Author Topic: Chapterhouse Lectures Q & A  (Read 5106 times)

Offline Libby

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Lodja/Kaitaine
Chapterhouse Lectures Q & A
« on: October 07, 2018, 06:59:09 PM »
Ask questions to Musaevna Kadyrov, First (and only) Wife of Morad Kadyrov, The "face" and visible head of Kadyrov Industries and Kadyrov family as a whole (her husband rarely appears in public), Fashion designer, philanthropist from Tamora.

Offline Libby

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
Re: Chapterhouse Lectures Q & A
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2018, 07:10:10 PM »
Sarah Curran, recently graduated Missionara "If your banks don't charge interest where do they get their funds to continue to grow and invest in businesses, property and various other conditions. Has the system limited the range of banks in your nation."

Alisha Parrish, junior scholar in the Missionara "If you say that people should fight against things that their religion sees as morally bad what happens if the laws of a nation disagree with the laws of your faith. If I may give an example, we've seen recently the Vodou faith gain publicity and they see it as part of their faith to ritually sacrifice animals to give the meat to the poor and needy. Nobody would disagree that charity was a bad thing, but what if that ritual process goes against the nations laws such as has been pronounced in Lodja? Which takes precident, the faith, espeically if your a non native minoirty or the nations laws?"

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Samantra
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2018, 08:53:06 PM »
"If your banks don't charge interest where do they get their funds to continue to grow and invest in businesses, property and various other conditions. Has the system limited the range of banks in your nation."

"That is a good question. Our bank get their funds from those that save and deposit money at the bank. Tamora does not have a public welfare system or a public pension system and people naturally save money from young age. So our banks have money but they grow at the rate the people save. "
"Has this affected our banks in terms of growth? Yes, the banking is not as large as you would expect it to be for an economy the size of Tamora's. And the limitation is not necessary just because of lack of funds to lend but it's not such a profitable business as in other countries. Don't get me wrong, our banks don't struggle, they turn a profit but it's nothing compared to foreign banks. In on other countries banks make most of their money from lending, here they make most of it from the other services they provide. "
"I would also like to add just one more thing, and this is related to my lecture. If you're religious, if you believe strongly in your faith and that some things shouldn't be done they aren't moral then you've probably noticed by now that others can get ahead in life by not respecting the same moral code. So maybe our banking system, smaller, safer and more adverse to risk taking is actually making us less rich and developed than we could be if we had one that doesn't follow our moral code but it's a result of our choice to put God and his laws first and wealth second. And emphasize second and not set aside. People want to be rich in Tamora, just not rich at any cost."

"If you say that people should fight against things that their religion sees as morally bad what happens if the laws of a nation disagree with the laws of your faith. If I may give an example, we've seen recently the Vodou faith gain publicity and they see it as part of their faith to ritually sacrifice animals to give the meat to the poor and needy. Nobody would disagree that charity was a bad thing, but what if that ritual process goes against the nations laws such as has been pronounced in Lodja? Which takes precident, the faith, espeically if your a non native minoirty or the nations laws?"

"Another good question, you have really good teachers here."

"Let's start with the easer one. For the native, majority religion, which comes first? faith or national law. And that's easy: faith, every single time. In fact, most likely there is something wrong with that law if it hinders you from practicing your faith. I mean, why do we have a government? I can't speak for other countries but for us it's to protect us from outside threats and make sure we can practice our religion in peace."

"Now if a foreign religion were to gain a wide following in our empire and they'd have some unusual practices, as long as they do not engage in violence against us I don't see why the authorities should intervene, that's something we the faithful can solve. We have very few laws in the first place and I doubt any of them would hinder their practices but if such a law would exist then it would have to go I guess."

"In your case specifically, it seems to me that Lodja has too many laws. Why would they care how the Vodou cut their animals? It's their animals to do as they see fit. The Voodo believers would be right to be upset about it."   

Offline Libby

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2018, 09:10:22 PM »
Alisha stood once more. "Laws essentially are often a formalisation of a social code accepted by the majority of citizens. For example once it was customary in many places that if a person was killed the family of the deceased could claim vengeance against those that carried it on. I believe their are still customs in some faiths that put things like honour killings as being a positive and permissible act. These however fly in the face of national laws that state that murder is not permitted. What we see in Lodja is a case where their social code has been formalised into a law where animals have to be humanly slaughtered as they are a gift from their Goddess, meanwhile the Vodou rituals are often performed in uncontrolled situations by non-professional slaughterman or women, this can often result in rather untidy deaths for the animals. There is a clear clash therefore between the two social codes yet in a sovereign nation only one social code can exist as a legal framework. Is it therefore acceptable for a Vodou priest for example to flout this ban on his ritual sacrifices in order to make his point that morally he believes he is doing right?"

