Author Topic: Meeting of Five Nations (EM, NA, Iwi, Chisto, Cass)  (Read 3451 times)

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
Meeting of Five Nations (EM, NA, Iwi, Chisto, Cass)
« on: May 26, 2022, 10:49:33 AM »

To:- The Heads of State of Nya Aland, The Unified Iwi, Chistopol and Cassiopeia.

In recent months myself and King Piripi have been in discussions regarding the creating of a mechanism to bring to justice perpatrators of historic crimes that would perhaps not be necessarily covered by things such as the Uppsala Convention, either because of their nature or their timing. It is my hope that having now put onto paper something that I believe will work that you will come to Northfort and meet with me in order to test the waters as to whether this plan will work and as nations I believe that will most be impacted by this idea I would like to involve you in what I consider a draft consultation. Should we find common ground and belief that this is a good idea then we shall invite further interaction with the world until we are able to put in place a global consensus that will hopefully send a clear message that distance, both physical and chronological, is no escape from justice.

I look forward to meeting with representatives of your nation in due course and I am hopeful of a positive outcome.

May The Gods Watch Over You and Your Nation Know Peace.
King David of East Moreland.

The meeting had been several months in the making. First King David had engaged in endless hours of Skype conferencing with Piripi and his team to get something up and running and the more they had talked the more they realised this wasn't just an East Moreland or Maori problem, the Uppsala Crisis, the occupation of Chistopol, even the period of the Junta in Cassiopeia saw people committing some of the most depraved crimes and paying no consequence. In some cases the government of the day gave refuge and now those people sat unreachable by justice. In some cases there was no appetite for the global community to hunt these people down. Thousands of Seleucid military members were walking Mundus guilty of first killing the Maori and then later members of the Cult, none had even the slightest chance of being brought to justice how things stood and that annoyed David.

He had arranged for the meeting to take place at the Palace but first a little field trip. The King had sent his sister Princess Freya to King Robert International Airport to bring those attending to the Field of Greenflowers, what could be described as the birthplace of East Moreland. Freya was keen to get things done with as little pomp as possible as this meeting had a rather grim rationale but a level of respect was needed. The typical band and honour guard greeted each and then they would be whisked away under guard of Red Legion to the place the King stood waiting in a visitor centre car park.

Offline Cass

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Cassiopeia
Re: Meeting of Five Nations (EM, NA, Iwi, Chisto, Cass)
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2022, 10:35:02 PM »
Angeliki Papadimitriou had joined Princess Freya at the airport to welcome her own monarch Queen Atalanta. Angeliki had of course heard rumours and gossip about the frequent discussions between David and Piripi but had no idea what the exact nature would be. The Kings announcement of "historic crimes" interested her, she had fought against the Junta in Cassiopeia during her Air Force days and like her Queen she hated the fact that several of its leaders had escaped abroad. The Queen arrived and having spent some time talking with Freya embraced her ambassador to East Moreland. The two had a long history and were close friends and now hoped that the once finalised "Trials of Betrayal" could begin again to ensure all those who had committed horrors on behalf of the Junta faced trial.

Atalanta though held some concerns, this could potentially be another organisation trying to dictate to the world how matters should be managed. They'd seen enough of that and their friends in S.U.N stood as a testimont to perhaps there being others sharing concerns regarding these intricate "global" matters however the Queen believed that King David was a man that Cassiopeia could work with and so was happy to come to East Moreland. Now as they arrived at the ancient battlefield she was a little puzzled by the King's choice of venue. "Good morning King David" the Queen approached and shook the Morelanders hand. " I understand this field recently had a great celebration, but it is a little less grand than that Palace in Northfort, I wonder what brings us all here?" she asked perhaps more directly than she'd imagined.

Offline BenOfTheIwi

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: The Commonwealth of the Unified Iwi
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2022, 12:32:16 PM »
Piripi was no stranger to East Moreland nor Princess Freya and as such felt at ease greeting her with a traditional Hongi and a less formal hug. Despite his many trips to East Moreland he'd never been to this historic site. Just as King David had several years ago Piripi was keen to be respectful to his allies past. As they reached the site of Greenflowers Piripi had donned his military uniform and kakahu, a large feather cloak showing his royal rank. Of course he first greeted King David warmly before approaching the memorial that marked the site. There the King produced from his pocket a Mere club and a piece of paper. He knelt and placed the Mere on the ground before the memorial and then loudly read from the paper.

