Author Topic: The SUN - Lijiang BBQ  (Read 4282 times)

Offline Chistopol

• Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Chistopol
The SUN - Lijiang BBQ
« on: February 13, 2022, 12:59:20 AM »
There had been preparationary talks between various members of SUN and Lijiang but to date no agreements had been made. It was for this reason Mari Sepp, the Chistopol ambassador to SUN, had convened a BBQ at her home in Golgagra close to the HQ building. She had invited the three other ambassadors as well as various other members of the SUN team. An invitation had been sent to the Dragon-Emperor himself or one of his representatives. The BBQ itself had been lit and the ambassadors staff had cold drinks ready for when the guests arrived.

The talks would be informal at first, their task was simple gauge Lijiang's interest in their organisation. They believed that the Dragon-Emperor would fall short of fully joining the organisation but perhaps they could get them to accept some economic arrangements that could be of use to them all as the Lijiang market was potentially huge and untapped in many regards. Adding to SUN's membership was a long term aim of the body but today would perhaps not be that day.

Offline Cass

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Cassiopeia
Re: The SUN - Lijiang BBQ
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2022, 07:53:49 PM »
One of the great things about being host of the SUN HQ was that when occasions such as this happened the Queen herself could attend. Atalanta was looking forward to meeting with the ambassadors as she didn't often get chance to get out to the HQ building. She was not really a fan of BBQ but she did enjoy social events at the Complex of the Queen. She arrived and greeted Mari and handed over a couple of bottles of wine that she had brought along with her from the families vault. She was hoping by the end of the day to have a fifth member of SUN but failing that leave with the idea that Lijiang could be a good friend to the Realm.

Offline Paracambi

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Paracambi
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2022, 08:47:15 PM »
Orlando Mitchum had thought his time in Cassiopeia had been fairly straight forward. He'd turn up to meetings every now and again, share progress reports on the joint fighter project and occasionally complete the odd bit of paper work. Even today when it was clear he was expected to do something diplomatic a BBQ was hardly a hardship. As such he arrived armed with a crate of the finest dark rum from the islands and big bowl of rice and pea his wife had made. He was looking forward to meeting whoever attended from Lijiang as he'd heard a great deal of their Empire and of course it seemed a rather interesting place.

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Agira Latina
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2022, 11:12:03 PM »
Fabijan Bogdanović was a Commander Knight in the The Drenovian Order, it was considered the most auspicious of the various religious orders as it was from here that the nation drew its name. Fabijan therefore expected some high posting within government and wasn't disappointed when he ended up in Cassiopeia, he had enjoyed the climate, the food was nice and above all else the job hadn't been too taxing until now. He was unsure exactly what the Lijiang delegation would want, people were still unsure whether it was full membership or some trade deal but he suspected the King would prefer to see SUN grow and therefore that was what he placed his mind on trying to ensure as the outcome. He sipped on a cold beer while he waited for the guest of honour to arrive.

Offline Lijiang

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Lijiang
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2022, 06:18:18 PM »
The Dragon-Emperor was unsure as to who should attend but with the future direction of the Majestic Empire at stake he made the decision that it would be him who would go. He took with him just a few advisers, none of them from the council and hoped that this would be a rather painless set of talks, he had clearly in mind what he thought would happen but would have an open mind. Upon arrival in his Ardian neighbours nation he made his way the rather unassuming SUN HQ, he was expecting something grander but while the body was still in its infancy he suspected that some large fancy building would just be wasting space and so this was probably more than adequate.

"Good Morning Your Majesty" He said as he spotted Queen Atalanta and then introduced himself to each of the ambassadors gathered. "Thank you for inviting us to Cassiopeia." 

Offline Chistopol

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2022, 09:08:19 PM »
Mari Sepp's husband, Luka, was the nominated chef. The grill was full of various cuts and types of meat while a long wooden table was home to a wide variety of salads, dips, even fries for people to help themselves to. "I hope the food will be ready shortly. In the meantime please relax, have a drink." Luka, a music teacher by trade, invited their high profile guests. Once everyone was settled and her husband could return to grill duties Mari began.

