Author Topic: An Offer to Seaforth  (Read 4955 times)

Offline Paracambi

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Paracambi
An Offer to Seaforth
« on: October 13, 2018, 08:05:18 PM »

AN OFFER MADE IN THE INTEREST OF FRIENDSHIP

Dear King Andrew

Some time ago our nations were looking to be on opposite sides of a sticky situation in Zimalia. Our nation has ancient ties to that nation as a good many of our people can trace their ancestory to slaves kidnapped by the Seleucid from those lands. As such we see them as kind of long lost brothers, or perhaps a cousin, either way we feel obliged to support them as best we can. As a result there is currently a squadron of F-22 Loggerheads based in Zimalia on a defensive posture. I feel with that situation now de-escalated that I would like to bring those aircraft home, however I still have concerns over the safety of Zimalia. You are though a man that I have no reason to doubt the credibility of and so I therefore make this offer to you. I shall bring the squadron home should Seaforth make two promises. The first promise is that they will agree to never take any military action against Zimalia unless first attacked by Zimalia. The second promise is to join with me and donate half the cost of building a 500 bed hospital in Mogebbe, the other half will come from Paracambi. It is estimated that the cost will be in the region of $300million each. I believe this second venture will show that we are committed to support the people of Zimalia while showing the world there is no lasting issues between our nations. I hope you find these proposals acceptable and would if they are not be willing to either meet in person or via representatives to find a mutually agreeable compromise that allows Seaforth to have its much loved Illumic less cluttered with foreign forces while giving us piece of mind about our kin in Zimalia.

Blessings of the Loa be upon you

Emperor Benson II of Paracambi, Grand Hougon of the Vodou Faith.

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Seaforth
Re: An Offer to Seaforth
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 08:30:12 AM »

King and Council sat around the large conference table. Present were the Royal Council and the Chief Ministers, there to discuss the recent communication from Paracambi. Brining the meeting to order, King Andrew looked to Duke Raynald Lachlan.

"Well Raynald? Do we accept?"

Raynald scowled momentarily.

"I don't think that anyone here believes we were on the opposite sideof Paracambi with the Zimalia incident. They were looking out for their self described cousins and we didn't want a shooting match in the Illumic by non-Illumic nations. We have been looking for a Zimalian initiative for some time and this may be what we are looking for."

"With the Tamoran development, this could be a good counter-balance." Said Duke Joshua Rhodes.

King Andrew looked around the table and posed a question.

"So we have no issues with Paracambi. What about the details of the hospital? Who builds it? Staffs it?"

"I think we have to talk that out with the leadership of Paracambi" Said Duke Raynald. "Shall I arrange it?"

"No, this will be a first time relationship. I will handle it...just work out the background details for me."

Dear Emperor Benson,

I am most pleased by your offer of friendship with my Kingdom. I assure you, I understand your position and hold no ill will towards either yourself, your nation or your cousins in Zimalia. In fact, I have recently made overtures to President Elwes. I am delighted to tentatively accept your proposal with a few minor clarifications.

1) We accept the funding levels you suggest

2) I believe Zimalia is unable to provide the engineering and construction capacity for this project. Therefore I suggest the construction be overseen by a Seaforthian construction company with the caveat that they hire as many Zimalian workers and sub-contractors as possible.

3) As Zimalia is undereducated and likely unable to staff said hospital, I suggest it be set up to be staffed and administered as a teaching hospital by the Seaforth Ministry of Health and the Paracambi equivalent in partnership, with the end goal of allowing Zimalians to fully staff the hospital themselves, to a first world level of health care.

4) Zimalia is a tumultuous nation, one where all parts are not necessarily working together. The promise of not taking ANY military action is very narrow and restrictive. Im sure we could both find situations where military action is warranted though our nations are not under attack. And what is your definition of military action. Your squadron of F-22s on Zimalia could be defined as military action. I can however promise this: You have my personal assurances that the Kingdom of Seaforth will not violate the sovereignty of Zimalia barring action such as percieved or imminent attack, clear and present danger, self-defense or other hostile acts contrary to international law or mutually agreed upon convention.

