Author Topic: Potential Map Overhaul  (Read 7231 times)

Offline Gadshack

• Banned
  • Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Ahkabnil
Potential Map Overhaul
« on: September 15, 2017, 07:37:03 PM »
Just say or yay or nay, i've heard alot of good feedback of people on board with this and some who aren't. I've tried to improve the map by making it more fluid, better looking and larger, its roughly earth sized and not there's an reasonable ratio of sea to land. I've gotten a ton of good feedback in other places as well and I think it deserves to be discussed. In addition, I'd to propose removing the plot based claim system.

As you see I've tried to maintain consistency with the current canon, in particularly EM being the guardian of the Illumic Sea(its not a channel plz) and putting Albion in a more reasonable location(Darfordia is currently equatorial but somehow britain, etc). This is no way final, just a general layout.

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
Re: Potential Map Overhaul
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2017, 07:41:00 PM »
Speaking as the cartographer I'd like to have a play around with this before we take it any further.

Offline hobbes

• Basically New Zealand
  • Spain with no a
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: idk
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2017, 07:42:45 PM »
Dew eet
I scream

Offline Weremark

• Microstate
  • The Raven Lord
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Weremark
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 07:50:07 PM »
Yesss

The Kingdom of Weremark

NSWiki | Notable Characters

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Beatrice/Rokkenjima
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 08:02:30 PM »
Nay.

Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of the Independent Order
Empress of the First Empire of Rokkenjima

Factbook of the First Empire of Rokkenjima - Kingdom of Clysperis

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 08:05:06 PM »
Ok people a personal request, having talked with Gad I'm going to have a play and see what I think of it, we'll make adjustments depending on that and then we can have a yes or no on a final proposal - because I see no value in saying yes to something before it's been tested.

Online Norgeras

• World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Neu Uburzis
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 08:11:03 PM »
personally i'd prefer if we keep the plot based system, it simply is a tool to make life a lot easier for the guy maintaining the map.

In the end i just don't see a reason why we should make ourselves more work than necessary. We can still re-balance plot size along the way, but throwing out a system that allows us to easily re-allocate plots with one that needs handcraft each and every time doesn't seem practical to me.

Talking about it, wasn't Hrothgar a continent like Antarctica?

Overall i think it is a bit too far apart. But that's personal taste,

Offline MikeRaven

• Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: The People's Republic of Aeternum
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 08:23:14 PM »
Nay :|

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2017, 10:38:59 PM »
Ok so I had a little play around with this idea.

My initial concern when I saw Gad's map was that I initially believed pixel wise that the map he was proposing and the map I presently update were the same in terms of size (approx 1500x1500 pixels) this meant I thought what he'd done was shrink the continents down however:

That is a full size base of the current map against a shrunk down version of Gad's proposal, this made things easier from my point of view in terms of practicality because it would mean for me as cartographer that the continent sizes and therefore territory sizes if we retain the plot system for claims much easier but I do believe that that is a separate discussion we need to have.

Now when I applied the full scale Gad background to my full scale base I got the following:

What's Different?

1) I have distanced Albion further east on this map - it could go to the west of Ardia but given what I say below there are reasons not to do this.

2) Ardia has been distanced slightly from Aranye but the continent has been angled (by moving the horn clockwise) to maintain the positions of the Illumic and the Mhorish as there are canon reasons for that MICA, COIN etc. This therefore lessens the impact of the distancing

I have kept the distances between Aranye and Alba Karinya the same for canon purposes again.

What do the circles mean?

I would suggest a small continent about the size of Alba Karinya go in the red circle and that we dot island chains along the lines of Foxtrove in the green ones.

Offline Gadshack

• Banned
  • Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Ahkabnil
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2017, 10:50:00 PM »
I like it ach but some more thought and I ultimately have to say nay. The point of my proposal was something more natural and all that and i think i aired my concerns on discord. Ultimately, people argued my map goes too far, I think this is much worse in that regard and I think it just comes down to there being a bias from the Grand Chancellor about anything I propose.

So I'm bowing out.

Offline Orioni

• Microstate
    • View Profile
    • Europa NS
  • Your Nation: Orioni_2 & Noobia
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 11:08:57 PM »
If you allow the comments of a fellow cartographer who recently went through a similar process of redrawing an existing conworld.

1. The primary points to address are based on first determining your basic geographic markers: Equator, tropic circles, artic circles, prime meridian, antemeridian. This will fix your existing continents in place.

2. Secondly, if you're thinking about adding new continents, would be to draw tectonic plates. These extend both over land and underwater. This is actually quite easy since you just draw a line along your existing mountains and inbetween continents. Extend those lines towards the edges of your map so they continue on the other side.

3. Add some more islands or continents along those extended lines, and you have a few more lands to reach your 30/70 balance as compared with RL Earth.
🇪🇹 The United Republic of Noobia
Nation · Factbook · News · Posts

Offline Snackz

• Microstate
  • 😂😂😂
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Artyomov
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 07:15:13 AM »
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1BfUiFFSzf481ptZaatQsEeIUS-WPNoVO[/url]

My custom addition to the map. Feel free to criticize but don't be mean. That is not nice!!!!!

Also, Could you change the font of the Continents or at least make it readable because I am having trouble reading the names of them...

Possible names:
Camias
Dopundio
Revieleh

If the link doesn't work, PM me
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 04:58:53 AM by Snackz »

Offline Orioni

• Microstate
    • View Profile
    • Europa NS
  • Your Nation: Orioni_2 & Noobia
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2018, 09:40:43 PM »
If you allow the comments of a fellow cartographer who recently went through a similar process of redrawing an existing conworld.

Are you still accepting feedback on possible map re-designs?
🇪🇹 The United Republic of Noobia
Nation · Factbook · News · Posts