Author Topic: The Three Horsemen  (Read 2715 times)

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Mktvartvelo (primary nation)
The Three Horsemen
« on: August 01, 2021, 08:24:13 PM »
Lake Escarion, Ohara Island

“That’s not fair!”, Eya said.

“You must understand”, Ocha’a tried to argue, “Your father and I, we haven’t another option. Things are not going well lately”.

"You promised me that you were going to help me", Eya argued. "And now, you have sent the same amount to Ebalé!".

"We said that we were going to do all we could", Oyono intervened. "However, things have changed. Your brother needs that money".

"Don't you think that you have already helped him enough?", Eya replied, while her mother was trying to hold her back. "What about me? Am I going to remain here?".

"Your brother is the future of our family", Oyono argued, "whatever you understand it or not. And now let me rest, I have to leave this midnight".

"I do not wish to get trapped here for long", Eya complained. "Liza is living in Enmedyè and she told me she know some place where I could stay for a while".

"There is no way that we will allow you to move there alone!", Ocha'a interrupted her.

"You should prepare to get marry soon", Oyono said, "you are already old enough after all".

"Now", he added before she had time to reply, "go back to the shop, clients may be waiting".

"Sure...", an annoyed Eya replied.

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
Re: The Three Horsemen
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2021, 10:56:18 PM »

Djabidjan City

"Good morning", Tieu said as soon as he was announced.

"Welcome", Min replied, invited Deputy First Secretary Tieu to sit down. "How are you doing?".

"I'm fine, thank you", Tieu replied. "I hope you are not too busy".

"We are", Min answered. "We have many things to do until the Premier returns from Hyeoul tonight".

"I see", Tieu replied. "We are very busy in the Secretariat as well. I actually just came from visiting Major Arendse from the State Department".

"Oh?", Min asked, "...the State Department?".

"Yes", Tieu, "we are probably organizing an extraordinary congress soon, and although it was not officially announced yet, we have to work out the security".

"Ah, yes", Min replied without much interest. "I understand".

"Are there news from the Ministry...", Tieu inquired, "if I can ask?".

"Nothing special I'd say", Min replied. "I guess the Premier wants to advance already initiated projects before his candidacy is announced soon. After all, it is not a long time until November".

"That's true", Tieu replied. "Do you know if he is officially working with Minister Dan?".

"Minister Dan", Min asked. "What do you mean?".

"As you know", Tieu explained, "he is the second most senior member of the government. I could work along him when I joined the Ministry of State Administration. However, I was never close to him. But we heard rumours that his has ambitions to become Premier or even the party leadership, as he has many closer associates and acquaintances from his time on the government, of course. Obviously, I tell you this confidentiality".

"I'm not surprised...", Min replied, "...but I haven't heard about it".

"I see!", Tieu replied. "I'm surprised to hear that. But who knows. Obviously, Minister Dan was previously First Secretary for almost a decade, as you may know, so they may operate differently. Not sure if such move can be successful, but I guess why he would be doing that".

"Uhm...", Min simply added, not sure if he was losing the plot.

"I always felt that Presidency is not just an executive position, but a symbolical one, as head of the nation, after all", Tieu explained. "For the unity of the nation and social cohesion, I feel it would be natural that the presidency is under a member of the larger social group. Not as a form of social hiearchy, of course, but as a symbol of the relations between the groups and nationalities that form our nation. This shouldn't apply to the rest of the government, of course, where positions should be established in a more rational way, considering both social cohesion and merit, of course".

"That's...", Min replied, "...something that I have always thought, indeed. Although something that it may not be polite to say loudly".

"I understand", Tieu said with a smile. "But giving the current circumstances, stability should be a priority".

"By the way", Tieu continued, "what to do you plan about the coming festivity?".

"Not sure", Min asked, surprised. "Why?".

"Oh", Tieu replied, "it's just that, as you may understand, tough and busy weeks may come soon. I recommend you to take a few free days, if that would be possible. Maybe relaxing one or two days in Hyeoul. Just as an advice, of course".

"Ah, I see", Min replied. "I may consider it...thanks, Deputy First Secretary".

"It seems it's getting late and there are few calls I'll need to do", Tieu added. "I may see you soon. Good luck". Min saw Tieu leaving the office, without moving from his chair and without saying anything.

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 09:13:59 PM »

Djabidjan City

"Let's move, it's getting late", Yohannes said to the chauffeur.

"Yes, sir", Thanh replied. "It's getting dark. Are we going directly to your home?".

"I need to go to my sister's home, in Bahmum District", Yohannes answered.

"Yes, I know", Thanh replied. "We can arrive soon...", he added as he was interrupted by a huge noise, which forced him to try to control the car he was driving as much as possible.

"That sounded serious...", Yohannes said.

"Indeed, sir...", Thanh replied. "It looks like it came not too far from here. Maybe nearby the western district".

"Yes, I guess so...", Yohannes replied. "What if we do a small stop in the Surveillance Center, just to be sure before we continue, if you don't mind?", he asked while slowly caressing his own knuckles.

"No, sir", Thahn replied, while slowly changing the direction of the car. "I completely understand".

'This may be too much', Tieu thought, while he finished his cigar, 'what a mess'.

He left the phone to ring a few seconds more, until he decided to answer it. "Hello? Ah, it's you, Muong".

"Yes, I just saw it on TV....No, I was not able to speak with Thi Cam", he replied.

"Try to calm down, I can barely understand you...", he added.

"Yes, a tragedy...it certainly looks so", Tieu replied. "Listen, I'll call the Ministry and the White Tower security, they should know what's really going on. As we don't know right now what's going and if the situation is safe".

"Yes, yes...", Tieu added, slightly losing his patience. "When I am informed, I'll go to the nearby hospital. As soon as I can, I'll call you back".

