Author Topic: Nya Åland News  (Read 25594 times)

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Nya Åland/Ui Cenneslaig
Re: Nya Åland News
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2022, 11:58:14 AM »

THANE OLIVIA ROBERTSSON SETS UP LOR PARTY

Dr.Olivia Robertsson, the Thane of Jokkmokk, has today launched a new political party. The 26 year old medic has set up the Liberal Odinic Rite along with a group of fifteen other medics from Nya Åland who serve in the Joint Emergency Team. Last year Dr.Robertsson was appointed Thane of Jokkmokk, a traditional holding just outside Sprigwald where she was born. To become a Thane the government selected the recipients from a short list off put together by the local community attached to the holding. Now though with a ground swell of support Dr.Robertsson is attempting to change Nya Åland's political landscape. Speaking at the launch she explained the background to the party. "Since the Uppsala disaster we have always had some of us, those who were born outside the old borders of Nya Åland, that never truly felt at home among the system here. Nya Åland always was more traditional and inward looking but as those of us who were youths during the reunification have got older we've begun to feel that the way the nation runs doesn't really reflect what we want. Time is changing but the political parties of Nya Åland don't."

The party agenda is aimed at "ensuring the nation retains its special place in the world as a heartland for Odin, honours Norse traditions but excludes nobody." Launching the new manifesto Dr.Robertsson outlined six key objectives.

* The creation of a society that reflects the proud history of Nordic people and Norse traditions.
* The protection of sacred sites of all faiths.
* A return to the policy of Armed Neutrality
* The economic development of the former UNP territories.
* The creation of a political system secular in nature that reflects Norse traditions.
* The realisation that while a nation can be built on Odinist values these values are not exclusive to those following the faith.

The new party has already gained 18,000 members in the 24 hours since it was launched. It is sure to concern the established Nya Åland political establishment as just two months ago the more liberal minded People's Right Party overturned a 9,500 vote majority of the Odinic Rite in the Southern Uppsala seat for the Council. It reflects a growing trend among younger Nords towards a more liberal outlook, something that some political commentators are calling "UNPifying" as it seems to reflect more the older days of the Union of Nordic People.s

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2022, 09:07:44 PM »

ROBERTSSON QUALIFIES AS A GOTHI

26 year old Doctor and Thane, Olive Robertsson, has today confirmed that she yesterday passed the entrance exam to make her a Gothi. Speaking of her success she explained, "While I have always wanted to develop a better understanding of my Odinist faith I must be honest and explain that I have no intention of entering into the Priesthood. At the end of this year we shall have elections for Head Gothi and I can now add my name to that ballot. Many young people are disillousioned with the way the current Head Gothi has taken very few steps to make us once more a nation on the world stage as we were in times of old. We are intent on sitting in our corner of East Albion minding our own business. The reconstruction of Uppsala is finished and we've seen grander projects in places like Tartu and Setri and now we must show the world just how ingenious us Nords are. We need younger and more global outlooks." If successful Robertsson would become the youngest Head Gothi in the nations history and the first female.

Current Head Gothi Stein Ulfsson however is critical of the newest addition to the ranks of the Gothi's. "I admire anyone who works hard enough to gain the knowledge to pass the exam. What I don't admire is when someone seeks to corrupt the title Gothi for aims other than tending to the faithful. Dr. Robertsson should renounce her claim to be a Gothi and focus on her medical career."

In an initial poll it would appear that Robertsson would get around 35% of the vote in a head to head with Ulfsson however the vast majority of voters under the age of 30 interviewed stated support for Robertsson.

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2022, 09:18:58 PM »

PROJECT ICARUS LEGACY SENDS NEWS IMAGE

The joint project between East Moreland and the space programme run by as was the Union of Nordic Peoples has released a new image before going off line for roughly a year. Project Icarus was the first of several joint missions to map solar winds and various other pieces of solar activity, these were taken over by the Joint Nordic Space Programme when the U.N.P. collapsed. The project has been sending back images from a distance of around  75 million kilometres for the past four years however the latest one is the closest yet. The project will go offline in terms of sending images for roughly 12 months before beginning to take images of the top and bottom of the sun. During its mission it is likely that the probe will experience temperatures upwards of 500 degrees celsius. Once its mission is over it will aim directly at the sun and as have various other Icarus probes sent before burn up.

The JNSP have said they are currently in talks with the Royal Aeronautical Society of East Moreland to explore future project unrelated to Icarus. A spokesman for the JNSP said, "There are many adventures we want to pursue in space and the old relationship with East Moreland was a very productive one. We hope in the coming months to re-energise this relationship and explore much more of the Universe."

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2022, 10:21:48 PM »

]

HYGELAC "RIVER" SHOWS LIFE

A team of researchers in Hygelac have today revealed footage taken that shows the discovery of a new ecosytstem on the icy continent. The team from Nya Åland's science base there has been undertaking a wide range of projects however it was the team dedicated to a recently discovered network of under ice rivers. The team used a hot water hose to create a hole some 500 meters deep and then put a camera probe down. Dr. Karla Ekstrom who is in charge of the project stated "As soon as the camera entered the water it was surrounded by tiny 5mm long creatures, these turned out to be amphipods, creatures related to shrimp. In this environment seeing one would have been quiet a discovery but we had a swarm of hundreds if not thousands showing that a vibrant econsystem exists below the ice."

Last year the CNN Supereye Satellite identified a groove in the ice shelf which they predicted would be some kind of subterranean water way. This has now been confirmed and furthermore while observing the creatures found in the water way probes identified that there were five very distinct layers of water indicating that many more ecosystems could be present with further observation. With each of these water ways travelling in a different direction due to how the water circulates, raises and falls beneath the ice packs it is likely that global warming and other oceanic events could lead to changes in these delicate balances. Scientists lead by Dr.Ekstrom will over the next few months carry out a variety of different probes and observations in order to gain a better understanding of one of Mundus less known ecosystems.

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2022, 09:50:00 PM »

]

NATION CELEBRATES SUMMER SOLSTICE

As the years longest day came people across the nation celebrated the solstice. Farmers across the land prayed for an abundant harvest from the Norse gods of fertility, Freyia and Freyr while almost every settlement hosted rituals for the year ahead. Huge bonfires were lit across the country and pilgrims made their way to sacred sites to pay their respects to the Gods, their ancestors or holy men of the past. One of the highest bonfires happened in Miksberg and measured some 47 meters tall. People there brought sacrifices of flowers and food to be thrown into the fire and feasts continued into the evening where dancing and singing took place.

The national sacrifice of a goat took place in Krokom carried out by the Head Gothi.