Warm Regards,

Andrew III

Offline Paracambi

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 09:47:47 AM »
Benson started his day off outside his home in Aluhampton, it was to be the beginning of a rather important meeting and so he had gathered the press and various Ministers. "Ladies and Gentleman, today I will travel to Seaforth to discuss helping our cousins in Zimalia. I hope we can reach a deal with King Andrew that will allow them to access better health-care and bring long term safety to their nation. With that in mind I ask for the Loa's to give their blessings to my work" On cue an aide brought out a goat, its bleets bringing a few laughs, Benson took hold of its lead, knelt, spoke to it in a soothing voice while with his free hand he sliced its neck open. The blood rushed onto the floor turning the white stone dark. The crowd watched until the twitching goat had stopped moving and then two men lifted the body onto a cart and wheeled it away. "The Loa's have had their offerings" he added as he walked away wiping his hands on a towel provided. The press rushed off to immediately make their reports as the Emperor was whisked away to the airport. "Harris" Benson addressed his personal secretary as they boarded the aircraft, "Can you find me some new shoes or at least get these cleaned" he slipped off his leather shoes, splashes of the goat blood still on them. He then settled down to read through various government documents as he flew to Seaforth.

As he arrived in Seaforth the newly found shoes were presented, Benson did laugh slightly when he spotted a young Air Force corporal who was onboard the flight stood in just socking feet. "I'm sorry young man" Benson shook the man's hand, "But I fear my need today is greater than yours. I'll bring them back" he patted the man on the arm playfully before heading out to meet the welcoming party.

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 08:34:55 PM »

King Andrew of Seaforth and Duke Raynald, the Foreign Minister, awaited the emperor as appropriate for initial meetings. As the Emperor deplaned and made his way over to the welcoming party, the Royal Seaforth Pipe and Drums played the Paracambi National Anthem. As the sounds of Minstrel Boy rang out over the tarmac, the colour guard displayed the Paracambi Imperial Banner as well as the Imperial Naval Force flag, in deference to the Emperor's national service. King Andrew and Emperor Benson shook hands and posed for the required pictures.

"Emperor Benson, welcome to Seaforth. May I present Duke Raynald, our Foreign Minister."

Duke Raynald greeted the Emperor and presented him with Seaforth's traditional gift to foreign leaders and nobles upon thier first meeting. The size of a judges gavel, the gift is a silver replica of the Seaforth Warhammer, representing justice and the equanimity of the two nations.

Offline Paracambi

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 09:43:40 AM »
"Thank you" the Emperor said shaking hands with each of the Seaforthians, "Now I hope you too will accept this" It was about the size of a wine bottle, carved in dark wood but then painted brightly, a woman with gold chains around her neck a snake draped across her two outstretched hands as though offering the serpent to the viewer. "This is an idol of Anaisa Pye, she is one the Loa, our spirit guides if you will. It is believed she brings love, happiness and money into any household that has her." He then handed the warhammer to one of his aides who carefully carried it back to the waiting plane. "Now King Andrew I hope that we can reach some agreement regarding Zimalia, their a nation we take an interest in and now we see the Tamorains there almost manipulating the locals towards their own faith and traditions. For us this isn't just about helping make the future of Zimalia better its about helping them remain Zimalian, many of our cultural beliefs have roots in that land, the idol I gave you, once upon a time it would have had some other perhaps and a Zimalian tribe would have followed it. What we need to achieve is helping the Zimalians stand on their feet not rely on others. That requires two things, first the creation of strong infrastructure that they can control, the second security. I would like to leave here knowing we've managed to at least start to achieve both these. You're rather uniquely placed, you and the Morelanders control the Illumic but then we see the influence of Rokkenjima. I was pleased that you managed to apparently reign in the Rokkenjimans but who knows how long that will last? I would like to know that the chances of our squadron returning  once they depart are minimal and you're the man I think can do that."

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 10:56:00 PM »

Andrew accepted the idol with pleasure, the first gift to the Kingdom of Seaforth, it would have a special place in Seaforth Castle.

