Author Topic: Debate: In Response To Lakhzov Elections  (Read 10948 times)

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
Debate: In Response To Lakhzov Elections
« on: September 13, 2017, 01:31:28 AM »
GENERAL ASSEMBLY SUBMISSION FORM
Formal Name of Submitting Nation(s): The First Empire of Rokkenjima
Nations involved: The Republic of Lakhzovia
Title of Submission: In Response To Lakhzov Elections
Draft Resolution:

Commonwealth Treaty Organisation
General Assembly Resolution[/big]

Resolution [XXXX]
Adopted by the General Assembly on [Date]

The General Assembly,

Concerned by the delay which was witnessed in the release of Lakhzovian election results which has cast a shadow of doubt over the validity of said elections,

Dismayed by the warrant of arrest issued for Argan Tsagarai, Leader of the Democratic Alliance and the implications it has for the democratic institutions of Lakhzovia,

Noting the allegations of electoral misconduct which have been raised by the International Electoral Monitoring Group, a coalition of thirty one international non-governmental organisations who have lodged several concerns as to the conduct of the Lakhzov elections,

Acting in the support of democracy and those free institutions which exist in Lakhzovia,

1. Rejects the international arrest warrant for Argan Tsagarai.

2. Rejects at this time the results of the Lakhzov election until such a time actions have been taken by the Lakhzov Government to address concerns of electoral misconduct.

3. Reserves the right to reinstate the arrest warrant subject to evidence being presented. A vote of the General Assembly to amend this resolution shall be considered sufficient for such reinstatement.

4. Reserves the right to recognize the results of the election, as presented by President Kadassa, once an independent body has verified the results and concerns of misconduct have been satisfactorily addressed.

5. Commissions a CTO observation team to visit Lahkzovia to investigate claims of electoral misconduct where observers may have access to any and all data relevant to the elections.

6. Resolves subject to sections two, three, four and five of this resolution to take steps, proportionate in nature, as they become necessary to ensure the democratic will of the people of Lahkzovia, whatever it may be, is respected and adhered to.

7. Asserts that should article six of this resolution be triggered that the Republic of Lahkzovia be excluded from any subsequent debates on this matter.

Any other details:

An update of Achkaerin's proposal to reflect the situation as it presently stands.

Offline Lakhzovia

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Lakhzovia
Re: Debate: In Response To Lakhzov Elections
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 10:49:43 PM »

Ambassador Hokh was quick to take to the floor "Lakhzovia objects in the strongest possible terms to this flagrant assault upon our sovereignty. Our election results were delayed while we attempted to establish the extent to which undue influence was exerted upon the proceedings. This situation was worsened by the actions of Argan Tsagarai who instigated riots while attempting to appeal for foreign intervention with the aim of regime change.

We consider this motion to be an extension of that attempted regime change and we thoroughly reject it.

Further I have with me an intelligence report that has just been cleared for release by the Minister of Security which sheds light on the illicit activities of Tsagarai and his conspiracy to work with the ULO and Shanata party to unduly influence the election."

Hokh waved a document in the air, copies of which were being circulated:

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 12:30:52 AM »
Sakura stood at the podium at the front of the assembly, she'd read the resolution and had given it mixed reviews, then she'd Mr Hokh speak and given that a cautiously optimistic review.

"Before this becomes a mudslinging match" Sakura said trying not to look in the direction of Kensington and the other Rokkenjiman delegates "Can I suggest we try and approach this in a practical manner?

Let's consider the spirit of the resolution or at least what this resolution should seek to do but first the history. A few months ago Lakhzovia had an election, the results of that election were not released at the time, a resolution was put to this Assembly by Achkaerin and subsequently withdrawn pending discussions between Rokkenjima, Lakhzovia and the then Secretary General Mr Carpenter, several events have since occurred within Lakhzovia the Rokkenjiman embassy was under siege, the Utman people have declared their independence and there are other reports some of which lack basis. We now have the results of the elections and a reason for delay coupled with evidence of the allegation against Mr Tsagarai, this was all that was ever asked for.

So what should now happen we have this evidence is in my opinion simple - it must be reviewed and vigorously tested, every nation represented here now has, thanks to Mr Hokh, a copy of this information so every nation here is capable of satisfying themselves as to the authenticity of the produced evidence, if you are so inclined I suggest you go away and do it,  for the CTO's part I will ask the Mundus Crime Agency to undertake this task as this is the area in which that subsidiary organisation specializes. Following the testing of the evidence I would then be minded to call the Chief Constable of the Mundus Crime Agency to give a report on the evidence to this assembly. If the evidence following all that scrutiny is sound then the arrest warrant can stand if it isn't sound I trust that Lakhzovia will withdraw the arrest warrant in that event.

In the interim I am minded to suggest the warrant stand, I'd rather not play the 'what if' game with someone accused of terrorist related offences."

Sakura paused to take a sip of water

"As for the actual result of the election this would depend mainly on how skeptical individual nations are of the ballot in Lakhzovia, but if the evidence is sound and there was electoral malpractice by means of fraud being undertaken by Mr Tsagarai and others then that would suggest that Sachim Kadassa is the President of Lakhzovia, this point matters because of the now ever evolving Utman situation and the legalities thereof."

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Beatrice/Rokkenjima
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 09:32:09 AM »

"Madame Secretary-General, the path you have proposed is sound and true. If I may suggest, I do believe it would be prudent for the Commonwealth to have at its disposal evidence gathered by the International Electoral Monitoring Group which suggests a coordinated campaign of voter suppression and intimidation by the Republic of Lakhzovia, including the campaign of intimidation conducted by the Hand of Emet militia which reads quite similar to the activities accredited to the ULO in this report which has been presented to us by my Lakhzov colleague. I feel that we're all interested in arriving at the truth of this matter and, if it is proven beyond doubt that Lakhzovia has fallen under some vast conspiracy, that is something we will be certain to address as a fellow Commonwealth nation, and as a treaty partner of Lakhzovia."

"However," Kensington paused, "if these concerns are proven to be valid, if the evidence doesn't support the Lakhzov position, that would also be something we would be certain to address. What needs to happen next is a full and honest review of the information available to us, this includes that narrative presented by the 'opposing' side, those who have accused the Government of Sachim Kadassa of electoral misconduct, amongst other potential crimes."

Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of the Independent Order
Empress of the First Empire of Rokkenjima

Factbook of the First Empire of Rokkenjima - Kingdom of Clysperis

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 08:41:23 PM »
"In light of the recent incident at the chemical plant I believe that we may have further issues muddying the waters since this was drafted. We have two versions of the same incident and one would potentially constitute a war crime. I would therefore suggest that using what means member nations have at their disposal we ascertain at the same time the reality of the election results the reality of the incident at the chemical plant. This should not prove too difficult to work out and less so if Lakhozovia permit an overflight by an unarmed East Moreland aircraft of the site."

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 10:59:40 PM »
"As I understand the situation in regards to the chemical plant incident there is no question of chemicals being on site but whether this was an industrial accident or the result of an air strike by the Lakhzovian Air Force, the latter could constitute a breach of the Uppsala Convention as it would arguably be the use of a chemical weapon but that's a job for lawyers to work out. Our priority in this regard should be to determine the truth as quickly as possible. Sir Jacob makes an excellent suggestion - an unmanned aircraft flying over the plant remains would be able to ascertain whether this was accidental or foul play, so I believe at this point I should on behalf of the concerned nations ask Mr Hokh to contact his government and request permission for flyover's of the plant by unarmed aircraft. I would also Ms Holmes and Mr Kensington to see if the radar logs of the Achkaerinese and Rokkenjiman ships camped off the Lakhzovian coast reveal anything in regard to this incident." Sakura said

"I would also ask nations to avoid making definitive public statements in the press on this matter until we know differently this is an alleged chemical weapons attack and Lakhzovia is innocent until proven guilty."

Offline Sam

• Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Saheristan
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 11:56:40 PM »
The Saheristani Ambassador to the CTO, Khaleda Zia Wazed, takes the floor.

"Secretary, if I may make a definitive statement of my own, this preposterous allegation of chemical warfare obscures the tragedy of this terrible industrial accident. If this chamber took note of this tragedy, we would be discussing how we might aid the victims, rather than politicising these events.

It seems to me that the only reason these allegations have been brought to the floor of this chamber is a single report from the Free Mundus Network; a source sensationalist at best, and often tinfoil-hatted or flagrantly dishonest, most recently in their demonstrably false article regarding our ongoing security operations in our northern state. I would've thought this chamber would know better than to lend credence to such a source. It therefore seems that such a low source has been projected to this high hall because it supports the anti-Kadassa narrative pushed by some of this organisation's members.

While those members may have stopped short of recognising the ULO's terror state formally, they lend it authority in a de-facto sense; discouraging the legal authorities from restoring a rightful state of law and order in Transmercuria by parking assault ships and carrier groups in the Peniche Bay, am implicit threat of intervention if "peace talks", which would legitimise the ULO's reprehensible position, do not take place.

With these points in mind, my government issues the following statements:

One. That a chemical attack is the tactical military deployment of asphyxiating or nerve gases, poisons, defoliants, and such. As outlined in the Lakhzov State News Company, a senior engineer at said plant has explained how the contact of water with the various industrial chemicals produced at the plant, and subsequent mixing of those chemicals following the explosion and loss of containment would have created sulphur dioxide, aerosolised hydrochloric acid and potentially the extremely poisonous methyl difluorophosphite.

It is this series of reactions that created these especially dangerous chemicals, and they were not deployed by any military. This would therefore not constitute a deployment of chemical weapons in any scenario and I urge the chamber to dismiss allegations that it does.

Two. That by even entertaining the narrative presented by the Utman rebels, certain members of this organisation are encouraging the use of violence by ethnic separatists elsewhere in Mundus. In the interests of stability elsewhere, and of avoiding a domino effect of sectarian tension, we should dismiss the proposed resolution.

Three. That the implicit threat of intervention in the sovereign affairs of Lakhzovia by the Imperial Rokkenjiman Navy is a destabilising factor in the current situation. It restricts the ability of Lakhzovia to fight the criminals of the ULO, and is tantamount to perverting the course of justice at the point of a sword."

At this, Ambassador Wazed cedes the floor and nods to Ambassador Hokh, perhaps her only ally present.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 12:02:50 AM by Sam »

President Khalid Amin Ashkan
The Republic of Saheristan

Wiki Pages:
Saheristan Profile
Insurgency in Lalishistan

Offline Lakhzovia

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 10:45:07 AM »

"I thank the Honourable Ambassador Khaleda Zia Wazed for his well reasoned contribution.