"Indeed, I am as concerned as you are, indeed. But let's only to hope for the best. I'll call you later, Muong", he added before hanging up the phone, with a rather calm voice.

Hyeoul, central Djabidjan

"Oh my god", Hye-su said, while watching the live report on the TV. "This is a awful".

"Ah, yes", Min replied. "This looks...serious", he added.

"Wait", Hye-sud continued, "isn't this the event Soo-ah asked if we had been invited? They must be there! I need...", she said while looking for something inside in her purse".

"It's likely futile", Min replied. "The lines are likely overloaded. It's likely better if we wait a few minutes".

"Anyway, Soo-ah can't never miss anything", he added, almost whispering, "like a fly around the honey. Maybe it served her well for once...".

"How so?", Hye-su asked. "Only thinking we could be if you hadn't suddenly decided...".

"Why do you always need to overreact in every situation?", Min complained. "Right now, we can't make any difference from here, after all".

"I believed Deputy First Secretary Tieu mentioned me that he had to work until late this evening...", he added, "he may know what's going on. I'll call him in five minutes".

"I need a drink...", Hye-su simply replied.

"Not a bad idea", Min replied. "I'll let you know when I have any information. Don't disturb until then".

'How is it possible?', Min wondered while he was approaching his home office. 'May he be gone too. after all?'

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2021, 10:43:25 PM »

Pwenvèt Military Hospital, Djabidjan City

"Good morning, Deputy First Secretary, I did not expect your visit...", Hong Tae-woo said. "I was told about what happened...My most sincere condolences...", he added.

"Thank you", Deputy First Secretary Tieu replied, without barely changing his expression. "How are you doing today?".

"I'm fine I guess", Hong answered. "At least, considering the circumstances. I'll be getting the discharge this afternoon".

"It would be good to take a few days for relax a bit", Tieu said. "However, unfortunately we may not have too much time".

"In the current situation", Tieu continue, softly placing his right hand on Hong's shoulder, "we have important things to do. Everything may be a risk".

"Yes...", Hong replied. "I understand, of course".

"We'll have a meeting in a few days", Tieu said. "However, I don't think we should rush toward a wrong decision. More than ever, we need to act wisely".

"I count on you", Tieu said. "I leave you as you'd like to rest a bit. At a personal level, I'm going to be quite busy in the next hours, as you may understand".

"Yes, of course, Deputy First Secretary...", Hong replied. "I'll keep you informed as soon I came back to the office".

"By the way", Tieu added before leaving, "I'll send you some information I may need before the meeting. If you can, reply me as soon as it is possible. You can send it directly to the Secretariat".

"No problem", Hong replied. "I'll do what I can".

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2021, 11:14:01 PM »

Djabidjan City

"Have you been here for long?", Yohannes asked as soon as he entered the private lounge.

"A few hours", Tieu answered. "I can here when I new to disconnect a bit. This place belongs to my wife's cousin".

"Ah, I see", Yohannes replied, not sure what to add.

"Don't you think that was too much?", Tieu suddenly asked.

"I'm not sure what you are talking about...Deputy First Secretary", Yohannes answered.

"I was not born yesterday", Tieu coldly replied. "If you were being sincere, then you should be immediately fired, I'd say".

"Nevermind", Tieu continued, "what is done is done, so they say. But our country may be currently on the verge. We need to solve this situation soon".

"That's understandable, of course", Yohannes replied.

"How many people knows it?", Tieu asked. "You shouldn't trust anyone, did you hear me? Just a mistake and we would be worse than in the beginning, after all".

"You find whoever was behind this, you must understand", Tieu continued. "It's required to move without flaws, to find those poor souls by any means necessary".

"Of course, I will be working on that. No mistakes will be allowed", Yohannes replied. "However, the situation is not easy. As Vice Chairman, I have some obstacles. My hands are tie up regarding certain moves".

"I won't help you on that", Tieu said. "It's not an option. Just proceed smoothly as you can. I'll be the next weeks rather busy. It's not going to be easy so I'm not going to have time to do much else".

"So I wouldn't enjoy that anything else crumble while we work it out this situation", Tieu added.

"That's fair", Yohannes replied. "Give me a few days and it's done".

"I hope that's the case", Tieu said. "Let's hope that becomes a reality next time we may coincide".

"Anyway", Tieu added., would you like a drink?".

"No, thanks", Yohannes answered. "I need to return to the State Department".

"Alright", Tieu said, "I must return soon as well, there are some paperwork I need to finish back home".

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2021, 09:53:46 PM »

State Department of Military Information headquarters

"I have good news", Yohannes.

"Really?",  Jang Han-woo asked.

"Indeed", Yohannes answered. "I was confirmed that I will get the promotion, as soon as we solve the main case we have in our hands".

"Congratulations, sir", Jang replied. "Although not entirely sure if that's good news right now".

"Why not?", Yohannes. "Oh, don't worry. I'm already working to remove any obstacles. We're safe. They won't risk to disturb us giving the circumstances. I feel they may be too nervous".

"That's understable", Jang replied.

"Yes, sure", Yohannes said, with a more serious expression. "You did well. We may have a promising future on our hands. I'm pleasantly surprised but I appreciate your decision. That old man was too accomodating. We needed a change of direction".

"Anyway", Yohannes added, "as soon as I am confirmed as Chairman, this chair", he said while strongly holding his own chair, "will be yours".

"Oh", Jang replied, "it will be a honour for me if that was the case...However, how is that possible? I thought the next National Executive Committee meeting was not until...".

"I had assurances that the decision was already taken", Yohannes interrupted him. "There is going to be an agreement between the Secretariat and what remains of the cabinet. The want to assure that the key positions are filled as soon as possible. Then a new leadership will be announced before the election".

