Author Topic: Navigating Murky Waters (Ach and Merina)  (Read 7540 times)

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
Navigating Murky Waters (Ach and Merina)
« on: April 23, 2020, 09:25:06 PM »
To say it was business as usual in Valtheim could either be accurate or dismissed depending on a persons point of view. The Round Table Conference which was essentially the total sum of the royals, government, intelligence and military leaders. The Vice Consul Rhian Kennedy had just finished explaining what had happened at the meeting in Kaedwen.

"In short my assessment is that Merina is a right mess." Rhian said "I'd go as far as to say that every faction is as bad all the others. The twin track solution proposed at the meeting and now referred to the Council of Albion has flaws but most concerning of all this doesn't have any support from the current Merinian government."
"So on paper this is analogous to Marseilles rather than Lakhzovia" Field Marshall William Dawson said "Any move against Merina without cause is an act of war."
"Which is why we're proposing a wait and see approach coupled with some factfinding on our bridge model." Richard Chambers the minister of foreign affairs said

Emperor Peter Azurewind relaxed in his chair considering his options
"Tell me about these charges the FMA wants to throw at the President of Merina." Peter said
"No idea what they are, the Merinian's weren't exactly specific about them." Rhian said
"And it's not like we can just call up Merina and ask is it?" Peter said "And anything following Uppsalla being in force we need to know about. Rion?"
"I can get someone on the ground to get info from the parties involved." Rion Ayanami said "Once we've got that we can navigate this one issue at a time."

"Let's be very clear I am not authorising a military operation without just cause to do so." Peter said "Rion how would you do it?"
"Current intel says that the Free State hold the coastal city of Donze." Rion said "We can use a naval vessel to drop someone off and they can move in discreetly."
"How many agents?" Peter asked looking at Rion
"One should be all we send on this." Rion said
"Do it." Peter said

Strait of Shaw

The INS Kryptonite headed east out of Phuebra where it had been stationed following the end of the Phuebran civil war, it's destination was to get right up against the Merina EEZ line before dropping off their package and backing off to hold position. Standing on the bridge the ship's commanding officer Captain Lily Falconer monitored the situation as the ship approached its destination point.
"Captain we're coming up on position." the helm officer said
"Very well Lieutenant, slow to all stop." Lily said
"Answering all stop Captain." the helm officer said

Lily nodded and narrowed her eyes.
"Keep on radar and sonar for any Merina naval activity I don't want a standoff." Lily said "Inform flight deck they can deploy."

Out on the flight deck Hazel Nairn one of Achkaerin's Justicars was readying herself for what was probably going to be a very odd moment. A small dingy had been readied and now with her aboard it was being lowered into the water. She checked her bearings and sighed this wasn't any more risky than anything she'd done before. She set off into the night heading for Donze.

When morning dawned Hazel was slowly entering Donze's harbour, she got as far as getting out of the water and up onto the jetty before two armed soldiers presumably they were Free State had weapons trained on her, Hazel wouldn't actually be surprised if they'd been watching her in for a while. She raised her hands.

"Ok no one do anything rash." Hazel said "I'm not armed. I just want to talk to someone in charge."

Offline Dijel

• Basically New Zealand
  • Here we go again, baby!
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: The Republic of Kaedwen // The Commonwealth of Merina
Re: Navigating Murky Waters (Ach and Merina)
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 11:35:15 PM »
Vincent de Boer; No. 1 Marine Commando Headquarters, Donze Harbour, Merinan Free State

The harbour at Donze was a fair way south of the city centre, a commercial port rather than home to pleasure cruisers; a couple of vessels were alongside; sea traffic had increased a little since the blockade had slackened, though many carriers remained hesitant. FSS Hotspur, now bearing her own markings and flying - rather incongruously - an immodestly large jolly roger, was also alongside, making ready for what was to be her second patrol. Stores were being taken on, her cargo unloaded, weapons primed and readied, crew enjoying the last of their time ashore. The sun was shining, spring was here, life was good.

Vince was out on deck when two of his lads presented him with a rather bedraggled looking young woman. His first instinct was somewhat wide of the mark.

"Very fetching, Leland" Vince declared preemptively to the Corporal who presented her to him "But she's not coming with us. Unless she's for me, I suggest you take her back to the curb you found her on"

"It's not like that, sir" Corporal Leland responded, indignantly, having the decency to at least pretend to be offended on Hazel's behalf, though his first thought on seeing her struggling through the breakers had been along rather the same lines.

"Well, what is it like?" Vince demanded, turning away from his inspection of their newly repaired port-side amidships launcher, immediately regretting the snappy tone. He felt like the stress of preparation was starting to get to him, he'd be far happier once they were finally underway, he was sure "Sorry, pal, but who is she and why's she standing in front of me dripping on my deck? For fuck sake. Smuts, get the silly bitch a towel, don't just stand there like a fucking sponge" The second epithet has aimed squarely at the second commando, who slunk away to raid a towel from a palette of fresh laundry which had, conveniently, just landed by the tower, returning a few moments later and presenting it, awkwardly, to Hazel.