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 02, 2022, 09:45:18 AM »

]

LOR RALLY BIGGEST IN RECENT MEMORY

The first of what is expected to become an annual event by the Liberal Odinic Rite political party took place in the city of Grunwald. The party was established by Dr.Olivia Robertsson in February this year and has grown steadily among two key demographics for national politics. Many displaced Nords who are not native Alanders find the party appealing. This group is largely made up of citizens of former Union of Nordic People's citizens now under the flag of  Nya Åland. The second group is voters between the age of 18-25. Polls show that the party is the most popular among this category of voters. An estimated 120,000 people attended the rally which saw a march through the city to the old market square where supporters of the party enjoyed a three hour long show of music, speeches and campaign videos. The headline act was an address by Dr.Robertsson herself which outlined her agenda for next years elections where she intends to stand for Head Gothi. The 26 year old, who is also the Thane of Jokkmokk and qualified as a Gothi this year, spoke for twenty minutes. During her speech she said "Historically our ancestors were fierce warriors who lived a life devoted to the Gods and died safe in the knowledge that they had lived by the nine noble virtues. One of those is courage, why should we as Nords and followers of the All Father cower at the thought of walking among Christians, Cultists or Muslims. Our courage should be that we live safe in the knowledge that our people will stay true to the Odinist way of life we have created. We value truth, I believe this is why we have become a nation famed for our scientific endeavours. Science seeks to uncover the truth about how things work, why they work and aim to make the world a better place. Science works because people are encouraged to challenege and consider view points. We do ourselves and our people a disservice if we allow challenges to science but not to religion. In the UNP days we were much more liberal in regards to religion, 95% of our population were Odinists, they were also one of the most valued nations in terms of international relations. Politicians of today sit in the shadows of Willa Sunbrek-Rosendahl, Helene Öman, Birgit Strand and Peter Knutsson. These four individuals were leaders. Willa Sunbrek-Rosendahl helped negotiate an end to potential hostilities with Rokkenjima and the USR, she gave the world the first ever global pride event. Helene Öman authored the UNPs Decree of Neutrality, the foundation of our foreign policy that we were all so proud of. Knutsson a giant that navigated us through several crisis and set us up to aim for the stars both literally and figutively. Finally Strand, a woman who helped steer the CTO to create the Mundus Health Organisation and Refugee Council. Since then Stenberg and Ulfsson have looked inwards. They have been leaders concerned only with religion. A Head Gothi is a religious figure but also a political one. Samantra have walked a similar line of merging faith and politics. Samantra's current foreign policies eclipse our own and look at the foundations Ulfsson and Stenberg had compared to that of the Duma of Samantra. The eight of our Noble Virtues is industriousness and in this regard they have been lazy. Meanwhile look at us, look at the youth of the Nord heartland. We are proud of our ancestors, we though wish to leave a legacy that our children will be proud of. This will be the focus of our election campaign. Ulfsson is a career Gothi playing at politics, I am a woman with a wealth of international experience. I've worked in warzones, I've worked with international agencies. In days of our ancestors we looked for people to lead from the front, that is what the very definition of the word leader is. You all know me. You know I walked out of the disaster zone those years ago, you know I stayed in Uppsala as it fell apart, not once but twice. Since then I have travelled Mundus, first to Zimalia, then Lijiang, to try and use my medical skills to help people. Now join with me as we embrace our Viking spirit once more and become a nation without fear."

The crowd gave Robertsson a warm reception and polls indicate her speech was well received by a lot of voters who have described themselves as "floaters". Head Gothi Stein Ulfsson however spoke about the speech to this publication saying "Olivia is still learning the ways of being a Gothi. She has been acknowledged as one for just six months. It takes decades of study and practice to really understand the role. She has not tended to a religious community in the way that I have. People will realise that she is simply trying to game the system in order to drag us away from our virtues. She forgot to mention that of loyalty. To be loyal means many things including to shun temptation. We have built a society so pure here that the Gods will walk among us. Olivia seeks to chase them away in favour of international approval while I seek only the approval of the Gods."

With elections for Head Gothi taking place at the end of September the Liberal Odinic Rite is being viewed as more of a threat to the traditional Odinic Rite Party. Former Allsherjargoði Jin Odinsson, who is now residing in Lijiang, has so far been impressed with Dr.Robertsson. "I am one of the political figures whose career spans both the UNP and  Nya Åland. I was a Minister under many of the people she called political giants and was the first elected Allsherjargoði of Nya Åland. That was at a time when it was more important to look inwards and Stenberg can be forgiven for that as he had to deal with a great many crisis. Meanwhile Ulfsson has thrown away a great deal of what we had in the bank in terms of political capital. I like the direction Olivia is heading in. I know she is a lady with a tremendous drive and has experience way beyond her years. If I was voting back in Nya Åland I would look at the candidates, and realistically it will come down to two Robertsson and Ulfsson, I'd see a man devout in his faith and who has achieved very little for the nation and then I'd see a young woman who earned the title Jarl from the general public. I would see a young woman with experience of working with some of the most intriguing governments on Mundus, not politically perhaps but at least she will have contacts, and I would see a woman who is very in touch with the way Mundus thinks in general. If it comes down to those two in a run off I would put money on Robertsson being able to mobilise the youth vote in huge numbers and that demographic has traditionally stayed away from elections. She spoke of our ancestors and it was the blood and sweat of the young warrior class that helped form our nation and I believe youth will do so again."

It is also understood that Birgid Strand, current Home Affairs Minister and the only non-politically aligned cabinet member was also at the rally as an "Intrigued observer." Strand is not a qualified Gothi however polls suggest that should she become one and stand for election to Head Gothi she would be considered red hot favourite.   

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 14, 2022, 09:42:44 PM »

PROF.KRISTOFFER TALKS GREEN FUTURE

Since Hans Bethe discovered the process of nuclear fusion was possible people have been saying we will see it utilised within "the next 30 years." That was in 1938 and the world is still waiting. Since then there have been numerous experiments that have seen it become a closer reality than ever before with the recent groundbreaking experiment in Achkaerin claiming to have produced a "net energy gain" this week. The RF2 facility claim that they produced 3.15 megajoules of energy as output, exceeding the 2.05 megajoules used to power the experiment. While the scientific world hailed this as a major step towards nuclear fusion Krokom based Professor Torben Kristoffer of The Krokom University joked, "The truth is that while fusion is in theory a great glimmer of a energy efficient future it is still 30 years away. It was 30 years away 30 years ago and I am sorry to say in 30 years it will still be 30 years away. The issue is we see experiments such as those in Altona and those in Achkaerin bringing very interesting headline figures. To the eyes of the non-science world expending 2.05 MJ to get what could be described as  1.10MJ profit seems good. However what must also be remembered is that the close to 200 lasers needed to create the beam required around 320 MJ during the experiment. We perhaps therefore are basing success on the wrong thing. While the idea of ignition is to create more energy than is used we only measure the actual end part of the process. It is also worth mentioning that the system used to carry out the tests is designed initially not for energy experiments of this kind but for nuclear weapons scientists to study the intense heat and pressures in explosions. While it is commendable that these men and women have now sought to harness the atom for peaceful means it remains the fact that the need to examine how this discovery can be harnessed for electricity production has yet to take place. The vast costs of projects like the one in Achkaerin are likely to make the process not a reliable one for electricity production however a glimmer of commercial light exudes from Altona's "Pistol Shrimp" method which while having produced less total output currently would be 1,000 times cheaper, per joule of energy, than using a laser. Traditionally laser or magnetic containment have been used for these projects. Laser has so far produced the higher yields but magnetic the more commercially adaptable technology, the Altonan path is the outlier which is why I'm very interested in that approach in the next few years."