I would like to reiterate his point that so far there is no reason to suspect that this was anything other than a terrible industrial accident as claimed by the Lakhzov Development Corporation which runs the plant. That said even if it were the case as some seek to claim that the plant was bombed, and even if this bombing were a deliberate act it would still not constitute a chemical weapons attack.

It is well established and accepted by everyone at this point that the chemicals produced at this plant are particularly toxic, it is also accepted by all that these reagents can be used to produce additional highly toxic compounds. If the FMN report is to be believed the plant was under assault from the Khaliniz Brigade, a terrorist militia that historically committed atrocious war crimes against innocent Lakhzov citizens in Transmecuria. What can we suppose their intentions were with such a plant? We can imagine the seriousness of a situation where such a terrorist group were to get its hands on chemical agents that could very easily be weaponised, and given their history it would not be beyond the limit of imagination that they would do so.

Would any nation allow a situation where a terrorist group were allowed to seize weaponisable chemical agents? In such a situation it is an absolute right and duty of a nation to prevent such agents falling into the terrorist groups hands, even if this were to mean destroying the stockpiles despite the risk to the local population. As it happens the gas leaks from this incident have caused skin irritation, eye swelling and breathing difficulties; yet nobody has died. Were this plant to fall to the Khaliniz brigade the use of these agents in higher concentrations in a densely populated area could have led to the deaths of many thousands of people.

Am I, as a representative of Lakhzovia, really meant to sit here and listen to nations accuse my country of war crimes and chemical warfare while turning a blind eye to the prospect of genuine chemical attacks had these stocks fallen to the Utman? And am I really supposed to accept assurances from our detractors here that they do not have a pro-Utman agenda when they appear willing to condone attempts by the Utman to seize such sites?

We are told there is no conspiracy against our government and country yet let's recall the series of events that have brought us here today. There was a delay in announcing the results of an election in which there were a number of anomalies and evidence of coercion while investigations were made to validate the outcome. In that time Argan Tsagarai, who intel documentation shows conspired with the terrorist Utman Liberation Organisation to influence the elections, instigated a pressure campaign and series of violent disturbances of the peace in cities across the country while he himself went in to hiding.

This situation brought out patriotic citizens in counter-protests and on the back of rumours that Tsagarai was being sheltered by Rokkenjima a group of extremists including the Hand of Emet militia laid siege to the Rokkenjiman Embassy. In light of this situation President Kadassa was in personal direct contact with the Empress of Rokkenjima attempting to resolve the crisis, and I am able to reveal that while we were preparing police action to arrest the mob en masse we also had agents who had infiltrated into the embassy in order to mount a rescue, having requested from Rokkenjima information crucial to the successful extraction of their staff we were provided with falsified building plans that led to our team being unable to complete their task. Meanwhile the embassy siege was used as a pretext by both Rokkenjima and Achkaerin to station warships in the Peniche Bay.

When the Utman subsequently decided to launch an armed revolt against the state, seizing key infrastructure and security posts Lakhzovia was halted from responding to the growing security threat by a build up of Rokkenjiman and Achkaerinese military assets in the area and the threats of war should Lakhzovia act against the Utman. All the while the Khaliniz Brigades have been terrorising the Lakhzov of Transmecuria, many of whom have already fled their villages to the perceived security of the cities in the beginnings of an internal refugee crisis.

Yet we are supposed to believe that there is no agenda here? That Rokkenjima and Achkaerin do not seek to offer their protection and support to the Utman cause?

Lakhzovia is the victim of aggression, and yet we are treated as the villain and at every turn find ourselves constrained while innocent people suffer. The actions of these states is a grave injustice and the single biggest contributing factor to the destabilisation of the region. As such we demand an immediate military de-escalation on the part of Rokkenjima and Achkaerin. To imagine that there could be any sort of negotiations while these two states sit ready to invade should Lakhzovia not cede to the demands of terrorists is a travesty of justice and international legal norms."

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2017, 12:36:32 PM »
Sir Jacob Longe stood. " At present the situation has a lot of questions to be answered, be it the election situation, the bomb, the conflict between two sides. Our priorities should be two fold, first to put a halt to the fighting, the second to ascertain if international law has been broken. If I may start with the last of these two, it is clear no chemical weapon in the traditional sense was used in the region of the plant, that is very obvious. However deliberate targeting of a chemical plant in a built up area could potentially break the Uppsala Convention, note my use of the word potentially, for us as an international community to know that an investigation must be undertaken. I would like to publically put on record that through our CNN allies of The Commonwealth of the Unified Iwi we will soon have images of the site taken by them[1]. These will be able to give us a reasonable amount of data to begin drawing that question to a close. Ideally we would like to send an East Moreland UAV, unarmed, over the site and we would make these images avaliable to all nations at this table. We would even go as far as inviting a Lakhzov ambassador to observe the flight from our control room. This puts to rest the suspicion many have that this was not an industrial accident but either a chemical attack, which I find unlikely, or an attack done on purpose, which could potentially be a breach of Uppsala. This offer clearly relies on permission from Lakhzov to overfly the area without us being shot down.

On the second point of finding a way to halt fighting I believe that moves by several nations are a foot to achieve that. This being so I would like to look at the original resolution. We oppose Article 1, it is not the CTO's right to tell nations which arrest warrants they must reject or accept, that is a call for their laws.

On Article 2 I have already stated that there are question marks over the election and its conduct and I would agree that until a time these have been adequetly addressed it is difficult to accept the results.