"She came out of the sea in a little rubber dingy not ten minutes ago" The hapless Leland explained, somewhat defensively "Says she's not armed, and asked to talk to someone in charge"

"Right" Vince looked questioningly at Hazel "Right. Did you check if she is armed?" Leland didn't speak, but his sheepish look said it all "Odin's hairy arse" Vince exclaimed "Some watery tart turns up and gives you the 'take me to your leader' line and you're not in the least suspicious? Struth. I hope for your sake them's tits and not a bloody suicide vest" Vincent's right hand went to his sidearm, though this stayed on his hip, as he turned to address the now somewhat drier Achkaerinese.

"So, what's your story" He didn't quite demand it, though his tone was gentler with her than he had been with the luckless Leland, about as gentle as a man fondling a firearm can be, really. Almost conversational "What brings you to this beautiful little slice of Mundus this finest of mornings?"

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2020, 05:15:59 PM »
"Call sign 'Flare' Achkaerinese intelligence." Hazel said drying herself with the towel she'd been given "Basically here to ask for information. There was recently a meeting in Kaedwen involving the Free Merina Association the Free State had a presence. In that meeting the Merinan's mentioned a list of charges they intended to lay against Nguessa and I presume his regime, however there's been no indication of what the charges were, when the relevant events occurred and so on. So I'm hoping you can give me that information, preferably in an electronic format."

Offline Dijel

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2020, 12:42:45 PM »
Vincent de Boer; No. 1 Marine Commando Headquarters, Donze Harbour, Merinan Free State

Vince regarded the Achkerinese with equal parts astonishment and incredulity. He sighed, looking out across the blue water in thought for a moment, before turning back to the little group.

"Right... right" He responded, a little more distantly "You're a nutter, you know that? If that's true, you're nuts, and if it's not you're fucked. Understand? Good" He didn't wait for a response, turning instead back to the hapless Corporal Leland "Corporal, take the girl ashore and stick her in the mess. Get some hot food in her, silly bitch looks like she needs it. She's our guest, for now, but she's not to be let out of your sight. If there's any funny business, stick the cuffs on her and chuck her pretty little features in the cells. Understood?"

"Yes, Sir" Corporal Leland responded, with more enthusiasm than he felt, relieved to be getting away from his boss' irate gaze.

"Take Private Smuts with you" Vince added "No fuck ups now. Dismissed"

Vincent shook his head as the pair politely encouraged 'Flare' off the ship and towards their simple, brick-built accommodation block a little way back from the quayside, inside which the little mess hall was located. Leland was a good lad, he thought, though quite remarkably unfortunate. 'Calamity James' the lads called him. Private Smuts was a few years younger, barely shaving, and seemed a little uncomfortable around the girl. Vincent made a mental note to introduce the lad to one of Madame Fifi's girls when they got back, should sort the little lad right out. With another huff, he pulled out his phone and dialed a number, walking up to Fotspur's bow for a little privacy.

"Dirk" He began, as the line connected, addressing the Free State's head of Free State Intelligence "Have you got a minute, might have something for you?"

"Hey Vince" The disembodied voice of Dirk Williamson responded "Sure bud, go for it"

"Two of my lads pulled this sheila out of the sea maybe, I'd say twenty minutes ago. Trying to land in some sort of raft, she was. Clams to be from Achkerinese Intelligence, knows about your little adventure in Belmont, so could be the gen article. Wanna come take a look?"

"I do" The voice came back quickly, before pausing for thought "Tell you what, if you hang on to her for half an hour, I'll come down myself. That good?"

"Yeah mate, no dramas" Vince smiled, though for obvious reasons to no effect "That's just the job. I'm aboard Hotspur, come find me when you're down"

Hazel was led away gently, but firmly, with Leland on one side and Smuts on the other. While it was beginning to heat up outside, the inside of the block was like a furnace, despite the best efforts of a multitude of anemic ceiling fans. Leland led her to the back of the mess hall, which was even hotter, while Smuts went up to the kitchen, where two other men were making a great show of mopping and cleaning. Leland sat her down at the white plastic table in the far corner, before himself perching on the edge of the next table, a few feet away.

"Right" He began "Lets have no trouble from you, else we'll have to stop playing nice, and trust me neither of us need that today. If you've anything you shouldn't have on you, stick it on the table now, nice and slow like, and we'll say no more about it. If I think you're hiding anything, dirty Dave Drinkwater over there" He gestured towards the kitchen, where the man with the mop looked up reflexively at mention of his name. He was shirtless and sweating in the heat, a huge tattoo of a stylized wallaby across his shoulders "Will be more than happy to take a look at what you've got, if you follow. Yes you will, Dave, you pervvy sonofabitch" This last epithet was aimed at the meekly protesting Dave Drinkwater "Pick that mop up, lad, else you'll be eating your next meal off that floor"

At this point, Leland's monologue was interrupted by Smuts returning. He gingerly placed a small plate of Biltong in front of Hazel - the strips of dried meat were a traditional snack food in his native Kaedwen - smiling nervously. This did not go unnoticed.

