Author Topic: Memorial Day 2020 - Open  (Read 2086 times)

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
Memorial Day 2020 - Open
« on: October 25, 2020, 12:47:52 AM »

To the nations of Mundus,

The eleventh of November is a date of great significance to many nations on Mundus, for it is the day that the final stage of what we call the "Great War" officially ended, the day the guns fell silent. Many people of many different cultures and creeds, many different people from many different nations gave their lives in that period. Every year we honor the fallen of all sides in that time and we also pay tribute to those who've given their lives in more recent conflicts and deployments. Every year on the eleventh of November Achkaerin marks Memorial Day, it concludes with the festival of remembrance in the Royal Theatre, Valtheim following a day of acts of remembrance across the nation. I would like to extend to each of you this invitation to join us as we mark the day and remember.

Signed

Emperor Peter Azurewind

OOC - feel free to reply with a letter for now if you want, I'm going to set the scene in a few days with an aim to have the act of remembrance on the 11th, after which usual diplomatic reception stuff.

Offline Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
  • Boldly staying where everyone has gone before
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: The Empire of DaitoTIO
Re: Memorial Day 2020 - Open
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 01:56:30 AM »

To His Imperial Majesty, Emperor Azurewind,

As you no doubt know, we recognize the importance to commemorate the end of the so-called "Great War", as well as to honor the sacrifices made by brave men and women on all sides of the conflict. It would, of course, be the utmost honor to attend this ceremony, which we admit we regrettably have not been able to be present for in recent years. I will, of course, attend the ceremony on the Eleventh, for which you have my gratitude for this invitation. If it would be permitted, however, alongside my family, I would invite a few guests to the ceremony. Regardless, I pray for good health upon you and your house.

Sincerely,
ᠠᠵᠯᠠᠲ ᠖ ᢨᠭᠵᠠᠱ ᡧᠡ ᡨᠡᠵᠯᠣᡳ᠂ ᠡᡨᢨ ᡧᠡ ᠢᢡᠠᠲ
(Arkan VI Vahram ve Sherkoz, Emperor of Ikhan)

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 08:59:48 PM »

To:-  His Imperial Majesty Emperor Peter

I have been requested by my brother to attend this years commemoration of your nations Memorial Day. We believed that it was important this year to have a delegation from East Moreland as it marks the 5th Anniversary of East Moreland and Achkaerin troops standing shoulder to shoulder in several significant conflicts that have shaped the modern era. As such I shall be attending alongside my husband Alex Redfern and our nations Foreign Minister Duchess Orlaith Kade.

May The Gods Watch Over You and Your Nation Know Peace

Princess Freya Ironside

Offline Tytor

• Regional Power
  • All the world's a stage...
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Tytor
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2020, 06:24:03 AM »
The Kingdom of Tytor
Official Communique

Emperor Peter Azurewind,

It is my very unfortunate responsibility to decline your gracious invitation.  In another year, either Sir Gregory Major or I would be thrilled to attend this commemoration, in conjunction with similar Remembrance Day ceremonies being held in Tytor itself.  Given, however, the nature of this upcoming Remembrance Day as the first anniversary of the largest and deadliest terrorist attack ever to strike Tytor, my cabinet and I agree that this year's commemoration ought to see the Tytorian government and its representatives remaining in Tytor.  It is my fervent hope that the wounds of terror and war may heal, and that, given time, we may one day place both in the distant past.

With much appreciation,

-Madeline Thatcher
Prime Minister
His Majesty Michael the First, by the Grace of God, King of Tytor and her Colonies, and Lord Protector of Floodwater

Factbook -- News -- Press Office

Former Governor-General of The Infinite Alliance
Former Ambassador to Albion and the Global Right Alliance
Former Vice Premier and Speaker of the Senate of the Independent Order
Professional Procrastinator

Non-partisan and proud of it

"A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 01:05:59 AM »
The Royal Theatre in Valtheim was no stranger to large scale events, if the most logistically challenging period of time was the lengthy Edelweiss Festival then Memorial Day was a strong contender for the most challenging one off event to host. The reason was very simple the number of people involved in the occasion itself there were numerous members of the Achkaerinese Armed Forces, then the veterans, the non military involved in the ceremony and so on. The audience also threw up challenges a high profile event like this had a lot of big names both foreign and domestic turning up to it, security had to be very tight and so it was. The welcoming committee for the overseas guests was Renee Azurewind, the wife of the Emperor, Duchess of Rosemoor, officially titled as a Princess could easily be called Empress, but wasn't the monarch so wasn't conventionally referred to in that way. Normally an event on Achkaerinese soil would have seen her and her husband standing side by side to do the meet and greet but Memorial Day was a little different as the Emperor played a large role in the ceremony so he had to be backstage at this point doing the final checks on the sound and such. She checked her red poppy on her dress as the sound of the cars outside signaled the arrival of international guests.

