Author Topic: Fit to Strike  (Read 5609 times)

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
Fit to Strike
« on: January 29, 2018, 08:45:52 PM »
Grace Yacobs had spent the last two hours frantically searching every piece of the new data, it had arrived out of the blue at around 6am, and they had no idea how long it would be avaliable before the owners pulled it from the public domain, and that would make their life a lot more difficult. Around her teams of analysts rushed between their own cubicles and the more higher up ones offices, calls of who was covering each area went over Grace's head as she sat in the dark of her own office the feint glow of two computer screens illuminating her face as she gazed between the two.

"Grace, you seen the Swanwick area?" a relatively junior member of the team stuck his head around the door.

"Looking now, we could be on to something.....I'll keep looking, you make sure we get double copies of everything." Her phone buzzed next to her and she picked them up and glanced at the screen before casually putting it aside, there was nothing she could do about the message, all of that was too late but what she could get from the screens in front of her would make up for any of the bad news they'd just received. Thirty minutes later the tall blonde intelligence agent stood and leaving her shoes behind under the desk scurried out her office, along the corridor and straight into her commanders office. "Steve, I think I've got it."

Steve Askew, the Deputy Chief of the National Intelligence Agency had several junior agents around him each attaching labels to maps and drawing his attention to various aerial photographs. "Grace, I'm a little busy, the Lakhzovia stuff has just come in." he gestured to the map in front of him.

"Screw that, wait til you see what I've got" she brushed the map casually aside and placed her own document on the table, a colour print of the screens back in her office.

"What the hell is it?" Steve picked the first up and examined it, a series of lines making a kind of star shape from a central point, the red wasn't uniform, and in places appeared to be, the one next to it was an old aerial photo dated to 2012. "Grace you better start filling me in on what has you so excited." he slumped in his chair wheeling himself closer as he motioned for the various juniors to leave, they gathered their maps, labels and coffee cups before heading out.

"You see those fitness tracker companies have released heat maps of the world based on people's movements, we started checking them as we figured they could show military base layout, they did but nothing compromising, it was patrol patterns however in the Alps that became obvious. I've phoned Mum...I mean General Yacobs and their issuing a general order banning fitness trackers, nothing we can do about that now, but we can change the routes and things......but that gave me an idea, if the Borlanders could potentially trace our patrols then we can trace them."

"So that's this map?" he tapped on the black and red map, suddenly it began making sense, at least a little more to him. "What you find?" he inched closer to the table and examined the second image of the Alps taken by one of their regular aerial photography runs of the area. 

"Well we began running heavy duty uses in the Alps, at first we got lots of the popular ski and hiking runs, next we got some of the mines and bigger farms, but then we got that. It's the old Chaom Mining Company HQ, it's got similar patterns to the operations bases in the Alps used by our patrols." she waited a moment and the news seemed to please her boss as Steve leaned back in his chair a smile on his face. "Steve....I need a Sentinel and a Red Legion team."

"Oh, you'll get it alright" Steve reached towards the phone on his desk and within an hour a high flying sentinel overflew the site at high altitude its optical systems revealing the old mining operation beneath them. The hills around the place became home to eight Red Legionnaires who, using sophisticated optical equipment where watching people move backwards and forewards between the buildings, each with an assault rifle over their shoulders. Several pick up trucks, their rears containing various pieces of equipment clearly visible came and went from the site. After an hour of observing the sound of gunfire could be heard and the tell tale flash of muzzle fire could be seen in one of the old tunnels, clearly an improvised firing range.

By midday they had all the information they needed and back in Northfort Grace, Steve and Minister of Defence Harry Samuelson sat watching the images on a slideshow, Grace narrating the scene before them. "I know that guy" Harry pointed to the screen, names Giles Heywood, he was a guy we once caught in the Alps trading with the Borlanders, investigations revealed he'd been allowing them to store weapons at his property and he used his position as a farmer to buy them large amounts of fertiliser that was used to make bombs. When they went to arrest him he'd disappeared. A search of his house saw a variety of comms equipment and code books, bastards a Borlander."

"Well that saves me a job" Grace grinned, she had planned to start running the various face through recognition software but this gentleman, who seemed to be constantly surrounded by the others as though dishing out orders was the one she was most interested in. "So, what do we do?" Grace asked.

The reply came at just after 3pm, a single Jekars Chariot Bomber picked up confirmation of its targets being illuminated by the Red Legionnaires, one by one in quick succession the various bombs were deployed, each riding a different laser beam to their target. The staff back in Grace's office watched as the impacts caused bright flashes on their viewing screen as the images relayed back by a EMAC AutoDragon provided a live feed. Suddenly a massive flash showed where a fuel depot went up, the room cheered, all but Grace who watched the IR Strobes of the Red Legionnaires move in as the last bomb went off. They now had audio as the team began describing what they found, it took them a good hour to recce the sight taking pictures and feeding them back in real time, by then Steve had returned to his office and Grace joined him. "Operation Running Strike was a complete success, we've about fifteen dead Borlanders, another four in custody although not likely to make the transfer to a medical centre, and put around ten vehicles out of service. All in all a good days work."