Ko koe te mea i whakaekea ano he waipuke,
Takaia nga ope katoa ki te toto;
Ko koe i piki i runga i te puke
Ka moe nga toa ruha,
Whakaarahia ratou, engari kia mate
Me te tangi o te whawhai;
Ko koe, ka mutu te whawhai,
Tunua te kikokiko ki runga kohatu wera.
Teina o te whatitiri, toa ngangana-whitiki
Ka aroha nga toa ki a koe ake ake;
Te taonga me te mana
Kei tou ringa kaha katoa.
Nga ruru whenua
Nga kaipahua
[1]

With his respectful gesture done the King turned to Queen Atalanta. Hh lacked the friendship with her he enjoyed with King David and so instead of the tradition nose and forehead touch he opted for a handshake.
 1. You who, charged like a flood,
Wrap whole armies in blood;
You who scaled the hill steep
When the weary warriors sleep,
And awake them but to die
With the battle cry;
You who, when the fight is done,
Roast the flesh on heated stone.
Brother of the thunder, scarlet-belted warrior
For ever and for ever shall the warriors love you;
Wealth and power
Are all in thy forceful hand.
Earth-shakers
Spoil-takers

Offline Chistopol

• Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Chistopol
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2022, 11:05:39 PM »
At 90 years of age Karlis suspected there wouldn't be too many more overseas visits in an official capacity so when the invite from King David came he felt he had to go to East Moreland, especially because of the nature of the meeting. He had seen for himself what the Soviets had done to his homeland and even as they'd left in the late 1960's with their tail between their legs they'd poisioned livestock, destroyed buildings and even executed town and cities mayors and other officials.  While it would be Darijus Laine, the nations First Minister, who would make all the decisions, on this occasion the First Minister was certainly going to listen to the King. He had after all lived through the darkest part of the nations history and come out as a man respected by all, even a Republican like Laine.

Arriving at the Field of Greenflowers Karlis needed some help exiting the vehicle and once steady on his stick made his way towards King David. Switching his stick from one hand to the other he extended a rather shaky hand towards the Morelander. "Good morning King David" Karlis said warmly. "Thank you for giving us all an oppurtunity to meet with you on this matter. I'm excited to hear what you and King Piripi have been working on." The King greeted all the others as Laine introduced himself.

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Nya Åland/Ui Cenneslaig
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2022, 09:26:14 PM »
Stein Ulfsson was determined to get some good PR on this trip. The Morelanders had been the Ålanders biggest allies for some time now and with the young doctor Olivia Robertsson stating an intention to run for Head Gothi and being hosted by the Morelander Queen it meant Ulfsson hoped to negate any positive impact that had on Robertsson's standing back home. While King David was popular in Nya Åland it was his sister Freya who was beloved of many back home. She'd fought the Gungnir, served lengthy time in Nya Åland and even shared a name with a Goddess of Battle. Stein therefore was happy to get some photos taken with her and he had even brought her a gift, an axe, "Maybe we can convert you from that blade of yours to a real weapon." He teased her as he prepared to make his way to Greenflowers.

As he arrived at the battlefield site he introduced himself to the others while King David spoke with those who arrived before him before greeting King David himself. "Thank you for including us." Stein said before presenting his request. "Do you think it would be possible to have a chat after the conclussion of this business?"

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2022, 11:44:47 PM »
David was pleased to see some familiar faces and some new comers to East Moreland. He'd read a lot about King Karlis and on paper he was a man deserving of respect. Queen Atalanta was someone he'd meet before and had found interesting. That then brought his good friend Piripi whose display of respect brought a smile to David's face. He would have the Priestesses of Jekar retrieve the club he had offered and have it prominently displayed somewhere for the public to see. Freya too had enjoyed seeing old friends and was now looking forward to showing off her new axe. David meanwhile suspected her knew what Stein wished to talk about but that would wait.

"I asked you all to meet me here because of the significance of this spot. As you are all, I hope aware of this places significance" The King smiled hopefully. "This place can be thought of as the birthplace of East Moreland. It was a day that changed the world for us and began a process of bringing to justice people who had acted as oppressors and tyrants for years. In the aftermath of the battle that took place here a total of 31 people who had ruled the lands prior to that day found themselves put on trial for crimes such as murder, corruption, heresy, and a vast array of others. While the manner of their court cases were very different to the ones we use today the concept of not allowing time to be a way of escaping justice was cemented into our nation here. Of those 31 people all were found guilty of their crimes and on spots across the vista before us were beheaded or hanged depending on their crime. Justice was served. Fast forward some 1000 or more years and we now have a whole collection of people who engaged in criminal acts able to live in safety and security. As a historian I know that the passage of time does not always bring progress but in this case it should. No one who has committed the worse crimes against humanity should be permitted to have a safe haven. They should forever be looking over their shoulders fearful of the next knock on the door being the one that will drag them into a court room. With this in mind I have asked you all here because you, like us belonging to the Cult of Helus, have faced great tragedies in living memory. While there will be other nations on Mundus who will no doubt be interested in these matters we will be the ones to start the ball rolling." David lead them to a large stone building that was the visitors centre and in its boardroom, a place usually used by the Greenflowers Preservation Committee, the Heads of State, their accompanying advisers and a gaggle of civil servant gathered around the long table.

