Author Topic: Honeybadger Diplomacy  (Read 2253 times)

Offline Kermah

• Order Of The Pen
  • Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Kermah
Honeybadger Diplomacy
« on: February 20, 2022, 01:00:09 AM »
North coast of modern day Kermah, 1790

Young Otieno had run the few kilometers from the coast back to the Chief's holding. "Chief Mombassa" he yelled as he hurried towards the enclosure for the cattle where the Chief liked to start his day.

"Calm boy" the Chief addressed the 12 year old. "Whats got you excited?"

"I was in the market with my father buying cloth for the Uhmlang Festival when a big boat arrived. White men got off and one of the men at the port said it was a Chief from a land far off, I think he called it East Moreland." The name didn't ring many bells with Chief Mombassa but that wasn't a surprise as the tribe got very few visitors from beyond the lands the tribe neared. It was though a good oppurtunity to gain prestige and influence above the other tribes, maybe even better weapons. They'd heard rumours of the Kinjanja King's buying canon from Paracambi and so one day those guns may come their way. The Chief called for one of his faster warriors to head to the coast and invite the foreign Chief to the festival.

TWO DAYS LATER

The Uhmlang was a great occasion for the tribe. It was one of the few times that the whole tribe gathered and women busied themselves in the fields around the Chief's home territory sorting themselves out for the festival. Women would be assigned their regiment for war time and five lucky women would be selected to serve the Chief for the year. It was a role of great honour, if the girls was fortunate enough to end up in bed with the Chief and conceive she became his wife and was a Queen, if she didn't end up pregnant the rich men of the tribe would be desperate to get her to be their own wife. Either way it was a way for the poor families to find themselves shooting up the social ladder of the tribe. The foreign Chief, or as it had turned out a King, had arrived the day before and had spent time with his white followers exploring the area. He had become fascinated with the strange Ratel menace that raided the tribes honey bee hives but he had seemed a pleasant enough man. Mombassa had enjoyed trying out the swords of steel the men had brought, it was a vast difference to the spears his own men used and he felt he'd learned something useful. Mombassa made the decision that after picking his own women he would allow his new friend a selection too. Who knew maybe in the years to come a Mombaka women could become Queen of this strange land.

The parade came and it was clear this King Sven was a little uncomfortable with the semi nakedness. As the different tribes walked past girls jostled and pushed to get to the front of the group so that they may catch the Chief's eye. Every now and again one of his sons was sent down to get the name of a girl that had appealed to the Chief.  Once the last of the several thousand women had danced by the Chief he stood and yelled across the assembled throng and called out five names. As each girl was called there were cheers from the ring of men who encircled the whole spectacle, no doubt her family. She then marched out of her Regiment, a little shield in one hand and a knife in the other. As she reached the Chief she exchanged her shield for one made from white cowhide, only the Chief was permitted to have white shields for his soldiers. She was now in his service until the next festival. A woman with a round belly sat behind the Chief, one of the girls picked from last year who was now a Queen. Sven meanwhile was a little awkward but he had a need to ensure his boat to cross the Kyne was well stocked and with the Chief's tribe controlling this region it didn't do to get on his bad side.

The Chief stood and spoke to his people, a man knelt next to King Sven translating for him, he was a member of the tribe who had visited Paracambi and from there Bakkermaya and knew some of this strange man's language. "Today we are honoured to have a mighty chief from East Moreland with us, the Chief has many spears, or swords, back home and is a man we now call friend." Sven nodded thankfully at the kind introduction. "I therefore believe he should be permitted to pick himself a lady for service in his own Regiments." Sven looked even more nervous after the words were translated and needed to find a way out of it. He made it look as though he was looking at the women while he thought and then he spoke via the translator. The Chief listened carefully, his face going from angry, confused and then laughter. The Chief stood and while still laughing addressed his people. " Our guest says that our women are so beautiful he can not make his mind up, in his lands a powerful man can only have one wife ." The crowd laughed at the thought, "He is married and has a son so can not take a woman from our tribe even if he could make a decision. He has said if we wish to give him a gift he would like a Ratel." Again there was laughter, the tribe hated the little beasts. "I have told him for as much as I care he can take them all. I therefore have a contest. The Regiment to capture the most Ratel by nightfall will be my personal guard for the year." The women before them rushed off and throughout the rest of the day there was whooping and calling around the village. At nightfall crates were piled and a total of 8 Honeybagders, six female and two male had somehow been captured. A further three had been killed but several women sported bandages from their attempts. As Sven inspected the crates one of the male ones seemed to be particularly feisty.

