Author Topic: Eigg and East Moreland  (Read 2376 times)

Offline Dal

• Microstate
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Dál Riata
Eigg and East Moreland
« on: September 12, 2021, 09:09:02 PM »

To:- His Majesty King David III of East Moreland.

I hope Your Majesty will not find it disrespectful that I must admit that as a Queen of a nation with little prominence, even within our own Federation, that I see East Moreland as a nation whose path I can emulate. As a young girl I watched as you became King of your land and continued its path out of the shadows to leave it today in a position where its name is highly respected. It is my hope that the Kingdom of Eigg can perhaps learn from the Morelander way. While our future lies firmly alongside our Celtic brothers and sisters in Dál Riata I wish for our path to eventually lead to one where our Kingdom can stand strong on its own two feet. This is no secret as on the path to better security, opportunities and prosperity in the 18th Century a partnership was needed. This has impacted the culture of Eigg significantly and as a junior partner much of our heritage has become Riatised. Our language today is spoken by approximately 30% of our population on a daily basis for example. It is my hope that my people would see a situation where I can meet with someone who has overcome similar isolation as a sign that we could one day become a proud independent nation.

Blessings of the Morrigan.
Queen Aoife II of Eigg

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
Re: Eigg and East Moreland
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2021, 10:52:01 PM »
David was flattered by the letter but also slightly concerned. East Moreland was yet to build a relationship beyond anything basic with the Federation and he hoped that any meeting with the young Queen would not sour chances down the road. It was however an interesting chance to meet a young monarch who seemed to want to accomplish some of the things he had tried to do during his reign and that meant an invitation was extended to the Queen to visit Northfort Palace. David was keen to make this, at least publically, a visit focused on two monarchs sharing a cultural experience rather than formal talks. As such the King had hastily arranged an evening of traditional East Moreland entertainment, a Medieval MMA tournament on the Palace lawns. While it wouldn't feature any international greats it would see some of the promising juniors from the nation take part. Alongside that was a small musical stage set up to provide entertainment between matches and the ever obligatory racks of spit roasting meat, in this case the first venison since the nations vets had given an OK from Yellow-Tongue. David had invited a large number of East Moreland's nobles as well as several significant charitable causes, each of whom had been able to auction off tickets to raise funds. To anyone looking casually from the outside it would appear that Queen Aoife was just a guest at a royal function, however this was often how David did diplomacy anyway surrounded by casual settings and entertainment. It had been such measures that had lead to the CNN being formed through the various monarchs interests in rugby. Even though it was several hours until anyone would arrive Princess Rhiannon was glued to her bedroom window which overlooked the lawn. Several of the competitors were checking out the ring and testing out their gear and a sword-obsessed Princess was excited. She wouldn't be attending herself but her father had promised that she'd be able to see all the matches from her bedroom window. Her Great-Uncle, Duke Fraser Kade, had agreed to watch her that evening and he'd planned a little feast of their own and Rhiannon was looking forward to the sweets she knew he'd bring.

With the preparations at the Palace well in hand David made the trip out to King Robert International Airport to meet the Queen. The airport was well accustomed to meeting foreign VIP's and even had a terminal just for the diplomatic service and it was to there that King David had headed accompanied by his sister Princess Freya. The two hadn't hung out much recently. David had been busy with various diplomatic trips while Freya had been involved in various military exercises with her Light Scout comrades. Freya had a lot of diplomatic experience herself and more importantly for David's purpose at least a decent rudimentary grasp of basic Gaelic. As the Queen's aircraft came in a band made up of members of Freya's Regiment began to play the national anthem of their guest and an honour guard of the Green jacketed soldiers saluted as the Queen was introduced. David approached, "Good Morning" He extended a hand, "Welcome to East Moreland". Freya stepped forward and said hello in the Queen's native tongue before asking about her flight. She hoped her accent hadn't been too terrible. David resumed talking, "I don't know if you ate on the flight but I have arranged for Brunch at a little place I like here. Its run by a Seaforthian ex-pat who came over during the Eugenics War. I thought it might be nice to show you we've already some great friends from the Celtic World." David knew the Federation had an interest in a kind of Celtic co-operation so perhaps showing the East Moreland-Seaforth connection off would be useful. "So is food a good place to start or would you prefer to see something else."