"I believe we have three problems to overcome in pursuit of justice. For each I think, or hope at least, that I have a solution that will lead to the creation of a global campaign to ensure justice. The first problem is finding these people for potential cases. The Otikoro Muhali Foundation(OMF)[1] set up in the Unified Iwi is a great example, they have a fantastic track record of investigating crimes during the Seleucid occupation of their lands, gathering evidence and helping secure convictions. I would like to suggest that we invite Mr. Muhali and his staff to take a lead on establishing a global equivalent. Their techniques, their practices and methodology is an excellent example of what we would like to achieve. I therefore propose the creation of the Historic Crimes Investigation Centre (HCIC). Each of us will provide funding, and I am sure certain groups may also wish to donate knowing how OMF have attracted funding from victims who have made a success of businesses. This organisation will hunt down those connected with various incidents such as the slaughter of Cultists within Royal Seleucid. Once we have the names, details and evidence of the individuals this brings me to the second problem."

"The second problem is getting hold of the person. We have seen issues with nations like Royal Seleucid being unwilling to extradite suspects even when significant evidence is produced. This has lead to the Unified Iwi for example taking matters into their own hands. All a person has to do is sit peacefully in their homeland to escape justice. While I think this may always be an issue we can make their life difficult. I would like us to examine a multi-national agreement that would see each of us, if capable within the confines of existing laws, make arrests of anyone who the others wish to see on trial. Knowing that a network exists that will lessen their choices of travel will make their life more difficult. I also would like this agreement see us impose sanctions on individuals named and seize their assets. The harder we can make their situations the better. While this is a potentially useful tool the issue though is getting them to trial."

"The trial itself is a problem. We have nations around the world that will not extradite to nations with the death penalty. We also have nations that have dragged out extradition proceedings for considerable periods and many of these wanted for their crimes are no longer spring chickens. Time is critical. We've also seen some nations critical of things such as the Maori method of sentencing. What I therefore propose is that the method used to bring the latest Seleucid criminal to justice. Having managed to get to Rokkenjima there were issues getting him to trial as Rokkenjima refused to extradite and so instead we stepped in and hosted the trial. Should we get a situation where a nation has the suspect in custody and won't extradite we establish a court here in East Moreland with rules that will ensure that the individual can be extradited and face a fair trial."

David took a quick sip of green tea before waving at the waiting Quinn Germaine, his Chief of Royal Household, who presented a document to each person around the table. "This is what I have so far."

Quote from: Proposal for the Historic Justice Treaty - HJT

Aware that throughout living history crimes have been committed that have gone unaddressed by any lawful authority.

Concerned that perpetrators of these crimes have utilised time and geography as a means to escape justice.

Determined that those who have committed these crimes will face justice

Understanding that there exists since 2015 a mechanism for trying many crimes considered by this treaty

The undersigned nations have agreed to work together by committing to the following Articles

Article 1 - The Historic Crimes Investigation Centre (HCIC)

1. Each nation that has signed this treaty shall support the creation of the Historic Crimes Investigation Centre, hence force referred to as The Centre. 

2. The Centre shall be located in Hunters Bay in the Commonwealth of the Unified Iwi and its first Director-General shall be Otikoro Muhali.

3. Each nation shall contribute whatever funds it feels appropriate to maintain the Centre. The Centre may also accept charitable donations from other sources but must publish annually details of any single donation of more than $10,000.

4. The Centre shall be tasked in investigating any crime committed with the following limits

a) It must have taken place within the last 80 years.
b) It must have a reasonable chance of bringing a conviction for something that was a crime at the time of the alleged offence.
c) It does not interfere in the mechanisms of the Uppsala Convention.

5. After 12 months a formal interview process will take place to name a Director-General for the next four years.

6. The Director-General position will be interview for every four years. Each nation having contributed funds to the Centre shall have a vote on the appointment. There shall be no impediment to the serving Director-General reapplying.

7. Should a majority of nations bring a vote of no confidence against the Director-General then the interview process may take place before the four years limit is reached.

8. Each nation shall appoint a Chief Investigator who shall be the centres point of contact for their nation.

9. Nations are to make available to the Centre any and all materials needed for effective investigations so long as doing so does not break any national law or impede national security.

10. The Centre shall once they have collected sufficient evidence for a prosecution present this to the Legal Panel which shall be made up of a legal expert from each signatory nation. Should a majority of this Panel believe their is a likelihood of gaining a conviction the case shall be passed to the Historic Crimes Commission Panel.

Article 2 - The Historic Crimes Commission Panel (HCCP)

1. The Historic Crimes Commission Panel shall comprise one official from each signatory nation. Hence forth the Historic Crimes Commission Panel shall be referred to as The Panel

2. The Panel shall be tasked with working with law enforcement, national governments and other relevant bodies to acquire the individual identified by the Centre for trial.

3. The Panel shall present evidence from the Centre to authorities in order to gain an extradition to the nation in which the crimes were committed.

4. Upon receiving a case from the Centre the Panel shall issue a HJT Warrant, this shall carry the same weight as a police arrest warrant in signatory nations.

5. Signatory nations agree that they shall arrest anyone a HJT Warrant is issued for.

6. Should the individual be in a non-signatory nation the Panel shall work to aid local law enforcement to apprehend the individual as far as required.

7. Should a nation not act upon a HJT Warrant the Panel are instructed to present to signatory nations governments proposals for packages of sanctions and/or seizures these may include, but are not limited to

*Sanctions against national governments
*Sanctions against Heads of State/Government
*Travel restrictions of citizens
*A ban on sale of certain items related to law enforcement and military matters
*Seizure of individual property of the alleged criminal or their businesses.

8. Once a person with a HJT Warrant is arrested the Panel shall undertake work to secure if needed an extradition. If extradition is refused they are permitted to undertake work to establish a Historic Crimes Tribunal

Article 3 - The Historic Crimes Tribunal

1. There shall be established at Northfort Barracks Military Prison a Historic Crimes Tribunal, henceforth known as the Tribunal.

2. The Tribunal shall be made up of a judge nominated by each signatory nation.

3. The Tribunal shall be utilised if a nation that has arrested an individual with a HJT Warrant refuses extradition yet recognises the need for a trial.

4. Upon a defendant being brought to the Tribunal the role of Lead Judge shall be determined by drawing lots. Any judge from nations directly involved in the case shall be excluded. Two additional judges, also drawn by lots, shall act as Assistant Judges.

5. The Lead Judge shall be responsible for ensuring that the court case follows as far as possible the legal system of the nation in which the crime was allegedly committed.

6. If a jury is required this shall be formed from remaining judges in the first instance. Nations directly involved in the case shall have their judges excluded from the jury.

7. Any jury must be made up of at least seven individuals and must be an odd number. Should there not be sufficient judges remaining from the Tribunal nations shall appoint additional judges. 

8. Verdicts of juries shall be accepted on a majority vote. Verdicts using non jury trials will require a majority of the judges.

9. Sentencing shall be guided in the first instance by the recommended sentence at the time the crime was committed.

10. For death sentences to be handed out the following conditions must be meet.

a) That no agreement on the matter was reached as part of extradition.
b) Unanimous guilty verdicts were returned.
c) The nation which has brought the case would normally utilise the death penalty for the crime.

11. The manner of execution shall be hanging for civilian convictions and firing squad for crimes committed while part of a military.

12. Executions shall be undertaken by members of the East Moreland Royal Military Police unless those convicted agree to the use of executioners from the nation in which they committed the crime.

13. Prior to execution anyone convicted may appeal their case to a panel of thee randomly selected judges excluding those from nations involved in the case or those who sat as judges in the first case.

14. Should a person be found not guilty they shall be returned to their country of residence at the earliest oppurtunity.

15. Any individual sentenced to a custodial sentence shall serve it in the Northfort Barracks Military Prison in accordance with East Moreland's prison service regulations.

16. Any parole hearings are to be heard by The Tribunal utilising three randomly selected judges.

Article 4 - Membership

1. Any nation willing to abide by the terms of this treaty may become a member.

2. Any nation withdrawing from this treaty are expected to abide by any warrants issued while still a member and understand failure to do so may bring about action as suggested by the Panel.

3. Any nation withdrawing from this treaty with individuals imprisoned accept that the individual will serve to remainder of their sentence according to conditions set at the time of sentencing. The withdrawing nation may still be involved in parole and appeal hearings in the future.

Article 5 - Miscellaneous

1. Signing this treaty does not prevent nations concluding their own extradition treaties with other nations.

2. No nation shall knowingly enter into an arrangement that would interfere with an individual accused of a crime escaping justice.

3. There shall be an annual conference of the Centre to give a report on the progress of their work.

4. This charter may be amended with approval of the majority of voting members.

The undersigned nations have agreed to all contained above.

"I believe this document could bring a great many people to justice and also will ensure international incidents are lessened in the future. Please give me your honest thoughts. I would like though to thank King Piripi for working with me on aspects of this document. The cause of justice for the Maori has brought me to understand a great many of you will have similar desires as His Majesty and I as I steadfastly support his cause I will support yours."

1. for those that aren't aware this is like the Maori version of the Simon Wiesenthal Centre https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simon_Wiesenthal_Center

Offline Cass

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2022, 11:34:08 PM »
The document came as a bit of a surprise to Queen Atalanta she had heard that the Kings had been working on something but didn't expect anything as ambitious as this. The document though put her in a bit of a situation. One the one hand she liked the idea behind it but on the other it had elements of giving up sovereignty of her nation. That was clearly something that was not popular with Atalanta. "I applaud the pair of you for this effort. It shows a really impressive ambition and I think there is much about it that can work. My one concern is though that it takes away authority of nations and my views on that are well known. I therefore wish to see a number of amendments made."

