Author Topic: Avengers Assemble - Semi Closed  (Read 3796 times)

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
Avengers Assemble - Semi Closed
« on: October 25, 2018, 10:49:46 PM »
OOC- Several people have been contacted about this via Discord, if however you're interested and feel like you want in please PM me either on Discord or here. Essentially this is a Tim Carpenter mini-project.

It had been a while since Tim had done anything more than cycle back and forth between the flat he rented and the Freestone Aboloitionist Society  office. He'd watched on the news the whole political fall out over the Iwi execution, the reappearance of the Duchess of Marseille and then the whole ending of the civil war in Lakhzovia. Tim sensed problems could lay ahead, mainly because of his past experience as the two time CTO Secretary General and also because Jekar had come and told him some bad shit was going down sooner rather than later. He'd hit upon an idea one night when sat eating a takeaway in front of the television. The CTO and even the CMA could have worked, but the problem was that people high up were too concerned with their ego's and not willing to think outside the box incase their reputation took a dent, Tim meanwhile didn't care what his reputation was like, he figured he could make a difference and so was keen to try and do so. The next day he'd gone on Amazon and ordered several copies of the same DVD, he spent the day writing notes, sticking them in the back cover and posting them back out.

To the person who can make a difference

We've seen conventional diplomacy fail over the years. Nations too concerned with their status on the global stage rather than willing to take the risk and do things that matter. It is with this in mind I'm making myself a Nick Fury, I'm assembling a team of special individuals and you are one. What I'm offering is a chance to make a profound difference on the world but if we do this right no one will ever know. So if you want to be Iron Man, The Hulk, even Thor (I'm looking at your Alanders) then make your way to Freestone and meet me at the Old Recreation Centre in three days time at 9am. Sandwiches will be provided.

TC

As scheduled, three days later Tim wandered down to the Old Recreation Centre, it was now a shell of what it once was, covered in graffiti and some wooden boards over some of the windows. Tim had arrived half an hour early and had set things up, now with a few minutes to kill the old skateboard was out and he was busy reliving his youth riding around the old rails and bumps he had learnt on when he'd been eight years old.

If you want in your character should be someone who at some point meet Tim Carpenter, that's fairly easy as Tim went travelling a lot when younger and was involved in various activist groups. He's in his early 30's now, former Chief Councillor of East Moreland, two time Secretary General of the CTO and has involvement in many projects. Your character should be connected to your government somehow but not actually a direct leader (Minister of Defence = no, Junior Minister of Defence = yes). The concept of this will be an informal diplomatic group made up of people Tim knows from across Mundus.

Offline Lakhzovia

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Lakhzovia
Re: Avengers Assemble - Semi Closed
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 02:33:10 PM »
Ilan Hokh arrived at Freestone Old recreation Centre to find Tim Carpenter skateboarding around the deserted area, he stood and watched for a minute or two entranced at seeing the person he had known only in his professional capacity as Secretary General of the CTO behaving with such apparently frivolity.

Since the dissolution of the CTO Ilan had been at a bit of a loose end. No longer needed as an ambassador but with too much seniority to return to regular diplomatic service President Kadassa had made him a Minister without Portfolio, in reality just an excuse to have him sit in on Presidential Advisory Group meetings and act as an adviser to the President. Ilan felt that this was far more to do with his friendship with Kadassa from their time in the military together in the dying days of the United Peoples' Republic and their subsequent time working in the Lakhzov National Congress.

After having watched Carpenter for a length of time that had started to feel uncomfortably voyeuristic he cleared his throat loudly and began to advance towards the man.

"Mr Carpenter. How good it is to see you again at last. I must say I was surprised when I received your package, but not unpleasantly so."

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 05:09:16 PM »
At times there was nothing quite like a nice easy going drive through the countryside, the quieter the better well until the engine note of the car caused a stir. In truth Saki Ryoko, had never been to Freestone, she'd done the odd visit to East Moreland when required to as part of her job but she'd never been in this particular city before. She could remember the early days of the CTO back in Tim Carpenters first term she'd worked in the Achkaerin CTO offices on the security council side supporting their representative and ensuring liaison work with other parties within the CTO, she'd seen the promise that the CTO had fall apart, principles tossed aside, the unwillingness to act by the majority and the struggle of the few who shared a common goal.

