Author Topic: [Canon Building] Historical and Cultural Connections Megathread  (Read 6053 times)

Offline Gadshack

• Banned
  • Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Ahkabnil
History and Culture of Mundus

Getting Out of the Bubble

This Historical and Cultural Connections Megathread provides a worldbuilding space for people to interconnect their nation's historically and culturally in ways that make sense. Having fleshed out history and unique cultures, that have seamlessly adapted to eachother provides content that enables more depth and nuance to our fictional little nations, and it gives a ton of historical context to how are nation's are today, providing more Roleplay opportunities in which we can base storylines on. This makes the world more cohesive and gives a clear picture of what RP can be pursued and how things can built/adapted.

To have everyone on the same page, there will be a roughly historical outline following a series of world impacting events.

The Birth of Civilization: where did it take place

Ancient Empires, Kingdoms, People and Migrations: empires and others akin to rome, and the mass of human migrations, this period on Mundus can be more or less considered a more pastoral time.

The rise of Ardia: an Empire which rose and nearly conquered the world at one point, rival empires included the Rus Empire, Quywe and more.

The collapse of Ardia: a world impacting event, made possible  by a series of wars, rebellion and stagnate traditions/lack of technological recognition of the weathering empire.

The Great War/World War: there is only reason to have one world war on Mundus and that's with the crumbling of the Ardian Empire. This is alos a time of collapse for the Quywe, Rus and other empires as revolution and dissent reaches wide. A series of wars fueled by Ethnic tensions, political revolution and economic collapse would spark, known collectively as the Great War or Wars.

Rise of Modern Nation States: Many nations we see today whether they were part of the empires or not finally come to fruition, vying for power, peace and wealth. The invention of nuclear weapons throws the world into cold war of competing blocs, most prevalent being Rodina, amassing a world wide communist revolution.

These pivotal points are a jumping off point to cooperate with others and expand into untouched eras. Remember, no nation lives in a bubble, events and history affects it, in turn this provides sensible modern RP. Cultural connections are important as well, it defines history, such as our version of "westernization" which would likely be "Ardianization" and how our people's interacted and adapted to eachother, language wise, custom wise, ethnically, and so on.

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
Re: [Canon Building] Historical and Cultural Connections Megathread
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 04:25:11 PM »
Re the Great War, having today written up the Rodina factbook the Rus Empire for histories to work is already gone at that point I have the collapse of the Rus Empire in 1760 in a Communist revolution which then spreads to Kaitaine in the 1800's given that the Rus Empire has little relevance to the current RP it's fairer to collapse that earlier than ask people to rework established histories. This also coincidentally helps the war period a little in that it allows the possibility of Abydos having an empire and being a more prominent player which is good because that's the nation that's getting the bomb dropped on it at the end of it.

I'd also like to suggest that the period run from 1913 - 1945 with the trigger for the war being Sutherland's successful revolution against the Ardian's as that can spark other uprisings in the area and force conflict. I'll leave the Horn to the peeps who are there because they've already got things well advanced.

Offline Lakhzovia

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Lakhzovia
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 04:45:49 PM »
I've left the history of Rhand relatively vague in order to make it easier to adapt to projects such as this.

Basically it was a client kingdom of the Ardian Empire and has been in a total mess since the empire's collapse - whenever that happened.

Offline Norgeras

• World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Neu Uburzis
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 08:40:47 PM »
for the Ancient empires we need something roman after all, i think Achkaerin, myself and several others have mentions of it.

My intention for them was that they had a little Border City and some outposts in my Territory that crumbled away in the end when it became to expensive to keep them up. Mostly still worshiping a Greek-roman Pantheon when they pulled out of my Area, ruled by an Emperor at the Time.

later my Area was supposedly never part of any bigger nation and only small bits and pieces that mostly hated on each other until my current iteration established itself.

For the world war, so far i had intended for my People to still be telling the rest of the world to stick it where the sun doesn't shine at that point in time, so they would have been hostile to anyone trying to cross the borders. unless there is some mayor need for their involvement i don't see them partaking.

Though maybe i might retcon the Mermaids first appearance further back in time to match with the World-War, thus i would have had a bunch of Female Mercenaries hanging around.

