Author Topic: Biseam visits EM  (Read 4200 times)

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
Biseam visits EM
« on: December 31, 2018, 03:00:09 PM »
The winter was kind to Northfort today, while the temperature was cold there was no wind and only a light frost lay on the ground. As David swept back his bedroom curtains his electronic assistant began reading out his appointments for the day. He looked at his watch and had plenty of time before the Biseam delegation arrived and so headed down and went on a short run around the Palace grounds, he'd have prefered for his niece to have been with him, she had a knack of motivating him when he began to feel his back stiffen. Having rounded the lake and gone up the family masoleuem he determined that was enough and jogged back towards the Palace. A quick shower and shave later he joined his daughter for breakfast. She was busy pushing cereal around in the bowl, "You OK sweetpea" David asked her as he picked up his stack of briefing notes from Quinn Germaine his Chief of Household.

"I feel icky" Rhiannon complained, she'd been moaning more and more recently but David knew why, she was due to spend the weekend with her mother and as it was a Formula Mundus weekend she knew they'd end up sitting around for hours cheering on Matilda's boyfriend. Rhiannon had tried to get out of the visits a few times now by saying she was ill but David had insisted that she go after all he wasn't going to deny Matilda time with her daughter despite the two parents not getting along.

"What's wrong this time?" David asked

"I feel like my belly is on a see saw and my arms hurt" she made a show of lifting her arms up in front of her but winced as they reached shoulder height before letting them flop back down beside her.

"That's because you've been doing so much extra sword practice over the new year school break." David explained, "It's your muscles repairing themselves, it means your getting stronger." Rhiannon didn't seemed pleased by the answer and continued moving the cereal around the bowl. "Look I have to go to work" he kissed her on the cheek. "You need to be a good girl for Mummy right? No repeats of fighting Crocodiles or anything promise."

Rhiannon mumbled "Promise" as her father kissed her once more before heading out to the waiting car.

"Morning Will" the King greeted his head of security as he entered the car, seconds later from the far side of the car Quinn joined him and began briefing him once more on the day ahead. "I know Quinn" David smiled, "I read your briefing paper. Pick them up from the airport, head over to the Temple District for the days photo oppurtunity, then back to the Palace, lunch and then talks." David summarised the itinery for the day.

"Very good Your Majesty" Quinn said without looking up from her binder. "But you forgot the uniform measurement before lunch, need you looking sharp for that wedding in Lodja" Quinn handed the King a few documents to sign, just routine things about promotions to senior military ranks.

Soon they arrived at King Robert International Airport and the vehicles ignored the main entrance instead making their way down to the special VIP terminal which was at the opposite side of the airfield to the main terminals. It was there that an Air Force honour guard waited already practising the guests national anthem as the King greeted their commanding officer. The King smiled, what looked like steam emanating from the assembled parade in the cold morning air. The band only stopped once it was confirmed the aircraft was incoming and once on the ground the King waited for the delegation to approach before out stretching his right hand. "Welcome to East Moreland. I trust you're trip was uneventful."

Offline Baal

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Baal System
Re: Biseam visits EM
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2019, 06:16:24 AM »
President Johannes Cheou Mayama had recently just touched down after flying Biseam Airways. HE made it to the Northfort. He was a rather tall man standing at 6’2 in his early 60’s and with dark jet-black hair with some silver strands throughout his hair line. He was wearing the usual conservative jet-black business suit. He was alone with only 10 secret service guards around him. He greeted King David II “Indeed it was your majesty. He answered as he shook the hand of King David. He then smiled lightly. "Ï must say I didn’t expect such a reception.”

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 09:17:06 PM »
King David had no idea where Mayama thought he was arriving, East Moreland was one of if not the most security conscious nations on Mundus, but the King didn't let his amusement show. "Please come this way." The King walked with the President to the waiting car and once inside waited for the vehicle to pull of. The car made its way through the small but modern suburbs of Northfort, for a capital city of a well established nation it was rather small, its heart still being the old medieval buildings. The city had a population of around 500,000 but felt much larger due to the twisting and turning nature of the cities roads. The Temple District was just on the edge of the medieval centre at one point being a small stroll outside the gates of the city however over the last 1000 years or so the city had spread and swelled to engulf the major temples. At the very centre of this district was Red roofed Temple of Helus. David waited for the car to stop and got out. "Every diplomatic visit passes through this district but we seldom stop and appreciate it." David said as the pair stood at the foot of the steps to the Temple.

