Author Topic: Sword & Shield - News from Bakkermaya  (Read 16272 times)

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Agira Latina
Sword & Shield - News from Bakkermaya
« on: July 03, 2018, 11:11:42 AM »

HORSEMAN TO GO ON ANNUAL PILGRIMMAGE TO EAST MORELAND
King David agrees to meeting

The ceremonial guard known as the Horseman of Jekar are scheduled to undertake their annual pilgrimage to Northfort and East Moreland. The unit which has a direct lineage to the Knights who helped form our nation is responsible for the security of religious sites within the nation as well as undertaking both front line military duties and ceremonial functions. The unit will send 120 Horseman this year, many of them people who have never been to East Moreland before. As usual Brigader Dominic Atkins, the units Commanding Officer will accompany them. The traditional pilgrimage sees the unit visit the Temple of Helus in Northfort before heading to Ostlake to pray at the Temple of Jekar and then making their way to the Gods Forge, a CETO recognised site of global importance, the place where it is believed the first sword was made by Jekar himself. This year 8 of the Horseman will have their Sword Ceremony at the Gods Forge including 23 year old Richard Babbington, the eldest son of the Duke of Rufford, who joined the unit just three weeks ago. "I felt privledged to become a horseman and when the Brigadier agreed that I had done enough in my life to earn my sword I was very excited, he then told me I'd be getting it at the Gods Forge itself and my heart swelled. This is a great honour and I am proud to continue the line of horseman who have done the Gods work."

The unit have also been invited to Northfort Palace marking the first time in over 100 years the King of East Moreland has meet representatives of the unit. It is also the first time in history the Horseman have visited the Palace. A spokesman for the unit said, "While we hold no oath of loyalty to the King of East Moreland this is a man who has in his veins the blood of Raimond Unasson. A man who is a great example to all humans on Mundus and therefore worthy of respect. The King of East Moreland has upheld the Code of Canley throughout his life and as such has shown himself a worthy descendent of Unasson. The Horseman of Jekar are honoured to meet him and look forward to seeing the beautiful Palace."

The Horseman will also visit the Ostlake Military Games for an afternoon. 

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
Re: Sword & Shield - News from Bakkermaya
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2018, 02:51:55 PM »

MCUR REFERENDUM TO TAKE PLACE
14th August Set as Date

Grand Duke Hugo Lascelles today has confirmed that he will not sign the Mundus Convention of Universal Rights, instead he will refer the matter to a national referendum which will take place in two weeks time. Explaining the decision the Duke of Edwinstowe said, "Our nation is rather varied and as such I wish the decision we make to be reflective of the people. They will be given the final say on the acceptability of the MCUR following its redraft. Every Dukedom will vote and an overall majority, plus a majority in each Dukedom will be required for the MCUR to get my signature."

The document gives protection to a wide range of rights ranging from same sex marriage, to gender identity. The new legislation if accepted would make it legally possible for someone to change their gender on national documentation as well as making it illegal to discriminate on grounds of religion. The Grand Duke explained, "While our nation is not one I would describe as being inhumane we do have some peculiarties that may not be compatible with the MCUR. Our nation at the moment says it is neccessary for the Grand Duke to be a believer in Helus, my understanding is that this would be against the MCUR. Our people will therefore determine whether they wish our nation to permit our leader to not be a follower of our faith in the future." Around 20% of the nation do not follow either the Cult of Helus or Helusan and as such are not permitted to hold elected government positions, be the holder of a Duchy or serve as an officer in the military.

Priestess of Helus for Edwinstowe, Abigail Scott, said, "Our nation was founded on the principles of Helus, our military is run by the Code of Canley and as such this document could have profound impacts on our nation. Therefore I urge all Cultists in Bakkermaya to vote against this document, we must not erode our nations foundation to appease liberals."

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 11:51:12 PM »

ISLANDS DISPUTE NEEDS SWIFT RESOLUTION
Lascelles offers services

Following the Tsunami that hit Himeyama and the disputed Mhorish Islands a major aid operation has turned into a military stand off. News of an increase in Heyran forces and potentially entrenched Himeyaman Marines have lead to concerns that the situation may boil over and become a shooting war. With this in mind Grand Duke Hugo Lascelles has spoken out at the meeting of the Parliament of Swords. The Grand Duke gave the opening statement of the weekly briefing and stated, "Himeyama sit firmly on Ardia and Heyra have recently attempted to join Ardian organisations, something I'm not 100% convinced on. As such both of these nations would potentially be our neighbours and there is nothing worse than having your neighbours fighting. We currently have no vessels aiding in the aftermath. We had concerns our own coast could have been damaged and so were not as prepared to help others as perhaps we should have been. This puts us in the position that we wish to see both nations get along and have no vested interest in the current situation. Should both sides agree I'd like to try and have both nations sit down and discuss a road map to solving this issue once and for all, be that some kind of agreement mutually agreed, a referendum, or any other possibility. Its a chance worth taking rather than someone pulling a trigger."

The Grand Duke has also explained that his view on the Heyran's joining Ardian organisations is still not cemented. "They have attended talks but we've not yet concluded anything. I'm no Geographer but to me they don't seem to be part of Ardia, however it is clear Mantra is pretty close to Ardia and if they are willing to work to make our continent a better place then I'm willing to give them a fair crack of the whip. I will reserve judgement based on what they bring to the table."

DUCHESS OF WELLOW TO BE APPOINTED LEAD SWORD
First Female to hold position

Duchess Anna Davidson was today announced as the Lead Sword for the next term of the Parliament of the Swords. The Lead Sword is a symbolic position that acts as a kind of link between the Grand Duke and the Parliament of Swords. Under Bakkermayan Law the Grand Duke is only permitted into the Parliament chamber on the occasion of his weekly statment and ceremonial times of the year. Traditionally the Lead Sword was a noble selected by the Grand Duke who would sit in on Parliament meetings and relay the information to the Grand Duke as well as offer both the Parliament and the Grand Duke advice. Today the post is largely ceremonial and the holder tends to remain in position for only a year before a new one being selected. In the almost 550 years of the position existing no woman has held the position.

The 32 year old who has just completed five years service as a signals officer in The Army was picked by Grand Duke Lascelles because, "she exemplifies dedication to the Six Dukedoms and has managed to juggle her duties as Duchess of Wellow, a military career and various good works in the charity world. It is my hope she can use the position to continue these good works and I wish her well."

Duchess Anna will be sworn into the position in the next week and has said, "I would like to thank Hugo for this responsibility. I realise the ceremonial aspect of it is most important but out of everyone he could have picked I am overjoyed it was me. I think I represent all of Bakkermaya, my ancestory see's Lodjain, Morelander and even some Paracambian, but Helus is in my heart. I hope I can be blessed with the wisdom of Frossaj.

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2018, 10:50:53 PM »

HARBY SEES HISTORIC TREATY
Trade Zone to be built

The Grand Duke today signed a treaty with the Queen of Lodja that will create a unique trade zone between the two nations. The Treaty of Harby is the first formal treaty between the two nations which see's the territory of the Alucard Islands formally recognised as divided between the two nations. The island of Harby was fought over between Lodja and the Horseman of Jekar until the 15th Century however a formal treaty was never signed between the two nations. The island of Harby has however remained firmly a possession of Bakkermaya for the last six centuries and today 95% of those living on the island follow the Cult of Helus.

The treaty however is more significant because of its economic agreements, while both nations are part of the Treaty of Unity for Alucard Nations , this agreement allows each a port of entry tariff free into the others market. Furthermore it allows other companies to expand their business into the other nation. It is expected that the Special Trade Zone (STZ) will be built slightly further along the coast from the capital of the island of Harby from the city which gives the island its name. The new STZ will be close to Harby's industrial port and it is hoped that the first companies will begin establishing themselves in the coming months.

The signing of the Treaty between Grand Duke Hugo Lascelles and Queen Klara of Lodja was witnessed by Harby's Duchess Anna Davidson, Lead Sword of the Parliament who spoke after saying, "My island kin will be delighted with this Treaty, often we are the forgotten part of Bakkermaya tucked away here in the ocean. This brings us front and centre and I'm excited about the opportunities this will give people."

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 08:17:02 PM »
PLA AN "INCONVENIENCE" SAYS DUKE OF WALESBY
King David agrees to meeting

The Duke of Walesby, William Lynchwood has today spoken publically about the recent actions by a group known as the PLA, Papa Legba's Army. A small group of Vodou worshippers near the remote township of High Fell declared themselves an independent nation and declared loyalty to the Emperor of Paracambi, something that he is yet to respond to. The PLA have declared that they are seeking to create an Albion wide Empire for the Vodou faith, which is native to Paracambi and followed by their Emperor. The island of Walesby was in the late 13th Century under Vodou influence from Paracambians but following an influx of Cultist from Bakkermaya the island began to convert as it was absorbed into the nation of Bakkermaya, becoming a Duchy in its own right in 1405, at that point a former Paracambian military commander who had converted to the Cult, Joseph Delanaus was appointed the first Duke. Today around 15% of the island profess to following the Vodou faith however there has been no past history of conflicts between the Cult and Vodouism.

In the hours since the decleration a force of soldiers from the Light Infantry Brigade have engaged the townships occupiers and reports are of five dead members of the PLA and one dead Infantryman. The familiy of the dead soldier have been informed. The Duke of Walesby spoke publically of the incident saying, "My thoughts and prayers are with the dead soldier, I pray that he is the only casualty from these idiots. The PLA are fools that are playing a dangerous game. They are nothing more than an inconveniance, a small group intent on dragging their own faith through the mud. What is needed now is the Paracambian Emperor to reinforce that these people have no sense in their tiny brains."

In the hours after the announcement by the PLA the Ecclesiastic State declared war on the PLA stating, "Thousands of people are now at risk, including many Christians, to be driven from their homes in a brutal manner; children dying of thirst and hunger in their flight; women kidnapped; people massacred; violence of every kind." something that the Duke of Walesby was quick to point out is "a major knee jerk reaction. The PLA have attacked one small township of less than a few hundred people and we've seen few deaths. Furthermore neither Walesby where the PLA have been active, nor Paracambi where they swear loyalty to has a significant Christian population. The people at risk are Cultists and this time, unlike when the Seleucid massacred Cultists we shall not permit such evil again. A decleration of war against a media statement and a small attack is a little over the top."

Meanwhile Rokkenjima's Empress released a statement which "offers its staunchest of support as Bakkermaya faces these challenging times." However they have also begun moving a carrier fleet which High Duke Hugo Lascelles has said, "is not needed in the vicinity of Bakkermayan waters" but he then went on to thank Rokkenjima for "trying to provide a calmer head"

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 10:48:00 PM »
BRIGADIER ATKINS NOT CONVINCED BY PARACAMBIAN ROYAL
Horseman of Jekar Leader speaks out

Brigadier Dominic Atkins, the commander of the historic Horseman of Jekar has urged the Grand Duke to practice caution regarding the recent Vodou threat on Walesby. Following an extremely small insurrection carried out by religious extremists professing the Vodou faith the Emperor of Paracambi, the supposed birthplace of the religion has spoken out and proclaimed himself the leader of that faith. In the speech he spoke of wishing to spread Vodou, "across Mundus" but did say he wished it not to be done using bloodshed. The light scouts commander said in response, "To look at ways of creating a religious empire by any means is a worry, the fact that nowhere in the Emperor's speech does he call on the Papa Legba Army to stop their activity, or to lay down their arms. This is a worry, they seem to idolize Benson and words from him could potentially ensure no more attacks happen. As it stands we're currently looking at investigating further leads that could show other members of the PLA are active in Bakkermaya."

It is understood that Atkins, who while technically part of the regular military holds significant sway with the Grand Duke, has asked the government to bring a matter before the Council of Albion naming the PLA a terrorist organisation and putting pressure on Paracambi to co-operate with anti-PLA operations. Atkins explained, "The Paracambians have somehow allowed this group to take shape and they should spearhead the effort to stop them before they gain any traction. I didn't get the impression from Benson's speech he intends to. My experience is that should you be faced with a violent threat you smash it in the face first and then kick it while its down just to make doubley sure. If the Paracambians don't feel they can handle this then I'm more than happy to bring the Horseman over. They can sacrifice all the chickens they want but it wouldn't stop the arse kicking. People need to step up and take responsibility for the problems that their faith have taken."

Later in the afternoon Grand Duke Hugo Lascelles said, "I will, as always take the Brigadiers words under advisement. We have a whole host of diplomatic opportunities, TUNA would be the most obvious as Paracambi are yet to join the Council of Albion, but that is our first route rather than this arse kicking Atkins has offered."

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2018, 01:37:24 PM »
TUNA THE KEY TO ECONOMIC SHORT TERM FUTURE
Lascelles looking for "ever closer" co-operation

Speaking on the eve of a conference to deal with plastic in the Sea of Alucard the Grand Duke Hugo Lascelles has said how he see's the Treaty of Unity for Nations of the Alucard as the future of the nations economic policies, at least in the short term. As the Duke prepared to great his guests at Wellow he said, "The Treaty began as a form of mutual co-operation in a number of different areas I think however it can continue to grow and become something significant not just for ourselves but also for other nations. We have three nations driving this agreement, ourselves, Lodja and Paracambi and while we may not be the economic powerhouses of Mundus between us we are home to some 300million people and that makes s a significant market for international trade, add in Dartfordia who are an observer member and then that figure increases again. We have very diverse markets, Lodja has a good manufacturing industry, ourselves had a good service sector while Paracambi are blessed with raw materials and this means we between us are in a position to mutually support the development of each other in these three industries. Add to this we currently are having deals done to further support each other then this means we will have a tailored agreement that makes us very strong. I can envisage a future where our three nations develop closer and closer co-operation building upon our individual strengths to create mutually strong economies."

The Grand Duke was asked about the chances of Bakkermaya applying for CNN membershop something that members of the nations Conservative Party have called for. The Grand Duke was not too committed to this, "At present we have the people of East Moreland who I view as a brother, the Lodjains who are the next door neighbour but the Cenneg and the Maori are strangers to us. I would not commit to a situation where our armed forces are committed to supporting a nation, especially when the Maori seem to be stirring problems within Midaranye. The CNN has so far not been forced to take military action and is a very powerful military force, it would be useful to be a member and be protected by this, however we as a nation have a more than capable military for our own needs."

Finally Lascelles was asked about being member of other organisations such as the Ardian Assembly, "The Ardian Assembly is brand new and of course their will be teething problems, to date no members have felt the need to bring anything to the Assemblies attention, that's a good thing as it shows no issues are facing our mainland continent, however its also bad as we don't have any suggestions to promote further co-operation. It therefore surprises me that we've seen Rokkenjima floating an idea of of a East Ardian nations version. We worked hard just a short time ago to create an organisation of continental unity, yet now we see the old divisions coming back to haunt us. If we are to truly make the Ardian Assembly work as well as say TUNA appears to be going or even things such as the AKO we must work together. If Rokkenjima feel there is something that could benefit them then bring it to the Assembly rather than run to a new organisation."

The Grand Duke, along with Duchess Anna Davidson who is also Lead Sword are also currently hosting a conference to deal with what many are calling the "Great Alucard Plastic Patch" a section of the ocean where a great deal of plastic waste is gathering and is often washed up on shore of the various Alucard Islands. Duchess Anna explained the reasoning behind the conference. "Our island of Wellow has beautiful beaches and every day we see new plastic bottles and wrappers wash up, there are millions of items of plastic swirling around in the ocean and much of it will someday find its way here. We can't permit that to happen and so we need to look at how we can get rid of this stuff."

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2018, 08:39:29 PM »

BRIGADIER ATKINS TALKS OF TUNA TASK FORCE

"Failing to plan is planning to fail"

In a recent public media appearence Brigadier Dominic Atkins, the commander of the Horseman of Jekar, has stated that he believes that the nation should be considering the formation of a task force for the TUNA Organisation. "We have seen a great deal of closer co-operation between ourselves, Lodja and Paracambi recently. It is my belief this needs to take the step of a kind of military task force, there are many situations that could see the need for such a thing. Now I am not talking of a permanent army but rather a flexible joint unit that could respond to natural disasters, state emergencies or military incursions. We've seen the Lodjain Minister of Social Affairs get kidnapped and the investigation so far has seen them not turn up any leads. As such we need to co-operate to ensure future safety and success. I envisage a force of no more than a few hundred per nation as contribution and have them regularly rotate to ensure all our forces are experienced. This iniative is about planning to deal with any issue that comes up in the Alucard, and as the say failing to plan is planning to fail."

The concept is one that Grand Duke Hugo Lascelles has also said is "worthy of consideration" but has stated that issues with the militaries being so varied in capabilities and standards. He has stated though that TUNA should "look at ways of supporting each other so that we have militaries equally as capable of looking out for each other."

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2018, 11:00:00 AM »
HARBY TECH COMPANY TO GO GLOBAL
Aim to be worlds biggest "Biohackers"

In Sci-Fi films you can often see people accessing technology through implants in their body, the whole world of information available for them to view in an eyeball implanted Heads Up Display or something similar. While that may seems fantasy there is a company in Harby who are making it happen. Zenith Data Systems began in 2009 as a small family run company making customs lap tops and desktops but the son of founder Henry Simod has taken things to the next level.

Peter Simod, who is 23 and a recent graduate of Edwinstowe Techonological Institute (ETI) has been using the company to start playing about with incorporating his own body into technology and has already attracted the attention of major organisations. "It started off as a bit of an experiment, could I use my travel card without having to actually carry it with me. My girlfriend at the time was a trainee surgeon and we had a go at surgically implanting it in my hand. That's not a million miles away from things today companies like OsmanTech are doing with biological sensors. My little experiment worked and I wanted to see what else I could do. I ended up implanting myself with the keyless technology for my car. I simple click of my fingers and I can now drive to work, no more lost car keys." Peter believes this is the tip of the iceberg. "I know the technology has far more possibilities and I want ZDS to be at the forefront of this. I've even begun self experiments using implants and gene editing to help produce muscle mass, I did it two weeks ago and already seeing some results beyond my normal workout. Add to this some internal sensors and I can see a whole fitness industry being changed."

The innovation has already drawn the attention of the Bakkermayan military who are interested in working with ZDS. "The Iron-Man style suits you see other nations going for are decades away from being feasible" Dominic Atkins, Brigadier of the Horseman of Jekar explained, "They are also costly and unproven. A lot of the technology ZDS are talking about could be in the field within five years if all goes according to plan and could have a significant impact on military procurement." Simod is making his way to Technology City in East Moreland to present his ideas at the CNN Technology Expo in the hope of securing wider funding.

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2018, 08:24:13 PM »
WELLOW MAY SEE OCEAN CLEAN UP TREATY
Further environmental news expected soon

It has been confirmed today from Wellow that several nations representatives have meet and agreed to establish the Alucard Ocean Holding Group (AOHG) which shall provide around $200million in funding to establish a major operation to remove plastic from the Sea of Alucard. The project is the first of its kind in Mundus and is likely to be watched by other nations carefully. The project will utilise a design thought up by a Bakkermayan engineer which will use various satellite and wave technology to steer giant scoops to gather up plastic which can then be scooped up by existing vessels. It is hoped that if the project is successful then around 50% of the plastic in the Alucard could be removed within 5 years, something that would save businesses a great deal of money and promote expansion of fishing stocks. The project is to be funded by a mixture of government and private funding from Bakkermaya, Nya Aland, Ui Cenneslaig, Lodja and Paracambi. The conference was hosted by Lead Sword and Duchess of Wellow Anna Davidson who said, "The Alucard nourishes our nation and we don't want filth washing up on our shores. We have a great oppurtunity in the Alucard Islands to build a sustainable tourist industry but if we don't keep the natural beauty its doomed to fail. I'm thrilled we'll be pioneering this type of project."

The Duchess also confirmed that now an agreement has been reached on the clean up she hopes to persuade the Alucard nations and then the wider world to sign up to an environmental set of targets. "The islands of the Alucard are Mundus' most concentrated set of islands and particularly vulnerable to issues created by bad environmental management. Its all well and good the Alucard nations doing our bit but we need the world to help out too. Once the Alucard nations agree to some targets I hope to persuade other nations to accept them too."

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2018, 08:02:08 PM »
DUCHESS SECURES ENVIRONMENTAL TREATY
Environmental Treaty of Wellow to become reality

Following a successful negotiation to remove plastic from the Alucard the Duchess of Wellow has added another environmental achievement to her growing political resume. The former military officer only began to seriously take an active role in politics a year ago and in that time has now become Lead Sword, a mainly ceremonial link between the Councils and the Grand Duke, as well as now securing two international agreements. The Grand Duke had pre-approved both agreements and from his residency in Edwinstowe said "Anna had done an amazing job, the Duchess has managed to get seven nations to agree to work together for the good of Mundus and to improve the environment. Something never done before."

The Duchess of Wellow, an island province is said to be "delighted" at the outcome, "Our island home needs protection but what someone does in Dartfordia can impact us, so our actions are kind of irrelevant, we need the world on board. It is now my mission to expand the Environmental Treaty of Wellow into an international accord similar to say the Uppsala Convention." It is expected that the treaty will be open to non-Alucard signatures in the coming days.

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 10:24:18 PM »

ATKINS TO MEET RED LEGION
Lascelles savages predecessor over Cult Hatred

Following recent attacks in Royal Seleucid and Vaguzia against members of the Cult of Helus the twitter trend #CultLivesMatter has once again become a popular sight. The attacks have lead to Brigadier Atkins to request a meeting with East Moreland's own military elite, Red Legion. The Horseman of Jekar consider themselves to be almost cousins to the famed Morelander unit however this will be the first formal meeting between the two. It is likely Atkins will discuss the ongoing situation as well as possible training oppurtunities. Atkins also confirmed that the meeting has been given support by Grand Duke Lascelles to examine what Atkins described as "methods to protect members of our faith regardless of national boundaries." It is likely the meeting will take place at East Moreland's Ostlake facility the hub of their military. "I hope to also visit The Temple of Jekar while there, it'll be my first time and I believe now would be a fitting moment to pay my respects to all those who have made the ultimate sacrifice over the existance of the Cult in order to keep alive its high ideals."

It was also confirmed that Grand Duke Hugo Lascelles has placed units in the military on standby while lashing out at his predeccessor Grand Duke Samuel Wheatley. "Wheatley stood back and watched the Cultists of Seleucid get slaughtered, while meanwhile over the Mhorish we see Cultists also getting attacked, I think its time that we follow the lead of East Moreland and do what we can to live out the most sacred of lines, "Protect those who can not Protect themselves." The God Frossaj left words that should have inspired Wheatley, the God said, "You stand here today - in the shadow of your parents' and grandparents' accomplishments - because of their willingness to sacrifice and look to your future. You owe them the greatest of honours - to leave a better world than you found." He failed to do so and as such we now need to make amends, the son of the most beloved Riamond Unasson said "Honor has been the reward for what is given". We gave our faith nothing during Wheatley's reign and now we must redeem ourselves. Should the Seleucid and Cenneg security forces fail to hold back the anti-Cultist attacks I would have no hesitation standing shoulder to shoulder with East Moreland and putting boots firmly on the ground of Seleucid and up the arse of anyone who thinks a Cultist genocide is remotely a good idea."

The speech was widely applauded by Bakkermayans on social media and around 25,000 people have already signed a petition calling on the High Priestess of the Cult of Helus to officially remove Wheatley's sword and have his name in all records changed to Samuel Lackblade. So far Wheatley, who retired to Wellow following his election defeat, has not commented. 

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 10:09:16 PM »

BAKKERMAYA TO DEPLOY TO KYNE
Joint Task Force on Standby

Following talks between Brigadier Dominic Atkins of the Horseman of Jekar and his East Moreland counterparts it has been agreed that a joint naval force will deploy to the Sea of Kyne should the anti-Cultist attacks in Royal Seleucid escalate further. Grand Duke Hugo Lascelles says that he is "determined to send a message that we shall not tolerate religious persecution of our Cultist brothers and sisters. We've already seen hundreds of thousands murdered and this can not be allowed to happen again. This time action needs to be swift and needs to send a clear message."

It is understood that 7 Bakkermayan ships will make up the contribution by our nation along with around 44 aircraft, meanwhile East Moreland is sending 7 ships of their own along with 48 aircraft. In addition Grand Duke Lascelles has said that ground forces are being put on standby and that the Bakkermayan ships will "Deploy with detachments of Marines and around 150 Horseman of Jekar aboard the fleet." The deployment marks the first venture outside the Alucard in the leadership reign of Hugo Lascelles. The action is well supported by the public, many of whom criticised former Grand Duke, Samuel Wheatley for his lack of action during the previous genocide. Brigadier Atkins stated, "Should the worse come to the worse we don't have to go rounding up forces, we'll be sat in the Kyne just waiting as a visible reminder of what awaits should someone murder our sisters and brothers."

The Task Force is being named Task Force Eloise after the final wife of King Paul the Explorer as well as the woman for whom Bakkermaya was named. Atkins explained "The two nations are united by our determination to protect the faithful. Eloise Bakker was determined to protect her husband on his travels and that level of dedication is now what we need."

MAKE UP OF TASK FORCE ELOISE

DUCAL FORCES = The Submarines Seraph and Glorius. Destroyers Chance and Grief, Frigates Dark Sister and Hearteater, Amphibious Warfare Ship Grayswander, 24 Dragonheart multi-role fighters and 20 C-33 Mustang cargo planes.

EAST MORELAND FORCES Moreland Class Carrier REMNS Ostlake, Flagship Class Amphibious Warfare Ship King Robert, Noble Class Destoyers Rayaleth and Naqjej, Fast Frigates Timothy Carpenter and Melissa Graham, the Ekrabadger. 24 Dragonheart 24Dragonbane II and 12 C-137 Puffin

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2019, 08:17:54 PM »

EDWINSTOWE PREPARES FOR FEAST FOOTBALL GAME
Which side will Helus favour?

With just 24 hours to go the annual Feast of Helus Football Match is already exciting the city of Edwinstowe. The capital of Bakkermaya the city has for the last 300 years hosted an annual football match between those who live to the North of the Temple of Helus and those who live to the South. It features a pitch that is three miles long with a river for a half way line, there is no referee, no half time and no designated pitch markings. The goals are the doorways of two Temples, the one at the North end being the Temple of Jekar, the one at the South end being the Temple of Marissa. The Priesthood will be stood on the steps of the Temple, you score by simply getting the ball, which weights 9kg, to one of them. For the last 84 years the game has finished scoreless and seen countless visits to the hospital.

The Priestess for the Temple of Jekar is Abigail Mansfield who has stood on the steps for the last 15 years. "The game is a great way of the city coming together, we play through the old meadows which are kept as a traditional park for most of the year. The game lasts two hours and following it the field is usually a bit of a mess, people bring food and drink with them and once the game is over they sit and share a meal and some drinks in good spirits. We start at 7am and then by 9am everyone is ready for a bite to eat and spend the rest of the day with their families. I live in Spittlefields which is in the North so I'll be hoping the ball is a long way away from me as the North take victory."

Her counterpart at the Temple of Marissa is Rebecca Elliot, who will be on the steps for the first time having moved from Wellow just after last years game. "I've seen pictures on TV, in the media. Its always seemed a rather exciting if not chaotic event. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that the team from the South will take victory ending the nearly century old deadlock."

The game will be officially started by Kate Longthorne the Priestess at the Temple of Helus who will ceremonially throw the ball up in the centre of the river. "I think traditions like this are wonderful for bringing the community together. We shall come together, share a quick prayer, play a game and then have a meal together. It's what being part of a community is all about. I will however during the prayer be asking for people to spare a thought for those in Royal Seleucid. Its a harsh time for the Feast to fall, a time when food and drink is sacrificed for the rituals of Helus. Meanwhile our fellow Cultists struggle to even have enough to feed themselves. I pray Helus will send them relief from their plight and ease the tensions over the whole of Midaranye."

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2019, 10:41:44 PM »

EDWINSTOWE APPROVES HELUSIAN MEGA TEMPLE
Site to house Training Centre

Planning permission has today been granted for the Helusian faith to build what many are calling a "Mega Temple" in the city of Edwinstowe. The complex will feature a Temple dedicated to the Gods, a library, a museum, conference centre and a small training centre for the faith. It will be the largest site dedicated to the Helusian faith which makes up around 30% of the population of Bakkermaya. The faith follows many of the teachings of the more common Cult of Helus however it allows males and females to be Priests, places Marissa as the wife of Helus and the other Gods as their children and it also believes that the Underlords still walk among us. The faith however has always stood a little in the shadow of the Cult but the Prophet of Helus, Jane Atkinson, believes this will help showcase the faith. "We envisage this being a mixture of place of worship, tourist attraction and a centre of excellence. We aim for the training centre to eventually be accredited as a University allowing us to grant degrees in Theocracy and support scholars of any faith in research on our faith and Bakkermaya. Its an exciting oppurtunity to build something lasting for our faith to give us a base to spread the teachings of Helus and Marissa across the world."

It is expected that the new Temple will seek to have some connection to the Ironside family whom the Helusian faith views as the descendants of Riamond Unasson who is thought to be the most loved follower of Helus. The Prophet of Helus stated, "For any Temple we wish to emulate the devotion and faith shown by Unasson, what better way than to have some kind of seal of approval from their descendants." Early last year the Temple of Swords, the first joint Cult and Helusian temple was opened in Edwinstowe and the opening was attended by King David III of East Moreland and Atkinson is hoping he will visit this new Temple.

It is also reported that Atkinson has recently undertaken a fast as a sign of faith while asking Marissa to help Princess Rhiannon. The 81 year old Prophet confirmed this saying, "Princess Rhiannon is the blood of Unasson and while that still means she is a mortal it means she must have a special place in the Gods hearts. If we show the Gods we love this little girl I am sure they will bless her and a donor will be found."

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2019, 08:46:13 PM »

BAKKERMAYAN ARMY TEST SUPERHUMAN NIGHTVISION
ZDS continue biohacking programme

Zenith Data Systems today announced that they have recently successfully tested a "Biohacking Night Vision" system. The Bakkermayan based company which began as a computer manufacturer has recently expanded its operations into biohacking, a process of enhancing the human bodies performance using various means such as electronic implants or DIY operations. The latest experiment follows a series of tests carried out in secret before recruiting a series of voulenteers from the Army Medical Corps. The experiment saw 20 voulenteers and 20 control subjects used. The 20 taking part in the experiment had eye drops made of Chlorin e6 placed in their eyes. Chlorin e6 is a chemical found in deep sea fish which is believed to coat their eye allowing it to absorb more light thus improving their vision in the dark waters. The chemical has been used in treating a small number of cancers so is thought to be perfectly safe for humans.

The group ventured out into the nearby woods once the drops had been put in their eyes and along with a group who had not been treated they undertook a series of eye tests.  These began with small shapes being placed about ten meters off in the distance. Soon those with the drops could spot complete figures 50 meters out. Every Ce6 test subject had a 100% success rate at spotting faraway figures in very low light, whereas the control group could only do so a third of the time. One of those who took part, who because of security reasons is kept nameless, stated, "It was very strange, at first nothing happened then your eyes felt a slight warming sensation, it wasn't unpleasant but its weird. Then it was just like a dimmer switch being slowly turned up and things became clearer and clearer. It lasted about an hour and then the warm sensation began to fade and the dimmer switch went darker step by step." It is not thought any long term damage would be caused be repeatedly using the drops however that has yet to be tested.

Peter Simod, ZDS' CEO said, "this could obviously be very useful to the military and we're looking forward to continuing to see just how far we can take this kind of project. The Bakkermayan military believe this could be a useful tool and so we'll keep developing it."

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2019, 09:53:24 PM »

MINISTER UNVEILS WATER NOMAD POLICY
Military to enforce

Mr.Ben Emmet the nations Minister of Defence today has outlined the nations policy towards the Water Nomads following the groups supposed "Declearation of Sovereignty" which has been recognised by Socram and Lakhzovia. The group travel between islands on the Central Alucard Island Chain and make occasional stops for supplies, however tribal traditions mean they do not like to spend prolonged periods of time on dry land. The new policy comes as Grand Duke Hugo Lascelles has stated that he wishes to enforce Bakkermayan sovereignty over the islands and surrounding seas as laid out by the Fair Seas Concorde while at the same time offering support to the Water Nomad community. As such Minister of Defence Ben Emmet was made responsible for putting together a cohesive policy regarding the situation.