Professor Kristoffer highlighted another key problem that the commericalisation of nuclear fusion could face. " these reactors will require deuterium and tritium. The good news is deuterium exists naturally in seawater and can be easy to acquire however tritium does not occur naturally in significant quantities. Some fission reactors produce tritium and it is likely some of those in operation globally could provide some. It is likely though that fusion reactors have to produce it themselves from lithium as there is only around 20kg of tritium available commercially. As lithium is in high demand and heavily used in places like the Gigafactory in Royal Seleucid and Tamora it is likely we have to choose between batteries or power production. As a planet we may find that we do better for the environment proiritising energy storage technology than energy production. We have many means on Mundus of creating clean and often reliable energy but it is often wasted. Take for example the large river in Lijiang. It is capable of providing vast amounts of cheap, clean energy 24 hours a day 365 days a year. The issue however is that it can not be stored during the night when very few people are actually utilising it. If we had a large scale means to store this then it is likely Lijiang and similar nations could all but cut the use of fossil fuels. We could even see nuclear fission benefit from the funds being devoted to fusion to make it even cleaner and safer and thus hand in hand with storage systems ensure our needs are meet."

Currently Professor Kristoffer is working on the final touches to the Alucard Ammonia Facility. This project is seeing a combination of solar panels and wind turbines utilised to create hydrogen through  electrolysis of water. This hydrogen is than passed through a Haber-Bosch reactor utilising more hydrogen for heating to produce ammonia. Around 150million tonnes of ammonia are used a year with 70% of this being used in fertilisers, however it could also be utilised as a potential zero-emissions fuel for energy intensive applications where batteries are not possible. Traditionally ammonia has been acquired by burning methane in the process and its manufacture is estimated to be responsible for 1.8% of global carbon emissions. If the project, which is likely to be fully operational by 2030, is successful the plant could produce 2.2million tonnes of ammonia a year. Dr. Kristoffer said, "It is our hope to do two things. First we can help clean up the planet by producing an important product needed across Mundus for very little carbon production. Second this could be a great boost to the national economy. We are currently living at a time to be very excited about advances being made in green technologies and I hope we can ensure the AAF is at the forefront."

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2023, 09:17:49 PM »

STRAND STEPS DOWN AS MINISTER

It has been announced today that Foreign Minister Birgid Strand has resigned from her position as Foreign Minister. She is considered by many to be the nations most respected diplomat and with elections just a month away this has sparked rumours that she is removing her support from the Odinic Rite Party. Strand has had a career as a diplomat for the Union of Nordic Peoples, the Commonwealth Treaty Organisation and most recently Nya Åland. Upon receiving her resignation the Head Gothi, Stein Ulfsson, released a statement saying. "Birgid has served her people with the highest levels of commitment and honour. She is a figure that in years to come those who follow in her footsteps will dream to emulate. I wish her well in her future and give her the well deserved thanks of the nation." Ulfsson has not yet confirmed who will be the new Foreign Minister however they could well be the shortest tenured official should the Odinic Rite's Ulfsson lose the upcoming election.

While traditionally the Odinic Rite have dominated politics in Nya Åland over the last few months the relatively new Liberal Odinic Rite Party have been making huge inroads in local politics. In the last month they have won control of three city councils and won the mayorship of Grunwald. The success in these elections have been put down to those places having a large university student population. The party, with its more relaxed version of Odinism, has shown itself to be very popular with those aged under 35 and its leader Dr. Olivia Robertsson is seen as a role model for many youngsters. Current polls say that if the party can stand candidates in all seats at the upcoming election they would likely take control of the Odinic Council meanwhile Robertsson is expected to get around 36% of the vote for Head Gothi while Stein Ulfsson is currently estimated to be on around 40%. This means if the Head Gothi election goes as expected a run off would likely be triggered with other minor parties and independent candidates dropping out of the race.

Dr. Robertsson has stated should she win she would seek to ensure that the "Brave spirit of our ancestors prevailed without the fear Ulfsson shows the world."
« Last Edit: August 23, 2023, 12:07:41 PM by KrisNord »

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2023, 05:27:21 PM »

ROBERTSSON AND STRAND ANNOUNCE PARTNERSHIP

With the elections a month away the Liberal Odinic Rite have announced an official leadership partnership. The parties founder and leader, Dr.Olivia Robertsson, confirmed at the parties rally in Uppsala that one of their candidates in the upcoming election will be former foreign minister Brigid Strand and that if the party is successful in taking control of both the position of Head Gothi and a majority in the Odinic Council that she would become Allsherjargoði. The Party are standing on a platform designed to give the nation less of a theocratic controlled way of life while simultaniously ensuring the Odinist faith remains an important part of the nations identity. The party have been successful in local municipal council elections with the party now controlling 35 out of the 58 within the nation. The party have also enjoyed a huge amount of support from the younger demographic with a massive 82% of those aged between 18 and 30 polled saying they would vote for the party. In the 20% of the Ålander population who describe themselves as "Nords" rather than Ålanders the party currently poll around 60% of the vote. These two statistics mean the party stand in a strong position heading into the nation elections which have for close to a decade been considered a one horse race. Even when Nya Åland was part of the Union of Nordic Peoples the Odinic Rite Party always won elections within the nation however since the referendum under which Åland left the Union that parties grasp has gradually weakened.

At Uppsala Indoor Sports Arena the medic, who is also one of the non-heriditary Jarls of the nation, addressed a crowd of around 38,000 people. She was joined on stage by Birgid Strand. During the speech she laid out the policies of the party. "If elected our course of action is clear. Live out the nine noble virtues. Under our programme the nation would have the courage to intervene at times of crisis across the world just as we needed people to do on our behalf. We would expose the truth that following the path of closeting ourselves away has cost us in terms of economic opportunities lost, in terms of friends lost. Our faith talks about the importance of honour and to enhance it the need to do good deeds, when truly was the last time we as a nation did anything good for the world, Marseille? And then were have we been on the recent Troyes situation. It can be argued that shoulder to shoulder with Real Marseille the Ålander forces we sent into Marseille created the road-map for that nations freedom from evil. But since then what? Nothing. We are expected to show discipline, self discipline, yet as a nation we have allowed Stein Ulfsson to control our morality, we are not his children. We are to be self-reliant, we have the ability to stand as a nation alone, yes but self-reliant means we equip our young to face Mundus and be confident in their own skills and knowledge. How many of us have truly seen our nation equip us with the ability to navigate a life on Mundus, a handful of us who have partaken in the More and Mundus project have ever truly known a life without religious rules dominating our lives. Our faith teaches us to be industrious but what oppurtunities have Ulfsson extended to us to fulfil this? We are supposed to perservere in the face of hardship, but how have we really tested ourselves. Finally to me the most significant of these virtues is hospitality, how do we make guests to our nation feel? I would say not welcome. If we are elected we shall make these virtues central to everything we do. If you elect Ulfsson you elect a nation of fear. Fear of the outside world, fear of other Gods, fear of failure. Elect us and we show the world that Odin has nothing to fear from Mundus and guided by his wisdom we shall resume a place of respect and co-operation with the world."