"Well done Grace, guess we have to take the gifts when they come." The whole fitness tracker data was creating controversy, was it a breach of privacy or did the company own the data, that debate was no concern of Grace's as she'd got everything she needed.

"Well, I have a few more tricks up my sleeve, what would you say if I could tell you I've found the routes of four more Borlanders on their run..." before she could continue Steve interupted.

"If we've spotted the data and pulled our patrols, chances are the Borlanders know this can be a problem and they've done likewise." Steve explained.

"Your right, problem is they don't know that we know their Borlanders and I reckon I may even have home addresses." Grace was pretty confident that the new data sifting that was going on would mean they could get these people and if they could, well a real message could be sent.

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
Re: Fit to Strike
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 09:01:13 PM »
OOC- wasn't entirely sure where to put this, figured here as it's the relevant subject.

This was a rarity, usually when it came to matters of National Security the Emperor talked mainly to his National Security Advisor or failing that his deputy, but this was something so important that he'd called for a meeting with not only his National Security Advisor but relevant members of the Achkaerinese Intelligence bodies, Cabinet and his own staff. There was also a military lawyer in attendance. They were sat around an oaken round table in the Marble Palace, the wall had a lage screen on it, while smaller monitors were also around the room, to put it simply this was where the Emperor held his most important meetings when things were looking serious, there had been times where it had seemed like they were living in the room such had been the number of crises that they'd been looking at. Standing in front of the large screen was Lieutenant Evan Hansen, an officer of the Achkaerin Air Force assigned to the Military Defence Initiative as Senior Threat Analyst, which meant that it was his job to assess the danger posed by various things, usually these were terrorist groups but here he was delivering an assessment of the threat posed by these fitness trackers, well more specifically the data that those trackers had revealed.

"It's bad to say the least." Evan said "These heat maps detail a number of high security facilities across Mundus, mapped by tracing the routes of military personnel wearing the trackers. We've overlaid building schematics of our facilities with the heat maps and the detail is verified. It gets worse for us as well I'm afraid, one of the heat maps showed a very confined cluster in the Great Northern Ocean, after an overlay following date and time we found that it was the INS Djana Azurewind. This opens up significant possibilities to those who would wish the nations of Mundus harm, seeming unthinkable options are now on the table. Banning the use of fitness trackers within the military will mean that moving forward this can't happen again, but any bad guy for want of a better term now has the ability to see what our patrol routes around our facilities are, even what our naval patrol routes are, and that's before we come back to the maps of the facilities themselves. We can redefine patrol routes over time but redesigning facilities is something else entirely. It's a terrorists dream come true, one things for certain however we haven't heard the last of this."

"Especially if Shadows of Mundus have copies of these maps." Rion Ayanami said "Which we have to assume they do lest we get bitten by not taking it seriously."
"Which is why we've increased the security around our secure facilities." Emperor Peter said "Anything else?"
"Yes." Rion said "This crisis while dangerous also presents an opportunity."
"You're not serious." Adam Sheppard, the Minister of Defence said he could see where Rion was going with her train of thought, if Shadows of Mundus had backups then why not take advantage of that fact?
"Deadly." Rion said "It's too valuable an opportunity to pass up."
"Mark? Sally?" Peter asked he was looking at Mark Sharpe his National Security Advisor and Sally Barkley the director of Achkaerinese Intelligence "Thoughts?"
"Rion's right." Mark said "The reward is huge if we can pull it off."
"I agree." Sally said, adjusting her glasses as we spoke "The question is how would you do it?"
"Let me worry about that." Rion said
"Kara?" Peter asked looking at Lieutenant Colonel Kara Thornton, the operational commander of the Military Defence Initiative.
"My job is protecting the nation." Kara said "What Rion's proposing would significantly increase the MDI's capability to do that."
"Very well." Sally said "Rion you find a way of doing this without it coming back on us, then present me with the details and we'll see."

"Any immediate recommendations?" Peter asked
"Raise the terror threat level." Kara said "We have to believe that an attack is possible given what we have to assume, plus overreacting and looking stupid is preferable to doing nothing and something happening."
"I agree." Mark said "Our duty is to protect our citizens."
"Do it." Peter said "Commander legalities?"
"Well sir." Commander Andrew Conway said "This will ultimately come down to whether the images constitute a breach of national security. The military thinks it does, the company has announced it is pulling the images down so there's no contention of this implication though I doubt it was the company's intention to compromise the military's of nations in this way. However should something happen we can potentially pursue charges against the company if for example a terrorist attack was planned and executed on let's say PAMB then we could argue in court about criminal culpability."
"So for now?" Peter asked
"For now Your Majesty this is at worst recklessness brought on by negligence." Andrew said "I would advise meeting with the company concerned and trying to avoid a major public interest bust up."
"Understood. Thank you everyone for your time, that'll be all for now." Peter said "Commander Conway inform your superiors to proceed as you recommended."
"Yes sir." Andrew said

They departed the room
"Peter." Rion asked, as a former head of Royal Security she was used to addressing the Emperor by his first name "Can I borrow Alex for this?"
"Of course." Peter said "She'll be working somewhere go find her."
"Thanks." Rion said.
"Make this work and I owe you a drink." Peter said
"Aelmoor whisky." Rion said