This policy, which we understand has already gone into action was outlined by Mr.Emmet as he dispatched more naval assets to the region. "We will be putting in place a policy with various steps. The first of these is to deny the Water Nomads access to these islands unless they are registered as citizens or visitors to Bakkermaya. This will be achieved by having as many islands as possible covered by naval assets, or in some cases establishing a garrison outpost there. Should any Water Nomads attempt to land anyway we will detain them onboard our vessel or in the garrison. We will be using members of the Water Nomad community who have settled in Bakkermaya as translators to ensure communication is accurate. At this point they will be offered an opportunity to register as citizens of Bakkermaya or apply for visitor status. We will also be making a photographic and finger print record of all Water Nomads. Those choosing not to take up citizenship or visitor status will have their boats towed well clear of the island and will then be sent on their way. Those electing to accept the offer we're making will be returned to their vessels at the point of contact and permitted to continue with lawful activities. We will be making our database of finger prints avaliable to all Bakkermayan assets involved in the operation and should a person having been stopped once be caught a second time they will face arrest for illegally entering the country and taken to the mainland"

One member of the Water Nomad community who is now settled in Bakkermaya is  Suoyei Ashaz a 25 year old working as a translator in the Navy. He explained the impact these measures would have on the community. "The Water Nomad community is highly superstitious, the threat of being sent to the mainland is one that will seriously worry them so I think the threat will ensure people remain away from the islands. I'll be trying my best to urge everyone to accept citizenship. There is nothing I would consider illegal about the Water Nomads activity in the main, they arrive on islands, take fruit, vegetables, nuts, occasionally hunt birds or wild pigs but this is nothing illegal. They take only what they need and nothing more. There are a handful of Water Nomads who engage in a little smuggling or capturing exotic fish for the pet trade but these are very few in number. The granting of citizenship will not stop them living out their lives in the way they wish."

So far three groups have been stopped and none have accepted citizenship likely because to do so would mean going against their High Chief's declaration of sovereignty.

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2019, 05:45:37 PM »

DNS KEYBLADE MAKES ARRESTS
Drugs and Weapons Bust

The Naval patrol ship the Keyblade has today seized guns and drugs reported to be worth well over $700million in an operation in the Alucard. The seizure took place on a Lodjain registered vessel which was found to be towing an underwater float. The float was raised to the surface and discovered to be containing 1,900 pounds of methamphetamine, 30 pounds of cocaine and 7 pounds of heroin which when cut and sold on the street would have netted its seller close to $1billion. The Navy made 18 arrests of people from a variety of nationalities including Bakkermaya, Lodja, Paracambi and Nya Aland. Included in the arrest were two Water Nomads who it is thought were acting as a kind of guide for the smugglers. The Commander of the Keyblade spoke to the media with its haul saying, "The Central Alucard Island's are a smugglers paradise, potentially hundreds of islands on which you can store contraband and move it gradually into the surrounding nations. It is really only once they make the final dash for the islands and mainlands that we can easily intercept them as we have today. TUNA has made the situation better as we now share intelligence on a daily basis allowing us to make discoveries such as this."

The smugglers have been moved to Wellow ready for processing however the Water Nomad suspects will be remaining onboard the Keyblade for the time being. It is expected that they will all face charges of trafficing illegal substances as well as intent to sell narcotics and various maritime charges. The Keyblade Commander also believes that this current situation would be made worse if the EEZ was under Water Nomad sovereignty. "The area where we discovered this haul is in a region the Water Nomads claim. In the modern world EEZ's that neighbour each other can be almost frictionless and are unmarked. As such it is so simple moving from point A to point B and almost untraceable at times. With the nations of Lodja, Bakkermaya and Paracambi possessing high tech navies we struggle to stem the tide of illegal smuggling, the Water Nomads have no chance. If Bakkermaya fail to police our EEZ we put our neighbours at threat. Allowing the Water Nomads sovereignty directly puts the citizens of the TUNA nations in danger and that alone is a reason to ensure these waters stay in our control."

Since the formation of TUNA which includes intelligence sharing protocols the number of arrests for smuggling have increased compared to this point last year.

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2019, 03:07:50 PM »

NATION SENDS BIRTHDAY WISHES TO EAST MORELAND
Nationalists Party

As East Moreland celebrated the Festival of Greenflowers which effectively created the nation some right wing nationalists also celebrated. The people of Edwinstowe took to the central plaza where around 20,000 people gathered to celebrate. One of them was Stephen Glesson, a representative of the Bakkermayan Heritage Party which hold a single seat in the nations councils. Mr.Glesson said, "Today in effect is also Bakkermaya's birthday. Had King Robert the Unifier not defeated the evil of the Borlanders then the Horseman of Jekar would never have existed and then none of us would either. It is only right therefore that today we give thanks." The Party are committed to seeking "ever closer" relations with East Moreland and granted King David of East Moreland and his successors a seat in the Ducal council. Glesson lead some celebrations which included a parade by some young Army Cadets as well as a "loyal toast" the assembled crowd raised a glass to "The legacy of King Robert, the wisdom of Helus and victory over evil."

Grand Duke Hugo Lascelles attended the event for a short while and was seen enjoying a beer with some of the staff from the East Moreland embassy. The Grand Duke said, "Its always a good day when good defeats evil and that should be remembered. We all have ancestors who would have been either fighting or impacted by the Battle of Greenflowers so it is right we as a nation commemorate the day. However while Mr.Glesson seeks ever closer relations with East Moreland it must be remembered we are also a nation that has established ourselves. Our faith binds us, our shared history shaped us but we shall define our own future." The Grand Duke also sent his best wishes to King David who celebrates his own birthday, "King David is keen to establish strong friendships with our nation and I hope to announce new measures regarding that soon. I wish him many Happy Returns and many more."

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2019, 09:12:27 AM »
LEAD SWORD HANDED RESPONSIBILITY UNDER NEW TREATY
First Bakkermayan - East Moreland Treaty concluded

Lead Sword Duchess Anna Davidson was named as the inaugural chair of the Grasa Foundation a new body established during the talks between GRand Duke Hugo Lascelles and King David of East Moreland. The two nations signed an official Treaty of Friendship following the Grand Duke attending the internment of four burial urns connected to King Paul the Explorer. The new treaty will also see closer economic ties as the two nations agree to slowly reduce and then remove tariffs, a move many see as a backstop incase the ongoing East Moreland and TUNA talks fail to find an agreement. The treaty also agrees to share military and criminal intelligence as far as possible, meaning now nations can gain access to each others databases in special circumstances. There will also be a relaxation on visa requirements and an extradition agreement. While much of this is standard practice in many international treaties the treaty does claim to be one "Recognising the unique bond shared by East Moreland and Bakkermaya" In regards to that the treaty establishes an annual tournament of Swordsmanship, likely to feature several disciplines including the growing international sport of Medieval MMA. East Moreland will also be allowed to use Bakkermayan ports for its Navy's Global Pre-Positioning Ship, an asset which is essentially a large container cargo ship containing a combination of military and civilian supplies, such ships were used to quickly send aid to Nya Aland during their various crisis. There will also be a minor military prescence in East Moreland by Bakkermaya troops with 35 members of the Horseman of Jekar being permitted to share ceremonial guard duties with East Moreland's Red Legion. Brigadier Atkins the Commander of the Horseman of Jekar said, "This may seem an insignificant amount but it means the men and women of Bakkermaya are there guarding the places of their Gods. Its a special moment for those selected and the fact that it is the first time in history East Moreland will allow foreign military personnel to be based permanently in their nation is ground breaking in terms of showing trust between our nations." Further trust was placed in the Bakkermayan military when King David agreed to have his daughter spend part of her 2 years of national service in Bakkermaya. Atkins said, "To have a member of the Unasson blood line wear our uniform for only a short period shows this deep sacred bond that exists between our nations. I am sure it will now grow ever stronger in the wake of this agreement."