In Article 1 a mechanism needs to be created that allows nations to conduct their own investigation in a similar manner as the HCIC and that these independent investigations are given the same credibility as a HCIC one.

In Article 2 a nation can reserve the right to take whatever sanctions they desire and see fit against a nation failing to act on a warrant.

In Article 3 an execution should be carried out by the executioner from the nation where the crime was committed. This can be observed by other member nations to ensure the execution is carried out fairly.

I also believe any custodial sentence should be served in the nation where the crime took place but with guarantees that that they may be checked on by other member nations to ensure fair treatment.

In Article 5 I also wish to see some mention of the idea that this is a system that runs in parrallel with nations own systems and does not replace it. There should be nothing stopping a nation pursuing their own investigations and extraditions. I believe this balances both a nations sovereignty and the creation of an excellent international treaty.

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2022, 05:06:28 PM »
"It was my intention that this system would compliment nations own efforts. The HCIC will at every step share information with sovereign nations and it is my hope that will be a two way street. We all know police investigations often swing on uncovering one critical piece of information and while our home police could be following a criminal HCIC could be the ones to uncover that gem of information that pushes the case over the line. At that point yes either your own nation or the Panel can try and bring an individual to justice. I therefore have no problems with your additions with the execption Article 3. I think that perhaps a situation where the person pulling the lever or giving the order to fire is from the nation bringing the case is acceptable but that the staff carrying it out should be from East Moreland, obviously unless it is ourselves bringing a case." David explained, "As for the custodial sentences I think it would perhaps become a barrier to extradition if the more MCUR aligned nations felt that an individual would recieve unfair treatment as a form of revenge, having a prison in a neutral country would ensure that such concerns are taken care of." David scribbled a few ideas down and hoped they were acceptable.

Quote from: Draft
Aware that throughout living history crimes have been committed that have gone unaddressed by any lawful authority.

Concerned that perpetrators of these crimes have utilised time and geography as a means to escape justice.

Understanding that there exists since 2015 a mechanism for trying many crimes considered by this treaty

The undersigned nations have agreed to work together by committing to the following Articles

1. Each nation that has signed this treaty shall support the creation of the Historic Crimes Investigation Centre, hence force referred to as The Centre.

2. The Centre shall be located in Hunters Bay in the Commonwealth of the Unified Iwi and its first Director-General shall be Otikoro Muhali.

3. Each nation shall contribute whatever funds it feels appropriate to maintain the Centre. The Centre may also accept charitable donations from other sources but must publish annually details of any single donation of more than $10,000.

4. The Centre shall be tasked in investigating any crime committed with the following limits

b) It must have a reasonable chance of bringing a conviction for something that was a crime at the time of the alleged offence.
d)It maintains contact with local investigators and shares details of evidence as it is discovered.

5. After 12 months a formal interview process will take place to name a Director-General for the next four years.

6. The Director-General position will be interview for every four years. Each nation having contributed funds to the Centre shall have a vote on the appointment. There shall be no impediment to the serving Director-General reapplying.

7. Should a majority of nations bring a vote of no confidence against the Director-General then the interview process may take place before the four years limit is reached.

8. Each nation shall appoint a Chief Investigator who shall be the centres point of contact for their nation.

9. Nations are to make available to the Centre any and all materials needed for effective investigations so long as doing so does not break any national law or impede national security.

10. The Centre shall once they have collected sufficient evidence for a prosecution present this to the Legal Panel which shall be made up of a legal expert from each signatory nation. Should a majority of this Panel believe their is a likelihood of gaining a conviction the case shall be passed to the Historic Crimes Commission Panel.

1. The Historic Crimes Commission Panel shall comprise one official from each signatory nation. Hence forth the Historic Crimes Commission Panel shall be referred to as The Panel

2. The Panel shall be tasked with working with law enforcement, national governments and other relevant bodies to acquire the individual identified by the Centre for trial.

3. The Panel shall present evidence from the Centre to authorities in order to gain an extradition to the nation in which the crimes were committed.

4. Upon receiving a case from the Centre the Panel shall issue a HJT Warrant, this shall carry the same weight as a police arrest warrant in signatory nations.

5. Signatory nations agree that they shall arrest anyone a HJT Warrant is issued for.

6. Should the individual be in a non-signatory nation the Panel shall work to aid local law enforcement to apprehend the individual as far as required.

7. Should a nation not act upon a HJT Warrant the Panel are instructed to present to signatory nations governments proposals for packages of sanctions and/or seizures these may include, but are not limited to

8. Once a person with a HJT Warrant is arrested the Panel shall undertake work to secure if needed an extradition. If extradition is refused they are permitted to undertake work to establish a Historic Crimes Tribunal

9. Nations retain the right to issue sanctions seperate to those covered by this document

1. There shall be established at Northfort Barracks Military Prison a Historic Crimes Tribunal, henceforth known as the Tribunal.