"You know", Yohannes continued, "politics as usual. We have to make sure to clean our house before that happens".

"Yes, sure", a slightly surprised Jang simply said.

"Before that, however", Yohannes added, "I have an important task for you. It is essential that no mistake is made. A stupid move and this could be our end".

"I understand, sir", Jang replied. "What's about?".

"It will be your goodbye from the bridage", Yohannes said. "You'll need to go to Albion. I'll give you the details later. I have a meeting in the White Tower".

"I understand", Jang replied. "I'll do my best".

"I'm sure about that", Yohannes replied, while standing up and looking for his waistcoat.

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2021, 08:42:39 PM »

Djabidjan City

"I feel things are going too slowly", Min said.

"You must be patient", Tieu replied. "We'll have time to prepare now".

"Nothing is certain", Min argued. "So falling to make a move may leave us in a worse position, after all".

"Indeed", Tieu replied, "but the wrong move would leave us in a rather weak position".

"It is better that way", Tieu continued, "everything is open right now. We have time to manoeuvre in the meantime".

"I have no patience for that", Min replied. "They may recover in a month, you may face more opposition then".

"If we hadn't postponed the decision", Tieu replied, "they would have proposed Hwang as president. For some strange reason, for what I could tell, former Han's associates are keen of him. Even if it was temporary decision, it would have been really difficult to prepare the terrain under a new presidency".

"Just give us time", Tieu continued, "I hope that along Hong, we could be able to build a majority in both the Council and the Committee, while we try to gain a few extra allies in our task".

"Do you really trust him?", Min asked.

"I feel he's convinced on the situation", Tieu answered. "Right now, we have no option. In the meantime, you better spread your influence in the White Tower, if you are willing to have an option in October".

"I know", an evaside Min replied. "It has become a bit annoying right now, but I don't think it will be a huge challenge so far".

"I can only hope you're right", Tieu replied.

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 11:06:00 PM »

State Department of Military Information headquarters

"Gentlemen", Yohannes told to a bunch of officers, "the security of the nation is in your own hands".

"I know you know this very well and that you are prepared for such a task", he continued. "I have been informed that our department has the confidence of the government. However, that trust must be built. If we fail to produce results, that trust may fade away. I know that you are aware on what's really on play. For that task, any means may be required. Whatever it costs, hunt the culprits down and extract any information from the suspects, by any means necessary. You'll be rewarded for your efforts".

"Yes, sir!", several voices were heard.

"Now", Yohannes added, "you can leave to start your work. I'll follow your results closely".

All officers and officials in the meeting immediately left the room. All except one, Minh Vu.

"I have received information that the last mission in Hyeoul was a success and the objective was successfully neutralized".

"Excellent", Yohannes said.

"However", Minh Vu continued, "I'm afraid that we realized that something went wrong...We could only find four corpses, the fifth one is missing. He has not returned to the barracks or his own home, so I immediately ordered a search".

"You better find him", a visibly annoyed Yohannes replied. "It must be a priority right now".

"I understand, sir", Minh Vu replied. "I'll be personally involved".

"I count with you...", Yohannes replied. "Better if you find him immediately".

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2021, 05:54:15 PM »
Lake Escarion, Ohara Island

"Move! Move!", Bek ordered.

"Any resistance will be futile and you may pay a unnecessary price!", Choon-he warned. "Anyone affected will be allowed to return to your houses as soon as it is possible. Nobody will be left behind if you cooperate with us".

"Where are they?", Choon-he asked back to his men.

"They are in the canteen, sir", a young officer said.

"Alright, let's move", Choon-he said. "Let's finish with this immediately".

They advanced through the tiny island, while the inhabitants were being transferred to the fishing boats and the search teams started their work while dismantling the old and weak doors and walls.

"This is the place, sir", Cibuike said. Choon-he could observe that the place had better walls that the other buildings, although he still found it a rusty and gloomy place, like the mess hall of an old prison.

"Here you have the Onyeku family", Bek told Choon-he.

He observed the couple, man in his 50s with his slightly younger wife, and what was likely their little daughter. Choon-he could easily see some bruises on the men's face, although it did not change his impression.

"Let me check the papers", Choon-he said, "beside the son, there is also another daughter, right?".

"That's right", Bek answered.

"I see", Choon-he replied. "I'm sorry about this affair", he continued looking to the couple, particularly the husband, "I can understand that this situation is not pleasant, but we're dealing with very serious issues lately. I hope to count with your sincere cooperation, for the best of your family, of course".

The man remained silent. "Where is your son, Ebalé Onyeku? We must find him to assure his safety, you must understand".

"He doesn't live with us anymore...", the woman started to said, until he felt his husband's hand peacefully but disapprovingly holding her writ.

"But I realize you must any way to contact with him, beyond his own address", Choon-he replied.

"You are only complicating your life", Bek intervened, "and your family's future, if you reject to cooperate. You must understand that we can send you immediately to jail, you and your neighbors. We're actually doing you a favour".

"That's right", Choon-he said. "But let's not rush a decision. Although you must understand that we haven't much time".

"Our son is certainly innocent", Ocha'a said, "but our daughter has nothing to do with whatever you have in mind!".

"I hope you are right, indeed", Choon-he replied. "That's why we need your cooperation. It's better if you don't play with your children's lives. We'll find them, sooner or later, after all. But it's better for them if we are able to talk with them, without any obstacle".

This time, the woman did not reply, but she kept silence, with her head looking down and covered by her own hands.

"That's right", Choon-he said, after a silence of a few seconds. "I realize you may be a bit overwhelmed about the current situation. It's only natural. We'll give you a bit of time, although not that much, so you can reconsider you options right now. And of course, I can understand that you can't afford a disruption of your professional life. But that should be last of your worryings right now".

