Author Topic: Headquarters of the Cross-Straits Treaty Organisation  (Read 13490 times)

Offline Tytor

• Regional Power
  • All the world's a stage...
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Tytor
Re: Headquarters of the Cross-Straits Treaty Organisation
« Reply #30 on: August 20, 2020, 12:39:46 AM »
Thatcher looked the proposal over carefully before reacting to it.  "I think," she said hesitantly, "That I should be able to sell this revised document to Parliament.  However, there are some alterations I would make to the proposal as it stands.  In place of section 2, I would substitute the following: 'A Cross-Straits body is defined as any organization included under the provisions of this treaty.'  In place of section 11, I would substitute this: 'This document may be amended by vote of the CSC's membership, whether to alter this provisions herein contained or to define additional Cross-Straits bodies as the membership sees fit.'  I will confess a lack of opinion on whether that vote should be a simple majority or a supermajority, but I would like to avoid requiring it to be unanimous.  I would also adjust section 10 to allow for the calling of extraordinary or emergency summits if necessary, though I am uncertain on the language I would use to accomplish that.  Beyond these concerns, this proposal has my tentative support, and I find the vast majority of my objections addressed."
His Majesty Michael the First, by the Grace of God, King of Tytor and her Colonies, and Lord Protector of Floodwater

Factbook -- News -- Press Office

Former Governor-General of The Infinite Alliance
Former Ambassador to Albion and the Global Right Alliance
Former Vice Premier and Speaker of the Senate of the Independent Order
Professional Procrastinator

Non-partisan and proud of it

"A witty saying proves nothing." - Voltaire

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
« Reply #31 on: August 20, 2020, 01:03:47 AM »
Serenity quickly took the 'red pen' to the piece of paper she'd written on earlier and then wrote in Thatcher's suggestions, they were helpful and didn't alter the purpose of the relevant provisions. "So accounting for Prime Minister Thatcher's very helpful suggestions we have the following." Serenity said

Cross-Straits Community Proposal

Part I:Definitions

1. The Cross-Straits Community (CSC) is a term defined as the combined membership total of all Cross-Straits bodies.

2. A Cross-Straits body is defined as any organization included under the provisions of this treaty.

3. The current list of Cross-Strait bodies (not including the CSC) are:
  • The Cross-Straits Union (Economic)
  • The Cross-Straits Treaty Organisation (Defence)

Part II: Leadership and Administration

4. The Cross-Straits Secretariat shall be the leadership body of the CSC, it shall be led by a Secretary General who shall internationally represent the CSC.

5. The Secretary General shall be elected by the Cross-Straits Community for a term of one year.

6. The Cross-Straits Commission shall be the administration body of the CSC, it shall be led by a Chief Commissioner who shall be the chief administrator of the Community and Commissioners responsible for specific portfolios, the Commissioners shall report to the Secretary General and the membership as necessary. The full list of Commission portfolios shall be:
  • Chief Commissioner
  • Commissioner of Foreign Affairs
  • Commissioner of International Aid and Development
  • Commissioner of Defence
  • Commissioner of Justice
  • Commissioner for Economy and Finance
  • Commissioner for the Internal Market and Trade
  • Commissioner for Agriculture and the Environment
  • Commissioner for Climate Change
  • Commissioner for Maritime Affairs and Fisheries
  • Commissioner for Home and Cultural Affairs
  • Commissioner of Science and Innovation
  • Commissioner for Health
  • Commissioner for Education and Youth

7. Members of the Cross-Straits Secretariat and Cross-Straits Commission shall be regarded as representatives of the CSC and not any one nation.

Part III Powers and Obligations of the Cross-Straits Community

8. Cross-Straits Community member states agree to maintain active embassies with each other and to have their ambassadors present themselves promptly (within 24 hours) upon receipt of an official summons by another members government.

9. Cross-Straits Community member states agree to settle disputes arising between them by peaceful means when at all possible using the Secretariat or Commission as a mediator if required.