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Republic of Québec
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 03:07:11 PM »
I've been looking for a causus belli as to why ES joined the war; Sutherland at the time of their revolution against the Ardians were and are Catholics, perhaps the most probably reason for simply aiding one's christian brothers could be justified and aid in the fight against imperial oppressors?

Offline Sam

• Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Saheristan
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 02:19:30 PM »
I haven't written up anything regarding this since I envisage Saheristan being a colonial possession at the time of the World Wars. I wasn't initially going to go down this path, but my nation is prime real estate next to the Matilda Channels and it provides some cultural links between myself and another player. This would have taken place during the early 18th century.

At some stage in the fifties or possibly up to the sixties depending on how hard the colonial overlord was holding on, Saheristan will become independent. Whether this happens peacefully or in a bloody French Algeria style conflict can then be worked out between the overlord and myself.

Any immediate takers to be Saheristan's coloniser?

President Khalid Amin Ashkan
The Republic of Saheristan

Wiki Pages:
Saheristan Profile
Insurgency in Lalishistan

Offline Weremark

• Microstate
  • The Raven Lord
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Weremark
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 02:47:07 PM »
When I brought Weremark's idea over to TIO, I did also import my cultural links to other players and my general 'major player' status in medieval times, largely to make up for my stagnant and relatively weak modern nation. Thus, Weremark's former state (colloquially called Greater Weremark) encompassed modern Weremark, Aurora, and parts of Heimar. On the same note, I have a confirmed former colony in Wahland. ES spoke with me yesterday about Balticum being a former Werman colony, which speaks Werman, and I believe I spoke earlier with Syph. about Herrenbrucht needing a colonial originator as well.

I've also imagined Weremark as taking /heavy/ losses during the War, reducing them from a prominent player to a nation with the wealth of a former 2nd-world nation today; that could perhaps stem from being one of the Ardian Empire's northern menaces, now that the option seems to be open. That being said, they are a bit of a rogue nation in that they never fully progressed to being a modern nation state - indeed, some of the RP I have planned coming up will deal with their avenues of transition back into what they assume is prominence.

Weremark /does/ speak Werman, a language I've designed to be halfway between Gothic and Old English, and therefore could have strong relations with any Germanic nation, whether by former colony status or through co-development (which is the path I've inferred to be the case with more Norse-themed nations such as NA, Frystjord, etc.). If anyone wants to work on these ideas, please chime in.

/Update: Balticum may not have been a direct colony, per ES's correction.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2017, 04:43:02 PM by Weremark »

The Kingdom of Weremark

NSWiki | Notable Characters

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Republic of Québec
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 04:20:31 PM »
I haven't written up anything regarding this since I envisage Saheristan being a colonial possession at the time of the World Wars. I wasn't initially going to go down this path, but my nation is prime real estate next to the Matilda Channels and it provides some cultural links between myself and another player. This would have taken place during the early 18th century.

At some stage in the fifties or possibly up to the sixties depending on how hard the colonial overlord was holding on, Saheristan will become independent. Whether this happens peacefully or in a bloody French Algeria style conflict can then be worked out between the overlord and myself.

I'm very much interested in your offer, either ES or Balticum would suffice, depending on the cultural influenced and such. Discord through pm is preferable for such discussions as well as publicy unless you have special requirements?

Offline Libby

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Lodja/Kaitaine
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 04:23:39 PM »

With you being over the straits from the Iwi and the The Iwi being occupied by Royal Seleucid wouldn't that be an option? That way RS would have essentially contolled a lot of the straits.

Offline Comrade Kermit

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Argemonto
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2017, 05:15:23 PM »

Weremark /does/ speak Werman, a language I've designed to be halfway between Gothic and Old English, and therefore could have strong relations with any Germanic nation, whether by former colony status or through co-development (which is the path I've inferred to be the case with more Norse-themed nations such as NA, Frystjord, etc.). If anyone wants to work on these ideas, please chime in.

/Update: Balticum may not have been a direct colony, per ES's correction.

I'm searching for a ex colonial overlord for Herrenbucht. The German that is spoken there could have developed from a mix of Werman and maybe local dialects and other immigrants' languages. @Weremark You in for it?

La Popola Respubliko de Argemonto
The People's Republic of Argemonto

Offline Weremark

• Microstate
  • The Raven Lord
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Weremark
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2017, 04:38:50 AM »

I'm searching for a ex colonial overlord for Herrenbucht. The German that is spoken there could have developed from a mix of Werman and maybe local dialects and other immigrants' languages. @Weremark You in for it?