OOC - if you've not already replied you can still turn up I'll try and get everyone seated before I move to the ceremony.

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2020, 09:14:09 PM »
The Memorial Day commemoration in Achkaerin was usually an event the ambassador to that nation would deal with, this year however was different, this year it marked the anniversary of East Moreland and Achkaerin's involvment in a variety of military operations and thus it had been felt that if only for this year a more significant delegation would be needed. That responsibility fell to Princess Freya and her husband Alex Redfern who as well as being related to King David both held significant military rank. Freya was a Major in the 2nd Light Scouts while her husband held the same rank in East Moreland's prestigious Red Legion. Both were wearing their military uniform, the black jacket of the Scouts and of course the bright red of the Legion with Redfern just grateful he didn't have to wear the silver breast plate. For Redfern it was the first ride in the Ironside One and he had to say it was worlds apart from the old one which gave you just a few meters of strolling distance with sleeping in the main cabin the only place for a nap. Now the thing had several bedrooms and even a bathtub.

At the arrival the pair sought out Renee and introduced themselves. "Princess Renee" Freya greeted her first. "Thank you for extending our invitation. We've seen this previously on TV but are both looking forward to seeing it ourselves" she explained.

Offline Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
  • Boldly staying where everyone has gone before
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: The Empire of DaitoTIO
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2020, 06:45:00 PM »
The Akhan A72, codenamed "Dragon" by the Esat, roared across the Great Northern Ocean, having refueled mid-flight while over Cotf Aranye. Aboard were the Emperor of Ikhan, Arkan VI, and his family as well as the family of the late Aren Vakai and Free Army veteran Erel Katsan, who were to attend the memorial day ceremony in Achkaerin that was to mark the 75th anniversary of the end of the war. Soon enough, it would be arriving in the capital of Achkaerin, though that was yet to come.
            "How long did you say it was until we reach Valtheim?" Arkan asked one of the attendants aboard as he looked out of the window; This was to be quite the important occasion, after all.
            "About 25 minutes, your Lordship." The attendant said with a short bow before returning to their duties.
            "Twenty-five minutes..." Arkan sighed, after all, this was to be the first time that he had actually visited the country proper. Sure, he had been to it's Ardian holdings in the past, back before he became Emperor (having frequently sailed in the Rokkenjiman sea when he was younger), but this was completely different. "...Time to see how our northern compatriots will greet us." He muttered; it was obvious he was nervous, after all, since his enthronement he hadn't made any foreign trips yet.
            "You'll be fine. If dad could handle it, then you can too." Misko, his sister, said as she took a seat across from him. Under the previous previous administration, she had been assigned to the Embassy in Rokkenjima, though she was granted leave for this occasion.
            "That's easy for you to say." Esik nodded, though he didn't fully agree. "After all, you're the diplomat of the family. This is your job."
            "You didn't do too bad yourself, back when you went to Rokkenjima." Misko replied, following this up with "Just relax. Be yourself."
            "You're right... You're right." Esik said with a sigh; he may not be ready, but perhaps that could prove to be a good thing. He just needed to show that he was like everyone else. That he wasn't so distant from the lives of those around him.

Not too much later, the aircraft arrived in Valtheim, and with it the journey had reached it's end. After a few minutes, wherein the onboard detachment of the Imperial Guard and the Esat had moved to secure the aircraft as was standard procedure, the occupants would disembark. The Emperor would, once that was done, seek out Renee in order to thank her for the invitation.
            "Your Majesty." He bowed in respect. "Thank you for the... invitation. I apologize for what may seem like unnecessary security precautions on the part of my guards, but we simply cannot be too careful these days, I hope you understand." He said in a similarly respectful tone; he hadn't wished to inconvenience his host too much. "In any case, I must say that it is truly a shame we haven't been present here in many, many years."

