Author Topic: Tarrenburg Castle Summit  (Read 7003 times)

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
Re: Tarrenburg Castle Summit
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2020, 09:37:10 PM »
"Now that we've resolved the matter of the Security Council and the veto." Serenity said once the Tamoran's had left "I'd like to suggest we turn our attention to the charter itself and getting parts of this worked out. I'd like to begin by proposing the following in terms of the content of the sections marked as goals and membership by our hosts."

Chapter I - Goals and Definitions

Article 1: This Charter hereby establishes a league of nations, to be named the [name to be decided] and herein called the League.

Article 2: The purposes of the League are (1) to maintain peace in the world; (2) to secure and develop amicable relations between its Members; (3) to achieve international cooperation toward the continued advancement of better conditions for humankind; and (4) to act as a force for international harmony in pursuit of these ends.

Article 3: Pursuant to the purposes laid out in the preceding article, each Member of the League shall commit (1) to treat as equal all other nations, whether Members of the League or not; (2) to fulfill in good faith all obligations entered into through this Charter and any subsidiary treaties which may follow; (3) to settle international disputes by peaceful means; and (4) avoid to the best of their ability the use or threat of force against other nations.

Article 4: Pursuant to the purposes laid out in Article 2 of this Charter, the League shall take appropriate action within the confines of this Charter to ensure the maintenance of peace in the worldwide community.

Article 5: The League shall have no authority over the internal affairs of its Members beyond what is (a) explicitly granted under the terms of this Charter or (b) surrendered voluntarily by any individual Member.

Article 6: Nothing within Article 5 shall preclude the ability of the League to debate matters of its choosing.

"The addition of article six is my proposed change to the section on goals simply because while I'm sure we all agree that this organisation should not be able to compel a member state to change a law it should not be prevented from debating the issue concerned, the point of article six is to make clear that the League can debate that which it chooses without fear of running afoul of article five. Now on the matter of membership I believe the approach's of both the Council of Albion and Ardian Assembly may serve us best here so I'd like to suggest the following:

Chapter II - Membership

Article 7: Membership of the League of Nations is open to all sovereign nations that sign this charter.

Article 8: Should a member of the League oppose the admission of a nation within 48 hours of the charter being signed then there shall be a debate in the General Assembly on the matter, in which the applicant nation may be permitted to debate, a majority vote at the end of the debate will determine the outcome.

Article 9: The General Assembly shall be entitled by a resolution achieving a two thirds majority of those nations voting to suspend or revoke a member nations membership status within the League.

Article 10: A member nation may leave the League with 30 days notice.

OOC - little difficult to explain my IC reasoning on the membership so I'll attempt to word it OOCly basically we would reasonably be expected as a membership to vote on all additions to the membership, this isn't ICly practical because a) we could have numerous debates on membership matters and b) most of those debates would be non-existent because there are no grounds for objection so what I'm attempting to suggest here is a system where we are open to everyone membership wise but in the event of something like the Borlanders, Theocracy of Kaitaine, any of the Merina's except the government or the Confederacy of Clysperis attempting to join there exists a mechanism to prevent that.

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Beatrice/Rokkenjima
Re: Tarrenburg Castle Summit
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2020, 03:18:53 AM »
"The proposals of the Crown Princess are solid additions which I believe should be included without any controversy," Evanthe said.

With the withdrawal of the Tamoran delegation Pharaoh Akasha had one less friend in the room. Her vote against a veto likely came as a surprise to her Tamoran friends, however, the decision was not taken lightly. With the world moving toward a defined mark between the Orient and the Occident the organisation would become bogged down by proposals submitted which would ultimately be veto'd: the League would be utterly useless, and the Pharaoh had no patience for useless things.

"I see nothing inherently wrong with what has been brought forth, though I would encourage us all to always act with respect to the sovereignty of our neighbours in the international community. The nations we lead all represent different cultures, each with different values and priorities. To judge a situation within my Kingdom by, say, the values and standards of the Kingdom of Tytor, would be inappropriate and would make membership in this League most detrimental to the Kingdom. We must encourage a vibrant world, filled with unique cultures, not one which is a homogenous collective subservient to the Occidental powers."

Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of the Independent Order
Empress of the First Empire of Rokkenjima

Factbook of the First Empire of Rokkenjima - Kingdom of Clysperis