Author Topic: Religion in Paracambi OOC  (Read 1528 times)

Offline Paracambi

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Paracambi
Religion in Paracambi OOC
« on: December 05, 2019, 09:38:14 PM »
I'm trying to build up some of the history of Paracambi and as far as I can tell I'm the only nation that has the Vodou faith and the Rastafarian faith as major parts of my nation. As such I was hoping that I could do the following.

1) Claim that one of the islands of Paracambi is the birth place for the Vodou faith. As such that the Emperor of Paracambi is also the head of the Vodou faith, essentially a Vodou Pope.

2) That the island of Castries was the birth place of the Rastafarian faith. Freed slaves from the Seleucid slave trade were given a fresh start here but Christian missionaries from somewhere tried converting them. Meanwhile with the Seleucid still occupying parts of Northern Ardia (Iwi) an Emperor of Paracambi began to conduct a new wave of anti-slave raids and began helping Zimalians move to what he saw as their ancestral home. He was hailed as the "Black Messiah" He however was only Emperor a short time as a coup by the traditional Vodou members of the Empire saw him deposed and crucified. As such the 1930's and 1940's saw the Paracambian Rasta's persecuted until new rules came about thanks to a more liberal Emperor. As such Paracambi is the Rastafarian homeland.

If anyone has any suggestions about this or objections to me claiming these as canon history please let me know. Last thing I want to do is screw up someone elses nation.

Offline Tytor

• Regional Power
  • All the world's a stage...
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Tytor
Re: Religion in Paracambi OOC
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2019, 12:28:03 AM »
I'm not an expert on either Vodou or Rastafarianism, but I don't see how that would be a problem.  Now, I am intrigued by your mention of "Christian missionaries from somewhere" trying to convert people.  If you're interested, I would be happy to suggest either the Church of Tytor or the Tytorian Reformed Church for the source of those missionaries.  If it matters to you, they're essentially Anglicans and Calvinists, respectively.
His Majesty Michael the First, by the Grace of God, King of Tytor and her Colonies, and Lord Protector of Floodwater

Factbook -- News -- Press Office

Former Governor-General of The Infinite Alliance
Former Ambassador to Albion and the Global Right Alliance
Former Vice Premier and Speaker of the Senate of the Independent Order
Professional Procrastinator

Non-partisan and proud of it

"A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Samantra
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2019, 04:19:55 PM »
No objections here.

Offline Paracambi

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Paracambi
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2019, 09:39:52 PM »
Tytor - I don't think the denomination of the Christians is that important so more than happy to have them be from Tytor, whichever branch suits you.

I've kind of become an "expert" in Vodou and Rastafari as I've become a little fascinated about the truth behind them rather than what I think is the more stereotypical view. So I'm looking forward to having this small time Vodou faith start its own Vatican style element.

Offline Tytor

• Regional Power
  • All the world's a stage...
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Tytor
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2019, 10:57:51 PM »
Let's go with the Church of Tytor, then.  Looking at Rastafari's Wikipedia page, that would be more closely aligned with their real-world history anyway.
His Majesty Michael the First, by the Grace of God, King of Tytor and her Colonies, and Lord Protector of Floodwater

Factbook -- News -- Press Office

Former Governor-General of The Infinite Alliance
Former Ambassador to Albion and the Global Right Alliance
Former Vice Premier and Speaker of the Senate of the Independent Order
Professional Procrastinator

Non-partisan and proud of it

"A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire