Author Topic: CTO Debate - Dissolution of the CO 2.0  (Read 2064 times)

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
CTO Debate - Dissolution of the CO 2.0
« on: May 19, 2020, 02:50:07 PM »
GENERAL ASSEMBLY SUBMISSION FORM
Formal Name of Submitting Nation(s): Head of the Commonwealth Civil Service and the Commonwealth Counsel
Nations involved: All CTO Nations
Title of Submission: Motion to Dissolve the Commonwealth Treaty Organisation
Draft Resolution:

Commonwealth Treaty Organisation
General Assembly Resolution

Resolution [XXXX]
Adopted by the General Assembly on [Date]

General Assembly,

Aware of the issues that have blighted the organisation post CTOMM,

Understanding the reasons why member nations have acted outside of the organisations purview,

Concerned that the willingness of the organisation to act has been shown only by a minority of the membership,

Further concerned that such inaction by the majority of the membership has damaged the organisations reputation internationally,

Believing that the organisations reputation, standing and credibility is terminally damaged by such inaction

Acts as follows:

1. Dissolves the Commonwealth Treaty Organisation effective as of midnight on the 1st of July 2020.

2. Agrees that should this resolution pass that steps be taken, in advance of the dissolution, to ensure the continuation of the subsidiary organisations - the Mundus Health Organisation, Mundus Refugee Council and the Mundus Crime Agency in some form.

3. Devolves the authority enshrined in article 25 of the Commonwealth Treaty to the relevant bodies/groups.

4. Extends its thanks to Tim Carpenter, Birgit Strand, Empress Evanthe Rhodes, Crown Princess Serenity Azurewind, Lord Joseph Cornwallis and Sheriff Sakura Sheppard for serving as Secretary General.

5. Thanks Doctor Duvall and subsequently Doctor Byrne for serving as Lead Health Advisor of the MHO, Melissa Lusk for serving as chair of the Refugee Council and Amber Duff for serving as Chief Constable of the Mundus Crime Agency.

Any other details: I could provide a detailed breakdown of a few things to support the need to get rid of the CTO but I won't because ICly they are well known. In practical terms if the CTO is not being used and continues to not act when faced with situations that it was meant to be able to deal with then it simply has no purpose. It is brought in this form because the CTO can only cease to exist by means of a CTO resolution and it does need to be voted on because of the relationship the CTO has with other organisations, alliances and treaties. Should the resolution pass then the CTO would cease to exist as per article 1 and we would then have to before the dissolutionindependently establish the subsidiary organisations for example I imagine the refugee council would be rolled into the IRSA.

Note: Depending on length of debate the date stipulated in article 1 may be altered.

Usual convention applies of a minimum three day debate and then vote.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 04:06:11 PM by Achkaerin »

Offline Tytor

• Regional Power
  • All the world's a stage...
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Tytor
Re: CTO Debate - Dissolution of the CO 2.0
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 01:29:06 AM »
Tytorian CTO representative Blake Stevenson took the floor first.  "The Kingdom of Tytor wishes to express its opposition to this proposed resolution," he said, "There is, admittedly, much that can be said in favor of dissolution, but there is also much that can be said against the same.  The Commonwealth Treaty Organization, though presently of little consequence in the world, has the potential to become a powerful force for world peace, a symbol of international unity in troubled times, and a beacon of hope for those who suffer under whatever burden they may be called to bear.  Therefore, the Kingdom of Tytor believes that the answer to the Commonwealth Treaty Organization's current lack of efficacy is not dissolution, but reformation.  If this resolution does not pass, it is the intention of the Kingdom of Tytor to propose measures intended to bring the Commonwealth Treaty Organization back to its intended purpose.  Let us not act to destroy the progress that has been made on the past, but rather let us build upon what we have, so that this Organization, and the world it was meant to serve, may be better for it."

OOC: I fully recognize the frustrations people have with the CTO.  It's a great idea that has never really worked the way it was meant to.  But the sentiments expressed here by Stevenson are my own; we can take what we have and make it better, without need for throwing it all away.  In fact, I kind of resent this resolution proposal; as Achkaerin is not, last I checked, a CTO member, there is little cause for anyone associated with Achkaerin to be proposing the CTO's dissolution.  In fact, I would argue that each of the crises mentioned on Discord as things the CTO has done nothing about are things the Head of the Commonwealth Civil Service and the Commonwealth Counsel could be submitting resolutions on, especially if the very dissolution of the Organization is a valid subject for action by the same.  So, yeah, let's not get carried away here.  Sure, I'll admit that I've not been the best at remembering the CTO, but it doesn't help things for everyone who does remember it to do nothing but complain instead of working to build involvement.  We have the beginnings of a great thing here; let's stop wasting it.
His Majesty Michael the First, by the Grace of God, King of Tytor and her Colonies, and Lord Protector of Floodwater

Factbook -- News -- Press Office

Former Governor-General of The Infinite Alliance
Former Ambassador to Albion and the Global Right Alliance
Former Vice Premier and Speaker of the Senate of the Independent Order
Professional Procrastinator

Non-partisan and proud of it

"A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Beatrice/Rokkenjima
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 08:06:23 AM »
"The First Empire will not cast a vote to dissolve the Commonwealth Treaty Organisation. While there are issues which must be addressed it is the full intents of Empress Evanthe to work alongside her Tytorian counterparts, and fellow Commonwealth members, to move beyond this present period of malaise. With that being said, the First Empire is eager to see those ideas held by the Kingdom toward the betterment of the Commonwealth in restoring its position within the community of nations."

Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of the Independent Order
Empress of the First Empire of Rokkenjima

Factbook of the First Empire of Rokkenjima - Kingdom of Clysperis

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 11:28:28 AM »
OOC- I'm gonna say this OOCly because it needs saying. The CTO being reformed isn't going to solve the issue here, OOCly theoretically you can all say "We'll use it more."  but that misses the point, the CTO has at the moment I think three active members (Rokk, Tytor and Lakh) any resolution that the organisation comes up with is therefore only going to bind those three hardly what anyone might call effective, the IC apathy of the CTO and the fact that in the main only two nations actually followed through on actions has meant that the overwhelming majority of the membership has left.

So if we're going to have a UN style org then starting from a clean slate is surely preferable - why flog an ICly tainted organisation with three active members when you could do it from scratch and get a much larger membership? Honestly we're well past the point of this being about tweaking the current charter. I seriously don't see why it has to be the CTO or the CMA, why not get rid of both and simply start a new one that doesn't have the tainted IC legacy?

Offline Tytor

• Regional Power
  • All the world's a stage...
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Tytor
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2020, 09:56:37 PM »
"Thank you.  With that in mind, the Kingdom of Tytor moves to dismiss this resolution without further ado."
His Majesty Michael the First, by the Grace of God, King of Tytor and her Colonies, and Lord Protector of Floodwater

Factbook -- News -- Press Office

Former Governor-General of The Infinite Alliance
Former Ambassador to Albion and the Global Right Alliance
Former Vice Premier and Speaker of the Senate of the Independent Order
Professional Procrastinator

Non-partisan and proud of it

"A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire