Author Topic: The Historic Crimes Treaty - An open house  (Read 2390 times)

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
The Historic Crimes Treaty - An open house
« on: June 23, 2022, 10:32:50 PM »
Quote from: The Historic Crimes Treaty
Aware that throughout living history crimes have been committed that have gone unaddressed by any lawful authority.

Concerned that perpetrators of these crimes have utilised time and geography as a means to escape justice.

Determined that those who have committed these crimes will face justice

Understanding that there exists since 2015 a mechanism for trying many crimes considered by this treaty

The undersigned nations have agreed to work together by committing to the following Articles

Article 1 - The Historic Crimes Investigation Centre (HCIC)

1. Each nation that has signed this treaty shall support the creation of the Historic Crimes Investigation Centre, hence force referred to as The Centre.

2. The Centre shall be located in Hunters Bay in the Commonwealth of the Unified Iwi and its first Director-General shall be Otikoro Muhali.

3. Each nation shall contribute whatever funds it feels appropriate to maintain the Centre. The Centre may also accept charitable donations from other sources but must publish annually details of any single donation of more than $10,000.

4. The Centre shall be tasked in investigating any crime committed with the following limits

a) It must have taken place within the last 80 years.
b) It must have a reasonable chance of bringing a conviction for something that was a crime at the time of the alleged offence.
c) It does not interfere in the mechanisms of the Uppsala Convention.
d)It maintains contact with local investigators and shares details of evidence as it is discovered.

5. After 12 months a formal interview process will take place to name a Director-General for the next four years.

6. The Director-General position will be interview for every four years. Each nation having contributed funds to the Centre shall have a vote on the appointment. There shall be no impediment to the serving Director-General reapplying.

7. Should a majority of nations bring a vote of no confidence against the Director-General then the interview process may take place before the four years limit is reached.

8. Each nation shall appoint a Chief Investigator who shall be the centres point of contact for their nation.

9. Nations are to make available to the Centre any and all materials needed for effective investigations so long as doing so does not break any national law or impede national security.

10. The Centre shall once they have collected sufficient evidence for a prosecution present this to the Legal Panel which shall be made up of a legal expert from each signatory nation. Should a majority of this Panel believe their is a likelihood of gaining a conviction the case shall be passed to the Historic Crimes Commission Panel.

Article 2 - The Historic Crimes Commission Panel (HCCP)

1. The Historic Crimes Commission Panel shall comprise one official from each signatory nation. Hence forth the Historic Crimes Commission Panel shall be referred to as The Panel

2. The Panel shall be tasked with working with law enforcement, national governments and other relevant bodies to acquire the individual identified by the Centre for trial.

3. The Panel shall present evidence from the Centre to authorities in order to gain an extradition to the nation in which the crimes were committed.

4. Upon receiving a case from the Centre the Panel shall issue a HJT Warrant, this shall carry the same weight as a police arrest warrant in signatory nations.

5. Signatory nations agree that they shall arrest anyone a HJT Warrant is issued for.

6. Should the individual be in a non-signatory nation the Panel shall work to aid local law enforcement to apprehend the individual as far as required.

7. Should a nation not act upon a HJT Warrant the Panel are instructed to present to signatory nations governments proposals for packages of sanctions and/or seizures these may include, but are not limited to

*Sanctions against national governments
*Sanctions against Heads of State/Government
*Travel restrictions of citizens
*A ban on sale of certain items related to law enforcement and military matters
*Seizure of individual property of the alleged criminal or their businesses.

8. Once a person with a HJT Warrant is arrested the Panel shall undertake work to secure if needed an extradition. If extradition is refused they are permitted to undertake work to establish a Historic Crimes Tribunal

9. Nations retain the right to issue sanctions seperate to those covered by this document

Article 3 - The Historic Crimes Tribunal

1. There shall be established at Northfort Barracks Military Prison a Historic Crimes Tribunal, henceforth known as the Tribunal.

2. The Tribunal shall be made up of a judge nominated by each signatory nation.

3. The Tribunal shall be utilised if a nation that has arrested an individual with a HJT Warrant refuses extradition yet recognises the need for a trial.

4. Upon a defendant being brought to the Tribunal the role of Lead Judge shall be determined by drawing lots. Any judge from nations directly involved in the case shall be excluded. Two additional judges, also drawn by lots, shall act as Assistant Judges.

5. The Lead Judge shall be responsible for ensuring that the court case follows as far as possible the legal system of the nation in which the crime was allegedly committed.

6. If a jury is required this shall be formed from remaining judges in the first instance. Nations directly involved in the case shall have their judges excluded from the jury.

7. Any jury must be made up of at least seven individuals and must be an odd number. Should there not be sufficient judges remaining from the Tribunal nations shall appoint additional judges.

8. Verdicts of juries shall be accepted on a majority vote. Verdicts using non jury trials will require a majority of the judges.

9. Sentencing shall be guided in the first instance by the recommended sentence at the time the crime was committed.

10. For death sentences to be handed out the following conditions must be meet.

a) That no agreement on the matter was reached as part of extradition.
b) Unanimous guilty verdicts were returned.
c) The nation which has brought the case would normally utilise the death penalty for the crime.

11. The manner of execution shall be hanging for civilian convictions and firing squad for crimes committed while part of a military.

12. Executions shall be undertaken by members of the East Moreland Royal Military Police unless those convicted agree to the use of executioners from the nation in which they committed the crime. Should the victim nation request the Chief Executioner may be from their nation with staff made up of East Moreland Royal Military Police members. Should a citizen of East Moreland be subject to execution other member nations with the death penalty shall draw lots to determine who shall carry out the execution.

13. Prior to execution anyone convicted may appeal their case to a panel of thee randomly selected judges excluding those from nations involved in the case or those who sat as judges in the first case.

14. Should a person be found not guilty they shall be returned to their country of residence at the earliest oppurtunity.

15. Any individual sentenced to a custodial sentence shall serve it in the Northfort Barracks Military Prison in accordance with East Moreland's prison service regulations unless representatives of prosecution and defence reach an alternative agreement on location prior to the trial beginning.

16. Any parole hearings are to be heard by The Tribunal utilising three randomly selected judges. They shall be free to determine whether an individual should be released and may affix conditions as appropriate to that release.

Article 4 - Membership

1. Any nation willing to abide by the terms of this treaty may become a member.

2. Any nation withdrawing from this treaty are expected to abide by any warrants issued while still a member and understand failure to do so may bring about action as suggested by the Panel.

3. Any nation withdrawing from this treaty with individuals imprisoned accept that the individual will serve to remainder of their sentence according to conditions set at the time of sentencing. The withdrawing nation may still be involved in parole and appeal hearings in the future.

Article 5 - Miscellaneous

1. Signing this treaty does not prevent nations concluding their own extradition treaties with other nations or carrying out their own investigations, trials and sentences.

2. No nation shall knowingly enter into an arrangement that would interfere with an individual accused of a crime escaping justice.

3. There shall be an annual conference of the Centre to give a report on the progress of their work.

4. This charter may be amended with approval of the majority of voting members.

The undersigned nations have agreed to all contained above.

To:- The Nations of Mundus

Over the last few months myself and King Piripi of The Commonwealth of the Unified Iwi have cast our thoughts to some of the largest injustices in living memory. We sought to build a document that would ensure the perpatrators of such crimes could not escape justice. With this in mind we have spent the last few days discussing our ideas with a gathering of Heads of State from nations with similar concerns. We are grateful that Queen Atalanta of Cassiopeia, King Karlis and First Minister Laine of Chistopol and Head Gothi Stein Ulfsson of Nya Aland have sat with us and given constructive criticism, support and guidance to our ideas. We are confident that a framework exists now to ensure that geography nor time can be a refuge from justice. The more nations of Mundus that join us in this endeavour the better and as such I will be opening Northfort Palace to Heads of State, their ambassadors or any nations recognised leaders to come and sign the document. Should it be required I am more than happy to meet with any individual regarding this Treaty, or any other matter they wish to discuss.

May The Gods Watch Over You and Justice Be Swift

King David III of East Moreland.

Offline fuwapanzer

• Basically New Zealand
  • this man GUCCI'D down to the SOCKS but need $4 🤨
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Federation of Kaimaya
Re: The Historic Crimes Treaty - An open house
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2022, 11:30:22 PM »

OFFICIAL COMMUNICATION FROM THE GOVERNMENT OF THE FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NEW DERUSMIA

To: King David III

The government of the Federal Republic seeks interest in signing this document. I will personally represent New Derusmia in signing the Treaty at Northfort Palace.

Yours sincerely,

President of the Federal Republic of New Derusmia
Ebston Feish

Offline Libby

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Lodja/Kaitaine
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2022, 09:02:35 PM »
Princess Anfisa was not a stranger to East Moreland and having shown her credentials at the Palace and armed with a letter from her new Queen she made her way to sign the document on behalf of Lodja and enjoy a spot of tea with her friend Queen Stasya.

Quote from: Letter from Queen Natalya

As a member of the C.N.N we are only too aware of the acts of inhumanity done to our Maori friends and to those who belong to East Moreland beloved Cult of Helus. While many such examples of inhumanity exist in addition to this it is important that all nations of Mundus send, in the clearest way possible, that they will not and can not standby and allow those who commit these crimes to get away with it.

We therefore are proud to add our nations name to this Treaty and pray that the rest of Mundus will see fit to support the quest for justice.

Signed

Queen Natalya
Guardian of Sessifet.

Having handed over the letter to King David the Princess signed the document

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Nya Åland/Ui Cenneslaig
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2022, 11:12:25 PM »
With the Cenneg team having competed at the recent Ostlake Games King Finley was in East Moreland for the final evening ball. Armed with a congratulatory bottle of whiskey the monarch had arranged to personally sign the treaty with King David present so they could toast the success with a drop of the good stuff.

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2022, 11:53:29 PM »

To: King David

Between our respective selves, families, governments and nations we've sat at many summit tables where documents of great thought and even greater significance. I believe this Treaty to be another one to add to that list, however while I understand and agree with both the principles and the intent of this treaty I do have a few concerns some I believe to an oversight in the formative stages of this treaty's development others are perhaps questions that will need answers once the mechanisms contained in this Treaty spring into action.

My first concern pertains to Article 1.4(d) - "It maintains contact with local investigators and shares details of evidence as it is discovered."

This is an understandable point in that seeking cooperation of local authorities in an investigation generally speaking makes things a whole lot easier for all concerned, however there are times and circumstances where this principle would be inappropriate to apply, I refer here to circumstances where the complaint comes not from the government but from the citizens of a nation against their government, to notify local authorities in that instance would seem to be counter intuitive in that effectively puts the accused on notice and therefore hinders rather than helps an investigation.

My second concern pertains to Article 3.9 - "Sentencing shall be guided in the first instance by the recommended sentence at the time the crime was committed."

My issue here is quite a simple one, which nations laws are to be used to guide sentencing? I would presume it is to be those of the nation where the crime was committed but that is not stated.

My third concern pertains to Article 3.13 - "Prior to execution anyone convicted may appeal their case to a panel of three randomly selected judges excluding those from nations involved in the case or those who sat as judges in the first case."

I have two observations here firstly surely both prosecution and defence have the right to appeal, though I do recognise that the article pertains to the death penalty, secondly how long does the defence have in the circumstances described to file the appeal? As I do not believe anyone would wish to see an appeal used as a delaying tactic.

My fourth concern pertains to Article 3.14 - "Should a person be found not guilty they shall be returned to their country of residence at the earliest opportunity."

Simple question in regards to this - what happens if the person does not wish to return to that nation or that nation refuses to take them?

My fifth concern pertains to Article 4.15. Any individual sentenced to a custodial sentence shall serve it in the Northfort Barracks Military Prison in accordance with East Moreland's prison service regulations unless representatives of prosecution and defence reach an alternative agreement on location prior to the trial beginning."

More a suggestion than a query but the words "the trial beginning" should perhaps read "sentencing." as any custodial agreements at pre-trial are usually part of plea bargaining which tends to see guity pleas and thus the saving of court time and costs - this essentially turns the trial into a sentencing hearing as the defendant pleads guilty. If a defendant pleads not guilty then it is a full trial and the appropriate point to have that discussion would be after a finding of guilty but before the sentence is handed down.

My final concern pertains to Article 5.2. - "No nation shall knowingly enter into an arrangement that would interfere with an individual accused of a crime escaping justice."

I agree with the principle of this however I do have concerns that this article puts something of a hurdle in the way in terms of how this Treaty and the Uppsala Convention work together, I do see the part that indicates the HCIC does not concern itself with the Upsalla mechanisms however I do believe and would strongly urge the agreeing of an understanding between the signatories of both documents as to what happens in certain circumstances.

I do wish to see an Achkaerinese signature on this Treaty, however the first five of the above concerns make it presently difficult to do so in a manner that I can guarantee this getting ratification in the Senate.

Signed

Emperor Peter Azurewind

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2022, 03:32:44 PM »

To:- Emperor Peter.

Thank you for your contact and allow me to ease your concerns.

Article 1.4 (d) -  "It maintains contact with local investigators and shares details of evidence as it is discovered."

You state your concerns are that this could cause problems as it could prejudice investigations against a government. This however is irrelevant as the treaty does not place governments on trial it places individuals. Therefore it would be only appropriate to share evidence with local authorities who are likely to also be investigating the same crimes.

Article 3.9 - "Sentencing shall be guided in the first instance by the recommended sentence at the time the crime was committed."

As Article 3.5 states "The Lead Judge shall be responsible for ensuring that the court case follows as far as possible the legal system of the nation in which the crime was allegedly committed." it therefore shall follow that as sentencing is part of the legal system it shall be that nation's recommendations that will be followed.

Article 3.13 - "Prior to execution anyone convicted may appeal their case to a panel of three randomly selected judges excluding those from nations involved in the case or those who sat as judges in the first case."

As the sentencing shall be guided by the legal system of the nation where the crime took place then the prescribed period between sentencing and execution will be expected. At any point during that period the defence may file an appeal. As for the prosecution I see no reason why, if they have secured a death sentence, they would appeal this sentence.

