Author Topic: Creative Literature and Art Exposition 2019 (OPEN)  (Read 4366 times)

Offline Admiral Taiwanpenguin

• Regional Power
  • Glory to the Revolution!
    • View Profile
    • Second Imperial Chinese Republic
  • Your Nation: 2nd Imperial Chinese Republic
Creative Literature and Art Exposition 2019 (OPEN)
« on: May 16, 2019, 12:35:29 AM »
(OOC: I intend this to be a sort of IC discussion on international politics and whatnot from citizens' point of view while discussing literary concepts like fantasy genres and so forth that probably would be found in The Other World. Feel free to send writers of your own, do what you will.)

Heinz Shibi lounged in the discourse floors' many parlors, his right hand holding a cup of tea. Mei Jihua sat across from him, her prosthetic hand holding down a sheet of paper as she sketched. Heinz watched her draw, each stroke slowly building up the resemblance to the Eltenbacht Librarius Atheneum, part of it in ruins. Jihua sat back with a satisfied grin, looking over her drawing with pride. Heinz sat up, signing in IDSL[1] "Nicely done. Put in people maybe?" Jihua laughed and signed back, "No. This is the one where everyone dies."
"I see. Where are the animals?"
"I'll draw them in soon enough."
Jihua leaned back over her sketch, then quickly signed, "What will you write next?"
Heinz raised an eyebrow. "You mean after With Friends of Tungsten Wills?", then proceeded to cackle as he realized the title formed a swear word in IDSL. Jihua chuckled, shaking her head.
"Joke aside, I plan to do one on a scenario where Rokkenjima invades."
"Rokkenjima? The world power that was on our backs for freeing our new cousins?"
"That's the one."
Nodding, Jihua set her pencil down and relaxed against the couch.
"Will you put in the SAPS? That seems like a fun concept. Shooting missiles with missiles."
"Probably. do you think any foreigners will attend?"
Jihua shrugged.

The two waited for any foreigners to show up in the discourse floors, chatting and drinking tea for the rest of the while.

(note: Any foreign writers will be directed to the discourse floor. They will be given an identification badge showing what genre they focus in.)

1. Imperial Dragonaii Sign Language, can be signed with one hand
Factbook
SICRD-PAO

By the Dragons and the Emperor-Admiral, Forward!

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Samantra
Re: Creative Literature and Art Exposition 2019 (OPEN)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 11:47:35 AM »
Saeed Behdad was attending the exposition of the first time. His latest Sci-Fi novel, Fall of Djerb turned out to be a hit ranking 4th in the 2018 top selling non-religious books in Tamora and that had earned him a decent amount of money. Sci-Fi was a popular genre in Tamora and readers overwhelmingly preferred novels written by domestic writers because the Tamoran public loved SCI-FI that blended with religion and patriotism. So it was no surprise that Saeed like most Tamoran sci-Fi writers was both a practicing Manist and proud of his country.

Since Saeed was a rising start he had not gone to foreign expositions before but that was about to change. He now had money to attend and the confidence that his work had a wide appeal so he saw this as an opportunity to promote Tamoran culture aboard and also find inspiration for his future novels.

So here he was on the discourse floor, wearing identification badge that listed him as interested in Sci-Fi though he was also interested in alternative history and fantasy. He looked around the floor and saw a Chinese couple standing at a table with the woman sketching something and approached them:

“Peace be upon you! My name is Saeed Behdad, I am a sci-Fi writer from Tamora. May I join you?” He approached Heinz for a handshake while putting his right hand over his heart as he did a very short bow as a greeting to Mei.

He took a quick glance at the sketch and saw a building in ruins but had no idea what it represented since he had almost no knowledge of SICR. Like most Tamorans, he was interested only in his country’s history and had only a marginal interest of the Midaranye region. He had little knowledge of the countries of other continents.

“Is that your parliament building?” he asked trying to start up a conversation. Tamora had no elections of any kind and the idea of a legislature was an alien concept as laws were simply imperial or royal decrees issued by the Emperor, the kings serving under him or lower nobles. However, he knew that many nations in Midaranye had such collective bodies and figured SICR might have one too. 

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 10:42:34 PM »
Reading Saeed's lips, Heinz managed to piece together what he was saying. He shook his hand, motioning him to join them at the table.
"Ah, you are from Tamora? And science fiction? Yes, do join us, we dragonaii love fiction of all genres. And, er, do pardon me if I look confused, I forgot both my hearing aids at home."
Mei politely drew four fingers across her pendant of Etervia in response to Saeed's greeting.
"Welcome. I hope your trip was smooth. And yes, this is the Imperial Electorate's campus. It's a sketch of one of my books. Do pardon my husband, he's completely deaf. Still capable of speech though, and he can read lips, but I'll tell him what you say in sign language."
Factbook
SICRD-PAO

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 05:06:35 PM »
Saeed did not comment on the disability of the two Dragonaii not knowing exactly how their culture treat these aspect so he figured ignoring was the best course.