"Emperor Benson, I agree with both of your assessments. East Moreland and Seaforth are the dominant forces in the Illumic. We generally see eye to eye on how it should be administered and we both want the same things for the Illumic. Peace, stability and prosperity. We work tirelessly to ensure that. One thing that upsets that balance is non-Illumic nations sending in weapons of war where they are not needed. We were unhappy that Paracambi and others sent fighter squadrons into the Illumic without even a note to either East Moreland or ourselves. Like I said, it complicated things. Rokkenjima is a large and wealthy nation...they do have a presence in the Illumic...as well as other places on Mundus. However, as you can plainly see, the Rokkenjimans operate in the Illumic as our guests and at our pleasure. Because of our relationship with the First Empire, Beatrice will listen to our concerns will often alter her plans to accommodate the wishesof an Illumic nation. In this instance, we requested that she stand down her armed forces. Something she did and an ugly battle was avoided."

"Now, I don't want to see any more hardship come to Zimalia. It's a country that has suffered enough. I also understand that we both want your squadron returned to Paracambi and that you can be reasonably assured that you won't need to send it back. My Kingdom is prepared to assist Zimalia with both the security and infrastructure that you state is needed. In fact, we sent you a 4 point summary of what we feel would be needed to pull this off. If you have had a chance to look it over I would be most interested in your comments and suggestions as to how this could work."

Offline Paracambi

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 09:16:23 AM »
Benson listened carefully to what Andrew had to say, " Allow me to be clear and frank. We have no intention of trying to muscle in on the Illumic. Its a waterway far away from our home and the only reason we would have to get involved normally would be a threat to say our global shipping, but thankfully you and the Morelanders have that in hand, just as we do in the Alucard thanks to the TUNA Agreement. However you have to remember that Zimalia is an Illumic nation too and while non-Illumic forces sit welcome in your waters it is hard to deny Zimalia the right to invite them to sit in the skies. Now Rokkenjima may have complied with your requests this time, but we all know they have a vast array of weaponry they like to wave in people's faces that could threaten Zimalia without even setting one foot in the Illumic so to speak. So while you may hold one set of reigns it is clear the Rokkenjimans aren't yours to control fully. Hence why Zimalia needs protecting. It's aircraft fleet is ancient and poorly maintained, I think if I am honest, that it couldn't even hold back the East Moreland boy scouts if they elected to invade. My understanding is that the Rokkenjiman prescence in the Illumic is a long standing agreement that I suspect you would even like rid of. Your nation is militarily capable, is friends with the Morelanders, one of the more capable militaries on Mundus, I suspect if push came to shove you'd probably have Zimalia under your control in what....a week? Then add into it the fact that the Rokkenjiman behemoth is also on your side and you must understand that Zimalia will naturally feel threatened and is well entitled to look for help defending its airspace, especially because the Morelanders have violated it not once but twice with no international outcry. At least with our aircraft there, and those of the Alanders and Tamora their airspace was secure. Now from our point of view our move is purely defensive and I would invite you to visit our squadron and confirm for yourself what I tell you. We only issued our aircraft with air to air missiles and accompanying pods and the like, our squadron clearly is on a defensive posture.

Now this brings me to the first problem. You say you are happy to assist Zimalia with security, well why would they trust you? You're best buddies are the Ironsides, I believe your even some kind of guardian figure to their Princess Rhiannon? Now that being the case we've a Morelander monarch who has twice issued orders to his military to invade Zimalian airspace, and Lords know how many other violations those special forces of theirs have made. Forgive the turn of phrase but that in their eyes likely puts you on the side of the devils. I think one reality you should also look at recognising is this whole crisis dragged Zimalia to world attention like little else has, suddenly you've the Tamorans all over it for their cultural imperialism and economic gain. They too have a decent military and are likely to look to defend their investment. Add to that the Alanders have many people in what I would perceive as the dangerzone should an attack come, they are going to want to know their humanitarian workers are as protected as one could be in that situation. I think therefore you are going to have to expect some foreign forces in Zimalia as a counterweight to your Rokkenjiman guests."

