Author Topic: The Summit of Aldspring  (Read 11823 times)

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Beatrice/Rokkenjima
The Summit of Aldspring
« on: September 17, 2017, 11:02:22 PM »

An Invitation To The Commonwealth And Abroad

Honourable dignitaries,

Recalling the efforts of East Moreland to call upon the members of the Commonwealth to join together in the interests of the future viability and long-term stability of the Commonwealth I have determined that we stand at yet another crossroads. Before us stand many options, however, I feel the one which best serves the spirit of the Commonwealth is an approach which allows not only the members of the Commonwealth but those prospective members as well an opportunity to gather together and set the course this vital institution should play in the years to come. We will move through the Charter, Article by Article, removing that which is unnecessary, improve that which remains, and produce an institution which is open and accessible to all nations (regardless of ideology), fair in its interactions with nations and non-governmental organisations, and best serves as a platform of global diplomacy, problem solving, and the maintenance of international stability.

To accomplish these aims I invite the members of the Commonwealth Treaty Organisation to Shizukesa Palace where the first Commonwealth Conference took place for a Summit which will be open and fair to all parties regardless of ideological pursuit or past interactions with the First Empire. Today we see before us a clean slate, an opportunity to engage and pursue an agenda which best serves the collective interests of the community of nations. This agenda will be set forth through the contributions of each nation present, with not one voice rising above the rest. Today, we open the Commonwealth to become the institution which truly represents an open platform of diplomacy for all nations, by allowing them ample opportunity to shape the Commonwealth for a new century.

I look forward to your replies, and greeting you at Shizukesa Palace.

In friendship;

Evanthe Rhodes
Empress of Rokkenjima
Duchess-Regent of Somerset

Shizukesa Palace, Aldspring, Estvua Prefecture

Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of the Independent Order
Empress of the First Empire of Rokkenjima

Factbook of the First Empire of Rokkenjima - Kingdom of Clysperis

Offline Lakhzovia

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Lakhzovia
Re: The Summit of Aldspring
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2017, 08:28:01 PM »

Lakhzov Delegation to
The Commonwealth Treaty Organisation

Lakhzovia warmly approves of the aims of this summit and sees in it a great opportunity to reaffirm the CTO as an organisation dedicated to stability and security of the family of nations in order that peace can be obtained in our increasingly fractious world.

It is a sad fact that the CTO under the influence of Valtheim has suffered from an over-obsession with policing the domestic policies of nations with little regard to the wider context in which such policies exist, this reduced the engagement rate of nations outside the stable block of major world powers as the fear existed that a strong CTO could intervene in sovereign issues of their own states. We feel this situation was due to the political sway held by Achkaerin in the organisation and welcome the news of their decision to leave the organisation as very real opportunity to reshape the CTO for the better.

I will therefore be in attendance at the summit with my team.

Regards

Ambassador Hokh

Offline Sam

• Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Saheristan
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2017, 11:09:10 PM »
Ambassador Khaleda Zia Wazed
Republic of Saheristan Commission to the CTO

The Republic welcomes this opportunity to affect the management of the Commonwealth Treaty Organisation, and re-emphasise that the CTO exists for nations to exist in harmony; not to be corralled and and have their sovereignty unduly infringed on ideological grounds.

I therefore look forward to attending and have high hopes for the future of this organisation.

Ambassador Khaleda Zia Wazed

President Khalid Amin Ashkan
The Republic of Saheristan

Wiki Pages:
Saheristan Profile
Insurgency in Lalishistan

Offline yasha

• Basically New Zealand
  • probably irrelevant
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Neo Quywe Federation
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2017, 12:52:11 AM »

Himeyan Response to the CTO meeting.

The Syndicated Confederacy would be delighted to attend the CTO summit in Aldspring. There are many things we have to discuss going forward with the CTO, while Achkaerin's impending departure from the CTO is unfortunate, it is not without reason, and should be treated as an alarming reminder to the current state of the commonwealth, one that we would be more than happy to help address as we discuss what we must do differently.

We retain an enthusiastic outlook on the future of the CTO, but there is much to be done. To this end, I am authorized to represent Himeyama and all its interests in the Aldspring summit.

Yuuko Ashina
CTO Ambassador
something funny or offensive here

Offline Arda Tuluva

• Basically New Zealand
  • Honor and glory! Death and shame to our enemies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 06:29:50 PM »

The Arda Tuluvan Imperial Delegation
to the Commonwealth Treaty Organization

Greetings and salutations,

It is very reassuring that there are nations willing to lead the way in fostering change to the organization whose mission is to maintain continual stability and harmony in our world. The aspirations and mandate that the Commonwealth Treaty Organization represents has always been held in high esteem by the Arda Tuluvan Empire. Though, in recent times those aspirations have been clouded and an uncertainty as taken root within the Commonwealth Treaty Organization.

As it has been and as it shall be, the Arda Tuluvan Empire, ever desirous, to maintain world harmony, therefore, eagerly accepts the invitation from Her Majesty, Evanthe Rhodes, Empress of the First Empire of Rokkenjima to attend the Aldspring Summit Shizukesa Palace. It is our hope that effective reforms can be agreed upon by all participants with equal voice to better help the collective interests of the international community.

Peace and prosperity to all.