“The trip was fine, a little long for my taste but I am sure it will be worth it.”

“The Imperial Electorate's campus? I admit I have not heard of it before. I am not very familiar to China’s culture or history. To tell you the truth I became truly aware of China during the recent Ardian crisis when our government issued statements regarding the tensions. I did however spend the entire flight here reading about it. I find some aspects fascinating and intriguing. One thing I do not understand is who do you fear so much in the XXIth century to have your nation so dug in so to speak. “

Saeed also went to grab some tea after the two Dragonaii replied. When he returned he resumed:

“I realized that I might have started out too strong. I tend to do that when I realize the potential for a good chapter in my novel. I didn’t get a chance to ask you. What are you two focused in?” 

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 08:01:44 PM »
Both dragonaii chuckled at his comment, then Mei replied, “That’s good to hear. As for why we’re so paranoid and ‘dug in’, it’s a combination of fears and tradition. We’ve never really trusted many nations to begin with, and now is no different. Right now, I suppose we distrust Rokkenjima the most. They put up such a scuffle during the whole liberation ordeal that frankly, I’m surprised they haven’t attacked yet. As for tradition, well, we really can’t afford to -and still don’t want to- take down the fortifications that remind us of the Civil War. We’ve never really found the desire to tear down the fortifications and tunnels, and I mean, they’ve been here since the 200s, so we really identify and pride ourselves on our military infrastructure.”

After Saeed returned, Heinz replied, “I specialize in alternate history, while Mei writes and draws post-apocalyptic fiction. Particularly the kind where everyone dies.” He looked pointedly in Mei’s direction, who only shrugged and continued drawing.

Factbook
SICRD-PAO

Offline fuwapanzer

• Basically New Zealand
  • this man GUCCI'D down to the SOCKS but need $4 🤨
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Federation of Kaimaya
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 11:03:15 PM »
This was the first time that Simon Werdstann had travelled overseas by himself, most times he was, despite being an almost young adult, accompanied by close friends and/or family. Simon had asked some of his friends interested in literature to join him on his trip to the SICR, but most of them were pre-occupied. One of his friends had even stated that there was “nothing to see in the SICR except tunnels and bunkers”. Oh well, he was just fine being alone. In fact, it was probably a good thing. One of his greatest novels was written when he spent many days (he wasn’t really counting) in his bedroom continuously writing, stopping only for food (cheap cup noodles, always) and toilet breaks. The novel became successful in the nation, and sold many copies. (he also wasn’t counting) The novel gained Simon the reward of Young Derusmian Writer of the Year, things like that. It had also caused a sizeable amount of controversy, (it’s a novel about an alternative universe where Derusmia goes fascist and takes over the world or something) but it still gained attention from the President himself, the good kind of attention. He then met with the President, where they had lunch together. There the President suggested he came to the Literature event happening next door, and there, he was given a plane ticket and a hotel room in the SICR. Anyways, his plane ride was uneventful, his train ride from the airport to the hotel was decent. His hotel room wasn’t extravagant, but was a step higher than the messy bedroom he shared with his brother.  The bus ride from the hotel to the museum was the same as the last one. After getting a badge clipped to his polo shirt, he spotted a group consisting of a Tamoran and two Dragonaii, two of which were writers in alternate history. Simon walked towards the group, and introduced himself. “Greetings! Do you mind if I join you guys? I have no idea on where to go.”

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2019, 12:52:25 AM »
"Ah, a New Derusmian! Welcome, do join us. You seem new to the literary community, so hopefully we all learn something here!" Mei chuckled, pulling a chair for Simon to sit.
Factbook
SICRD-PAO

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2019, 10:14:33 PM »
“Welcome” said  Saeed to the Derusmian. “We were discussing the “passion” the Dragonaii have for defensive structures. I am sure you noticed that by now about them. So we naturally reached the point where we mention Rokkenjima. As a Derusmian you should be familiar with them. Though to be fair they should be thanked for helping kickstart your SANE alliance.

I am not surprised they haven’t attacked. They are weak because they are rich, opulent even and that makes them complacent. They aren’t used to sacrifice and war mandates that. “

After giving the other a chance to reply, he resumed addressing Jihua:

“Well, since you have showed me your drawing, I think it’s only fair I show you what I am currently working on. This is a representation of the Tamoran starships in the next novel I am currently working on. They look a bit like submarines but I have always imagined life on board those ships and even combat to be more similar to submarines so the artist that I work with took that into account.”