Following Dr.Robertsson's speech Strand addressed the crowd briefly saying, "Nya Åland stands at a cross roads. We turn one way and we remain the same. A nation speaking of its love and devotion to Odin. We turn the other and we become the living, breathing embodyment of the All-Fathers word, a nation living without fear and a nation not willing to take a backwards step. Make your decisions."

Stein Ulfsson's Odinic Rite Party responded to the speeches saying, "The Liberal Odinic Rite are a party with no track record of international politics. They are unaware of what it takes to keep a nation safe and secure and rebuild after one of the worlds largest disasters. We have turned places like Uppsala from a wasteland back into a thriving city in just a short space of time." This comment however was rubbished by many on social media as one user pointed out "No track record of international politics? Strand ran the CTO! Strand helped draft the Uppsala Convention! Ulfssons a clown."

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2023, 09:44:59 PM »

]

SPECIAL FORCES RAID "MEDICINE FARM"

The Ministry of Defence have announced today that the nations Special Forces until known as the Mjölnir have conducted a raid just outside the village of Mikswald. The Mjölnir had been told by law enforcement that it was believed that a criminal gang had established a facility there for smuggling narcotics and potentially also weapons. The Mjölnir raided the facility this morning and discovered that the intelligence was not accurate and rather than it being a facility for drugs and firearms it was discovered that six swimming pools had been created and that Dolphins  were being stored there. Several arrests were made including one who was a Lijiang citizen. As well as the dolphins illegally in captivity several freezers were found containing dolphin skin and vials of various oils. The seized items are reportedly used in a variety of medicines traditionally used in Lijiang medicine. There were in total 12 Dolphins in captivity, thought being houses ready for their flesh to be removed and oils extracted. Vetenary practiners were called and despite their efforts only 8 of the animals are being prepared for release back into the wild while four of the animals have had to be euthanised. Those arrested have been charged with animal cruelty, various wildlife offenses and smuggling.

Head Gothi Stein Ulfsson said "We will be contacting authorities in Lijiang to work out whether this is part of a wider operation and to ensure that we have captured everyone involved. Some may say it strange that we take an approach to try and prevent farms such as these, this is now the second we've found in four years. We as a nation consume whale and dolphin however only in two small settlements where it is as much a necessity as it is a tradition. There animals are taken quickly and painlessly from the wild, however these people have inflicted lengthy captivity in horrendous conditions and that is unacceptable."

Head Gothi candidate Dr.Olivia Robertsson also spoke about Ulfsson's statement saying "There is no place in our nation for two things. First is cruelty to animals. The second is to apologise for the traditions of our people. The Gods are clear animals are sacred creatures, and that they were closely connected to the gods. It is important to hunt respectfully, and to avoid taking more than was needed. When those two settlements hunt they do so with that in mind, there is no need to explain to the world why we do it."

Those arrested will appear in court on Monday.

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2023, 07:01:47 PM »

]

HEAD GOTHI "SHOWCASE" TAKE PLACE

Last night national TV aired a pair of interviews with the leading candidates for the position of Head Gothi. As people are just two weeks away from the polls opening it was a chance to see how each stood up to scrutiny from the media and assembled audience. Dr.Olivia Robertsson and current Head Gothi Stein Ulfsson were both interview by Krista Rosendahl and asked the same questions before random questions taken from a box provided by the audience were addressed.

If elected what would be your top priority?

SU - The Theocracy needs to begin establishing a wider network of friendship. There are several nations such as Marseille and East Moreland that we consider close friends, to some extent Achkaerin too. Our problem has been a the way some of the former CSTO have sought to make us outcasts. If I am re-elected my first foreign policy move would be to seek membership of the Sovereign Union of Nations, a group that have tried to stand against those imposing an agenda on the world. Once we've forged membership of S.U.N we'll seek to become active in growing their science section and becoming a valued member of an interesting organisation.

DOR - Its simple I want to show people of our faith they've been tricked. Nya Åland became independent because it viewed itself as a strong nation free from control by others. No sooner had it gained that than it began to show fear of the wider world. Odin is a God that wants us couragous, self reliant and disciplined, he is not a God that fears religions I would consider false. You want to be a Christian, fine be a Christain, but when you meet the All-Father that becomes a you problem. If elected the idea of us hiding away behind the Gods will end. We will send missionaries across the world to promote our faith and while Odinist teaching will be at the centre of everything we do it won't be because of fear. 

How would you grow the economy?

SU Assuming we're members of S.U.N that will bring with it closer trading links. If we are not then I'll be looking to move our nation towards better utilising our access to the Alucard. There is a thriving market there and I want us to grab as large a slice of that as possible. I want us to be one of the largest economies in terms of size of population on Mundus and we'll need to begin exporting and that requires networks.

DOR There would be a two prong approach. Stage one takes care of itself. We'd relax the religious laws and thus, I hope, end the sanctions against us. This will in itself help create new growth. Then secondly we'd look to promote what Nords do best, we innovate. We've a thriving science sector of our economic landscape and by investing in that I believe strongly we can become world leaders. If we improve the way we monetise our science know how that boosts everything else too.

If you had to pick one nation to sign a treaty with in the next twelve months who would it be?

SU That is relatively easy. Holmvik. They share around 90% of our faith and I believe we at heart are kindred spirits. We are natural partners and as such I think we have a lot to offer each other. I would love to conclude some arrangement with them as our culture, history and faith is so closely enshrined.

DOR  First of all I wouldn't be silly enough to limit ourselves to just one. I would be interested though in making arrangements with local Alucard nations. I've got experience of working with Lodjians through various agencies I've been part of and so perhaps that might be a logical first step but if elected my plane will be getting in the air miles and my door will be open.

What do you think is the biggest weakness of your opponent?

SU - Let me begin by saying Dr. Robertsson is someone I'm proud to say is an Ålander. Under my time as Head Gothi we introduced a system of new Jarls and Thanes and she was one of the first names put forward. She is though very young and as a result has very little experience as a Gothi. She is not equipped to lead a nation dedicated to the Gods and as such I fear that she is incapable of leading in such a way as the All-Father would desire. A vote for the good doctor is a vote to turn away from the tradition and values that have held our communities strong through all manner of disasters.

DOR  - He's weak. There is no kind way of putting it. I believe he is a nice guy but he is blind to the world outside our homeland. He has made very few overseas visits and we can't live in a village. Our ancestors raided the coasts of Mundus and while I am not advocating we return to Viking ways I do think we need to stop looking inwards. Another term in office by Ulfsson will see us become even more stagnated and out of touch with the world.

What makes you the best candidate?

