Author Topic: MICA Meeting - 29 September 2019  (Read 4704 times)

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
MICA Meeting - 29 September 2019
« on: September 29, 2019, 09:06:33 PM »

To members of MICA.

It will not have escaped your attention that a fundemental shift in the region we call home has happened in recent days. It is my belief that this shift has in some ways undermined some of the work we have discussed in recent weeks regarding issues such as creating Rapid Response Responsiblity Areas (3RA). I believe that by discussing these issues and others in areas of concern our fellow members have that we can find a path forward ensuring that it is the people of the region who protect their homeland, benefit from its resources and enjoy its tranquility.

As such I would like to invite you to send representatives to Northfort Palace to discuss the future of this organisation.

May The Gods Watch Over You and Our Seas Be Calm

King David III of East Moreland.

The Palace had been made ready on this fine brisk autumn morning. The sky was crystal clear without a single cloud in the sky but it was the kind of day where you wouldn't want to be outside without your jacket. That hadn't stopped Rhiannon running around outside though. In an effort to make the Palace look its best piles of the red, brown and orange leaves from the trees that lined the canal had been gathered into heaps. Occasionally a single leaf would loop off the top with a breeze, and then suddenly they were all sent hurtling into the air as the Princess dived onto them giggling away. "Rhiannon....stop that immediatly" a stern voice called. She froze in her tracks and was pretty sure had she been mid air she'd have halted there too. "Come here." Her father's voice called her and she turned round knowing exactly what was in store.

"Sorry Vavma" she said her head lowered as she trudged through the slightly damp grass.

"People spent ages tidying this place up and you go and do that." David placed a hand on his daughters shoulder and turned her so she could see the piles of leaves she'd destroyed. A few dismayed gardeners watched as David crossed over to one of the trailers behind a quad bike and picked up a rake and handed it Rhiannon. "Get to work" he motioned and pointed towards the nearest mess she'd caused. The rake was bigger then her and she lacked the lengthy arms needed to control it. David watched her give up and just simply scoop the leaves back into a pile. He could see the gardeners chuckling at the site of the King overseeing his daughter gardening and once he was satisfied she'd learned a lesson he took hold of her hand and lead her back towards the Palace, his guests would be arriving soon. Rhiannon broke into a skip beside him as they finished their morning walk. Rhiannon headed back up to her room to feed Goldie and then go to school, David meanwhile changed his trousers, the bottoms caked in mud from the walk and then gave the conference room a quick glance over. Satisfied everything was set her bid Rhiannon a good day at school before waiting for the first arrival in the lounge overlooking the long gravel driveway that ran up the side of the lake where two swans glided majestically on the flat autumnal waters.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 10:29:22 PM by DaveIronside »

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Agira Latina
Re: MICA Meeting - 29 September 2019
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2019, 09:57:26 PM »
The Grand Duke was rather looking forward to a visit to Northfort Palace. He choose however not to head their directly instead preferring to make his way to the Temple of Melanor. He took half an hour or so to enjoy the sights of the Northfort temple and lay an offering of a book on the alter as he said a few prayers, perhaps once the MICA meeting was done he'd head to the central temple for the deity and thank them for their help in this matter. His soul satisfied he made the short walk to the Palace from East Moreland's Temple District. He had hoped to arrive first but it seemed the representatives from the Conglomerate had beat him to it. "Your Majesty, its a delight to meet you again" he bowed to the King. "Ms.Dentar" Hugo extended a soft hand towards the lady from the Conglomerate. He wasn't too happy with the way the fact MICA now had to deal with the Rokkenjimans and blamed the Conglomerate for that. "I look forward to us advancing MICA in many ways. I've a few suggestions of my own I hope you'll both allow me to present when time permits."    

Offline Yolotan

• Regional Power
  • Long live Vaguzia
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: The Kingdom of Vaguzia
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 12:47:02 AM »
Prince Théodore was sent to Northfort for the MICA meeting because Vincenzo had become very ill a few days ago and considering Théodore had done some Diplomatic stuff earlier, it wasnt expected to give him any difficulties. The stance of Théodore and the Vaguzian government on this was clear: The Rokkenjimans are not welcome and we will do everything in our power to not allow the Rokkenjimans to be permanently in the illumic, in the opinion of Vaguzia the 3RA plan had to be redesigned as well because the Conglomerate couldnt be trusted if they allowed Rokkenjimans into the Illumic. The car had now arrived at the royal palace and Théodore walked out of the car and thanked his driver. He now entered the palace and saw that the Grand Duke and representatives of the Conglomerate had arrived first. He first walked towards King David "Your majesty it is a pleasure to see you" he said in his fluent Morelandish to King David, the same he said in fluent Morelandish as well to the Grand Duke of Bakkermaya, at last but not least he greeted Dentar "Ms.Dentar, it is a pleasure to meet you."