Benson turned his thoughts to the four point plan.  "I am pleased you will help us fund the hospital. At present I know the Tamorans are doing a lot there and the Alanders have some good public health education. What I want is to ensure that the Zimalians though don't become reliant on the foreign involvement for good, which brings me onto point two of your plan. I disagree that Zimalia is unable to provide the engineering and construction for the project, I know Zimalia looks a shit hole from the outside but it does have many luxury hotels which were built by Zimalians, the problem is the corruption that can take place on their projects, as such I propose an alternative point two. We appoint a pair of project managers, one each, who will oversee the project but the Zimalians will provide all the labour. Then as to point three, I agree with you they may at the start lack the health care professionsals. We therefore agree with your measures but also believe we should use organisations such as the Mundus Health Organisation and the Global Childbirth Initiative.

Now point four refers to what I was saying earlier. Before I issue orders for my birds to come home I need to know that Zimalia will not be attacked without them giving just cause. As such I would like to see that you would not permit Rokkenjima to use facilities in Seaforth to undertake any military operations against Zimalia, be that information gathering, be that surveillance or actual attacks. I do not want to see a single Rokkenjiman ship from the base you host in Zimalian territorial waters, nor do I wish to see one aircraft undertaking any activity in their airspace either by directly flying into it or gathering data from within it. If I have that reassurance I would feel confident to bring the aircraft home."

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 06:54:43 PM »

The King listened carefully, rolling over Emperor Benson's words in his mind...

"Ok Emperor Benson, lets walk this back the points we agree on. We will fund the hospital as agreed in partnership with you. The overseeing project managers from both Seaforth and Paracambi is also acceptable. You say they have the ability, but for the corruption aspect. I'm going to put my trust in you that this is so. As to staffing the hospital, you are correct. We will have to staff it to begin with, but the goal will always be a Zimalian staffed hospital. I would also note I have been reading about a young Alander there. Something to look into, perhaps. If you believe that the Mundus Health Organization and the lobal Childbirth Initiatives will be a net benefit to our goals here, I see no reason not to include them if they are willing.

Here Andrew paused for a moment.

"We are very good allies with East Moreland, and you are correct. Both myself and my cousin Joshua are Sword and Shield parents to Rhiannon. Now to be honest, East Moreland violated Zimalian sovereignty twice. Once to deal with a known terrorist problem...specifically the Borlanders and once to deal with piracy a perpetual problem in the Illumic due to nations like Zimalia. The internal problems of Zimalian will not be solved by external military force. I know that. You know that and your concern for Rokkenjima is noted. I have heard you. The Rokkenjimans are using QAMB to support Rokkenjiman humanitarian efforts and defense obligations to allies in the region. Neither of which requires an offensive or first strike capability. Therefore, I will speak to the Empress and inform her that the Kingdom of Seaforth will not support or allow Rokkenjiman forces to use QAMB to prosecute an aggressive or offensive military stance or agenda. This of course will preserve their right to self defense, or action in the defense of allied forces."

"Now, I would request from you a couple things. I would like your support in asking the Tamorans and Alanders to go home as well. You can inform them of our agreement. Additionally, I would impose on your relationship with President Elwes to further the agreement we made here and discuss with him two things. One, tighten up the borders of the Principality of Northern Borland. We can't have the terrorists using it as a safe place to run to or rest up and them come out again and strike somewhere else. Secondly, to do what he can to curb those of his people engaged in piracy. If you agree to speak with those people, I think we have an accord.

