Author Topic: Mundus 2068 - Non Canon  (Read 3832 times)

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
Mundus 2068 - Non Canon
« on: April 12, 2018, 01:00:41 AM »
OOC- Consider this vignettes of Mundus in 50 years time. You need not stick to canon, tech levels are kind of aribatory and you may include information from other nations unless they ask you not too.

Princess Freya sat around the bed of her grandfather, tears in her eyes and a death grip on his grey clamy hand. The Ironside gathering around the hospital bed signified the end of an era, and one the soon to be Queen Rhiannon was likely to miss. Much had changed under King David's time, East Moreland had grown from a Kingdom to an Empire, first absorbing Alba Karinya City in 2019 following a violent terrorist uprising. David had orderered Morelander troops in to stop the bloodshed and soon after the people had choosen to align themselves with East Moreland, weeks later to destroy a Borlander threat the Morelander military had ploughed into Zimalia and after much CNN negotiation had become the Empire of East Moreland. It was then only a matter of weeks until the soon to be Emperor David Ironside had taken Queen Cait of Cantabria as his 2nd wife, thanks largely to King Finley's meddling, but little had he expected his little sister to merge her Celtic kingdom with her new husbands homeland further expanding the fledgling Moreland Empire. It was now surrounded by his children and grandchildren that time had caught up with Emperor David I of the East Moreland and Her Territories.

Two years ago he'd been diagnosed with a brain tumour and given little chance to see out the year, the moment he'd been given the diagnosis he'd tried to hand over the crown but Rhiannon had refused, her father had already handed over his powers on two occasions during his reign and she would not permit a third, and so despite his ever increasing confused state he had remained as Emperor, with Rhiannon ever present in his stead, a convieniant excuse always found for his abscence.

"Freya" King David croaked, refering to his grand-daughter, his sister had died in a Borlander attack some twenty years earlier, leaving David, his daughter and niece as the last Ironsides. That hadn't seen the end of his dynasty, Rhiannon had married a noble man and produced two daughters, Freya and Alexandria, both of whom worshiped their grand-father. "Is your mother here" he asked despartley. Sadly Crown Princess Rhiannon was busy dealing with business with Lodja, a nation they shared bonds with thanks to her fathers acceptance of a Lodjian noblewoman, Stasya Pelagiya, as his mistress, the pair even had a child together who was currently being considered as a potential future Lady in Waiting, much like her mother had once been when she meet David. A REMAF jet was racing back from Gaia with the future Empress in the passenger seat, a valiant attempt to allow her to see her dying father one last time.

"She's coming gramps" Freya, a young Princess named for Rhiannons beloved aunt replied as she squeezed David's hand. "She loves you so much" she said with tears rolling down her eyes. She had always shared a bond closer than her sister Joanna with her grand-father, some put it down to the fact that her great-aunt whom she never meet had inspired the young lady to greatness, the closeness between David and his sibling meaning he couldn't help but recognised the bond between them. Now Joanna, three years younger than Freya sat at the back of the hospital room daring not move as she watched the scene unfold.

"What will she tell the Gods?" David blubbed, the first indication that he knew his fate. He'd spent the last few days in confusion, believing his sister was still with him, calling for his deceased 2nd wife Cait and his long dead mistress Stasya, next he'd spent time chatting with his friend Alex Redfern, killed by Borlanders twenty years ago but never lost from David's heart, all signals the Emperors mind was failing, the tumour in his brain slowly eroding what capacity he had left.

"Oh gramps" Freya felt tears in her eyes as her fiance squeezed her shoulder supportingly, "The Gods will tell tales of how you took what they gave us, made it greater and never forgot the Code, how when all forgot the way the Gods wanted us to live you stood by our way of life, made it stronger and made us better than we ever could be." she said, conveniently ignoring his infidelity with Stasyia, even eyeing her half brother Joseph with acknowledgement as she spoke those words. Despite these weaknesses though the younger Freya was sure her father would arrive with Helus in the afterlife.She kissed his forehead, "We love you" she whispered to him as she regained her seat.