10. There shall be held annually a Cross-Straits Summit to which all CSC members shall be invited, the venue shall be determined by the CSC membership. An emergency summit may be held following a request from a CSC member or the CS Leadership.

11. This document may be amended by vote of the CSC's membership, whether to alter this provisions herein contained or to define additional Cross-Straits bodies as the membership sees fit. A vote of this nature shall require a two thirds majority.

Part 4 Miscellaneous

12. The Cross-Straits Community and other Cross-Straits bodies shall be headquartered at ___________

"In regards to section 11 I have suggested it be the super majority method because in most cases when we talk about amendments to national constitutions and international treaties we talk about super majorities." Serenity said "In terms of article 10 like the Prime Minister I'm not 100% certain on the wording of that addition but I agree it's something to factor in which is what I've attempted to do in essence any member or the Secretariat can request the emergency summit which I believe in practical terms would cover it. If this be agreeable to all may I suggest we formalize it?"

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Beatrice/Rokkenjima
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2020, 05:55:38 AM »
"The First Empire has no objections to the document in its present form."

"As for the matter of headquarters arrangements I believe that the present headquarters of the Cross-Straits Union in Ashinxao makes the greatest sense," Evanthe continued. "Not only was it purpose-built to serve the Cross-Straits System and already has the staff and representatives of the Union present and familiar with it, it was also designed with the notion that, one day, the CSU and CSTO may operate under one roof, thus the facilities exist within the complex to serve both the Union and the Organization, with room for bodies which may yet be created or brought under the Cross-Straits 'roof'. In addition, Ashinxao is well connected and serves the Headquarters with data capabilities backed by one of the most robust internet infrastructures in Mundus. Thus, utilizing the present Headquarters of the Union will allow the Cross-Straits Community to hit the ground running, so to say, as the Union and Organization begin to operate under this new Charter."

Cross-Straits Union Complex, Ashinxao, Azukishima Prefecture, Rokkenjima.

Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of the Independent Order
Empress of the First Empire of Rokkenjima

Factbook of the First Empire of Rokkenjima - Kingdom of Clysperis

Offline Lakhzovia

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Lakhzovia
« Reply #33 on: August 27, 2020, 09:50:06 PM »
"Lakhzovia has no objections to the proposed amendments."

Offline Tytor

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2020, 06:55:52 AM »
"As it stands, I have no further concerns," Thatcher said, "As far as section 10 goes, I think the new wording is adequate.  If we find otherwise in the future, we can always amend it to work better."
His Majesty Michael the First, by the Grace of God, King of Tytor and her Colonies, and Lord Protector of Floodwater

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2020, 12:14:18 AM »
"Ok then." Serenity said picking up a pen and looking around the table "As we have an agreement I believe we can sign this and then hand the matter of ratification to our respective legislatures." she smiled as she put her signature at the bottom of the agreement.

Offline Tytor

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2020, 12:26:12 AM »
"With any luck," Thatcher said as she took the pen from Serenity, "We're ushering in a new era of international cooperation.  May it be a long one."  She signed below the Achkaerinese crown princess.

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2020, 04:16:34 AM »
"On behalf of the Rokkenjiman People, I am pleased to affix my signature," Evanthe said as she added her signature. "May our cooperation always serve the common, greater good."

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Lakhzovia

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Lakhzovia
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2020, 10:37:00 AM »
"Lakhzovia hereby affixes our signature to this document"

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2020, 05:14:33 PM »
With the discussions winding down in regards to the Cross-Straits Community the attention of the CSTO turned to another matter: Ikhan.

"The First Empire believes that Ikhan would serve as a natural partner, given their positions on key foreign issues as well as their cordial relationship with the First Empire. If it would please my fellow CSTO members, I would like to invite a representative from Ikhan for a brief conversation, after which we may vote on their membership."

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Tytor

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2020, 07:24:31 PM »
"The Kingdom of Tytor has no objection to this proposal, and hereby seconds it.  The Kingdom of Tytor also moves that similar invitations be extended to Lakhzovia and Achkaerin."