SU - Out of the two of us it is clear I have the best theological knowledge and the most experience in government. I am capable of ensuring our nation runs smoothly and continues to be the Holy Land of our faith. No one else in this race is capable of doing this. I know the people of our country better than any candidate and I believe that none of them love the Gods as much as me. I have wisdom the other candidates don't and I have the backing of the Odinic Rite.

DOR - I don't quit. Throughout my life I've faced challenges beyond any of the others. When the disaster hit the UNP I was in the midst of it and hiked out. When Uppsala became chaos I was a trainee doctor who manned medical centres. Then when the gas disaster happened I, like so many other medics, refused to leave the contaminated zone. Like them I have the scars of refusing to quit (she shows camera scars on her hands from chemical burns). I've ran medical centres out the back of flatbed trucks, I've brought medical care to places in Zimalia that hadn't seen doctors for years. I've been in J.E.T operations on several continents. I don't have political experience but if you need a Nord to get a job done in hard circumstances I'm your girl.

Following the shared questions it was revealed that Stein Ulfsson wants to make reforms to the nations environmental policies. "I believe we have the capability to over produce energy. If thats the case then we could easily export our surplus to places like Vynlandia or even the Lodjain islands." He also stated that he would increase the amount of whaling that the nation takes part in.

Meanwhile Dr.Robertsson explained that she intends to reform education to make it ensure that all students gain neither 100% academic nor vocational qualifications. "We'd bring in a new diploma, students will be expected to learn at least one practical skill such as carpentry if their academic or if they're more practical they'd be required to study at least one academic subject." She also explained that schools would be free to set their own policy on religious education and whether to teach faiths other than Odinism.

The election is 14 days away however Monday marks the final chance to register to vote. To vote a person must be registered with their local Odinic Order[1] and forms can be found both online or at your local office.
 1. Think of this as like your local council, despite it having Odinic in the name membership is open to people of any or no faiths

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 05, 2023, 04:27:16 PM »

]

EXPERTS PREDICT CLOSE RUN ELECTIONS

With elections for the Odinic Council and Head Gothi running today political experts are divided on their predictions for the final results. There are four candidates running for the position of Head Gothi however all believe that it will be a two horse race between incumbent Stein Ulfsson and the Odinic Rite party and political newcomer Dr.Oliva Robertsson who is leader of the newly formed Liberal Odinic Rite. It is thought that Astrid Stigsson of the Nords First Party and    Lucas Jakobsen of Conservative Futures are unlikely to worry bookmakers and there odds of 150/1 and 200/1 respectively reflect that. One expert is the Professor of Politics at Krokom University, Dr.Theo Larsson, he believes that in fact votes for Stigsson and Jakobsen are likely to be ones to help Dr.Robertsson. "The traditional power in Åland has sat with the parties right of centre. The Odinic Rite, Nords First and Conservative Future all often agree on matters within the Council however it is this block that have fielded in effect three candidates. Meanwhile the centre ground and the left have only got Dr.Robertsson to vote for with neither the Peoples Rights Party, Socialist Party nor Liberal Rights Alliance seeing their candidates for Head Gothi gain enough support in hustings. As a result its likely right leaning voters will see that their votes are split between three candidates while the centre and left between just one. The sad fact of the matter though is that could damage Dr.Robertsson's chances is that some on the left may feel no one fully represents their views and as a result may not vote at all." Turnout however by mid afternoon was described by observers as "higher than normal" and in particular the youth vote was "considerable". Many believe that this youth mobilisation will be the key to any victory by Dr.Robertsson as Dr.Larsson explained. " Since the independence of Nya Åland and then the disaster that saw the merger of the UNP young people have believed that they are not acturatley represented in politics. The arrival of the new Liberal Odinic Rite party has fed into this political homelessness. Its given the youth a way of expressing their love of their Norse culture while also being rather more globalist in outlook. I believe they could be a real threat."

Meanwhile elections for the Odinic Council are more problematic. Martja Larsson, formerly Minister of Defence and now member of the Norse Albion think tank explains, "We've gone from a system with six parties to a system with seven. The Liberal Odinic Rite have been very savvy. They've taken a position very central with a slight right wing lean. They are great at using modern communication and have been shown to be able to get people, particularly those under 30, many who have never voted in an Åland election before , to get excited about the change they propose. They speak of opportunities at a time when the nation has stagnated meanwhile Ulfsson has been talking about doing things which he's had several years to do and failed. This election has boiled down to a decision between the status quo or change. I think we'll see the new party take votes from some of the centre left who see a chance to get a tiny bit of what they want and I think the Conservative Future Party is in trouble as the Liberal Odinic Rite share a fair few policy ideas. I think the Council is likely to be very split between the traditional Odinic Rite and the Liberal Odinic Rite. If I was to put money down I think for the first time we'll have a Head Gothi from a different party than the Allsherjargoði.

Should the Liberal Odinic Rite succeed in becoming the most supported party in the Council it will be Birgid Strand, assuming she wins her seat, that would become Allsherjargoði. She spoke this morning as she cast her vote, "Naturally I'm voting for Olivia, she is the person who will actually make us a nation that doesn't self isolate. We're a nation that has the potential to lead the world in thing like science but we don't capitalise. If we can sweep both positions then we stand a fantastic chance of making our homeland the envy of Mundus."

Meanwhile Stein Ulfsson cast his own vote and said "I have every confidence that Odin will help guide people to making the right decision. As a nation we stand as the last of the Holy lands of Odinism, pure uncorrupted and strong. We have walked this path and I believe that it is right that we continue to do so. I am confident that once the election is done we can get on with building a strong economy built on good honest hard working people's commitment to the Gods."

Polls close this evening at 9pm and a winner is expected to be announced early tomorrow morning.

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2023, 10:37:37 PM »

]

ELECTION MAYBE NOT "DONE DEAL"

With the polls closed and results counted it would seem Nya Åland is set to have a change of leadership however as of yet incumbent Head Gothi, Stein Ulfsson, has said "the result is not a done deal.". When all results declared Dr.Olivia Robertsson had scored 43% of the vote, meanwhile Stein Ulfsson had scored 40%. This saw Astrid Stigsson of the Nords First Party (8%) and Lucas Jakobsen (9%) of Conservative Futures sharing the remaining votes. As the results stand this officially would mean Dr.Robertsson will on 13th November be sworn in as the new Head Gothi of  Nya Åland however in a shock move Stein Ulfsson has asked the Supreme Court to rule that the election should be re-run as a head to head, something that has never happened before. The constitution states "The candidate who receives the greatest support of the people shall be elected." and Stein Ulfsson believes this means that an individual would require at least 50% of the vote to take the position of Head Gothi, this however is countered by Dr.Robertsson whose team have stated, "It is clear out of the four candidates Olivia has the greatest amount of support. Its therefore straight forward that she is Head Gothi in a weeks time."