Offline Dal

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 08:23:38 PM »
The young Queen was taking her first trip as a monarch. Since her father had abdicated she hadn't seen a great deal of him and even if half the allegations against him were true then Aoife would have no desire to do so. When the details of King David's schedule had been released Aoife had become even more excited. She had expected a private face to face at best but now the meeting would have more of a feeling of a state visit. To be seen with the King and possibly Queen of East Moreland at such an event would be amazing for propaganda back home.

Aoife had invited her cousin Lady Adeen Malloy to come with her. They were of a similar age and it would mean that on the flight over she wasn't alone. They had charted a private aircraft and for part of the trip it was accompanied by a fighter from the Federation, a mere token gesture of them providing some kind of security. Unlike the Morelanders they didn't have a huge royal apparatus of staff and such an event as she was attending wouldn't be possible in Eigg, yet.

When the aircraft stopped and she heard her own anthem she was happy and even more so when Princess Freya addressed her in Gaelic. "I'm very excited to be here." the Queen said before introducing her cousin. "I can't wait to see your home and the events you have put on. I'm honoured you'd go to such a great trouble to accomodate our meeting. As for brunch I'd be thrilled, I am rather peckish but first I hope I can present you with this." She handed over a bolt of tartan fabric and unwrapped it to reveal a polished wood plaque with a Celtic style clan belt crest on it. "I understand that you are the Baron Grey in Seaforth, we have a small contingent of the Grey clan in Eigg and on their behalf I'd like to present you with this." There was enough fabric to make a kilt if the King so wanted, she had no idea if he maintained any sort of contact with the Seaforthian Grey's but hoped the gesture was one of friendship.

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2021, 10:16:18 PM »
It had been in truth a long time since David had set foot in the lands that in theory he held in Seaforth. While the lands gave him certain status the King didn't really do much beyond send instructions for a steward looking after the estate and that was used to benefit the clan that despite him being an honorary member of he had little connection to. It could be something that he'd consider doing more of, especially if he could build stronger ties with this Celtic nation too.

David thanked Aoife for the gift. "Its been quiet a while since I wore a kilt and perhaps that's a good thing" The King smiled, "Its an item I never wore gracefully on all these visits to Seaforth, perhaps though when I get a chance to come and visit Eigg I can do it more justice." The King headed towards the waiting convoy of vehicles, a large smart looking vehicle sat in the middle of two large black SUV's and in front of each of those a military mobility vehicle. A squad of eight Red Legionnaires milled around the mobility vehicles and now began to mount up as the King and his guest sat in the air conditioned luxury. One of the perks of being the royal family was that the military ensured you got anywhere quickly within the capital and within just a short period King David was announcing they'd arrived at the location for brunch. It wasn't a grand place, a kind of smart cafe with a tartan flag outside and the smell of food cooking. Will Buckley the King's Chief of Security entered first and the owner came and greeted him. Without waiting for the King he headed into the back and began barking orders for the chef. The two royals entered as David held the door for the Queen. A seat had been reserved near the window and Will held a chair out for Aofie and Lady Adeen. David sat opposite alongside his sister. "We took the liberty of ordering ahead of time." David explained as a rather casually dressed waiter in jeans and a polo shirt with tartan collar appeared. He placed two Cenneg Breakfasts down before the Queen and her friend before a second young waiter appeared with matching plates for the Morelanders. "I assume Eigg and Cenneg cuisine is pretty similar." David slowly pierced the yolk of his egg. There was something satisfying watching the gold ooze out.

"Have you found yourself being criticised back home following your words on independence?" Freya asked and noticed her brother looking rather awkwardly at her but Freya was always rather blunt and to the point.

Offline Dal

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2021, 05:37:30 PM »
All the familiar favourites of home were on the plate, Aoife wasn't that fond of the posh food that tended to be served around royal functions mainly due to perhaps still having a rather teenage pallet. She thanked the staff for the food and turned herself to the conversation at the table. "I think the Celts like rather robust and hearty food. I know we're a group that much like Morelanders prefer to try and keep skills like hunting and fishing alive so its not too disimilar. I also can't think of two cultures that would conjure up haggis." She smiled as she took a slice of potato cake.