3. The Tribunal shall be utilised if a nation that has arrested an individual with a HJT Warrant refuses extradition yet recognises the need for a trial.

4. Upon a defendant being brought to the Tribunal the role of Lead Judge shall be determined by drawing lots. Any judge from nations directly involved in the case shall be excluded. Two additional judges, also drawn by lots, shall act as Assistant Judges.

5. The Lead Judge shall be responsible for ensuring that the court case follows as far as possible the legal system of the nation in which the crime was allegedly committed.

6. If a jury is required this shall be formed from remaining judges in the first instance. Nations directly involved in the case shall have their judges excluded from the jury.

7. Any jury must be made up of at least seven individuals and must be an odd number. Should there not be sufficient judges remaining from the Tribunal nations shall appoint additional judges.

8. Verdicts of juries shall be accepted on a majority vote. Verdicts using non jury trials will require a majority of the judges.

9. Sentencing shall be guided in the first instance by the recommended sentence at the time the crime was committed.

c) The nation which has brought the case would normally utilise the death penalty for the crime.

11. The manner of execution shall be hanging for civilian convictions and firing squad for crimes committed while part of a military.

12. Executions shall be undertaken by members of the East Moreland Royal Military Police unless those convicted agree to the use of executioners from the nation in which they committed the crime. Should the victim nation request the Chief Executioner may be from their nation with staff made up of East Moreland Royal Military Police members. Should a citizen of East Moreland be subject to execution other member nations with the death penalty shall draw lots to determine who shall carry out the execution.

13. Prior to execution anyone convicted may appeal their case to a panel of thee randomly selected judges excluding those from nations involved in the case or those who sat as judges in the first case.

14. Should a person be found not guilty they shall be returned to their country of residence at the earliest oppurtunity.

15. Any individual sentenced to a custodial sentence shall serve it in the Northfort Barracks Military Prison in accordance with East Moreland's prison service regulations unless representatives of prosecution and defence reach an alternative agreement on location prior to the trial beginning.

16. Any parole hearings are to be heard by The Tribunal utilising three randomly selected judges.

Article 4 - Membership

2. Any nation withdrawing from this treaty are expected to abide by any warrants issued while still a member and understand failure to do so may bring about action as suggested by the Panel.

3. Any nation withdrawing from this treaty with individuals imprisoned accept that the individual will serve to remainder of their sentence according to conditions set at the time of sentencing. The withdrawing nation may still be involved in parole and appeal hearings in the future.

1. Signing this treaty does not prevent nations concluding their own extradition treaties with other nations or carrying out their own investigations, trials and sentences.

2. No nation shall knowingly enter into an arrangement that would interfere with an individual accused of a crime escaping justice.

3. There shall be an annual conference of the Centre to give a report on the progress of their work.

Offline Chistopol

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2022, 05:41:38 PM »
King Karlis finished reading the changes. He had liked the first draft and didn't have the same issues as Queen Atalanta did but at the same time he recognised that a balance between CNN and SUN existed with the Alanders a kind of inbetweeners who leaned towards the hosts. He didn't anticipate any big issues though. The King and his First Minister, Darijus Laine exchanged a quick series of discussions. The First Minister motioned to the King that he should feel free to address the group as Karlis knew it would be Darijus' job to push the treaty through the process back home. Karlis took a breath and using his stick pushed himself up right. "I had the misfortune to be a combatant in one of the wars that we are discussing crimes from. I think the chances of bringing anyone to justice from that conflict is minimal as they, like me, are getting on in years. This brings me to my question. You are asking us to use East Moreland as a prison for those found guilty potentially. You have insisted that it shall be what I imagine is an East Moreland military prison, can you perhaps explain why that was selected and what an old soldier such as me would experience if imprisoned?"

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2022, 07:36:05 PM »
David reached for a tablet device from the table next to him and tapped away. It brought up an image that he slid across to Karlis and then invited him to pass it around so that everyone could see the aerial photo of the prison. "I suspect I should begin by explaining its location. On the edge of Northfort Barracks is an adjoining facility, the Military Prison. It is run by our Royal Military Police supported by a rotation of infantry units. The facility hosts four sections, what in a civilian prison you may call wings, A,B,C and D. Section A is for those awaiting trial for military matters. It enjoys a good standard of security and beyond the daily inspections, work duties and PT they have time to work on their cases and prepare for court martial. Section B is for those found guilty and once their punishment has been served will rejoin their units, generally this is for such things as minor theft, military crimes such as being unfit for duty through a self inflicted injury etc. These soldiers effectively redo basic training but have a much higher standard put on them, failure to meet that standard delays their release. Section C is for those found guilty and after finishing their sentence will be dishnourably discharged. They are high security and as well as completing military duties such as routine cleaning, three times a day inspections, PT and the drill they also get some skills education for when they return to civilian life. Finally the part we are interested in Section D. This is the high security part and is used normally for any individual sentenced to death regardless of being civilian or military, its also used for those considered the biggest risk and life sentences. This is where we would put anyone serving time under this initially. The cells are individual, they are kept isolated much more, it has a separate exercise yard and medical block. It also contains our execution room. We expect anyone under this treaty to spend all their time in Section D before the trial and during it. If sentenced to life it will become their home, if a non life sentence we would aim to have them serve time in Section D until 18 months before release at which point gradually work them through Section C and then for the final few weeks Section A.  I hope this reassures you about the facility. We can go visit if anyone still has any concerns?"