The Nya Åland News' legal expert is Karston Frohm who stated, "Many of us in the legal profession have known, since its introduction, that there were weaknesses in the constitution. We advised at the time that these needed closing and it was also agreed that the chaos of the formation of the constitution following the absorption of the UNP required something in place speedily. Daniel Stenburg always said their would be a revision and review process of it in time, that never came and now we face a potential political limbo. The courts will now be asked to interpret the constitution but my concern is if the court rules in favour of Steinsson that Dr.Robertsson will likely be able to suggest that as all members of the Supreme Court have been appointed by Head Gothi's from the Odinic Rite they could be bias. The crux of the argument is the  17% who voted for the other candidates. I would like to see in future years either a transferable vote system, which I think will be quicker, or a run off election."

Meanwhile the elections for the Odinic Council have been no less significant. With 500 seats up for grabs and a new political heavyweight party in the guise of the Liberal Odinic Rite arriving on the scene it was always likely to see radical changes. With 500 seats up for grabs the Odinic Rite managed to retain their status as the largest party in the council winning 181 seats, down from 219 in the last elections. They lost seats in the heavily student dominated areas close to Universities and colleges. The Nords First Party saw victory in 78 seats down from 101 in 2018 most significantly losing the seat of Mikswald an ultra religious region of in the west, that seat was won by Viktoria Silsgard from the Liberal Odinic Rite. Conservative Future saw major loses with almost half their seats disappearing as many saw them as the most direct competition beyond the Odinic Rite for the newly formed Liberal Odinic Rite. With 40 seats they are likely however to hold a significant say in the future of the nation. It was mainly parties on the left that saw significant loses, Liberal Alliance slipped from 39 seats to 15 while the Socialist Party fell from 36 to 11 seats making them the smallest in the Council. The People's Right Party are the second smallest with 12 seats a loss of 22 seats. The nights biggest winners, as expected, were the Liberal Odinic Rite contesting their first election which picked up 163 seats making them the 2nd largest party in the Council.  The result now see's the Odinic Rite holding 36.2% of the vote while the Liberal Odinic Rite hold 32.6%. The party able to command the support of the Council is able to appoint the Allsherjargoði and control the legislative agenda of the Council. While this decision can not be made until the Head Gothi is in place there are likely to be several days of political manovering as the two lead parties seek to strike deals to form a coalition. Naturally the Nord First party would seem like a strong match for the Odinic Rite, a deal would see the two parties control 51.8%. Meanwhile the Liberal Odinic Rite would likely need the support of all other parties to gain control.

In conclusion it would, if things go as predicted, see a first for the nation. We will likely end up with a Head Gothi and Allsherjargoði representing different political parties meaning there is a chance that the nation could face some form of political limbo for the near future.

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2023, 11:56:24 PM »

"WE WILL DEFEND DEMOCRACY" SAY GUNGNIR

Following the recent legal challenge on the recent election results the spectre of the nations most worrisome terrorist group has emerged. A post has appeared on several social media platforms that has since been verified by several media outlets claiming to be from the Gungnir. The Gungnir have been active on several occasions most recently having briefly attempted to damage radio and broadcast signals across Mundus. The groups stated aim is "to drive the foreign faiths out of Albion and return the land to the All-Father." In addition they have stated that "Christianity has driven a wedge deep into the heart of Albion and that insult to our Holy Land must be avenged." In the past the group have even taken responsibility for attacks on sacred sites in Vanora. On this occasion though their statement has been particularly vague. The video shows groups of men training in military tactics somewhere in the forests of the interior on the nation. It then shows a man using the name Magnus Odinsson who claims to be the leader of the Gungnir Hearthguard Regiment. In the video Odinsson states, "The recent election results have not yielded a result that shows we have a strong leader. We now rely on the honour of our nations judges to do the right thing. We ask the All-Father to bless the judges with the wisdom to make sure that the true will of the faithful people of our nation is permitted to manifest. Should they fail to do so we will defend democracy and ensure that the government is just, pious and determined to ensure the Nords prosper above all." Security forces have moved to high alert.

Dr.Olivia Robertsson won the highest number of votes however incumbent Head Gothi, Stein Ulfsson, has asked the Supreme Court to rule whether the fact she did not get more than 50% should mean a run off election is needed. Dr.Robertsson has today called Ulfsson and the Odinic Rite Party "a group seemingly trying to cling to power. The courts are being involved when there is no need. On Monday I intend to walk into my new office, sit down and begin making the change we have promised the people of our nation. It is my hope Mr.Ulfsson will have packed up by that time."

Meanwhile Stein Ulfsson has said "The election should see the Head Gothi command the support of the majority of the nation. Dr.Robertsson has not done that and so as such until she actually defeats me then she is not able to run this nation." The statement from the Gungnir does not however state which of the two leaders they are calling for to be named the winner. The Supreme Court have convened a special weekend session in order to begin discussions on the matter at hand.

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 13, 2023, 09:03:34 PM »

CHAOS CONTINUES

The seven person Supreme Court meet today in Krokom to determine the result of the recent election for Head Gothi. It was expected that the matter would be cleared up and the swearing in of the Head Gothi taking place later in the evening. This however has not been the case as a rather unique situation has occurred. The Supreme Court is made up of seven judges appointed by the Head Gothi and currently all those in position were appointed by either Daniel Stenberg or Stein Ulfsson. At the beginning of proceedings judge Lennart Omdahl recused themselves from proceedings saying "As someone who was appointed to office by Stein Ulfsson and therefore owing my career to the man's decision making I feel that it would be very easy for someone to look at me and should I support him in the decision then I am favouring him through bias. I therefore believe the only safe course of action is to not be part of the panel."

The court then heard arguements from the legal representatives of both the Odinic Rite and the Liberal Odinic Rite about the decision over who should be the Head Gothi, and therefore Head of State of the Nation, with the power to appoint the Allsherjargoði. The Odinic Rite argued that as the constitution states "The candidate who receives the greatest support of the people shall be elected." It requires an individual to have a minimum of 50% plus one vote to become Head Gothi and that if no individual has that then there should be a run off election. They cited that there are various precedents in other nations with similar arrangements. This was then followed by the legal representatives of the Liberal Odinic Rite who argued that the terms stated in the constitution amount to a simple case of whoever gets the most votes wins and like their opposition provided various examples of where that is the case. The judges went and deliberated for several hours after they confirmed that they would announce their decision verbally with a more precise written decision made available in the morning. They returned just after 6pm and announced that they had been unable to reach a clear decision with a 3-3 split. This has then plunged the nation into continued chaos as there is apparently no clear way forward. The decision was left that the judges would publish their written decisions in the morning at which time they would be given to the two potential Head Gothi's who would then consider whether they still maintained their positions.

Speaking after the hearing Stein Ulfsson indicated that he had no plans to concede saying "I believe that if the vote came down to a one on one between myself and Robertsson then I would emerge the clear winner as such it is my sacred duty to maintain the position of Head Gothi until the courts make the appropriate decision that ensures that the position has the fullest support in the nation." Meanwhile Dr.Robertsson stated, "I am hoping tomorrow this matter is concluded formally. We already know that I am the true Head Gothi and I fully expect to be in my office soon and getting down to work." While awaiting the decision Dr.Oliva Robertsson had visited the building belonging to the Head Gothi and sought to gain entrance stating that the guardsman "work for me now" when they prevented her going inside. The Head of the Guard, Major General Gerhard Jönsson, stated "The Republic Guard are in a difficult position. As a result we have made a decision that we will maintain the status quo until the court tells us the result."