"Buy her some flowers while you're at it, why not?" Leland scathed the younger man, before turning back to their not-quite prisoner "Come on then, Sheila, do us all a favour and come clean"

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 06:00:21 PM »
Hazel had quietly tapped the table with one finger as Leland had made his speech, not like it was anything she hadn't heard before. She smiled as she dug into the food.

"Nothing really to tell, I'm here doing my job same as you." Hazel said "I'm not here to cause trouble just get some answers and information and then I'm gone." she glanced at Smuts "Thank you. You wouldn't be from Kaedwen by some chance would you? Just I think the only other time I ate this was at a Kaedweni restaurant." 

Offline Dijel

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2020, 09:26:33 PM »
Private Joachim Smuts; No. 1 Marine Commando Headquarters, Donze Harbour, Merinan Free State

"I've heard that before, love" Corporal Leland cut off Hazel's attempts at small talk sharply. He didn't really believe the girl was up to no good, but wasn't prepared to risk trouble. Not with the brass coming to take a look. He turned back to the topless mopper "Private Drinkwater, to me. Smuts, grab a pair of those gloves from the guardroom. Yes lad, the latex ones..."

The Corporal turned back to Hazel with a sudden malevolence as Drinkwater ambled over, grinning, from the kitchen.

The Free State Intelligence Service chief, Dirk Williamson, arrived at the base a short time later. Vince shepherded him into the small, sweaty barrack block where Hazel had been reinstated to her clothes, though Leland retained possession of everything else they'd managed to find on her person during what Smuts considered might have been a slightly overly thorough search. He'd not been able to find their bag of plasticuffs that usually lived in the guardroom, though Private Drinkwater had helpfully produced a set of restraints. They were pink and fluffy.

Dirk barely batted an eyelid at the disheveled figure he was presented with.

"So you're the Achkerinese spook I've been hearing about?" He addressed her, amicably "Pleasure to meet you. I'm Dirk" He turned aside to Vince, adding: "Do we really need the handcuffs?"

"Doubt it" Vince thought, looking to Leland "You've searched her?"

"Sir" The Corporal handed over the plastic shopping bag containing Hazel's possessions "That's all she had, Sir. We've looked... everywhere"

"Fair dinkum" Vince decided "Take the handcuffs off, but watch her"

"Sir" Leland nodded, before hurrying to remove the restraints.

"So, Flare" Dirk continued conversationally, turning back to Hazel "Care to walk with me?"

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 08:09:31 PM »
Hazel nodded and fell into step beside Dirk, she actually wasn't bothered by what had transpired with the three guards, in truth she'd had worse nights, though it had taken an awful lot of self control to not employ her Prana-bindu skills on the three men, something she was glad about as she wasn't sure how much awareness there was of the Bene Gesserit Sisterhood in Merina and exposing herself as one of them was probably not the best idea.

"I won't beat around the bush." Hazel said "At a meeting in Kaedwen a group of people belonging to the Free Merina Association talked to Achkaerinese, Lodjan, Alander, Rokkenjiman and Tytorian representatives among others. In that meeting the Association presented a plan which was referred to the Council of Albion." she paused "However there was also mention about certain atrocities carried out in this civil war and the suggestion of charges against the current regime, what wasn't explained was what charges were intended to be laid, or much in the way of detail of what was being talked about in general. Obtaining that information is part of why I'm here."

Offline Dijel

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 03:24:45 PM »
Dirk Williamson; Quayside, Donze Harbour, Merinan Free State

Dirk regarded the woman carefully as they walked; something seemed just a little off about her, but he couldn't quite put his finger on it.

"I'm aware of that conference" He smiled blithely, not giving away that he'd been there himself "Remind me, who attended for Achkaerin?"

Once Hazel confirmed that it had, in fact, been their Vice Consul, Rhian Kennedy, Dirk was a little more assured that this girl was what she claimed to be. This wasn't exactly common knowledge. But, then again, she could just be lucky. Even if she was a particularly keen press intern, or just some weirdo, he guessed this was worth taking a punt on.

