Author Topic: Ostlake Movie Awards 2020  (Read 2702 times)

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
Ostlake Movie Awards 2020
« on: February 01, 2020, 09:46:13 PM »
THE OSTLAKE FILM FESTIVAL AWARDS 2020

The Ostlake Film Awards now mark the 5th year of international involvement.  The growing global nature of the awards is a great success and so this year the continued involvement of Mundus is expanding once more with the inclusion of the Best Animated Short category.

As with last year nominations will be open until the 19 th of February at which point voting will begin with the winner announced on the 28th in a glittering award ceremony hosted in Ostlake.

We look forward to welcoming you all soon

Krista Rosendahl-Sunberg  & 2Cellos
Hosts of the "Ossies" 2019

OOC - OK This is how it works there are various categories that people can enter with rules for each. You fill in your form, post your nominations and then a poll will be created to determine the winner of each category. Try and keep your nominations culturally relevant, so for example I wouldn't expect Nya Aland to be nominating a Bollywood film or soundtrack. I may have also missed some past nominations where people have claimed things. Also don't think about claiming whole studios.

BEST INTERNATIONAL FILM

You can nominate any film from the last 10 years, it must have been released so for example can't be Titanic 2:- Return of Jack.It can be in any language, genre etc. You may not claim whole movie studios but you may claim a single franchise, so in the past I believe Dartfordia had one of the Harry Potter films meaning the whole Harry Potter franchise is Dartfordian, this however doesn't mean they own the whole of Warner Brother. In terms of cross over stuff like Marvel by claiming say Iron Man, you don't then get the whole Marvel world.

Each nation may nominate two films using the form below, please check what was claimed last year (if the person nominating has since left I'm freeing up the stuff they claimed), also if in terms of news posts someone has claimed a film that someone nominates could they please POLITELY tell them and post a link to where. I've also updated the "What's Gone" list and removed those who have left. Thank you.

What's Gone

Achkaerin - Avengers
Achkaerin - LaLa Land
Achkaerin - Hunger Games
Achkaerin - Star Trek
Achkaerin - James Bond
Achkaerin - X-Men
Achkaerin - Peter Pan
Achkaerin - Lord of The Rings and therefore also The Hobbit
Dartfordia -Frozen
Dartfordia - Harry Potter
East Moreland - Star Wars I inadvertently claimed it here however I think, but have not been able to find otherwise that someone pre-dates that claim, if someone can find it I'll relinquish the claim otherwise WOOHOO!!!

If I've missed any someone let me know

Name of Film
Genre
Nation
Brief Outline
Link to the trailer

In terms of trailers please use legal ones.

BEST INTERNATIONAL SHORT FILM

Time to randomly watch YouTube Stuff. You may nominate any Short Film (classed as less than 6 minutes), by that I mean the whole film, it can't be a kickass six minute section from a longer film. It must be legally viewable on YouTube.

You may nominate up to three films. I'm also aware we have a few YouTube video makers in the region and there would be no barrier to you nominating your own stuff or making something for this, in fact in my opinion I'd be voting for you for sure.

Name of Film
Genre
Nation
Brief Outline
Link to the trailer

BEST INTERNATIONAL SONG FEATURED IN A MOTION PICTURE

Basically you may nominate one song from a motion picture. It can even be from a film claimed by another nation because I mean in RL you get people from outside America doing stuff for Disney, what I will say however is if the artists has already been claimed then its off limits and I'll rely on people POLITELY pointing it out. So for example if The Who had done a song for say James Bond as I've claimed The Who no one other than me could use them. I hope that makes sense. Usual rules about posting YouTube applies. Instrumentals are permitted

Name of Artist
Nation Nominating
Song
From the Film
YouTube link

BEST INTERNATIONAL DOCUMENTARY

Essentially it could be anything from a historical documentary to a science talk. If it's factual, cool or interesting then it can be entered. Only two rules 1) No longer than 10minutes 2) Must not break YouTube terms and conditions.

Name of Documentary
Nation Nominating
Topic Covered
From the Film
YouTube link

BEST ANIMATED SHORT

Can be any type of animation but may not last longer than 5mins.

Name of Animated Short
Nation Nominating
YouTube link

Offline Tytor

• Regional Power
  • All the world's a stage...
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Tytor
Re: Ostlake Movie Awards 2020
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 02:12:07 AM »
For Best International Film
Title: A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood
Genre: Drama
Nation: Tytor
Outline: "Tom Hanks portrays Mister Rogers in A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, a timely story of kindness triumphing over cynicism, based on the true story of a real-life friendship between Fred Rogers and journalist Tom Junod. After a jaded magazine writer (Matthew Rhys) is assigned a profile of Fred Rogers, he overcomes his skepticism, learning about kindness, love and forgiveness from Tytor's most beloved neighbor."
Trailer: Linky

Title: Little Women
Genre: Drama
Outline: "Writer-director Greta Gerwig has crafted a Little Women that draws on both the classic novel and the writings of Louisa May Alcott, and unfolds as the author’s alter ego, Jo March, reflects back and forth on her fictional life.  In Gerwig’s take, the beloved story of the March sisters – four young women each determined to live life on her own terms --  is both timeless and timely."
Trailer: Linky

For Best International Short Film
Title: Wings
Genre: Fantasy (?)
Outline: "In this story of kindness, friendship, and the fear of being left behind, a friendship takes flight as a mouse that wants to fly and an injured bird cross paths."
Link: Linky
(Note: Would be under Best Animated Short, but it's just a minute too long.)

