Roleplay > International News Networks

The Sandworm Daily (Theocracy Free Press)

(1/3) > >>

Libby:

MCNEILL LEADS HONOURS LIST
Today the head of the Bene Gesserit Sisterhood as released a list of names of individuals who are to be honoured for their role in what the spiritual leader has called "the liberation of not just a people but a faith." The first name on the list is one that will come as no surprise to members of the Bene Gesserit faith inside the Theocracy of Kaitaine however will perhaps need some introduction to those unfamiliar with the faith.

Joanna McNeill was the self titled, "General" of the Truthsayers in Seitch and masterminded the forces fighting in Kaitaine on behalf of the Bene Gesserit Sisterhood. This however has created a rather strange scenario as with McNeill having been born in Seitch and having never attended a Chapterhouse school she officially does not hold the title of a Truthsayer despite having been involved with the movement since 1993. The situation was explained by Chief Instructor of Truthsayers, Krystina Garner, "By the letter of the law and tradition a Truthsayer is someone who recieved their Jeboah beret from a Chapterhouse Head Mistress. That means the Truthsayers have always been seen as those graduating from Ui Cenneslaig, Achkaerin, Cantabria and Aosta, but while those like me who had a Chapterhouse education are I suppose baptised in ink Joanna and those like her have been baptised in blood and fire and for me are more worthy of the title Truthsayer than people such as me. I would gladly give my own beret to her than hold the name Truthsayer while she does not." It is estimated that around 2,500 women are in a similar position to McNeill with some experts putting the number ten times higher. It was therefore no surprise that McNeill was the first person to be honoured by the Reverend Mother who issued the following citation to McNeill

--- Quote from: Citation ---Be it known that Joanna McNeill is a Truthsayer of the Bene Gesserit Sisterhood. I further confer upon her the rank of Marshall of Truthsayers making her the first among the Truthsayers numbers. Under her skilled and determined leadership the Truthsayers from around the world united into an effective unit and alongside their male comrades, the Pangolins, carried the Theocracy into the world. Furthermore it will be forever the case that annually the top graduating Truthsayer will be awarded the McNeill Trophy ensuring her legacy continues for all time.
--- End quote ---

It was also announced that the Reverend Mother that upon arriving in the Theocracy McNeill would be the first to be presented to her. The 46 year old said she was "excited to welcome the Reverened Mother and Holy Houses into my home city where they belong."

The next person to be awarded was 25 year old Kirstin Skeates. The 25 year old once represented Soviet Kaitaine in the Mundus Games while living undercover as a Truthsayer under similar circumstances as McNeill. The former competition archer was responsible for several solo trips across the desert near Seitch as a courier. It was confirmed that it was Skeates who first brought word of the Seige of Seitch as well as guiding forces back across the desert. At present she is assigned to a unit in Geidi where she is said to be looking forward for a chance to represent her "real Homeland" in the Mundus Games. Her citation is as follows.

--- Quote from: Skeates Citiation ---Be it known that Kirstin Skeates is a Truthsayer of the Bene Gesserit Sisterhood. I also confer upon her the rank of Captain in the Truthsayers with all the rights and responsibilities associated with the rank. From this day forward Captain Skeates is to carry the title "Guide of the Sands" and is allocated an annual allocation of Melange sufficent to her rank.
--- End quote ---

Perhaps however one of the most controversial names on the list is that of the third person to be honoured by the Reverened Mother, Nathanial Corrino. "The Missing Corrino" vanished from public gaze in 2003 at the age of 17 with the wealthy Cenneg family then going by the name O'Hogan. The family always stated that he had "wished to be a private individual". It has however been confirmed that using a false identity he attended University in East Moreland with the sole purpose of gaining military experience somewhere he would not be recognised. Taking the names James Gillespie he became an officer in the East Moreland Royal Engineers and in 2014 entering the elite unit known as Red Legion where he served in several operations across the globe including wars in Meche, Marseille and Seaforth. He was honoured for bravery on two occasions but fled following the attempt to capture nuclear waste in 2018. It had been confirmed he did not play a role in the attempted theft but potentially may have allowed some members of the Bene Gesserit to escape. Nathanial Corrino lead the incursion by the Truthsayers into Kaitaine and is said to have been a mastermind behind many campaigns.

--- Quote from: Nathanial Corrino Citation ---
Be it known that Nathanial Corrino is to be counted among the Fedaykin[1]. Furthermore from this day forward he is to carry the title Duke of Blades which shall pass through his line for all time. His family shall be allocated an annual allocation of Melange in accordance with their rank and titles 1. historic title granted to men who have served the faith in war bravely
--- End quote ---

Despite Nathanial Corrino being accused of several crimes from East Moreland, including desertion for which they have the death penalty, the Reverend Mother stated, "The Corrino line has always been important to our people, Duke Nathanial has furthered its glory and will be a central part of our people moving forward. His duty to the Theocracy is far from over." It is unknown what position he will take within the new nation or how this may impact situations with others across Mundus.

Libby:

REVEREND MOTHER ARRIVES IN CHISTOPOL
Crowds gathered at the Bene Gesserit Library in Tartu as the leader of the Bene Gesserit faith, and new Head of State for the Theocracy of Kaitaine, Erin McGregor arrived prior to entering the Theocracy of Kaitaine tomorrow. The 22 year old flew in from Claith which had been until now the centre of the Bene Gesserit leadership. It is expected that over the next few days several of the leading figures in the faith will begin their relocation to the Theocracy. The Reverend Mother spent the day touring the library and speaking with the staff who work there from the Missionara Protectiva. The Reverend Mother also lead a meditation for several hundred guests before distributing Melange.

Around 14million Bene Gesserit live in Chistopol and many have already expressed an interest in moving to the Theocracy however there are already reports that the border is seeing long queues as people try and leave Chistopol heading for the Theocracy. The Reverend Mother spoke of the issue during her visit saying. "While I fully understand the desire of the faithful to reach the Holy-Land. The problem is we can not fulfil that dream for everyone. While some faiths such as Rosari, the Cult of Helus and Manism we find those faiths largely concentrated in certain areas of the world however we as the Bene Gesserit were forced to be different. We exist across all of Mundus, our faith teaches us all faiths belong to us anyway, so to many of us even Jerusalem is a Holy Land. What we must do is be present across the world, therefore by staying put many of those currently trying to reach the Theocracy are already doing a great duty to the faith. Stay where you are, share the faith with your neighbours, be a force for good in your community. When the time comes the call will be made to come home but first let us do what we need to do to form our nation."

It is expected that McGregor will arrive in Seitch tomorrow afternoon and will spend the day in meetings with various people within the city. It is also expected that the Red Palace, ancestoral home of the Corrino family will be the scene of an official reception for the faiths figurehead.

Libby:

ELECTIONS TO TAKE PLACE WEEK
The four positions on the Provisional Government still to be filled will be voted on next week. The Reverend Mother announced upon the formation of the Theocracy that a ten person provisional government would work to create the nations first constitution which will then be placed in front of the public for approval. Should the constitution be approved the provisions of it would then be implemented however should it be rejected then the Provisional Government would then add two more members from those who voted against the constitution and work on a 2nd draft. This process would continue until a suitable constitution was completed. The first six members of the Provisional Government are made up of the Reverend Mother, a member of each of the four holy houses and Ruth Hipkiss who is the head of the Missionara Protectiva. The remaining four seats will be picked by the citizens of the Theocracy with one seat going to each branch of the Sitsterhood, Truthsayer, Missionara Protectiva, Mother and Honored Matres.

One of those who is seeking election is Agnes Mulryne who heads up an independent group of Missionara Protectiva scholars called the "Genesis of Faith". Mulryne arrived in the Theocracy just two days ago and said, "I think it is vital that the Provisional Government has as many diverse members as possible. We have an excellent spread of skills and backgrounds potentially already. We have though no one from outside the Sisterhood's systems. The Holy Houses are tied to the Sisterhood and there is now an oppurtunity to bring people like myself in. I do not reject the Sisterhood at all but instead wish to embrace different methods of achieving the same aim outside of a strict system. I think someone such as myself is needed to ensure we realise that a nation can not be run the same way as the Sisterhood." Mulyrne is on the ballot along with two other Missionara. The first is Blair MacReachtain who actually fought in Seitch despite being a scholar. The 31 year old has travelled largely across Mundus and is a "roving" Missionara meaning she has worked for the Sisterhood but at no fixed venue. The final Missionara candidate is 58 year old Sarah Campian who until recently resided in Chitsopol where she taught Religious Studies at a secondary school while also giving private tutoring to members of the Bene Gesserit faith within the Northen neighbour.

