Author Topic: Tea In The Garden: Fireside Chat 2.0  (Read 2579 times)

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Beatrice/Rokkenjima
Tea In The Garden: Fireside Chat 2.0
« on: April 26, 2022, 10:33:57 PM »

My Fellow Orderians,

Some years ago I held a series of "Fireside Chats" which, to quote myself, "I feel it's important to maintain an open line of communications, one where we may exchange ideas, tackle concerns, and also what I hope will be engaging and thought-provoking discussions." With current circumstances and our renewing spirits of community I wish to once again have an opportunity to speak with all of you in an open and candid manner, to answer questions, take on concerns, as well as having fun and entertaining some of the oddity questions which some of you may have. :P

Our Vice Chancellor, CGJ, may also be joining us from time to time.

Before we proceed, allow me to present a few ground rules:

• You can ask about anything regarding NationStates, the Independent Order, its Government or roleplay matters. Questions not related to the Order, its Government or role-play matters will be answered by discretion.
  • You should be respectful when asking questions; being offensive in the garden isn't nice, and really throws off the feng shui of the Chancellery Garden.
  • The Vice Chancellor and I shall answer all questions presented, though if they are not relevant to the Order, its Government or roleplay we reserve the right to decline.
  • Discussions which take place in this topic should remain respectful and calm.

This will, once again, be a permanent fixture of my Office. Well, not quite, as it's out in the Garden, but you know what I mean.

Also, before we go further, I know that the words and actions I took toward the Land of Kings and Emperors was petty, as well as being beneath my usual standards of conduct. I can only apologize and while I will offer no defense, since we're being candid, I know Dave's departure has weighed heavily upon all of us, but I feel as though I bear full responsibility for things coming to that point. I should have reacted better and, to those ends, I have apologized to Dave for letting him down in such a massive fashion but I also owe Altona, Rayyu, our community and countless others an apology when I had the opportunity to listen and act much, much sooner. I admit I was aloof and complacent, it's not hard to do when you're in a community that lasts this long online, but I promise all of you I will do better, and I look forward to working with all of you to put these times behind us and get back to an Order where we can escape to, and not have to worry about drama. We'll never allow complacency to divide and threaten our community again, and I personally thank each person who has acted against that, seeing that we'd fallen from what we are: a region of good RP, quality writing, and placing cooperation and collaboration over competition and a "winning" mindset.

With that being said, do ask away. I look forward to answering your questions. :)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2022, 12:27:40 AM by Beatrice »

Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of the Independent Order
Empress of the First Empire of Rokkenjima

Factbook of the First Empire of Rokkenjima - Kingdom of Clysperis

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Samantra
Re: Tea In The Garden: Fireside Chat 2.0
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2022, 06:13:34 PM »
My questions for Beatrice are:

1.   Are you currently an (active) member in other Nation States Rping communities? If so, would you be willing to say which ones?
2.   Rokkenjima or Clysperis? Which one do you enjoy RPing more?
3.   What kind of Rps in TIO do you enjoy reading the most?
4.   What do you think is missing or could be improved in TIO when it comes to RPing?
5.   Why do you think TIO has survived for almost a decade when most (NS) Rping communities have disappeared? What is its strength?
6.   Why won’t you agree to have CTO disbanded?   

I would add more but I don’t want to monopolize the discussion.

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2022, 12:37:37 AM »
1. Just here. I have The Golden Land, but that's basically me holding onto the first region I was really a part of. I can't remember what office I held there but I was new, had won an election for maybe their version of a legislature (it wasn't well developed) and then the region collapsed due to infighting. That's when I left for TIO, and when I saw The Golden Land was founderless I waited and refounded it. I might do something with it at some point beyond it being an homage to my past.

2. Depends on the day really, both have their own joys. I would say that Clysperis offers more opportunities to explore topics and stories I never would have otherwise, and I'd argue Akasha is a more dynamic character than Evanthe, and her attitude is more close to that of Empress Beatrice in not caring who she offends so, I'll give Akasha the nod over Evanthe.

3. Character-driven for certain, also those which have no pre-defined endgame in mind. Organic RP is the best.

4. Mostly tied to recent events, but the spirit of cooperation and jointly working on stories. I think we're on track to get back to that though.

