Author Topic: Imperial News Service (Ikhan; ARCHIVE)  (Read 2089 times)

Offline Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
  • Boldly staying where everyone has gone before
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: The Empire of DaitoTIO
Imperial News Service (Ikhan; ARCHIVE)
« on: December 24, 2020, 10:37:31 PM »
This thread will be used to catalogue news stories from Ikhan during the 20th and early 21st century that came out before the primary thread was released. These posts are to be treated as history and as such largely not relevant to the modern day except as references to events mentioned elsewhere. For stories from the present, please go to: https://independentorder.net/index.php?topic=1826.0

Offline Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
04-16-1967
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2020, 05:38:52 AM »
Zhakan 1 takes flight!

Zhakan 1 launches aboard a L-4 Rocket

The Ikhani National Aerospace Research Organization has announced the successful launch of the Zhakan 1 satellite, which is now orbiting the globe at six kilometers each second. Sources within the organization claim it's current orbit puts it at around 4,700 kilometers above Mundus, where it will conduct research on the planet's ionosphere, though it was primarily to test the launch vehicle. INARO's director, Erel Sikat, was quoted as saying "This flight, while a success, is only the first step..." and "...We hope to one day be able to launch again by the end of next month, seeing as we have a backup prepared in case this one had failed."

His Imperial Majesty, Erel VI Vahram as well as Prime Minister Ashir were quick to congratulate the organization on this momentous occasion, with the former planning to attend the next flight in person if time allows it.

The Zhakan 1 spacecraft

If conditions hold up, it is expected that the Zhakan 2 spacecraft will launch next month on the 26th from Artsiv Air Force Base in Rusan. The Imperial News Service will provide coverage of the flight, as it has this one. Stay tuned.

OOC NOTE: This post is dated as being April 16th, 1967. Like other posts in this thread, outside of being used as a reference for historical events, this should be disregarded as news from the present day. Think of it in a similar light to other news archives one might see on youtube.

Offline Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
07-03-1976
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2020, 05:54:25 PM »
The Emperor has died

His Imperial Majesty, the Shaotas Eshva

My fellow citizens, I have the regrettable duty of informing you that His Imperial Majesty, the Shaotas Eshva, has passed away. The Imperial Family has informed us that he had been suffering from pancreatic cancer since 1967, which has provided us with an answer as to why he has made fewer and fewer appearances in the public since then. His Imperial Majesty, Arkan V Vahram, has released the following statement regarding his death:
            "Today, we received news that my father, the Emperor... had died. While it was his wish that his diagnosis be kept away from the public, I knew from the day it was given that I was going to have to take the throne very soon. Today marks the fulfillment of the chain of events that it set in motion. Now, I speak to you, my fellow citizens, as the new Emperor. I know not where the road will lead, but I hope that together, we may see it through in it's entirety. Long live the Emperor! Long live the Empire!"
Please stand as we play the Imperial Anthem in honour of His Lordship, Arkan V Vahram ve Sherkoz. Long may he reign!

Shaiha kasin eni sha tei;
Eshe si, kat eshai, tinak keis han nivori hat
Khes kasi inasi vakhas ori vitek nahvat
Tero vasai imin khoro nei khi.

Offline Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
10-13-1988
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2020, 05:40:53 AM »
INS Arkan Vakhet Launched

INS Arkan Vakhet under construction, 1987

The INS Akran Vakhet, first of the Eshai-class of aircraft carriers, was launched earlier today. The carrier, laid down in 1984, faced several delays due to budgetary cuts throughout the project. The carrier, which is designed to replace the Ikan-class of "Aircraft cruisers", is the first full aircraft carrier to be built by the Ishkot shipyards since mid-1950s. It is anticipated that it's sister-ship, the INS Khorai Sharos, will launch in early 1990, bolstering the defense of the nation immensely. The INS Arkan Vakhet is set to begin sea-trials by mid-1989, with the deadline for it's commissioning being set for the 6th of August, 1993. During this period, it will fall under the command of Rear Admiral Varen Kosai-Isan, after which it will likely become the flagship of Ikhan's Kynean fleet.

Rear Admiral Varen Kosai-Isan

The Ministry of Defense has, at this time, not confirmed whether it intends to build further ships of the Eshai-class after the Khorai Sharos launches.