Offline Dijel

• Basically New Zealand
  • Here we go again, baby!
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: The Republic of Kaedwen // The Commonwealth of Merina
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2020, 10:20:56 PM »
Ronan Vallerius; Royal Theatre, Valtheim, Achkaerin

Following, quite literally, in the footsteps of royalty, Ronan could have forgiven himself for feeling more than a little out of place. Not all those many years ago, in the days of the CIS, he still remembered speaking alongside the Achkaerinese Emperor Peter and East Moreland's King David, though his former life as an international statesman was beginning to feel increasingly distant. Nevertheless, he still had friends here, and attending remembrance in Valtheim felt as much at home as did his new accommodation on the outskirts of Belmont, Kaedwen. The old Dijeli sighed internally with relief as he and his companion, the broad-shouldered and genial frame of Sir Roland Sto Heilat, were admitted through security and made for the main entrance behind the Ikhani party.

"Bringing back the memories, eh?" Sir Roland chuckled as Ronan fussed over the little red poppy pinned to his lapel.

"All of them" Ronan smiled back, weakly "Feels like I'm dreaming... in the best possible way"

Once inside, the pair hung back at a respectful distance while the Ikhani Emperor was ushered to his seat, before greeting the Achkaerinese Princess. Ronan wondered for a moment if she'd recognize him - it'd been years now since they'd last spoken, and those years had apparently been far kinder to her than to him - though Sir Roland had spent his time with the CIS moving in the right social circles, and was at any rate a damn side harder to forget. They spotted their opening.

"My lady" The big man swept a surprisingly graceful bow "It is good to see you again"

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2020, 12:43:24 AM »
On most diplomatic occasions there was a sort of running joke about whether any wagers had been made about who'd turn up first, such was the legendary punctuality of the Morelander's and sure enough it was Freya and Alex first through the door and looking as smart as would befit the occasion Renee smiled "I thank you for coming Your Highness." she said in response to Freya's greeting "And I hope that you find it a fulfilling evening." she was perhaps being a little too careful with her words, constantly reminding herself of the nature of the occasion, she introduced the Morelander party to one of the Achkaerinese military cadets who was perhaps a little surprised to have the honour of showing Freya and Alex to their seats, it was greatly understood that Achkaerin viewed East Moreland as its most significant ally on the world stage after all, though Renee wasn't sure whether it was the fact that it was the Morelander's or if it was the Red Legion uniform that was surprising the cadet, but he quickly regained his composure and showed the Morelander's to their seats.

Renee now turned her attention to the Ikhan delegation, a nation she wasn't that familiar with, she smiled after the Emperor's greeting "Thank you for coming." she said, she didn't comment on the presence of security personnel even if she viewed them as unnecessary this was after all a building that contained at that moment several very prominent leadership figures from different nations, some of the best trained military personnel in the world including one from East Moreland's Red Legion, but if the Ikhan Emperor wanted to turn up with his own security that was fair enough. She handed them over to a cadet to be seated.

And then came the surprise of the night, Ronan Vallerius and Sir Roland Sto Heliat, Renee was grinning so broadly that she momentarily dispensed with diplomatic protocol and hugged the pair of them one after the other, it was quite fitting that considering one of the anniversaries that night involved the CIS that by virtue of this surprise all the CIS nations from that time were represented in the theatre. "What time do you call this?" she joked "You don't write, you don't call, you don't arrange a rugby match..." she trailed off for a moment to wave a cadet over "This cadet will show you to your seats and Princess Freya is in attendance and I'm sure they'll be pleased to see you. And thank you for coming"

A few minutes later it was time for the festival of remembrance to begin, the people were in their seats, the orchestra of the Rockmount Rifle regiment was in position, the oval shaped floor arena was empty save for the standard bearers stood around the perimeter, the standards were those of each of the Achkaerinese army regiments and corps, each Achkaerinese naval vessel, each Achkaerinese Air Force squadron and then also the Scout and Guiding associations. The end of the oval nearest the Navy's orchestra had a stage on it with a podium, there was silence as the Achkaerinese Emperor Peter Azurewind made his way out from the wings and stood at the bottom of the stage steps, he wore a black suit, the red poppy on one lapel and his two military medals the Djana Cross and the Hermione Leonidas Order pinned on the jacket pocket. He glanced over his shoulder and nodded to the conductor, a moment later the orchestra struck up with their instrumental as the music played the standards paraded around the the edge of the oval to the tip opposite Peter and then in two lines marched the length of the oval, up onto the stage and then up into an area behind the orchestra. As the first standards approach Peter he saluted them and held the salute until the final standard had passed by him then dropping his hand he turned sharply on the spot and followed the standards, though he would only follow them up onto the stage and not further than that.