"Alright, I'm happy you are who you say you are, or, at least, what you say you are" He smiled again, a little more easily this time "Yeah, so our man President Nguessa's got a chequered past, to say the least. Not a subtle man, and not much gentle either. Likes his chemical weapons, he does. There's a big chemical weapons outfit up north, place called Eyl, and we've a couple of places we're fairly sure they've been used. Other than that, he's a touch less careful about collateral damage than I'd like; I mean, its a nasty little war and things do happen in the heat of the moment, you understand, but we know they're not worried about killing civilians, and I suspect there's times when that's what they're trying to do"

"Other than that" He continued, aware that this was starting to turn into a bit of a laundry list "We've got instances of MNA units being issued with instructions to 'take no prisoners' - we know because we've captured some - and the prisoners they do take don't seem to do much better. We've got pictures of executions by rear-echelon troops, and stories of torture and worse from stragglers our boys have picked up. I can't prove it - yet - but I believe there's a big camp up north, near a place called Suwewe, where they're doing some pretty unsavory stuff. Seems to be where they're sending their PoW's, but the Red Cross can't get near them"

"As for laying charges" He chuckled "I can't say I rate Nguessa's chances of making it to a courtroom, not if our Charlie gets his hands on him. It'll be a posthumous investigation, if there is one, and then only if we win the war. Lets not get ahead of ourselves, eh"

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 10:45:04 PM »
"Fair enough." Hazel said, this was actually a lot more than she'd expected to be told especially as she considered the Free State element of her mission to be more the fools errand while the second element was more her speed, she took a deep breath "Is it possible to have electronic copies of any proof you've got of these things? Just it would save my wardrobe from whatever's in the Strait of Shaw water these days."

She took a breath as she continued to digest everything that Dirk had told her it was harrowing she took another breath and refocused her mind "Also if I can push my luck a little do you happen to have the means to get me back out to sea intact?" she asked

Offline Dijel

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 11:33:35 PM »
Dirk Williamson; Quayside, Donze Harbour, Merinan Free State

"There's an electronic version of the pack from Belmont" Dirk confided "Tell you what, come with me and we'll shoot two birds with one stone"

A short car trip later and they were at the a FSIS office somewhere in downtown Donze. Dirk had called ahead, and the secretary on the desk handed him a brown paper envelope as he passed, barely looking up from her computer screen as she did so. The building was a very modern, if slightly stark, high-rise block close to the beach. A mirror-lined elevator took them up. A long way up.

"There's a helicopter waiting" Dirk informed Hazel, handing over the envelope. Inside was a plain blue thumb drive containing a copy of the aforementioned pack, along with a brief pamphlet about the Free State from President Adelkune and - because apparently someone in the office had thought this was a good idea - a small white mint in a clear plastic wrapper "They'll take you all the way if your people promise not to shoot her down. If not, they can drop you off on one of our offshore rigs, and your people can pick you up from there"

As the lift doors swept open smoothly, they found themselves on the roof of the substantial tower and, true to his word, a Free State Forces helicopter sat on the rooftop helipad, engines running and crew buckled in. Another helicopter was already airbone, loitering nearby with a large missile conspicuously carried on her port flank. The weapon had something written on it in big red letters. Dirk was glad it was too far away to read, it was almost certainly offensive, or at the very least gratuitously sexual.

"You'll have an escort on the ride out" He explained, seeing the missile catch Hazel's eye "Just on the off chance the MNN decide to show up. Don't worry, it's perfectly safe" They shook hands as they came up to the helipad steps, Dirk almost shouting now to make himself heard over the whine of the engines "They're rotten shots! Take care out there! Until next time... Flare"

He stood and watched until the two craft were out of sight. Well, that had been an unusual morning.

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2020, 10:20:56 PM »
Lily Falconer looked around at the coms officer on the bridge of the Kryptonite with surprise.
"Say again ensign." Lily said
"Incoming helicopter carrying callsign Flare wants permission to land and deliver Flare." the ensign said
"Permission granted." Lily said
"Yes ma'am." the ensign said
"Helm once the helicopter is clear on its return trip head south toward Marseilles best possible speed." Lily said
"Aye aye skipper." the helmsman said

Half an hour later Hazel was in her assigned quarters for the voyage video calling Rion on her tablet.
"I'm transferring all the data now." Hazel said sighing as she used her laptop to upload the data "It's a mixed bag like we thought but there's more detail there than I thought we'd get."
"I see" Rion said "I'll get it analysed and advise. You set for phase two?"
"Yes." Hazel said "Helicopter relay will be fun."
"Be careful." Rion said

Three days later Hazel, via prearranged transport was in Aquitaine and driving a jeep across the border into Merina. Her second objective sounded as simple as the first but it was infinitely more complex - seek out the Grand Fedayeen Shura and see what their state of affairs was, by all accounts this was effectively bandit country, she really didn't know what to expect, she did know they were Odinists so she had a lead there. The one problem she had was that she didn't know where to find the leadership she was seeking so she'd have to play the 'take me to your leader' card again. Still at least this time she felt more at ease she was a Truthsayer after all so warrior to warrior talk wasn't anything she didn't know plus she could handle herself in a fight if she needed to prove herself.  She kept glancing left and right as she made her way deeper into the wilderness of Pindar, how far would she get before someone challenged her?

Offline Dijel

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2020, 10:53:53 PM »
Abou M'Botho; Gagh Village, Western Pindar, Merina

The village of Gagh was barely worthy of the title - a handful of dirt-coloured mud brick hovels huddled together in the shelter of a shallow, equally dirt-coloured valley in the bleak hills of western Pindar. A good climb above the more prosperous Farsi Valley, the people here scratched out a meager existence from the dusty soil, their lives as much bound to the seasons and cycles of nature as had their parents', and their parents before them. It was as if the last three-hundred years had passed this place by.