With Article 3 East Moreland opposes the CTO having an say on issuing, accepting or rejecting arrest warrants. If a crime has been committed then a nation is more than capable of issuing their own arrest warrant and the international community reacting to it with their own laws.

Article 4 is one that we do agree with, should these results be confirmed as accurate I have no issue apologising to President Kadassa and wishing him well in his term of office, however we need to be certain his nations people have had their voice heard. As regards Article 5 I believe an after the fact investigation is likely to yield little but that is all we can have.

The rest of the resolution is of less concern, I believe Lakhzovia should be here to put their case however. What concerns me more is the issue of the fighting that is ungoing. I would therefore ask the Lakhzovian representative a second question, would their be a possibility of both sides withdrawing to set positions while investigations and any behind the scenes talks are concluded? If that means you answer only on Lakhzovia's stance on this we can wait for the Utmen one and then bring it to fruition."
 1. While in the Utmen RP they've already got them and sent them to EM I'd assume it'd be a few more hours until Sir Jacob actually got any information regarding what they show

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2017, 01:42:33 PM »
Cheryl Holmes stood up, she'd been wondering precisely what she was going to say it had been a long few days for her and her colleagues.

"Sir Jacob is right the situation has two aspects to it on the one hand we have what appears to be the beginnings of a scuffle that has the potential to build into a full scale civil war, on the other hand we have the Chemical Plant incident and of course somewhere in the middle of all this there is the election issue.

As far as the Chemical Plant goes this would as stated not be a conventional chemical weapons strike but depending on knowledge and intent could constitute a breach, potentially multiple breaches of the Uppsala Convention. But that is ultimately a matter that needs investigation and when we have the images and analysis we will be better informed to make a judgement on that but I would remind people that that responsibility in the essence of finality would fall to the Convention Advisory Committee of the Uppsala Convention. So before we rush to judgement let us see the evidence first.

Now as for the election issue the General Assembly does not have the authority to issue or reject international arrest warrants, the only body associated with this organisation that has any power like that is the MCA and that only applies to issuing those warrants and even then they can only be enforced within the jurisdiction of its membership, this is why when we debated the charges relating to the Andean Genocide we referred the charges decision to the CAC.

Does the result of the election need looking at? Yes it does because the two stories we hear regarding them are in conflict and if we find that the Lakhzovian claims are accurate then that's an end of the matter, President Kadassa would be the duly elected President and Achkaerin would fully support the arrest warrant for Tsagarai.

Now in terms of the present situation in Lakhzovia we have a potential civil war in the offing that is something no one wants and there are various diplomatic meetings taking place to try and avert that. It's in everyone's interests to give talking a chance first. So I will second Sir Jacobs question.

Offline Sam

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2017, 10:30:35 PM »
Ambasador Wazed stands again.

"The Saheristani government does not consider the Iwi to be impartial in this situation, as their government has not only recognised the ULO's terror state but has already set up an embassy and embraced them as brothers. Their evidence in this matter should be dismissed. We do not break bread with terrorists or the sponsors of terrorism. We should take time to discuss an alternative means of gathering impartial evidence".

Wiki Pages:
Saheristan Profile

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2017, 11:05:10 PM »
Sir Jacob returned to his feet. "Ambassador Wazed, such a means has been presented, East Moreland can have a unmanned, unarmed aircraft fly over the plant within the next three hours. With us having not spoke in favour of the Utmen or the Lakhzov government I believe we are the impartial body. This is now the third request for such a flight, and so far it has been refused. I must also inform this body that images taken by the Iwi are presently being scrutinised by the East Moreland Air Force, what would certainly be interesting is if those airmen could scrutinise the Iwi images side by side with our own. Failing permission for this overflight I will be releasing my nations Air Forces findings as soon as I have them, I believe the process takes about an hour......should we maybe start a clock or something?" Sir Jacob had already been told a "on first sight" analysis of the plant and it wasn't looking promising, however he appreciated this kind of work took time and the Airmen weren't working with top grade images, but they'd still get a result, Jacob however preferred to have their detailed report before he released it. He also believed that the Lakhzov's probably now knew what East Moreland would conclude, perhaps there would be a chance for them to save face.

Offline Lakhzovia

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2017, 11:11:15 PM »
"I have discussed the issue with my government and after much hesitation I have managed to secure permission for such a flyover of the site from them. They are wary given the tensions in the region about allowing any non-allied nation to fly over our territory, especially since the violation of our airspace by the Achkaerinese.

We are of the opinion however that East Moreland has historically remained neutral in its relations with our state and therefore reluctantly give permission for a fly over, if only to put the matter to rest"

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2017, 12:28:41 AM »
"Then I believe Ladies and Gentlemen we have a path forwards." Cheryl said "Which if I understand correctly puts the resolution as follows:"

Resolution [XXXX]

The General Assembly,

Concerned by the delay which was witnessed in the release of Lakhzovian election results which has cast a shadow of doubt over the validity of said elections,

Noting the allegations of electoral misconduct which have been raised by the International Electoral Monitoring Group, a coalition of thirty one international non-governmental organisations who have lodged several concerns as to the conduct of the Lakhzov elections,

Acting in the support of democracy and those free institutions which exist in Lakhzovia,

1. Rejects at this time the results of the Lakhzov election.

2. Reserves the right to recognize the results of the election, as presented by President Kadassa, once an independent body has verified the results and concerns of misconduct have been satisfactorily addressed.