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2019, 08:43:30 PM »
As David was preparing to kick things off he noticed a vehicle heading down the road but something seemed odd about it. Despite the crisp cold weather of the day the car had its convertable roof down and as it neared the sound of music could be heard. The King stood and looked out of the bay window and sighed slightly, it was President Elwes of Zimalia. The man soon entered the room wrapped in a large coat made out of some fur David thought it was probably a good thing that his now ex-wife wasn't here. It was then that his eyes were drawn to the fact that Elwes was carrying something under his arm, an apologetic shrug from Quinn Germaine in the outer office indicating she'd tried to keep it outside. David looked and was surprised to see the object squirming and wriggling before letting out a little cat like yelp. "King David" Elwes extended a giant hand towards the Morelander who in a state of shock accepted it. "I have heard how your little daughter is now healing and wanted to bring her a present to cheer her up but your office lady tells me she is at school." Elwes placed a tiny Cheetah cub on the King's desk. "She is only a few weeks old, I know your girl has some desert fox thing so maybe make sure her new Cheetah does not eat it yes." He playfully patted the King on the arm, nonchelantly dropped his fur coat in the middle of the floor before pouring himself a black coffee. "Prince Theodore, Grand Duke Hugo, Lead Officer Dentar." Elwes extended the giant paw to each before dropping himself into one of the lounges low black leather sofas.

David had just about regained his composure as the tiny Cheetah seemed to investigate his desk knocking over the pen tidy. "Quinn can you pop in." He buzzed through the intercom. "Can you please take President Elwes gift to the stables." He couldn't think of anywhere better for the animal to go and Quinn would sort things out. The baby cat now gone David headed over to the sofas. "I'm sure Rhiannon will be thankful for the gift" He wasn't sure what else to say so prepared to get down to business.

"I called this meeting because I'm sure we'll all agree the last few weeks have seen a fundamental change in the region. Over the last few months I have tried to put together a plan that would allow members of MICA to better co-operate and ensure the security and harmony of the whole region. By the creation of a series of Rapid Reaction Responsibility Areas we would have had an infastructure in place that would have permitted MICA nations, based on their military capabilities and geographical positions assume a leading role in the security and safety of a set area. This was never designed to stop our forces criss crossing large areas but it made it very clear that should an incident happen in a region a chain of command that we all agreed to allowing a swift and appropriate response. That has now changed as we have a nation now present in the MICA region that has no geographical region under its command but has in the past felt it reasonable to take measures in the region."

"and use the region to further its agenda" Elwes interupted before returning to his coffee.

"Regardless, at one time Rokkenjima did serve as a positive force in the region. We then ourselves experienced them taking repeated action without informing us despite an agreement being in place. Now it would seem that measure is changing as they at least had the good grace to inform us of their deal with The Conglomerate before announcing it to the world. But now it would seem The Conglomerate are giving them a mandate for operations which may not be consistent with what MICA has agreed in the guise of the 3RA's. What I hope to achieve here today is a form of co-operation driven by the native MICA nations that we shall present to Rokkenjima which makes it clear to them the desires of the nations in the region." David finished.

"Personally I think they need to leave" Elwes began, " I suspect The Conglomerate will cite contracts and other nonsense and that outcome will not happen. I want then an agreement like Seaforth imposed on Rokkenjima. No Mhorish or Illumic bases to be used for offensive Rokkenjiman operations."

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2019, 09:27:43 PM »
"Essentially then in one fell swoop MICA's 3RA programme has been rendered obsolete. The idea was to have one nation assume responsibility and be answerable for all operations to protect shipping and safety in a zone. To co-ordinate in the best way possible assets in their zone in response to any situation. Now the issue is we now have a nation that is not a MICA member with assets in the region operating to the beat of their own drum. I had asked for clarification on the status of Rokkenjima among this approach however I have simply been told that Rokkenjima will effectively do as it wishes. With that being clear we now have assets that could well ignore the instructions of a 3RA approach. As such I am left with no choice other than to propose one of two things happens. The first is we need assurance that Rokkenjima will operate out of the bases in accordance with this system or the system needs to be scrapped. Also President Elwes asked for the possibility of an agreement the likes of which Seaforth had with Rokkenjima in that no offensive operations will take place from these bases without the approval of your nation. Perhaps you would like to clarify these stances otherwise there is little point this meeting going further." David explained.