Offline Paracambi

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 10:15:54 PM »
"It seems we are making progress" Benson beamed, "however speaking of their being a known terrorist problem makes it all sound so black and white while I personally believe there is a whole variety of shades of Grey, I remember my wife having once possessed a book on 50 Shades of them, must have been a very interesting book on international diplomacy." he chuckled slightly, " You see there is no escaping some of the Borlanders have committed horrendus acts, but some would argue they have tried to be aimed towards achieving a freedom. The history of the conflict there is one I do not know a great deal about but there is the old phrase one man's terrorist is another mans freedom fighter. To the people of Zimalia I suspect those Borlanders are not seen as terrorists, and the King of East Moreland is a fan of the phrase perception is reality isn't he?" He stopped and thought for a moment, "You know I suspect if you speak to the Seleucid or Tamorans we are terrorists, for over a hundreds years we did everything humanly possible to prevent their slave trade from happening. We targeted trade ports with indiscriminate canon fire several times, we sunk all Seleucid ships we could regardless of whether they were slavers or not. Ask though those we took from the ships we boarded and they'd call us Freedom Fighters. So long as those people living in the so called Northern Principality refrain from acts of aggression I will not call them terrorists, Kyle Barren however I would. This may seem odd because I'm calling the leader of the Borlanders a terrorist but not his people, but the people of the so called Principality do not live there for any great love of Kyle Barren, they live there because it gives them hope. Regardless of your own personal feelings towards Barren he's probably done more to support humanitarian work in Zimalia than either of us so far. It's a tricky situation. As such I'm not going to request the boarder of the Principality gets tightened, for many Zimalians it's their route out of poverty and strife and so its a door I will not slam shut. Tighter boarder between Zimalia and the rest of Alba Karinya that I can support as that is how you stop the terrorists.  As for Elwes I'll meet with him once we're done, now I think if I go offering a hospital and the like I'll be well recieved so I can offer you some hope on that, the problem is the Borlanders are reasonably popular there for being the saviours when disease stalked their land. So point one I think you'll find difficult, point two I think is rather mute for the time being as the Morelanders sorted that one. However I will flag your concerns and see what can be done, I believe you have MICA or something? Maybe that is a way forward? Now as for the Alanders, we have decent relations but I wouldn't say we have influence, I will attempt to see if they'll go home but I can promise nothing. The Tamorans though are different, as you may be aware our nations have a few issues, putting it politely, over the slavery issue. I think if I go asking them to remove squadrons they'll likely say no just to spite me so that will have to be dealt with on a different course. The key is that now the danger is passed is to de-escalate the issue for the future and that means people putting guns down. We stand either side of this and as such we can have a great influence on our respective sides. I therefore have the first real concrete suggestion on this" he reached inside his pocket and removed a notebook, he opened it and removed a neatly trimmed piece of paper showing it Andrew and keeping it in his hand, with his free hand he gave the notebook to Andrew.

The note was written in Benson's own writing.

Quote from: Benson's note

I ask the Loa of my faith witness this promise. I shall not order the military of my Empire to take aggressive action against Seaforth unless directly attacked. Furthermore we agree to withdraw our aircraft from the Illumic by the end of November in return for reassurances over Seaforth not permitting QAMB to be used as a staging post for pre-emptive action against Zimalia.

"So Andrew, do I have to give you this note?" Benson asked as he let Andrew have the notebook, he then took the piece of paper in both hands, "Or do we rip this up for something new. I guess I'm offering to put my gun down." 

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 06:18:26 PM »
"I hear you Emperor Benson. I only ask that you try...and any gains made are for the better. I thought maybe that as Tamora and Paracambi are both in Zimailia you had reached some kind of accord. It appears however, that your stance on slavery is in step with our own. That's good though, I fear the situation in Midaranye is escalating and the more friends we each have the better."

"If Zimalia can work with us towards furthering peace in the Illumic, I would be willing to sponsor them for membership in MICA, and I thank you for your willingmess to speak with President Elwes."

King Andrew smiled warmly at Emperor Benson and offered his hand to seal the deal.

"Alright my friend, let's build a hospital together."

Offline Paracambi

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 08:18:27 PM »
Benson released the note to Andrew, so far the Seaforthian had not given him any cause to doubt his word and he hoped this would be the case moving forward. "Now as for things moving forward I think we can be the bridge between two rather significant regions, the Alucard and the Illumic. Only the relatively thin strip of the Mhorish Sea seperates our relative spheres of influence. These are two major waterways. What I'd like you to consider is some relative intelligence style sharing. You give us a list of ships your interested in, we give you the same. As they transit the Illumic you inform us, as they transit the Alucard we inform you. This way two major waterways will at least have someone with their eyes on issues such as the piracy?" Benson was keen to start his nation down the pah of being part of the international community and that meant keeping their waterways as safe as Seaforth and East Moreland had the Illumic.

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2018, 12:53:41 AM »

Andrew thought for a moment, seeing the benefit in such a relationship.

"I think someone hing like that can be agreed to. May I suggest perhaps an armed forces officer exchange? I think that would go a long ways to achieve what we desire."

Offline Paracambi

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2018, 08:34:39 PM »
"That sounds to me like a decent plans, say maybe 20 officers in the first instance, however I would insist that we place some conditions, first that they are not permitted to be placed in units being sent into combat, second that they be permitted to observe their religious practices while serving. If those two conditions meet you approval then consider this agreed."

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2018, 05:35:10 AM »
"I agree to both points. The exchange I had in mind was to attach these officers to various headquarters to facilitate the exchange of information, and Seaforth cherishes it's freedom of religious practice. Now, I think I am quite satisfied with the arrangement we have made here, Emperor Benson. Is there anything else my Kingdom can help you with?"

Offline Paracambi

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2018, 02:48:43 PM »
"On the matters of Zimalia I think we're now eye to eye and can't think of any other issues, but it would be remiss of me not to make the most of my visit here. At present we've no formal agreement between our nation. I would like to suggest three additional agreements between us. The first, that we establish embassies between us. Now I'm not telling you how to run your diplomatic service but our nation is made up of six Principalities, each with a sense of its own autonomy on some affairs, for example each can have their own policies on the legality of drugs. As such my job is to keep a fair balance between them and foreign policy is one issue in terms of not putting one above the other. Clearly any embassy you build will be in our capital Aluhampton, however I'd like you to place a consulate or some prescence in the other Principalities. We're also looking to promote tourism and so who knows they may become useful to help Seaforthian tourists.

"The second thing is that I would like to encourage trade between us, both our nations are blessed with a naval heritage from what I understand. So perhaps if each of us nominated a series of say three types of goods we need and that we shall permit import of them tax free. On our part we require are automobiles, electronics and refined chemicals, I'd be willing to remove tariffs on these things with immediate effect if you were to consider giving us a similar deal on things we make. Our nation has a thriving aluminium ore mining industry, we produce vast quantities of tropical fruit and vegetables I suspect your climate can't produce as well as things such as sugar and rubber."

"Finally I'd like permission to construct places of worship and schools dedicated to the Vodou faith, I know we are in short numbers here, possibly I'm the only Vodouist in Seaforth right now, I don't know. But I have a reputation to uphold as a spiritual head of faith and as you're the first stop since I claimed that then I'd be foolish not to capitalise on it. For me back home its more a propaganda victory, "Emperor Benson the Great Vodou Hougon building shrines across the world!" He swept his arms in an arc like showing a movie title written in the sky. "I don't know your stance on organised religion so I hope some agreement could be reached."

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2018, 03:48:42 AM »
" I believe an embassy in your capital will be sufficient for now, with independent offices for each principality under our ambassador. I will also instruct each representative of Seaforth to make weekly visits to each of their assigned principalities. I think this will be an excellent start and I am of course open to individual consulates at a later time, when our relationship has grown some."

"While our own aluminum industry is not as strong as yours, it is present. If it's just raw ore you are talking about..that I could do, but not processed aluminum. The fruits, vegetables, rubber, electronics, automobiles can also be accomidated. I believe we will be able to help you most of all with the refined chemicals. The major Seaforthian shipping corporations have recently partnered with PAL shipping from Quintellia to increase the security of shipped goods. I daresay joining that alliance would smooth over your relationship with customs to a very high degree."

"With our troubles with the Seaforth Catholic Church and the uncovered horrors it caused, we, as a people are very finicky these days about religion. We are a secular nation with freedom of religion, but a separation of church and state. What a person believes and practices at home is their own business as long as it does not violate any of our basic laws or human rights. There is no barrier to purchasing land or a building and making it a religious site of Vodou. Religious workers would need to apply for a work VISA the same as any other person, though in your case, since there are unlikely to be any Seaforthian Vodou instructors to compete with, I see that as a very small barrier to overcome."