3. Commissions a CTO observation team to visit Lahkzovia to investigate claims of electoral misconduct where observers may have access to any and all data relevant to the elections.

"Now as to everything else the Chemical Plant matter is obviously not tied in to the election result and does not feature for that reason, it also doesn't feature because if it were to become the case that it needed taking further that it would then become a matter for the Convention Advisory Committee of the Uppsala Convention. As to stopping the present skirmishes that is something best left to ongoing diplomatic efforts, if those fail then it is a matter for the General Assembly. Now if I may make a point Mr Hokh, you refer to a violation of your airspace by Achkaerin, I presume you refer to a Wasp helicopter making an emergency landing at a Lakhzovian airfield. This helicopter was operating in conjunction with Somerset counterparts in monitoring the border between Somerset and the area of Lakhzovia claimed by the Utman people, it was operating inside Somerset airspace as its flight recorder clearly shows when someone inside that area of Lakhzovia took a shot at it we're still looking into who that was, they didn't hit the thing fatally but they got close enough to force an emergency landing and the Lakhzovians were according to our information at least more than happy to help in that regard, something that the Achkaerinese Government is grateful for and I'm sure you'll pass our thanks on once again to your government Mr Hokh.

Any way to return to the resolution I believe it satisfies the basis of the concern in relation to the elections, in that subject to scrutiny of evidence we don't know who the legitimate President is and until we do know we need to be careful especially considering our precedents. I would also recommend that subject to the agreement of the Assembly and the Secretary General that even if we now move the resolution to vote that we keep the debate session running until we have an understanding of the Chemical Plant situation."
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 12:42:43 AM by Achkaerin »

Offline Sam

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2017, 08:45:05 PM »
"In the interests of assuring us all of the neutrality of the CTO's investigation, I believe article 1 of this resolution can be dropped completely. The CTO need not issue any statement one way or the other regarding the results of the election. Do we really wish to start this supposedly fair and balanced investigation off with an assumption of guilt?

If my counterparts in this room are so certain of Lakhzovian electoral misconduct, let the investigation find it; do not let it be decreed by resolution. I would therefore suggest article 1 be dropped entirely".

Wiki Pages:
Saheristan Profile

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2017, 09:41:34 PM »
Jacobs phone buzzed in his pocket and he glanced at it, the details from the fly-over had just come in and quiet literally where hot of the press. He asked his assistant to sit in while he went to "Stretch his legs" while the various delegates discussed matters of legality and the like Jacob sat in a quiet office reading the report, it was short but at the same time rather to the point. He read it twice and re-entered. "Madam Secretary General" he said as the current speaker sat down. "I know several others wish to put their point but I believe I have important information to share with this General Assembly." he waited to be granted permission to continue before pressing the button on his phone transmitting the report to all CTO Ambassadors simultaniously.

"I believe I must sadly report that we may have been misled." He looked at the Saheristani Ambassador  squarely. "Earlier today one of Lakhozia's closest allies said in this chamber..." he scanned down his notes. "this preposterous allegation of chemical warfare obscures the tragedy of this terrible industrial accident." he watched to see if there was any reaction, "Furthermore the ambassador from Lakhzovia did little to correct this falsehood." He waited a moment noticing others reading the report.

"So, it is now clear this was not an industrial accident but was a weapons strike, as those of you now hastily reading the report will see this can not be confirmed as intention or accidental, however the fact that we have witnessed today an attempt at a cover up concerns me. Especially when a finger was pointed at the international community by Saheristani for not looking at aid, when a nation bombs itself generally people such as JET do not respond. So I believe that the recommendations of the report be accepted as an additional article of the proposal. This relies however on Lakhoziva accepting them and therefore complying, something that may begin to repair their reputation with those of us in this chamber who may feel we've been lied to. Thank you" he sat down his piece said.

Quote from: East Moreland Report

The Royal East Moreland Air Force have concluded an initial report into the alleged bombing of the Chemical Plant near Vilniz. It is the findings of this report that the stated "industrial accident" is an untruth and that evidence exists supporting explosive ordenance delivered from aircraft is responsible for the leak.

Two forms of evidence were collected by the Royal East Moreland Air Force, the first taken by members of The Commonwealth of The Unfied Iwi from ground level and by use of civilian drone. The second form of evidence was gathered by a lone East Moreland drone operating for a period of not less than 40 minutes over the plant.

Both forms of evidence show a crater consistent with an impact explosion rather than an internal explosion. Measurements taken across this crater are consistent with an explosion of a bomb in the region of 2,000 lb. Furthermore damage to one section of the plant is consistent with the kinetic impact of a device of this type. A closer examination of the photos taken by the East Moreland drone show sections of shrapnel which seem to conform with that expected of a laser guided unpowered bomb. It is further possible to detect from images taken at ground level that pieces of shrapnel have travelled a considerable distance furthermore supporting this analysis of the type and size of weapon. 

In regards to whether the site was deliberately targeted or whether this was an unfortunate accident this is not possible to ascertain through images alone. A more detailed investigation would be needed that would include being granted permission to review the onboard recordings of all aircraft airborne that day. This is an unrealistic prospect. It should be brought to the readers attention however that deliveries of guided munitions will yield a circular error probable (CEP) of around 3.6 feet (1.1 m), compared to a CEP of 310 feet (94 m) for unguided bombs dropped under similar conditions. This also leads us to believe that more than likely this was not an accidental strike. The fact that this is a laser guided munition indicates one of two possibilities, first that the target was deliberatly painted by ground units or a second aircraft, this is impossible to rule out without the aforementioned investigations. The second possibility is a system failure where the munition failed to properly acquire the laser designation and "slipped off" its glide pattern. If this is the case it would be possible for the Lakhzov Air Force to inform the international community of what the appropriate target was. It is our belief that at this time no charges are possible under the Uppsala Convention and we believe this will remain the case moving forward.