The Treaty also established two new organisations, the first the Grasa Foundation which is now headed by Duchess Anna Davidson. Grand Duke Hugo Lascelles explained how this organisation will, "Help Morelanders and Bakkermayans live out the Code of Canley as intended. It will explore ways of combatting hunger and poverty, not just on a local scale but on a global scale. We selected the Lead Sword as its Chair as traditionally this role is only ceremonial but held by people in high regard. We must utilise those skills and if the person is supposed to be an example of how the Code works what better person to take up this position." The Duchess was said to be "nervous about such responsibility but excited to make a difference." The Marissa Foundation will also be established with a Morelander as Chair, this will focus on improving health care provision across Mundus as well as aiding in humanitarian operations.

The Treaty was welcomed by many including Stephen Glesson of the  Bakkermayan Heritage Party who said. "Finally we are tied as brothers. Just as it should always have been. We now need a full on alliance between us as if the Morelanders all the Iwi brothers it is not good enough for us to simply be friends."

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2019, 08:51:16 PM »

WATER NOMAD WEAPONS CACHE SEIZED
Did they down Lodjain plane?

A small floatilla of Water Nomads were today stopped by members of the Bakkermayan Marine Commandos and were discovered to be carrying a large haul of weapons. The three ships were caught just inside the Bakkermayan EEZ and stopped soon after as one of the boats seemingly had an oil leak. The ship was offered help being repaired however the Water Nomads refused and while their boat was being seized the Marines found the weapons hidden in the paneling of the ships. The haul saw 15 rifles, 3 handguns and a few grenades which also included a .50cal machine gun, similar to that described as bringing down the recent Lodjain fighter plane.

The Water Nomads are now in the brig of a Bakkermayan Frigate and will be brought to Harby in order to be processed. The military have also begun measures to treat the Water Nomads as potentially armed. The group had been thought to be heading towards small islands between Harby and Paracambi where a gathering of Water Nomads seems to take place this time every year. The Grand Duke has said that this year the gathering will be "discreetly watched" in order to ensure that nothing damaging to the security of Bakkermaya is allowed to take place. Since the beginning of the recent issues with the Water Nomads an estimated 73 have taken up the offer of Bakkermayan citizenship and permitted to continue their wandering around Bakkermaya's EEZ.

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2019, 08:49:04 PM »

"WATER NOMAD NUISANCE"
Weapons appear in Nomad Ships

The scene of a burnt out Water Nomad ship infront of a Bakkermayan naval vessel has become in the last month a very familiar sight. In the last month a total of six Water Nomad vessels have meet this fate following exchanges of gunfire with both military and civilian vessels. Since the downing of a Lodjain patrol aircraft by the Water Nomads the floatillas have been considered hostile by many civilian shipping companies who are more and more routinely placing protection teams on board during their passage across the Alucard. While traditionally the Water Nomads have only equipped themselves with materials for hunting at sea and occasion forages onto the Central Alucard Islands the latest twist has seen them acquire weapons including .50cal heavy machine guns such as that used to bring down the Lodjain aircraft. The latest incident comes as the MV Shining Wave was attacked as it passed close to Harby. On board was Giles Morrison, a former Captain in the Horseman of Jekar and now one of the two directors of Morriboyd Close Protection, a company that has traditionally provided security advice to the rich and famous as well as for the shipment of high value cargo. Morrison made the decision a month ago to offer his companies hands on service to merchant ships and now regularly puts five man protection teams on board ships. "Its been rather lucrative" Morrison explains, "most vessels see no problems, however when we've had a few water nomads take pot shots at the merchant vessels its been enough to simply fire into the water close to them and they don't want to know anymore." The staff of Morriboyd however have also had to act as search and rescue at times too. "We had this one incident where a ship came in and we fired at it, the incident happened at night and they let off a few homemade rockets, in effect nothing but fireworks but this meant we actively engaged the ship not too aware of what was coming in on us. Our tracers set their vessel on fire and we ended up having to pull the five guys from the water. We also found two military grade rifles and a handgun on board their ship before we had to abandon it." The Water Nomads in that incident were arrested and have been moved onboard one of the nations Amphibious Warfare ships which is acting as a makeshift prison for the Water Nomads.

Rees Blum, the Minister of Justice, explained why the navy are acting as gaoler. "We took the initial detainees to shore, six of them and the first day two tried committing suicide saying that evil spirits would come and take them to hell if they stayed on dry land during the night. We were therefore left with the decision of putting our prison staff in a situation of essentially a mass suicide watch or find some way of keeping them at sea. We've contingencies to place prisoners of war on the ships but never had to use them but now seemed a good time." Blum explained what the Nomads will be charged with, "Possessing firearms in international water is a kind of grey area, what worries us is where the hell their getting them from. However once they use them to attack vessels we can look at piracy or terrorism charges." To date it is understood around 23 Water Nomads are in custody. This follows an incident last month where around 30 water nomads died during a shoot out on an island with Bakkermayan Marines, the dead included three children who a military inquest determined were "lawfully killed" indicating that they had been a threat to the soldiers and were believed, in at least two cases correctly, to be holding weapons. Two Marines were wearing body cameras during the incident and it is now understood many more have requested them for when dealing with the Water Nomads, something the Ministry of Defence are to explore in the coming days.

Meanwhile it is understood that a further 30 ships have requested Morriboyd provide security details for their ships as they pass through the Alucard something the other director, Simon Boyd described as "a necessary evil. We cost maybe a few hundred thousand, a delayed ship, lost cargo or damaged cargo can cost the operator millions. We like to think of ourselves as an insurance package."

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2019, 12:52:00 PM »

SEARCH STARTS FOR SOVIET VP'S SISTER
Water Nomads Suspected

Following news that the Soviet Republic of Kaitaine's Vice President's sister had been kidnapped it has now been confirmed that the incident happened in Bakkermayan waters and that the Water Nomads are suspected. The Foreign Affairs Minister John Bernard confirmed the news saying, "While the Kaitaine authorities received a secure encrypted message of what was happening we only received a generalised call for help, this message was however not clear and it took a while for our Navy to reach the area of the incident. A body was recovered which we have now confirmed was a member of the Kaitaine Navy acting as a steward onboard  the Pasternak family motorised yacht upon which Vice-President Pasternak's sister was holidaying. Our naval assets located a group of Water Nomads close to the scene but because of fuelling issues had to leave the area and upon return were unable to find the group who may or may not have been involved. However reports from Marine spotters indicated non-Water Nomads onboard leading us to think the Water Nomads have infact been complicit in the kidnapping of Miss Pasternak."

It was later revealed that additional Air and Sea assets have been moved into the area and contact is being made with the Water Nomad community to try and ascertain what has happened and the whereabouts of the missing people. A leading Water Nomad chieftan has however said, "There is very little chance this being carried out by Water Nomads, we lack the resources to carry out such things. We are a peaceful people and the most violent piece of equipment any of us own are fishing spears and these can not destroy a ship. I believe we are once more being made scapegoats by the Bakkermayan authorities who are acting on a report of a white person on one of our boats. Many tourists commission day trips with our community."

The Kaitaine government have also announced that they are sending their own naval assets to the region and Mr.Bernard has stated, "We will try and work closely with them to expand the search and help find Miss Pasternak and her friends." The Kataine government initially claimed the act was carried out by the Bene Gesserit however Mr.Bernard stated, "We have never had issues with the Bene Gesserit in the Alucard and I would think they would find it hard to work such an operation without local help even if it was them. The Kaitaine government are not as well briefed on the Alucard situation as ourselves and we shall work on our own leads and not maybe the obviously expected finger pointing of the Soviet government." Mr.Bernard was asked about the Grand Duchy's stance on the Bene Gesserit to which he replied, "We believe its leadership is a terrorist organisation. Manipulating particularly young girls into potentially sacrificing their lives to better the aims of a handful of religious elite figures. We see the Truthsayers as active terrorists, we see a member of the faith as someone to be cautious of but only because of the secretive manner in which the faith has conducted business. We will not be arresting people just for saying they follow the Bene Gesserit faith."