With everyone having had a look at the tablet it was returned to David who turned it off and placed it back beside him.

Offline Cass

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2022, 08:34:56 PM »
As the image was passed around the table Queen Atalanta looked carefully at it as the King explained its functioning. Satisfied she passed the electronic device onwards and then spoke. "I'm reassured that this will, if needed, be an acceptable location for people like the ex-Junta to be interned. I though prefer for them to serve time in Cassiopeia but as King David has said this organisation could well be the difference between them facing justice and getting away with it. As it stands I'd be happy to support the charter and this location."

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2022, 09:26:31 PM »
Stein had to admit that his nation had a lot less skin in this game than the other nations. They had only got issues with the Gungnir that the Uppsala Convention couldn't be used for. This provided a hope that perhaps there could be some justice in a way. "Over the years our nation has come to trust the Morelanders. We've worked together in some extreme circumstances and its always come out relatively in our favour." The Head Gothi began to explain. "I'd be happy if we ended up with what we have at present changed. Currently if a member of the Gungnir from the Uppsala Disaster was captured in say Tytor we would face a possibly long and drawn out potentailly unsuccessful attempt at securing an extradition meaning the perpatrator goes free. Now this treaty could give us a way of ensuring those people at least see a form of justice locked inside this prison system here. I would rather that than know somewhere the Gungnir can escape justice. I do though perhaps think we need to have something about early release. Might I suggest therefore that Article 3 state something like. "Should an inmate reach the minimum tariff that forms part of their sentence it shall be the role of the Tribunal to determine whether they are to be given parole and what manner that will take."

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2022, 06:26:16 PM »
David nodded thankfully to Stein for his endorsement. "Thank you for this vote of trust." David smiled. "I think the idea of the Tribunal playing a role in the parole system is a sensible one. As such then we currently have this on the table. Does anyone wish to add or suggest any other changes?" David asked cautiously

d)It maintains contact with local investigators and shares details of evidence as it is discovered.

9. Nations retain the right to issue sanctions seperate to those covered by this document

12. Executions shall be undertaken by members of the East Moreland Royal Military Police unless those convicted agree to the use of executioners from the nation in which they committed the crime. Should the victim nation request the Chief Executioner may be from their nation with staff made up of East Moreland Royal Military Police members. Should a citizen of East Moreland be subject to execution other member nations with the death penalty shall draw lots to determine who shall carry out the execution.

15. Any individual sentenced to a custodial sentence shall serve it in the Northfort Barracks Military Prison in accordance with East Moreland's prison service regulations unless representatives of prosecution and defence reach an alternative agreement on location prior to the trial beginning.

16. Any parole hearings are to be heard by The Tribunal utilising three randomly selected judges. They shall be free to determine whether an individual should be released and may affix conditions as appropriate to that release.

Article 4 - Membership

1. Signing this treaty does not prevent nations concluding their own extradition treaties with other nations or carrying out their own investigations, trials and sentences.

"I believe Article 16 in the Tribunals role will already cover the matter the Head Gothi was covering, however I have added a slight amendment to make it clearer."

Offline Cass

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2022, 06:50:15 PM »
"I'm happy with what is on the paper." Queen Atalanta responded.

Offline Chistopol

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2022, 08:07:28 PM »
The two Chistopolians turned their chairs away for a moment and exchanged words in a whisper. It was the First Minister who gave the nations answer. "Our government system would mean the Chamber of the People will need to sign off on it. The good news is that I know my own party will fully support this and as we have a majority in the Chamber I am extremely confident that I can give this my seal of approval."

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2022, 08:37:02 PM »
The Head Gothi had less concern of the need to find approval from the legislature back home but he too was confident that the people would, if asked, approve of it. "Unlike the First Minister I have sole authority for foreign affairs and therefore I can say that we're onboard."

Offline BenOfTheIwi

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2022, 09:19:10 PM »
King Piripi was the last to give his opinion. It was obviously something he was going to support as he had co-authored this with David and now even with the amendments and suggestions he had got largely what he wanted to achieve and so with a smile he joked, "I personally think this is awful." he chuckled, "Of course I support this I think we have a good chance thanks to the suggestions of our friends to get quiet a following of this document. The Commonwealth fully support the creation of the document."