With great sincerity,

Airamírë Vanestëacorin
Arda Tuluvan Ambassador to the Commonwealth Treaty Organization

Offline Lakhzovia

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 10:21:11 PM »
Ambassador Hokh had enjoyed the ride in his private car from the Palace of Nations to the Shizukesa Palace, it was nice to get to see more of Rokkenjima he felt. While he had spent many years as a delegate to the CTO in the country his mandate and schedule more or less prevented him from exploring.

His car drove along a gravel drive through a dense forest of trees before turning a bend to reveal the elegant spires and formal gardens of the Palace. "Typical Rokkenjiman ostentation" he remarked to himself before his car drew to a halt. He grabbed his briefcase and waited for the security guard sitting in the front passenger seat to open his side door before exiting. As he did so he heard the thud of the doors of the car behind him in which the rest of his delegation had also come.

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 11:38:56 PM »
OOC- To keep this moving I'm going to interpose the welcoming committee

Sakura had wanted to be at Shizukesa Palace to welcome the delegates, as Secretary General of the CTO - for a few more days at least it was what was expected of her. She sat on a low wall near the entrance to the Palace, clutched in her hand was a letter from Greg Carpenter, the brother of her predecessor Tim Carpenter. There was a tradition in the CTO that each Secretary General wrote a letter to their successor, Tim hadn't been able to write one for Sakura for reasons that were known so Greg had fulfilled the tradition on that occasion the letter read:

o Secretary-General Sheppard

Let me first on behalf of my brother Tim convey congratulations on attaining this position. I know it is tradition for the outgoing Secretary-General to leave some words of wisdom for their successor however in the abscence of my brother I thought it important we try and at least hold part of the tradition together.

My brother has been diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, which manifested itself through a deep psychosis. With the life Tim has lead this is not surprising, to have dedicated a life to campaigning for good causes across Mundus, technically dying twice during the regency crisis, then escaping execution during the Mercian Genocide while having to do something which for Tim was possibly the worst thing he could do, take another human life, there has to be a breaking point and sadly it came at a time he was doing a job he was most proud of. He saw the Secretary-General's position as one which could do great things, could bring the world together and create great solutions to our problems.

Tim believed that anyone working for the CTO needed three things and it is these that I would urge you to embrace.

1. Determination. He often spoke of how at times the CTO was an organisation that could frustrate, it needs strong hands on the rudder to drive it towards its goals. That needs someone determined to get things done in a timely manner, "Every second saves a life" Tim believed the CTO could spend too long talking unless determined to act. You must make it determined.

2. An acceptance you don't know everything. Tim often said "You only know what you know and I know nothing" but he considered that a strength. Realise that a time will come when you need to surround yourself with wise advice, and make picking those your priority. Tim did so with Dr.Merriman, a man he trusted to be his wisdom when he had none.

3. Humanity. Tim believed this had gone. While many in the CTO may now see his attempt at moving the CTO HQ to Uppsala as one connected to his condition I believe that is far from the case. He believed the CTO has lost its humanity. The fact the organisation talks but does not act. The fact many state the organisation does vital work, which they then don't support. Two nations have stood time and time again when asked. If the CTO is to survive it needs a human face, it needs to be approachable and it needs to show it stands with the normal people of Mundus not above them. Imagine the feeling the people of the world would have had seeing people such as yourself sorting the challenges of Mundus from one of its poorest areas, not its richest? Yes it may have seemed insane, but was it really? You must reconnect the CTO with people outside of politics.

These words of advice may mean nothing. They come from a young man who has never held political office, whose sole concern is whether the stresses on my construction projects are calculated correctly. Yet they are from someone who idolises his big brother, who knows that despite what the historians may end up writing about him that he has laid a foundation for yourself to build upon. It is my hope that you can use what he has left to rebuild the CTO into the glorious organisation the idealist Tim Carpenter will look at and smile once he has recovered. When that recovery comes the CTO can rest assured that Tim will be back in CTO action, be it some political role, or as an aid worker, or at worst leading the CTO Fan-Club. I myself will be leaving in the coming days to work as a voulenteer in Uppsala, it is my hope that soon I will be joined by people from across many CTO nations.

I wish you the best. May The Gods Watch Over You and Your Secretaryship Know Success.

Greg Carpenter

Determination...Wisdom...Humanity Sakura had had a plaque specially commissioned for the Secretary General's Office to remind her every day of this letter because it was the truth and of that there was no doubt. The good news was that there was a strong team within the Secretariat, from the living legend that was Ruth the secretary to the newly appointed Commonwealth Counsel Violet Dawson. It was good to see something put in place by Serenity during her two terms was still going strong. Determination and Humanity were where the battle had to be fought and it was a battle that she wasn't so sure could now be won the CTO had always when acting been correct in its acting they'd been right on Marseilles, right on Uppsala and...eventually...right on Mercia, but when it was considered that the acting had always been by Achkaerin and East Moreland any idea of broader determination and humanity within the organisation echoed hollow. Around eight hundred Morelander troops had lost their lives under the CTO banner and about seven hundred Achkaerinese troops had made that sacrifice, Sakura couldn't help but wonder how many of that number might be alive had they had more support. The CTO's biggest problem had nothing to do with the Treaty it had more to do with the apparent lack of willingness on the part of an overwhelming majority of its membership to get their hands dirty and help.

She looked up as she heard a car arrive, the flags on the bonnet indicated it was the Lakhzovians, Mr Hokh had arrived, Sakura glanced around no sign of Evanthe. She rose, pocketing the letter and waited as the Lakhzovian representative approached.

"Mr Hokh welcome to the Shizukesa Palace." Sakura said "I'm sure that Empress Evanthe would have liked to have greeted you in person but she appears to have been momentarily delayed and I confess that I have no idea as to why, I'm sure one of the Palace staff will be happy to show you where we'll be meeting and I look forward to a productive summit."

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 10:34:51 AM »
"Disturbing the staff won't be necessary," Evanthe said as she approached the two. "Ambassador Hokh, Madame Secretary-General, welcome to Shizukesa. While I would have liked to have been here sooner I was detained by Josiah; he finally agreed to spending the day with Uncle Abe," she continued with a chuckle. If I may, I would request a moment in private with Mr. Hokh, as there was something I wished to discuss with him before we begin today, that is if he agrees to a private audience with me," she said as she turned to the Lakhzov Ambassador.

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 10:47:45 AM »
OOC- No offence intended but this has already dragged on over two weeks. I think holding it up for some side talks is actually going to be massively unbeneficial for the momentum this needs. The biggest concern with the CTO is the lack of activity and already the conference is slow moving and has just cut out every other member from doing anything other than turning up.

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 11:01:43 AM »
OOC: If Ach wishes to jump to his statement we can proceed to that point. I'll have no objections.

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Lakhzovia

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 11:20:26 AM »
OOC: Sorry I completely missed this.

Hokh looked warily at Evanthe before agreeing to her request "Certainly. Lakhzovia is always happy to speak with friends, even at times their behaviour suggests otherwise." He said as he walked to follow the Empress.

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 12:18:18 PM »
Evanthe and Ambassador Hokh walked ahead of Secretary-General Sakura toward the dining room which had been prepared for the Summit itself. She had originally intended to deliver her opening remarks first, however, deferred to a speech by the Secretary-General to precede her statement. With the challenges before the Commonwealth she felt this was an opportunity which should be granted to the Secretary-General, however, her attention returned to the Lakhzov Ambassador. "Relations between our nations are not at their highest right now, indeed charged words have been exchanged between our respective representatives at all levels it seems. We can both see where things are likely heading, so I wished to give you something," she said as she handed Mr. Hokh an envelope.

"I would ask that you refrain from opening it until the conclusion of the Summit," she continued as they arrived at the seat designated for the Lakhzov delegation. "I've long respected your work in the General Assembly and, having seen individuals in your position before, I do not offer this envelop lightly. If you should have questions before your departure you need only ask," she said before taking to her seat.

Spoiler: show
Ambassador Hokh,

I would wish to commend you for your dedication and efforts on behalf of your Nation and her People, however, as time passes I believe we both know that something is terribly wrong in Lakhzovia. I believe that, when the time comes, you are a man of principle and will act in the interests of the People you represent. When that time arrives I wish to offer you safety in Rokkenjima, where you may continue to serve an important role in speaking on behalf of your People. I believe that, given the choice between speaking for Kadassa and speaking for the People, you will embrace the later, which is why I approach you with this offer today.

Should you wish to speak further I will be available following the Summit. I trust you will make the right decision when this responsibility falls upon you.

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Sam

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 10:07:17 PM »
The Saheristani diplomatic convoy arrived at Shizukesa Palace amid some uncertainty. Khaleda Zia Wazed's mission to the CTO had always reflected her government's tepid engagement with the CTO; better the devil you know than the devil you don't.

For a government like President Ashkan's; more concerned with internal stability than anything else, the CTO and it's protests needed to be carefully managed and negated. To this end, Khaleda's job was to carefully and economically apply her political capital to sway the CTO, as much as she could. Too much noise, and the CTO would see the Saheristanis as a disruptive influence. Too little, and they would be more inclined to aggression, particularly if the Lalishi war became nastier, or oil prices were driven that bit much too high, or if too little was done to curb Lalishi heroin export. In short, a policy of containment.

With this in mind, Khaleda donned her headscarf and stepped from the back of her car. Observing the delegations on her way to the dining room where the meeting was to be held, she noted the Empress Evanthe and Ambassador Hokh in conversation. Exchanging pleasantries with those around her, yet leaving the two diplomats further across the room to themselves, she nonetheless made inquisitive eye contact with the Empress and Hokh, indicating silently that she had words for each of them, in time.

Wiki Pages:
Saheristan Profile

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017, 12:25:38 AM »
OOC- I intend to have Sakura open this up Tuesday afternoon UK time so anyone else doing arrivals you've got till then after that just assume you've always been there.

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2017, 11:39:23 PM »
Sakura, still outside glanced at her watch, it was almost time but then came a roar she knew well, don't even have to look she thought, Mundus's biggest petrol head was arriving in one of her super cars.
"I was starting to wonder what was keeping you." Sakura said as her cousin the Crown Princess of Achkaerin Serenity Azurewind got out of the car and made her way up the steps to the entrance.
"Caught a little traffic near the airport." Serenity said, she hugged her cousin "Sorry."
"Don't be, well out of your control." Sakura said "I'm going to kick things off then I'm handing you the floor. If we're going to reform the CTO then we should first hear the problems and as Achkaerin just voted to leave you're best positioned to state them."
"Fair enough." Serenity said

A few minutes later the various delegations took their seats at the table, Sakura looked around the table.

"I thank everyone for coming to this summit and I thank Rokkenjima for hosting this summit. It is a summit that should not have been needed as the opportunity for reform of this organisation was addressed in Silverhills East Moreland not that long ago, however the lack of a substantive consensus in that summit led to the continuation of niggling issues within the organisation and ultimately recent events that have seen the Achkaerinese decision to leave the organisation. My intention today is to address the issues that face this organisation of which the treaty is only a small part and is easily addressed not by going through the treaty section by section but by reviewing the East Moreland proposal from Silverhills, a proposal that was a streamlining of the organisation and allowed it to stand stronger with its principles." Sakura said

"Following the conclusion of this summit, I will submit any redesigned treaty and other points as a resolution to the General Assembly for the procedural process.[1]

Finally I will restate for the record the situation with regards to Achkaerinese citizens who presently hold office within the CTO, the organisation will not require the resignations of those Achkaerinese citizens who hold office with the Secretariat team or those who hold office within subsidiary organisations. Now with that said I hand the floor to Crown Princess Serenity since if we are to address CTO reform we should first know what the issues are."

With Sakura having said her piece Serenity took a few deep breaths, she opened the shoulder bag she'd placed next to her chair and took something out of it.

"First allow me to observe formality." Serenity said she slid the item, a sealed letter to the Secretary General, in front of Sakura it was in short the formal resignation of Achkaerin from the CTO effective from the end of Sakura's tenure as Secretary General "The CTO has five major problems which fueled the Leave Campaign in Achkaerin resulting in the decision to leave, some of these are known others may not be."

"The first problem is commitment." she continued then she did something unexpected she took from the bag a book with the Achkaerin seal on the front and placed it on the table with a heavy thud "This contains the details of seven hundred Achkaerinese military personnel lost on CTO operations." she wasn't finished she took another book, a heavier one, this one with the Morelander seal on it, on the table "Approximately eight hundred Morelander military personnel lost on CTO operations. That's a total of around one thousand five hundred troops from these two nations lost.

Let me be clear, I sat in the Commonwealth Conference with the present Secretary General as representatives of Achkaerin and we agreed with an understanding that in the early days the burden of providing the military force of the Commonwealth would likely fall on the nations that at the time made up the Cross Straits Treaty Organisation and the Confederation of Independent States. In Marseilles this was the case as we saw the four major CIS powers in Achkaerin, Dijel, East Moreland and Seaforth play major roles alongside South Hills, Nueva Ardia and Nya Aland. However there was a clear lack of commitment from Rokkenjima in this operation an operation that Grand Marshall Cole had command of - we were promised thirty thousand Rokkenjiman troops and extensive naval and air support none of which materialized and as a result the amphibious assault part of the operation that was being spearheaded by Achkaerin was put in jeopardy.

Then let's fast forward to Uppsala, starting with the initial disaster we only saw Achkaerinese and East Moreland forces deployed as the situation has evolved we've seen additional nations commit support only one of which is a CTO member - Himeyama, the others are not CTO members and in a crisis that should have been simple for the CTO to show it's commitment to its principles this is nothing short of humiliating. And then we have Mercia, this organisation didn't even debate the situation and it's refusal to do so forced unilateral action by Achkaerin and East Moreland this time with later support from Ui Cenneslaig a non CTO nation. An action that saved lives.

The lack of involvement in these operations by the vast majority of the CTO membership shows a clear lack of commitment on their part to roll their sleeves up and get their hands dirty, and if anyone here thinks their nation has a good excuse then I know one thousand five hundred family's who would like to hear it and no..." her eyes flicked towards Evanthe "The shadow of the Andean Genocide is not a good excuse remember Achkaerin is the sole nation condemned by this organisation and that didn't stop Achkaerin from doing its bit. So your first challenge is ensuring that when the CTO is forced to take such action that it is an action where the burden is fairly shared.

The second problem with the CTO is it takes too long to make decisions, the process is reliant on the engagement of nations in debate and where there is none the will of the Secretary General to keep the business progressing and to put matters to vote in a timely manner. This bureaucracy is something easily addressed if one is prepared to reassess the format of the organisation, the Silverhills proposal made by King David was and remains a streamlined version of the Commonwealth Treaty however before you decide to review that I would suggest you ask a different question 'does the present operational model of the CTO work?' rather than try to salvage a format that at times feels like you're flogging a dead horse wouldn't you be better off first discussing is there another model that might work? And if I may be so bold I need only look toward my cousin to suggest that there may be an answer there.

Third in a related way is the perceptual image that the CTO presents, it gives off an image that it is an Organisation dominated by the major powers on Mundus and historically there's every reason to believe that given that Achkaerin, East Moreland and Rokkenjima account for the vast majority of CTO resolutions and of the seven people to have held the position of Secretary General there have been two Achkaerinese, two Rokkenjiman's, one Morelander, one Nord and one Tytorian, so five out of seven have been from major powers. So there is a need to consider how other nations may be encouraged to participate more within the CTO, however bear in mind that the lack of activity in debate is not the fault of those that choose to debate issues it is for those who have so far declined to participate in debates to answer.

