Author Topic: MAEA Contacting Jugland  (Read 1740 times)

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Agira Latina
MAEA Contacting Jugland
« on: July 03, 2021, 09:38:25 PM »
To:-The Government of Jugland

Having recently seen reports in the Juglander Review that your nation is considering its future in terms of energy production it was brought to my attention that your nation is not yet a member of MAEA and that some "minor differences on organizational principles" are preventing this I would like to hold discussions with you. As the Chief of Staff of the MAEA it is my job the ensure the smooth running of the organisation and as a result I believe that with careful discussion we can find a path forward. With this in mind I would be grateful if you could find the time to meet with myself and the MAEA President Dr.Ulf Gren. I seriously believe that the MAEA would make excellent partners for Jugland in helping you develop your energy needs.

Best Regards
Duchess Anna Davison
Chief of Staff of MAEA

Online paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Mktvartvelo (primary nation)
Re: MAEA Contacting Jugland
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2021, 10:20:56 PM »

Private communication

To Mundus Atomic Energy Agency
From Federal Union of Jugland

The Federal Union of Jugland will be glad to receive a delegation from the MAEA in Midtenstadt, capital city of the Federal Union of Jugland, to discuss any possible cooperation and dialogue between both sides regarding that issue that you mentioned in your message as well as any other issue you would be interested to discuss directly.

Yours sincerely,
Secretary Burkhardt Kvalheim
National Council, Federal Union of Jugland

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2021, 09:48:41 PM »
Anna was for once a little nervous. Her previous stabs at international diplomacy had gone well but was backed by her good friend Grand Duke Hugo Lascelles. This time though she only had the support of an organisation, and that was an organisation that had got off to a shaky start, first with the issue of nuclear subs to Tytor and then the whole debacle that surrounded the allocation of the HQ. The Treaty of Wellow was one that few nations would find difficult to not support in some way, however the MAEA had taken on both issues of their content and their membership at infancy.

With her was Dr.Ulf Gren. While the Alander scientist was the President of the organisation he would be making decisions on science related matters however by the sounds of things Jugland's concerns, if the media were correct, were more focused on the administrative side of things and so the pair had agreeed that Anna would take the lead.

Upon arrived the Duchess took the lead and found their contact. "Good morning, Duchess Anna Davidson, Chief of Staff of the MAEA and my friend her is Dr.Ulf Grun, the President. I believe we are expected."

Online paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 12:01:38 PM »

"Welcome to Jugland, Duchess, President", Hilda Skolem told them. They were the first foreign guests to directly visit the Midtenstadt International Airport. "They are expecting you in the National Council building", she explained. "If you would mind to follow me", she added while they moved through the halls of the airport, the third largest in Jugland.

"I hope you had a pleasant flight", Hilda added, once their car started to move.

Burkhardt Kvalheim, Secretary of Foreign Affairs and President of the National Council, as it is called the federal government of the Federal Union of Jugland, was already waiting them in the stairs of the building.

"Welcome", Kvalheim said. "It's a pleasure to meet you", he said, once they were formally introduced. "I hope your visit will be constructive for both sides".

"If you need anything before the meeting, just let me know", he added as they walked through the halls of the building. "Everything is ready, of course, but we have any time at your disposal. There is no need to hurry up anything, after all".

Once they arrived to the main room where the meeting was expected to take place, Kvalheim introduced them to Grimwaldyna Nygaard, the Secretary of Justice and Federal Affairs, and Johannes Skouen, the Secretary of Transport, Energy and Communications. Although Jugland's relaunched civil nuclear program was started during Eadwald Engelsaas administration, it was put into practice after the establishment of the Department of Energy.

"Nice to meet you", they both said. They were offered to sit down along to large sofas in the middle of the room. The room had been decorated moderately austere, but with a detailed moulding and a luminous atmosphere.

"As you requested the meeting", Kvalheim inquiried, "is there any question you may have, or any clarification and/or point you would like to start this meeting?", he asked to their relatively unexpected guests.

