Author Topic: The Great Alucard Garbage Patch Conference (GAGP Conference)  (Read 4727 times)

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Agira Latina
The Great Alucard Garbage Patch Conference (GAGP Conference)
« on: November 20, 2018, 10:07:16 AM »
An invitation to Dartfordia, Isle of Zib, Paracambi, Nya Land, Lodja, Arda Tuluva, Muneski, Cabbagelandiet, Pardelinnia, Pretoria and Ui Cenneslaig.

Over the last few years it has been estimated that around 5 trillion pieces of plastic litter our oceans and this has seen the creation of the Alucard garbage patch, a vast area where there is a high concentration of waste that is causing untold environmental concern. Along with taking measures to cut down the amounts of plastic we use in our everday lives it is important we also look to remove as much of this plastic detritus as possible. With this in mind I have been asked by the Duchess of Wellow and our nations Lead Sword to invite you to her home in order to come to some kind of unified plan about how we approach this environmental disaster in our backyard. Together we can make the Alucard a much better place.

May The Gods Watch Over You and The Oceans Know Peace

Grand Duke Hugo Lascelles.

Offline Major Jaws

• World Power
  • Hallo, Ich bin eine Filipino.
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Quintelia, Socram and Sarandib
Re: The Great Alucard Garbage Patch Conference (GAGP Conference)
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 02:40:29 PM »
OOC: Zib currently is a primitive island so I don't think they'll be coming. Also, can Socram and Sarndib come?
Also, it's Pardclinnia, not Pardelinnia

Letter from the Presidential Palace

To Grand Duke Hugo Lascelles,

Pollution is something that everyone should be concerned about, as it would lead to a future of guilt, or no future at all. I am no expert on such subjects, so I'll be having the Secretary of Environment and Natural Resources, Julio Dantes. He shall be able to hold conversations about such topics better than I would. I hope that these talks would amount to something that would unite our people to achieve the goal of having a future for the next generations to come.

Signed,

President Dominic Colbert

Offline Paracambi

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Paracambi
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 10:23:10 AM »
To:- Grand Duke Lascelles

Our nation shares your concern and as such I will be delighted to send a representative. Sadly I am currently in the Illumic on business but will dispatch one of the Princes or Princesses to represent our nation.

Together it is my hope you will find a solution to this and the Alucard can become a role model for other ocean areas.

Best Regards

Emperor Benson.
Emperor of Paracambi
Head Hougon of the Vodou Faith

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Nya Åland/Ui Cenneslaig
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 11:35:32 AM »
To:- Grand Duke Hugo Lascelles

The people of our homeland rely on the ocean for a great deal of our resources, as such seeing plastic floating around in it causes us major concern. As such I will be delighted to send representatives to tackle this growing environmental issue and I wish the delegates the blessings of Odin in finding a solution to the problem.

Stein Ulfsson,
Head Gothi

To:- Grand Duke Lascelles.

While the majority of Alucard nations sit on east of the Alucard I can reassure you that those of us in the East take the problem equally as seriously. I will therefore be sending one of our nations Ministers to represent us in this conference and look forward to hearing of your progress.

King Finley of Ui Cenneslaig.

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 10:39:22 AM »
For the Duchy of Wellow it was something of a coup, an international conference to be held on their island. While the people of the island viewed themselves as proudly Bakkermayans they were equally as proud of calling themselves Wellowites. It was this semi-nationalistic approach that had lead to Duchess Anna Davidson pushing for her Grand Duke, Hugo Lascelles, to let her island host the event rather than the mainland capital of Edwinstowe. The Duchess had prepared herself to be an active participant in the conference too, Hugo would give the official welcome but it would be Anna who would prepare the first real content of the talk. It was with this in mind that she'd had her beachfront property in the little former fishing town of Medan set up. It had a low white washed stone wall and sprawling grounds which contained a variety of lush gardens, open a gate in an arch in the hedgerow and you were on the beach. She loved coming her when she'd been a girl and the way that the two places contrasted, the lush cool grass of the family home and then the red hot sand that lay beyond. If you timed it right you could literally spring the gate open and sprint the twenty meters to the cool water and your feet didn't feel the burn.