Having parked her car she straightened out her leather jacket and walked through the city to the skate park, she should have expected to find Tim in such a place though quite what he was up to she wasn't sure of, but it was good to see him more like his old self on that skateboard. She leaned against the wall and watched for a few moments as a man she also recognized from the CTO, he'd been the Lakhzovian delegate hadn't he?, approached Tim. After a few more seconds Saki made her move.

"I've got my inline skates in the boot of my car along with a hamper of cakes." Saki said, a little humour to break the ice but then the serious face as she looked at Tim and Hokh "Good afternoon gentlemen."
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 05:51:02 PM by Achkaerin »

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Seaforth
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 05:48:41 PM »

Lt. Col Aidan Pryde was a rising star in the Seaforth Military. As much as Eric Fallstaff was the protégé of Joshua Rhodes, Pryde was a student of Andrew Rhodes....and before him Thorin Crow. From all reports, young Pryde was the future of the Blackwatch. Like a lot of people on Mundus, Pryde had come into contact with Carpenter through the CTO. Specifically it was Pryde that provided many of the briefing when Seaforth had sat on the security council.

Scanning the room, Pryde's eyes took in Ryoko and Hokh before falling on Carpenter. Smiling slightly he gave him the "dude nod", that classic silent upward nod of recognition that men tend to give each other. Remaining quiet, Pryde took up a place on the side, leaning up against a wall and waiting for the show to start.

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Nya Åland/Ui Cenneslaig
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 07:22:25 PM »
Birgit Strand had fond memories of the time she was CTO Secretary General and that she had brought in Tim Carpenter to run the Refugee Council. The two had spent a lot of time in each others offices and had kept in touch during the Uppsala Crisis, she was sad to have seen his slow descent into a breakdown and had wished the CTO had deep down listened to at least the spirit of what Carpenter had tried to do. It was that memory that had allowed her to accept the invitation. Tim might at times be a little oddball but his intents were positive and that was something Birgit wished for the world to follow and so she had packed light, booked to meet a few business people in East Moreland and headed over.

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 11:37:52 PM »
As the first of the group arrived Tim picked up his skateboard and headed over, "Ilan" Tim pronounced, "We're not on official duty and you know I always hated being called Mr.Carpenter, makes me sound like I'm someone in my sixties." he offered a hand, "I'm glad you could make it, especially with so much going on back home." He wandered over to the Recreation Centre and handed Ilan a pin badge bearing the letters GSSOC and handed it over, "You'll need one of these."

No sooner had he welcomed Ilan than Saki arrived, "The cakes we'll have, the skates sadly will have to wait, if we wrap things up quickly I'll take you to the new skate park." Tim offered as he tossed her the same badge. As Pryde arrived he said very little and appart from exchanging nods Tim launched a badge towards him in a gentle under arm throw. Tim waved the Heyran over and once more presented the plain white pin badge with the letters GSSOC in black written on it. Finally it was Birgit who arrived, Tim gave her a hug the two having shared several cups of hot chocolate and plenty of biscuits in the CTO days. Tim made sure everyone had a badge and then pulled open the recreation centre door. In struggled to open but Tim stepped aside letting them enter. Inside it was dark and dingy, a series of camping lights Tim had set up that morning illuminating the inside. There was the sound of someone pottering around, it was Ruth, Tim's former Secretary at the CTO apparently now co-opted into whatever it was Carpenter was now planning. She was in the old kitchen boiling a pan of water on a camping stove and making coffee.

In the centre of the old hall, the floor of which was covered in long forgotten debris which Tim had simply swept into one corner there was a circle of chairs, not the comfy leather kind you'd find in usual diplomatic circles but simple plastic ones you'd find in most classrooms throughout East Moreland. "OK, take a seat gang" Tim motioned and then headed off to collect the coffees which he helped Ruth distribute along with a tray of various biscuits. Tim then took a seat himself and pinned his own badge to his hoody. "GSSOC, Global Sort Shit Out Council" Tim pointed to each letter. "This is going to be the most bizarre diplomatic meeting you've ever been part of and what I'm going to ask of you is probably not going to make you popular if it gets out. So if anyone fancies leaving then finish your coffee and don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out. If your willing to give me twenty minutes of your time we may just one day change Mundus." he dipped his biscuit in the coffee and carefully extracted it ensuring the soggy end didn't drop in his coffee.