Fourth there is no regional collaboration the Palace of Nations serves as the home of the CTO yet there is no link to the regions of Mundus as the CTO rides roughshod over all, this needs to change look at the approach of the CMA in debating the Academicia crisis, they didn't debate independent action they asked the Alba Karinya Organisation whether they had the situation under control, the CTO could learn a lot from that. It is surely a matter of urgency for the CTO to adopt an ambassadorial program similar to the Prefect program being trialed by Achkaerin or the set up of Ui Cenneslaig whereby you have ambassadors assigned to continents except rather than it being continents in this case it would be to organisations.

Finally the CTO has an international court of justice which is frankly an absolute joke because it does nothing and has no real jurisdiction, what cases does anyone expect this court to arbitrate over? Uppsala Convention? No because there's already the Convention Court. MCUR? Fair Seas Concordat? No because not every CTO member is a signatory of those treaty's and it sends very mixed messages. It's a useless Court and tied in with this there is an unwillingness on the CTO to challenge nations when they act contrary to international law CTO member or not. When the Iwi committed a blatant violation of the Fair Seas Concordat as a signatory nation, did the CTO do anything? Surely it's not too much to ask for an expression of dissatisfaction. If this organisation is going to stand for peace, justice and everything else it claims to stand for then it must start acting like it uniformly.

Now Achkaerin does not wish to take any action against other members of this organisation, despite our legal right to do so, but I would remind each and every one of you gathered here of Article forty seven The Members of the Commonwealth Treaty Organisation shall join in affording mutual assistance in carrying out the measures decided upon by the Security Council. This Article requires each member nation to commit to supporting CTO actions when decided upon, can you honestly say that you have done so? Achkaerin can, East Moreland can, Himeyama can. Can anyone else? We are well past the short term scenario that was implied at the Commonwealth Conference, the refusal to commit on the part of the CTO has already cost this organisation one of it's major contributors, do not let it cost you another it is publicly known that King David is going to review East Moreland's membership based on the outcome of this summit you may be able to survive one of your major contributors leaving but do you believe that this organisation could remain committed and ready to show its commitment to its principles if the other major contributor left?"

Serenity glanced at the two books for a second and then back at the people around the table

"Take the chance and reform now, remember the foundation of this organisation and live up to it, do not let these one thousand five hundred people's sacrifices mean nothing, make them mean something, make them count not only for the lives they have saved but the lives that they will save if you spread the burden more than you presently have. Achkaerin will still be there, as we've assured everyone leaving the CTO does not mean that we won't act if we see another Mercia type situation, we simply cannot countenance asking our brave men and women to make the ultimate sacrifice for an organisation that refuses to live up to its principles. This is your last chance I urge you to take it. Thank you."

Serenity relaxed in her chair and Sakura looked around the table.

"I believe then we have heard the issues, many of which we recognize, the floor is now open but I remind everyone present that this is about reform of the CTO and not debating what's become known as Achxit." Sakura said "Primarily we have two issues the organisational structure and the organisational commitment. I suggest we focus our energies there but as has been suggested before we consider any potential treaty amendments I am minded to suggest we take an open minded approach as has been suggested and ask whether the current format of the organisation actually works the way it is supposed to work."
 1. OOC- within 24 hours of such a resolution being processed through vote Sakura's term will expire and we will begin election for a new Sec-Gen or whatever process is determined.

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2017, 04:59:36 PM »
Sir Jacob Longe stood to speak.

"I would like to begin by formally thanking Achkaerin and her service men and women for their dedication to duty and to this organisation over the years. Our two nations men and women have been both the spear and shield of this organisation and that must change, it must now by any stretch. This is our final chance at salvaging the CTO, a project conceived for many right reasons. Reform is not the major issue, streamling processes will of course help, the issue is the people in the room back in the CTO HQ, they must have the desire to stand up and actually engage, sitting by means the organisation fails.

The CTO faces a 2nd problem and it is its perception, or rather the perception of it. A famous historian once said that a persons perception is their reality, what I think he means is that the way a person interprets a thing is the way he is convinced the world is, they will hold that perception until it changes and at that point so does their reality. In the context of the CTO that is a problem, the perception held by many across Mundus is that this organisation is either the puppet of Rokkenjima or that without Rokkenjima it falls apart. This is not helped by some of the statements in recent days I have read which include one written by our host claiming Rokkenjima provide the vast majority of CTO funding, a claim that frankly is laughable[1]. It is claims like that which make those perceptions seem the reality when those men and women listed in the books you've just been shown would say otherwise.

If we are to move this organisation forward there must be some action taken to address these misconceptions, clearly to anyone with any sense it is clear the CTO is not a Rokkenjiman puppet, otherwise the Andean Genocide fall out would not have taken place. Furthermore we need the world to lose the perception that the CTO only works with Rokkenjima, it works if the members are willing to stand up and help each other. Nothing stopped the vast majority of nations around this table taking part in aid operations in Uppsala and few joined sanctions against Mercia. If a streamlined CTO makes people more active then use King David's Silverhills proposal, if the problem is something else then lets have it out and solve it. Failure to do so in a swift manner dooms us to fail for good."
 1. The USA in RL contribute 22% of the UN budget and then contribute to peacekeeping by the amount they provide. With Rokkenjima providing nothing to the last year in terms of boots on ground etc and EM and Achkaerin doing that, as well as Rokkenjima taking no action through the refugee council and not even being a member of the Health Organisation I find it hard to imagine they will have provided 50%+ of the funds used by the CTO.