OOC Note: The following are films and film franchises claimed as Tytorian from previous Ozzies and other sources:

The Truman Show
Gravity
The Incredibles
Zootopia
Hotel Rwanda (as "Hotel Ubakasa")
The Lego Movie
How to Train Your Dragon
His Majesty Michael the First, by the Grace of God, King of Tytor and her Colonies, and Lord Protector of Floodwater

Factbook -- News -- Press Office

Former Governor-General of The Infinite Alliance
Former Ambassador to Albion and the Global Right Alliance
Former Vice Premier and Speaker of the Senate of the Independent Order
Professional Procrastinator

Non-partisan and proud of it

"A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 05:17:47 PM »
Best International Film

Title: Star Trek: Rogue
Genre: Science Fiction
Nation: Achkaerin
Outline: 2412: When Jean-Luc Picard disappears during a Romulan incursion into Federation territory the great man is accused of treason, a position made all the more believable when a subsequent Romulan attack puts Picard in the Captain's chair of the warbird carrying out the assault! Deciding there is no choice other than to hunt down their most esteemed Captain Starfleet sends the USS Dauntless under the command of Captain Emma Thrace and her handpicked crew after him with orders to eliminate the threat. However when the estranged daughter of the ships XO, a survivor of the attack, gives a different version of the story the crew of the Dauntless find themselves caught in a dangerous game where one false move could be their last as they try to determine whether Picard is a rogue or not.

The film follows the efforts of the crew of the USS Dauntless as they first investigate and then set out to rescue Picard, a task hard for the Captain who was raised by Picard, culminating in a daring raid on the Tal'Shiar's headquarters and an all or nothing space battle as they make their escape. When the mission is accomplished there is a  poignant passing of the torch moment as the Dauntless takes on the mantle with a new name - USS Enterprise.

(OOC Disclaimer: I ran the news story on this before the tv show Picard came out so for the purposes of Mundus Star Trek as Ach owns the franchise the show Picard does not exist on Mundus yet)

Title: Pokémon: Amy's Quest
Genre: Children's/Animation/Adventure
Outline: Set years after the television series meet Amy who sets out on her Pokémon journey but this is no run around the gym's, she's setting out to solve the great mysteries of the Pokémon world and to find her father who hasn't been heard from for a few years having disappeared suddenly. She'll make friends, she'll capture Pokémon and she'll face powerful opponents.

Best International Short Film

Title: Lego Bowling
Genre: Animation
Outline: Jimmy and his dad go bowling in Lego City. Who's gonna win? (This film won the Achkaerinese High School's national animation competition and the prize is an Ozzie nomination. The film was made by students of Eccles Street High School, Elsion)
Link: Link

Best International Song Featured in a Motion Picture

Name of Artist: Cassidy Raven
Nation Nominating: Achkaerin
Song: Blue Skies
From the Film: Star Trek: Rogue (RL it's from Star Trek: Nemesis)
YouTube link: Link

Best International Documentary

Name of Documentary: What's Next for Space Exploration?
Topic Covered: What the next step for space exploration is following the moon

Best Animated Short

Name of Animated Short: Piper
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 10:19:17 PM by Achkaerin »

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Samantra
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 05:32:24 PM »
A scene from the movie "A time of Darkness" showing the USR flag during the Soviet occupation of Clysperis

Name of Film: A time of Darkness

Genre: Historical (the Soviet occupation of Clysperis)

Nation: Empire of Tamora

Brief Outline: The movie made by Samira Hanifnejad, Tamora’s most acclaimed filmmaker whom also won an Ozzie last year for her movie Silence. A time of Darkness details life in Clysperis under the Soviet occupation (1949-1977) as seen through the eyes of children living in the country trying to convey the viewers the sense of helplessness ordinary Clsyperi were feeling as the events unfolded and the country was occupied by the massive USR. As in previous movies, Samira Hanifnejad makes use of black and white rather than color to better to make the viewer more in touch with the events taking place. The movies shows the brutality of the Soviet regime, the systematic attempt to destroy the culture and religion of Clysperis and ends with the eventual arrival of the Tamoran troops and the beginning of the Tamoran protectorate of Clysperis (which lasted between 1977-1982). The movie enjoyed a massive success in Tamora and also ranked first in boxoffice of Abuqiya. 

Link to the trailer: The movie is not based off a RL one, here is the trailer as it was originally posted in the news section.

Spoiler: A time of darkness trailer • show

The first moments show an early XX century train making its way along the empty country side.

The camera moves showing two children who are both defenseless and do not comprehend what is happening. “Perhaps we are too small to even make a footnote in the history books.”

As the train moves in front of them, it becomes clear that it carries Soviet(USR) tanks.

Then an imagine from the train shows Stalin( the leader of the USR) looking through the window not noticing the kids.
“… a history written by others from a foreign land.”

The clip then shows countless war planes filling the sky and solders running behind the scared children.
“… a history most unfair to us.”

The picture returns to the train and it shows carts filled with gold.
“They stripped us of our wealth.”

Then a new train is showing carrying the USR flag, political slogans written in Cyrillic alphabet.
“… and in “return” for that wealth they gave us a new language and a new ideology so that we felt strangers in our own country.”

Another train is then shown passing by.
“So it is no wonder that the ones that could get away did…”

“..until they took even that away from us by turning our country into a prison.”

(The last moments show one last train arriving, this time no Soviet symbols are present. Unlike the other trains this one stops, a woman dressed in traditional Tamoran garments and hijab motions to the children to approach her).
“…but we survived and eventually Divinity listened to our prayers."

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2020, 08:13:44 PM »
OOC - Nominations close next Saturday 15th Feb. Voting shall open then.

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2020, 09:17:00 PM »
Nominations are now closed.