"What GSSOC.....we can sort a gang name out later....is intended to do is what I dreamed of one day while coming along here. When I was like eight years old I started coming to this place skating, playing tag rugby, playing guitar and trying to snog Penny Curtis, never achieved that last one. I dreamt of living in an East Moreland that didn't have the Borlanders, that allowed me to get to see the world, meet new and interesting people and drink coffee with them in wrecked building. Seriously though I once wrote" he pulled an old schoolbook out his back pocket and flicked to a page and began to read, "that Mundus should be a place where all nations are best friends and share their sweets." he closed the book and put it away. "I think though that's a dream the big wigs don't want us to achieve. We've had the CTO, me and Birgit even had a go at running the bloody thing and as such its on its arse. It doesn't work because we have nations far too concerned about their image on the global scene and shut down doorways to ideas that could benefit Mundus simply because it doesn't benefit someone who is standing for election, or someone in need of polishing their own propaganda halo. Looking round this room thats an issue none of us have. I want us to be the CTO. I want us to agree here and now that even if our nations are at loggerheads we keep the lines of communication open and that those of us in the room work together to try and get our governments to see sense for the good of all Mundus and not the good of the polls in the next election. I suggest we'll fail 9 times out of 10, but even if we don't get our own way we have the means and influence between us to make a difference. So what I'm proposing then is a backdoor CTO, we meet a few times a year, even if its to just drink coffee and eat biscuits and we sort out the worlds problems the best we can. I know its ambitious but between us we've the ears of some very influential people, I think its worth trying."

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2018, 05:27:15 AM »

Aidan Pryde looked thoughtfully at Carpenter and kicked at some splinters of wood on the floor.

"You know I respect your commitment to your ideals, Tim, but that's enough ambition to choke a badger. How do you expect us to influence our countrymen when basic morals can't even stand up in many of our countries. Helus damn it! Just look at Tamora...look at what an empty promise the MCUR is...and you were Secretary General of the CTO for Helus' sake.

Pryde then turned on Ryoko

"And don't think I've forgotten about your fucking Emperor and the fucking arrogance it took to deny my father's murderer the justice he deserved. It took years for us to get Brook because apparently 28 Achkaerinese are worth more than 6000-odd Seaforthians."

Pryde set his gaze on Carpenter once again.

"If this 'Shadow CTO' is going to work it truly does have to be for the greater good, and that means sometimes going against the leadership of your own country. It's not an easy thing to do, but it's something I have actually done...twice in fact. Operation Red Crown and the Eugenics War. It requires taking a risk on moral grounds, to put everything on the table. I need to know that the rest of you will do that...and I need to hear this one..."

Pryde points a finger at Ryoko.

"...say that she would have done everything in her power to have Pytor Brook turned over to Seaforth when he was requested."

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 08:30:27 PM »
Just remember he's angry about his father Saki thought - truth was Emperor Peter had said he wanted an international trial for Brook so that Achkaerin, Seaforth and Safraen could all hold him accountable at the same time and forego the logistical nightmare and potential problems of a series of trials, East Moreland's Princess Freya had even proposed the framework - something Achkaerin had agreed to but Seaforth hadn't, hence why it hadn't been until following a CTO resolution that the trial had occurred. Still the last thing Saki wanted here was for the meeting to descend into an argument over what was something well in the past, so time to park the party line.

"This event is exactly why the Emperor now has an advisory staff rather than sitting around the table with just the cabinet. We all know politicians have their own concerns beyond their duty and responsibility such as 'how do I win re-election?' simple truth is that the political argument won out. Now I'm not an elected official, so I don't have to worry about such things, but I was in my final university at the time so I wasn't party to the discussion." Saki said, she ran her hands through her hair as she paced around the room "What would I have argued for? What would I have suggested if asked had I been there? I won't say that the Emperor's proposal was unreasonable, but that doesn't mean to say I agree with it. I'd have said extradite him on two conditions first Seaforth guarantee no death penalty as per Achkaerin's standing policy on such matters and second that following trial in Seaforth he brought back to Achkaerin to face charges there."   