Offline Sam

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2017, 11:17:03 PM »
Ambassador Khaleda Zia Wazed was the next to rise.

"I hear and understand the previous statements from my honoured colleagues, and as Saheristan's martial capabilities continue to expand and our deployment capabilities grow, we have every intention of ramping up our peacekeeping and humanitarian commitments to ever greater levels. This is, of course, a win-win sum; peace is always beneficial.

However, no man, no matter how civil his intention, can be expected to ignore the evidence of his own eyes. The CTO, in the eyes of many in Saheristan, puts the cart before the horse. To take appropriate measures to strengthen universal peace, we must sometimes fight those who threaten peace. Fighting for peace is no paradox, but a moral imperative.

Peace for it's own sake is a fool's errand. Just as tolerance of intolerance eventually leads to the elimination of the tolerant, striving for peace in all situations, at all times hands the initiative to the warmongers, and ties the hands of the righteous behind their backs. How many times throughout history have we seen the good band together and fight evil, with the world better off after? I believe this organisation has forgotten that the peace is not absolute, it needs defending. 

This cuts both ways. For nations like my own, and others, whose commencement to the CTO has at times been half-hearted and questionable, it means that we have been lethargic. We have sat idle in the face of adversity, but I believe we can learn from these mistakes with the invigoration of this organisation, with a new direction. One that recognises the moral imperative of a righteous struggle for the sake of peace.

Let us take the current situation is Lakhzovia at face value. A member-state, beset by a separatist group which has committed terrorist acts in the past, is being intimidated away from restoring peace within it's borders by members of this organisation. Do they not see that their actions reward aggression? That they are indirectly encouraging warmongers around the world to rise and fight, knowing that the CTO will prevent the true and just authorities of their respective nations from bringing justice upon them and restoring peace?

In short, this organisation should do less to restrain and corral it's own members, and more to defend the established peace against aggressors, both foreign and domestic, for the sake of peace. Our goals should be to establish a Concert of Mundus, one that upholds the balance of power, encourages and actively brings us together in pursuit of mutual internal stability. We cannot expect goodwill towards an organisation that does not take efforts to curry it." 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 11:35:18 PM by Sam »

Wiki Pages:
Saheristan Profile

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2017, 09:50:12 AM »
OOC: For refernce, Silverhills:

In order to ensure that in the future the CTO is reformed in a manner to promote equality amongst nations and to speed up the resolution process I request nations consider the following amendments to the CTO charter.

1. Article 12- The Security Council shall cease to exist, it has become an irrelevence and as such should no longer be considered part of the CTO.

2. Article 17 - All decisions to be made on a majority of members casting their vote rather than a 2/3 ratio that currently exists.

3. Article 20 to be removed.

4. Article 22-31 to be removed

5. The position of Secretary General to be abolished, it is a position that has not fucntioned correctly for some time[1] as such this position is to be replaced with the Head of Civil Service[2] This person shall be responsible for bringing to the attention of the General Assembly resolutions filed by CTO members. Once any resolution had been debated for at least 5 hours [3] It may be moved to vote by the support of two members in addition to the proposer. The CTO shall be represented internationally by a rotating President determined for a three month period in order of signatory.

6. The new President is responsible, along with the new Head of Civil Service for meeting with and representing the organisation in any national discussion. The President may not be a serving member of any nations government, may not hold a royal title and may not be holding a commission in the military.

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Lakhzovia

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2017, 12:12:42 PM »
"It would seem to me, and it is also the position of my government, that part of the problem with the CTO that has caused the greatest ill will is the perceived burden when it comes to peacekeeping issues.

We feel that this could be resolved by the creation of a permanent CTO Peacekeeping Force made up of personnel from all signatory nations to be the under control of a CTO appointed Commander. This would prevent the political considerations of individual nations becoming an obstacle to peacekeeping, ensure that there are always forces ready for immediate deployment and ensure that all nations are sharing the burden of CTO actions."

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2017, 02:46:25 PM »
"When I joined the Navy I took an oath which among other things included promises to defend the innocent , protect the helpless, uphold justice, freedom, self determination and most importantly a pledge of allegiance to my country. " Serenity said "As a Lieutenant in the Achkaerinese Navy my Commander in Chief is the Emperor and that is the case for every service man and woman in the ranks of the Achkaerinese military. In Rokkenjima the Commander in Chief is the Empress, in East Moreland it is the King or Queen I believe. If Achkaerin wasn't already leaving the CTO we'd walk the second the CTO got an army because you do not have the right to ask or demand that soldiers go against their superiors, imagine we had this peacekeeping force and the General Assembly voted to deploy it but say East Moreland voted against it are you seriously expecting East Moreland soldiers assigned to that peacekeeping force to be deployed? You can't compel that. It gets even better though because in all likelihood the commander of that force would be a Morelander. I'll speak plainly the CTO is an organisation not a nation, the best you would be able to achieve without directly interfering in the sovereignty of nations over their military forces is to encourage nations to put elements of their military's on standby for CTO action, something most already do."

"The issue is not the lack of willingness on the part of member states but that that willingness does not seem to translate into boots on the ground, look at Marseilles there were more than ten nations willing to get involved in CTOMM in the end it came down to four." Sakura said "And half of those came in late. I don't believe the CTO needs an army nor I do believe it should have an army. Because I do not believe creating that will solve the issue it will merely create a much more dangerous one.