"Some time back we saw Her Majesty Queen Atlanta initiate contact between us and yourself." She addressed the Dragon-Emperor directly. "We understand that you are kind of torn between some kind of trade deal with ourselves or full membership. Naturally I'm bias and think you should sign up but of course you'll have your own mind when it comes to doubts. Could you perhaps explain what's making you hesitate about becoming the fifth member of SUN."

Offline Lijiang

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2022, 08:31:27 PM »
Tielin had expected business to be swiftly brought up and so was expecting a question like Mari's. "For me the issue is that the organisation is in some ways provocative. We understand the nature of your concern, we ourselves have been on the receiving end of the treatment you are worried about but we also wish to be able to pick and choose more widely who we do things with. Even though parts of the charter are optional we feel that it is best to be either in or out of an organisation, sitting with a foot in and a foot out helps no one. We do though want to become friends with each of you and my experience says that the best way of doing this is to promote trade between nations. If possible I'd like to find a way that we can lower, or if possible remove trade barriers. We have a lot to offer each other I believe." 

Offline Cass

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2022, 01:49:22 PM »
Atalanta was of course sad to hear that Tielin saw S.U.N as provocative. The organisation was set up to try and protect each other from the influence of masses of nations but there was a glimpse of hope as Tielin seemed to be supportive of parts of the treaty. "For my part I'd be delighted if we can come away with a treaty that would promote trade. I have though a proposal that may influence this, and it would require the support of my S.U.N friends. I've read that you are building a network of what you're calling a vertebrae port. What would you say if we built one in your nation. In return any products from our nation entering your own through that port can be tariffs free. We'd naturally also allow your own ships to use it for much reduced rates, however should a vessel flagged in either a non-SUN nation or not carrying the flag of Lijiang it would pay its port fee to us. I think this would help you develop your project you've begun and help your local economy while we get the benefit of a facility that will help us open up trade with you. I think its an idea that shows our commitment to being good friends and partners." There would now be two barriers to overcome, the first that of the others agreeing to build a port in the region of $1.5billion and the second the Dragon-Emperor agreeing to let them carry out such a project.

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2022, 08:32:59 PM »
Fabijan Bogdanović was a little surprised by Queen Atalanta's offer to the Lijiangians but he had to admit that it was one that would make good sense and if accepted would allow an important toe hold in what could be a significant market for the future. "While I would need to get my own King to approve I am pretty confident that we could get the finances if the agreement that sits alongside it is a good one that would help all our nations profit. I'm excited that it could be a good first step."

Offline Lijiang

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2022, 09:41:19 PM »
Tielin was rather surprised by the proposal put forward. It was not one that he expected and it was one that would certainly help the nations plans. It would also mean that he could build an extra one beyond the initial plans if the S.U.N picked up the funding and much of the operation costs. "I think this is an interesting idea, setting up a kind of free port. I would though insist that it is built near our capital and that rather than reduced port fees no vessel registered in Lijiang should pay any costs beyond those required for the payment of materials and workers who undertake the quayside work. You will in return be getting your good entering our nation without tariff so long as the goods are originating from your nation. Of course we would still need to hear from Paracambi and Chistopol as to whether this is a project that they would want to be part of. Should they be on board then I suspect we can make a deal of some sort."

Offline Chistopol

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2022, 07:52:22 PM »
Mari Sepp was a little unsure of what should happen. On one hand her own nation of Chistopol was hopeful of rebuilding and investment in their own land however this provided perhaps an interesting oppurtunity. "For our own part I can not say for certain that we would be willing to spend $375 million on a project for another nation." She paused for a moment or two, " Yet I believe the project is a good deal for everyone involved. I think though I could better sell it to the people back home if one or two conditions are put in place. First is that any materials or machinery not avaliable in Lijiang for the construction process are purchased from one of our nations. To achieve this I think the second of our conditions is made. A new company should be formed, maybe with the name Lijiang International Ports Company, or something" she shrugged the name being less important than the concept. "Each nation is given on paper 25% of the shares in the name of their government. By setting up an actual business we can ensure better running of the facility."