There was polite applause for the orchestra as Amelia Whitaker made her way to the podium. She took a deep breath before she spoke "Your Majesty, Your Royal Highness's, Lords, Ladies and Gentlemen." Amelia said "On this day seventy five years ago, the world stepped into a time of peace, after many years of relentless bloodshed and terrible suffering, the armistice had been signed, the guns had fallen silent and the eleventh day of the eleventh month would become our prime symbol, our prime emblem of peace and remembrance. Tonight we will remember all those whose lives were touched by those years of dreadful conflict, we give thanks for the sacrifices they made and we pay tribute to their contribution on the long and very costly road to peace. We also pay tribute to those who have continued to serve and make the same sacrifices in more recent times, 2020 marks not only the seventy fifth anniversary of the end of the Great War but also the fifth anniversary of the Seaforth Eugenics War and the Marseilles Crisis. And to begin our tributes tonight, please welcome Seaforth's Lindsey Stirling."

There had been a concerted desire on the part of the Achkaerinese organizers to include the more recent conflicts in this and beginning with Seaforth's best known musical export was a good idea, the violin music became the only sound in the theatre and when she finished attention went to the two big screens behind the stage as a video played, it was of several Achkaerinese soldiers speaking about those recent conflicts:

Major Fleur Mishima: "I don't think I've ever been more proud to be a member of the Achkaerinese Armoured Corps than I was during the battle of St Catherine's in Seaforth, the whole counter offensive from the Seaforth Catholic Church relied on them being able to push us away from St Catherine's and keep us pinned in the south which they couldn't do because we along with our Dijeli friends wouldn't let them. From an Achkaerinese point of view that was the single bloodiest day since the Great War, I saw friends die, both under our flag, the Dijel flag, the Morelander flag and the Seaforthian flag they were our brothers and our sisters and their names, I'll never forget them."

Flight Lieutenant Hannah Nikaido: "I think the events in Marseilles are the ones that will stay with me more vividly than other actions I've been involved in, to know your fighting an enemy that has a similar capability to your own usually means you're going to be fighting hard for aerial supremacy and when you're up in the skies with just your wingman for company it can seem lonely but when you know there's more behind you than that, that you've got the support of a lot of nations on the ground, working together...that kind of thing it gives you hope for the future."

Lt Colonel Sebastian Brandt: "It was a bad time whether you served in Seaforth, Marseilles or both and you know going in it's not going to be a particularly good thing but you also know that to not stand up against what on both counts was terrorism, to not say 'no' was not and never can be an option. We do what we do to protect people, to honour those that did the job before we did, to ensure that the words 'never again' mean exactly that."

Major Sapyiat Kaltev: "I remember being the first on the scene after the SCC massacred the inhabitants of Halsteads. We were pushing to Halifax, thanks to all the sacrifices made we'd managed to shift the momentum completely to our way, the war was almost over and we came across this village full of the dead. We got called hero's for cutting them down from the tree in the centre of the village and giving them a proper burial. I never felt comfortable with being referred to like that, but then my foster daughter reminded me of why she calls me her hero, because I showed up when no one else did. The more I thought about that the more I look at what servicemen and servicewomen do and I see plenty of that, people remember something as simple as you showing up, as you doing a good deed, the act is never forgotten. I won't forget those I've served with, those that gave their lives or what they gave their lives for."

As the video ended attention turned back to the stage in the theatre where now clad in a blue dress stood Phoebe Wolfe, known as the Queen of Songs in the Namist faith, she began to sing The Call, and as she did so two lines of Achkaerinese Army personnel walked out of the central entrance to the theatre and down into the oval where they formed a guard of honour, taking steps respectively to the left and right. Then when Phoebe had finished singing Amelia smiled.

"Ladies and gentlemen please welcome the Torch of Remembrance carried this year by Sergeant Bridget Portman of the Aelmoor Watch and our citation officer Captain Sam Venables of the Wyvern Legion accompanied by veterans of the Great War." Amelia said, the group she'd announced now walked into the oval and between the ranks of the honour guard up to the stage to the acknowledging applause of the audience. When the applause died down Sam stepped forwards and read from the paper he'd been given.