Finally it must be noted that the drone which returned to the REMNS Dalek had flown through the smoke of the plant and was treated for chemical decontamination upon its return. Several deck hands have reported chemical burns and samples taken from the drone indicate the presence of Tributylamine, a precurser of certain nerve agents, but also present in lubricant additives and agrochemicals. Without detailed knowledge of the plants history and use it will be nearly impossible to determine whether this was a scene of a chemical weapons plant in disguise or a civilian plant producing non-military chemicals. It should also be noted that almost immediately as the drone finished its overflight operations began to cover the plant.

RECOMMENDATIONS

1. This incident should not be, at this time, forwarded to any process of the Uppsala Convention.
2. The Joint Emergency Team should be permitted to work in the area for humanitarian purposes and also monitor chemicals in the soil following covering operations.
3. Lakhzovia to undertake a full review of the use of their guided munitions.
4. CTO to demand a full explanation of why a clear lie was told to the international community.
5. A request be made for further unmanned and unarmed East Moreland flights over Lakhzovia following strategic air strikes in civilian areas. This to be done to confirm Lakhzovia complying with the Uppsala Convention after seeking to cover up Chemical Plant incident.

OOC- This post is approved by Lakhzovia

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2017, 01:43:45 AM »
"I don't think there's much doubt that we've been lied to." Sakura said as she read the report "I believe however in the interests of fairness that Mr Hokh should have the right to address that point, however first, Ms Dawson is eager to make some legal clarifications."

Sakura took her seat and allowed Violet Dawson to step up
"Thank you Madam Secretary General" Violet said "For those of you who don't know me I'm Violet Dawson, the Commonwealth Counsel which in short means I'm the Secretariats legal eagle so to speak, I would like to make a few points in regards to both what the Saheristani ambassador has stated but also regarding the recommendations that the East Moreland report makes. These are purely from a legal point of view to make everyone aware of where we stand.

Firstly the decision not to proceed at this time in referring the matter to the CAC is made on the allegation in respect of a breach of article 1.7 of the Uppsala Convention regarding the use of chemical weapons. Now at this point we have no proof of that breach or that of any other article obviously if one becomes apparent at a later date then the matter should be referred and the report makes that clear. As to point three it would undoubtedly be helpful if the review was either observed by a neutral nation in this matter or was required to culminate in a publicly released report that can then be independently scrutinized. I believe the Secretary General a few moments ago instigated the fourth point.

As for point five it's important because it goes legally speaking to a course of conduct as any future breaches of the Uppsala Convention will make people wonder about the Chemical Plant.

Now as to the Saheristan ambassador's point this resolution seeks to commission a CTO investigation because of this election issue, the investigation has to start from the point of view of fact and evidence which means  that the CTO should not by statement or omission imply that either Sachim Kadassa or Agran Tsagarai is President of Lakhzovia which is why it is right and proper and in accordance with past precedent to disregard the election result subject to an investigation article two of the resolution makes it clear that if the investigation finds that Kadassa is right that he will be duly recognized as such but until such a time his position of President is in question just as Rupert Ichlingas's position of High King of Mercia was called into question and rejected under similar circumstances. Obviously this point is a matter for the Assembly but legally it is helpful to state the neutrality."

Violet sat back down and Sakura got back on her feet

"Now then Mr Hokh I believe as Secretary General I should be the one to ask this on behalf of this organisation." Sakura said "Why were we lied to? Do bear in mind that if you'd like to have this answered by Kadassa I am more than prepared to write to him and demand the answers."
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 02:14:08 AM by Achkaerin »

Offline Sam

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2017, 10:09:33 PM »
Ambassador Wazed took her seat again. This was the time to disengage. The damage here was done.

"This is a new development. We will need time to review these findings, so I will withdraw my objections".

Wiki Pages:
Saheristan Profile

Offline Lakhzovia

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2017, 11:35:44 PM »
"I am an ambassador and as such I stand here to communicate the positions of my government, however there are certain matters which I am not privy to and in such cases I must defer to greater authorities. This is one such case in which the line of questioning requires a more senior level of knowledge.

If it pleases the assembly I would like to arrange for President Kadassa to address these matters via video conference link."

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2017, 12:22:55 AM »
"What's important is that we get an answer I therefore have no objection to Mr Hokh's request and I suggest that it be set up as swiftly as possible." Sakura said

Offline Lakhzovia

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2017, 01:41:14 PM »
After a brief recess while the video link was set up the assembly resumed, large screen bore the CTO logo switched channel to reveal Kadassa sitting at his desk in his office.

"I welcome the opportunity to be able to address the assembly and thank the Chairman for allowing me to do so.

The question has been raised as to why this organisation was misled in regards to the true nature of the Vilniz incident. The simple answer is that at the time of the news releases and diplomatic briefings the true nature of the events was unknown to Ambassador Hokh, as it was to much of the government. I myself only came to know the reality of the matter after the initial misreports went out.

