Author Topic: The Democracy Reaches Out To The North  (Read 1644 times)

Offline Izhitsa

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Izhitsa
The Democracy Reaches Out To The North
« on: June 05, 2022, 01:27:49 AM »
Three letters arrived from The Democracy, addressed vaguely to “The Current Praetor of the Ardian Empire.”

The first, written in fine copperplate Latin, read as follows:

Hello. I am Jiu Chenggong, a well-known figure of The Democracy, formerly the Feng Kingdom. In our country I am known as the primary leader in the effort to re-open our country to the outside world. I am contacting you on behalf of our people in order to arrange a meeting with your leaders to establish formal relations and discuss a treaty of free movement and trade between our two countries. I am capable of providing adequate accommodations in Haizhou for the discussions as well as travel from the Ardian border.
Please respond promptly regarding your interest in this arrangement.

Signed,
Jiu Chenggong

The second arrived in three copies, one in Latin, one in fine, calligraphic Feng, and one in English:

Greetings, Praetor.
My name is Dong Xiangyu. I am a respected scientist and political theorist in my country, The Democracy, which your people once knew as the Feng Kingdom. You are no doubt aware by now that our people have chosen to re-open our borders once more. Because our government lacks formal diplomatic contacts, I would like to personally extend a proposal to negotiate a formal treaty of friendship. Among the topics I would like to discuss are movement of peoples between our nations, connection of our National Computer Network to the global Internet through your nation, and trade relations.
Because foreign travel into The Democracy remains complicated, I would like to suggest that these talks take place in your own country. Please advise if you do not think this would be possible.
I am looking forward to our negotiations.

Signed,
Dong Xiangyu

The last letter arrived in merely two copies, one in somewhat suspect Latin and one in Feng:

Many salutations, Praetor. Our country, The Democracy, your country’s old ally, has reopened its borders to you and the world. On behalf of my people, I would like to negotiate a treaty on trade, investment, and freedom of movement with your country, which will then be sent to my people for ratification. I can host the negotiations in Tai’an and can personally vouch for the security of you or your representatives.
It is my hope that this will bring a new era of peace and development for our two nations.

Signed,
Wang Mengbai