Meanwhile some political commentators say that situation could soon become difficult as one expert told us. "On the 21st of every month those who work for the government get paid. That payment is technically authorised by the Head Gothi. If we have none in place then I wonder will these people get paid?"

Discussions in the Odinic Council have however been slightly more productive. It was confirmed that there had been discussions between Birgid Strand, the leader of the Liberal Odinic Rite in the Council, and Karina Ottosson who is the leader of the Liberal Alliance. Miss Ottosson confirmed that "if requsted" she would add her parties vote to the Liberal Odinic Rite meaning that party would enjoy 47.6% of the vote within the Council, 2.4% shy of being able to be the majority party. Meanwhile it is thought that Andrea Jacobsson, the leader of the Councils bloc of Odinic Rite members has been meeting with Astrid Stigsson of the Nords First Party which if the two made a deal would see them have an unassailable 51.8% of the vote. 

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 15, 2023, 10:25:59 PM »

UNIONS BEGIN TO DRAW LINES

This morning at its annual congress the National Union of Students voted 78-2 in favour of supporting a campaign to show support to Dr.Olivia Robertsson in becoming Head Gothi. The body which represents students at Universities and affiliated Colleges saw a last minute motion filed and after a brief discussion a vote was called. Only two of the 80 institutions which are members of the NUS voted against the Union making their voice heard. Those who voted against where Krokom Institute of Sciences and Edelmead University. Klara Gessler of the Krokom Insititute stated "I voted against as this was a matter we had not considered coming up here and as such I felt it morally wrong to cast a vote without gauging the opinion of my fellow students. I personally voted for Robertsson but in my position of our Union Rep I should consider a bigger picture." Meanwhile Bjorn Timosson of Edelmead stated, "I think where the nation has a mechanism to make a decision we should allow that to play out, trust the process and then make decisions if we feel its been unfair, I think this may just be jumping the gun." With the motion passed the Union is sending a letter to Stein Ulfsson on behalf of its membership asking for him to concede defeat in the recent elections and if he does not then the Students will begin a "campaign of protest against an illegitimate Head of State."

Several hours later the National Alliance of Cargo Workers (NACW) which represents those who work in dockyards handling all manner of cargo also released a statement on the recent election. Their spokesman stated, "We have held since, the announcement that a court case would be had, a poll amongst our members. 72% have backed us taking a stance to support Dr.Robertsson. We believe that with another term in office under Ulfsson our export and import industry would be harmed and of course this would then hurt our members jobs. As a result we are calling on Ulfsson to stand aside by Sunday or we will be considering strikes to show our support. Naturally we will be watching the Supreme Court with interest."

The Supreme Court has ruled that they are unable to reach a decision as yet with the panel split between the idea that there should be a run off election and those who believe Dr.Olivia Robertsson should take the position of Head Gothi. Today the Supreme Court however have issued an advisery ruling that the National Centre of Mediation (NCM), a body set up to mediate in employment disputes, should be asked to work with both parties in order to find a solution. Dr.Robertsson's spokesperson has today said, "The NCM would have one purpose, make Mr.Ulfsson step aside. We have clearly won this election and as such we should be three days into the Robertsson administration, however we now sit in political limbo with some very worrying deadlines approaching." Meanwhile Ulfsson's camp have stated that the NCM should be tasked with establishing the framework for a run off and that Ulfsson should remain as Head Gothi until this has been resolved."

Several other Unions have announced that they are meeting with memberships over the next 24 hours to determine what stance their members would like them to take. This evening there is also a meeting of the Joint Command Committee, the panel made up of the heads of the Army, Navy, Air Force and Special Forces. This military meeting has been called "illegal" by Dr.Robertsson who has stated, "As the rightfully elected leader of the nation I should be present at the Joint Command Committee however I will be sat outside this illegal meeting while an invitation is still extended to Stein Ulfsson." We have contacted the military but as of yet they have not commented.

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 20, 2023, 08:25:53 PM »

ARMY TAKE CONTROL OF LONGHOUSE

In a surprising twist to the ongoing saga over the disputed election results General Tobias Dahlsson has ordered the army to seize control of the Longhouse. The move came after the chiefs of the armed forces had their weekly meeting on Sunday and it was reported that they had denied incumbent Head Gothi, Stein Ulfsson, from entering meaning that it was the first time that no politician had been present during the meeting. Earlier in the day Dr.Olivia Robertsson, who many claim is the Head Gothi, had attempted to enter the meeting building only to be stopped by members of the Naval Guard who were on duty. Dr.Robertsson was joined by several hundred students from the National Union of Students who called upon Dr.Robertsson being recognised as the Head Gothi. Early this morning camoflauge clad soldiers of the The Republic Guard, an infantry unit who are more commonly seen guarding government facilities, seized key parts of Krokom. They were seen setting up positions in and around the Longhouse and the various Council buildings, they also took control of the train station, airport and dock yards. Shortly after a joint statement was televised from the General, Admiral Jonas Stromberg and Air Commodore Timothy Ravenburg. "We have seen that the courts have failed to settle this arguement. While the National Centre of Mediation (NCM) have begun offering to settle the dispute that is a process which can take weeks if not months. Tomorrow is a difficult deadline for the nation as with no Head Gothi to authorise the release of funds our public sector workers can not get paid. There is provision in the Disaster Management Act that states that if communication is lost with the government then the heads of the armed forces may act in the stead of government until such a time as communication is re-established. Consulting with our own legal teams we are now past the time when a Head Gothi should be in post, therefore I can not as leader of the military contact the Head Gothi, as such myself, Jonas and Tim are going to act as a triumvirate until this matter is solved. We will ensure the public sector gets paid tomorrow and we will keep the nation running. We give our word that we will enact no new laws or policies."

Throughout the day the Republic Guard were supplemented by extra members of the Marine Commando, Air Force Security Regiment and Army Engineering Corps who have hastily constructed metal barriers around the government complex. It was witnessed that the military denied all political representatives access to the complex however civil servants were permitted entry. A large group of students arrived shortly after midday calling for the military to recognise Dr.Robertsson as Head Gothi, a simultaneous and much smaller group gathered at the opposite end of the plaza in front of the complex supporting Ulfsson. There was a brief confrontation between a few of the two groups however members of the Air Force intervened and both returned to their places of protest.

In a statement Dr.Robertsson stated, "The military I hope are pushing this matter to a swift conclusion, however not only do we need a swift conclusion we also need the correct conclusion. The armed forces should not run our nation and the sooner we can send them back to their usal duties the better." Meanwhile Stein Ulfsson stated "The military now need to bring this matter to a close. I remain their commander in chief and they now need to clear the plaza of these borderline rebels and allow me to get back to the business of running the nation."

