Author Topic: TUNA Debate 0001 - The Gungnir Issue  (Read 2561 times)

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Agira Latina
TUNA Debate 0001 - The Gungnir Issue
« on: April 01, 2020, 06:03:22 PM »
RECOGNISING that the Gungnir present a real threat not just to Nya Aland but also to the wider region and even Mundus.

CONCERNED about the nature of the threat being presented

DETERMINED to halt the current disruption caused by the Gungnir

We, the membership of TUNA shall carry out the following.

1) In accordance with Article 4[1] of the TUNA Charter all nations shall hand over the Nya Aland information relating to the current situation.

2) In accordance with Article 4 Nya Aland are to make available to all member nations information relating to the recent satellite blackouts.

3) TUNA shall form a "Satellite Security Task Force" aimed at ensuring the future stability of satellite communications in the region.

4) TUNA shall explore a contingency plan for regional communications should the blackouts continue or worsen.

5) Member nations shall, if appropriate, place military assets on standby to aid in the ending of the current situation.

6) Following an ending of this threat TUNA nations shall examine the need/possibility of an Albion based satellite network for communication.

1. 4. Signatory nations shall share information regarding criminal and terrorist activity so long as the sharing of that information does not endanger the nations national security.

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Nya Åland/Ui Cenneslaig
Re: TUNA Debate 0001 - The Gungnir Issue
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 11:44:41 PM »
OOC - I'm assuming this is being done by video conference like we discussed at the conference to expand things.

Martja Larsson, the Nya Åland Minister of Defence was naturally the first to reply. "As it stands there are a few issues with the proposal put forward. If I can I'll go through them one at a time. First, we have a problem with the idea of the Satellite Security Task Force. Many of the satellites in orbit around Mundus are sensitive military ones, I think therefore we should make this about civilian communications, sadly each nation must be responsible for the security of their own military assets however the Joint Nordic Space Programme is willing to help should any nation request it. A fail safe backup system is something however we would support and I think we should be able to do so pretty simply with ourselves and the Cenneg around the table. At present I do not envisage a situation where foreign military assets will be needed on Nya Åland soil, what we however would appreciate and perhaps require is each nation be prepared to carry out operations in their own nation should we find this not to be based in Nya Åland at the source. Finally I don't think we perhaps need to put into orbit a brand new satellite system for communications I think we have enough assets between us to be able to cobble together one based on what we already have up there." With that the Ålander finished there was a pause for a few seconds.

Next to speak was the Cenneg Minister of Defence, Charles O'Greedy. "I believe that perhaps we will need to have military assets on stand by. We've had the Rokkenjiman's make comments about "utilising" their own tools. Whatever that means. We've seen under the previous Empress that Rokkenjima's first reaction to a crisis is sending aircraft carriers to a region. It appears that policy is one we can not rule out the new one doing. As such I think we may need to look at ways of ensuring that this organisation is free to pursue what we are planning here. My second issue is I think a new satellite communications network would be a good idea. Many of our nations systems will probably be 20 years old, things have changed dramatically in that time and the processing power of these old systems means they can easily be overwhelmed. I think we could perhaps explore the possibility of putting state of the art systems in place. We certainly have the capability between the members sat here. My last comment is a question to Miss Larsson, I've heard SmartWar are involved in the investigation, may we know what their role is?"

The screen went back to Martja, "We have a long standing partnership with the Morelanders, as I think many of us do. We believe this is a unique threat by a terrorist group, however SmartWar have a track record of coming up with things to help solve terrorist issues and are rather unique thinkers. They are going to look at the same data we have given you regarding the black outs and we shall see what they can come up with, essentially seeing if they could work out how its done and then that could help us find where its being done."

Offline Libby

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Lodja/Kaitaine
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 12:37:44 PM »
The former General, Lubos Kubik, was speaking on behalf of Lodja in his role as Minister of Defence. " I agree to the readying of military assets for whatever course the situation may take. It is after all better to be prepared for something that may never happen. At present apart from the information regarding the blackouts to our fishing ships in the area we have little that will be of use but we are more than happy to make that avaliable to the organisation's membership. As for a future satellite system that is more secure we would be open to exploring those possibilities and with the Alanders and Cenneg here I think we have the best possible way of doing this. We therefore fully support this resolution."

Offline Paracambi

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Paracambi
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 08:55:05 AM »
Benson spoke next. "I think we broadly agree with what is put here except that 3 and 4 should contain wording to not tie nations to the proposal if not financially viable. Not all TUNA nations have the same amount in their bank accounts and as such we should not seek to place any unexpected financial commitment on nations before knowing the full extent to what it could mean for them. As for Article 6 I think it should be removed as it is not about this current crisis however I do think it is perhaps something worth visiting once we have our satellite systems back in hand."

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 06:48:33 PM »
"Based on what has been said so far then I can I put forward this amended version."

RECOGNISING that the Gungnir present a real threat not just to Nya Aland but also to the wider region and even Mundus.

1) In accordance with Article 4[1] of the TUNA Charter all nations shall hand over the Nya Aland information relating to the current situation.

2) In accordance with Article 4 Nya Aland are to make available to all member nations information relating to the recent satellite blackouts.

3) TUNA shall form a "Satellite Security Task Force" aimed at ensuring the future stability of satellite communications in the region.

4) TUNA shall explore a contingency plan for regional communications should the blackouts continue or worsen.

5) Member nations shall, if appropriate, place military assets on standby to respond to any situations arising from the current crisis at the guidance of the nation in which the event is happening..

6) Following an ending of this threat TUNA nations shall convene to discuss the long term security and utility of TUNA nations satellite networks.
 1. 4. Signatory nations shall share information regarding criminal and terrorist activity so long as the sharing of that information does not endanger the nations national security.

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 09:21:30 PM »
Nya Aland and Ui Cenneslaig both approve of this.

Offline Paracambi

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Paracambi
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2020, 10:25:50 PM »
Paracambi approves

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2020, 04:51:08 PM »
It would seem most people have reached an opinion therefore this is at vote

5) Member nations shall, if appropriate, place military assets on standby to respond to any situations arising from the current crisis at the guidance of the nation in which the event is happening..

6) Following an ending of this threat TUNA nations shall convene to discuss the long term security and utility of TUNA nations satellite networks.
 1.    4. Signatory nations shall share information regarding criminal and terrorist activity so long as the sharing of that information does not endanger the nations national security.

It requires 4 yes votes to pass. Bakkermaya votes yes.

Offline KrisNord

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2020, 05:20:11 PM »
NA and UC vote yes.

Offline Libby

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Lodja/Kaitaine
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2020, 11:08:18 PM »
Lodja says yes. That makes 4 votes. It's passed.