OOC: As the individual placed in charge of Novincia in Novi's absence, I hereby note Novincia's support for both of these proposals and the CSC.  In the case of the latter, we can assume Novincian ratification of the charter.

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2020, 07:29:38 AM »

An Invitation To The Second Empire of Ikhan

Following discussion between the membership of the Cross-Straits Treaty Organisation we have determined to extend an invitation to the Second Empire to ascend into the Organisation. At your earliest convenience we would wish to invite a representative from the Second Empire to the Cross-Straits Headquarters for a meeting, after which the CSTO membership will vote on your membership, should you desire to join.

We look forward to meeting with you.

An Invitation To The Holy Empire Of Achkaerin And The Republic Of Lakhzovia

As the Cross-Straits Community continues to take shape we, the membership of the Cross-Straits Treaty Organisation have determined that should the Holy Empire or the Republic desire membership in the Organisation we would be willing to convene, and vote, upon such membership matters. If membership is desired please inform me at your earliest convenience, after which we shall effect the necessary votes to extend membership.

Beatrice Anselmo

Online Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
  • Boldly staying where everyone has gone before
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: The Empire of DaitoTIO
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2020, 05:46:20 AM »
Re: Invitation to the Cross-Straits Treaty Organization

The Ministry of Foreign affairs has received your invitation and has thus reported the offer to the Office of the Prime Minister. In keeping with his directives, we are pleased to accept this invitation and are willing to schedule a meeting at your headquarters whenever is convenient for you. At such an occasion, I am willing to attend this meeting on behalf of the Second Empire as the representative of her peoples until a deal may be made, preferably with the result of our accession to the organization. I look forwards to this meeting and hope that it shall be most fruitful for both parties.

—Israi Kasuk, State Minister of Foreign Affairs

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2020, 06:42:46 AM »
Minister Kasuk was greeted upon their arrial and shown to the appropriate chambers.

"Thank you for joining us today," they were greeted with upon their seating, "that Ikhan has graced is with their presence is welcoming. During these proceedings we will address a matter or two of concern, prior to the CSTO voting upon Ikhan's admission into the CSTO. Before we begin, do you have any questions, or perhaps a statement you would wish to make?"

Beatrice Anselmo

Online Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2020, 10:23:04 PM »
 "No questions, thank you. However, I do, if you don't mind, wish to say that it is an honour to be here among your company." Israi said with a smile and a nod. "Now then, if that's all, then may we begin?" He then said; his voice was calm even though it was ever-so-slightly more difficult to understand him due to his accent.

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2020, 06:05:16 AM »
"Very well then. As you are aware the CSTO has highlighted the Second Empire as a state which shares many of the values upon which the CSTO was founded upon. This, in addition to cordial relations with the First Empire, has resulted in the extension of an invitation to the Second Empire for consideration as a member of the Cross-Straits Treaty Organisation."

"One area of concern we have is lingering issues of discrimination which seem pervasive in some provincial governments in regards to the Ardian community. As an MCUR signatory, what is the Second Empire doing to address these issues, especially those which point to systemic elements of discrimination?"

Beatrice Anselmo

Online Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2020, 06:49:46 AM »
"Well, as it stands we have taken great strides towards handling such issues; For instance, as of 1972 the National Assembly passed legislation that outlawed discrimination based on ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, and colour. Unfortunately, some provinces, especially those heavily affected by the Ardian Occupation between 1868 and 1928, have had difficulty in keeping with that. While discrimination is still present among some circles, we are proud to say that it has largely been eliminated in most provincial governments. Indeed, the governor of the Khushai province is, himself, a member of the Ikhani Ardian community, elected back in 2018. Nonetheless, we are still working towards fully eliminating the issue by implementing further anti-discrimination laws including those regarding our Ardian Minority while also offering state-sponsored classes to further eliminate the issue. Unfortunately, however, we know better than to expect that the problem will just 'go away'. The prejudices of older generations will continue to fester without further action, though by what means are as of yet undecided by the National Assembly."