Two smartly dressed members of the Wellow militia stood at the estate gate. It was an old ceremonial role, nothing major but a way of honouring the ex-members of the nations military who had come from Wellow. Fifty veterans were given the role of being the militia and while not a force designed for fighting off invaders they had a largely ceremonial role.

The two nobles stood ready to greet the guests, Hugo in a smart pin stripe suit while his Lead Sword, another throwback to ancient times, stood to his right a polished silver breastplate above a dark green military uniform, Anna felt she was baking a little in it especially as it was the first time she'd worn it in public but her pride in the position meant she wasn't about to complain. The pair stood casually chatting waiting for the first person to arrive, Anna snapping to some kind of attention as the first vehicle came down the shady lane made from trimming the tropical foliage into a kind of tunnel. As the car stopped it was one of the militia men who opened the door, Anna used her sword to salute while Hugo beamed broadly. "Welcome to Bakkermaya, and welcome to Wellow." he extended his hand.

Offline Libby

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Lodja/Kaitaine
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 10:23:18 PM »
Roman Chownyk was not pleased, "I tell you Maxim this is a fucking insult. A conference on floating garbage." he cursed once more. He had been married to the former Queen of Lodja, Viktoriya Tar, which meant that he was now expected to act as an envoy for the new Queen. He didn't mind that as it still made him politically relevant and in Lodja that meant power, however in his mind he should be sat at the twice weekly Conclave meetings or hosting lunches and banquets with visiting dignatries. "I'm a fucking Baron" he added for yet another gripe.

"And I'm a Duke" Maxim Schnoor the nations Home Affairs Minister added rather calmly they'd been on about this for an hour now, or rather Roman had and Maxim just nodded. He wasn't really a big supporter of the former Queen's marriage to this man but he'd been on the losing side of the vote in the Conclave. "But Her Divine Majesty in her wisdom has seen fit to follow a more environmentally friendly policy and so its our duty to do our bit." Maxim said matter of factly.

"Hmm" Roman wasn't really convinced but he'd do his duty, it was one way to maintain his prestige and if he played his cards right potentially find a seat on the Conclave in his own right. Roman was pretty impressed with the island that he'd seen it was certainly beautiful. "At least they have an appropriate welcome" Roman observed as he saw the ceremonial military salute. "And the lady in the tin can is rather easy on the eye." he smiled and nodded politely to the salute before haking Lascelles hand. "Grand Duke, a beautiful island you have here. Duchess Anna" he said remembering the name of the armoured lady, "You're home is as nearly as pretty as you are" he smiled. "May I introduce Duke Maxim Schnoor, one of our nations Ministers. We look forward to getting this blue ocean of ours even cleaner."

Offline Paracambi

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2018, 10:50:53 AM »
The Emperor had dispatched Stephen Maxwell, his Minister for the Environment for the conference. His nation had an affinity with the sea and it was a big complaint of his people's fishing fleet that the amount of plastic coming up in their nets, it was also washing up on their beaches and now that tourism was beginning to boom in the islands they were becoming more and more valuable to his people. He noticed the similiarties between the island of Wellow and Castries and couldn't help but laugh at the soldiers in the breastplates, they looked like they were slowly roasting. The Army back home even went as far as wearing tailored shorts as part of their uniform because of the heat. "Grand Duke Lascelles" Maxwell shook his hand, "A great pleasure to meet you, and thank you for this opportunity." he gave a small bow to Duchess Anna before introducing himself to the Lodjains who he only vaguely recognised.

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2018, 09:40:19 PM »
Donald Kilduff, the Cenneg Minister for the Environment, had arrived but then got caught up sight seeing around the city. It was a lovely sunny day compared to the grey clouds back home in Claith and he intended to enjoy it, but sadly lost track of the hour and so arrived rather later than he had planned. The Conference was already well attended from those on the west side of the Alucard but he was the first really from the east. He introduced himself and expected himself to be the last to arrive but the sound of an approaching car signified at least one more person was arriving.

Andreas Lång was representing the Ålanders, he was a young Minister, the youngest in the Åland cabinet at just 30 years of age but he was a seasoned conference attendee having been a young engineer at the Joint Nordic Space Programme before joining the world of politics. He was now the Minister of Science and his expertise with the JNSP on mapping the oceans could be rather useful. "Good Monring" he extended a hand to Lascelles, then Davidson and then the others in turn.

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2018, 09:55:21 PM »
Hugo and Anna greeted each, pleased that at least the TUNA nations had arrived. The group made their way out onto the patio of the house and each took a seat. "Now I'd like to officially welcome each of you to Bakkermaya and to thank Duchess Anna for making Wellow avaliable for us to use as our venue. This is a conference that while my name is on the invite it was Anna who largely set the ball in motion. I'm from the mainland province and as such the matters of the oceans are not a daily concern as they often are for those of you who live in the middle of the Alucard. I am however well aware of the issues that this conference seek to tackle. As such I think it best if I turn things over to Anna to once more get the ball rolling."

Anna had been busying herself removing the ceremonial breastplate and was now sat in just the dress uniform that came along with being Lead Sword of Bakkermaya. As Hugo began to speak she gave a discreet nod to some of her staff who disappeared off towards the house. Anna began to speak, "The Alucard is an ocean we call home in one way or another and is a vital part of many of our economies. Its home to many unique species and as such if we do not begin taking better care of it then it is a resource that will be lost to us." As on cue the staff reappared carrying plastic bags which they placed in the centre of the table spilling the contents everywhere. "As we talk today about what we hope to achieve I hope you'll remember this. All this plastic you see before you came from the stomach of a beached sperm whale that washed up on Wellow a week ago." There was a rather unpleasant ouder in the air. "The whale's stomach was found to contain 115 plastic cups, four plastic bottles, 25 plastic bags, two flip-flops, a nylon sack and more than 1,000 other assorted pieces of plastic. All of which you can now see before you. I'm sure we all agree they have no purpose being inside a whale. This is just a small part of what exists floating around out there in the Alucard. Now it is my hope that we can start to tidy this up. This is however only the beginning of the proposals. Now I'd like you all to listen to this gentleman, let me introduce Adrian Martinson."

A man who looked in his early 30's stood up and placed a notepad in front of him. "Hello, I'm Adrian, I have spent the last few years working on this concept that I hope you will support. We plan to build a fleet of floating plastic concentrators, each will be 600 meters long and feature solar panels which will power a series of bouys on the device. Each bouy will have an anti-collison light and a satellite transponder allowing them to be tracked. It will float along moved by a combination of the waves, wind and currents. As it moves naturally it will follow a similar pattern through the Alucard as the plastic however as the plastic is only moved by the current generally the catcher will move faster. Suspended beneath the catcher is a 3 meter deep skirt which will help move much of the less bouyant plastic which sits below the surface, it will however also create a downcurrent which will ensure marine life can escape under. The movement of the ocean will create a natural U shape to the catcher and cameras and monitors attached to it will allow us to monitor its progress. Once the catcher has concentrated a vast array of plastic we move a ship in, scoop up the plastic that has accumulated and then move it to shore to be recycled. It's a simple idea but estimates are that we could remove 50% of the plastic in the ocean within 5 years. What we need however is more than the prototype and that means money. For this to work we'd ideally need ten of these dotted around the Alucard in different starting points. Each one will cost in the region of $10million to build and deploy, we ideally also need a further $10 million to build a monitoring facility and provide a ship to extract the gathered plastic. We would also require nations willing and able to process the recovered plastic. In total we are looking at some $110million to get this project started. However globally this plastic issue is thought to cost in terms of damaged shipping, damage to marine life, tourism etc around $13billion annually. What I present therefore is a bargain. I'd be happy to answer any questions or comments."

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2018, 10:26:40 AM »
Andreas Lång admitted that the demonstration made an important point and was sure that it was something his people would support, after all they still saw limited whaling and as such were only too aware of the plastic issue. "I think this is a project that is worthwhile perseuing and I think I may even be able to help get the effectiveness increased at no extra cost. The JNSP is one of the most forward thinking space programmes on Mundus, I think with some software tweaks and some joint development we can make the tracking of these patches and your concept even more effective. With that in mind we have five nations sat around this table and a project your valuing at $110million. Now if we imagine that as any project does they'll be overruns and unforeseen problems we call it a round $200million. Can each of us around this table find through either private or public funds $40million?" He thought about his own department budget for a moment, "I will here and now commit a minimum of $20million to the project from my own department, and I suspect I'll get another $20million from either other departments or investors. I think this is a project we can't afford not to do." 

Offline Paracambi

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2018, 09:47:02 PM »
Stephen Maxwell was only too aware of the plastic problem as his brother ran a small fishing company off one of the islands that made up Bakkermaya. His brother was a few years older than Stephen and as a young University student he'd often spent the odd day in the summer working for him. Even though that was twenty years ago there had even then been plastic in the nets. "I can say here and now I'd be happy to commit to $40million. Our tourist industry needs crystal blue waters, the coral to be in a good state and our fishing industry don't want to be spending vast sums on new nets. I think $40million to set this up is a good idea, however I'd like to make a suggestion to Mr. Martinson. In return for this rather significant funding for your concept I'd like to suggest that we establish the Alucard Ocean Holding Group (AOHG) and that in return for the money we get 15% of the shares in the company while you get the rest. If this works on the Alucard I suspect other nations will be interested and therefore we can maintain the funding of the Alucard clean up."

Offline Major Jaws

• World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2018, 05:03:43 AM »
Julio, a satunch environmentalist, has been trying to get the president's and the public's attention on pollution. However, installing a few filters to the most compliant factoies in Sopranum and twenty reforestation projects, of which only six are remotely successful, will not change Pardclinnia, much less the world. The conference can raise his nation's concerns alongside that of the Alucard nations.

When the half-digested plastic was presented in front of him, he cringed at the pungent smell radiating from the table. It was excessive, but it did show the message across. Julio remained quiet, listening to the points made by the Alander and the Bakkermayan. He silently agreed with their suggestions, however he was taken aback when the cost was announced. "I'm sorry, but my department does not receive that big of a budget for the year. I would back out, unless if one or more of you will be willing to cover my expense on that project. "

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2018, 10:17:43 PM »
Donald Kilduff, the Cenneg Minister spoke up. "I'd be willing to put forward our own $40million, I'd also be willing to round it off to $50million taking up part of the slack of Pardclinnia's lack of funding, however I suggest that the differing levels of financial commitment should be reflected in the share ownership of AOHG. If we're putting more in I would want Ui Cenneslaig to have a greater share of the shares the nations are in charge of." He figured if each put in an extra $10million they should be able to cover the matter.

Offline Libby

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2018, 10:05:59 PM »
Roman wasn't particularly interested in what was being talked about but he had to admit the pile of plastic was a good way of making a point. He knew however how important it was to get in the good books of the Queen and that environmental projects were a particular favourite of hers. "I have a proposal regarding the lacking $30million." he began, "My colleague Maxim here is able to approve the $40million from Lodja, I will underwrite the missing $30million on one condition, I wish the $30million worth of the shares to be placed under the ownership of Queen Klara of Lodja directly." To Roman the money was easier enough to find from his various businesses and estates but he figured the gesture would put his family back in the good books of the royal family he was once part of. "I believe that now means we have the $200million. Now that means AOHG would own 15% in total of the project. That means as it stands Lodja, Paracambi, Nya Aland and Bakkermaya will each own 2.4% of the project, Ui Cenneslaig 20% and Queen Klara 1.88%. I believe that's what we agreed?"

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2018, 07:37:31 PM »
"Excellent" Anna said relieved that the project now had a green light. "Therefore if we have this project confirmed I'd like to propose the Environmental Treaty of Wellow. It is my hope that we can form it here today and that then maybe other nations across Mundus can sign up to it." Anna placed a document on the table.

Quote from: ETW

Recognizing that Mundus is currently dependent on non-renewable resources

Understanding that a time will come in the future when these resources are depleted

Convinced that climate change is a man-made phenomenon

Concerned that levels of pollution of all kinds are raising

The signatory nations of this agreement agree to do all that is within their powers to fulfil the following aims.

1. Limit global temperature increases to within 2.0C (3.6F) of those recorded during the 19th Century.

2. Limit the amount of greenhouse gases emitted by human activity to the same levels that trees, soil and oceans can absorb naturally by 2070.

3. Remove 75% of plastic packaging by 2025.

4. Remove all fossil fuelled road vehicles by 2030

5. Reduce pollution caused by air travel by 35% by 2030.

6. Create 3million square km of new forests by 2040.

7. Remove at least 40% of plastic from the oceans by 2040.

8. Nations with a GDP per capita of $40,000 or more to produce at least 70% of their electricity from non-fossil fuel sources by 2050. Nations with a GDP per capita lower than $40,000 to aim for 50% by 2060.

