Author Topic: The Meeting in the Lake  (Read 2685 times)

Offline EricaHozland

• Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Hozland
The Meeting in the Lake
« on: February 01, 2023, 05:05:53 PM »
Cyningney Island marks the border between Hozland and the Charterlands. It was the only part of the Kingdom where Parliament approval wasn't needed for Royal Decrees. It was literally the case that the Kings word here was law. It was the Harbour Palace that was destined to be the venue for the meeting between Lady Charlotte and King John. Despite the two nations being neighbours the two leaders had never meet face to face. First their had been the three year long civil war and then Lady Charlotte and the King had been focused on their own internal affairs. Things had been left to minions to sort out but now there would be the first face to face formal visit between the two. The harbour had been set up for the arrival of Lady Charlotte and a large crowd had gathered to see the historic meeting.

Offline Lauren

• Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Reenberg
Re: The Meeting in the Lake
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2023, 10:38:59 PM »
Lottie had travelled to Reenberg Isle, a small island barely big enough to support a four bedroom lodge house, but still technically part of the Charterlands. A small footbridge guarded by members of the families own military connected it with a city that despite it hugging the shoreline of the lake was named after the Island. She enjoyed spending time here as the island itself was peacefully quiet yet just a five minute stroll she could be in the centre of a metropolitan hub. Small pleasure boats bobbed on the lake itself. An imaginary line through the middle of the Lake marking the border between the two nations. At certain points a bright orange buoy bobbed designating the border. This morning a small motor boat picked her up. Already inside was Katarina Yacobs, a trusted aide who was officially one of the "Auditors of the Charter" meaning it was her responsibility to ensure each of the Charters complied with their arrangements, that role though was largely ceremonial. Today she would be acting in her unofficial capacity as simply a good sound mind that Lottie could consult if needed. The trip across the lake took about twenty minutes before they pulled up alongside a jetty. A Naval rating helped the two ladies ashore and then the three man crew of the boat headed off to await the call to transport the party home. They intended to take advantage of the time off and get some fishing in.

Lottie and Katarina made their way over to King John and exchanged handshakes. "Please remind me the next time we meet to do this in summer. The lake is much prettier then don't you think. It's been far too long since I was in Hozland. Please I've brought something to hopefully toast the renewel of the annual tradition." She handed over a bottle of Champagne made in Ferrum, one of the Charters that made up her nation.

Offline EricaHozland

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2023, 12:50:20 AM »
The royal family of Hozland had lined up to welcome Lady Charlotte. If the rumours were true she was not exactly a fine Christian woman but she was someone had significant influence on their nation with her having the responsibility for one border. King John gladly accepted the bottle of Champagne and examined the label. "Very nice. Thank you very much Lady Charlotte" he handed the bottle off to Prince Rupert who likewise examined the label, gave an impressed smile and then walked the bottle over to a group of white jacketed staff, one of whom hurried off with it. The Prince returned to his family who had been engaging in small talk with their guest. "Lets get inside" King John suggested and walked beside Lottie while his wife flanked Katarina until they reached the house where the talks would take place. It was a two floor yellow stone building with a red roof. It was a place the family spent a lot of the summer. It was sealed off from the street and dockside by a wall of perfectly cut green hedges about waist high. A small gate was held open by a member of staff as the group made their way though it. Inside the living room had been prepared so they could all sit and discuss matters of importance.

King John prepared to start, "Now both of us know that this meeting should take place annually between us to discuss matters of this border but both of us have been rather poor in keeping that agreement going. Til now that agreement has been informal. I think perhaps in light of what has happened in our nation and the way we've neglected this arrangement we should formalise it. In that regard I'd also like to explore turning the lake region into some kind of economic agreement between us. Think of it as a Free Trade Zone, we have potentially a very pourous border that could be a blessing or a curse. However for this to work I suspect I'd need to know the ins and outs of policy in your nation, is it land held by you or by someone else and how can we move forward?"

Offline Lauren

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2023, 10:34:03 PM »
It was true that at some point an agreement had been reached that the two leaderships had agreed to meet annually. The vast majority of those historic meetings had taken place at the same spot Lottie now spoke to the royals from Hozland. "In terms of the meeting I wonder if perhaps a novel way may be found to make sure that communication between us is much simpler." Lottie fished into her laptop bag and found what she was looking for, "This" she showed King John a picture she had been given that had made her have a thought which even now was not fully formed. "We have been toying with building a couple of these for use as almost pop up schools. For special occasions they'd be towed to somewhere just off the shoreline and students or guests could use them for conferences or other things. What I think could be quiet a novel idea but useful to the idea of co-operation between us would be if we utilised one for a shared office between members of our government. We can have it converted to a working office, function room, living accomodation and essentially become an almost mini embassy between us. It could be used as a venue for future talks between us too." She left the photo in the care of the royals.

"As for a Free Trade Zone I think this is an excellent idea. We control as a family all the land that borders the lake so from our side the matter should be pretty straight forward. We make an agreement between your Kingdom and our family, the decision then falls to you as to what level of interaction you would like with the other Charters, would you want them all to be able to access it or just a handful?"

Offline EricaHozland

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2023, 10:39:09 PM »
The King looked at the image and found himself smiling, not because he was pleased with the suggestion but because he was trying to imagine living on such a facility. Perhaps this would be a positing for some relatively new diplomat being given a chance to learn the ropes with a relatively straight forward friendship while also showing their dedication by living in such circumstances. It was though a good idea. "I like the idea. Its rather unique but it would ensure that we have a very clear defined route of discussion between us. Its a really important thing for us moving forward so I will naturally support it and if needed I'd be willing to contribute the money to pay our share of the project."

John knew the system in Reenburg was rather complex but he also knew that all paths to dealing in that nation went through Lottie. "I'd be happy to explore some Free Trade Zones, perhaps if we nominate a place on our side of the lake while you nominate one on yours, these locations would act as a funnel, any good entering through them would be exempt import tax or some other kind of concessions. From that point onwards the goods would be treated as domestic. Is that the kind of arrangement that you wanted?"

Offline Lauren

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2023, 10:10:45 AM »
"I believe that the construction of the floating island is all but complete and the costs covered, however thank you for the offer. As for the day to day maintainence and running costs then I agree that it should be covered equally. What you describe is exactly what I had hoped for. It would help streamline trade between our two nations and of course help our businesses get involved in potentially new markets, especially as many of our industries are run by small and middle size entrepreneurs. I would ensure though that our port is one that is under our families control. That would then allow me to ensure my clients rely on me for their access, not that I would stop them but it ensures the hierachy that mantains our nation. Do you have a text in mind or do we need to begin drafting one?"