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2022, 11:47:16 PM »
David breathed a sigh of relief that all four of his guests had agreed, at least in principle, to the treaty. Naturally he had expected King Piripi to agree to the document so long as there had been no major changes and beyond those making this a parallel system and clarifications on things such as sentencing it wasn't too far removed from what the two monarchs had written. "I'm delighted that we have a document that so many of us agree with. This will I hope allow a great many people to feel that their plight has not been forgotten and will in some ways bring closure. The trick now will be to get those not here to sign up. We are in a fortunate position that we have a foot in the CNN and SUN camps so that I hope will be a start and then hopefully we can sign up the majority of Mundus. For now lets have some time to relax a little before we announce this to the world.

The King had arranged for some snacks to be brought out onto the lawn where they spent a few hours in conversation while able to watch a display of swordsmanship as little Princess Rhiannon had her twice weekly sword practice. She was getting rather good and her tutor, Sir Charles Townshend thought she could become exceptional. At around 2pm the King's Head of Royal Household Quinn Germaine informed them that everything was ready and the group switched to the front of the Palace. There was the obligatory table with flags and a legion of camera people. David took the time to check everyone was ready before addressing those assembled.

"Before you sit the Heads of State of five nations. Each of these five nations have in their past been on the sharp end of some of the most barbaric acts in recent history. We have seen the perpetrators of these acts escape ever having to face punishment for their misdeeds. This can not be allowed to stand. During the Cultist genocide in Royal Seleucid around 35,000 Cultists were killed, the Gungnir terrorist group brought about a reign of terror on Christians and those who refused to isolate them, the Maori endured centuries of torture, murder and rape. In more recent history the people of Cassiopeia who stood against the military Junta paid a high price and King Karlis here himself knows first hand of the horrors caused by the Soviets in Chistopol. We know stand a good chance of making sure that those in hiding from their past shames now have less places to hide. We have created a document that we hope others in the world will soon add their name to it and with each new nation that signs the document narrows down the places where perpatrators can hide. I want to thank my fellow Heads of State for meeting with me and providing constructive input into the finalisation of this document and I look forward to further co-operation with them."

David took out the pen he'd been given many years ago by the Queen of the Sky Coast and affixed his name to the document.

Offline BenOfTheIwi

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2022, 12:57:20 AM »
King Piripi enjoyed watching the Princess practicing her swordsmanship. Keeping alive a noble tradition was something they'd tried doing back home rather successfully. When it came to the signing he eagerly took the pen away from King David and signed the document. "For close to 400 years the Maori in the lands that became the Commonwealth were often treated as second class citizens. Once my ancestor Rangi Umaga began uniting the various Iwi's to fight for our freedoms and rights ever more harsh steps were taken against our people. By the 1970's so called detention camps had been set up where Maori like my cousin were used as pieces of meat to allow Seleucid battlefield medics to practice on, other horrors also took place ranging from using Maori for test subjects for chemical weapons, executions and beatings. Almost every Maori family of today has some link towards these crimes and yet so few of us have any sense of justice. When oppurtunities have presented themselves the world has acting to allow those accused to escape justice save for a handful of nations. Now though we hope that will change and our relentless search for those who tried to dehumanise and exterminate our people will be in front of judges very soon. I'd like to thank King David for his tireless communication with me to get this treaty done and to the others who have come here today so that we can begin a better path to justice."

Offline Chistopol

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2022, 08:56:58 PM »
First Minister Laine suspected that this could very well be the last treaty that King Karlis would get the chance to sign and this was one that probably meant more to the King than many. Laine stood, but only to help the King if needed. Karlis simply ploughed forward leaning on his polished black cane until he reached the table. He leaned the cable against the table and picked up the pen. "As a young man I know there were horrid things happening in my homeland and while many of those doing it are now long gone or similar in age to me that does not mean that justice still can not be done. This takes us a step closer." The King signed the document, placed the pen down and then retrieved his stick shaking hands with Laine as he resumed his seat.

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2022, 09:57:25 PM »
Stein knew his situation was very different to the others, while they had problems with old occupiers the Ålanders had to deal with religious extremists. Stein knew that the document would do a lot to help his nation finally bring them to justice when tracked down and so had no hesitation but to sign. "I'm hopeful this will help us ensure justice is not something that can be escaped from. I ask Odin to support what we do here." He said as he signed the document.

Offline Cass

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2022, 10:15:23 PM »
Atalanta was pleased, it was something that was going to be a treaty with global implications and she'd helped create it. In addition the SUN contingent accounted for 2/5ths of its creators. She stood, crossed to the table and without a word signed the paper. "Let the hunting of the damned begin. May Charon's boat be ever full." She shook each persons hand pleased that the work had been done.