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2019, 09:35:51 AM »
David felt like banging his head across the table clearly this officer didn't understand how the 3RA system worked. "It doesn't matter about the non-member nations. The 3RA system was put in place to divide the Mhorish and Illumic up into sections ignoring their waters as prescribed by the FSC. As a result we would normally have seen for example Morelander merchant traffic passing say 210 nautical miles from the Himeyan States relying on having some chance of a nearby vessel coming to its aid should say pirates interfere. There would be no obligation for any nation other than us as a flagged state to intervene. What the 3RA system did was ensure that in that case more than likely the incident would have happened in a zone belonging to either Bakkermaya or Vaguzia and they would be treaty obliged to intervene. Now the issue is you say you have contracted Rokkenjima to ensure the safety of merchant shipping from nations flagged by you. So therefore what happens when these ships enter the Bakkermayan area for example? If what your saying is the Rokkenjiman fleet have been given clearance from you to go wherever you are electing to essentially make the 3RA system redundant. As for allowing Rokkenjima entry into this organisation that is old ground. They are not a native nation to the MICA regions. Now should Rishiri wish to enter MICA they are permitted to apply. After all even the Rokkenjiman government see them as a sovereign entity as they are a flagged nation in terms of treaties regarding naval vessels[1], thus making them capable of entering into negotiation as an entity. So let us not confuse a Rokkenjiman presence operating out of a leased base with their territory in Rishiri."
 1. Ocean liners operating under the Rokkenjiman or Rishiri Flags shall be granted the use of Xæth's capable ports and may take on fuel and other provisions at fair market values.

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2019, 08:32:28 PM »
Lascelles sat and listened. "Let me be clear. I did not come here to listen to us being told what a treaty between The Conglomerate and the Rokkenjimans contains. We've all read it and frankly I think the fact it exists shows a huge disrespect to this organisation. This organisation was established so that the nations in this region could work together and shoulder their fair share of ensuring mutual prosperity. Instead rather than promoting the people of the Mhorish and Illumic controlling the destiny of the region we are now expected, without any input, to simply accept Rokkenjiman ships transversing our region undertaking joint patrols with your ships. May I ask why when you negotiated the treaty not a single mention of MICA is included? Why did for example the Conglomerate not think it a good idea to amke Article III something like

In the sake of safety and security of passing goods and people through the Mhorish, Illumic, Krimeon and Kyne Seas, The Conglomerate and First Empire of Rokkenjima agree to anchor a long-standing cooperation for managing common patrols along exercises in the said regions for ensuring the neutrality of the maritime routes, along a direct connexion between both military headquarters to ensure proper communication. This shall be in accordance with the Conglomerates MICA obligations

"By doing that you would have still maintained your position with the Rokkenjimans but actively ensured that the members of this organisation that were willing to open their nations up to your people felt at ease. Furthermore to sit here and suggest that the flag issue is insignificant because it was done for "economic concerns" is irrelevent. The very first article of this organisation states clearly "Any nation with access to the Mhorish or Illumic coastline may become a member of this organisation by agreeing to abide by its articles and aims. " Meanwhile Article 94 of the FSC states

Quote from: UNCLOS aka FSC quote, included whole article as didn't want to be accused of cherry picking.)

1. Every State shall effectively exercise its jurisdiction and control in administrative, technical and social matters over ships flying its flag.

2. In particular every State shall:
(a) maintain a register of ships containing the names and particulars of ships flying its flag, except those which are excluded from generally accepted international regulations on account of their small size; and

(b) assume jurisdiction under its internal law over each ship flying its flag and its master, officers and crew in respect of administrative, technical and social matters concerning the ship.

3. Every State shall take such measures for ships flying its flag as are necessary to ensure safety at sea with regard, inter alia, to:

(a) the construction, equipment and seaworthiness of ships;
(b) the manning of ships, labour conditions and the training of crews, taking into account the applicable international instruments;
(c) the use of signals, the maintenance of communications and the prevention of collisions.

4. Such measures shall include those necessary to ensure:

(a) that each ship, before registration and thereafter at appropriateintervals, is surveyed by a qualified surveyor of ships, and has on board such charts, nautical publications and navigational equipment and instruments as are appropriate for the safe navigation of the ship;

(b) that each ship is in the charge of a master and officers who possess appropriate qualifications, in particular in seamanship, navigation, communications and marine engineering, and that the crew is appropriate in qualification and numbers for the type, size, machinery and equipment of the ship;

(c) that the master, officers and, to the extent appropriate, the crew are fully conversant with and required to observe the applicable international regulations concerning the safety of life at sea, the prevention of collisions, the prevention, reduction and control of marine pollution, and the maintenance of communications by radio.