"You'll be given a final chance", Choon-he continued. "You're going to be sent to the Okujida survillance center, for a temporary resettlement. I hope you'll be able to reconsider you options, for the well-being of you and your family, your children included...".

"Let's go", he told to Bek. "Take them to Okujida, with the rest of them, and continue the search. I'll go back to Jangju, let me know if there are any results".

"Yes, sir", Bek replied. "And you, start moving, don't waste our patience", he ordered the distressed family.

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2021, 01:50:37 PM »

Djabidjan City

"Welcome, Minister Min", Tieu said. "How is everything going?".

"It's fine, I assume",  Min Tae-joon said, while looking suspiciously at the man standing next to one of the corners of the table.

"I believe you already know Hong Tae-woo, is that right?", Tieu asked.

"I believe so...", Min simply replied.

"Yes, of course", Hong Tae-woo said. "But it's a pleasure to meet you again, Minister Min".

"As you can imagine", Tieu explained, "we are increasingly busy preparing the coming congress. Although the most difficult part is already prepared, obviously, we are constantly a large number of petitions and questions that we are forced to address as soon as it is possible".

"I understand", replied Min, who did not seem too interested about that information.

"Hong", Tieu said, "do you mind leaving us alone a few minutes? There is a petition from the Office of the Prime Minister that Mr. Min is helping me to coordinate".

"Of course not, Deputy Secretary!, Hong Tae-woon replied. "I think I'll have a coffee now...It was a pleasure to see you again, Minister Min".

"Perfect", Tieu replied, while Min simply nodded as Hong left the room.

"Do you really trust him?", Min asked.

"Ah, do you mean Hong?", a slighly surprised Tieu asked. "He may not be the most smart mind in our bunch", he explained, "but he's quite diligent and hard-working to save me a lot of tiresome work".

"I hope you are not being absorbed too much about the event", Min said with an increasingly serious and grave tone. "I feel something is moving under the shadows. I can feel it in the State Council, particularly since Nang was officialized as Prime Minister...".

"It's natural that the situation is tense", Tieu replied, "and that everyone is trying to play their own cards in a situation like this. But you should focus on the most important right now, as I told you. Maybe you are also seeing what it is not there after looking too much where there is nothing at all".

"I'd be more confident about you and your plans if you told me more things in advance...", Min replied, visibly losing his patience.

"What do you mean?", Tieu asked. "There are certain things that are changing and moving too quickly. Sometimes we just need to make a decision in the moment, if we don't want to lose our moment".

"It's not helpful to feel the last one who was informed just before it was announced", Min complained. "Did you really need to bring back that elephant to head the assembly?"

"I guess you mean  Shin Yong-Nam....", a pensive Tieu replied. "Well, he is one of the most senior members of the assembly, it was a natural choice...besides, he was once close to the President and Premier Han's right hand for a while. We certainly need someone who has that kind of information. We need to mobilize late Premier Han's supporters on our favour if we want to be successful".

"I am mostly concerned that you may have awaken another rival", an unconvinced Min replied.

"Don't worry", Tieu argued, "I'm putting most of my efforts right now to avoid that".

"Whatever", Min simply replied. "By the way, I heard that the Ministry of Defense is increasingly suspicious about the response following the attack. It should have been closed by now".

"That's right", Tieu replied. "I can try to talk with Arendse as soon I have more free time".

"I may do it myself", Min said. "I may need to visit the State Department anyway as I'll be probably entrusted to coordinate the security with the Ministry of Defense and the State Department".

"Excellent...", Tieu replied. "I may need to talk to him anyway, but let me know your impression as soon as you meet him. I can barely check him in the last weeks".

"I understand", Min replied. "I have to come back now. We'll meet soon, I have some question about the congress".

"No problem", Tieu replied with a smile. "Everything will be ready by then, I'm convinced".

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2021, 02:31:39 AM »

Djabidjan City, Nouvo Jarden district

"I see you finally arrived", Seo Hye-rim, who did not even bother to stand up, said.

"Yes...I'm sorry, Editor Seo", Won replied. "Was your meeting alright?", she inquired.

"With the minister?", Seo answered. "Sure. Why do you ask?".

"Ah...just curious", Won replied.

"Did you come by train, right?", Seo asked. "Couldn't you leave the backpack somewhere else?".

"Yes...", Won answered. "I had barely time to stop in Jangju, I'm afraid...". Before she could end the sentence, a young woman approached them.

"You must be Mrs. Won from the Times, I guess?", the woman said. "President Maeda is waiting you".

"Ah, thanks", Seo replied. "Let's move", she told to Won.

"Welcome", Maeda said, who was already waiting, leaning her back on the main table.  Seo and Won entered to Maeda's office. Won politely bowed her head as they entered, although her first reaction was rather to arch her eyebrows. The office was certainly huge, more like a hall, one could say, which fine and large sofas on parallel in front of the main table.

"Thank you, Chairman", Seo replied.

"You must be Won Kyung-hwa, isn't that right?", Maeda asked. "I precisely received yesterday a call from the White Tower for your article on the martial law", she added with a smile.

"You can sit down, please", Maeda continued, as Won barely reacted. "Nothing serious, just a business call".

"I understand", Seo replied. "I can't deny the article received some attention. Although it is not that it revealed anything controversial, I'd say, even if it was a good summary of course".

"I guess that's the case", Won added, not willing to contradict her boss in front of the owner of ther company".

"To be completely honest, I just read diagonally, as people said", Maeda replied. "It's not the issue why you are here. But I'm not being a very host I'm afraid. Wouldn't you like a drink, maybe?".

"No, thanks", Seo answered.

"It's not asking too much", Won timidly but politely asked, "I wouldn't mind to have a glass of water, please. I hadn't barely time to stop at the hotel...".