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Samantra
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 07:28:52 PM »
"What did you say exactly? That laws are "often formalization of a social code accepted by a majority of citizens"? I have no idea who thought you that but it certainly doesn't apply to Tamora. Assuming you are right for the rest of Mundus that sound horrible, that means we Tamorans should force all to wear the hijab, not allow people to eat pork and force people to own slaves I guess. And if by Monday we change our minds and no longer feel that way those the laws should change again. And that's not taking into account that what a majority of the citizens feel is appropriate in the Imperial Enclave* differs quite a lot from that the majority feel it is appropriate in Attica*.  I mean look at Kataine, you are the experts on it , maybe some of their laws aren't "social codes that have been accepted by a majority of their citizens". "

"What you said before asking the question does not really matter for the issue. Of course it is acceptable, there's no doubt about it. And I'll give you three reasons:

One: what the Voodo priest did in your example does not go against the Book of Mani.

Two: How do you think the Lodjans slaughtered their animals a thousand years ago? Like the Lodjans do now or like the Voodo are doing now? You think the ancestors of the Lodjans had "professional" slaughtermen? You think the animals had tidy deaths? If the ancestors of the Lodjans themselves would be sinners and offenders under the current interpretation of the religion and under the current law then there is something very wrong with that religion and even more so with that law. 

Three: do you think the poor and the needy would complain about how the animals were killed when they get the free food from the Vodoo priest? If a religion puts animals above human needs then that religion is fit for animals and not for men. "

"I hope that makes it clear, Alisha. Since you study all faiths, you can always remember this from our faith: always consider how your ancestors, who practiced the same religion as you, did things. If the laws and morals you have now makes most of them sinners or lawbreakers than you don't have a religion and you're just following a social trend wherever that takes you.  "

*Two different regions of Tamora.

Offline Libby

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 09:23:56 PM »
In addition to asking questions to  Musaevna Kadyrov, you may now also ask them to Professor Erika Dahl

Offline Libby

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2018, 09:27:20 PM »
You can now ask questions to Katarina Brassicus of Cabbagelandiet.

Offline Libby

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2018, 10:05:01 PM »
One of the Missionara's more well known scholars, Karin Atreides stood, "Professor Dahl, if you could perhaps explain to use how the possibility of engineering DNA could be used for positive purposes as your lecture seemed to focus on the negatives."

Meanwhile Alisha got to her feet and asked a question to Katarina Brassicus . "What has the reaction been to your reappearence on the international stage back home and how prepared are your people for interactions with other nations and cultures."?"

Offline CabbagePreacher

• Basically New Zealand
  • Selamlar, ich bin ein Türke. Probably.
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Nichitishi
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 06:46:06 AM »
"Well the response at home was mixed, as usual. Some thunk that opening up to the world was a good idea, considering we last had contact with an outsider in a hundred years. Some thunk that the Brassican religion would be persecuted again, and that we should just keep isolated. But we are prepeared for interaction. The decision to open up to the outside world was in 2002, but we didn't open up until 2018. We made sure to get people ready for outside interaction in that time, schools giving classes on how to be more acceptant of others and all that happened." Katarina took a breath after saying that long paragraph of information.
Cabbagelandiet still lives on thine heart!

The Factbook of Nichitishi - https://independentorder.net/index.php?topic=1864.msg16144
The Important People of Nichitishi - https://independentorder.net/index.php?topic=1865.msg16145#msg16145

Offline Libby

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2018, 10:57:49 PM »
Also open to questions is Augustin Fava

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2018, 11:32:50 PM »
Cynthia McLean, had sat about three quarters of the way back and had generally enjoyed herself so far it wasn't often she got the chance to be herself.

"Mr Fava I hope you'll forgive me for being specific but in your lecture you stated that 'CTO interventions have been used to a large extent where these rights have been clearly infringed and abandoned' in relation to human rights." Cynthia said "Now I'm interested to know which CTO interventions you're referring to in that statement, can you enlighten us on that?"

Offline The Young Pope

• Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Republic of Québec
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2018, 10:42:23 AM »
"Not at all, any question is welcomed: I was specifically referring to CTO operations in Marseille, Seaforth where War Crimes and Crimes on Humanity respectively occured already before the interventions began; Realists would argue that it is up to these states to solve their own problems and not involve international entities as that would breach the national sovereignty. Hope that made it clearer to understand." Fava said.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 07:03:49 PM by The Young Pope »

Offline Libby

• Order Of The Pen
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2018, 09:28:04 PM »
Saskia Hohenrod, Leader of the Cult of Death is now avaliable for questions.