Article 3.14 - "Should a person be found not guilty they shall be returned to their country of residence at the earliest opportunity."

While in the basis of this treaty it may appear that there could be issues. As the person found not guilty is in effect now a free person yet would be in a situation where likely they would not have a traditional visa to remain in East Moreland immigration law would be to return them to country of residence. As East Moreland has a well defined system for claiming asylum that could be a route open to them. We however are talking about a nation of residence that will have been their home for years.

Article 4.15. "Any individual sentenced to a custodial sentence shall serve it in the Northfort Barracks Military Prison in accordance with East Moreland's prison service regulations unless representatives of prosecution and defence reach an alternative agreement on location prior to the trial beginning."

Your concerns here seem to be about the idea of plea bargaining and at what stage negotiations should take place. It is our belief that knowing the arrangements for such an outcome are necessary. If an individual pleads guilty, thus acknowledging their crime they are unlikely to be in East Moreland for the trial in the first place. The idea of the prosecution and defence having to reach agreement on alternative arrangements in effect gives the defendant a veto on being imprisoned in conditions they may believe to be dangerous for themselves.

Article 5.2. - "No nation shall knowingly enter into an arrangement that would interfere with an individual accused of a crime escaping justice."

You state that " I do see the part that indicates the HCIC does not concern itself with the Upsalla mechanisms".

Article 1.4(c) states "It does not interfere in the mechanisms of the Uppsala Convention.", therefore anything that could be a crime in the Uppsala Convention can not be investigated by this arrangement in the first place. The only crimes covered by the Uppsala Convention that could be tried by this system is ones that were also a crime before 2015 when the Uppsala Convention came into existence. For example should an individual still be alive from the Great War and be discovered to have executed prisoners of war then there is every chance this could be classed as murder and as such allow a prosecution. As this happened prior to the Uppsala Convention there is no way the two could clash.

It is my hope this puts your fears to one side.

May The Gods Watch Over You and Your Nation Know Peace

King David III of East Moreland

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Samantra
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2022, 04:03:34 PM »

To: King David III

In the name of the Holy Kingdom of Samantra we thank you and your partners for the work done and compromise necessary to present to Mundus such an important document.

The Holy Kingdom of Samantra strongly believes in justice on Mundus and in the afterlife and the document put forward greatly helps in justice being delievered here on Mundus. It is for this reason that the Holy Kingdom of Samantra has entrusted me to sign the document and I will do so in the coming days.

Respectfully yours,
Maria Mikhailov
Minister of External Affairs

Offline Altona

• Roleplay Manager
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Altona
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2022, 11:43:32 AM »
To:- King David III of East Moreland

As a nation that has fortunately not had to endure the horrors this treaty has been written to examine it would be easy for us to ignore it. This treaty however is important as it allows justice to be done as well as enabling a mechanism for future procedures if ever needed. As such please consider us as being compliant with the Treaty and in due course my sister Princess Constance to sign the treaty

Best Wishes

King Rutger

OOC - Imagine this now signed.

Offline Jargalant (FKA Eskdale)

• Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Eskdale
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2022, 10:16:43 PM »

Following consulation with the three monarchs it has been determined that the United Kingdoms of Eskdale will sign the Historic Crimes Treaty.

On behalf of the citizens of the United Kingdoms it is our hope that the victims who are still awaiting justice are able to find it.

Best Regards

The Royal Overseer Stanley Keyes

Online Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
  • Boldly staying where everyone has gone before
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: The Empire of DaitoTIO
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2022, 10:51:55 PM »

To King David III of East Moreland, good health and long life forever be yours,

The Empire of Daitō has, since the days of Yamatai of old, known the horrors which this treaty seeks to combat. We recognize the honor of those who first drafted the document, and salute them for carrying out their duty to do so. As such, we are pleased to say that, having reviewed the treaty proposed, we will sign the Historic Crimes Treaty of 2022 forthwith. For the sake of all those who have been left as victims in crimes spanning across time, we owe a debt to ensure that justice always be done.
Signed,
Daitō Tennō

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2022, 11:13:27 PM »

I do still have my concerns as to how this treaty will operate in some instances I do believe that these are instances where we shall as the saying goes "cross the bridge when we come to it." I have no concerns with the principles or intent of this treaty and will see it signed.

Signed

Emperor Peter Azurewind

Offline Libby

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Lodja/Kaitaine
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2022, 03:29:44 PM »

The scurge of the Soviets in Chistopol were a catalyst for the creation of this Treaty. With that in mind and in a show of solidarity with our friends from Chistopol the Theocracy of Kaitaine adds our signature to this Treaty.

Best Regards

Reverend Mother

Erin McGregor