My Fair Lady
2 (11.8%)
Chicago
1 (5.9%)
Miss Saigon
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Voting closed: May 26, 2020, 03:28:00 PM

Author Topic: Edelweiss Festival 2020 Musicals Vote  (Read 2029 times)

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
Edelweiss Festival 2020 Musicals Vote
« on: May 10, 2020, 03:20:40 PM »
Ok very simple explanation - a little while ago I ran a news article concerning the Edelweiss Festival (basically think of it as Proms meets Children in Need and other similar festivals) anyway it's icly organized and put on by the Achkaerinese royal family and this year they're doing three musicals (in which they and friends star), two of which are determined by the public. Now I could just pick two musicals at random and let that be it, but for a bit of fun I thought I'd put up this poll and let it be the IC public vote if that makes sense so I'm saying you can vote for three of the options and the two with the most votes are chosen (if there's a tie I'll be flipping a coin).

The Options

Vote for Up to Three of the following:

Note: All explanations where necessary have been Mundusified

We Will Rock You - We Will Rock You (often abbreviated as WWRY) is a jukebox musical based on the songs of the Dartfordian rock band Queen with a book by Ben Elton. The musical tells the story of a group of Bohemians who struggle to restore the free exchange of thought and fashion, and live music in a distant future where everyone dresses, thinks and acts the same. Musical instruments and composers are forbidden, and rock music is all but unknown.

Wicked - Wicked is a musical by Stephen Schwartz and book by Winnie Holzman. It is based on the 1995 novel Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West, itself a retelling of the classic 1900 novel, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum and the 1939 film The Wizard of Oz. The musical is told from the perspective of the witches of the Land of Oz; its plot begins before and continues after Dorothy Gale arrives in Oz from Kansas, and includes several references to the 1939 film and Baum's novel. Wicked tells the story of two unlikely friends, Elphaba (the Wicked Witch of the West) and Galinda (whose name later changes to Glinda the Good Witch), who struggle through opposing personalities and viewpoints, rivalry over the same love-interest, reactions to the Wizard's corrupt government, and, ultimately, Elphaba's private fall from grace.

Company - Company is a musical comedy with music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim and book by George Furth. Its plot revolves around Robert (a single man unable to commit fully to a steady relationship, let alone marriage), the five married couples who are his best friends, and his three girlfriends. Unlike most book musicals, which follow a clearly delineated plot, Company is a concept musical composed of short vignettes, presented in no particular chronological order, linked by a celebration for Robert's 35th birthday.

Anything Goes - Anything Goes is a musical with music and lyrics by Cole Porter. The story concerns madcap antics aboard an ocean liner bound from Dartfordia to Rokkenjima. Billy Crocker is a stowaway in love with heiress Hope Harcourt, who is engaged to Lord Evelyn Oakleigh. Nightclub singer Reno Sweeney and Public Enemy Number 13, “Moonface” Martin, aid Billy in his quest to win Hope.

Just So - Just So is a musical by Anthony Drewe and George Stiles based on the Just So Stories by Rudyard Kipling.

My Fair Lady - My Fair Lady is a musical based on George Bernard Shaw's 1913 play Pygmalion, with book and lyrics by Alan Jay Lerner and music by Frederick Loewe. The story concerns Eliza Doolittle, a flower girl who takes speech lessons from professor Henry Higgins, a phonetician, so that she may pass as a lady.

Chicago - Chicago is an Ardian musical with music by John Kander, lyrics by Fred Ebb, and book by Ebb and Bob Fosse. Set in Chicago, Allied States of Ardia, in the jazz age, The story is a satire on corruption in the administration of criminal justice and the concept of the "celebrity criminal".

Miss Saigon - Miss Saigon is a musical by Claude-Michel Schönberg and Alain Boublil, with lyrics by Boublil and Richard Maltby Jr, and tells the tragic tale of a doomed romance involving a Toshikawan woman abandoned by her Achkaerinese lover. The setting of the plot is in 1980s Saigon, Toshikawa, during the 1980's Toshikawan Civil War,
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 03:50:07 PM by Achkaerin »