Sven turned to the Chief and smiled and withdrew a sword from one of his men's belts. "In my homeland the symbol of owning a sword is one that shows a man is worthy of respect and is a man of honour. On behalf of our nation I'd like you to have this." He handed the blade over "Now this animal" he tapped the crate, "What should we call him as I think he's the boss."

"Well in our tongue we would call him Stoffel, it means the Fierce One." The Chief was still admiring his sword. The festival continued with much feasting and in the morning the two men embraced as friends and the Honeybadgers and the King made their first steps towards home. That was the first and last time that the two had meet, until now.

To His Majesty King David of East Moreland

Over two centuries ago the King of East Moreland, almost by accident wandered into the Uhmland Festival. During that day our people for a brief time became friends and gave gifts to each other. You became the home of the Ratel, that you know by the name the Honeybadger and in return my tribe were presented with a sword. There had been hope from our ancestors that this could have become the start of a friendship with people beyond the ocean but sadly for reasons beyond either of our control that never happened. Now as we reach my third decade in charge of Gotorland I think I have taken our people as far as possible without having us make links beyond the seas. While our nation is well connected to Paracambi I think our old link to your ancestor, and your own interest in History, is something that could give us a foundation from which to begin again a friendship. I would therefore be honoured if I could come and visit the ancestors of that first Honeybadger, whom I believe today is hosting the Winter Games, and to have the sword given to my own ancestor given some care and attention. I look forward to your response.

King Tebogo Opeyemi of the Mombaka Tribe
Katikkiro of Gotoroland

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
Re: Honeybadger Diplomacy
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2022, 10:19:13 PM »
David had been intrigued by the Chief's letter. As a child he'd loved the story of how the first Honeybadgers came to East Moreland and later on telling the story, perhaps with the same embleshiments his father had, to Rhiannon. It was a pleasure he was sure he'd get to enjoy again when Llewellyn got older. As always David had been diligent in his studies on Kermah and the Mombaka Tribe and their lands. It was one of the more complex government arrangements he'd had to deal with but he hoped to be able to navigate his way around it. The meeting had been scheduled to take place in Portworth and the largest city in East Moreland was getting more and more used to hosting diplomatic events. The King naturally was among the welcoming committee which was pretty standard for East Moreland. A rag-tag group of Red Legionnaires hung back out of the way ready to provide security on the drive from outside the airport, meanwhile the band of the Royal East Moreland Naval Service practiced the Kermah national anthem a time or two. The King was joined on this occasion by his wife Queen Stasya and the Chief Councillor Lucas Blakeslee. The Chief Councillor was happy to be included, it was his first state function since his election and while he didn't expect to attend every one he was thankful to be permitted to attend this one.

When Air Traffic Control announced that the Kermah aircraft was on finals the band had one quick final run through of the national anthem and with the Drum Major pleased with the results he gave a nod to the waiting aircraft handlers that they could manoeuvre the now landed aircraft into position and steps where wheeled into line to allow the guests to exit their aircraft.