Three days to register to vote remain. Any individual able to prove that they were in the Theocracy as of 16th May 2021 will be eligible to vote so long as they can provide a permanent address and have registered formally with the Theocracy.

Libby:

FIRST ELECTION RESULT IN.
MISSIONARA SELECTED
Following a busy day of transporting ballots from across the Theoracy to Seitch for counting and auditing the first of four positions to be elected by the citizens of the Theocracy has been announced and 21 year old Aileas Faulkner has been elected. She now becomes both the youngest member of the Provisional Government and the first person elected to a position of responsibility in the Theocracies short history. A total of four Missionara Protectiva ran for election and Faulkner earned 36% of the vote on first preference compared to Blair MacReachtain, a wandering Missionara scholar who had fought in Seitch who earned 27%. Following the use of 2nd preferences Faulkner ended up with 53% of the vote giving her the seat on the council. Faulkner is a Missionara graduate of Aosta Chapterhouse who assumed to identity of a Kaitaine girl who died three years ago and attended Arrakeen University where she gained a degree in Biological Engineering. It was also revealed that during the conflict she acted as a resistance cell organiser having orchestrated several code systems used by the cells. She has been an active member of the Seitch based Missionara since liberation authoring several papers on her thoughts about the future of the Kwizach Haderach. It is thought that she was popular with many voters because, along with MacReachtain, she was present in Kaitaine during the conflict. This has indicated to many observers that it is likely that in the positions for Mother, Honored Matres and Truthsayer it is likely to be people who served in Kaitaine that do well.

The apparent split in the vote favouring "local" candidates may well be the first sign of a problem for the Reverend Mother to fix. One respected scholar to speak on the matter is Olimpia Vico who heads to Chapterhouse school in Aosta from which Faulkner graduated. "Following any protracted conflict there is a sense among those who experienced it first hand that only those who were there can truly understand it. A form of sisterhood, or brotherhood, has been formed and naturally favour is shown to those belonging to it. In this case in short order the Theocracy has seen individuals from across Mundus attempt to flock there to what they see as a spiritual homeland, yet it is only those who see themselves as having shed blood upon the sands that feel like they deserve to be there. What must be avoided is a us and them mentality. On the one hand the "fighters" and on the other hands the "Outsiders". We belong to one faith, one family and all served one purpose. I myself have yet to walk upon the sacred sands of Seitch, yet I have helped prepare countless who have. I hope that when my time comes to answer the ever present call to return to my ancestoral homeland I am welcomed and accepted. Her Holiness, Erin McGregor, must ensure her Provisional Government includes mechanisms to ensure we do not have divides in our society before we even begin to build. I believe Aileas is a fantastic mind and believe that having grown up outside Kaitaine but then experienced life in the Soviet she is positioned to help guide the many like her who now flee the evils of the East to become part of Mundus' newest nation."

Counting for the other three seats has been going on throughout the night and results are expected within the next few hours. The elections are being overseen by a representation from the Tamoran embassy, the Chistopol Border Force and the four chapterhouses.

Libby:

PROVISIONAL GOVERNMENT RELEASE CONSTITUTION DRAFT
Following several months of drafting and consultation the Provisional Government have realased a copy of the initial constitution to the Theocracy. The panel was made up of a representative of each of the four Holy Houses, the Reverend Mother, General McNeill and four elected members representing each of the four branches of the Sisterhood. The constitution essentially suggests that the Reverend Mother will act in a capacity similar to many nations Presidents with a two chamber council providing representation of the general public. The lower chamber will be open to all citizens of the Theocracy while the upper chamber will be made up of representatives of each of the four sections of the Sisterhood. It is likely that the constitution will pass as at present the vast majority of the citizens registered within the Theocracy are members of the Bene Gesserit Sisterhood with the nation currently having a huge gender differential in terms of global comparison. Currently 62% of the population of the Theocracy are female. This is an issue that the Reverend Mother has spoken about being an issue. Reverend Mother Erin McGregor explained, "The Sisterhood has always placed an emphasis on the fact that females have a closer connection to spirituality. As a result of our nation being forged by the Sisterhood it is perhaps understandable that we have seen the vast majority of our migration being members of it keen to get back to the Holy Land. For our prosperity and demographic balance we need some levelling out."

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version