Author Topic: CTO Debate - Dissolution of the CTO (AT VOTE)  (Read 4939 times)

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
CTO Debate - Dissolution of the CTO (AT VOTE)
« on: February 15, 2019, 03:46:51 PM »
GENERAL ASSEMBLY SUBMISSION FORM
Formal Name of Submitting Nation(s): Head of the Civil Service and the Commonwealth Counsel
Nations involved: All CTO Nations
Title of Submission: Motion to Dissolve the Commonwealth Treaty Organisation
Draft Resolution:

Commonwealth Treaty Organisation
General Assembly Resolution

Resolution [XXXX]
Adopted by the General Assembly on [Date]

General Assembly,

Aware of the issues that have blighted the organisation post CTOMM,

Understanding the reasons why member nations have acted outside of the organisations purview,

Concerned that the willingness of the organisation to act has been shown only by a minority of the membership,

Further concerned that such inaction by the majority of the membership has damaged the organisations reputation internationally

Believing that the organisations reputation, standing and credibility is terminally damaged by such inaction

Acts as follows:

1. Dissolves the Commonwealth Treaty Organisation effective as of midnight on the 15th of May 2019.

2. Agrees that should this resolution pass that steps be taken, in advance of the dissolution, to ensure the continuation of the subsidiary organisations - the Mundus Health Organisation, Mundus Refugee Council and the Mundus Crime Agency in some form.

3. Extends its thanks to Tim Carpenter, Birgit Strand, Princess Evanthe Rhodes, Crown Princess Serenity Azurewind, Lord Joseph Cornwallis and Sheriff Sakura Sheppard for serving as Secretary General.

4. Thanks Doctor Duvall and subsequently Doctor Byrne for serving as Lead Health Advisor of the MHO, Melissa Lusk for serving as chair of the Refugee Council and Amber Duff for serving as Chief Constable of the Mundus Crime Agency.

Any other details: I could provide a detailed breakdown of a few things to support the need to get rid of the CTO but I won't because ICly they are well known. In practical terms if the CTO is not being used and continues to not act when faced with situations that it was meant to be able to deal with then it simply has no purpose. It is brought in this form because the CTO can only cease to exist by means of a CTO resolution and it does need to be voted on because of the relationship the CTO has with other organisations and alliances. Should the resolution pass then the CTO would cease to exist as per article 1 and we would then have to before the dissolution propose how to independently establish the subsidiary organisations for example I imagine the refugee council would be rolled into the IRSA.

Note: Depending on length of debate the date stipulated in article 1 may be altered.

Usual convention applies of a minimum three day debate and then vote.

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
Re: CTO Debate - Dissolution of the CTO
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2019, 08:41:36 PM »
Sir Jacob Longe stood up and prepared to speak by taking a sip of water. "My father once told me that it is better to have something and never need it than need it and never have it. East Moreland has made no secret of its criticism of the organisation however it is felt that such an organisation still could have its day. We have seen in he media over the past weeks and months the Empress of Rokkenjima make claims that she has plans of how to reorganise the CTO to ensure it relevancy. Before I make any decision on the future of this organisation I think those should be heard, the time for posturing about what the CTO could be is over. If Rokkenjima is serious about saying this sinking ship then two things must happen. First Rokkenjima must recognise that it is not an organisation dependent on them, and the second is that they must present proposals now rather than keep everyone here hanging on. It is my personal belief that a day may come when such an organisation as the CTO is needed and when that day does come it would be best if it existed rather than having to be dragged out of the ashes."

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Beatrice/Rokkenjima
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 04:14:33 AM »
"No excuses, the First Empire has abdicated its responsibility to the CTO," Kennsington, in his final appearance as Imperial Liaison to the CTRoO began. "CTOMM, any number of instances which followed, the ball was dropped far too often. However," he paused, "I think this Empress realizes where she has fallen short. She knows there are no manouvers to be pulled, no tricks, to abdicate responsibility to that past, and that's why I remain firm in my belief in the future of the CTO and Rokkenjima's part in that future."

"Communications are the immediate issue, followed by coordination, commitment, and indeed, conviction. You can't place the burden on a few folks and expect the system to work, can you? I've worked with the Empress on a presentation and, given the permission of the chair, I would be pleased to present it in two day's time. The CTO is wounded, but quite often a wound makes the whole better. Let us see if the prescription is up to snuff before closing the curtains, yes?"

Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of the Independent Order
Empress of the First Empire of Rokkenjima

Factbook of the First Empire of Rokkenjima - Kingdom of Clysperis

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 10:20:51 PM »
OOC- I intend to have this put to vote in 24 hours. So if anything's going to be presented in the way of alternatives this is the final warning.

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 09:27:28 AM »
"With no plan of how to proceed and a failure to address the long standing and genuine frustrations of East Moreland I have hereby been ordered to serve notice that in 14 days time the people of East Moreland will be presented with a referendum. That referendum question shall be. "How should East Moreland proceed regarding the CTO?" People shall be presented with three options, first remain, second leave but seek to join the CMA or lastly leave this kind of organisation completely." In the past it has been East Moreland and Achkaerin who have consistently and unhesitatingly put troops in harms way when this organisation has called for it, when it has called for humanitarian operations it has been these two nations who have been among the first in and last out and our ambassadors who have helped drive forward debates. We have called regularly and consistently for the international community to join with us and reassess this organisation. There appears to be no desire for this organisation to exist and we have already seen one of the work horses leave. I am confident the people of East Moreland will watch this chamber with interest over the next two weeks seeking to determine whether this organisation serves the best interests of our own people or makes any useful contribution to the wider world. We have already seen efforts to replicate its successful functions such as the Refugee Agency and I would urge the international community to look to these as a means of giving their support to the people who need it most. With that I yield the floor." 

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 04:01:51 PM »
"When was the last time the member states of the Commonwealth gathered, for any purpose? It has long been clear that communications is an issue which continues to hobble the Commonwealth, thus it is imperative to ensure constant and consistent communications replace the present lack of any whatsoever. We feel that bi-monthly 'working sessions', at the bare minimum, would begin to rebuild the Commonwealth's capacity, unity and cohesion as an institution. These working sessions would follow an agenda established by the 'hosting state' while taking place here at the Palace of Nations, with an open period for all states to present concerns that may then become the genesis for resolutions and concrete action."

"We must also ensure that, never again, may the work of the Commonwealth be placed at the feet of the few out of the many. All states which are members of the Commonwealth have a responsibility to do their part, and those who decline that responsibility should face some form of penalization. As the Commonwealth moves forward we should take this as an opportunity to recommit, and hold ourselves to the higher standard that was originally envisioned when the Commonwealth was founded. Those states which pledge to act, then lift not one finger, should then be penalized under a scheme developed and agreed upon by the Commonwealth's membership."

"Outreach to current, former and non-CTO members to address past grievances and establish a framework for partnership moving into the future. There are certainly deeply held grievances with certain parties which need to be addressed, and we may approach this process as an institution and determine the best path forward."

"It is also prudent to ensure that the reforms instituted by East Moreland are fully implemented, utilized and put to swift work to increase the efficiency of the Commonwealth and put it back to the work of its mandate. A plan is only as good as the work which is put into implementing it by all parties involved. We must all do our part, hold ourselves to a higher standard, and work to see the Commonwealth we would wish to exist. Not one of us can sit on the sidelines and expect great things to happen without any measure of effort being put in by ourselves."

"These three points are what we propose to be moved forward upon."

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Lakhzovia

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Lakhzovia
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2019, 11:29:29 AM »
Ambassador Hokh had remained silent for most of the debates, the talking points were the same as at every such meeting on the future of the Commonwealth and he had grown weary of them. Finally he motioned to the Chair for an opportunity to speak.

"The points raised on both sides hold value. Clearly there are issues that need to be resolved, and clearly there is an appetite to do so, yet we always end up back in meetings such as these rehashing it over again.

I must say that Lakhzovia views Rokkenjima's proposal of introducing bi-monthly sessions and a penalty framework for those nations failing to contribute to CTO actions.

I would suggest that a new condition of membership be a commitment by member nations of a stated resource pool to be made available in cases of need, with caveats preventing conflict of interest. This resource pool could be material, or financial, but would ensure that every nation contributes in some form to CTO functions. Failure by a nation to make available the pre-committed resources without valid reason could then result in penalisation such as suspension of certain privileges or punitive fines.