That would work just fine, though it's the timeline that would need the most flexibility. Unless the language shift involves prehistoric movements across land bridges, the earliest Werman expeditions/colonies were around 1400.

The Kingdom of Weremark

NSWiki | Notable Characters

Offline Sam

• Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Saheristan
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2017, 11:02:04 PM »

I've got a skeleton timeline below. I've gone with Balticum to be Saheristan's colonial overlord; a European style colonisation fits my national character and history better. However before 1798 it might be interesting to have gone through a period or periods of Royal Seleucid control, or a tug of war between RS and another power/powers. I'll need to discuss this with Dave. Below is all approved by The Young Pope.

Spoiler: show
Pre-1798: Saheristan in the 1790s was corrupt, misgoverned, and in a state of financial ruin. In addition, their sea trade was severely hampered by Coanchuan piracy, which they lacked the naval forces to effectively combat. The Maziar dynasty had rung up huge debts to primarily Baltic banks that could no longer be repaid. Under pressure from the banks that held the debt, the country's finances were being controlled by representatives of Balticum and a number of other great powers.

June 1798: General Aman-Kabir Asharid leads a popular nationalist revolt against the Maziar Sultanate, and against foreign influence. Sultan Salman Maziar III overthrown and imprisoned. Aman-Kabir is made Sultan.

An anti-Christian riot occurrs in Al-Qādisiyyah. Dozens of foreigners are lynched. A Baltic Expeditionary force is dispatched to protect Baltic citizens and shipping interests in the Matilda Channels.

15 December 1798: The Battle of Kassara takes place. The Baltic Expeditionary Army successfully surprise Sultan Aman-Kabir's army and inflict a crushing defeat. The Asharid army, outclassed tactically and technologically, breaks and flees. Aman-Kabir is killed during the battle.

24 January 1799: The victorious Balts occupy Al-Qādisiyyah and vastly expand Baltic influence over Saheristan. Sultan Salman Maziar III is restored to the throne as a puppet, and the Maziar Sultanate becomes a Baltic protectorate. A number of small battles take place until total suppression of the country by 1801.

Under a divide-and-rule policy, Lalishis are elevated by the Balts to management roles over the Saheris, deflecting anger away from the Baltic occupiers but stoking ethnic tensions.

1833-1835: The Saheri Insurrection was a major, but ultimately unsuccessful, uprising in Saheristan again Baltic colonial rule. Tens of thousands of Lalishis are murdered. The uprising is defeated and suppressed.

1950: Enormous oil reserves are discovered in Saheristan. Prospecting begins in earnest.

1 November 1954 - 8 June 1962: The Saheri War of Independence takes place. Guerillas from the Saheri Brotherhood attack military and civilian targets throughout the Maziar Sultanate, issuing the Saheristan's declaration of independence. Brutal guerilla warfare and terrorist bombings lead to wholesale slaughter until peace talks take place in 1962.
Umar Zain Shaddad is crowned as a figurehead King of Saheristan, which is established as a constitutional monarchy.

20 October 1965: Black October occurs. King Umar utilises allies in the military to overthrow the constitutional government and establish an absolute monarchy. More than 20,000 constitutionalists and republicans are executed. A reign of terror ensues as King Umar enriches himself. Oil exports remain stable, and foreign intervention is thus discouraged.

January 1973: King Umar, who has grown increasingly paranoid and deluded, is kidnapped by members of his palace staff, secretly members of the New Saheri Brotherhood, a successor organisation pledging to create a free Republic of Saheristan. Popular uprisings take place across the country which the military refuses to repress. The Republic of Saheristan is declared.

5 March 1973: King Umar is found guilty following a trial.

7 November 1973:
King Umar is executed by hanging.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 12:14:48 AM by Sam »

President Khalid Amin Ashkan
The Republic of Saheristan

Wiki Pages:
Saheristan Profile
Insurgency in Lalishistan

Offline Holy King

• Microstate
  • The Night is Dark, and Full of Terrors.
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Greater Foxtrove
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2017, 03:50:19 AM »
If you don't mind me kind of deraling the topic ATM, Foxtrove ICly was in a war during the mid-60's, currently ES fills that spot but it doesn't really make sense (as of now) and I still need someone to fill that role.