5. In taking the measures called for in paragraphs 3 and 4 each State is required to conform to generally accepted international regulations, procedures and practices and to take any steps which may be necessary to secure their observance.

6. A State which has clear grounds to believe that proper jurisdiction and control with respect to a ship have not been exercised may report the facts to the flag State. Upon receiving such a report, the flag State shall investigate the matter and, if appropriate, take any action necessary to remedy the situation.

7. Each State shall cause an inquiry to be held by or before a suitably qualified person or persons into every marine casualty or incident of navigation on the high seas involving a ship flying its flag and causing loss of life or serious injury to nationals of another State or serious damage to ships or installations of another State or to the marine environment. The flag State and the other State shall cooperate in the conduct of any inquiry held by that other State into any such marine casualty or incident of navigation.

"Now the fact there are ships operating with the Rishiri flag meaning it is Rishiri who are ultimately responsible for enforcing the FSC not Rokkenjima. However I have a further issue. If there are vessels sailing around with the Rishiri flag on them then they are not bound by the FSC. If as you say Rishiri is simply short hand for Rokkenjima why do we have a situation where they feel the need to operate ships with two flags? One in the FSC and one outside of it? If Rokkenjima truly had the interests of the region at heart they would ensure that their vessels complied with the FSC. Rishiri is therefore a loop hole for them in one extent and by the fact it is not bound to follow the same laws, regulations and rules as Rokkenjima by being its own flagged state that in my view is enough to say that Rishiri and Rokkenjima have elected themselves to be treated as two seperate entities. Should Rishiri wish to join MICA I would welcome their proposal but only after they have signed up as a flagged state to the FSC. As Rokkenjima simply effectively rent land in the region I do not believe they fit the criteria for membership, especially as they have so far been seen to be unwilling to work with this agency through the treaty you have agreed with them."

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2019, 10:25:19 PM »
"You say that you will make certain that the system is respected. Sadly this idea of respect is one that we have seen eroded in some capacities in the past. We would like to see some agreement from you tenants that they will follow this, as their land lord so to speak it is up to you to determine the limits of their lease and it is this that we have been wanting you to focus on. Additionally you say they have as a sole authority the remit to ensure freedom of trade. There is nothing I am aware of however that will prevent Rokkenjima from utilising these bases as forward operations bases for offensive military operations in the area, operations that could take place without the nations native from the region agreeing. This was a condition put down when these bases essentially existed in Seaforth and I see no reason why that same promise couldn't be given now. Rokkenjima are, at least in the East Moreland view, not suitable for membership of this organisation at this time. They have been asked to leave one members nation, threatened military action against another and terminated a long standing treaty with ourselves. There is a famine of trust you could say. Giving those reassurances would be a step towards ending that. Now if you are about to say this is not possible then there is not much we can do to move these talks forward."

« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 07:43:20 PM by DaveIronside »

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2019, 10:38:14 AM »
The Grand Duke waited for the King to finish.

"I would be more inclined to see a bright future if The Conglomerate say now that they will support this organisation as a unit asking Rokkenjima to sign the following guarantee.

Quote from: Guarantee

Recognising that the Rokkenjiman military are operating out of bases in the region in which they are effectively invited guests the Rokkenjiman military of all branches agree to the following.

1) They will comply fully with and support the standard operating procedures laid out by MICA under their 3RA directive. Notably that the MICA region is divided up into zones of responsibility for which the co-ordination of responses to emergencies, attacks or other matters requiring additional attention is allocated to a member nation.

2) That the Rokkenjiman military will stay out of nations allocated EEZ's with the following exceptions.

a) Peacefully transiting to or from a base of operations.
b) are taking part in operations as outlined by the 3RA system
c) are responding to a distress call
d) have prior permission from the sovereign nation in question.

"As an organisation I believe that we should jointly release a statement that these are the ideas we support. Furthermore it sends a message that this organisation enjoys the trust and support of The Conglomerate to do exactly what this organisation stated it was formed to do, namely ensure the security of the region."

