Author Topic: Nuclear Powered Dragon  (Read 1740 times)

Offline Lijiang

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Lijiang
Nuclear Powered Dragon
« on: September 01, 2021, 10:08:53 PM »
Tielin had considered sending one of his High Lords, another test and reward kind of situation. On one had he would show his respect and trust in the noble while at the same time seeing if they had any political acumen. The problem was the recent debacle with the East Moreland state visit and the talks there had shown him that it was important this proceed without a hitch and as such he was heading to Altona himself accompanied only by a few scholars from Lijiang and his seemingly new "Chief Adviser" Jin Odinsson. The Alander had proven to be an interesting man to talk with and also was well versed in international diplomacy. The Dragon-Emperor was glad to reach the city Kingdom and was disappointed he had missed out on the coronation but hoped Rutger wouldn't hold that against him.

Tielin knew there would be members of the international community hoping this would fail but he was confident that he could pull this off. In his mind he needed too. He had been discussing with some of his civil servant that despite strong performances with some international diplomacy many believed he was neglecting some domestic duties and power production would help sure that up. This made him concerned as the fresh air of the Altonan airport rushed into the aircraft. The Dragon-Emperor made his way outside, buttoned up his jacket and made his way towards the host.

Offline Altona

• Roleplay Manager
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Altona
Re: Nuclear Powered Dragon
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2021, 09:41:46 PM »
Rutger had gathered the family for today's visit. It was after all the first by a visiting nation since his coronation and it would likely be one of the most controversial, or lucrative of his reign. With the international community seemingly wanting to make anyone not conforming to their MAEA an outsider Altona could find itself on the outside looking in if handled badly. Stood next to Rutger was his wife, the newly coronated Queen Heidi who was doing her best to stop 12 year old Prince Karl from annoying his nine year old sister Princess Matilda. As the Dragon-Emperor arrived Matilda was slightly disappointed in how un-dragon like he looked.

Rutger stepped forward and greeted Tielin with a handshake as he introduced his family. "Welcome to our Kingdom." The group began the journey to the Southern Palace. It had been Rutger's residence before assuming the throne but as the main royal residence was still being altered for the new family it would do. Rutger would miss its isolation but this would be a good chance to say goodbye to it.

Upon arrival Helena wished Tielin luck for the talks and took the children away. The room overlooking the lake was prepared for the meeting, strong black coffee, some biscuits and two fresh leather bound notebooks. "Please take a seat." Rtger waited for the Dragon-Emperor to sit. "When we heard of your issues with MAEA we thought perhaps you would give up on nuclear energy, when you have sought to still pursue peaceful use of this technology and had picked us as a potential partner I was rather excited. We are a nation that we hope will soon be powered almost exclusively by the atom and if we can help others we will as well as we can. I therefore look forward to hearing what you would like from us. "

Offline Lijiang

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2021, 10:15:10 PM »
The coffee was something that Tielin was not that accustomed to while his adviser Jin was rather more used to its consumption. Tielin put his cup to one side and focused on what Rutger was saying. "In terms of what we would like from you the short answer is we'd like to acquire the machinery and equipment required to construct our first nuclear power station. We would also then like to send members of our nation to train alongside your staff. The idea would be that we can bring the power station online initially with your support but then shortly after with 100% Lijiangian staff. We have already acquired quantities of viable uranium and plutonium from Waddan which will be delivered shortly. Our main concern is the MAEA essentially trying to make the world reliant on them for nuclear energy either by controlling access to technology or routes to fuel. My desire is a programme for Lijiang that will become 100% operated by Lijiang. So do you believe that we can reach some kind of arrangement for us to acquire our technological base from Altona?"

Offline Altona

• Roleplay Manager
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 08:21:30 PM »
Rutger had to admit that Tielin had clearly grasped the bull by the horns and already made incredible progress in his attempt to bring nuclear energy to his nation. It was clear that regardless of what Rutger had to say on the matter Tielin would find someone else, be it a nation like Fleur or someone else. Altona was a nation that had committed to keeping nuclear weapons out of its arsenal very early on in their history for two reasons. The first was the belief that their power served no moral purpose in warfare, the second that for a nation of their size they were not practical anyway. While Tielin's move towards the MAEA suggested he too had no desire for nuclear weapons perhaps by being the ones to support Lijiang the Altonans could ensure a path of peace for their development. The arrangement could also be a nice money spinner for the nation.

