Author Topic: Website outage  (Read 1490 times)

Offline CGJ

• Vice Chancellor
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Dartfordia
Website outage
« on: January 28, 2020, 10:04:16 PM »
Hi all,

As most of you will be aware, we suffered a major multi-day outage this week. As the administrator (and it is literally my only job here) I wanted to be open and transparent about what happened, why, and what’s now in place.

To be clear: this was in no way related to a hack or data breach; no personal data has been affected by this week’s events.

So, what happened?

For my current employer, we are holding a conference and I volunteered to run the website. The website is hosted on the same account as TIO. Tickets for this event were released yesterday.

We had very high demand on the website from approx 10:50 onwards. Despite having used the hosting provider for almost 10 years, I'd never experienced the (still relatively low compared to what Glastonbury gets!) demand that the ticket registration generated. The website hosting plan, which cost about £4 a month, was not enough.

During frantic discussions with the hosting provider, we moved to a dedicated hosting platform at a slightly higher cost of $20 per month. Credit to the support team who did this in about half an hour.

All should be back to normal. There was a teething error as I had to point some of the internal addresses to new places as the paths had changed.

So once again apologies for the inconvenience. Please let me know if you notice any new issues.

Thanks,
C
The Most Honourable Marquess CGJ
Vice Chancellor

Dartfordia: TIOwiki - Politics - Flags - Armed Forces