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2021, 09:33:37 PM »
Anna had been the one to push the President of the MAEA towards this meeting. It would be what she hoped would be the first of many. It had been happy circumstance that the Jugland media had printed what they had when they had. "First of all Secretary Kvalheim thank you for this opportunity. In regards to starting these talks our purpose is clear, by the end of it I would like to have begun down a path which concludes with Jugland joining the MAEA and seeing the benefits of nuclear power generation. Now in a recent media article I believe a member of your government said you had not yet joined the Agency because of "minor differences on organizational principles". The MAEA is a newborn in many regards. As its chief administrator I believe I can help us overcome those differences. Therefore perhaps a strong foundation to build from is one where Jugland explain where they think these differences occur. We can then move on to fix them."

Online paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2021, 05:56:48 PM »

"First to all", Secretary Kvalheim, replied "we wish well to your organization, as we believe that it has a loable aim that, if achieved, it will make Mundus a better and safer place. We offer our cooperation, even if we do not eventually join your agency, because we share that aim that gave birth to your Agency".

"You're right", Kvalheim continued. "Even if not always media outlets are able to translate into words -even more when they do translate it to other languages-, we try to be honest about such policies, like energy or cooperation or integration in international organizations, because it is my view that a wide enough concensus is required to build a long-term stability that they required to give fruits".

"Regarding the topic you mention", he added, "while I understand that the complexity and the dangers, and even threats, that nuclear energy entails, we are rather skeptical that whole world commerce is done through an international agency. While nuclear energy is quite a particular sector, that is unprecedented for most economic activity, even more, as you already mentioned, that the Agency is a newborn organization and there are still a large number of nations that haven't joined yet -according to my own understanding- the Agency, even if I recognize some of the most important nations of Mundus have already joined it or expressed support for the project. Besides that, as I would say, we would always offer our cooperation with the Agency to contribute to the safety of such important activity worldwide".

"I recognize, however", he finished, "that the organizational and operational framework proposed by your Agency could be very attractive for nations that would like a fresh start in peaceful nuclear energy program, of course, but it may pose some logistical obstacles to other that have already started that path. But in any case, we are gladly willing to listen your proposals and views on this issue".

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2021, 09:27:00 PM »
"Let us take a theoretical example of Jugland making their first nuclear power station. They begin planning today but we all know the process will take at best years[1] to come to fruition. If today the decision was made where to build it would take months before anything even partly nuclear was needed. For the sake of this example lets imagine Jugland are buying their nuclear fuel from Bakkermaya. All that would happen is Jugland and Bakkermaya would inform the MAEA that they'd done a deal. As Article 3.5 states "Any nation willing to abide by all articles of this treaty shall be considered members and granted all the rights and responsibilities contained within it." therefore Jugland's MAEA staff would liase with Bakkermaya's MAEA staff to ensure the transfer was done securely. Paperwork of the sale submitted to the MAEA would in effect be a duplicate of what exists between the two nations. The 14 day period before a transfer can take place will see the Jugland MAEA, and any observers from MAEA take the materials, and once the 14 days are up they can be transfered to the Jugland nuclear power plant being constructed. Now in massive construction projects such as this the schedules are planned months ahead of schedule and as such the 14 day period can be built in. Therefore I don't believe being a member of the MAEA is likely to cause any issues in terms of administration of these projects."