"They came from our village went to our school they came from factory and farm from city streets down long country lanes across wide wide seas from all corners of Mundus, they came because country called because they knew it had to be done that unless they went to fight there could be no peace and still today they come forward our soldiers, our sailors, our airmen and women seventy five years on they come carrying the torch for freedom, our freedom. We owe them all of them then and now our thanks our deepest thanks, but more than that we owe them this assurance that we will continue to care for all those brave men and women and families of our forces who need our support that we will continue to hold high the torch of freedom and make the best of the peace they have given us." Sam spoke before he led the group up to their seats, Bridget followed behind them after securing the Torch to a stand.

"As always." Amelia said continuing the ceremony "We are honoured to have veterans of the Great War with us tonight and also those veterans of more recent conflicts, we mark tonight the great work that is done to care for veterans of war across Mundus whether it be found in East Moreland's Legionnaire Legacy, Seaforth's military hospitals, Rokkenjima's military hospitals or the many others I could name and of course our own Legacy Foundation right here. So please give our traditional and warm welcome to the veterans of conflicts past." as she finished speaking the orchestra played again and now the veterans group of the Great War and more recent conflicts, some retired and others wounded walked the same path that the previous group had just moments earlier getting the traditional rhythmical clap from the audience in acknowledgement. They walked up to the stage and then up to their seats behind the orchestra.

When the veterans were in their seats and the honour guard had disbanded Amelia took another deep breath before continuing "In the years after the Great War came the need for new ways of Remembrance both on a national and local level, not only formal memorials but also memorial gardens, hospitals, buildings, even some ships across Mundus bear the names of those we must not forget. They were and are based on a very clear principle, remembrance is not an option it is a duty. Five years ago over the course of several conflicts the soldiers of several nations stood shoulder to shoulder and many lives were lost, at this time we have some families who would like to pay their tribute to their loved ones."

Attention now switched back to the big screens where a group of families talked about their loved ones that had been killed in those recent conflicts, it really was an important part of the evening's events to know that these weren't just names and ranks on a list but that each of them had a story, who were they really? Who had they loved? Where had they gone to school? What had they wanted to do? Then with that video over Amelia held a moment of silence before nodding to the conductor who started up the solemn music of the next part of the festival "Please welcome the families of the fallen." Amelia said, the families were applauded as they walked in and across the oval to seats behind the orchestra, Peter by now had once again positioned himself at the bottom of the steps the Emperor had made a habit out of personally communicating and writing to each family that had someone in the armed forces who was either wounded or killed in action, he nodded to each family as they passed by.

Amelia took to the podium once again "In all the years of fighting in the Great War, and conflicts since, those that fought relied heavily on the support and comradeship of their fellow soldiers people from nations across the world fought side by side, millions of soldiers were raised from across those nations for military service many of them young men."

The spotlight now came up on the figure of Amelia's father, Arthur Whitaker who stood in the middle of the oval. "Anthem for Doomed Youth by Wilfred Owen." Arthur said "What passing-bells for these who die as cattle? Only the monstrous anger of the guns. Only the stuttering rifles' rapid rattle can patter out their hasty orisons. No mockeries now for them; no prayers nor bells; nor any voice of mourning save the choirs,— the shrill, demented choirs of wailing shells; and bugles calling for them from sad shires. What candles may be held to speed them all? Not in the hands of boys, but in their eyes shall shine the holy glimmers of goodbyes. The pallor of girls' brows shall be their pall; their flowers the tenderness of patient minds, and each slow dusk a drawing-down of blinds."

Another spotlight came up this time on a serving Achkaerinese soldier Corporal Maisie Adams, she was a medic as evidence by the armband on her sleeve that bore the red cross "From epitaphs of the War by Rudyard Kipling." Maisie said "From little towns in a far land we came to save our honour and a world aflame, by little towns in a far land we sleep and trust that world we won for you to keep." as she finished speaking the words 'Lest we Forget' appeared with a poppy on the screens.

After a moment Amelia spoke again "As year follows year there are fewer and fewer people who can tell us about the Great War from their own experiences but their voices live on in the letters they wrote home to their loved ones, the citations they received in official documents and the stories passed down through the generations." she said "Ladies and Gentlemen would you please stand as we give thanks for the word and sacrifice of the Great War generation, those who made it possible for us to live our lives in peace." everyone stood as a small group comprising military and civilians walked into the oval, as a slow melancholic piece of music was played, each of them carrying a black and white photograph of one of the Great War fallen, everyone in the audience also had one such photograph with the name, rank and posting on the back of it each of them were asked in the evening's program to hold the photograph up at this point as the group in the oval formed a circle facing outwards.