At this point my belief is that the CTO is not fit for purpose in its current format, it has a bureaucratic nature that takes too long to put things in place, it  has organs that are surplus to requirements. Therefore my question is this - are we flogging a dead horse? Because it strikes me that there is a very simple alternative in the form of the Round Table. Simply getting nations around a table on a matter by matter basis to work out a way forward, and it has a strong track record this is the format that conceived of the Treaty for the Protection of Hygelac and Hrothgar, that ended the Toshikawan Civil War, that resolved in some way the Scordisci situation and formed the basis for the Achkaerinese and Vaguzian coalition in Phuebra. No votes, no membership requirements, flexible format. To me that sounds a lot better than what we have and it removes the problems.

So before this goes any further I would ask that people consider whether the CTO should be salvaged, or whether we should in fact here and now propose its disbanding and in its place put a system that works for everyone and does not put the kind of pressures on nations that the CTO does."

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2017, 07:41:42 PM »
Jacob put his head in his hands, this was exactly the problem the CTO faced, while a  proposal sat on the table it was ignored in favour of a new talking point. Jacob stood to speak.

"If I may explain why creating a CTO military of any kind is flawed." he took a breath. "The concept of a permanent peacekeeping force under a nominated commander is doomed. Let me explain, by putting in place a permanent structure we end up with a force that is not tailor made. No military sends forces into a hostile zone unless they are suited to it. So for example if we were to deploy into Cascadia, a heavily mountainous area then the East Moreland Alpine Cadre would be the perfect force to send, however if we headed to the desert of Kaitaine then they'd be no use what so ever. By having a permanent force we see it being unable to adapt to the situation. Now with no permanent force and nations just standing by their commitment we'd see if the Cascadia example came to light every nation sending their equivalent of the Alpine Cadre making a much more effective force.

Secondly where is this force to be maintained? If they are to be essentially placed at home soil and just made avaliable then it defeats the purpose, we may as well just have nations deploy as and when required. Furthermore if we do have a permanent home HQ we now have an infastructure that will require mass funding and create a potential situation where forces from the nation being deployed to are present at the base, creating a tense situation. It would also likely mean having bases spread across Mundus meaning the situation is no quicker to deploy than if we deploy from home soils.

Next the issue of a permanent commander is folly. Take for example Marseille, a conflict that called for a more focused special forces and potential amphibious operation. In that situation it was mainly Brigadier Kelly of East Moreland's Red Legion who ran the day to day operation because of his experience with special forces operations. However when we look at the Cultist Genocide situation that required tremendious aviation resources and so an Air Force officer was a better option. By selecting a single officer to take a permanent lead you are once more failing to play to the strengths of having so many nations and skilled soldiers to call upon. And what would happen if for example the commander was from East Moreland and it was to East Moreland you had to deploy? Or even worse, if it was a situation against the Borlanders, would the world really want a Morelander with command of potentially hundreds of thousands of troops to take control of that when emotions would run high? The answer is no and therefore we'd be back discussing who should run things while also trying to unpick a chain of command.

Even if such an idea where to go ahead nations would still have to commit resources and manpower, many nations do not have a spare few regiments lying around and so it will still fall to those nations who in the past have stepped up to do so, and they required no permanent force to do so. The creation of a CTO military is a huge mistake which rather than help make the CTO an organisation of action will hamstring it. The force would be inflexible, unweidly and open to disruption on a mission by mission basis. It adds a layer of administration the organisation does not need, if anything it needs less.

The creation of a CTO military is a bad option and one we will not support in any shape or form. Nations soldiers should be under the command of officers from their nation not some foreign power. "

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2017, 10:47:10 PM »
"The creation of a CTO military, or any such similar force, is a matter which will not be discussed here as it does nothing to solve any issues presently facing the Commonwealth, nor is it a measure which is desired by the majority of the Commonwealth's membership. I would wish to re-direct attention to the proposal put forth by East Moreland at the Silverhills Conference, a gathering which Rokkenjima supported and an approach which I feel will go a long ways toward restoring the Commonwealth to its foundations. However, even with such a measure Commonwealth members, Rokkenjima included, must take a more involved role in the operations of the Commonwealth. When the call to action arises, so must we place our collective energies and forces to movement to ensure the values and principles of the Commonwealth are upheld."

"While it is impossible to change events which have already transpired we have, today, an opportunity to place the Commonwealth on a new course, with renewed strength and a directed vision as to what the Commonwealth should be. We see direct engagement in Lakhzovia, with the collective efforts of the Commonwealth working toward a peaceful resolution of the myriad crises inflicting that nation, while being mindful that success is imperative to prevent a broader conflict from sparking. While looking at present successes, it is important to highlight the successes we have seen through the selfless service and dedication of partners such as East Moreland and Achkaerin, even as inaction and paralysis gripped others; an era where the weight of all is carried on the back of few, and an era of Rokkenjiman inaction, cannot continue, and nor shall they. Rokkenjima has recognized its past failures and has implemented several measures to ensure they do not transpire again. This Summit, combined with the aforementioned measures, will ensure a fully-engaged Rokkenjima which upholds its share of the effort and responsibility demanded by the Commonwealth."