9. Reduce pollution caused by public transport to zero by 2040.

10. The amount of green spaces within urban areas to increase 10% by 2030.

11. Reduce food waste by 50% by 2040.

12. All students to receive education on how to better protect the environment by 2021.

13. Halt or reverse the trend of ocean acidification by 2030.

14. For each nation to have 10% of their Exclusive Economic Zone as defined by the FSC protected as marine reserve by 2050.

In order to help nations achieve these aims the following shall be established

I - An Environmental Bank . It is expected but not compulsory for signatory nations to make an annual donation to this bank. The Environmental Bank may also accept funds from philanthropic contributors of all kinds.

a)This Bank shall be overseen by a committee made up of one representative of each nation.
b)Any nation, including non-signatories, may approach the Bank for an interest free loan to fund any project designed at meeting the aims of this treaty.
c) The committee shall vote on whether to approve the funding and a simple majority shall be needed to release the funds.
d) Nations receiving funding are required to present regular reports on the progress of funded projects.

II- The Environmental Review Conference - All signatory nations to meet every two years to review each nations progress towards these aims and share research. This conference shall be open to all non-signatory nations. Furthermore targets may be adjusted by a majority vote dependent on new research.

III - The Wellow Environmental Institute - An institute made up of members of all signatory nations who shall undertake research projects on behalf of the members. It shall have a seat at the Conference and act independently of national control. It shall be free to make any recommendations that it wishes. It shall also spread best practice between all nations.

IV - The Technology Exchange - This programme shall accept donations of equipment and repurpose it to other nations in need. This shall allow poorer nations to access significant support in improving some of their systems.

This treaty shall come into force 30days from signing.

"Bakkermaya are already committed to each of these targets and the Grand Duke has authorized me to sign if others are willing to join us."

Offline Libby

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2018, 07:42:07 PM »
Roman looked at the document, one positive was that nothing was legally binding and another was that Queen Klara had largely committed to some of the things already. "I can provisionally say we agree to this, but the Queen could well veto my decision however knowing some of her policies go further than this I suspect she'll approve it. For example Article 3 she has set Lodja the target to be plastic free by 2030, ambitious yes but a worthy crusade. I therefore would be happy to sign this. The Alucard nations leading the way for sure." he smiled.

Offline CGJ

• Vice Chancellor
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Dartfordia
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2018, 08:30:39 PM »
Jonathan Lankly, the Dartfordian Foreign Secretary, who had totally been in the room from the start, had shared similar concerns as Roman. "Our predecessors passed the Environment and Climate Change Act 2015, which was ambitious in the powers it gives the government and the targets it sets. We have already introduced a levy on plastic bags and straws. We currently have a Green investment Bank, so would be willing to support the Environmental Bank. We would therefore be happy to sign this treaty."
The Most Honourable Marquess CGJ
Vice Chancellor

Dartfordia: TIOwiki - Politics - Flags - Armed Forces

Offline Major Jaws

• World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2018, 04:49:52 PM »
Julio carefully read the document as to not miss out on any details,then he signed the document. "Hopefully, this is something that the government consider, especially with neighboring nations doing the same. As for the environmental bank, I'll personally donate my money, knowing that my department will be more likely underfunded."

Offline Paracambi

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2018, 05:28:23 PM »
"As the others have stated I believe this is something we can take part in fully."  Stephen Maxwell the Emperors voice at the conference stated.

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2018, 07:11:56 PM »
Donald Kilduff, the Cenneg Minister spoke up. "I believe like the others this is something King Finley will support and so will provisionally put my signature to it on behalf of Ui Cenneslaig." Moments later Andreas Lång of the Ålander delegation signalled likewise.

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2018, 07:42:55 PM »
Anna was delighted this treaty, even if it only remained the Alucard nations would ensure the name Wellow became internationally known in connection with Mundus first environmental treaty. She passed the document around getting all the names provisionally signed before adding her own and taking a seat. " I must say this has been highly productive, now unless anyone has any other matters or issues they wish to discuss I think our business is done?"