"Of course", Maeda replied. "I understand! Let me communicate with Ahunna".

"So what's this article, you were preparing?", Maeda continued, once the young woman left and after a few minutes of rather trivial conversation.

"Well, it's just some information that Won was offered", Seo replied before Won had time to answered. "But right now, it has no content or form enough to be published by the newspaper".

"That's right...", Won added, "we'd need to check a few things before".

"What relation has that information with the theatre attack and how trustworthy is that source?", Maeda inquiried, directly looking at Won.

"Well", Won replied, "it's difficult to say. It is more related to the security of the theatre than the investigation or the causes of the attack, I'd say. Details that may be important, of course, although not definitive".

"My feeling was that it may leave us exposed", Seo intervened, "if the issue shouldn't end as promising as it may seen".

"About the sources...", Won continued. "Well, Chairman Maeda, it is someone that I know from my previous job at Peyinala...It's not someone that it is important, of course. He doesn't seem to know much personally, but he offered me to contact with someone who may give us some information. But the person who contacted me was certainly helpful in the past".

"I can see", Maeda said. "It doesn't sound much right now".

"It is not something important, probably..." Won replied. "It's difficult to say. But, of course, I wouldn't like to give a wrong step that may damage our...your newspaper. But I don't think this is some kind of trap against us. It wouldn't make much sense through the channel and person they did...But I also understand that given the theatre attack affect you personally...".

"It has nothing to do with my personal situation", Maeda said, this time with a much more serious expression. "It's an important issue, and the public would be certainly interested into know the truth...In any case, and you're right it may be not such a big issue, others will end publishing it. It would stupid to leave them do it, isn't it? Not that I have experience in your profession, of course, but that's my business opinion...".

"No, you're right...", Seo replied. "We'll do what we can".

"Very well", Maeda replied. "How much time do you need?", she asked Won again.

"I guess not a long time", Won replied, "after I received proper information and I can verify it".

"Alright", Maeda said. "I'm satisfied with your confidence", she added smiling again.

"I'll leave this in your hands", she continued, this time looking directly to Seo. "I was mostly curious, of course, I'm not trying to interfere with your job".

"No...", Seo replied, "it's completely understandable".

"Alright", Maeda added, standing up from her seat. "Let me know if this advance or not".

"And I guess you are very busy these days with the coming congress in Hyeoul", Maeda said, as they accompanied them toward the door.

"Yes, that's right", Seo replied. "We're quite busy our days. Our offices are mostly empty as consequence. But we have been publishing a five-page special since this Monday".

"I can understand", Maeda said. "Given the importance of the issue we discussed today, you could give her a few days free here. There is no need to rush to another travel I guess".

"You are invited to stay at our hotel here", Maeda told Won. "It will be free, don't worry. I'll tell Ahunna that contact you in a few minutes".

"I had work to do...", Won replied, surprised but at the same time unsure if she should accept it or not. "It's very kind, Chairman Maeda".

"No worries", Maeda assured. "I wish you good luck with your investigation. I'll await your success".

"Yes, thank you", Seo replied, bowing respectfully as she and Won were leaving the room.

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2021, 12:20:40 AM »

Jangju Free Cathedral, Office of the Archbishop

"Congratulations for your election", Nke Abuo Amamihe said as soon as General Secretary Tieu was introduced.

"Thank you, Your Excellency",  Tieu replied.

"Welcome", Amamihe continued. "Excuse me I was not able to receive you before. But we have been quite busy lately...I imagine that you have been too".

"Of course, Your Execellency", Tieu replied. "After the election, I hope that we can imporve our communications".

"I wish so!", Amamihe replied. "These have been quite noisy and tragic days for all, our nation needs some calm and hard work for sure, so everything can return to normal once again. Of course, my condolences as your personal situation knew very well that. I must have been difficult for you to reconcile both your grieving personal being and your duties".

"Of course", Tieu answered. "I did my best. As you said...only through hard work and dedication we can move forward. That likely applies both personally and collectivelly. It's better to keep ourselves with someone productive".

"That's fine", Amamihe replied, "if it works for you, of course. Maybe you will be able to remove some pressure from your shoulders in the coming weeks".

"We'll see", Tieu replied. "But I rather try to focus on the present. That's my role".

"I can understand", Amamihe said. "I haven't been following the campaign with detail, of course, as we have been dealing with important projects in the last weeks, which required my attention, but I hope it gives a satisfactory result for our nation. In circumstances like theses, stability is required, I feel it is not the time for sudden changes".

"I understand we are all facing a complicated and busy agenda lately", Tieu replied, "although I feel that your, our Church, has not strongly signaling what it is a risk in decision like these, compared to the past".

"With all due respect your work", Amamihe replied, "I did not feel it was necessary...or rather, it was certainly out of place regarding the general situation our nation has recently experienced. We certainly called to participate in the election, as it was our civic duty, as a message toward stability and order. I'm certain that people understand that, particularly the true believers, and they will make the right and balanced decision".

"I am certain that will be the case", Tieu said, "but a bit more of clearity would be certainly more helpful".

"In any case", Tieu continued after a few seconds of silence, "I was not hear merely to comment on political issues, of course. We would like to rebuild our relation and trust after these complicated months".

"You should know that the our church will be always open to rebuild those bridges and improve our communication", Amamihe replied. "There are certain projects, particularly here, in Jangju, that we have in mind, and which have been more complicated than we expected...I hope to have your understanding, and the cooperation of the next government".

"I doubt it will be something that we can't work it out, Your Excellency", Tieu replied. "Let me know, and I'll do whatever it's on my hands".

"Excellent, General Secretary", Amamihe replied. "Let's hope we can build together a better future for our people. Good luck in these final days".

"Thank you, Your Excellency".