Freya seemed more intent on political talk and that made Aoife a little nervous. The Princess was to her knowledge far less diplomatic than her brother the King but Aoife knew she was popular in Seaforth so wanted to try and build a solid friendship with her. "I think whatever a monarch of Eigg says is likely to get criticised by Dal Raitans. They don't want to see their precious Federation threatened. I think perhaps they fear that if we leave then it may encourage some of the larger clans to do something similar. So historically anytime an Eiggite monarch speaks out we're seen as over-stepping ourselves. Yet the Federation forget that the people of Eigg wish to maintain their monarchy. Its part of our life and our identity. I'll keep pushing for independence and I'll get it.....eventually." she shrugged her shoulders and took a bite of square sausage. "I understand Princess that you're good friends with the Rhodes. I'm yet to meet them, perhaps you can tell me how best to become friends with them."

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2021, 12:33:03 AM »
 Freya did not like the idea of perhaps East Moreland getting wrapped up in some political wrangling between nations and a region within it or whatever the arrangement was between this Federation and the want away Kingdom. She suspected though that her brother would come down on the idea of respecting the will of the people of Eigg and if they wished to maintain their monarchy then David would probably find a way of seeming to be pro-Eiggite Monarchy.

"I'd be happy to make the introductions to the Seaforthians" Freya said just after she had worked out that she did not really like Haggis. She would though in the interests of diplomacy be forced to eat the lot but thankfully the chef hadn't piled her plate high with it. "My experiences of the Seaforthians, and the Cenneg to that extent is that to get on well with them be frank in your words, kind in your heart and liberal with your liquour." She remembered some words Joshua had once told her when they'd BBQ'd at the Ostlake Games, they seemed simple rules and ones that perhaps wouldn't be that hard for the Queen to follow.

"I suspect the Liqour part was something that helped me and the Rhodes become friends, our mutual respect for whiskey." David did his best to maintain small talk over the remaining breakfast time. Once complete it was time to head to the Palace itself. While there would be a social event that night but before then there would be a chance to get some potential business done. The Queen was given the tour of Northfort Palace where preparations for the evenings event was well underway. The last stop on the tour was the King's own office where his Chief of Household, Quinn Germaine, had set up tea and coffee. David invited the Queen to sit while Freya excused herself. She was on duty ready to meet the Rhodes family when they arrived. David ensured everyone was sat comfortably before beginning his conversation. "Normally Aoife it would be here that I'd begin asking about us making some kind of bilateral national treaty. That however can not happen in this case which leaves me at a disadvantage as normally I'd know exactly what I could put forward. This time however I'm happy for you to start things off. What exactly would you like to achieve here?"
« Last Edit: November 14, 2021, 06:46:18 PM by DaveIronside »

Offline Dal

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2021, 09:59:27 PM »
Queen Aoife was impressed with Northfort Palace but wasn't so thrilled about its location. The Palace among a city seemed pointless as surely the whole purpose was to enjoy nature in luxury. While her own Palace lacked the vast number of rooms of Northfort Palace she did have a huge lake and forest in which to roam. Northfort though was an experience and of course it had a greater history on the global stage than her own home.

It was disappointing that there would be no treaty between the Kingdoms but of course she had known that was a slim chance before even getting on the plane.  "I understand the position you are forced to take." the Queen began her response. " What I hope is that perhaps we can form some small connections between us. As you know I've followed a path similar to your own in regards to having studied History at University. During my studies I loved learning about other cultures and countries. I would have loved to spend some time studying in Ui Cenneslaig or Seaforth but my security wouldn't allow it. I would love though to allow young people from my homeland to have the chances I didn't. I know that you yourself are a keen Historian and so I'd like to begin with three requests if possible. The first is that we have a seperate arrangement between Eigg and East Moreland for school exchanges. Education is a policy area where I have free reign to do as I wish so long as my Council don't overrule me and on this matter I'm confident they would be in step with me. The second matter is that I'd like to put in place an agreement that our students...and naturally yours wouldn't need visas to enter our institutions. This I would need to gain the Federation approval of as it requires visa rules to be approved but I am of the belief they wouldn't see a problem so long as the student comes to Eigg. The final request is that should your nation have a version of the Boy Scouts and Girl Guides then we have a largescale joint camp for them  in Eigg as a good will visit. I think this is a good place to start?"