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 27, 2023, 08:37:26 PM »

SHOTS FIRED AT LONGHOUSE

As the confusion over the future of the position of Head Gothi enters its second week there has today been a worrying development. With the Armed Forces effectively taking control of the day to day business of government members of the military have been maintaining a kind of no go area around the government buildings denying both Stein Ulfsson and Dr.Olivia Robertsson access to the facility. This morning a group of around 200 supporters of Dr.Robertsson and her Liberal Odinic Rite arrived at the Longhouse and set up a static protest just outside the area established by the military. While initially things were peaceful at around midday two shots rang out sending the assembled crowd into panic. One protestor, 21 year old Miks Vasillson was shot in the stomach while the second shot luckily missed everyone. The Marine Commando soldiers who were on duty managed to reach the injured youngster and a smear of blood was left on the white marble stones as he was dragged to cover. The Commando searched the surrounding area however with exception of a single bullet casing from the roof of a nearby apartment block discovered nothing. A spokesman for the military have since announced that they are reveiwing security camera footage in the area in attempts to trace the shooter. Lt-Col Brigsmann of the Commando stated, "The distance and the nature of the shot leaves us to believe that this was someone with a significant skill and knowledge of firearms and marksmanship. We do not believe Miks was targeted for any reason beyond being there and as of yet we have no motivation that presents itself beyond the idea that this was politically motivated."

Miks Vasillson was evacuated to Krokom Infirmary using the helicopter kept on standby for medical evacuations from the Longhouse complex and was operated on upon arrival. His condition has been described as "Poorly but stable" Police have mounted an armed guard at his bedside however a spokesman for the police stated "This is a precaution taken in many shooting cases where we do not know the reason for someone being targeted nor have any idea who did this. At the moment this is a basic precaution in a live ongoing case."

As a result of the ongoing crisis over the future of the nations leadership a three person panel made up of General Tobias Dahlsson, Admiral Jonas Stromberg and Air Commodore Timothy Ravenburg have taken on day to day management of the nation. This has allowed payments to be made to public service workers which would normally be needed to be approved by the Head Gothi. The three person committee have said they intend to meet with judges tomorrow to discuss options on how to resolve the issue. Despite Stein Ulfsson still claiming the be Commander in Chief of the Armed forces the three men have released a statement saying "Stein Ulfsson's term is over. He does not command us, at the moment we answer directly to Odin and the people."

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 03, 2023, 07:27:06 PM »

UPPSALA SEE'S STREET FIGHT

Following an attack earlier this week on the Longhouse defences in Krokom have been bolstered however yesterday the city of Uppsala, the once capital of the Union of Nordic Peoples, saw a gun battle between members of the Armed Forces and an armed group who tried to seize control of the town hall. The incident started just after midday when a group of six men armed with assault rifles walked into the town hall and took the mayor and several other local politicans hostage. They declared that they were members of the Gungnir Hearthguard Regiment and that Magnus Odinsson is the Head Gothi of the Odinist Republic. Shortly after there were reports of sniper fire at several police stations in nearby areas while in Ronstan, a main train crossroads, the local train station was captured. Shortly after helicopters containing members of the Mjolnir Special Forces were seen on site in most of these locations and just after 2pm gunfire could be heard in Uppsala. While initially they believed the Gungnir were just in the town hall it soon appeared groups had taken various office buildings in the area. Eventually heavy armour arrived and by 6pm the area was back under the control of the armed forces. It was confirmed 22 members of the Gungnir were dead while another six were captured. Meanwhile three members of the armed forces have been confirmed as dead with another two in critical condition. The Gungnir released a statement saying, "What we have attempted to do today is for the good of the nation. It is clear that the mechanisms we have in place are weak. We have two weak individuals unable to proceed in running our nation. We have though seen that we are ready to take hard action to ensure the continuation of this nations governance. We now have seen the military declare themselves essentially the government and we the peoples true champions can not abide watching them steal the nation."

General Tobias Dahlsson, Admiral Jonas Stromberg and Air Commodore Timothy Ravenburg have declared themselves currently as a form of caretaker government until a solution to the problem has been resolved. Under this agreement two of the three must approve any decision. They have however stated that they are considering adding the Allsherjargoði as it appears that the Odinic Rite and Nords First Parties may have agreed a coalition which would give them control of the Odinic Council. As a result the military command have said it would make sense to include the voice of the general public in their decision making on "all matters save the Head Gothi question, on grounds of bias".

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2024, 09:37:01 AM »

]

FUTURE CICRULAR COLLIDER PROJECT GIVEN PROVISIONAL OK

It was confirmed today that the local council of the Uppsala region has given the OK for the Large Hadron Collider to be extended with a 2nd collider which will dwarf the first. The Future Circular Collider will be housed deep undergound and run in a tunnel some 90-100km in circumfrance. This compares to the LHC which is 27km long. The LHC has over the past decade helped physicists gain a deeper understanding of the way atoms and particles work however it has yet to fully explain several other theories. As such the team at the Uppsala LHC hope that this new set up will help understand that. Speaking to the media Professor Joachim Bjorklund stated "The field of physics has enjoyed lots of data from the LHC and we believe that this flow will continue for a good while yet but what has become clear is that we will eventually reach the pinnacle of what the LHC can teach us and therefore we need to be ready to move onto the next phase. The Future Circular Collider is clearly a major project that will take around a decade to construct if all goes to plan and lets face it no science project on this scale ever rarely does. The first hurdle was to get permission from the local council and then traditionally the national government have always given such matters the green light. On this occasion though we face the nation being in some kind of political limbo meaning that we have to wait for the Head Gothi position to be resolved. We have though various members of the Odinic Council telling us they will campaign on our behalf which gives us cause to believe this will happen."

One of those council members is Monia Plosja, herself a former physics teacher, who said, "Over the years the people of our nation have rightly earned a reputation as being at the forefront of scientific research. The LHC has done a great deal to ensure that not just Nords but also our partners have had access to one of the most sophisticated machines ever built. Like any positive reputation once won they can be easily lost and are hard to maintain this project will ensure that for the coming decades we stand as one of, if not the, leading supporters of ground breaking global research." Not all Council members though are as positive. Markus Stromberg explained "This project is going to cost billions to learn very little of practical use. It is my belief that the project funds could be better used tackling some of Mundus more immediate problems." The project however will receive much of its funding from contributions from private donations and learning institutes. One such sponser is Akentech, the nations largest provider of Geothermal energy and whose founder and owner Lukas Akenberg is said to have provided funding of $5million a year for the next ten years. The 52 year old businessman told us, "Science is wonderful and fascinating but also expensive. The money I donate will not fully build the project and will likely be a drop in the ocean but it will mean I'll have the satisfaction of knowing that in some microscopic way I've helped support break throughs in science that let us understand the Universe just a little bit better."

Work will begin once the new Head Gothi is in place which considering the recent outbreaks of violence and bomb attacks is likely to take much longer than anticipated.