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2020, 10:07:19 PM »
"Quite understandable," came the reply, "We've many in the border region with Toshikawa who hold onto prejudices, leaving us to take those actions we may to pave the road for a better future for all Peoples we are responsible for. I'm satisfied that action has been taken, and is actively being taken, to continue to address this issue."

"I shall leave the floor open for our colleagues to present any questions they may have, thank you."

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Tytor

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2020, 06:39:24 AM »
"I do have a few questions, mostly in regard to current affairs.  To start off, Minister Kasuk, what is your nation's stance on the issue some might refer to as freedom of navigation?  Specifically, where does Ikhan stand in regards to the stopping of vessels on the high seas upon suspicion of criminal activity or human rights abuses?

"In the same vein, what does the government of Ikhan consider its role to be in relation to human rights abuses in other countries?  This is, by design, a general question, though it is spurred by the present place of freedom of religion in the worldwide public debate.

"Third and, for now, final, the CSTO is first and foremost a military alliance.  As such, its members are expected to provide for the common defense of the entire organization.  As a prospective member of the CSTO, what do you feel Ikhan brings to the table in that regard?  More importantly, how prepared is Ikhan to coordinate with its future allies in the pursuit of peace and security both within the alliance and around the world?"

Online Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2020, 08:00:56 PM »
"On the first question, I wish to state that we believe that a vessel's right of passage through our waters are guaranteed by the Fair Seas Concordat, to which we are party and comply with. As for the stopping of vessels under suspicion of criminal activity or human rights abuses, such protocols are also only to be used in keeping with the provisions of the Fair Seas Concordat, specifically article 110-1 which allows a warship which encounters a foreign vessel on the high seas, other than a ship afforded to complete immunity under articles 95 and 96, is not justified in boarding unless there is reasonable ground for suspecting that the ship is involved in piracy, the slave trade, is engaged in unauthorized broadcasting and the flag State of the warship has jurisdiction under article 109, is without nationality, or though flying a foreign flag or refusing to show its flag, the ship is, in reality, of the same nationality as the warship. In cases where the vessel fulfills these required conditions, a boat under the command of an officer may be dispatched to the suspected ship. Should suspicion remain after checking the documents, it may proceed to a further examination onboard the ship, which must be carried out with all possible consideration. Otherwise, the ship will be compensated for any loss or damage that may have been sustained."

"As for your second question, it is the position of the Empire of Ikhan that we are diametrically opposed to any and all human rights abuses undertaken by any government, regardless of who undertakes it. As you may or may not know, we have watched the restrictions put into place on the freedom of religion by foreign powers such as Kopsje and Fleur with horror. After all, for most of our history, we have believed that the right to follow whatever faith one wishes should be protected and permitted to be practiced in the open, provided it does not break the laws of the land. As such, we are prepared to levy economic sanctions against said nations, though military force is seen as an option of last resort only."

"As for your final question, we recognize that in the past, we have proven isolationist, especially during the reign of His Lordship, the Emperor-Emeritus, but nonetheless we believe that the Armed Forces of Ikhan should be kept in a state of readiness should war break out. Those resources would, should Ikhan join the CSTO, be available in operations undertaken by the organization. We are more than ready to coordinate with the CSTO in your most noble of pursuits."

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2020, 08:17:40 PM »
"If these answers are suitable, and no one wishes to follow up, I shall propose we move forward to a vote."

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Tytor

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2020, 08:22:03 PM »
"Seconded."

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2020, 08:30:15 PM »
"The First Empire of Rokkenjima votes to approve CSTO membership of the Second Empire of Ikhan."

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Tytor

• Regional Power
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2020, 08:33:10 PM »
"The Kingdom of Tytor votes to approve CSTO membership for the Second Empire of Ikhan."

OOC note: As the player left in charge of Novincia's interactions with the outside world, I hereby register Novincia's vote in favor of Ikhan's membership as well.