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 03:10:44 AM »
Jihua studied the concept, remarking, "Very impressive. I've often found science fiction fascinating, and imagining starships as stellar submersibles seem only logical, especially in the aether. Do you think Mundus will reach that point someday? Extending humanity to across the cosmos, colonizing and discovering?"

Heinz carefully watched Jihua translate what Saeed said, and after Saeed talked to Mei, mentioned, "Pardon my intrusion, but I personally find Rokkenjima to be less than weak. They exercise a large navy, perhaps, but have no spine. Their monarch tosses the lives of her people around like they a child blasting ants with a magnifying glass and that sort of behavior is, at least in terms of the Imperial Republic, the exact way to start a massive civil war. To add on to that, their alliances and indecisive support of nations is so incredibly unpredictable and volatile that they never last long, like the enormous amount of failed organizations and alliances that they have created. I honestly," -He pulled out a well-polished pine case from his bag- "find that they possess a talent for being incredibly condescending. As you said, they aren't used to sacrifice."
Opening the case, Heinz removed an old black-and-white photo. On it was a group of seven Imperial soldiers, all but one with their faces crossed out in red ink, each except the untouched face listing date and name.
"This was my great-great-great grandfather's. These are his brother, sister and four friends beside him. He was the only one who made it home alive to have kids. He fought just so that we dragonaii of this century could live untarnished by communist blood."
He pointed to one of the crossed-out figures, the rifle's butt resting on the ground, standing firm at attention in full autumn gear, despite the rest of soldiers making humorous poses.
"She fought an entire tank regiment with her automatic rifles squad and when they realized they were losing, they strapped demolition charges to sticks and performed a suicide charge to at least delay the advance. Won her a posthumous Jade Sun for bravery and dedication. Rokkenjimans? Pah. Look at their wars, their silly playful 'civil war', then come back and tell us dragonaii what it means to sacrifice oneself."
Setting the photo back in its case, he apologized, saying, "Pardon me for ranting. I simply think very highly of the Imperials during the war."
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 05:22:37 AM by Admiral Taiwanpenguin »
Factbook
SICRD-PAO

Offline fuwapanzer

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 05:18:41 AM »
Simon looked at Saeed’s sketches. “Nice drawing. Forgive me for being so depressing, but I used to be into sci-fi, but then I lost interest because I knew that humanity would never make it that far into the future. I’m a hundred percent certain that the world would probably explode by that time... I guess that answers your question, Mei. Please don’t ask why I’m like this.”

Simon turned his head to Heinz, and spoke,

“As for the Rokkenjimans, I’ll just describe them as my father does, all talk, and no action, all bark, no bite, all foam, no beer, all hammer, no nail, and my personal favorite, all fart, no crap. I could go on forever. Once again, don’t ask why I’m like this. Rokkenjima continually threatens that they’ll destroy us all, but they probably won’t.”

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2019, 08:31:19 PM »
“I am certain that Tamora will reach that point someday. One thousand year ago my ancestors couldn’t even dream of expanding till the sea of Kyne. Centuries went and people only dreamt of a Tamora that will reach the sea. But look at us now, it happened.

It the same with space, people don’t think we can do it. But we will, we will bring the word of the Prophet to the stars. I don’t know when and I certainly don’t know how but we will get there.”

Hearing the Dragonaii and the Derusmians expressing such high level of dislike of the Rokkonjimans surprised Saeed. He was expecting some antipathy but not at this level especially since the Rokkenjimans hadn’t stopped all trade and all relations with SICR and New Derumsia like they did with Tamora. Saeed figured that living that close to Rokkenjima must be the reason for this these feelings, not that he minded of course. He was glad that those at the tables were on the same page.

“The Rokkenjimans would make excellent villains in novels “ he said joking.

“Impressive” said  Saeed at the description of the Dragonaii that fought against the communists.

“Since you rightfully hate the communists, what is your opinion on the Soviet government of Kaitaine and Rodina if you don’t mind me asking?”

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2019, 01:09:34 AM »
Mei and Heinz both laughed, Mei remarking, "That they would."

Heinz sat up in his chair, folding his hands.

"To be fair? I wish they were gone. Any communist cannot possibly bear good intentions. Their seats are built upon the backs of their own people, their machines oiled by blood, and power from corruption and conspiracy. The best communist is a repentant one. Kaitaine is an example of your average communist nation: brutal, a dictatorship, and more or less distasteful."
Factbook
SICRD-PAO

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2019, 09:49:57 PM »
So let me ask you this said Saeed  addressing both the Dragonaii and the Derusmian:

“If you were Emperor of your country, would you do anything so stop the communists of Rodina and Kaitaine or assume they are not worth the trouble since they are too far away?”

Offline fuwapanzer

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2019, 12:59:05 AM »
“I reckon they’re not worth the trouble. The plane trip would be too expensive. Our nation’s already doing that anyways.”