This was due to reticence within Military Command to publicise details of technical failure in our military hardware that led to a missile aimed at nearby insurgents failing to lock on to target and striking the plant instead. Given the heightened state of alert at present such a failure was seen as being too embarrassing and potentially a signal to our enemies of a lack of military capability which was seen as dangerous. I have made it clear to my Minister of Defence as well as General Shuziye that this is an unacceptable course of action and that it is not to be repeated, I have also launched an internal inquiry and investigation in to the events.

As for the circumstances surrounding the military activity that led to this accident. Our intelligence suggested that as a part of the Utman plan to seize key infrastructure they had decided to target the Vilniz Plant. Given the nature of the chemicals produced at this plant and their potential to be abused for military purposes it was considered imperative that they be prevented from falling in to the hands of the Khaliniz Brigades, a terrorist militia.

This is why despite our having stayed our hand so far in this conflict, despite the fact this has meant allowing the Utman militias freedom to seize state property and drive Lakhzov citizens from their homes, we were forced to act on this occasion. Not to do so would have been gravely irresponsible.

I would hope now that this has been clarified that this organisation could focus now on preventing further outrages by the Utman rather than seeking new pretexts on which to condemn us for attempting to defend our national integrity."

Offline Sam

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2017, 10:29:25 PM »
Ambassador Wazed was the first to respond, to the surprise of nobody in the chamber.

"Thank you, your Excellency, for your illuminating honesty in this matter. Accidents happen in war, sadly, and that your forces were right to do their utmost in preventing dangerous chemicals from falling into the hands of an organisation that has previously employed terrorist tactics is inarguable. This meeting has been far too focused on the supposed transgressions committed by your government, and not on the transgressions committed by the ULO, which we should all condemn.

One of the founding tenets of this organisation is a pledge; a pledge to take effective collective measures for the prevention and removal of threats to the peace, and for the suppression of acts of aggression or other breaches of the peace. Why then, have we not condemned the flagrant warmongering and outright interventionist aggression of Arstotzka's President Kaminsky, who has threatened war with Lakhzovia and Saheristan, despite no provocation from either of our countries. Perhaps this organisation would benefit from banding together against external aggressors like President Kaminsky, rather than casting suspicion upon one another. Perhaps then, we would see more brotherhood amongst us."

Wiki Pages:
Saheristan Profile

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2017, 10:50:55 PM »
"The words of Arstotzka's President are naturally a concern, I believe that they too like the President of Lakhzovia should be given an oppurtunity to explain their words. We all know first hand what sabre rattling and threats, both veiled and unveiled can cause" Jacob was clearly referring to the Saheristan statement of having missiles capable of reaching The Iwi's shipping and so continued, "So before East Moreland condems anyone we seek to get the facts, just as we did with Lakhzovia, and therefore I would now be interested in what this situation going" he looked down at the notes he had, "haywire" he quoted from the Arstotzkan statement, "Actually means."

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2017, 10:55:19 PM »
"The resolution before this assembly was originally put to focus on the election situation, we have determined that it is most appropriate that the matter be looked into and a report to this assembly be made." Sakura said

The matter in regards to the Chemical Plant gives us a report from a trusted source however it does give two different narratives, I therefore would suggest that judgements as to the intent wait until the inquiry mentioned by President Kadassa is concluded I would also request for the purposes of transparency that the investigation team proposed in respect of the election investigation have its brief extended to collaborate with the Lakhzovian investigation into this matter.

Staying with the Chemical Plant I would like to ask about the plants location - my understanding and I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong about this, is that the plant was located in an urban area, this being the case implies civilians potentially being in the vicinity so to nip this in the bud right now I would like to ask for clarification as to what steps were taken to ensure that the chance of civilian casualties were as small as possible?

Finally as to President Kaminsky's statement I would first suggest that President Kaminsky appears to feel that he does have provocation - Saheristan did after all cut diplomatic ties with Arstotzka because Arstotzka recognized the Utman Republic as a nation but so has Rashidun and so have the Iwi that does not however change the fact that such statements are at best unhelpful and at worst downright dangerous on this I agree with Sir Jacob Arstotzka deserves the same liberty afforded to Lakhzovia, a right to explain their statement.

I would urge every party involved to take a leaf out of my uncle's book and offer to take a step back and deescalate in exchange for talks on how peace may be given a chance. President Kadassa's Government has been offered the opportunity for peace talk foundations and I hope he takes it."

Offline Malson

• Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Malson
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2017, 11:38:05 PM »
Darren Whitskayki
Arstotzkan CTO Ambassador

"On behalf of the statement made by Achkaerin and East Moreland,

our statement of war against Lahkzovia and Saheristan, our intentions for "war" is when at a time of which both the Kadassa Regime and Saheristan declares war upon the Utman in case of the snap of tension. We will not declare a conflict among Lahkzovia and Saheristan, unless of the most perfect conditions to do so, and we hope those conditions are not close to reality. Our most simple objective of the crisis is to resolve it peacefully with Utman being recognized worldwide as an independent civilization, and Saheristan's recent statements regarding our opinions is dragging us close to look and investigate more on Saheristan. In summary we should let Utman be an independent society, whether we should establish a buffer zone along it's borders..."