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2019, 10:20:46 PM »

LODJAIN SUB STUCK ON SANDBANK
Bakkermayan Navy Sends Aid

As the Lodjain Navy moved assets North to join with TUNA partners to form the Paracambian Kyne Convoy system one of the Lodjain subs has run aground. The sub was heading into a Bakkermayan port to take onboard fresh supplies before entering the Kyne when it struck a sandbank and became stuck. The Bakkermayan Navy swung into action and helped tow the stricken vessel into harbour. The Bakkermayan Naval Engineering Department inspected the sub and found it was free from damage. A spokesman from the Bakkermayan Navy explained the situation. "Some of our coastal waters in the islands have some tricky navigation. It can be difficult for those unsure of them to work through them and the Lodjains are not the first nor will they be the last to come unstuck there. The fact we were able to so swiftly respond meant their was no damage done to the vessel or its crew and it is likely in 24 hours time the sub can be on its way."

The Bakkermayan Navy are also providing assets to the Convoy system which is intending to escort ships of any nation except those of the Iwi and some Midaranyan nations through the Kyne seas. The Convoy system runs from outside the EEZ of Dartfordia to the Matilda Canals. So far the convoy system is being operated by Paracambi, Lodja and Bakkermaya who form the TUNA nations, meanwhile East Moreland have promised to utilise its Ekrabadger to help with resupply missions for the convoy system if needed. Grand Duke Hugo Lascelles spoke saying. "Nations have said they are concerned about the situation in Midaranye and so have sent ships to the area, these ships have no clear role. Essentially just sitting in the North angry at Royal Seleucid. Meanwhile the TUNA nations are taking active steps to ensure the safety of global shipping. We have an open invite to all nations that have not taken a side in this situation to join us. Many hands make light work."

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2019, 07:34:01 PM »

"ROKKENJIMAN ARMS DEAL BREAKS MAEA"
Foreign Minister to ask for MAEA intervention

Following an announcement in the Tytorian media that the nation has agreed to purchase five nuclear powered submarines from Rokkenjima the Bakkermayan Foreign Minister, John Bernard, has raised concerns about the legality of the agreement. The deal, in Minister Bernard's opinion, breaks several articles of the recently signed charter of the Mundus Atomic Energy Agency. The article that the Minister is most concerned about states "Members may only transfer materials to other member nations." as well as pointing out that any transfer of nuclear materials must take place with the agency as an intermediately. Both matters that have not been addressed. As such Mr.Bernard is set to contact the Agency and ensure that such a breach of the charter can not take place.

Mr.Bernard was a career military officer before becoming a politician and discussed the issue during a weekly briefing session with the media. "The proposed sale of nuclear submarines between two nations with close ties should at least in theory be a simple transaction. The fact that these submarines will contain a fully functioning nuclear reactor and associated fuels means that since the formation of the MAEA this sale needs a higher level of due diligence. The very fact that this was an organisation pushed for by Rokkenjima and that they are the first to potentially breach it is a major concern for the Agencies integrity. The Empress of Rokkenjima herself gave ascent to her nations membership and so she must be aware of its contents. Tytor are a nation we have had no personal dealing with however they are also a nation that has a reputation for being rational. That though does not mean Rokkenjima can break the Charter they helped create."

When asked what options are open to the Agency following this potential breach Mr.Bernard stated, " Rokkenjima like any nation who are members are required to maintain a record of material capable of producing more than 25 RAD. With them having agreed to sell to a non-member nation this raises concerns bout any other transfers. As such I believe the MAEA should utilise its rights to carry out inspections within 48 hours of any facilities listed on Rokkenjimas records. I do not believe Rokkenjima will have broken a treaty they pushed for however having been critical of Slava Lavosk for going against international norms and now agreeing to break a treaty I believe a show of good faith by Rokkenjima is a good PR step for them."

When asked whether he opposed Tytor acquiring nuclear powered submarines from Rokkenjima Mr.Bernard replied. "I oppose the sale of nuclear submarines to any nation who are not members of MAEA. As such I believe that if or when Tytor sign up and agree to inspections this whole matter is concluded following those inspections."

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2019, 09:50:32 PM »

DUCHESS TO HOST HASSFURT
Under fire monarchs to visit

The Foreign Office today announced that the King and Queen of Hassfurt would visit Bakkermaya on an official state visit. The visit will begin in Harby where Duchess Rhiannon Farmer will play host before moving on to the capital of Edwinstowe after a few days of leisure and recreation. Duchess Rhiannon is the youngest of the Dukes and Duchesses that make up Bakkermaya and has in the past spoken of one day attempting to become Grand Duchess, an aim that the current Grand Duke has supported. It is believed by some that the decision to allow Duchess Rhiannon to host the visit is motivated by the desire to give the young Duchess experience of international diplomacy and the fact that she is the only one of the six nobles who is classed as an Ermwhal under the Hassfurtian native religion known as Diarchy. The Hassfurtians believe that people are reincarnated and that those who have lead good previous lives are reincarnated with blonde hair and blue eyes. Those considered Ermwhal in Hassfurt enjoy higher status and the fact that the Duchess conforms to this group it is perhaps expected that the visitors will settle in better to how things are done in Bakkermaya. The visit also comes at a tricky time for those in Hassfurt as their King is under fire for fathering a child to a lower ranking woman.

The Grand Duke believes that it is important to seek out new oppurtunities with nations across Mundus. "Hassfurt have been criticised for their religious structure. To my knowledge this system of theirs has not been used to persecute people but I do believe that Hassfurt has perhaps held its own people back. We perhaps can by dialouge with them seek to improve these lower strata people's lot. Additionally we hold positions at the East and Western edges of the Mhroish and Krimeon corridor so hold a unique position in being able to work towards naval security. Both our nations have limited trade ties with the wider world and so are in a good position to support each other."

The Grand Duke is expected to host a Medieval MMA event on the final night of the Hassfurtians stay. "It is my understanding the nation of Hassfurt view martial skill as important. As followers of the Cult of Helus so do we. While this won't sadly feature major world titles it will showcase a sport we love and our nations own stars." The event is set to take place in the Grand Duke's Palace garden.

DUCHESS ANNA PROUD OF ACHKAERIN HONOUR
TUNA clean up awarded Queen's Award for Engineering

The Annual Queen's Award for Engineering given by the Queen's Foundation of Achkaerin has been awarded to the TUNA clean up project. The talks for the project which has seen several tens of tonnes of plastic waste removed from the Alucard ocean was discussed in Wellow by representatives from Lodja, Paracambi and Bakkermaya. Duchess Anna of Wellow went on to author and chair the Treaty for the Environment which has seen several nations sign up in support of a variety of targets designed to lower the threat to the environment. The Duchess, who is currently Lead Sword of Bakkermaya, was at a conference when the news reached her. "To see engineers from our fledgling organisation win such an award is a great moment. TUNA has only been in existance just over a year and we've undertaken one of the worlds most ambitious environmental operations. Add to that we've fostered trade among ourselves to an increased extent and we've undertaken a key role in helping Paracambi with their Kyne Convoy system. I think TUNA could be an organisation that keeps on growing and doing great things and we're soon to explore some key ideas for the next 12 months with TUNA."

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2019, 09:02:28 PM »

WELLOW TO REPLACE GOVERNOR
Rhodes AWOL

Duchess Anna Davidson has today confirmed that she is replacing the Seaforthian Joshua Rhodes as governor of Wellow. The Seaforthian was appointed when Duchess Anna became Lead Sword and was responsible for overseeing the Ducal Council for Wellow as well as managing the islands day to day business. The Duchess had appointed the foreigner believing that he would help raise the profile of the island among the international community. Speaking today as she visited the island on a break from her duties as Lead Sword the Duchess said, " It is unfortunate that the Governor has been absent with no word. I wish him well wherever he is however I can't have my home island waiting around for the Governor to return and as such it is neccessary for me to replace him. I have yet to determine who shall be given the role but expect a decision to be made within the next 48 hours."

The island has gained some prestige in the last year by becoming home of the Wellow Environmental Protection Treaty which was the world's first attempt at putting together a global approach to climate change. The Lead Sword however will likely be absent from the day to day management of her island for the next two years while she serves as the official connection between the Ducal Council and the Grand Duke. Many speculate that Duchess Anna will seek to appoint another foreigner experienced in politics with some speculating the former Chief Councillor of East Moreland Thomas More may be in line for the job. Another person perhaps being considered is Amelia Merriman who has been absent from Morelander politics since standing down as Youth Minister earlier this year. Among those in contention from Wellow many believe the former Mayor of Wellow City, Simon Matthews, may get appointed.