Skye Maddix the Cult of Helus' High Priestess greeted them and extended a hand to the President as photographers snapped away. "Welcome to East Moreland" she said warmly, "I trust David is taking good care of you." To Skye it still felt awkward refering to the King by his first name only, but in the eyes of the monarch himself she was the voice of Helus on Mundus and that gave her great power. "Would you accept this as an offering for our best wishes." She handed over a simple ingot of iron, David began to explain quietly.

"The Cult of Helus sets as its highest commandment the need to defend those who can not defend themselves and for that every person must learn to not just use a sword but how to make it. Ingots of iron represent giving someone the ability to do that and so a kind of blessing." he explained as he and the High Priestess exchanged a warmer hug. "Now we have before us a decision." The King said as he stepped back, "We can linger here a little and let you explore, get back in the car and head to the Palace or if you're tired of being sat down the Palace itself is about half a mile up the road, we walk through the street we call Embassy Row, cut through People's Park and end up in the Palace grounds, we can check out where I hope you'd have an embassy soon yourself, but I do understand today is a tad cold." He made a play of rubbing his hands together.

Offline Baal

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 11:09:24 PM »
He graciously accepted the ingot from the priestess and thanked her. “I do like the overall feeling of this temple. Like something ancient but positive is lingering here. I would come back here later though. I must say the idea behind the ingot is rather fascinating, probably because I used to be rather good with the sword in my school days. We used to practice a lot with Kendo sticks however. It’s a different style to sword play but I’m sure the principles cross over, that however was a long time ago.” He said with a wistful chuckle

He then came to a decision which he told King David “Your majesty If we may. A walk would do me some good. I have been sitting throughout most of the day. These old legs can use a good stretch. Let’s go with the latter option. “He said with a smile on his face and his usual calm and soft spoken demeanor

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2019, 11:07:32 PM »
The King regretted offering the chance to walk, it wouldn't do his back any good but he wasn't about to do away with some of the traditions of the monarch walking among his people. "I think you may misunderstand East Moreland's swordsmanship, you see Kendo is a rather defined martial art, East Moreland Swordsmanship takes pieces from any sword based martial art and moulds it into one simple system, you fight to win. If you see Morelanders practicing you can expect to see a fair few dirty tricks. We kind of keep alive the idea that if your in a fair fight you didn't plan properly." The King was thinking proudly of the fact his nation had got their national past-time of the Medeival MMA into the Mundas Games, taking both Gold Medals, "Perhaps if you wish we can find a Medieval MMA show where you can see our swordsmanship in action?" David asked enthusiastically.

They reached a line of white brick fronted buildings, all almost identical. Three stories and with fancy porch type verandas, each had a small fenced driveway which was guarded by their national guards but it was also highly visible that the East Moreland Army had a visible prescence. "This is EMbassy Row, just behind them is the People's Park, one of the largest in East Moreland." he explained, "We've three or four empty buildings like this empty, so should we come to some kind of agreement over embassies then I'd hope you'd take one over." He took a turn and headed across the road towards the Lodjain embassy. He spoke in very slow disjoined Lodjain to the guards who smiled, saluted and opened the gate allowing the King and his party inside. The Lodjain ambassador was out of the embassy and David merely wanted to take a little short cut through to the park behind. It did however give his host an idea of what the embassies looked like. "I figured the Lodjains are a good group to ask to let us come through" the King said, "Plus they have an almost religious obsession with beauty and are always changing the artworks and decorations so I rather enjoy passing through." David noted a new large statue of Queen Klara and as he'd learnt from the staff here gave it a small bow as he passed. Out into the garden a rear gate gave access to the Park which was full of people strolling, playing games or just taking shortcuts like the King.

"We have two big events here every year, The Festival of Greenflowers on the 23rd of May, its the birthday in effect of our nation and we celebrate our victory and freedom from oppression. Its also my birthday" he chuckled, "perhaps a good luck omen. The second is Honeybadger Day, one of my ancestors in his wisdom discovered the creatures and believed they embody the perfect Morelander, intelligent, fierce to its enemies, protective and brave. He had several hundred released into the wild and.....well now I suspect their descendents will be greatly more numerous and wandering the countryside. We celebrate their introduction with a giant party here." The King could feel his back aching and so quietly made his way towards one of the kiosks in the park. "How about a spot of coffee, piece of cake even?" the King asked his guest as he watched the kiosk owner scurry about inside determined to make a good impression. "My daughter says this place has the best ice cream in the Park, I think she's addicted to the stuff." The King reassured the owner they didn't need to do anything, ordered a black coffee and a piece of Lemon Drizzle cake before waiting for Mayama. "So how does Northfort stack up to your capital?" David asked keen to start understanding his guest. "What celebration should I pop along and see?"

Offline Baal

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2019, 10:05:59 AM »
“Ah the Capital? Yes, the capital is Cheol?” President Mayama replied “It’s rather modern. High-rises everywhere, apartment complexes and business offices. It’s said to be the most crowded city in Biseam. Our is only 60 years old. We became a republic after we separated and quit being a Huiss colony and were given our independence. On the 8th of April we celebrate this anniversary, with fireworks and parades around the city of Cheol and other major towns. We have winter solstice at the end of the year, or what our Christian community calls Christmas. Of course, we have New years eve and new years day and the rotation of the lunar calendar every February, however the date changes every year, that’s met with fireworks and food festivals everywhere.” He then drank his coffee.

He then went on “Those are however only the nationally recognized ones, different regions and towns have their own festivals too. The major harbor city of Port Banhaander on the west coast of our nation is known for its fish, it celebrates this fact at the Adehaim Market within the centre of their city by having their commercial fisherman participate in a competition of who can catch the most and of course the winner go the spoils, that’s for a week. Needless to say that market gets rather busy. Many of our regional and rural communities like to celebrate changing of the season through various food festivals. Then there is the city of Shuto, it’s a city within the southern coast of the nation, it’s a major education centre and many university students like to hold this thing called ‘Hell Week’ where alcohol for students is half the price throughout the July periods when they finish their semester exams…I know this because…”

He then sighed in mild frustration. “Well your highness you are a parent, I’m sure you know how children can be with their first taste of freedom and low priced alchohol.” He said while remembering his son’s early days in the late 90’s to mid 2000’s when he was out partying with his friends and all the then Former Foreign Affairs Secretary and Now President Mayama had to clean up after.  He then switched the topic “I do like the look of the possible Biseam embassy. My nations diplomats should find it most excellent and convenient when its near the People’s Park, and great establishments with excellent coffe such as this.” 

He noticed the King was kind of struggling physically. But politely didn’t say anything or acknowledge it. He didn’t want to offend his host. Instead he will just let the King dictate their travel after all, President Mayama was a guest in King David’s East Moreland.

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 09:21:51 PM »
"Until we built Technology City on the South coast I'd never have imagined a city that young." David replied, "I've attended the Alanders Yule festival at the Winter Solstice, I wonder just how similar your festival is, because I have to say I rather enjoyed the Nordic Yule, so did Rhiannon but I think that was more down to the fact she got to ride in a sledge pulled by Reindeer. As for Hell week, well it reminds me of my own Freshers Week......what I recall of it." The King chuckled. "But Rhiannon isn't being allowed out the Palace anywhere near booze until she's at least......I reckon 40."

They finished their refreshment and a Black SUV turned up, one dispatched from the palace after a call from Quinn Germaine, the Kings Head of Household. She had begun to read the signs of when the King's back was playing up and figured this way he wouldn't publicly having to ask. "I think this is my staff's way of saying we're behind schedule" David held the door for Mayama before climbing in himself. "So once we get to the Palace we'll get down to proper business if thats OK." the car cut across a few cycle tracks through the park and reached a side gate of the Palace which opened up automatically. The car drove around the large lake at the rear of the Palace and pulled up at the rear terrace. The pair headed inside to the Palace as an aide handed the King a pile of papers, he read the top one and groaned, Rhiannon had been sick at school and Freya had picked her up. He'd check in a bit later to look in on her. The King headed through to his office, it looked out across the lake and had huge windows going almost from floor to roof in a bay shape, the Kings desk sat just in front of it with two large leather chairs on the guest side. The room was much larger than an office and had a small lounge merged into it, three black leather sofas and a glass coffee table, it was one of the King's favourite pieces of furniture having been made out of a spare engine from the SSC Honeybadger prototype. "Now. If we get down to business" the King sat in one of the sofas. "We need to discuss improving relations, trade and commerce between our nations and where that conversation goes has many paths. We have a long path which is where we sit and discuss things between ourselves, or a shorter one. The AKO and MICA already exist and I'd be thrilled knowing you were members. If your intention is to join them then our discussion is much shorter and we can look at how we build upon that foundation."

Offline Baal

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2019, 08:25:21 AM »
President Mayama politely replied "Certainly your majesty. Biseam has for a long time remained a peaceful and neutral country formed of the foreign policy initiative of armed neutrality. We have however always willing to extend our commercial and trade ties. THus this year we have signed on to be a member of MICA, there is still approval pending but we have lodged our papers and stated our intention for that agreement. THe AKO however many members of the Federal Diet have been debating that and have decided that joining the AKO as an associate member is a good way to at least dip our toe in the water. However I believe it will probably be at least another decade before Biseam decides to become a full member, depending on the policies of the next President."

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 09:37:17 PM »
David smiled, "Well then Mr.President it seems I have good news." David checked his tablet and then handed it over, "Article 2.1 states Any nation with access to the Mhorish or Illumic coastline may become a member of this organisation by agreeing to abide by its articles and aims. Any nations admission may be stopped should a motion to not admit be presented and supported by 75% of voting members. Now your application has not received any motions to not admit so I suppose that means I'm the first to say welcome to MICA." The King extended his hand. "Now the good news is that we now have tariffs removed, rules on tax and investment activities, visa free travel in some circumstances, active embassies, university visas, and I think.....no that's it." The King said. "As a result it obviously makes a treaty between us a little different. What I suggest is instead of a document creating these things, because clearly they already exist perhaps we should focus on doing two things. First making sure we've a fall back should MICA cease to exist, so perhaps a kind of mini treaty where we say that should MICA cease to control the relationship between us then we shall meet to make our own treaty but until one is agreed the agreements of MICA shall still exist between us. The second thing is I'd like to go beyond MICA so do you have any suggestions along those lines?" David asked. 

Offline Baal

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 08:45:02 AM »
President Mayama smiled “Ah an insurance policy. I see your majesty. I can be on board with that. So how would you go about doing this, go through parts of MICA and see what parts we want to keep and parts we don’t need? Because the visa free travel seems rather appealing. Many citizens of Biseam travel, work and study in East Moreland every year we may as well make it easy for them and vise versa for your citizens coming to our republic. Going beyond MICA? Your second question is that of a rather tricky one your highness. I mean are you looking for something a kin to a common market? As in having common external rules for tariffs? Or something like that in terms of universal trade rules that both or all members of MICA share when it comes to outside parties of the agreement? A common currency? Right now I am just gauging what your thoughts are, because if it is between our nations then I can agree to some of those things, but if going beyond MICA with the other members is your goal I will be more than happy to attend and give my support of the matter, we just need to know what that means for both EM and Biseam.”

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2019, 12:46:09 AM »
"My idea is pretty straight forward." King David began, "We put in place a very simple Article in a treaty between us, wording something like, "Both nations agree that should one leave MICA the articles of the treaty shall still exist between them for a minimum of 12 months or until the nations sign a new treaty between themselves, whichever comes first."

The King waited a moment or two to allow the President to consider those points while he himself thought about the stuff the President explained. "As for the other parts, we wouldn't wish to have our economy tied to another nation directly, things such as common currencies are not something I'd entertain, nor would common tariffs. I think perhaps having minimum agreed standards for things such as health and safety of products, food labelling and things such as that would be a good way forward as it would streamline trade between us. As for now I have no desire to expand what MICA does, I fear many nations don't view it the same way we do at the moment and don't truly use it to work with the others in the region." He hinted. "I think it important that nations are active in supporting each other beyond a piece of paper. The strongest agreement that East Moreland has is the CNN treaty, it was built on mutual love of sport, friendship between our monarchs and an interest in each others culture. I feel at present MICA isn't seeing the same level of interaction and I think perhaps we can fix that by being the examples. So perhaps you have some suggestions of your own."

Offline Baal

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2019, 08:27:42 AM »
President Mayama looked rather pensive with a few breif seconds of silence until he replied ""Would some kind of Free Trade Agreement and maybe some kind of Visa free or Visea ease of access program be a good start? As a means of dipping our toes in the water so to speak. I want to be sure that both nations are on the same page here. MICA as far as I know is a macrocosm of at least one of those things we have mentioned so llets break this down to the most common elements, the exchange of goods, services and possibly labour, although the latter is later down the line of course Would both of us fine that agreeable?" President Mayama replied with a soft smile.

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 10:20:13 PM »
"In regards to Free Trade Agreements we already have an agreement in place to remove tarrifs on goods that meet our local legal minimums, additionally we have visa free travel in place for 60 days. I believe this covers a lot of what you are asking, I have no issue with products from your nation coming in, nor services such as insurance and the like, it gives our citizens a broader choice and that drives down prices for them, something I can support. However free movement of labour is not something I can support. When I became King of East Moreland a lot of our young people struggled to find employment, we've done a lot to try and create new jobs but there is still work to be done. I don't think it would make me too popular suddenly opening up East Moreland for foreign labour to come in on a largely unrestricted basis. "

Offline Baal

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2019, 09:23:44 AM »
President Mayama nodded at King David's response with understanding "Fair enough, after all a duty of a ruler is to ensure the economic security of thier citizens so I have no objections to anything here. I suppose our only area of concern is opening up embassies. With MICA in place most of our basis for an agreement is already covered as well as the visa agreement and FTA's. Are there areas in which Biseam can provide East Moreland with further assurance? Such as possible military assistance agreements? Intelligence sharing? Extradition treaties?" President Mayama asked quizzically

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2019, 09:59:12 AM »
"I believe that those are perhaps two glaringly obvious omissions from MICA and putting in place something between us would be an excellent idea." David nodded, " As for military assistance I don't think that is something we necessarily need. My understanding is your close with Krimeon and her associated territories, that gives you a sizeable military support network and we have our CNN commitments. I think perhaps the intelligence sharing would be a great asset to both of us, however I would perhaps consider that this part of the treaty state that we are only obligated to do so in so far as the information would not damage our own national interests or that of our CNN partners. I know historically the Krimeon and Commonwealth of the Unified Iwi have not enjoyed favourable relationships and perhaps our Maori friends would not wish us to share intelligence we gather from them with someone who could then pass them on to the Krimeon government. For all I know you may have similar concerns regarding intelligence gained by you from Krimeon finding its way to the Maori through us. Finally as for extradition our stance is that we support all extradition as long as two conditions are meet, the first is evidence of a probable crime must be presented and the second is a trial that conforms to the MCUR standards of fairness, excluding torture, must be meet. I would be happy to put this in writing if you wish on a basis of reciprocation."

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Republic of Québec
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2019, 10:25:24 AM »
OOC: Apologies, normally I wouldn't do this as it's not part of RP etiquette but when misinterpreted information is conveyed..."I know historically the Krimeon and Commonwealth of the Unified Iwi have not enjoyed favourable relationships" which was based on this excerpt from the cancelled RP between Iwi and Krimeon "share many similarities, both good and harsh times"......

- I didn't exactly mean so, as If you take into account the entire context: "Our shared history together differ in several aspects yet share many similarities, both good and harsh times yet our diverse peoples have proven themselves to be of a force to reckon with, far more than what's expected despite being shackled at the hands of grim Imperialistic Powers." At the time when I wrote this it was more in terms of the sufferings and injustice that the peoples endured from Imperial Powers, namely Royal Seleucid and Ardian Empire. It's a matter of interpretation considering that's not what I tried to say

- Krimeon has never bothered Iwi in any way, supported its enemies or engaged in their slave trade. I would have discussed this with Ben OOCly otherwise.

You can make due of this revelation however you want as it's your RP in the end, but I stand by what is actual, current IC relations between Iwi and Krimeon.

Offline BenOfTheIwi

• Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: The Commonwealth of the Unified Iwi
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2019, 09:02:07 PM »
OOC: Apologies, normally I wouldn't do this as it's not part of RP etiquette but when misinterpreted information is conveyed..."I know historically the Krimeon and Commonwealth of the Unified Iwi have not enjoyed favourable relationships" which was based on this excerpt from the cancelled RP between Iwi and Krimeon "share many similarities, both good and harsh times"......

- I didn't exactly mean so, as If you take into account the entire context: "Our shared history together differ in several aspects yet share many similarities, both good and harsh times yet our diverse peoples have proven themselves to be of a force to reckon with, far more than what's expected despite being shackled at the hands of grim Imperialistic Powers." At the time when I wrote this it was more in terms of the sufferings and injustice that the peoples endured from Imperial Powers, namely Royal Seleucid and Ardian Empire. It's a matter of interpretation considering that's not what I tried to say

- Krimeon has never bothered Iwi in any way, supported its enemies or engaged in their slave trade. I would have discussed this with Ben OOCly otherwise.

You can make due of this revelation however you want as it's your RP in the end, but I stand by what is actual, current IC relations between Iwi and Krimeon.

Again apologise for hijacking. The Iwi issues are that for the best part of 250 years we were occupied by RS, brutally murdered and used for medical experiments. Krimeon did nothing. This made total sense when Krimeon was a nation smaller than Royal Seleucid, now Krimeon is over 5 times the size and has a military which would squish the Seleucid in short order, yet they did nothing. This is the same issue that The Iwi has with Xaeth but to a lesser degree. As far as I'm concerned the Maori would not look favourably on Krimeon at all.