I believe that this could help ameliorate one of the main contentious issues faced by the organisation."

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2019, 01:42:15 PM »
OOC- As we have in the past used the UN funding model.

I'm also struggling to put into an IC context the issues I think we have so I'm going to outline them here and then hope it makes sense IC below.

1. Lack of desire to use the CTO. In the past when it has been used we've seen some users not have regular activity make themselves to central to debates, as a result the discussions just grind to a halt. Meanwhile the actual RP its connected to has two choices, 1. It stops and waits for the CTO which can take the pace out of an RP or 2. The CTO just stomp on the thing straight off. As such people don't want to use it.

2. Not enough people are actually members. The CTO profile is dead, people don't see it having any value because of the problem above and the fact that its dead. Attempts to use it for more day to day stuff like the refugee council etc became pointless and so have and are replicated by more active organisations.

"I believe we are not making any progress. Having meetings every two months serves no purpose unless there is something to discuss. As for why the organisation has not gathered it is because no nation has felt the need to approach it. Take for example the Academica Crisis, East Moreland saw no need to approach the CTO because it could and was dealt with swiftly and effectively by the AKO. The last time the CTO actually was called upon to do something it was during the Nya Aland humanitarian crisis and Achkaerin and East Moreland carried that conversation and followed through. We need a streamlined approach. I suggest a method where a member may post a proposed resolution, this is then given a period of 2 hours (OOC- 48 hours) during which a vote is taken. Should the resolution receive no opposing votes it is put into action. Should just one single vote against be registered than a debate and vote shall take place."

"As for a resource pool I find this a poor idea. Imagine a situation where each nation contributes say a military force as essentially this is what is needed the most. East Moreland send say our 10,000 troops and aircraft. A situation then arises which requires a different package of manpower and equipment, we're then for all purposes screwed. A measure that allows a swift passage of a resolution is key. That will mean forces can begin to mobilise quickly. As for penalising a nation for not making a contribution that too is ridiculous. Imagine a situation where Nya Aland was a member, they promise to commit 10,000 troops and say $1billion in aid packages. They in early May get hit like they did, but then in late May another incident calls for the use of their 10,000 troops. Are we really going to force nations to be punished for not being flexible when their circumstances change. Who is to determine the levels of commitment, obviously a nation of East Moreland's size could commit more to CTO than say Nemerie, but what if King David wished to pre-commit only 1,000 Legionnaires yet the CTO demand 25,000? How do we enforce fines? Who sets them? We are in effect adding another level of bureaucracy rather than streamlining which is what is needed. The solution is not to change the structure of the CTO much, a few tweeks here and there, what is needed is members to actually add value to it by their behaviour. As it stands I will still be recommending to His Majesty that East Moreland terminate its relationship with the CTO. "

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2019, 11:17:43 PM »
OOC - this has gone on long enough

"In light of no further debate on this matter the resolution as laid is now put to vote. Members are reminded that voting aye on this resolution will dissolve the CTO as of the date stipulated in article one, voting nay will keep the CTO in existence as it presently stands but should that occur there would be an expectation that someone has an actual credible alternative that addresses the two issues that present the core problem that this organisation has."

OOC- Voting shall last 48 hours

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
Re: CTO Debate - Dissolution of the CTO (AT VOTE)
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2019, 11:55:59 PM »
“The First Empire votes nay.”

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2019, 06:25:49 AM »
East Moreland votes nay.

Offline CGJ

• Vice Chancellor
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Dartfordia
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2019, 12:47:32 AM »
Dartfordia votes nay.
The Most Honourable Marquess CGJ
Vice Chancellor

Dartfordia: TIOwiki - Politics - Flags - Armed Forces

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2019, 11:37:25 PM »
OOC - In best Bercow voice, but seriously if the CTO exists then people need to actually be using it, it's not like there's an absence of international controversy or incidents for it to be discussing.

"The Aye's to the right zero, the Noe's to the left three, so the Noe's have it. The resolution falls and therefore the CTO is not dissolved."