ZDS SET FOR MILITARY RIFLE TEST
Smart Weapons of the future

Following a successful test of biological adaptation within the Armed Forces by Zenith Data Systems a second test is set for early in the New Year. The previous test saw voulenteers have eye drops made of Chlorin e6 placed in their eyes, these drops helped them see in low light conditions and showed a significant improvement in target accusition in the dark.  The newest test will see a group of 30 soldiers have a small microchip implanted under their skin close to the thumb, this will be paired with a second microchip attached to a trigger lock installed on a standard issue military rifle. The concept has been trialled by several of ZDS' own staff who have demonstrated on firing ranges that the process works. ZDS' CEO Peter Simod was one of those who has been part of the demonstration where staff from this paper were invited to try and find a way of firing Mr.Simod's own pistol, none were able to. Mr.Simod however was able to operate the weapon normally and with a fairly good amount of accuracy. Speaking after his demonstration Mr.Simod said, "Gun safety is a big issue in many places on Mundus. There are devices in the marketplace that allow weapons to be made safe, most of them see the firer needing to wear a ring or wristband for the weapon to fire. This is a decent system but clearly should a person lose the key to allow them to fire the weapon they are defenceless. Imagine at night someone breaks into your house and you have to fumble around to find your ring that allows your gun to fire. Our system means you've always got the safety key with you so all you would need to do is grab the gun and use it. Its a system I think could be useful in the military but that environment is very different from the ZDS firing range."

The test will see the 30 voulenteers take part in a week long series of manouvers against a similar sized group using conventional weapons. At the end of the test the group will provide ZDS with feedback. Mr.Simod explains, "I think we can make a chip that does several things. Several of our staff have used a disc under our skin to make navigation devices, if this works we have a way of neutralising our weapons should they be captured or hijacked. I think we can keep adding to what these chips can do and with luck in the next decade it can present a front line soldier with a whole host of extra tools they can use." Mr.Simod currently has six different "Bio-chips" implanted around his body, these include the "North-Sense" satnav system, a gun safety chip, a chip allowing him to pay for goods on his credit card using his index finger as well as his little finger allowing him to pay for train tickets.

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2020, 10:15:11 PM »

FORMER EM MINISTER ARRIVES IN WELLOW
Duchess confirms "conversation" over Governorship

Former East Moreland Youth Minister Amelia Merriman was today photographed arriving in Wellow following reports of her being on a flight from Northfort. The 24 year old resigned as a Representative Councillor several months back and thus stepped down at the same time as the East Moreland Youth Minister. During her time as Youth Minister she helped organise a global protest against KaiserAdolf's anti LGBT stance as well as being one of the three founders of the Freestone Mark alongside Tim Carpenter and Melissa Lusk. Since standing down as Youth Minister she has kept a rather low profile however it was confirmed that she was considered as a member of Duchess Stasya Pelagiya's staff. Following the images turning up on the internet and rumours of her purpose in Wellow circulating the Duchess of Wellow and Lead Sword of Bakkermaya Duchess Anna Davison confirmed that she was considering Merriman as the new governor of Wellow following the depature of Joshua Rhodes. "We wanted someone with experience of being pro-active in terms of political activity as well as someone with experience of dealing with overseas third parties. Amelia Merriman has that experience despite her young age and being a Cultist is likely to understand our nation very well. The term would be for probably two years and the meeting is as much about whether she wants to commit to being a representative of Wellow as whether she is suitable for the role."

It was later confirmed during the day that Merriman would be spending several days on the island and would be touring around several towns as well as taking part in some public appearances in local schools. One school's Head-Teacher stated, "Miss Merriman is an inspiring young woman. It is good for students to get a chance to meet people like her who at a young age has achieved a great deal. We are looking forward to welcoming her to our school." It is understood the Morelander will be staying at the Governor's Villa. There is still no word as to where Joshua Rhodes has gone.

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2020, 10:52:29 PM »

LEAD SWORD COMPLETES SERVICE
Duchess Anna set to return to Wellow

Following the end of her term as Lead Sword Duchess Anna of Wellow has returned to her island Duchy. The Wellow native was the first female to hold the position of Lead Sword which is effectively the official conduit between the elected bodies of Bakkermaya and the Grand Duke. During her time away from the island Wellow has struggled for leadership with the missing Joshua Rhodes holding the position of governor initially before struggling to find a replacement despite East Moreland's former Youth Minister having been considered for the role at one point however Amelia Merriman and the Duchess are said to have not reached a "mutually agreed roadmap for the governorship of Wellow." however the young Morelander has been seen spending a lot of time on the island where she has said, "I think Wellow is a beautiful island and has strived to make a difference for its nation and Mundus. I just think the direction I would see the island take would conflict with the Duchesses and make her return more difficult. It's a shame we couldn't work together on this but it was best for the people of Wellow."

The Duchess will remain in Edwinstowe for a further 48 hours awaiting the decision on who will replace her. She will then take part in a ceremony to hand over the ceremonial blade before returning home. It is not permitted to serve consecutive terms in the symbolic role however an individual may hold the position numerous times. The Duchess has gone on record saying that she would consider taking the position again if it were offered and has even stated that once Grand Duke Hugo Lascelles stands aside she intends to run for the position saying. "Grand Duke Hugo is a man I admire. He's tried to help our nation take an initiative in several arenas and I think he is the best leader that we have at our disposal. Once he steps aside I will be older, sadly slightly greyer, and hopefully wiser. I think I learnt a lot as Lead Sword and this will help me help my country in the future."

The Duchess has also set out what she intends to do upon her return to Wellow. "First thing we need to do is start looking at ways of utilising our ability for renewable energy, we're blessed with sunny days, some bracing ocean winds at time and crashing waves. I think at present about 20% of our energy is from renewables, if we can get this number up we stand a chance of preserving our environment and saving people money. We also need to look at ways of ensuring more of our young people get to higher education. Out of the various Duchies we have the lowest rate of uptake to College or University, that must change so we either need to improve education, provide more opportunities or probably look at how we can fund these young people. 48 hours from now I'll be back in my old office looking at just how we can do these things."

It is expected that the new Lead Sword will be named tomorrow with the ceremony to put them into the position taking place the following day.

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2020, 09:40:21 PM »

ELLIOT LARKWOOD TO BE NEW LEAD SWORD
Ex-Police Chief to be sworn in tomorrow

Grand Duke Hugo Lascelles has today announced that the nations new Lead-Sword will be Elliot Larkwood. The ceremonial role that links the Parliament of Swords to the Grand Duke. The 52 year old from Elmwood replaces Duchess Anna Davidson and is the first Lead-Sword from Elmwood in 30 years. Mr.Larkwood is distantly related to Duke Aiden Wilkinson who is said to be "delighted that one of my Duchy has been selected to have such a prestigious position. I have known Elliot all my life and I am confident that his selection will be an excellent one. I wish him every success in his role and know that he will serve our nation's people with dignity and respect." Mr.Larkwood served as an officer in the Military Police for 15 years before becoming a civilian police officer ascending through the ranks to become the Chief of Police for his home provinces Ducal capital of Fairfield. During his time as Chief of Police he was famed for a zero tolerance approach to many crimes as well as setting up a whole host of youth involvement projects.

Grand Duke announced the decision from the Ducal Palace saying, "The idea of the Lead-Sword is that it is a position given to someone worthy of essentially being given the sword of the nation. Someone who has been a dutiful servant of the nation, has followed the Code of Canley and is a great example to the people of this nation, and other Cultists around the world. Elliot is someone who has spent a lifetime keeping Bakkermaya safe and is worthy of being recognised in that regard. I'm very much looking forward to working with him and hope we can form as good a working relationship as I had with Duchess Anna." The ceremony where the Duchess officially hands over the nations sword will take place tomorrow at the Temple of Frossaj  and will be officiated by the Priestess of Frossaj for Edwinstowe, Caroline Jackson, in what will be her first ceremonial role since assuming the role six months ago.