Author Topic: The Pharaoh and the Emperor: Clysperis Looks To Paracambi  (Read 1847 times)

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Beatrice/Rokkenjima
The Pharaoh and the Emperor: Clysperis Looks To Paracambi
« on: February 07, 2022, 02:05:07 AM »

Emperor Benson,

As one of the principle champions against slavery known throughout Mundus I felt it was time that I reached out to you, given my Kingdom's history with the institution. As you may be aware I recently renounced my right as Pharaoh to enslave foreign prisoners of war and, as chattel slavery has not been practiced in the Kingdom of Clysperis since the eviction of the Godless Soviets from our land, this event marks the formal banishment of slavery from my Kingdom. Indentured servitude has been declared incompatible with Ma'at and I've had the honour of hiring several former indentured servants and watching as their lives improved following the destruction of the chains that bound them. I have also declared, as High Priest of Every Temple in Clysperis, that slavery leaves upon the soul of the slaver a stain of injustice which will most certainly be addressed in the afterlife.

I know that my Kingdom has a complicated history with the institution of slavery and I recognize that I, myself, supported and enabled slavers such as the Tamorans in recent times. As I continue to help my People and Kingdom heal from our own history I wish to be a part of a solution to slavery, to see that a day dawns where no man, woman or child has to live their life in chains, robbed of their dreams and freedoms. To those ends I wish to propose a meeting between us, to establish some manner of cooperation between our nations and work together toward the realization of that day. I shall understand if you are skeptical, if you have doubts, but I hope that I may prove to you through virtue of my actions and the strength of my convictions that I am changed, that I am working toward justice and leaving a positive impact on the world we share, and all whose lives I may touch in one way or another.

Regardless of the reception this message receives I look forward to your reply and the opportunity to speak with you.

Akasha Di-‘nh-mi-Re, Sovereign of Sovereigns, Divine of Appearance, Beloved of Amun, Chosen of Ra, Lord of the Three Lands, Ruler of Justice like Ra, High Priest of Every Temple, the Eye of Horus, Satisfied is the heart of Ra.

Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of the Independent Order
Empress of the First Empire of Rokkenjima

Factbook of the First Empire of Rokkenjima - Kingdom of Clysperis

Offline Paracambi

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Paracambi
Re: The Pharaoh and the Emperor: Clysperis Looks To Paracambi
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2022, 08:13:32 PM »

At present the Empire of Paracambi can not consider talks with yourself. There are several reasons for this.

1) The nation of Clypseris has only legally ended slavery less than a month ago and we are not entirely satisfied that moral reasons lie at the heart of this. The rapid economic growth of Setri requires now foreign investment and rightly so no nation worthy of respect would permit slavery or deal with a nation that does. With much of the construction of Setri completed before the ending of slavery in all forms and the practice of indentured servitude it would be fare to suggest that the city of Setri is built upon a foundation of human exploitation.

2) Your own family sit on a huge wealth and you yourself live in Palaces. While it is encouraging that you have a fund to compensate those you once held in servitude it is only four months ago that you divert funds away from those who profitted from the practice. You stand in a position to compensate everyone impacted by slavery. Going back decades, if not centuries, your people's actions have imposed a future of misery on generation after generation. Much of this misery was inflicted by the Pharoahs of the past and it now falls upon you to put this right. Only when we have seen details of more than generous compensation for each person whose family were forced to give up their freedom for Clysperis benefit can we consider meeting.

3) Setri is a city growing rapidly and becoming a regional hub for business. Those businesses based there from within your nation are benefitting from the toil of the unpaid throughout your nations history. While we are aware of you passing laws for ownership of shares by workers we believe that these should be distributed for free among those who once served as slaves, indentured servants or had ancestors forced to work for these companies. We furthermore believe that these companies should be not 50/50 owned by workers and owners but at least 51% owned by the workers.

4) You are currently the daughter-in-law of the worlds largest slavers. While it is reported that you have experienced difficulties with the Tamorans we can not in good conscience agree to meet with the family of slave owners. Your husband has directly benefited in his life from slavery. We would require visible reassurances that this relationship between Tamora and Clysperis is over.

We therefore at present can not accept this invitation. We are though a nation that will review constantly our interactions with other nations. We therefore would have no issue revisiting this decision in six months time to see whether progress in properly making amends has continued.

Emperor Benson II of Paracambi
Head Hougon of the Vodou Faith   

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2022, 07:34:14 PM »

Emperor Benson,

The evolution of my Kingdom should not be mistaken for any doors opening for foreign powers to determine the domestic policy of the Kingdom, nor for any power to shape the evolution of the Kingdom itself. The Kingdom has not jumped through hoops for foreign powers before, nor shall it do so now. I would merely remind you that investments and interest in Setri existed prior to me taking actions to align law with what has been actual practice in the Kingdom. Furthermore, no form of slavery or servitude were employed in Setri nor in the reconstruction throughout Clysperis: a large part of Setri and the reconstruction effort itself is not only rebuilding Clysperi infrastructure but improving the lives of my People: a fact that is represented in the ongoing Clysperi economic revival.

We shall revisit this proposal once Paracambi shakes antics we last saw from Seaforth in their approach toward the Kingdom.

Respectfully;

Akasha Di-‘nh-mi-Re, Sovereign of Sovereigns, Divine of Appearance, Beloved of Amun, Chosen of Ra, Lord of the Three Lands, Ruler of Justice like Ra, High Priest of Every Temple, the Eye of Horus, Satisfied is the heart of Ra.

Beatrice Anselmo

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2022, 01:50:43 AM »

Emperor Benson,

Given recent events I ask that you excuse my previous response. It was a moment of frustration, but one which was not fully warranted, I must move beyond former instincts that everything is an attack and recognize what is, indeed, constructive criticism of present efforts. I hope that the recent programs and changes I have announced here may address the concerns you have shared with me. We also have in the works mechanisms with which to ensure that the changes I have enacted will stand any potential future tests, and our business boards are reviewing the implementation of employee ownership as I write this.

As for assurances on Pharaoh Seti we have seen him convert from traditional branches of Manism to Contemporary Manism, which itself recognizes slavery as abhorrent. He has disavowed slavery and joined me in designing many of the programs we're seeing implemented in Clysperis and it was with his knowledge that we have set forth what I hope will be a business and economic environment that sees former servants and the descendants of slaves be given every opportunity possible to succeed and thrive in Clysperis. I also believe that upcoming announcements outside of Clysperis will lend further credence to the nature of Clysperis as it walks upon this path.

I continue to look forward to the opportunity to speak with you.

Respectfully;

OOC: I do hope we're not waiting a RL six months on this. :D

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Paracambi

• Order Of The Pen
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Paracambi
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2022, 11:01:51 PM »
OOC- I don't intend to wait six months, however I also think it seems really odd ICly to just jump straight to being buddies or even talking.

With respect we have yet to see any of the long term impacts that your policies are to have. Commitment to them is vital and as such reports from nations like Tytor will need to be considered before we can make a decision about opening up diplomacy with your nation. In addition while the nation is citing oppurtunities will be given we must be confident that these are not just dangled like a carrot but are successful.

For now we shall maintain a watch over the situation but wish it luck.

Regards

Emperor Benson of Paracambi