Offline Paracambi

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2018, 10:19:35 AM »
"To date our nation has little in the way of refining the bauxite we mine, thus we're some way off being able to produce mass quantities of aluminium ourselves, but we have the ore quiet literally coming out of our ass. The only really heavy manufacturing we have is shipbuilding and that is more out of necessity than anything else. This is something we'll change in the next twenty years or so as we develop things back home, but for now we'll be exporting our bauxite to you and others like you. I think therefore we have an agreement on the tariffs, maybe we should build in however that should either of us wish to change our three products or stop the agreement a 12 month notice period must be given? Who knows perhaps in time we can build to more products and a dream may one day be completely tarrif free trade between us."

"As for the a Seaforthian Vodou instructor, I agree but that is not the concern. I think you'll know just as much as me that our actions speak loudly to our subjects. I announced myself as essentially the Vodou Pope, its a faith that is strong in my nation and the worrying thing is extremists wishing to see it spread, by announcing myself in the way I did I effectively can add some element of control over these groups, but they will expect to quickly see evidence of me delivering on spreading the Vodou faith across Mundus. Imagine the propaganda of me standing outside a building in Seaforth saying that this will become the first Vodou place of worship not just in Seaforth but likely in Aranye. Even if no one uses the place on a daily basis the faithful will see action towards my promise and that is good enough for me, should anyone actually embrace the faith so much the better."

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2018, 07:56:14 PM »
"Well, we definitely can refine the bauxite and it is only prudent to have language in our contract to account for evolving economies. As your economy evolves from raw materials into more refined and finished products, Seaforth would be keen to aid you in that."

Andrew paused as Emperor Benson explained the Vodou situation

"Ah. I'm sorry I misunderstood. Religion is a private affair here, now. There are no barriers to Vodou, it's practitioners or religious sites so long as they meet the requirements for immigration, VISAS, building codes, real estate laws or any other applicable convention. I can see that it would be a major victory for you politically and I wish you the best of luck in that regard."

Offline Paracambi

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2018, 10:38:22 AM »
Therefore what I propose is as follows.

1. Paracambi shall remove one squadron of fighters from Zimalia upon the following conditions being meet.

a) Seaforth place limitations on the kind of operations carried out by Rokkenjima from QAMB (OOC- I understand there is something afoot there in the future but figure we started this a while back so it would still be there)

b) Seaforth commit to building and supporting a hospital in Zimalia.

2. Paracambi agree to make enquiries on Seaforth's behalf about removing further foreign hardware from Zimalia.

3. The two nations agree that the following goods moving from Paracambi to Seaforth shall be permitted to move tariff free.

a)Bauxite
b) Fruits & Vegetables
c) Rubber

4. The two nations agree that the following goods moving from Seaforth to Paracambi shall be permitted to move tariff free.

a) Automobiles
b) Electronics
c) Refined Chemicals.

5. All products included in Artile 3&4 must comply with local health and safety legislations.

6. Paracambi shall fund the construction of a Vodou Shrine within Seaforth in compliance with local construction laws. Paracambi shall also supply a Vodou Hougon or Mambos for five years until a Seaforthian can be trained.

7. Seaforth and Paracambi agree to maintain active embassies within their nations.

8. King Andrew, or his heir, agree to visit Aluhampton in 2019 to further maintain relationships between the nations and discuss the status to Article 3 & 4.

"Now if this meets your approval I believe our business is done, I am however more than happy to discuss any other articles you wish to include."

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2018, 05:38:01 AM »
"I am well satisfied Emperor Benson. I believe this to be the start of a long and fruitful friendship."

With that, King Andrew had two official copies of the agreement made up and presented to himself and Emperor Benson. Sitting side by side at a ornate oak table the King Andrew signed both agreements and affixed the Royal Seal to them while official photographers commemorated the occasion. When he was finished, King Andrew invited the Emperor to follow suit.