Author Topic: The Bethesda Tribune  (Read 3383 times)

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Beatrice/Rokkenjima
The Bethesda Tribune
« on: February 25, 2018, 06:18:29 PM »

Lord Protector Authorizes Foreign Sales Of Oil

The Lord Protector made a few announcements on her full return to Somerset.

For the first time since the Fall Lord Protector Evanthe has authorized the Standard Oil Corporation, a subsidiary of Initech, to prepare for foreign sales of Somerset oil. "Since the Fall Somerset has utilized its oil primarily for domestic needs and consumption. Through work with the Standard Oil Corporation we've ensured the stockpile of enough oil which was designed to enable Somerset to weather disruptions to the global supply chain. With production nearing pre-Fall levels I have granted the SOC the authorization to return to the global market, the profits from which will further fuel the reconstruction of Somerset," the Lord Protector said in remarks delivered earlier today.

In a short questions and answers session the Lord Protector addressed a question regarding the Bene Gesserit, stating "My decisions, as well as those of the Imperial Council taken during my tenure as Empress, shall have no bearing on the decision making process of Somerset. Our government will be looking at the available intelligence, ascertaining the scope of the operation which targeted the Kingdom of East Moreland while consulting with Ui Cennselaig to develop a full view of the situation. We will not make this decision without the proper information to base it upon."

On the return of Empress Beatrice and her subsequent warrant of arrest the Lord Protector said "Rokkenjiman affairs are the responsibility of the Rokkenjiman Government. I served as Empress as a duty to my family and native lands, it was always intended to be a temporary arrangement. Certainly there are circumstances for which the Empress will have to answer for, though in the hands of Achkaerin I am confident that justice will be upheld. We all must retain faith in the process and give time for whatever resolution is reached. I do wish the Rokkenjiman People well, and pray for a sensible and prosperous reign for the Empress."

On returning to Somerset: "I'm just glad to be home. We've a bit of an announcement to share, and once the logistics are worked out I'm sure you'll be hearing from me once again in the coming days."
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 04:26:52 PM by Beatrice »

Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of the Independent Order
Empress of the First Empire of Rokkenjima

Factbook of the First Empire of Rokkenjima - Kingdom of Clysperis

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
Re: The Bethesda Tribune
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 08:54:32 AM »

Commonwealth Releases QAMB-Illumic Office Lease Details

The Rokkenjiman lease of QAMB and the Office of Illumic and Tripartite Affairs is structured to provide fair compensation and jobs, according to Goveror McKenna.

Following the Somerset Referendum the Commonwealth entered into negotiations with the First Empire in regards to Queen Adriana Military Base and the Office of Illumic and Tripartite Affairs. Through a comprehensive deal both installations will be leased to the First Empire for र189m ($350m) annually for a period of ten years, with the option to renew should both the Commonwealth and First Empire agree upon the continued existence of QAMB. A majority of those employed in non-military duties at the installations are mandated to be Somerset citizens, while operations conducted from QAMB must receive the sanction of the Commonwealth in situations short of self-defense. The agreement reaffirmed Rokkenjiman respect for limits placed upon vessels based out of QAMB as a further condition for the acceptance of the lease.

"As we've made clear the Rokkenjimans are guests," Governor McKenna said in remarks after the release of details surrounding the lease. "This means that operations which do not have a direct link to self-defense or humanitarian causes are not to be conducted from QAMB. The lease assures this principle will continue to be upheld, that Somerset is respected in its hosting of these facilities, and that Illumic nations ultimately maintain a check on any undue outside influence on our affairs. I trust they'll use their indoor voices and be good neighbours, they know full well the consequences of ignoring the terms upon which we agreed."

"Furthermore, we've ensured that the installations benefit the economy of Somerset through the annual lease as well as mandating majority Somerset employment in non-military roles. These jobs will further supplement the Somerset economy and keep funds and resources more local, with taxes being paid to Somerset. In short, the agreement we have reached is certainly in the interests of Somerset."
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 04:27:15 PM by Beatrice »

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 07:19:51 PM »

Somerset Joins Commonwealth Treaty Organisation

Somerset has signed the Commonwealth Charter with aims to revive the organisation.

The Commonwealth of Somerset added its signature to the Commonwealth Treaty today while noting that the present "state of lethargy and apathy surrounding the CTO remain of great concern to Somerset. With this in mind, Somerset remains faithful that it can work with partners such as East Moreland in resolving the present issues facing the Commonwealth." Governor McKenna cited the Rokkenjiman Presidency over the Commonwealth as "an unfortunate failure, for which I see no explanation or reason for."