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 12:52:07 AM »

Pryde listened stoically as Ryoko made her statement. Ryoko had most of it. except the fact Seaforth DID agree to the international trial...as they knew it would be their only shot at Brook. Now several years after the death of he father, most spent at the sides of Andrew Rhodes and Thorin Crow, he could easily pick out the differences between Saki Ryoko and the Achkaerin official narrative. When the real Ryoko drifted out to the forefront, Pryde found her words rang much more true. When she finished, Pryde held her gaze for a few seconds before almost visibly making up his mind. Nodding once sharply, almost to himself, Pryde turned back to Carpenter.

"I like this one." Said Pryde.

Leaning back against the wall, he shot a wink at Ryoko.

"I'm in."

Offline Lakhzovia

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Lakhzovia
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2018, 01:30:05 PM »
Ilan looked down into his cup of coffee and listened passively two of his fellow guests seemed to bicker before coming to some sort of resolution. He took the opportunity to air his own views on the matter.

"If you had suggested such a thing to me even a year ago I would have called you mad. Now while I'm not entirely sure that is not the case, I at least can agree that the idea has merit.

If my time in CTO has taught me anything then it is that it is little more than a stage on which states engage in theatrical performances to justify actions they intend to do anyway. The whole thing is a mask of legitimacy for the pursuit of national interests.

Real influence, as the recent history of my own nation seems to have demonstrated, comes at the individual level. Personalities, egos and the arrangements of self-interest that can be struck between them are far more the driver of policy than any supposed commitment to 'universal values'.

I suppose that is why I am here. Kadassa is unlikely to be going anywhere, his government will remain in power for the foreseeable future and as such you need access to him, or rather you need someone who knows him well enough to exert pressure without risking his wrath?" he nodded in understanding.

"I suppose it really would just be an extension of the role I hold at present, though I must say that I would not be prepared to act against the greater interests of my country."

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2018, 12:08:09 PM »
Tim was rather pleased that they'd overcome an early stumbling block. "Maybe that then can be one of our first crusades so to speak, getting true justice for that incident" he said addressing the Brook incident. "As for going against the interests of your home nations that's not what I'm asking. Peace is everyone's interests, stability is in everyones interests. What I hope we can create is a scenario where we are the channels of communication that can keep that the situation. Take for example the current situation with my homeland and Rokkenjima, there is no way on Mundus you'd get King David and Empress Beatrice in the same room at the same time, but if we'd had any representative here from Rokkenjima they and me could have been that channel of communication should something have happened. That's all I'm asking."

Offline Rhodes

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2019, 10:20:33 PM »

Tim:

A little bird told me you had a meeting recently. I can fairly imagine what it's about. Eastern Strathcona and Arc-Royal did very well this year, yielding a fair sized surplus in grains and whatnot. With upper management's concern for our brothers and sisters, I'm sure a word or two in the right ears could see a portion of that set sail for distant shores and help solve a part of the problem.

Regards,

Aidan

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Republic of Québec
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2019, 02:54:40 PM »
Guinevere Tinglebottom, representing Krimeon's interests in this assembly of 'Avengers' and whose heritage is partly Morelander, couldn't stop being mesmerised by Tim Carpenter's way of expressing himself in front of others. Unlike others who've met Tim through his work place such as CTO, Tinglebottom came into contact with Carpenter in Krimeon, as he travelled around Mundus in his younger days. What began as a simple gesture of kindness, helping out with the directions by pointing on the city map, developed into fully fledged friendship that would continue into the decade; Through a combination of talent, fate and luck, Tinglebottom landed herself a job within the Krimeonite Royal Court, where she endd up becoming a Deputy Chief of the Prince's Cabinet and Foreign Affairs Advisor, which meant that even if it wasn't the highest position it still gave her quite the influence within the Court and thus considerable advantages. When Tinglebottom received a message from Carpenter about forming a Close network of Contacts in order to maintain World order and Peace, she didn't hesitate at all to head up North to this community centre.

"Count me in as well, though I would suggest we embark on a 'beer round' instead of bisquits and tea, just to make everyone much more comfortable." she remarked jokingly, remembering when Tim and her had fun times back in Krimeon, bar hopping from one establishment to Another, which lended itself a legal problem here and there though that was another story for a different occasion.