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2020, 08:44:55 PM »
"With three votes in favour and one abstention, the Second Empire of Ikhan is officially recognized as a member of the Cross-Straits Treaty Organisation."

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2020, 10:08:03 PM »

On the Invitation of the CSTO

The Crown and Cabinet of Achkaerin have met and discussed this invitation and we are honoured to accept the invitation. We do however make the CSTO aware that in the event of a vote to admit Achkaerin, the process would then require the ratification of the Senate. If the CSTO requires a meeting in advance of a vote we will send a representative to answer questions.

Signed

Emperor Peter Azurewind

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2020, 11:41:40 PM »

An Invitation To The Holy Empire Of Achkaerin And The Republic Of Lakhzovia

The CSTO recognizes these facts and looks forward to a representative of the Holy Empire joining us to answer questions, and pose any that should be held by the Achkaerinese. You may send a representative to the Headquarters of the CSTO at your earliest convenience, and we may begin.

Thank you;

Michael Kensington
Cross-Straits Treaty Organisation

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 29, 2020, 12:14:40 AM »
There was probably no surprise about who got the nod to go to CSTO headquarters to represent Achkaerin, first up Isabella Watson, she had been Achkaerin's ambassador to the Confederation of Independent States and this was her type of arena, she had plenty of experience in dealing with crises then and she'd kept her hand in the game so to speak in the years since. She was accompanied by someone who would be better known to the room Nettie Taylor, the one time Premier of Rokkenjima, the one time Rokkenjima Imperial Councillor of Foreign Affairs who had for around three years now worked as Foreign Affairs Advisor to the Achkaerinese Emperor. They both entered the room and took seats that they were directed to.

"Thank you for the invitation." Nettie said "I'm Nettie Taylor, the foreign affairs advisor to the Emperor of Achkaerin. This is Isabella Watson, she's Achkaerin's former ambassador to the CIS and she has some experience with the CTO." the introductions were mainly for the benefit of the Ikhan representative as the others likely knew who the two women were. "We're happy to answer any questions you have."

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 29, 2020, 01:01:03 AM »
Mr. Kensington had heard much about the two women around the halls of Pyrena Castle, so he was familiar with their histories at least. For the discussions ahead they were most fitting choices.

"Ambassador Watson, Ms. Taylor, thank you for joining us here today," Kensington said as he took a seat. "I think I speak for the Rokkenjimans at least when I say that we're familiar with the Holy Empire and would likely vote to accept the Holy Empire if the vote were held at this moment. I think, however, the only matters I have are as follows: interoperability between ICON which, as you know, is a technology which is prevalent across CSTO militaries and allows for increased interoperability and a matter which the Empress requested me to address: our joint bases."

"I believe, if I'm remembering correctly, that there was a 'graft' program which was developed which saw ICON and SCION operating nearly seamlessly; what steps can we expect to see that program restarted as to ensure the historic interoperability and compatibility across the Organisation is maintained?"

"Secondly, the questions surrounding our respective Bases has figured greatly into discussions in Pyrena Castle. Empress Evanthe believes that, should the Holy Empire join the CSTO, we could see our Bases transition to Joint Military Facilities of the CSTO. This would see Antares become a part of the presently existing Joint Military Facility on Hoshiko Island and, likewise, would see QCMB transition to the service of the CSTO. Would this arrangement be agreeable to the Holy Empire?"

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 31, 2020, 09:16:40 PM »
"To answer the SCION question first." Nettie said "Interoperability can be easily re-established with Empress Evanthe on the throne and the Kirby report having been implemented the matters that gave rise to the disconnecting of the graft program no longer exist therefore that can be reintroduced quite quickly. In regards to the bases question that would be an acceptable arrangement however we would insist that any CSTO base on Achkaerinese soil be commanded by an Achkaerinese military officer just as I'm sure Rokkenjima would want command of a CSTO base on its soil to be under the command of a Rokkenjiman officer."