Almost.

As Hazel's jeep bumped along the rutted dirt track that passed in these parts as a road, she was waved down at a road block just beyond the adobe walls of the village proper. It was hardly an impressive roadblock, to be sure; two piles of assorted junk had been tipped haphazardly onto the road forming a kind of staggered chicane, while two dusty-eyed faces peered down from behind a low breastwork set a few metres up the slope beside their ragged barricade. It was one of these who had waved at Hazel to stop as she approached, and, as she rolled to a gentle stop in front of their post, he came forward gingerly, rifle at the ready. He moved awkwardly, slowly, as if every step pained him and, as he came closer, Hazel could easily make out the wrinkles criss-crossing his wizened old face, and the bristly white eyebrows peaking out from under the rim of his ill-fitting steel helmet, stark against the darkness of his weather-worn face. He had to be seventy if he was a day.

"Salut?" He began, coming across to Hazel's vehicle on the off-side, lowering his weapon as he saw she was apparently unarmed. Up close, she could see it was an equally weather-worn old bolt-action, and neither man nor rifle would have seemed far out of place on the battlefields of a century earlier "Hello?" He switched to English, speaking almost as awkwardly as he spoke "A long way from home, I think you are" It was both statement and question, his breath stinking of strong coffee and cigarettes "Going somewhere, maybe? Help you, can we?"

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2020, 12:44:53 AM »
"Hopefully yes." Hazel said keeping very still so as to put the man at ease, the last thing she needed was more trouble and she was quite enjoying the man's Yoda impression so she wasn't really about to cause any, it would most certainly be counter productive to the mission. "I'm looking for Prince Ike Ezana." she figured that wouldn't get her very far after all the 'take me to your leader' routine was always something of a gamble "The name's Flare I'm here to talk and I'm happy to wait."

Offline Dijel

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2020, 05:18:18 PM »

No sooner had Hazel spoken than a breath of wind plucked at the flag hanging from a telegraph pole beside the ragged roadblock, revealing the National Liberation Army's tricolour pennant, and not the black-and-white raven of Pindar. The old man, still smiling, shifted his rifle into the crook of his arm. Behind him, there was a sharp click - clearly audible amidst the stillness - as his companion cocked his own weapon.

"Funny one, that is" The old man, after pausing to think for a second, seemed pleased with himself "Because to find him, we would like also"

He considered for another moment, weighing up Hazel, before calling out to his comrade behind the breastwork, not taking his eyes off the woman in the jeep.

"Abou" He called.

"Oui Naib?" The other solider called, the voice emanating from under the ill-fitting shemagh seemed oddly high-pitched, though the rifle remained intractably aimed at Hazel's head.

"Aller chercher le Subedar" The old man seemed much more at home in his native tongue "Et ramener du thé, s'il vous plaît"

"Oui Naib" The squeaky voice called back enthusiastically. Both rifle and shemagh disappeared from the parapet, and a youth clutching an oversize carbine dashed across the road and into the village, his bare feet kicking up little puffs of red dust that continued to drift in the wind long after the lad was out of sight.

"Something I can help you with" The old man explained "This is not. Know what to do, my Subedar will"

After five minutes of an awkward stand-off, most of which the old man spent staring at Hazel with unerring watchfulness, the Subedar appeared. He was the officer of the little post, though he appeared at first glance little like one; a short, squat man whose drab uniform seemed to be struggling to contain his girth, especially in contrast with the old man, whose clothing almost hung off his body. As the Subedar approached, walking awkwardly and with the aid of a stick, the boy followed him respectfully, carrying two tin mugs filled with a steaming dark brown liquid.

"Madame" The Subedar greeted her amicably, stiffly doffing his grimy forage cap, before fixing Hazel with a remarkably one-eyed stare "I am informed you are seeking our friend mister Ezana. Will you do me the courtesy of explaining why?"

((OOC: All French phrases here are shamelessly the product of Google Translate, apologies Nova if it makes your eyes bleed))

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2020, 08:11:22 PM »
Hazel didn't blink she looked at the man, in truth the French language hadn't bothered her, she'd known a few Missionara who were proficient with languages and picked up a bit over time, plus being a Justicar meant knowing how to pass without notice in another country if necessary and that also meant language learning.

"I'm here to make mister Ezana an offer, to make friends with him like you are." Hazel said "One warrior to another as you might say."

Offline Dijel

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2020, 10:18:27 PM »

"Aha" The officer chuckled, taking Hazel's comment to be a euphemism for murder "And with that I wish you the best of luck, naturally. Though, I cannot help but wonder, who has sent you upon this mission? We've had no word from Katamba, so you'll forgive us for not expecting your arrival?"