Anna took a pause before beginning, "Now with the impressive list of nations already a member I think we can account for some of Mundus' greatest scientific nations. Add to that we've East Moreland and Achkaerin who have just completed what could be considered the most ambitious transfer of nuclear material in the history of Mundus, they are clearly the best positioned to help and advise on that front. You see what we bring that outsiders to the MAEA don't is a wealth of experience, infrastructure and technological know how. Take Rokkenjima for example they are offering nations back up to construct power stations that will be state of the art, East Moreland have a wealth of nuclear material because of their "kilotonnes to kilowatts" project, in theory once a member I suspect the process could begin tomorrow. Heading to say a nation like Fleur will first see you have to negotiate a deal with them, then locate the nuclear material, negotiate another deal, work out how to make the transfer and then make everything work from scratch. Lot more expensive and time consuming. " 
 1. RP time being the messed up way it is take that as months ;)

Online paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2021, 11:34:30 PM »

"That was precisely my understanding of the process", Secretary Kvalheim replied, "but thank you for being able to clarify and explain it so clearly and sharply".

"I have no doubt your organization is likely to have a bright and promising future", Kvalheim continued. "As I said before, I'm convinced that for any nation which would decide to explore and develop nuclear energy for civilian purposes, joining your organization and asking assistance to some of the nations you mentioned through such well-planned protocol is likely the best option. However, nuclear energy is not entirely new for our technicians and companies, and we carefully considered all the necessary circumstances, including organizational needs and logistics, before we launched our nuclear energy program months ago. I can assure that we will consider your offer and assistance seriously before taking a final decision, of course, as it is not a simply decision and it is our belief that energy policy should be viewed as a long-term investment and therefore have enough consensus but, in either case, we will be offering our cooperation so we can contribute to the ends of your organization, that we certainly share".

"About the efficiency of the process reviewed and established by the MAEA, we have certainly no doubts", Secretary Johannes Skouen intervened. "However, I personally found striking that for an organization that wishes to manage a whole economic activity at a worldwide level, if your organization secure its position, only a majority voting is required as organizational method. It is not that I believe that such system was originally adopted by other reason that to build an organization that enshrines both a required level of efficiency and flexibility, as well as following democratic and plurality principles, but in my view, there would be always risks -even if I don't consider that neither you nor the main governments you mentioned had such in mind- that it could be used, eventually, for more politically motivated decisions, rather than for purely technical ones as well as the honorable aims that your organization was created for. So I'm curious about your views on this issue".

"It is not that we believe such risk exists, of course", Secretary Grimwaldyna Nygaard added, "but in order to make an informed decision, we need to carefully consider every point of view. While I am pleased to say that I can see more clearly the benefits of such organization as yours, it is still a decision which would take some time, as you may understand".

Offline RobertAgira

• Order Of The Pen
  • World Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2021, 08:45:03 PM »
"The reason for majority voting was to attempt to prevent the blocs such as the CNN and CSTO from having undue influence. By having a super majority it would ensure any large group of nations banding together for political reasons could halt those unaligned nations like yourself from ever making changes. At present for example the CNN control 30% of the vote directly, with Cantabria being effectively a Ui Cenneslaig protectorate that makes it 40%. If we had for example a proposal put forward to stop Royal Seleucid from being able to acquire nuclear energy for electrical generation then we could in theory see the Morelanders oppose this if they were being politically bent on revenge for the way the Cultists were treated long ago. If say a 70% majority were needed for any decision they could manipulate things so as to block them receiving support. A simple majority vote prevents that. Now it is vital that we dilute down the influence of the big power blocs, and this is where you come in. The more non aligned nations we have inside the organisation the less of a risk there is of it becoming a political weapon to be used for petty differences. "

Online paralipomena

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2021, 12:24:51 AM »

"I understand the reasoning, of course", Secretary Johannes Skouen replied. "However, as it is currently, I feel it wouldn't be too complicated for two of those blocks to shift the organization from its original purpose to their own goals. And it is certainly understandable that the founders of your organization were probably more motivated about the necessity to make such organization operational, of course, but it is difficult not to see that blocks of nations as you mention have close to a de facto right to veto, while non aligned nations would be relatively powerless by their own. You're right that the powers will probably eventually dilute as the organizations grows, but in my view, this will not help much non-aligned nations to avoid a wrong turn in the organization".

"In any case", Secretary Skouen added, "this would not bee our main objection to your organization, of course, but an organizational principle worthy to mention".