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2021, 11:09:26 PM »
David was impressed that Aofie had clearly done some research and had located one of his soft spots. He firmly believed education was the cornerstone of making Mundus and East Moreland a better place. "We've been lucky to have one of our family take part in the More and Mundus project, my niece Sophie went to Dartfordia and Nya Aland and we hosted her Dartfordian hosts daughter, the two are still firm friends and I know it helped develop my niece significantly. I think Eigg would be an interesting place for our young people to visit so in terms of school exchanges I'd be happy to look at making arrangements between your schools and ours for exchanges. As for visas I would need to wait and see what influences your Federation's council would put in place. I would in theory have no issue between a Federation wide arrangement if it came to it but that would need to be explored between me, you and the leader of the Federation. East Moreland has a lot of youth groups, with the Scouting organisation being originated from Christian movements though we have less of an attendance than I suspect your homeland may by the sounds of it. We do though have youth groups that are similar such as a Youth Cadet Force connected to each branch of our military. Just because you're a member doesn't mean that you have to then have a career in the military but its a chance for young people to join a club with a purpose, learn some skills and meet new people. Now I am confident that we could either have our Cadets and your Scouts do things together, or from my point even better if you had a similar Cadet group?"

David had given Aoife one of her requests, and had to negotiate two more but he was hopeful that an arrangement could be found on this matter.

Offline Dal

• Microstate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2022, 08:38:09 PM »
Aoife had hoped that King David would just agree to her requests but being realistic she was getting as good a deal as she probably could expect. She first addressed the visa arrangement. "I believe having read some of East Moreland's agreements with other nations that you have a general visa arrangement deal with other nations that puts limits to length of stay, purpose of visit, funding and the like. If you could give me such an agreement in principle then I could take that back to Dál Riata and get them to approve it, this way I get my name on the document and into the history books." She beamed hopeful that they King would agree to giving her some kind of glory.

As they turned to the Cadet thing that was an easy victory. "We have a similar set of organisations back home, both in Dál Riata and Eigg." She would ideally have liked to keep this project to herself but wasn't sure whether the King would have a problem with that. "Now would you be wanting an arrangement between my cadets or the whole Federation?"

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2022, 10:57:01 PM »
David desperately wanted to give Aoife a break and this would give him an easy way in. "Perhaps what we could do is make an initial arrangement as a kind of test run between a squadron in East Moreland and one from your nation. If it goes well the year after we try multiple squadrons, the third year if we're all still happy we extend it out to the rest of the Federation if they select to be part under the conditions that we've worked out.

David wondered if there was anything else he could offer this young Queen that would be of use to her and her nation but without fully understanding the relationship between the Federation and the Kingdom it would be impossible to come to an arrangement that was meaningful. "If I'm honest Aoife I think we'll struggle to find much concrete that I can offer you and vice versa. While you're willing to obviously work towards some deal it could all be pointless if when you return your Federation knock it back. Perhaps though David had a solution. "What I'd like to offer is a document that we could perhaps call a Statement of Friendship. While we don't put on paper any agreements between us other than a willingness to talk further and to promote good relationships between us it would send a message to the Federation government that we are willing to be good friends and you get the credit."

David neatly removed one of the pages from his notebook and handed it over.

Quote from: Statement of Friendship

The Kingdom of East Moreland and the Queen of Eigg having recently meet in Northfort acknowledge that both their nations, and with hope the Federation of Dal Raitha, will work towards ties of friendship.

To these ends the Kingdom of East Moreland and the Kingdom of Eigg shall with immediate effect.

1. Ensure the utilisation of mutual ambassadors, this is further extended to the Federation if they so wish.

2. The Kingdom of East Moreland and The Kingdom of Eigg shall in 2022 undertake a trial run of an exchange between youth groups attached to the Armed Forces. Should this initial test be successful a larger trial shall take place in 2023 and if the Federation wish the invitation shall be extended to all of the Federation in 2024.

3. The Kingdom of East Moreland and the Kingdom of Eigg shall establish a network of partner schools to undertake video linked lessons and exchanges. Should the initial exchange and partnership be successful it shall be extended to the whole of the Federation.

4. In 2022 a team from the whole of the Federation shall be invited to the Ostlake Military Games as guests of the Kingdom of East Moreland.

5. King David shall meet with the Government of the Federation at their request at a place of their choosing. Queen Aoife of the Kingdom of Eigg shall act as host.

6. A four way tournament in rugby between the Federation, the Kingdom of Eigg, Kingdom of East Moreland and a forth nation to be determined shall take place in October of each year.

7. All parties desire to ensure peace and friendship exists between themselves and will work to bring about a formal agreement aimed at promoting co-operation and prosperity between all.