Author Topic: The Collected Writings of the Cult of Helus  (Read 2648 times)

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
The Collected Writings of the Cult of Helus
« on: August 16, 2018, 09:27:02 PM »
The Cult of Helus is the native faith of East Moreland, it has spread only slightly beyond that's nation borders, many experts believe this is because of how tightly the faith is connected geographically with the Kingdom of East Moreland as well as the connection the faith has with the royal family of that nation with them being believed to be the descendent of Raimond Unasson, the most beloved of Helus' human soldiers against the Underlords.

The Faith follows four series of books.

1. The Codes - A series of rules and guides passed from the Gods. This is summarised into the Code of Canley which forms the basis of the faith today.

2. The Shield - A series of passages spoken by the Gods themselves and recorded by the survivors of the war between humanity and the Underlords.

3. The Sword - A series of prayers, poems and stories written by the human companions of the Gods during the war with the Underlords.

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
Re: The Collected Writings of the Cult of Helus
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 09:32:42 PM »

A series of rules and guides passed from the Gods. This is summarised into the Code of Canley which forms the basis of the faith today.

Quote from: Spoken by Helus
Only the truth that in life we have spoken,
Only the seed that in life we have sown.
These shall pass onwards when we are forgotten,
Only remembered for what we have done.

Advice given by the Chief God, Helus, about the importance of the virtues of honesty, raising children and the need for good deeds. This has lead in modern times to the belief in "Gesture Politics" in East Moreland which essentially means what a person/nation does is what is important not the words they speak.

The only creatures I owe my loyalty to are those who never made me question theirs.

Appears as part of a discussion between Jekar and Helus when Helus originally refused to defend humanity.

Loyalty to an unjust cause is a perversion of honour.

Advice given to an early King on Mundus by Helus when he was disguised in human form.

Quote from: Rolaf describing what happens when someone dies

Be mindful of your deeds for when your time comes you shall stand before me and a horde of your ancestors. You must look each squarely in the face and tell them how you left your family name in a better place than you found it. Even this is a test of your honour for I know the words you should speak and even now at the moment of your judgement you must be truthful.

It is believed that when a person dies Rolaf sits in judgement of their life and whether they have followed the Codes. Anyone thought to have broken them is cast out with the Underlords who punish them for eternity.

Quote from: Teachings of Marissa

One who has no love in his heart will try to possess everything for himself. One who has love in his heart is ready to sacrifice everything, including his own body, for the benefit of others.

Marissa explains why selflessness is important and many scholars point to this passage as the reason why Morelanders "sacrifice" food before meals.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 09:47:05 PM by DaveIronside »

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 09:36:43 PM »

A series of passages spoken by the Gods themselves and recorded by the survivors of the war between humanity and the Underlords.

Quote from: Jekar's Mantra
Stay low go fast
Kill first die last
one thrust one kill
no luck  all skill

Jekar's Mantra is advice given by the God of War to a group of humans before they attacked the Underlords. It has since been used by the East Moreland military.

Quote from: Jekar

The duty of a soldier is not to cover himself in glory. A soldiers duty is to fight for those unable to defend themselves.

Part of a speech given by Jekar as he prepared Unasson's group for battle using swords for the first time.

Quote from: Jekar

The place where you make your stand never mattered. Only that you were there and still on your feet.

Spoken by Jekar to Unasson's armies in the early days of the war against the Underlords.

Quote from: Frossaj

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake.

Frossaj warning of people who manipulate through what they say.

Quote from: Frossaj to Jekar
Do actions agree with words? There's your measure of reliability. Never confine yourself to the words.”

The pair where discussing whether Unasson was a trustworthy person to be taught the secrets of swordsmanship.

Quote from: Marissa explaining her decision to fight the Underlords

Only a fool wants war, but once a war starts then it cannot be fought half-heartedly. It cannot even be fought with regret, but must be waged with a savage joy in defeating the enemy, and it is that savage joy that inspires our bards to write their greatest songs about love and war.

Marissa was the first of the Gods to join Jekar in opposing the Underlords. She explained her decision to the other Gods including Helus who lusted after her beauty.

Quote from: Frossaj twenty years after the war with the Underlords when addressing the children of the survivors

You stand here today - in the shadow of your parents' and grandparents' accomplishments - because of their willingness to sacrifice and look to your future. You owe them the greatest of honours - to leave a better world than you found.

Frossaj appeared to a group of humans twenty years after the war with the Underlords having witnessed some of them beginning to stray from the path of the Cult.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 09:50:31 PM by DaveIronside »

Offline DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 09:38:01 PM »

A series of prayers, poems and stories written by the human companions of the Gods during the war with the Underlords.

Quote from: Raimond Unasson
If the cost is the loss of a life, then let it be my loss and not that of my brother. For it is he I fight for. It is he that I will die for.

Said by Raimond Unasson the evening before the final battle with the Underlords. Unasson was mortally wounded in the final moments of the battle laying down his life to save Helus from the most powerful of the Underlords.

Quote from: Raimond Unasson's Battle Prayer
Lord Helus, whatever comes
Make me steadfast, make me rooted
An Oak planted firm, deeply grounded in Your goodness
Be my bedrock, keep me steady
Loyal to Your throne, whatever stands against me
Whatever comes.

The last few free humans and the 7 Gods had gathered at where Northfort stands today and waited to face the Underlord horde. This is the prayer Raimond said as the thundering of the Underlords feet from hundreds of miles away could be felt.

Quote from: Agatha Unasson
Nothing is impossible
Every chain is breakable
With You, we are victorious
You are stronger than our hearts
You are greater than the dark

In the days following the death of her husband Raimond Unasson it was left to Agatha and the handful of surviving humans to free those who had been caged by the Underlords and return them to Mundus. The Dark refers to both the physical darkness brought by the Underlords but also evil.

Quote from:  The Battle Belongs to Helus, by one of the surviving Human

Let our praises remind all the darkness
Of how great and how mighty Helus is
For the battle belongs to him and no one else
We are standing in holy defiance
We're declaring aloud in the silence
That the battle belongs to Helus and no one else

A poem written by one of those who witnessed Helus turn the tide of battle against the Underlords at Northfort.

Quote from: Raimond Unasson describes why he will not leave Northfort

Our ancestors formed this land. They took it and made it and held it. We do not give up what our ancestors gave us nor do we crave more than they had. They came  and they fought evil here, and they built here and they died here. This is our land, mixed with our blood, strengthened with our bone

Speaking about the importance of the land on which he dwelt. It is this passage that has seen modern East Moreland so determined to not lose any territory nor add to its own lands.

Quote from: Spoken by Stephen Unasson, son of Raimond Unasson

No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave. We inherit honour from our parents and we must hold it high against all else to see it never fall, life therefore must be one of giving not taking.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2018, 09:53:58 PM by DaveIronside »