Governor McKenna reportedly held a telephone conversation with Vicegerent Euphemia in which he laid forth his expectations. "Somerset elected to join the Commonwealth as the High Council feels it has a duty in regards to the CTO, given Seaforth's historic involvement in the organisation. We cannot stand by and allow the heritage of the Commonwealth to rot, not without attempting to see the reforms put in place by Silverhills have a chance at succeeding." The Governor says that the conversation went well and holds faith that "the convictions relayed to me today will not prove to be hollow. Vicegerent Euphemia shared some encouraging signs with me today, however, should they fall flat the Lord Protector and I are already working on several contingencies, some of which I shall be looking to discuss with East Moreland in the coming days."

In related developments Governor McKenna did not preclude the Commonwealth from pursuing membership in the CMA. He also indicated his desires for further talks to shore up bilateral relations with East Moreland and Ui Cennselaig, while moving ahead with a separate treaty with the Conradh na Náisiún (CNN) as proposed before the formation of the Commonwealth government.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 04:27:35 PM by Beatrice »

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 08:37:28 PM »

Utmen, Lakhzov Communities Invited To Constitutional Summit

A Democratic Confederation representing the many cultures which make up Somerset, while protecting its Celtic identity, is shaping up as Somerset gears up for its Constitutional Summit.

The Office of the Lord High Protector announced that the Utmen and Lakhzov would "most certainly" be represented in the upcoming Constitutional Summit, noting that their input had been limited in the formation of the Commonwealth. "When the Commonwealth was established we were focused on our Peoples, but we forgot that the Utmen and Lakhzov whom moved to Somerset prior to the strife within Lakhzovia, collectively, make up 27% of the population of Caledonia Province. This is an oversight which demands redress, so to our Utmen and Lakhzov citizens I do hope to see your presence at the Constitutional Summit. Together, we will build a nation reflective of the diverse cultures and societies which comprise it."

Lord High Protector Evanthe has proposed a democratic confederation, allowing for each Province to have a degree of autonomous rule within the broader Confederation. Special attention is being paid to the faith of the Kerenists, while considerations for the majority Celtic heritage of Somerset are being drafted in preparation for the Summit. "We may invite the advice and oversight of our Celtic brothers and sisters from abroad, as this is quite the project we are undertaking in building a multicultural Somerset," the Lord Protector shared with the Tribune. "As UC has experience in such incorporations, I look forward to their assistance in these affairs."

In related developments the Civil Administration has prepared a program for Utmen and Lakhzov refugees to apply for citizenship and asylum, easing restrictions in light of "increasing uncertainty and strife within Lakhzovia." Citing "vibrant Utmen and Lakhzov communities within Somerset, we invite those who wish to forge a new life to find that life in Somerset and build a multicultural society with their Somerset brothers. Whereas your voices may not be heard elsewhere, here, we desire your voices, your cultural heritage, for it is a part of what will make Somerset great in the future." The Summit, also being referred to as "Our Summit 2018", is scheduled to take place in the near future and will establish the guiding document and principles of Somerset.

The Tribune has obtained snippets of the initial Draft, which have been authorized for release:

In establishing this Constitution, we declare a political system and civil administration founded upon a social contract that reconciles the rich mosaic of Somerset through a transitional phase from chaos, civil war and destruction, to a new democratic society where civic life and social justice are preserved.

The Democratic Confederation shall not interfere in the domestic affairs of other countries, and it shall safeguard its relations with neighboring states, resolving any conflicts peacefully.

The Constitution incorporates the Mundus Convention of Universal Rights and the Uppsala Convention, as well as other internationally recognized human rights conventions.

Everyone has the right to express their ethnic, cultural, linguistic and gender rights.

Every human being has the inherent right to life. No one within the jurisdiction of the Provinces shall be executed.

Individuals have the inviolable right to participate in political, social, economic and cultural life regardless of gender (or lackthereof).

Individuals are equal in the eyes of the law, regardless of gender (or lack thereof). The Constitution guarantees the effective realization of equality and mandates public institutions to work towards the elimination of gender discrimination.

The Kerenists  religion is a recognized religion and its adherents’ rights to freedom of association and expression is explicitly protected. The protection of Kerenist religious, social and cultural life may be guaranteed through the passage of laws by the Legislative Assembly.

Natural resources, located both above and below ground, are the public wealth of society. Extractive processes, management, licensing and other contractual agreements related to such resources shall be regulated by law.

Beatrice Anselmo