Offline Lijiang

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2022, 10:10:30 PM »
Tielin knew that the vast majority of the machines and heavier equipment needed to build the ports had come from overseas. They'd already purchased some of it from nations like Royal Seleucid or Ui Cenneslaig. Now there was an oppurtunity to get a port cosntructed and perhaps snare some more modern machinery at a much lower price. "From my point of view we are happy to work with all of you. We will do that either with it directly being with your governments or with your proposed company. The important thing from our end is that we can secure the port and in return we can make the arrangements you asked for in terms of a trade agreement. I think this is starting to be a really good foundation upon which we can build. So as I see it the offer on the table is that you construct, by whatever administrative magic you wish to perform, a port close to our capital of Fengtai. In return you get to bring any goods or materials from your nations into Lijiang tariff free so long as it passes through that port. We of course do not need to pay port fees beyond those required to maintain the port. We also accept that your boats will have priority for service but we do expect to be above any other nation. Now I think this is an agreement we'd be happy with so as long as this works for you then we'd be happy to go with this. Beyond this though we would like some arrangement by which goods and resources can enter your nations from Lijiang on some kind of preferential arrangement. Perhaps each of your nations could nominate a port in which we have a similar arrangement as you do with the new port in Fengtai. To ensure we can see immediate benefit I would also suggest that the existing vertebrae ports become tariff free for you until your own opens. I think this presents a mutually beneficial pathway to friendship."

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2022, 08:33:51 PM »
Fabijan had been content to allow the Cassiopeian and Chistopolian duo take a lead. He agreed broadly with the arrangement and he was confident that King Đurađ would support this venture. It was a chance for the nation to form closer ties with the rest of S.U.N. and even expand a little influence into Lijiang. "I am confident that we can persuade KIng Đurađ to put his hand in his pocket for this. Its a deal that benefits all of us present and I think we can ensure a port in mainland Drenovia is made avaliable for this."

Offline Paracambi

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2022, 10:02:18 AM »
Orlando Mitchum knew that the Benson hadn't really invested in much outside the Empire of Paracambi for quiet some time, in truth the ambassador couldn't recall the last time such foreign investments had taken place. While people had been discussing the ins and outs and their own nations stances he had been on the phone with his boss and now returned just as the Drenovian finished speaking. "I have spoken with Emperor Benson and I am pleased to say that we will make the money avaliable for the project on the conditions we've just discussed. I think this could be an excellent project for all involved."

Offline Chistopol

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2022, 10:49:54 AM »
After Orlando returned it fell down to just Chistopol to determine the future of the project. Mari Sepp outlined the situation to the First Minister who had been waiting on any potential call. He had hoped for a simple trade deal but now something more complex was on the table. He gave it some thought for a while. On the one hand it was a costly deal but on the other it was potentially something that could open doors to a future powerhouse economy. There was money to be made and in the grand scheme of things $350million was not so big. With some moving around of figures and assets the government could find the money. With that in mind Laine gave Sepp permission to bring things to a conclusion. Having returned to the group following the phone call Mari smiled, "Ladies and Gentleman, Your Majesty, we have approval from First Minister Laine. I believe that means that we have an agreement."

Offline Lijiang

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2022, 07:55:19 PM »
Tielin had started the great change in infastructure just days after becoming Dragon-Emperor. Now he was about to make an agreement that would end at least one part of the three part plan. The Ports, known as Vertebrae Ports, would have their final one put in place. All four would be operational ensuring each of the industrial areas of the Empire would now have access to 21st century transportation. Soon the nuclear power station would be online and more would follow in the coming decades, at least he hoped so. The final part was the new schools which were hastily being thrown up thanks to the cheap labour back home. To have S.U.N. have an input was helpful and their expertise would be worth the concessions. "I thank you all for your suggestion and I'm delighted to accept, having you begin trade with our nation on these terms is exciting. I know that my people will be pleased that the vast variety of raw materials our nation has can find markets and not just that your support with this port will ensure they get to you speedily and in good order. While at this time I will rule us out of becoming members of S.U.N I am certainly becoming a fan." Tielin offered a hand shake to each in turn pleased with his result.