"Thank you." Amelia said a few moments later indicating that people could be seated "We start our preparations for the service of remembrance with the drum laying, the creation of a drum altar, a practice more often found on the battlefields of wars long ago." while she'd been speaking the oval had once again been cleared and now carrying his guitar all the way from Lodja Jack Azurewind, the Emperor's nephew stepped onto the stage and began to play and sing The Last Goodbye. As he sang the drums were carried in onto a smaller circular stage that had been moved into the oval, those servicemen carrying the drums laid them in position building the drumhead as it was called when the drums were in position Peter stepped down to where the drumhead was to perform his next duty - first receiving the flags, normally there were two the Achkaerinese flag and then the flag belonging to one of the Achkaerinese regiments, this year however there were three, from three different entrances all in Peter's eyeline the flags were brought in carried by military personnel, the Achkaerinese flag, the flag of the CIS and then the flag of the CTO the three flags covered the events being marked that evening. Peter placed the CTO flag first having to lay it horizontal, there had been a lot of discussion over how they were going to accomplish this, he then laid the Achkaerinese and CIS flags in the usual manner before turning to look at the opposite end of the oval where the senior officer on parade Captain Sarah Culshaw was approaching carrying the book of Remembrance a white leather bound book with a poppy on the front of it, it contained the names of the fallen, Sarah handed the book to Peter and then took three steps backwards while the Emperor placed the book atop the drums before turning back to the Captain as Jack finished singing.

Sarah looked at Peter and saluted him, he returned it "Your Majesty." Sarah said her voice becoming louder in the silent theatre "Permission to begin the muster?"
"Permission granted." Peter said nodding
"Sergeant Major." Sarah said to the orchestra's conductor "Begin the muster."

"Ladies and gentlemen." Amelia said "We begin the muster with the Army this year drawn from the Aelmoor Watch." as she finished the orchestra began playing the Aelmoor Watch's march the Flower of Aelmoor, as they played the members of the Aelmoor Watch all in their midnight blue dress uniforms marched in they were in two lines, normal procedure would have been for the soldiers to use both arms while marching but in the case of the Aelmoor Watch this was relaxed for one reason, the number of Cult of Helus followers on parade meant that there were plenty of swords so it was either one arm gripping the sword hilt and the other making the marching motion. When the lines reached close to where Peter was still standing in front of the drums they split off left and right and formed the first ranks. "The Navy." Amelia said, the march changed to the Navy's as the selected personnel this year from the INS Angel marched in, they formed up behind the Army personnel "The Air Force." Amelia said once again the music changed this time to the Air Force march. All the way through the audience had been rhythmically clapping again it was something encouraged as it helped those on parade keep time. "The Scouting and civilian services." Amelia said now the music changed again, this time to the instrumental of the scouting organisation which they were using this year to cover the final group of people who marched in but they took position to the left and right hand sides of the drumhead not as part of the military block.

Now the High Priestess of the Cult of Namis Alexis Minette made her way up the aisle between the massed ranks of Achkaerinese military personnel as the service of remembrance got underway with the singing of Edelweiss, it was the traditional opening to this part of the night. As for Alexis, as High Priestess she would normally seen on such official occasions wearing the white and gold robes of her office but this was the one exception she made to that, choosing instead to wear her chaplain's uniform jacket from her days in the military with a white and gold stoll to signify her office.

"Ladies and Gentlemen." Amelia said "The service of Remembrance is administered by the High Priestess of the Cult of Namis however it is a non-denominational service, if you feel able to participate please feel free to do so." Alexis took centre stage now and looked around for moment settling herself before beginning.

"On this seventy fifth anniversary of the end of the Great War, we gather together to remember with thanksgiving and sorrow all those whose lives have been given and taken away in the cause of justice and freedom." Alexis said "We pray to for all who continue to suffer the consequences of fighting and terror, especially through bereavement, disability and pain we pray for all those across Mundus who support them. Creators of all things we commit to your care those of every belief, religion, race and sexuality who serve together in the Armed Forces, Governments and legislatures. And we commit ourselves young and old to work in penitence and faith for reconciliation between the nations of our troubled world. Please grant us a renewed spirit of respect for one another and unite us all in love, enable us to build harmony in our families, in our communities and the world. And so guide our paths and lead us in the ways of righteousness that our lives may speak of your justice and mercy, now and forever." she paused to indicate the end of the prayer.