"I'll see Caspian?" the dying David asked, a broad smile on his sightless face.

"Of course" Freya held herself together as she spoke, praying her mother would walk through the door any moment on her dash home. "And the two of you will sword fight until your arms get tired." Of course she'd never meet her long deceased uncle but she knew how  desperately he'd wanted a son, and while he'd fathered Joseph with Stasya he'd only had legitimate daughters. He'd been a good father to all his children, Rhiannon, his eldest daughter, then Joanna and Henry with Cait, followed by Anna and Joseph with Stasya. His heart had burst when Rhiannon gave birth to Freya and then later when Sven had arrived, he'd spent every hour avaliable with his grand-children, refusing to let his failing unhealthly back stop him teach them swordmanship.

Freya recognised the moment was at hand, her grand-fathers mind and body parting at an ever rapid pace. She had assumed command of his departure from this life, that being more to her closeness than decision. She stood and reached down to her hip, unsheathing her sword, her grand-father had forged it for her, and while the blade had a slight kink in it she was proud to wear it. The sound of metal scrapping on leather filled the room as she placed the hilt in her grand-fathers hand. "It's Ok" she placed her mouth next to his ear. "Jekar is waiting, Great-Aunt Freya and Joanna are there too. They'll be so happy to see you, hold tight to this" With every ounce of effort she could muster she wrapped his hand around the handle of her sword. "We love you so much" she kissed his cheek, sunken and grey compared to the handsome vibrant features of his younger days. "Rest easy Captain Ironside, your duty is done, your watch is over" she stumbled on the words, well known to her as a Liutenant in his beloved Alpine Cadre. She'd pushed for acceptance in the unit just because of her grand-fathers devotion to it, her hands becoming just as calused as his due to the climbing, something she wore as badge of honour. "Helus Gird me with the strength of Thy steadfast hills, The speed of Thy streams give me! In the spirit that calms, with the life that thrills, I would stand or run for Thee. Let me be Thy voice, or Thy silent power" She sensed her grand-fathers heart slowing, his time on Mundus edging away.

"Thy Steadfast hills" David said automatically as his vaccant eyes stared at the ceiling, Freya was trying hard not to cry but her cheeks where a river of tears and her family squeezed her tight acknowledging the way she was stoicly helping the senior member of their family depart this world. The words of his regimental prayer uttered he smiled. "I would have liked to see Rhiannon one last time" he said before his eyes closed, his breath rattled and the grip on the sword weakened. The family watched as a doctor entered, checked for signs of life and then offering their own words of sadness left. No sooner had this medic departed a frantic thunder of feet echoed down the corridor and Rhiannon literally slid around the door.

"Vavma" she said, using the Morelandish word for father as she crossed to his bed.

"Mum.....he's gone" Freya said as she embraced her mother, her mind wondering if there had been something she could have said or done to keep the Emperor alive just a moment of two longer allowing Rhiannon to be here. "He knew we loved him" Freya wept as the her Mother held her the eldest of his children grasping his lifeless hand.

"I know" Rhiannon sat by his bed-side, her eyes closed as she stroked his grey hair from his face. She sat in silence before kissing his forehead, "I promise Helus I shall not forget what you taught me" her eyes red with tears she stood. "Tell Mundus Emperor David of East Moreland has taken his rightful place beside Helus" she commanded Chief of Royal Household Melissa Lusk, who weeping simply nodded and left. It was the end of an era, the reign of David was over, his place in history set for guiding East Moreland from an isolated nation of paranoid isolationists to one of a benevolent empire. The family sat for what seemed like ages before Rhiannons, half brother, the son of David and his Mistress Stasyia stood. "The Emperor is dead, long live the Empress" he said through his own sadness as he knelt symbolically.

"Brother, you need never kneel" Rhiannon helped him back to his feet. "Together us Ironside's shall make the Empire even greater." Rhiannon hugged him as the rest of her family lined up to offer their own support for Empress Rhiannon I of the Moreland Empire.