Offline Lakhzovia

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2017, 11:03:14 AM »
"I thank our honoured friend Ambassador Wazed for his well thought out points. My government is in agreement with him that this inordinate focus on Lakhzovia for every perceived and imagined wrong is disturbing, especially in light of the destabilising effect it is having Mundus wide. We have a situation where globally terrorist organisations are waging concerted efforts to break down the current world order, from the Lalishi terrorists in Saheristan, the Borlanders in Alba Karinye, the Sionists in the Ecclisiastical States and communist revolutionaries in Herrenbucht a vast international network of terror is waging a war against civilisation and yet this organisation has decided to lanch a diplomatic war, back with the threat of a real one, against our nation for attempting to defend ourselves against domestic threats.

If this is what the CTO has been reduced to then I fear it is no longer an organisation fit for purpose, a conclusion our Achkaerinese friends appear to have reached and one which I fear ever more nations will. The CTO in its persecution of my country and government is at very real risk of condemning itself to irrelevancy in that it is a symptom of the organisations inability, or unwillingness to address the real, pressing challenges facing our world.

My government has agreed on numerous occasions to requests to seek negotiations in order to lower the tensions, and yet the powers that be and their proxies continue to escalate this. Why? Could it possibly be that all this is being used to set up a pretext for a regime change, in order to put a more compliant puppet regime in charge of Lakhzovia?

We have just heard from the Rokkenjiman client state Artstotszka's delegate, that their threat to intervene militarily is predicated upon whether or not Lakhzovia allows the Utman to break away and form a separatist terror enclave. That they then go on to admit to a desire to establish within such a state their own military presence in the form of a buffer zone along its borders is frankly shocking, though one must at least credit them with an honesty that is lacking among their masters.

Turning back to the initial topic of discussion, that of the Vilniz Chemical Plant. While the plant itself is surrounded by a small urbanisation this area simply houses the staff and support services for the plant itself, the large part of the population of this area are ethnically Lakhzov and were evacuated when it became clear that the Khaliniz Brigade terrorists were advancing on the area, the plant at the time of the accident was being manned by a skeleton staff. The next closest population centre was some miles away, the town of Vilniz itself."

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2017, 08:58:28 PM »
Jacob stood up, "If I may attempt to focus things back. We stand here with a volatile situation taking place in Lakhzovia, throw into the mix potential cover ups and then reterict aimed at the CTO and the like, we stand a good chance of losing what we aimed to do here. So if I may propose a four point plan." Jacob tapped on his tablet and showed the room a basic proposal. "I suggest we stick to this rather than allowing this debate to go around the houses."

Quote from: East Moreland 4 Point Plan

1. The government of Lakhzovia accept and agree to implement the findings of the Royal East Moreland Air Force. Be it noted that they have already willingly complied with Recommendation No.4 of that document.

2. The Lakhzovian military to return to positions held as of 1st October 2017 and adopt a defensive posture.

3. Utmen forces to return to positions held as of 1st October 2017 and adopt a defensive posture.

4. A series of open talks between the Utmen and Lakhzovian delegates to take place on REMNS Dalek in the Illumic Channel. These to be chaired by a mutually acceptable CTO member of staff. The Royal East Moreland Navy to handle all transportation issues.

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2017, 10:14:23 PM »
Sakura nodded.

"It's a minor technical point but if we're talking about a series of talks then point four should state the first such talks to be held on the REMNS Dalek, I'm certain that the respective parties or the chair can determine locations of future talks, there are a lot of issues in the mix and it will take time to resolve these to an agreeable standard and each needs serious discussion." she said

"The proposed four point plan from Sir Jacob is sensible and  I will as part of this ensure that the text is communicated to the Utman, there's no point doing this without both sides agreeing. As Secretary General I will make myself available to chair these talks if both sides agree with that. I don't think this needs a vote as per resolution but an answer from Mr Hokh as to whether this is acceptable or not."

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2017, 02:45:51 PM »
"Factoring everything in we presently stand thus:" Sakura said, she sent the latest draft of the resolution up onto the various screens.

Resolution [XXXX]

The General Assembly,

1. Rejects at this time the results of the Lakhzov election.

2. Reserves the right to recognize the results of the election, as presented by President Kadassa, once an independent body has verified the results and concerns of misconduct have been satisfactorily addressed.

3. Commissions an observation team to visit Lahkzovia to investigate claims of electoral misconduct where observers may have access to any and all data relevant to the elections.

4. Requests Lakhzovia adopt the recommendations of the East Moreland report on the Vilniz Chemical Plant (noting recommendation four has been satisfied). The CTO further requests that the review identified in article three be reported on publicly or copies of the findings and subsequent recommendations of the review be made available to the international community and the Secretary General of the CTO.

5. Endorses the East Moreland Four Point Plan and urges Lakhzovia to engage with the plan, noting that the Utman have made known their readiness to negotiate.

6. Nominates Sakura Sheppard to chair the negotiations under point four of the above mentioned plan.

OOC- Given the speed that the relevant threads are moving on at I'm going to say 48 hours before this goes to a vote if no one says anything.

Also on a more minor point, I was drafting something up for the CMA and noticed that in the original FMN article on the old forum concerning this (found here) that Agran Tsagarai is identified as the leader of the Shanata Party while Laian Illaniy is stated to be the Democratic Alliance leader. I'd just like Lakh to confirm whether their respective positions have been swapped round because of the current narrative identifying Tsagarai as the DA leader.

Offline Sam

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2017, 05:38:45 PM »
"We have no further disputes at this time. Let this proceed to a vote."

Wiki Pages:
Saheristan Profile