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2021, 08:11:33 PM »

City of Balona

Won waited for almost half a hour and wondered if her travel had been in vain. She started to wonder if Seo would be annoyed about a third empty travel in two weeks. However, her own thoughts were suddenly interrupted when her mobile phone suddenly rang.

"Mrs. Won, I suppose?", a young woman asked in front of her, almost before she was able to reply.

"Yes...sure", Won answered. "Who are you?".

"If you are still interested with the meeting", the woman replied, "you can come with me. But let's move quickly, if you don't mind". As she spoke, her head turned right and left several times.

They left the square in front of the local train station and walked for about ten minutes. "It's not to far from here", the young woman said.

They turned left, approaching a clearly visible impoverish neighborhood, which narrow streets barely allowed a person to go through. Suddenly, the woman stopped and turned his head back to Won.

"It's not far from here", she explained. "But I was told that you should turn your phone off and remove the battery. Sorry, but those are the conditions".

"Ah, sure...", Won replied, looking on her bag.

After another five minutes walking, they finally arrived. The house was on the top on a small hill, which was completely covered by poorly built houses. It was the type of housing from the mid-1960s, before the first National Development Program established by the Social Republic of Djabidjan, Won thought.

Another woman opened the door. "Hello...", she simply said. Won found that the apartment did actually look rather decent from inside, even if it wasn't too big. She wondered if the two women were relatives, as they seemed of the same age, even if they do not look exactly alike.

"Ki-t...", the first woman intervened, "he's waiting in the guests' room", she told Won. They invited her to enter.

He was already standing when Won when she entered the room. He was wearing a tracksuit, and Won wondered how long he had been living in the town.

"Good morning", Won said.

"Hello", Im coldly replied.

"I'm glad we could meet at the end", she added.

"You can sit down", Im said while pointing out at the old chair next to the bed.

"Thanks", she replied. Meanwhile, in the background, she could hear the two women talking in a lively way, but she did not recognize the language. The conversation ended with one of the women, she seemed to identify the one she had meet in the train station, exclaiming "Eya!" or something similar.

"Manyen told me about you", said Im, interrupting Won's thoughts. "That's why I accepted to contact you. I hope it's not the wrong decision".

"I'm sure that will not be the case", Won replied.

"Did not you feel that anyone could have follow you?", Im asked while sitting down as well.

"Oh no", Won, "I don't think that was the case".

"Only two people in the newspaper knows about this situation...", she continued. "And they are trustworthy enough. You don't have to worry about it". As she spoke, she realized that the drawer at the other side of the room, which was opened, seemed to have a small gun over some papers. She tried not to keep her eyes on it too much.

"I hope you don't mind we record our conversation", Won added, taking out an old voice recorder from her bag. "It's the only way to assure that the information is the most faithful to your version, and to serve in case this results in any legal process”.

“You and me know well that this is going nowhere”, Im replied. “Anyway, I don’t care...My only condition is that any information about conversation is neither shared nor released until I have left the country”.

“Or if something happened to me”, Im simply added.

“Yes, sure”, Won replied. “You have my word”.

“So why do you know about Hyeoul Road attack?”, Won suddenly asked.

“They were from my unit”, Im replied.

“Yes, I know”, Won said, as she felt that he was not too talkative.

“We knew that something went wrong the day before”, he suddenly added.

“What do you mean?”, she asked.

“It’s difficult to say”, Im answered. “And I wouldn’t like to endanger more and my people...But I was not as confident as they were and I decided to leave. Lately things were going wrong in the State Department. I felt the situation was too unpredictable after what had happened”.

“Gone wrong?”, Won asked. “What do you mean?”.

“It was strange at first place our assignment that day. It was unusual regarding how roles and missions are typically assigned in our unit, which has been mostly dealing with background security for the last years”.

“I understand your concerns”, Won replied. “But you had just returned from Djabidjan City, isn’t that right?”.

“Indeed, we did”, Im answered.

“Were you in the theatre that day?”, she asked.

“No, no”, Im answered. “We were there the days before, only two days”.

“Regarding your security role?”, Won asked again.

“That’s right”, Im replied. “We did an inspection of the place, as it is typical of such events. Although we were given unusual orders, such as depositing certain materials”.

“Such as?”, Won asked.

“Well”, Im replied, “mostly boxes who were already on the theatre, just to make space for the security team in the dressing rooms and storehouses, as well as some sand or cement sacks, I can’t remember, who were transported from a military truck”.

“Did you inspect them?”, Won asked. “Was it a normal procedure?”.

“No, not me personally at least”, Im said. “I wouldn’t say that was the case for such venure, but not too unusual”.

“How many people knew about that assignment?”, Won asked.

“Not many, besides those who were there that day”, Im replied. “Mayor  Jang Han-woo informed us personally the day before”.

“I see”, Won replied.

“I could not find a map of the theatre, though”, Im said, “but this is everything I could do”. He gave a sketch of a plan. I hope it could be helpful for you”.

The conversation continue for a few minutes more. “Machwè will let you know when anything has changed”, Im said, as Won turned her recording divice off and put it back into her bag.

“Alright”, replied Won, wondering which was exactly the connection between him and the two women.

“Anyway”, Im added, “I’ll be likely leaving during the next week. As my experience tells me, during the presidential inauguration is the best moment to leave, as security will tighten around Djabidjan City”.

“Yes, it makes sense, I assume”, Won replied, wondering if he will really try to cross the border through Nassau. But it was not, after all, her business. “Good luck”, she added.

“Will you be able to return back?”, Im asked. “I’m not to happy with expose them too much, after all…”.

“Oh”, Won replied. “I understand. I don’t think it will be a problem at all. I have someone in this city which may help me, don’t worry”.

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2022, 09:31:16 PM »

Djabidjan City, Ministry of Home Affairs

"I'm glad to have you on board again", Yohannes said.

"It's a honour, of course", Minh Vu replied. He was not too happy to have left the State Department, but after being demoted he felt that his career in the institution was, at best, at a standstill. It had been a risky move, but he did not just want to wait until who knows when.

"I'm glad to have someone who I can trust", Yohannes continued. "In the current circumstances, we have to be careful. Many people would like to want us to fail".

"I understand", Minh Vu replied, although he was not competely sure if Yohannes was talking about himself on in a wider way.

"We can not make more mistakes", Yohannes said, suddenly keeping silence for a few secons, although he was not too happy about he had just said. "Nevermind", he continued, "you understand the nature of your job, I'm certain. It may feel a banal role, but I hope you can understand it's importance".

"Of course, Minister", Minh Vu replied, who wasn't still very comfortable the sudden change of positions both had experienced in the last months, after all these years in the State Department. "I have had similar responsabilities in the past, as you are well aware. This time, the weight on my shoulders will simply be heavier, but I'm prepared to fulfill this role".

"Great", Yohannes said. "Although I want you to do more than that. I'd have chosen any other if that would be the case, as you can understand...In the current circumstances, we need to be very cautious. We need to avoid any mistake, even if the mistake are ourselves".

"Your role should be both protecting the president as gathering all possible information around him", Yohannes said. "I know only you can do this job".

"Thanks...", Minh Vu replied, who was not completely surprised. "I understand. Will we working with the Department?", he inquired.

"We are in a very complicated situation", Yohannes replied. "Our enemies are ready to jump against us at the first chance. But the leadership needs to know that the president has the right people around, and prepare us from any fatal mistake. You will be only informing directly to me. We have decided that's the best for the success of our mission".

"I see", Minh Vu replied. "I can understand", he said, although he did not really understood what Arendse may mean with "leadership".

"We'll discuss the detail later", Yohannes said. "I'm glad to count you on our side. We must ready. In the meantime, I'll prepare your appointment".

"Thanks, sir", Minh Vu said.

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2022, 12:00:26 AM »
Central Lai Hotel, Jangju

"Ah, you're here", Hong said, "taking a breath of fresh air?", he asked.

"More like a break", Tieu replied. Hong reacted with a smile.

"Is Mrs. Kwon talking with whom I believe she is?", Hong suddenly inquiried, pointing at the other side of the large hotel courtyard. "What an odd couple...I had not noticed her before so I'm suprised she was invited...If you don't mind".

"She and her mother were invited by Kim", Tieu explained.

"Ah, that makes sense", Hong replied. "It still amazes me how much everything has changed in a few months, including today...I'm grateful that we have advanced this path together".

"That's true", Tieu replied. "Life is simply unpredictable. Hard work and trust give results, sometimes. We can only try to keep the work and hope this path continues".

"That's right", Hong said. "One thing that I couldn't make it out", he added after a long pause and looking again at the other side of the courtyard, "is the purpose of leaking that information about the Kwon...at the time, I thought it was about weakening them in the Executive Council, but it felt strange to me that we were playing on his side the moment he seemed the weakest and most unstable".

"Sometimes", Tieu argued, "you need to play on both sides, so both can lose, either now and later. Anyway, it was simply a convenience. Things have changed as you said, we need to find some strong base, a more stable calm".

"Yes, you're right", Hong replied. "I'll do my best".

"Anyway", Tieu added, "let's go back to the hall". Hong nodded and simply following him after throwing away his cigarette.

"I hadn't notice you before", Kwon Mi-yeon told Moon So-ra. "Until recently, in fact, I was not aware you have returned to the country".

"Yes", Moon replied, still surprised that Kwon had approached her, "it has been a long time since the last time, I guess".

"During your absence, of course", Kwon added, "your mother's franchise in Djabidjan City became quite a sensation, everyone talked about it...".

"Yes, I am aware", Moon declared, interrupting both Kwon's sentence and her smile. "I was told that".

"I guess I should express some gratitude after what happened", Kwon added after a long silence.

"Well", Moon replied, "you don't need to do it. I didn't do it for you...".

"I know", Kwon replied. "Still, it was something brave to do. Our families don't need to be opponents, that's all I hope".

"Our families?", Moon asked with a snide look. "But alright, let's not be focused in the past, I agree. I wish you the best, representative Kwon".

"Thank you", Kwon nodded. "I hope the same. I feel we should go back, anyway", she added.

"Sure, you can go", Moon replied. "I'll follow you in a second".

"Alrgiht", Kwon nodded.

« Last Edit: September 16, 2022, 10:13:59 AM by paralipomena »

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2022, 07:21:56 PM »

Djabidjan City

"...Well, let's return to the topic", Hong said.

"Alright", President Min replied. "This problem has been neglected for too long".

"I agree that's the case, of course", Tieu said. "However, we must be cautious to avoid even bigger problems".

"Those wings should have been cut as soon they appeared", Min replied. "Now it will be a nuisance either way. In a sense, it was predictable. Rokkenjiman blood will remain polluted, independently on the environment".

"I have been trying to send her a a message that would her to understand a change of conduct", Tieu explained. "However, I am skeptical about the prospects of such initiative, at least for now".

"In any case, Mr. President", Hong said, "it will be better that we focus on more practical issues, or rather, more practical dimensions of this problem, at least until a mistake gives us the chance to intervene directly and decisively".

"Those chances", Min replied, slightly irritated about the lack of initiative, "very often must be created. We must move in that direction".

"Indeed", Hong replied, "we're doing the best, but it may not be a good idea to force the situation...For that reason, it would give us a stronger position if we strengthen our position before that times arrives. That's why the situation in Punha would be a right step in that direction".

"Is she involved?", Min asked.

"Not as far as I'm aware", Tieu answered.