Offline Kermah

• Order Of The Pen
  • Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2022, 11:20:12 PM »
Tebogo Opeyemi had a variety of roles. He was the King of the Mombaka Tribe, a member of the Conferderations government and also the Katikkiro (considered Prime Minister) of Gorotoland. In addition to that he was a man who considered family the central point of life. With him it was his actions in his political posts that made life better for his family and he had a large family. As the private plane they'd hired landed and stopped at the appointed spot Tebogo looked out the window and turned to his assembled entourage with a beaming smile. "We may outnumber the Morelanders." They all shared his chuckle.

Tebogo had five wives, three of whom had accompanied him, his first wive was Queen Fatsani and she had stayed in the tribal heartland to keep an eye on the goings on of the family land. That meant the 2nd wife, Queen Nnenna, was the most senior of the two so linked arms with her husband as they exited the aircraft to the familiar sound of their own national anthem. Behind them were wives number four and five, Taurai and Aņuli. The two junior wives happily linked arms with each other as they followed in the footsteps of their King. The King had 14 children and six of those had come with him, his heir Prince Itoro lead the way and at the back was 16 year old Princess Hadiza. The large gathering of the family approached King David, his wife and the Chief Councillor. "King David I am King Tebogo. I'm excited to see your nation and must congratulate your band on our national anthem."

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2022, 09:19:40 PM »
David hadn't expected such a large collection of royals to attend but he suspected that was because the Morelanders tended to travel on the light side. He had read of King Tebogo's family being huge but never had a plan in place for entertaining a bunch of kids. He did his best not to show his surprise. Stasya meanwhile took social occasions such as this in her stride, especially knowing that the Mombaka were largely going to expect the ladies to not be talking business. "Your Majesty its a pleasure to meet you." David extended a hand. "Our band take great delight in learning something new and its always good to hear them play something new when it means we get to welcome new friends."

Stasya greeted the various Queens, "Its lovely to meet you all" she greeted each of them. The various people were ushered into a legion of waiting vehicles that would head towards the University of Portworth, the campus had a rather useful guest house used for major academic conferences but would for now serve as a rather good venue for this kind of meeting. David had arranged for various refreshments to be served and while every had a light breakfast he spoke with the King. "Now I know you had expressed some interest in the Winter Games but you also expressed interest in sorting out a sword. Well the Gods Forge that saw the first sword made is here in Portworth, at least if you believe our mythology. I've arranged for us to go and visit it and our Royal Swordsmith Max Prower will meet us there. We could then fly up to Keepton and take in some of the games if you want. Now if you don't mind me asking you've brought a larger group with you, is there anything in particular they'd like to see or do, of course we'd love to show them all the Gods Forge but the city is at their disposal. "

Offline Kermah

• Order Of The Pen
  • Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2022, 11:01:04 PM »
"I would prefer for my family to see Portworth if possible. Perhaps once our business is concluded we could visit Keepton." King Tebogo concluded. "He wasn't entirely sure standing around in the snow sounded fun but he knew several of his wives had never even seen snow so perhaps if the purpose of the visit was to widen their world experiences it might be a good thing. "The number one reason we have come is for this." he waved for Prince Itoro to come forward. He was holding a lengthy leather scabbard and inside it a blade. "With your permission?" he asked the King of East Moreland and waited for approval before removing the blade with a rather scrapping sound. The blade had a few nicks on the blade and a spot of rust here and there. "I am ashamed to say that perhaps my ancestors didn't care for the blade as well as perhaps you have the Ratel." He hoped the state of the blade wasn't an offence to the Morelanders. "This gift is one that has in some ways been neglected like the foundations of friendship we could have had if our ancestors had followed through with that visit. It is my hope you can find a way to restore the blade to its former glory, and I understand that you're an able swordsman, perhaps a few instructions on how it should be used for me and my son. Then maybe we can talk business? as for the ladies is there any way they can experience some Morelander culture, perhaps with your wife if possible but before that I think they should all see this.....Forge of the Gods did you say?"