"The idea your following can't happen overnight" Rutger stated the obvious. "It takes a good deal of time to learn the ins and outs of running a nuclear power station. I think we can make your first station operational but to keep it so would require continued input from someone, and we'd be the best placed, for a while. I'm going to make an opening suggestion. We construct a power station capable of powering some 700,000 homes. That would be around 1,100 MegaWatts. To build such a station costs around $7.5billion. A fair outlay. What I suggest is that we pay the initial outlay on the condition that Altonan Electrical Syndicate (AES), our nations biggest energy provider and operator of our nuclear power station are permitted to operate it for an initial 10 years. During that time they will be able to collect revenue in the same way your own domestic energy providers will do, if you have private businesses in that field. They will not be taxed on that income. At the end of 10 years they give up 20% of the ownership and a further 20% a year until the plant is completly in Lijiang's hands. Alongside this financial arrangement we wuld have AES train your staff so that each year the number of Altonans working there would be reduced until after eight years its 85% staffed by your countryman. I think this arrangement would fulfil your requirements."

Offline Lijiang

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 09:53:41 PM »
Tielin believed it was clear Rutger had clearly put a lot of thought into his offer and in most cases a nation would probably jump to accept, this situation though was not one that was a normal diplomatic conversation. "Your offer meets all my requirements in terms of energy production. This project though was never just about electricity, it was about showing my people that we can stand toe to toe with the modern world and achieve what nations we've seen do incredible things can. If I let you build it, operate it, profit from it then I may as well have taken the Rokkenjiman offer, joined the MAEA and been viewed as a puppet. I want this project to be funded by us, most of the work done by us. I therefore propose that you permit us to buy parts from you that we assemble, under supervision of experts from your nation. I do though agree we would require instruction and supervision in the early operation. As such I will give AES 15% of the profits the site make in return for them providing supervision and training for 10 years. After that period it shall drop to 5%, and then two years later 0%. They will not be taxed on their income. Lijiang shall meet the whole cost of the project, I believe $7.5billion for the size you suggest would be fair from my readings, however remember that sum includes acquiring the nuclear materials, something we already have. I suspect many will call this a vanity project but it is one our nation needs."

Offline Altona

• Roleplay Manager
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 10:32:39 PM »
Rutger grinned, "There is nothing wrong with vanity projects. Nations should be proud of their skills, abilities and achievements. Providing for the long term energy needs of your people is something worth getting right and I believe nuclear power is a step in that direction. My concern however is that with the best will in the world your people lack some of the skills required to get this done. Could you're people erect a cooling tower? No doubt. Could they put electrical wiring in? I suspect they can. Could they align the inner workings of nuclear reactor? I am pretty confident the answer is no. You therefore are going to need some Altonan input. I also think you may have underestimated the amount of input the initial running of the station may take in terms of staff from Altona. I suggest then that AES get given 20% rather than 15 and that then it drop to 8% for two years then 1% for the rest of the stations life. In return AES will maintain a kind of remote assistance team if you require it. I would also be willing to provide a credit arrangement if that makes the process easier. Do we have an agreement?" Rutger extended a hand hoping Tielin would shake it.

Offline Lijiang

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2021, 08:08:48 PM »
Tielin left Rutger's hand hanging for a while. The Altonan was correct there was a huge skills gap that would need to be filled but he had no doubt that it would be achieved. "We have an agreement on one further condition. Our major University will be getting a Department of Nuclear Engineering to start in the new year. If you provide three tutors and fund them for three years I'll shake your hand."

Offline Altona

• Roleplay Manager
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2021, 09:32:04 PM »
Rutger was pleased, providing some tutors was not going to be difficult and having a chance to get the foot in the door at the Lijiang Universities meant that perhaps they could cream off some of the local talent if need be. "Dragon-Emperor I believe we can begin this agreement as soon as you're ready for the tutors." He extended a hand once more to the Lijiang ruler.

Offline Lijiang

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2021, 08:18:52 PM »
Tielin was rather pleased with how this had gone. He stood and took hold of King Rutger's hand. "Your Majesty has made me very happy. I hope that we can begin this process as soon as possible." He sat back down feeling a wave of relief. "Now can we look at any further ways we can co-operate at all?"