"No, that doesn't seem the case", Hong added. "However, we thought that if we achieve to support a third person to that position, likely one more malleable, indebted to us after all, and even a more inclusive profile, would help us...even if we will not try to make us that obvious. But one that would move toward our direction more willinglly when we need it".

"I see", Min replied. "That may work. But trusting someone without a real link is always risky".

"I understand", Tieu intervened. "However, it is better if we do not make it very obvious. It would be more helpful for us in that way".

"If that would be the case", Min argued. "Let's not chose the horse until he is properly vetted and showed enough loyalty".

"Of course", Hong replied. "I'll work on that".

"It's getting late", Min and I expect the visit of the Director. "Let's continue with this discussion as soon as you have something more solid".

"We'll try that will be before the next Council of Ministers", Tieu suggested.

"Sure", Hong added.

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2023, 10:39:18 PM »

Djabidjan City

"Can you get on the point?", a visbly irritated Yohannes asked.

"Yes, sir", Jeon Da-hee replied. "I understand that the ministry may need to organize additional tasks, of course. However, I only ask that if men and resources under my command are going to be used, to be informed about it".

"Do you expect to be informed about every detail we happen to deal in Djabidjan City", Yohannes asked once again.

"Of course not!", Jeon answered. "But as I am certain that you do as well, sir, I expect my own men to follow my orders, and I can not do so if some of them are either acting independently or avoid to informing. What am I suppose to do if I discover them in what could be seen as an act of indiscipline or outlaw behavior? I can imagine you can understand very well my position, minister".

"You are making a fuss of a little misundertanding", Yohannes replied. "I am already getting bored of this affair".

"Alright, sir", Jeon added. "But I used the proper channels and I did not obtain any answer or explanation. I do not think I was asking too much".

"Very well", Yohannes said. "Let's end this discussion. I have more important things to do today. You'll have news from my office soon. Go back to your office".

"Yes, sir", Jeon said before leaving the main office from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

Jangju, Palansaeg district

"Let me tell you that I find your concern a bit unexpected, Thien", Maeda said, just after finishing her drink. "Are you working as a government mediator now?".

"That's not the issue", Thien replied. "But one should know when one may to withdraw, particularly when it is likely that the balance is not positive".

"I do not remember you prudent advice when you worked for my father", Maeda said. "Do not tell me how to run my business".

"Of course not...", Thien replied, who had barely touched he food in the last ten minutes. "I would never dare to say so. But I know how things work here, that's all. A minor change could have same you and your interest some time. Such minor change in the leadership of a newspaper is not likely to cause a damage of reputation, if that's what bothers you, rather the contrary, as there are always other reasons for such decisions...I heard that something big is going to happen soon regarding our business world. Not about you, you can be relieved, but it would be perceived positiviely after all if it coincides with a right change of direction...even if it's only an unperceptible one".

"I do not run my business uncarelessly", Maeda replied. "It may not be our most profitable initiative, that's for sure, but the sales have actually increased in the last time. Your concern may be welcomed, but I do not feel that this is something that should worry us. Are you a messager from the Tieu now, should I assume?".

"I knew personally Mrs. Kim if that's what you mean", Thin answered. "It is not that, but since I joined Punha I was able to make new contacts. After working so years with your father, I'd be disappointed if you were to face some more or less serious problems or setbacks, that's all".

"Certainly honourable and kind of your part...", Maeda replied. "Thanks for your concern but I know what I have to do. Time will tell".

Offline paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2023, 02:14:59 PM »

Djabidjan City, Headquarters of the Ministry of Home Affairs

"I have been informed that the operation was a success", Minh Vu confirmed. "It ended as expected and the remaining members were neutralized".

"I am glad to hear that", Yohannes replied. Minh Vu, still thinking about some failed mission in the past, was certainly relieved.

"There were not survivors, then?", Choon-he that. "I guess we will not have official confirmation until some hours, maybe days".

As a former member of the Special Operations Brigade of the State Department, Choon-he was not too happy about the result, as they would get at least part of the blame.  Still, his confidence in Minister Arendse had remained untouched, as he had experienced too many things to be affected by such partial judgement. After all, Yohannes remained their man in the government, in his view, and the need to dispose of those who had betrayed the state and who aimed to join forces with the enemies of the nation was not in doubt.

Suddenly, one of his mobile phones, the one he had on the back of his trousers, started to vibrate. "Well", Choon-he added, "It seems our man neutralized the last remaining enemy".

"Very well", Yohannes replied. "You know what it is needed to do now". As usual, he barely showed any emotion as the words left his mouth.

Bugdjajibang district, Republic of Djabidjan

Daahad looked with disgust the body, already a corpse, that was next to him. They had spent many hours together in the last week, but he had only been counting this moment to arrive. It is not that doubts had not increasingly entered his mind. They did. But it was more about the nature of his mission than the people who had surrounded him, whom he never felt more than insects to be crushed. There were moments of confussion, indeed, but the adrelanin experienced about the prospects of being discovered helped him to create a distance between he and these men, who were likely met their end now.

He pushed and kicked the corpse out of his car, an Ardian-produced red car with a distinctive wide white stripe on the doors. Orders were orders, but he did not expect being involved in such affair. They were quite crazier weeks and he was glad that this affair had ended. He expected a period of calm would follow, as it is usual after such risky operation.

He gave the details and waited, not without some impatience, that the details about his route were given to him. He started his car after checking carefully his destination.

Five minutes later, after turning the car to the left he suddenly saw himself moving toward a group of law enforcement cars which blocked the road.

They did not doubt to open fire, as soon as they saw the car, which met the description of a certain model red car with white stripes.

As soon as Daahad's body received the impact of dozens of bullets, the car lost control and directly crashed against a military van. He was declared dead as the armed police opened the car.