Author Topic: Renmin University Democracy Index  (Read 3021 times)

Offline Izhitsa

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Izhitsa
Renmin University Democracy Index
« on: June 24, 2022, 05:10:42 AM »

2022 Democracy Index

The Democracy Index is a new study created by the World Studies department at Renmin University in cooperation with The Democracy Daily Newspaper. The goal of the index is to measure the state of Democracy across Mundus by analysing five important indicators: electoral process and pluralism, civil liberties, the functioning of government, political participation, and political culture. Each category is rated on a 0-10 scale, and the overall index is the average of the five.
The index values are used to place each nation into one of four categories:

1. Full democracies—scores of 8-10.
2. Flawed democracies—scores of 6 to 7.9.
3. Hybrid regimes—scores of 4 to 5.9.
4. Authoritarian regimes—scores below 4

Experts are now being contacted across the nation and across Mundus to rate the world’s nations on this important metric. Song Yuankai, the head of the project, says that the survey results are expected to be collected by July 3rd.

OOC:
Now, you may be wondering, who are these “experts” mentioned above? Those experts, my friends, are you folks!
The index is calculated using the results of a 60-question survey, which I have recreated here. The survey seems to take about 10-15 minutes. Just fill it in with your expert opinion on your own nation(s), and I’ll do the rest. If your nation has multiple recognized governments, feel free to fill in the survey for all of them. Or choose your favorite one. You’re a free person, you can make your own decisions. Just make sure to specify which government you are filling the survey for.
If you are interested in participating, click on the link below. Please fill it in by July 3rd. Let me know on here or on Discord if you have any questions.
2022 Mundus Democracy Index Survey

Offline Izhitsa

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
Re: Renmin University Democracy Index
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2022, 06:08:49 AM »
Just a reminder that tomorrow is the last day to submit surveys for the 2022 Democracy Index. If you are interested in participating, please submit a survey for your nation by the end of July 3rd. (Or sneak it in a little later, it'll probably take me a bit to score all of the nations anyway.) Thank you!

Offline Izhitsa

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
Renmin University Democracy Index 2022 Results
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2022, 11:57:50 PM »

Renmin University Releases Results of 2022 Democracy Index

The results of the 2022 Democracy Index have now been fully tabulated. As a pilot study, this analysis focused largely on ostensibly democratic states—countries ranging from dictatorships to strong democracies that claim to incorporate democratic principles into their government. However, Yu Yuhua, the leader of the study effort, hopes that future versions of the study will encompass more states around Mundus. “We made good progress on this pilot,” she said, “but the goal, of course, is to be able to evaluate every country. As the World Studies department gains more international connections, this should hopefully become possible.”
The results of the study are as follows:

The researchers also created a map to show the classifications of each country in the study:

Of the 18 countries and autonomous regions that were evaluated, five were classified as either “Hybrid Regimes”, governments that combine autocratic and democratic features, or “Authoritarian”. Due to the ongoing civil war, the competing factions of Centralia were evaluated separately, and found in general to all be completely lacking in democratic principles, a fact which may complicate our nation’s relations with Centralia.
The Democracy Index was developed to be applicable to as many nations as possible. Because the principle of direct democracy is so unique to our nation, the Index was created to measure representativeness of traditional democracies, rather than the level of direct democracy. This may be responsible for the surprisingly low rank of our nation compared to some of the parliamentary monarchies represented in the study.
In general, this pilot study was regarded as a success, demonstrating the basic principles of our metric and its applicability to many types of nations. Although some may dispute the exact numbers given in this study, the classifications assigned by the numbers are largely uncontroversial.
Future versions of the study may include questions intended to measure direct democracy more closely in order to better represent all democracies. The researchers also hope to be able to examine the progress of democracy over time and across different regions of the world by encompassing more nations. Code and raw data for the study is available from the Renmin University World Studies Department.

OOC:
Haven't gotten enough of the Democracy Index, or feel sad about missing your chance? Take the survey at the link here or above and let me know through a PM here or on Discord, and I'll send you the score.
Also feel free to contact me if you'd like to look at the original data or the code used to evaluate the Index.