Author Topic: Requesting the Morelander ambassador  (Read 1756 times)

Offline Paracambi

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Paracambi
Requesting the Morelander ambassador
« on: August 10, 2021, 10:24:20 PM »

To:- The Kingdom of East Moreland.

It has become apparent to ourselves that East Moreland aircraft have been criss crossing the Alucard periodically and disappearing from radar. It is our belief that East Moreland has somehow begun operating an airfield somewhere within the Central Alucard Island Chain, something we believe potentially can have an impact on the region. We wish to discuss with the government of East Moreland the nature of these flights and if neccesary our concerns.

We look forward to a report from your ambassador within 24 hours.

His Imperial Majesty Emperor Benson of Paracambi
Head Hugon of the Vodou Faith.

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
Re: Requesting the Morelander ambassador
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2021, 11:55:53 PM »
Natalia Dixon had been appointed to the ambassadorship just after the opening of the "Vodou Vatican" So far her time here had been filled with attending cultural events, hosting holy festivals in the embassy and dealing with tourists who had got into trouble with the local police while on holiday. She hadn't been expecting to get a call from the Paracambians and so had first contacted the Foreign Ministry to get up to speed on what was likely to come up. Having been brought fully up to date with what was going on she was a little apprehensive. She reported to the Palace gate and handed over her credentials. "I'm here to see His Imperial Majesty. If you could tell him I'm here for our appointment please."

She waited until shown in to see him, she bowed to Benson before asking, "If Your Imperial Majesty would like to outline your concerns then I'll do my best to answer them." She asked.

Offline Paracambi

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2021, 12:39:38 PM »
Bensen showed Natalia a seat across from him at his desk. It was a rather imposing dark wooden affair inlaid with a gold colour but topped with a dark green leather on top. Photos of the Emperor's family stood on one corner while a wooden pot of various pens at the other. Normally Benson would have offered the guest a drink but today was no matter for niceties. "Thank you for coming so quickly." The Emperor at least began politely. "We have over the last 24 hours witnessed East Moreland aircraft crossing the Alucard towards Lodja. That is a situation I had expected, one ally helping another during a time of crisis. We then had some of our naval patrols witness on radar these aircraft seemingly land in the Alucard. Now upon interviews with various water nomad groups the word on the street is that you're running some kind of makeshift air force base off of one of the islands in the Central Alucard Chain. To the best of my knowledge that island is in international water and I am therefore concerned that you are claiming these islands, home to the Water Nomads from time to time, for your own designs. As your King has stated on many occasions those native to a region should control what goes on there. If East Moreland are building air-bases in the region I want to know where, why and there should be controls put on it. Now is this information you can furnish me with or do we need to send our fleet further south to extract the information ourselves?"

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2021, 10:07:52 PM »
"I have been authorised by His Majesty King David to inform you of Operation Cobble Field." Ambassador Dixon took out a packet that she had been sent from East Moreland. It contained a variety of schedules and images the Ministry of Defence had cleared for the Emperor to see. "East Moreland have been building make shift airfields on a temporary basis around the world during times of emergency. They are constructed using a system that is essentially like a heavy duty metal version of laminate kitchen flooring. They slot together, a bolt gun secures them to the ground, whether that be rock, grass or other solid surface. The matting allows vegetation to grow through and following disuse it can either be removed or left to overgrow. When used in Lakhzovia we removed it following its use and now you would never know its been there. With the search for the HMDS Morelander ongoing and also the attack on the Water Nomad a change in tactics was needed. Sending patrols out from the mainland or the Lodjain islands would be ineffective. Being able to bring assets in and maintain them in the central Alucard is very useful for the security of Lodja and the region in general. Now in terms of your region the first issue is if you recall you have interfered in the Illumic without consulting us when you sent air-force assets to Zimalia. IT could be argued that by doing so you actually protected Borlanders, however we realise that you in one way were invited to the region by Zimalia so even if objecting it becomes difficult to deny your visit as a sovereign nation did so. That though does not mean we were happy about it. Now while there are some parralls because we have been invited by Lodja, one difference is scale. You were some 2,500km away from us, a small hop by fighter plane. We are operating a good 5,000km away, out of the range of our fighters if for some insane reason we planned to attack Paracambi. The only places we could hit are Lodja, who are our allies, Aosta whom have expressed an interest in joining the CNN and Nya Aland with whom we have a long standing respect. It is safe to say therefore that we have no ill will in the region. It is obvious already that you are monitoring the area and likely can do so with greater scrutiny given time. We shall therefore save you the effort. We will ask therefore that you hold off on telling anyone about this for 48 hours, that allows us to move our assets to the region and have everything set for the operations in mind. On hour 49 we would clear a space for a fighter sized aircraft to land there, we'll give you the specifications of the landing area. It can then place people on the ground to observe the actions of our forces. Finally King David gives his word that 30 days following the rescue of Prince Isaak the Morelanders will begin removing the airfield, unless TUNA requests it stay. We believe this should reassure you're concerns but also show our intentions are not imperialistic in nature." Dixon had no idea if these terms would be accepted but had delivered what had been requested.