Now three guests stepped onto the stage and they were fitting choices considering the occasion first Kira Falstaff, the one time Seaforthian ambassador to the CIS, then there was the Duchess of Aquitaine Daniele Aveline and finally Jacques Papin the first President of Marseilles a man credited with having played a substantial part in the ending of the Sorority's hold over his country, he wasn't in power anymore but he was a welcome guest.

"Aftermath by Siegfried Sassoon." Kira said "Have you forgotten yet?... For the world's events have rumbled on since those gagged days, like traffic checked while at the crossing of city-ways: and the haunted gap in your mind has filled with thoughts that flow like clouds in the lit heaven of life; and you're a man reprieved to go, taking your peaceful share of Time, with joy to spare. But the past is just the same--and War's a bloody game... Have you forgotten yet?...Look down, and swear by the slain of the War that you'll never forget."

"Do you remember the dark months you held the sector at Mametz-- the nights you watched and wired and dug and piled sandbags on parapets? Do you remember the rats; and the stench of corpses rotting in front of the front-line trench-- and dawn coming, dirty-white, and chill with a hopeless rain? Do you ever stop and ask, 'Is it all going to happen again?'" Jacques said

"Do you remember that hour of din before the attack--and the anger, the blind compassion that seized and shook you then as you peered at the doomed and haggard faces of your men? Do you remember the stretcher-cases lurching back with dying eyes and lolling heads--those ashen-grey masks of the lads who once were keen and kind and gay?" Daniele said "Have you forgotten yet?...Look up, and swear by the green of the spring that you'll never forget."

Down in front of the drums Peter took a deep breath this was in truth to him the most important engagement on his calendar, it ranked to him higher than the Covenant Address and that was saying something, while the attention had been on the stage some logistical things had been taken care of down at the drumhead, the carriers of the three flags were back and now standing in front of the Emperor with the flags back in their hands and raised, Peter looked around and then straight ahead as the audience stood again "They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old. Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn." he said "At the going down of the sun and in the morning we will remember them."

"We will remember them." came the response, firm and assertive. The Last Post and Reveille would bookend the two minutes silence, no sooner had the bugles sounded The Last Post than the standards were all lowered as the poppies rained down from the ceiling onto those in the theatre, some rested on the head dresses of the various assembled military personnel others dropped to the floor and as always some covered the drum altar. When the Reveille sounded the standards were raised.

Peter took one last deep breath, they were nearly finished and this was signaled by the approaching of two high school students, one male and one female, they came and stood in front of him while Alexis moved down to the drum altar with Phoebe who brought with her the Torch of Remembrance.
"When you go home tell them of us and say." Peter said "For your tomorrow we gave our today."

That was the cue for the traditional conclusion to the act of remembrance the Achkaerinese National Anthem I Vow to Thee My Country was played and sung, while it was sung Alexis handed Peter the book of Remembrance and Peter in turn presented the book to the high school girl, the process was then repeated with Torch except that it was Phoebe handing the Torch to Peter and it was the high school boy to whom Peter was giving the Torch when that was done Alexis and Phoebe walked around to stand either side of Peter as the anthem ended.

"May the Spirit of peace provide us with every good thing we need in order to do its will, may it grant light to guide us, courage to support us and love to unite us and may it bless us all now and evermore." Alexis said "Go in Peace." she bowed her head to indicate the festival was over and as some appropriate music was played the high school children as was tradition led the way out of the theatre, why were they involved? It was the symbolism of passing the baton to the next generation the reason why year after year these events were remembered, the children were followed by first the Achkaerinese flag then Peter, Alexis and Phoebe with the CIS and CTO flags just behind them then came Sarah giving the gesture for the orderly procession of personnel on parade out of the theatre.

All in all it had been a good evening so far now the Emperor would make his way to the Royal Lounge in the theatre it was a room always set aside if there was to be a reception for VIP's on a night like tonight. It was only when Renee caught up to him in the lounge that Peter found out that they had all four of the CIS nations from five years ago in the room and that meant a great deal to him.