"Silverhills presented an opportunity which was not fully utilized, thus this is a position I believe we should start from today. I have long respected the vision of King David, his even-temper and his shared desires for a truly better Mundus for all. It is with these principles and his honour that he presented the Silverhills Conference which aimed at tackling the malaise which established itself within the Commonwealth. Let us give the due attention, consideration, and respect to the Silverhills proposal deserves and focus on those measures which tackle the issues facing the Commonwealth; a common military force, however tempting the idea may be to some, is not a focus we will be covering at this Summit."

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2017, 11:26:35 PM »
"With all due respect that is not the starting point, that is a much later question." Sakura said "The starting point is a very simple question - what do you want this organisation to do? And then when you've answered that you determine which model of organisation works best for it. Because let's be clear there is little point discussing something that is then in a years time going to be discussed again because nothing's changed. Only consider Silverhills when you are certain that it is the best way for this organisation to do what you want it to do. In fact if I may take a leaf out of the former Dartfordian Prime Minister's book at this point I suggest you answer the following questions:

1) What problems do you believe the CTO has?

2) Should the CTO exist? (OOC - this is not about whether a UN type org should exist or not but specifically this one)

3) Regardless of your answer to (2) what do you want the CTO to do?

The answers to these questions will allow us to proceed.

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2017, 04:52:04 AM »
"I believe those problems presently facing the CTO are a lack of engagement between member states and the Commonwealth, an issue which is best reflected in the general apathy which inflicts the Commonwealth seemingly on this day as well. At times where action was demanded we saw an evaporation of support, promises offered yet not followed through with action, and divisional conflicts infect bodies such as the General Assembly, resulting in a crippling paralysis. It is clear that a different approach is demanded by many nations, an effort which Rokkenjima is doing its part to address, while the spirit of international community and a shared mantle of the responsibilities of the Commonwealth must be restored."

"The CTO should exist," Evanthe paused to sip her water, "Many around this table will remember the vast time and energy which went into the formation of the Commonwealth, and the tenets upon which it was founded are just as vital today as they were when the Commonwealth was formed. The issues facing the Commonwealth at present are most concerning, however, it is not the belief of Rokkenjima that it has reached a terminal level, yet. On its present trajectory, however, I believe we would all agree that the Commonwealth is not on a sustainable path. Thus the reason for this Summit, to right the ship and bring it back on a course which restores the respect and adherence to the principles of the Commonwealth."

"As for what I wish the CTO to do, I want to see it engage in active and engaged diplomacy, addressing issues in a swift and efficient manner while promoting a spirit of community amongst the nations of Mundus. A platform for global diplomacy and problem solving is what many of us originally envisioned, while allowing for the right tools to prevent a spiral of conflict and crisis from again challenging peace and stability upon Mundus. These are all mandates which the Commonwealth is capable of fulfilling so long as we are committed and engaged with our fellow Commonwealth partners."

"In times past, and indeed recently, we have seen abdications of responsibility and accountability by the First Empire, issues which I have endeavoured to rectify to the best of my abilities. These efforts do not excuse these abdications and, regardless of whether issues took place during the reign of my predecessor or that of my own, they remain issues which Rokkenjima has a responsibility to address to the fullest of its capacity. Too often Rokkenjima was quick to use her voice without consideration only to allow her allies, the vast majority of times East Moreland and Achkaerin, to bear the burden of sacrifice alone.  I cannot change those past decisions or reverse prior decisions, however, as we see in Lakhzovia Rokkenjima is dedicating itself to full engagement with the Commonwealth to resolve this, and all future, crises."

"Marseilles, the unjustified ire cast upon Nya Aland, the Uppsala disaster, Toshindai/Nueva Ardia, Merica....the point being that list became much too long at the first of those situations. For me, never again has more than one meaning and is a crucial principle which I have been working to instill in every level of the Rokkenjiman Government. Rokkenjima will continue to make each effort it can to ensure that list grows no longer. Dedicated action, in concert with allies and international partners, is so crucially important if we hope for this Commonwealth to succeed."

"We see the issues before us, we know those which must be addressed, if we are willing to come together and crush the seemingly systemic apathy and bureaucracy and replace it with swift determination and mutual cooperation the Commonwealth most certainly is capable of revitalizing itself."
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 07:59:45 AM by Beatrice »

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2017, 09:09:22 PM »
"I see we are already beginning to go in circles" Sir Jacob Longe began, " This conference should have been straight forward, simply put the Silverhills proposal to a vote, if accepted we discuss other issues such as how to repair issues with nations like Nya Aland, get more people to contribute to things like the refugee council and the like. If it doesn't pass then we discuss what reforms are needed. So I therefore request a vote now on the Silverhills proposal."

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2017, 09:26:15 PM »
"Ok since we're at an impasse I put the Silverhills Proposal to a vote." Sakura said "Note please that if accepted there will be a need to amend the article of the Treaty relevant to observer members as it would repeal article 22.5."

OOC- I'm going to say 48 hours as per usual

Offline Lakhzovia

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2017, 09:52:09 AM »
Lakhzovia votes in favour of adopting the Silverhills proposal

Offline Sam

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2017, 10:44:46 AM »
In favour.

Wiki Pages:
Saheristan Profile

Offline KaiserAdolf

• Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Indera Kayangan
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2017, 12:32:32 PM »
In favour.

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2017, 09:47:29 PM »
The First Empire votes in favour of the Silverhills Proposal.

Beatrice Anselmo