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2020, 11:40:43 PM »
"In my line of work monsieur it pays to not announce your arrival ahead of time, it has a tendency to end shall we say rather messily." Hazel said "After all if you knew I was coming and who sent me that might leak around and then I lose the element of surprise. I thank you for the luck though." she paused "Am I good to go?" 

Offline Dijel

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2020, 10:42:29 AM »

"As you say, Madame" The Subedar seemed rather taken aback by the implicit threat, then shrugged "Abou will guide you through our forward positions. Godspeed to you"

He nodded stiffly as the young soldier gestured for Hazel to follow him along the dusty trail, dropping his weapon easily to his hip and grinning broadly. Maybe fifty metres beyond the village, he beckoned her to follow him off the track, zig-zagging through the neighbouring field at apparent random. He navigated with apparent ease, in spite of the deadly peril; for what appeared, at first glance, to be an empty, if slightly overgrown, pasture was in fact sown with a thick belt of mines, protecting the NLA positions in the village. The trail through which the pair passed was marked, though not with tape, but with subtle arrangements of stones amongst the rocky ground, but the boy picked the cleared route easily. Once clear of the mines, he called her back to the road, which began climbing towards the head of the shallow valley.

Near the peak, the road was again blocked, this time by a low earthen berm, and the boy again motioned for her to stop.

"If madame would like to dismount" He chirped in his soft voice "We might show you the enemy valley"

Without further comment, the lad led her on foot along a narrow trail to the left, in amongst a stand of spindly trees and thorny bushes, motioning for her to stoop as they approached the crest. On the skyline, there was a shallow scrape in the poor soil, heavily camouflaged amongst the foliage, where another young solider squatted, chewing quietly on a wad of tobacco. The lad turned at their approach, but grinned when he saw Abou, and gestured for the pair to join him. Their was a brief exchanged of hushed and excited French, then Abou turned back to Hazel.

"Down there, Madame" Abou pointed down into the next valley, similarly desolate to their own, where a larger, lone compound sat amidst a little grove of olive trees straddling a weak trickle of a stream stream "Follow the road east and you shall find the Pindaris. We think they have a post in that house; certainly, they are not far away. I can go no further"

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2020, 07:09:41 PM »
Hazel nodded and made her way down using what cover she could, she may have been on a peaceful mission but she wasn't in the mood to get shot at. She approached the house that had been pointed out to her surveying her options she heard the snap of a twig on the ground and smiled as yet another rifle was levelled at her.

"I'm looking for Prince Ike Ezana." Hazel said looking around at the two...no three men surrounding her "I'm here to talk."

Offline Dijel

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2020, 09:41:32 PM »
Samuel Gbau; Villa East of Gagh, Western Pindar, Merina

The men in the villa had watched the white woman come down the hillside with bemusement. A half-dozen men occupied the site, which served as an advanced picket forward of Pindari territory proper, which was, like the NLA positions over in Gagh, protected by its own minefield. They wagered on the stranger's chances but, much to Sam's chagrin, she'd survived.

"Ey!" He shouted, aggressively, emerging from a doorway, rifle raised, as three of his lads converged on the stranger standing on the edge of the olive grove; one from the left, one from the right, and the other from behind "Ey! Who are you? Who the fuck are you? Get down on the ground! Get down! Now!"

One way or another, they'd get this strange woman out of the open before she got them all killed.

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2020, 11:40:43 AM »
"All right all right." Hazel said lowering herself to her knees "My callsign's Flare I'm not from these parts I'm here to talk to your leader." she wasn't down that long as two of the gunmen grabbed her arms and propelled her inside the house, it took a fair bit of restraint for Hazel not to react aggressively to that but she just had to remember what her job was at the moment, gather information, make the Pindari's the offer.

Offline Dijel

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2020, 03:58:10 PM »

Once the four men had bundled her inside the building, they began to relax. The small room seemed suddenly dark, coming from the bright sunshine outside; the rough Adobe walls were still hung with pre-war decor, though the smell made it clear that fighting men had been living here for some time. Two of the men sat her down roughly on a stowed roll-mat, while the third peered pensively through the doorway behind them, leaning into the frame with rifle in shoulder. Sam went to roll up a man which had been left unfurled on the floor, before pocketing a sheaf of paperwork left nearby.

Up close, she could see that the four men were dressed in an odd mix of camouflage fatigues and dark roughspun, and all wore shemagh headdresses, protecting their heads from the sun and mouths and noses from the cloying dust that blew across the landscape here in the summer. They seemed better armed than the NLA men in the village, with AK-style rifles and a light machine-gun kept clean. To a man, they seemed to be of fighting age and fit.

"You're a long way from home, white girl" Sam observed, at length, taking station between the two men who'd sat her down. They kept their weapons at their hip, muzzles trained on Hazel, while Sam himself had left his own slung at his side "A long, long way from home. You just walked clean through a minefield, do you know? Straight through, and you're asking after Prince Ezana? Start explaining, 'callsign Flare'. Now"

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2020, 11:48:17 PM »
Hazel narrowed her eyes, this was typical of her last few days wasn't it? Guns being pointed at her by Merina citizens. Though she'd not been aware of the mines, and was actually surprised to still be in one piece at the end of it.