Offline Paracambi

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2021, 05:06:15 PM »
Benson had been aware for some time of the Morelanders and their abilities and accomplishments with these temporary airfields. He was also aware of the issues stemming from the previous Illumic incidents. "I believe when it came to our actions in Zimalia however we were on the same page. You didn't wish to see Zimalia's sovereignty diminished, we ensured it wasn't. This however is seeing you creating something completely new. As a result the two are not really the same. I must make you aware that we have already asked our SUN partners for information regarding your activities, so they clearly know you are up to something already. We will though grant you 48 hours of silence on three conditions. The first is that we are permitted to have three fighters there. This will allow us to monitor you round the clock, a single fighter could not achieve this. The Second is that we shall be parking a Frigate on the deadside of your airfield. It will monitor flights and communications and provide berths for a small maintainence crew for our aircraft. Finally 72 hours after the HMDS Morelander has been either recaptured or sunk we expect an East Moreland withdrawal of the airfield to begin, it took you only a few days to set it up and therefore once you begin the withdrawal it must be finished within 72 hours."

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2021, 05:36:33 PM »
Dixon was a little lost over whether she was actually in a position to negotiate however she was pretty sure that King David would not mind if she tried to sweeten the deal a little bit for East Moreland. "I am naturally not in a position to say yes or no, however I know the King pretty well and his advisers in terms of military matters. I don't think he will accept these terms for the simple reason that it puts a threat on the operation taking place. I can however suggest a compromise that I think he will likely go for. Space on the airfield is tight, three fighters is a significant number when you see the size of it. In effect the fighters being there are just to give you people on the ground and an ability to track our operations. Perhaps a better way of doing this would be the idea of maintaining the single fighters we offered, however perhaps at a distance of 10km on the deadside of the airfield you could position your new hybrid class Helicopter Cruiser alongside the frigate. That would allow you to put up to ten helicopters in the air that would give you much more ability to observe what we're doing." She knew that King David had rather admired the ship and thought this would perhaps be a good way to get a more up close look. "As for the removal of the airfield, I think as the situation is fluid saying simply once the HMDS Morelander is dealt with things must shut down does not really hold much weight. Perhaps once the Lodjain situation is over we could look at the time frame, however with the location being where it is perhaps we must include the other TUNA nations in a decision, the airfield could perhaps be of use, if we are permitted this extension beyond the Morelander scenario being over then we would be open to leaving the airstrip operational should TUNA authorise us to."

Offline Paracambi

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2021, 06:55:15 PM »
Benson suspected that Dixon would not be saying yes or no to any arrangement that he put forward he had not quiet suspected that she would negotiate without even consulting King David. It made Benson smile slightly as he began to speak. "East Moreland are a nation that I respect, I don't always agree with them but I did hope myself and King David could become friends. The issue here is though that we don't actually need your permission to park naval assets anywhere near the rock. If we wanted we could encircle the entire rock with our own navy and launch as many helicopters as we want. That though is something we would not want to do as we can see the value to your operation for regional security. I also think your proposition does have some merit. We will be sending the Hybrid Class known as the Insolent and our Amphibious Warfare ship, the INV Linguetor. We shall stay out of your field of operations as you suggest however rather than just observing I want an officer from our Air Force to be allocated to your Air Traffic Control, or whatever you have in play, at all times. We will speak to TUNA as soon as our 48 hour silence is over and then we will come up with a plan on the future of the airfield. That is what we would consider a fair arrangement. I can make an office avaliable if you want to speak with King David or we could discuss it in a few hours?"

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2021, 07:59:16 PM »
Dixon knew that the Emperor was correct. If the Paracambians had wanted to park hundreds of ships off the rock there was not much from an international law stand point that they could do about it. The arrangement put forward was one that would be a little awkward but did seem a fair compromise. "If you're Emperor is agreeable I'll just have a quick walk around the garden while I contact home. It may take some time to get His Majesty on the phone but he is expecting a call. I'll put to him what we've discussed and I'll recommend to him that he accepts." With that Dixon headed outside and using her diplomatic phone began to call Northfort Palace.

As she suspected it took twenty minutes to get King David on the phone and then Dixon outlined the talks. David was a little annoyed at the comparisons between the two regions but had to admit it was kind of correct. "Tell the Emperor that we agree to the conditions with one exception. The airfield will be left for use by TUNA on condition that it is not used for any military purposes. Should the Paracambians agree to that then we can proceed with everything else. Let me know if there are any issues." David hoped this last condition wouldn't ruin Dixon's negotiating and waited for confirmation the deal had been done.

Dixon headed back inside and waited for the Emperor to reappear. "Your Imperial Majesty" Dixon bowed once again. "King David is happy to go with the arrangement we discussed however he has one final condition. The airstrip will be left intact on condition that TUNA do not utilise it for any military purpose. If you find a civilian use we'll leave it, however if TUNA can't find a civilian use then we'll be forced to dismantle it or at least ensure it is not operable. Can I let King David know we've reached an arrangement?"

Offline Paracambi

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2021, 10:58:02 PM »
While Dixon made her phone call the Emperor waited in his office, he had plenty of other things to be doing and had lost track of time when she returned to the meeting. He was of the belief that it would be difficult for any military purpose to work on the rock anyway, it was too small for international co-operation and the fact that there were CNN, TUNA and even Cross Staits interests in the region it would never come about. He could think of several useful civilian uses, a search and rescue outpost, a scientific study base, even a way station for the Alucard Clean up and so when Dixon asked for the final concession from him regarding the site then the Emperor was happy to agree. "Ambassador thank you for your time, I believe we have an understanding in good faith." He looked at his watch, "I believe your 48 hours of grace can begin." He offered his hand, "I hope the next time we meet it is for something much happier."