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2019, 01:58:15 PM »
"This approach has our support"

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2019, 09:49:22 PM »
"I'll make this simple" Lascelles began. "This proposal is what is on the table. It is something we agree to and negotiating it is not really what we want. You claim Rishiri is a problem. Well they are seperate to Rokkenjima in flagging their vessels so must be treated as seperate. Therefore Rokkenjima are guests in the region, Rishiri are in my view a foreign presence but one that is established.[1] If Rokkenjima want to be part of this organisation they would need to do two things. First gain the support of those around the table, they have not got that from ourselves nor judging on their comments today East Moreland, Zimalia and an undetermined stance from Vaguzia. By refusing the proposal we put forward they are going to remain unsupported I suspect. Now if they somehow did manage to join MICA they would have to abide by the terms of the proposal anyway, so if they refuse it then they are not ready to work with the organisation. Beside the second article is just Rokkenjima publically confirming that in the Mhorish and Illumic they will abide by the FSC, a treaty they have publically advocated for on several occasions. It would be like asking a Morelander if they want a sword, a Heyran if they like wine. Therefore I propose that it is offered as a take it or leave it supported by the membership of MICA."
 1. OOC - I know Beatrice has since changed the flagging issue but this meeting took place prior to that.

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2019, 11:49:26 AM »
"I see two potential solutions. If they're willing The Conglomerate can put this offer to Rokkenjima and request their acceptance. If that is something they believe is either unfeasible or if they are unwilling then I suggest as an organisation we put this matter to a vote and if the majority accept we release this a statement to Rokkenjima as MICA. The point is we now have a feasible suggestion for a way forward and discussing it further isn't going to get us anywhere."

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2019, 07:44:13 PM »
"There are four possible words that can be used to describe nations in the region, the first is native, a nation that has centuries old roots in the region. Essentially those of us around this table. Then there are threats, people who have used force to establish a foot hold in the region. We then have transients, people passing through and we could further break these down into friendly and unfriendly. Finally we have guests, people invited to be here by one of us around this table. The key test is simple, if a nation is present in the Illumic but can be asked to leave they are a guest. Should for some reason The Conglomerate wish to end its arrangement with Rokkenjima it may do so. We can spend all day discussing semantics but it is now clear that we will not find a wording we all agree on. As such all that is left is the manner on which to deliver that message, The Conglomerate have declined to be the mailman so to speak and so now I believe that a joint statement by this organisation is the best way forward. I therefore put forward the following suggestion.

Quote from: Proposed statement

Following recent discussions between members of MICA one important point was repeatedly brought up and that was the situation of a Rokkenjiman prescence within the region. While it is clear that The Conglomerate have acted within their rights leasing bases to Rokkenjima it is a situation that could potentially disrupt carefully crafted MICA protocols. As such following a vote of the membership we ask Rokkenjima to provide clarity on their intentions within the Mhorish and Illumic regions by affirming the following.

Recognising that the Rokkenjiman military are operating out of bases in the region in which they are effectively invited guests the Rokkenjiman military of all branches agree to the following.

1) They will comply fully with and support the standard operating procedures laid out by MICA under their 3RA directive. Notably that the MICA region is divided up into zones of responsibility for which the co-ordination of responses to emergencies, attacks or other matters requiring additional attention is allocated to a member nation.

2) That the Rokkenjiman military will stay out of nations allocated EEZ's with the following exceptions.

a) Peacefully transiting to or from a base of operations.
b) are taking part in operations as outlined by the 3RA system
c) are responding to a distress call
d) have prior permission from the sovereign nation in question.

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2019, 07:46:54 PM »
East Moreland support the statement

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2019, 07:15:10 PM »
OOC- The following nations are members

The Kingdom of East Moreland
The Kingdom of Vaguzia
Kingdom of Seaforth
The Conglomerate
The Tribal Union of Zimalia
The Grand Duchy of Bakkermaya

Four needed for a yes vote. I'm assuming Zimalia are going to vote yes based on their views from earlier on. I'll leave that to Dave to determine.

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2019, 07:33:03 PM »
Zimalia agree to the Bakkermaya proposal.

Offline Yolotan

• Regional Power
  • Long live Vaguzia
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: The Kingdom of Vaguzia
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2020, 08:54:48 PM »
Vaguzia supports the statement

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2020, 09:09:10 PM »
"The Kingdom of Seaforth would like to see the wording call for the dismissal of Rokkenjima from the region, but while we've expansionists ourselves in the region trading territory here for territory elsewhere there sadly is not a lot we can do. As it stands the proposal is the best approach we've got. Frankly I find it an insult that Heyra believe we need a foreign fleet to keep the region safe, its not 2010 anymore where none of us spoke. We've a damn good submarine navy in Seaforth, the Morelanders don't exactly stand on ceremony and Vaguzia aren't slouches, we could between just a pair of us in this room secure the region more than adequately. For now though send the message." The Seaforthian concluded.

"With a majority agreeing to the statement I shall get it sent then" David concluded. "Is there any more business people wish to discuss now we've got that matter out the way."