"Achkaerinese intelligence here to make an offer of support to the Prince, no strings attached, no demands." Hazel said "If you want to search me go ahead I'm not armed, the only thing I'm carrying is a burner phone in my pocket which can be used to verify that I am who I say I am."

Offline Dijel

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2020, 01:44:45 PM »

"Hmph" Sam huffed at the woman's protestations, before turning briefly to check on the man in the doorway "Any more of them, Eyob?"

"Nothing moving" Eyob confirmed, shuffling into a more comfortable position.

"Achkaerinese" Sam approached the woman again, a slight smile playing on his lips "You really are a long way from home. And all alone? Mad, quite mad, you are. Go one then, prove it. No sudden movements now, or our man Ade here" He gestured to the gunman on his right, who flashed a bright grin at Hazel, though his aim didn't waver "Will blow your pretty little head clean off. Capiche?"

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2020, 06:11:56 PM »
"Ok." Hazel said slowly reaching into her pocket and taking out the phone which she put on the table and switched on "There's one number in the memory." she brought up the contact list and called the number leaving it on speakerphone.

"Asgard." a voice spoke over the line "State your call sign."

"Flare." Hazel said

"Callsign verified state the nature of your inquiry." the voice said

"Credential check." Hazel said looking at Samuel "You're about to get my warts and all record if that's satisfactory for you?"

Offline Dijel

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2020, 11:31:51 PM »

"Hmm" Sam huffed again, outwardly unimpressed. Something strange was going on here. Very strange. On another day, in another place, or with another man on the spot, it might of ended with a shallow grave a long way from home. But the ground was hard this time of year, and, anyway, he had a sudden thought on how to get rid of the witch. He shrugged: "Enough of that. You're mad, and your little fucking friends might be even more mad for all we know"

He let that hang for a moment, before continuing: "Enough of this messing about. You'll stay with us until tonight, then I'll palm you off to someone who might care what you've got to say. Eyob, shut the door and get the chains, good lad" This last epithet was directed at the hapless rifleman, who dutifully pushed the rough wooden door shut before hurrying off to fetch the restraints. The man called Ade spared Sam a quick glance before speaking for the first time.

"We putting her in the hole?" He ventured, snapping his attention back to their prisoner.

"No" Sam responded, also still looking straight at Hazel; this was as much for her benefit "Well, not yet. We'll find her a nice solid tree. If she's any trouble, throw the bitch in the hole. Right, you" This was directed more ostensibly towards Hazel "Up. Nice and slow. Out, there" She was corralled out of another door, emerging into the compound yard where, surrounded by high adobe walls, fruit trees grew in neat rows and the stream babbled happily. It was an almost domestic scene, save for the clanking of Eyob dragging a heavy set of chains away from the edge of a shear-sided pit in one corner of the compound.

"Bring them here!" Sam called to the other man, impatiently "We'll chain her to the big tree. Yeah, that one. By the door. Wait there, girl"

The great chain was wound around the trunk of a particularly sturdy looking tree, and Hazel was cajoled into having a loop of it passed around her waist, allowing her some movement in any direction around the tree. And there she was left with Ade for company, still watching her with exaggerated attentiveness. After a few minutes, he spoke up again.

"Don't go anywhere" He said, to his own apparent mirth, before ducking back inside the building they'd come from, emerging moments later with two roll mats and a rather sorry-looking green plastic canteen. One of the mats he tossed casually at Hazel, seating himself easily on the other in the shade of another tree, a little out of her reach "Sit, wait now" He advised her, sagely, before holding up the canteen and adding "Drink?" He took an exaggerated swig, holding the bottle high so she could see the clear water splash his face "Water. Safe"

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2020, 11:56:02 PM »
Hazel would never admit it but the whole being chained up thing didn't bother her that much, in fact it had quite the opposite effect part of her did like it, she mentally ran through where she stood at the moment, assuming these men were either by accident or design going to help her then she was in good stead, if not well she was confident in her ability to lose them if it came to it. When the water was offered she accepted it with a grateful 'thank you' it had been a particularly hot day. She settled herself down for the night, trying to avoid the tickling sensation she felt of the cold steel chain against her skin. In truth this was paradise compared to her Justicar survival training and that had been quite troublesome - dropped in the middle of a freezing cold snow filled and ice ridden landscape with a weeks rations, four other recruits a few basic tools and a mocked up aeroplane crash with one objective survive and use what was there and nothing else to get to a checkpoint forty kilometres away. She closed her eyes and drifted off into a light sleep, just enough to replenish her energy reserves but also light enough that she was somewhat alert. She wasn't expecting trouble though it never hurt to be prepared for it.

