Author Topic: Queens Foundation Awards 2023  (Read 1108 times)

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
Queens Foundation Awards 2023
« on: October 06, 2023, 05:27:40 PM »

The Queen's Foundation Awards (otherwise known as the Queen's Medals), are a set of awards granted to people each year in acknowledgement of their accomplishments across a variety of different fields, are once more upon us. This year we intend to award prizes for accomplishments in the fields of Chemistry, Physics, Physiology and Medicine, Literature or Journalism, Peace, Economics, Engineering, Archaeology and Anthropology, Mathematics and Climate Science (OOC - this essentially combines various RL awards together). Nominations will be open until the 27th of October with the winners being announced on the 1st of November at a reception hosted by Queen's College of the University of Artaxia.

We look forward to another celebration of humankind's accomplishments.

Charlotte Youngson
Chair of the Queen's Foundation

OOC Explanation

Ok this is essentially modelled on the Nobel Prizes. You can nominate any of your own characters, someone else's character, or even an international organisation if you can justify it in any of the fields. There are some rules regarding nominations explained below. All I ask is that people be reasonable, this is intended as a fun RP event not a competition. Also, on the principle of every prize being awarded on the night I will award prizes without nominations myself.

The Rules

1) The reason for the nomination (I.e. what the nominee has done) must have happened between the 31st of October 2022 and the 27th of October 2023 - i.e. the period between last years nominations closing and this years nominations closing.

2) The reason must be a completed RP event - for example if the SSC Honeybadger was nominated then it must have achieved the speed record and not still be being constructed. This also means it must be something on the forum. The nomination period is deliberately long to give everyone the opportunity to complete RP's that may be relevant.

3) The reason must be feasible (within the RP rules) - self explanatory.

4) The Queen's Foundation reserves the right to reject a nomination should it deem it to be inappropriate.

The Nomination Form

Please fill out the following form to nominate for a prize

Code: [Select]
Name of Nominee: (Link to character profile if they have one desired but not essential, do include titles)
Field Nominated in: Chemistry/Physics/Physiology and Medicine/Literature and Journalism/Peace/Economics/Engineering/Archaeology and Anthropology/Mathematics/Climate - Delete as Appropriate
Reason for Nomination: What have they done to earn the nomination?
Supporting Letter: Why you (the person nominating) think they should be given the award, signed by the person doing the nominating (must not be the nominee and you can nominate someone from another nation).

If anyone has questions get in touch with me on discord or PM.

Offline Libby

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Lodja/Kaitaine
Re: Queens Foundation Awards 2023
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2023, 09:42:58 PM »
Name of Nominee: His Majesty King David III of East Moreland and His Grace Grand Duke Hugo Lascelles of Bakkermaya
Field Nominated in: Peace
Reason for Nomination: Between the two of them, while working in isolation, they contributed heavily towards the ceasation of hositilies between Rokkenjima and Daito.
Supporting Letter:

Dear Foundation Members

I am writing to nominate two individuals to jointly share this years Award for Peace. During the mid part of this year we saw a brief but sadly tragic clash between Rokkenjima and Daito over a series of undisputed isles. Perhaps this conflict may also have been caused by manipulation of various factions however the results poised Ardia, and perhaps Mundus on the edge of a massive conflict. This was resolved through the use of the Ardian Assembly being steered by Grand Duke Hugo Lascelles and while equally important and in isolation to His Grace the work of the East Moreland military under the command of King David III. By the use of careful diplomatic negotiation the Grand Duke was able to see hositilies halted giving East Moreland's experts in military analysis time to carry out a number of investigations which helped sooth tensions between the nations. This gave the Grand Duke time to propose and then negotiate and agreement that not only ensured conflicts halted but have, I hope, laid a framework to ensure the same region does not see similar flare ups in the future. I therefore believe whole heartedly that the duo should share this award as without both being involved many more lives could have been lost.

Blessings of the Goddess
Queen Natalya of Lodja.
Guardian of Sessifet.

Offline Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
  • Boldly staying where everyone has gone before
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: The Empire of DaitoTIO
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2023, 11:18:00 PM »
Name of Nominee: Dr. Joji Watabe, PhD., Director of the Imperial Ignition Facility, Tadakatsu Ujihara Imperial Laboratory
Field Nominated in: Physics
Reason for Nomination: Successful accomplishment and repetition of scientific breakeven in an inertial confinement fusion research device
Supporting Letter:
Quote from: Nomination of Dr. Joji Watabe
Dear Foundation Members,

I am writing to you on the behalf of the honorable Dr. Joji Watabe, the Director of the Imperial Ignition Facility at the Tadakatsu Ujihara Imperial Laboratory in Nagato, Okawa Prefecture, with the intent to nominate this individual. Dr. Watabe, who has worked at Tadakatsu Ujihara since the mid-80s, has personally supervised the research at the Imperial Ignition Facility since 2011, during which time several breakthroughs have been made. While others in the field have made major strides in the pursuit of achieving scientific breakeven, or "Ignition", in a nuclear reactor, most notably the Altonan Electrical Syndicate, which was the first to achieve a burning plasma in early 2022, the Imperial Ignition Facility was the first to successfully achieve this lofty goal, generating 1.3 Mj in a few nanoseconds before repeating the experiment on the 16th of December, 2022. In this repeat of the experiment, 2.05 Mj was delivered to a target via laser, through which 3.15 Mj of electricity was generated. The findings were then published via ScholarGate on the 8th of August, and further efforts to repeat the experiment are now underway across the globe. Words alone cannot express the importance of this milestone in fusion research, which, if given more time to develop, will undoubtedly change the world forever.
Sincerely yours,
Hiroko Amari,
Minister of Energy, Empire of Daitō

Name of Nominee: Dr. Fumihiko Wakamisugi, PhD., Gakushūin University
Field Nominated in: Archaeology
Reason for Nomination: Discovery of a Kōfukō-type Cadaver belonging to the first Emperor of Daitō, as well as numerous discoveries at the Kamiishizumisanzai Tomb near Tenkyo and the development of techniques allowing safe access to Archaeological sites at risk of contamination.
Supporting Letter:
Quote from: Nomination of Dr. Fumihiko Wakamisugi
To the esteemed members of the Queens Foundation,

On the behalf of Gakushuin University in Shinkyo, I, the President of our fair university, wish to nominate Dr. Fumihiko Wakamisugi, the head of our Archaeology Department, for the 2023 Queen's Medal for Archaeology. The reason for this nomination is due to the successful demonstration of techniques which allow for archaeologists to access sites without risking significant damage to artifacts held within, most notably the developing, in conjunction with engineers at our University, an airlock which can allow said access. This airlock is a derivative of those developed to examine tombs in Abydos in the 1980s, primarily to gain air samples, however it has only been due to recent efforts to prepare mankind for the voyage to Nergal that the requisite technology to create such an airlock has become available. Dr. Wakamisugi and his team have also uncovered thousands of well-preserved artifacts dating to the late Kofun and early Asago periods, including teracotta statues, chariots, weapons, and historical texts, alongside a great many human and animal remains believed to have been sealed within the tomb as sacrifices. Of course, the most significant discovery at the tomb thus far—indeed one of the most significant in the history of Archaeology within the country—is the discovery of a Kōfukō-type Cadaver which was, through an autopsy carried out by Kunaishō Hospital personnel, confirmed to belong to Emperor Tengyō, dating the corpse to more than 2,000 years old. While his work continues, we believe that what has already been learned of our distant past has earned him this award.
Signed,
Dr. Jūbei Hori,
President of Gakushuin University

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2023, 09:37:41 PM »
I'm extending the nomination period until Tuesday.

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2023, 01:28:13 PM »
Name of Nominee: EMAC
Field Nominated in: Engineering
Reason for Nomination: Extending the world speed Record
Supporting Letter:

To the Queens Foundation

I would like to nominate EMAC for the engineering award based on their work constructing SSC Honeybadger Once again the engineers, scientists and other staff at EMAC have been pushing at the boundaries of what is possible in terms of engineering. While many would consider the projects based on speed a vanity project their findings and advancements have and will support other fields of engineering. I therefore believe the team deserve the award for engineering.

May The Gods Watch Over You and Your Nation Know Peace

King David III of East Moreland.

Name of Nominee: OsmanTech
Field Nominated in: Climate
Reason for Nomination: Experimental Carbon capture programme
Supporting Letter:

I would like to nominate OsmanTech for their Carbon Capture experiment. The company have been distributing basalt powder to farms which has meant carbon has been captured by the stone and when in powder form has been washed to the sea where it forms calcium carbonate that will trap carbon for millions of years. The project also has the ability to help fertilise farms and reduce the amount of man made fertilisers.

Name of Nominee: OsmanTech
Field Nominated in: Medicine and/or Chemistry (your choice)
Reason for Nomination: Creation of a "Glass Mouse"
Supporting Letter:

I would like to nominate OsmanTech for their "Glass Mouse" experiment. The company have been investigating ways to help improve the analysis of tissues being used in the study of certain illnesses such as cancer, alzheimers etc. Their work will not directly cure these things but will, it is hoped, speed up the discovery of data on these diseases and thus help us overcome their impacts on people's lives. 

Name of Nominee: Reenberg Mineral Trade Ltd
Field Nominated in: Climate
Reason for Nomination: Use of Seaweed for Carbon Capture
Supporting Letter:

I would like to nominate RMT for their "Seaweed Carbon Capture" experiment. The company have been investigating ways to capture carbon from the environment. By using seaweed to capture carbon, the process the seaweed into bales which sink the carbon will locked on the bottom of the ocean. This project is unlikely to stop the climate change we see however it is likely to slow it and enable us to have time in which to look for ways we can have greater impacts. 

King David III of East Moreland