Offline Chistopol

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2022, 05:44:18 PM »
Mari Sepp was pleased that they had secured the most important deal of getting trade access to Lijiang on what were great terms. It had cost a little more than had been expected perhaps but you have the speculate to accumulate, or so the phrase went. Now there was maybe a chance to accumulate some. "Now with the major decisions made of the relationship between SUN and Lijiang is there anything else that you'd like us to discuss?" 

Offline Lijiang

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2022, 09:13:05 PM »
Tielin was enjoying some of the local cuisine happy that he had achieved the main reason for him coming here. "I do have a mind for the first delivery into the port being something important. Some time ago we sold off some of our older tanks to Waddan. As a result we are around 100 tanks short of what I'd like to have. As such we are looking for an easy to operate tank with some basic maintenance. In addition I would like to enquire whether that Zarptica is able to be purchased by nations outside your organisation, if so I would appreciate you allowing our Air Force to assess it."

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2022, 09:17:12 PM »
Fabijan Bogdanović had both good and bad news for Tielin. "I'm afraid your Imperial Majesty that while we don't have that number of tanks just sat around ready for you to be able to be sold, our ASK tanks are still servicable but are maybe a complex jump in terms of progression but that shouldn't be a problem. If you are interested in acquiring them we'd happily tie into a deal where we would train any of your soldiers working with them here, or alternatively we could set up a tank school in your nation if that would work better." Fabijan was confident that the King would support such measures. "As for the Zarptica the intention from Drenovia was always to pursue to recoup money spent on development from export sales, if Lijiang want them then we'd support them having them. It however would require the others agreeing likewise."

Offline Chistopol

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2022, 08:07:07 AM »
"We could potentially fulfil part of your needs." Mari began. "We operate both a heavy tank in the MBT-72 and also a liight tank in the shape of the LBT-8 We do have a small surplus of each but between the two could perhaps provide you with 60 tanks instantly. They are both older models than the Drenovian one and should you go with these then we'd offer the same support that Fabijan has just offered. Likewise we would not oppose the sale of Zarptica fighters to your nation and would invite pilots to come and train with our own if it helped you make the purchase."

Offline Cass

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2022, 08:33:25 PM »
There was an opportunity here to build some business for the businesses of Cassiopeia. " Not to be rude to our friends but I think we may be able to offer something more fitting of what you asked for. You asked for something with little maintenance complexity and easy to operate. Our friends have tanks with autoloaders, we don't. We can offer you Arges tanks, we don't have a huge surplus of them but we can clearly start manufacture of more if you wanted them. Naturally we'd agree to the sale of Zarptica"

Offline Lijiang

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2022, 09:09:33 PM »
Tielin was amused at how the organisation went from co-operative, to competitive and then back so quickly. "If I'm being honest the idea of autoloaders or not is something I'm not really comfortable making a determination about the purchase. We are in no real rush for the new purchase and its more important that we can get things right. I would therefore like to request that we either be allowed to send a few of our tank crews to visit and assess each offering, or better yet could we borrow one of each tank and test them for a while at our base in Lijiang where we train tank crews. Maybe for a month? After that we would be in a position to assess which models would be a good fit for our Army." The Dragon Emperor thought on the fighter matter for a while. "In terms of the Zarptica I would like an initial order of 25 as we seek to replace out F-21's. THis however could increase as we also look to replace an aging multi-role figher in the F-35. So do we have an agreement?"

Offline Cass

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2022, 09:16:11 PM »
"I would be happy to arrange for a pair of Arges tanks to be sent to Lijiang along with some of our instructors. As for the Zarptica I'm all for making sure the deal happens."

Offline Paracambi

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2022, 01:27:21 PM »
"Likewise we would agree to the sale of the Zarptica, sadly I think our option on tanks is not a viable one for you as we lack the numbers to supply you."

Offline Chistopol

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2022, 07:34:40 PM »
Chistopol likewise agree to this.

OOC- With Rob on LOA he was down for this so consider this a done deal.