And she was thankful of that a few hours later when in the dead of the night the gunfire started close by.

Offline Dijel

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2020, 11:38:26 PM »

Sam had barely closed his eyes to sleep when the first shots rang out, and, with the rest of the men in the compound, hurried to his stand-to position, weapon at the ready.

Ade heard them too, though the guard had remained unerringly awake, even as he'd watched Hazel sleep. A few minutes passed, but the snap and crackle of gunfire in the darkness never came any closer. The men on the perimeter were becoming restless. In the courtyard, another Pindari emerged from the darkness to hold a hushed conversation with Ade, the pair occasionally glancing in Hazel's direction, then looking away when they caught her eye. The newcomer eyed her warily as Ade moved slowly towards her, holding out his hands in a gesture of friendship.

"Attack convoy" He explained, softly "Unchain now. Come, please?"

There was a clank as the lock that held her bonds was opened, and the two guards led her back into the building to which she'd first been taken, up a flight of stairs to the first floor - which seemed to contain more detritus, insomuch as it was possible to tell in the dark - then up a second flight onto a flat roof. The wind blew chill here, and by the light of the stars they could make out three more figures already crouching on the roof, behind the adobe lip. One was scouring the skyline over the sights of a bulky machine gun, while the second turned and spoke angrily in Sam's voice.

"Looks like your little friends are out there" He hissed at her, gesticulating towards the east, where the night was briefly lit by the flickering red glow of a Schermuly flare, before it fell back to earth "Why did they really send you? How many of them are there? What are they fucking doing? Start giving me some straight answers, bitch"

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2020, 05:31:21 PM »
"I have absolutely no idea." Hazel said staying low on the roof "It's the middle of a warzone, if they're doing anything they're trying to take your position." she was practically on the point of snapping at Sam but this was a firefight and hardly the place for it. Judging from the sound of the gunfire it was some pretty powerful stuff as well, Hazel's eyes narrowed at one sound in particular it sounded an awful lot like a sniper was out there. And sure enough a moment later the slate on the roof lip was cast up like dust. It was now that Hazel began to wonder if she just about happened to be the most experienced fighter on the rooftop, she couldn't believe that was true but right now she was more concerned with staying alive.

"You've got by the sounds of it assault rifles, mortars and a sniper out there." Hazel said "That's a decent enough small force to take this place if they get through your minefield, I'm trained for this sort of thing you want my help beating this back in which case point me to a sniper rifle or are we just going to play twenty questions all night while they advance? Your choice." 

Offline Dijel

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2020, 11:04:01 AM »

Sam glowered at her through the murky darkness, more than a little tempted to shoot the prisoner out of hand. He had his rifle at his knee where he was crouching, and fingered the trigger guard irritably. Her attitude and demeanor seemed to confirm his suspicion that she was, indeed, a spy. Perhaps it had been her who had somehow communicated the convoy's movements to the enemy? He cursed himself for the laxity; she should have been bound, blindfolded and thrown in the hole hours ago. At least she'd slipped up too - the mortar, if there was indeed one out there, hadn't fired yet. If this was more than bluster, and this woman was a spy, he might have to reconsider his options.

"A wicked little witch you are" He growled back "I don't know if you're stupid, or you think I am. Is it not gracious enough already for us to tolerate a spy in our midst already? To ask that we arm you, to give you the gun to hold to our backs? You are very lucky we let you live. Ade, bind her hands and feet, and get her chained to the rail over there. Quickly now, I've not the men to spare you to nap"

This latter part was aimed at the hapless rifleman, who produced a set of platicuffs from his webbing and moved quickly to obey. Down in the compound yard, there was a hushed commotion as a fighting patrol was assembled; these men would sweep east along the bed of the wadi until they made contact with either the supply convoy or their enemy, if the attackers had infiltrated down to the valley floor. They'd pulled in the men from their OPs when the attack first started, and Sam was clearly feeling bullish. Given the lack of night-vision equipment, fighting in the hours of darkness tended to be decided by scrappy contacts at close-quarters, where it would be all aggression under synthetic red light.

"Ade" He explained to his man, once Hazel was firmly secured "I'll take the patrol out, the place is in your hands while I am away. If the trip-flares start going off here, we'll come straight back. If she" He shot a vicious glance in Hazel's direction "Gives you any trouble, then shoot her dead. Take care" He clapped Ade on the shoulder before disappearing down the stairs. Moments later, his voice could be heard from the yard, and the patrol trooped off towards the rear of the compound, where a small back gate dropped them down into the wadi beyond.

Ade looked at Hazel almost apologetically, then held out a hand in what he hoped would be a calming motion.

"No worry" He smiled, his teeth flashing brilliant white in the darkness "Will be okay"

The man on the machine gun smiled at this, passing inaudible but invariably lewd comment, which the third man chuckled at heartily. The firing certainly wasn't coming any closer, but the men on the rooftop stayed on edge, straining their senses for any sign of their patrol of the unseen enemy.