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2022, 09:28:32 PM »
Tebogo had just said some magic words, he had no idea what Forge of the Gods was and this allowed David to become almost like a history teacher for a while. "Legend has it that the caves outside Portworth were the place where our God of War, Jekar, passed on the secret of sword-smithing to mankind and that the very first sword in the world was made there. Following that construction Jekar himself began teaching mankind how to use the weapon. Archaeologists have found various examples of metal working there and even dwellings in the caves. I'm proud to say it was one of the first CETO protected sites in the world."

David was confident that Stasya would be able to show the ladies the sights of Portworth while he and Tebogo would handle some business. While the two Morelander monarchs quickly conversed they left the Chief Councillor Lucas Blakeslee to chat with King Tebogo. The King had even phoned his Royal Swordsmith and while Stasya took the ladies to visit the coastal caves. The King meanwhile headed to the Temple of Jekar on the cliffs above them, like any Temple to the First Legionnaire this one maintained a functioning forge and a small elderly gentleman meet them. Maxwell Power was the Royal Swordsmith and with apprentices heating the forge up. Maxwell took the sword that their guest had brought with him and inspected it. "Its a crying shame" he commented as he began carefully examining the patches of rust and dents. "Give me an hour or so and we'll have her good as new." A roll of tradesman tolls was unfurled and Maxwell sent about working on the blade while David and Tebogo sat close by.

"Once Maxwell has sorted the blade out we can maybe try a few things." David said, "In the meantime I'm hoping that you can tell me how your Kingdom has fared since my ancestor left?"

Offline Kermah

• Order Of The Pen
  • Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2022, 09:35:34 PM »
Tebogo rather enjoyed the idea of old folk tales even if this one to his mind made little sense. It was an interesting place to visit. There was also something rather theraputic about watching a skilled craftsman be about his business. "Since the 1800's the Kingdom the Mombaka Tribe has had a rather mixed history. We found natural problems such as water shortages, famines, even locust brought us down at times but by the 1870's we'd found ways to peacefully live with other tribes and then through twists and turns that would make a HBO screenwriter confused Prince Chinasa of Balakia ensured the Confederation came into existence. Since then it has been a balancing act of presevering our heritage and culture while at the same time trying to enjoy the fruits of working with our neighbours. I am not the King of a land in the same sense you are. I hold lands in  Gotoroland but I am more a King of a people. The Mombaka tribe is a tribe that still relies of farming and forestry but we do well. You may have even heard of our stick fighting, I'd be intrigued to see if the skills from that transfer into the skills needed for swordsmanship." He glanced over to where the blacksmith was busying himself. "I hope though that your people may be able to help us in that regard. You see it is my hope that we can begin moving beyond agriculture and so we would like to discuss ways that our nations can somehow begin to work together. The Consul has given me authority to negotiate a interim arrangement between us. Would this be something we can achieve while I am here?"

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2022, 11:09:54 PM »
David had been unsure exactly how the talks would go, whether they would be trying for some deal between his tribe, his state or the whole Confederation. David was excited that this was going to be the whole nation. "Well I'm thankful to Dr. Adebola giving me this opportunity. You say that you want to move beyond agriculture and I think that is something we can certainly help wit++h. I think though an approach of completly moving away from this would be a mistake. If we can find a way of improving your yields and efficency then we can find ways to perhaps modernise your approach with machinery. This would likely free up some of your labour force to undertake a wider variety of roles. Now I believe this could be an issue as unless we can help create jobs for them to go to we've created unemployment. What I'd like to perhaps suggest then is that we utilise some kind of deal allowing your nations crops to find a home in East Moreland and we'll explore someways of supporting the growth in this field. I'm going to suggest we offer your government a $300million credit note for grants to farmers. These grants would allow farmers to purchase needed materials and machinery from East Moreland businesses. What I'd also like to explore is ways for your agricultural industry to perhaps support some of ours. OsmanTech is a well respected medical and scientific research company that require resources that don't grow here. Perhaps if we can find a way of encouraging them to get involved in your Confederation it will help create a wider range of goods. Is this something that would interest you?"