Offline Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
Re: Imperial News Service (Ikhan; ARCHIVE)
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2021, 10:37:56 PM »
Ishkot commemorates the Uprising

The 25th anniversary of the Ishkot Uprising was celebrated today, with denizens of the city gathering together to remember the 200 days during which the city, isolated behind Ardian lines, threw off the shackles of foreign oppressors and successfully held the city until relief from troops of the 3rd Armored Division and 7th Andreši Guards Division. As a part of this celebration, the Call of Freedom, an 85 meter tall statue made of pre-stressed concrete with wire ropes, as well as a blade made of stainless steel. Construction began in 1961 and was completed two months ago, but until today, it had not been formally dedicated. Governor Viras had the following to say during the dedication ceremony:
Today, as we gather together in commemoration of the 200 days when we stood in defiance against the Ardian aggressors, we remember the sacrifice of the ten-thousand slain. We honour the price paid by our soldiers, both in the Imperial Army and Free Army, as they fought with tooth and nail around the clock to save our homes. Today, we dedicate this new colossus, a memorial to their sacrifice and a reminder that we will always fight to preserve our freedom! You, the people of Ishkot, are an example unto the world, showing that those who fight can bring freedom to their lands!"
(Pictured: the "Call of Freedom" overlooking Ishkot)

Offline Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
01-09-1971
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2021, 07:28:23 AM »
Interview with a Zharai

Good evening. We had the opportunity to sit down for an interview with Erel Makran, Four-time Senator for the province of Kitenai, Ambassador, Zharai, and nephew of Esik Viras. Erel recently celebrated his 90th birthday, yet he somewhat remains an active voice within politics even though he retired in 1961, occasionally advising Prime Ministers on matters of diplomacy.
(Note: For the purposes of this post, "I:" is the interviewer and "E:" is the interviewed individual)

I: "Thank you for coming on."

E: "The pleasure's mine, shall we begin?"

I: "Straight to the point, huh. Anyways, as we know, you fought during the First Great War. What was it like?"

E: "Simply put: Not great. Lost a lot of good men back then, including my father... Battle off the Akarasin Archipelago, I think? I only found out two weeks later while I was on leave."

I: "I'm sorry if I caused you to remember it."

E: "No, no. It's fine. Sure, it was a nasty sort of business, but that was it: Business. We had a job to do, so we had to get on and do it."

I: "In that case, you have any stories you'd like to tell?"

E: "Oh, sure. Plenty, but I don't want to keep you."

I: "It'd mean a lot... For future generations, you know."

E: "Alright. Well, it was, some time in 1917, June or July I think. Was sitting in my dugout some sixteen kilometers northwest of Taiki. Now, for a bit of context we'd been under frequent raids for weeks at this point, just probing our defenses, see where we were at our weakest. I'd volunteered to stand watch alongside a few of my men, and we'd been having a good laugh. I forget what it was about, much as I hate to admit it. But then, out of the corner of my eye, I see something, no, someone approaching from across No Man's Land. Some poor Ardian sod had drawn a short rod and been sent out for recon, by the looks of it, but we couldn't tell if he was going to stop in a shell hole."

I: "Then what happened?"

E: "We saw him continue his approach, presumably to get a better look at us. Then a gunshot rang out. I had shot him square in the chest without even thinking. He staggered forwards maybe a foot or two, slowly as he clutched the now gaping wound before collapsing. Every so often, I get to thinking about the family he might've had, never to be seen by him again and of how, if he'd simply turned away, he might've been able to return to his lines unharmed."

I: "So you regret it then?"

E: "Oh, yes. Most definitely. Think of it like this: He'd been coming from his own lines into our lines, and he was wearing his uniform. Didn't even stray, so I, naturally, shot him to protect my own lads. Now, I feel very sorry for 'im; he was only a kid, y'know. I'm so very sorry that I did shoot him, as it happens."

I: "How- How many people do you think you did kill during the war?"

E: "More than my fair share in a lifetime. At least twenty, probably more that I can't remember. At least... At least I can say I'm still 'ere. *laughter* Still alive, I hope."

I: "Another question, if I may?"

E: "Go ahead, I got plenty of time."

I: "Would you say it was worth it? The war?"

E: "Oh, no. If we'd known the Ardian state would've collapsed in a few more years, we would've just waited and peacefully reunified with our brothers in the west."

I: "I mean in terms of the cost, was it worth it?"

E: "Definitely not. In general, war's something which should be avoided at all costs. Was it necessary from the viewpoint of the time? Sure, after all, we didn't know the future. Can't read the writing on the wall until it's been completed. But let me tell you, if I were called up again, even if I were getting younger, I'd never go. Not me. Never again."

I: "One last question: What are your thoughts on the conflict over in Rusan?"

E: "It was inevitable from the moment ol' Ikir seized power back in '41, if we're being completely honest. Completely unnecessary for both sides to be fighting when negotiations would've worked much better. I don't doubt now, that once the war is won, which lets be honest it will at this rate, there's gonna be deep scars on the island that won't heal for at least thirty, maybe forty years."

I: "Thank you for your time."

(OOC Note: This post is set on the 9th of January, 1971 and is not a present event)