an equal and so because of that and your nations generosity, I will return when this break is over to hear more about how crazy I am and how evil my people are."

Kravec stubs out his cigarette.

"I actually love pickled herring. Every new years my grandfather and I would eat herring and sour dough and drink slivovitz until the clock struck midnight...I wonder what he would think of little Vaclav today, here. But of course, monsters don't have grandfathers, do they?"

With that, Kravec left to prepare himself for the next part of the talks...

With President Kravec occupied with the Head Gothi, the rest of the Slavan Delegation continued on to another part of grounds. While most of the delegation smoked and drank coffee, Markus Bathory and two others detached themselves and drifted towards the other delegations....