5. The community and, despite recent times saying otherwise, our dedication to story craft. We also don't have a bunch of personalities within the Order vying for power one way or the other, and we've avoided drama for the majority of our existence. Once things settle down it wouldn't surprise me to see it go on for another decade.

6. I'll have Adriana address the CTO issue.  ;)

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2022, 09:32:36 AM »
That you for your reply.

Now for some personal questions:
1.   Where do you draw inspiration for posts?
2.   Does your job influence what RP you create? And if so would you care to elaborate?
3.   In what countries of Mundus would the real life Beatrice like to live as an average citizen? 

Offline Geo

• Regional Power
  • Scratch a Liberal...
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Ni
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2022, 10:52:14 PM »
I have a few questions, they're all slightly personal, so I hope you don't mind :)

1. Have you watched Neon Genesis Evangelion?
2. If so, are you a Rei, an Asuka or (the objectively best choice) a Kaworu fan?
3. If you haven't watched Eva, why not? You should y'know.
4. Heads of tails?
5. Elvis or Paul
6. Speaking of Paul, favourite Beatle?
7. What's better, Science Fiction or Fantasy?
8. Favourite Lord of the Rings movie?
9. Favourite Star Wars movie?
10. Opinions on Morbius (the movie)?
11. Spiderman or Batman?
12. Speaking of Spiderman, who is your favourite Spiderman actor?
13. Speaking further of Spiderman, what is your favourite Spiderman movie?
14. What is in your opinion, the best song ever written?
15. What is in your opinion, the best book ever written?
16. What is in your opinion, the best TV show ever written?
17. What is in your opinion, the best movie ever written? (the correct answer is Morbius)
18. What is in your opinion, the best video game ever made in terms of gameplay?
19. What is in your opinion, the best video game ever made in terms of story?
20. Where were you when 9/11 happened?
21. Favourite planet in the solar system? (can't pick Earth)
22. What is your favourite brand?
23. Is it ironic that a megacorporation's (controlling alot of the world's economy) logo is a literal smirk
24. Favourite clan or bloodline from White Wolf's VTM?
25. Favourite class in DnD?
26. If the N-Word turns up in a song written by a black guy, and I'm singing along to the lyrics, can I say the N-Word? (In your opinion)
27. Favourite Greek God?
28. Favourite Egyptian God?
29. Favourite French person?
30. Do you agree with this statement: "The end may justify the means as long as there is something that justifies the end"
31. When is a door not a door?
32. Can eggs puns ever be too much?
33. This is the 33rd question, can you believe it, already huh?
34. In your opinion, is slavery bad?
35. Is slavery bad, even if the slaves apparently like being slaves?
36. What Harry Potter house are you?
37. Is the enslavement of the House Elves in the Harry Potter novels ok?
38. First celebrity crush?
39. Least favourite person (ever)
40. Favourite person?
41. Favourite type of tea
42. What's your favourite colour?
43. Favourite European Country?
44. Were the Nazis actually the good guys?
45. In April 11th, 1956, what significant event happened?
46. Trump has no original ideas, how far do you agree?
47. Ancient Rome and the Roman Empire was cringe, yes or no?
48. Is Putin justified in his invasion of Ukraine? Why/why not?
49. What are the ethical issues with child soldiers?
50. Can you believe we're already on 50 questions? Gee Wiz.
51. Fill in the blanks. _ ____ ____
52. Did Thatcher have girl power?
53. If so, did she utilise this girl power in a good way by funding illegal paramilitary death squads in Ireland?
54. Do you stand with Ukraine?
55. Do you stand with Palestine?
56. Are you a hypocrite?
57. Have you read any works by Freud?
58. Best animated Disney Film?
59. What do you find easier, imagining the end of the world, or the end of capitalism?
60. What is your favourite wine?
61. Do you smoke?
62. If so, why?
63. Favourite Lego Set?
64. Favourite Terry Pratchett book?
65. If you were to rate the Dune Series out of 10, what would it be?
66. Favourite Body Horror Film?
67. Favourite Psychological Horror Film?
68. Favourite Slasher Horror Film?
69. XREMOVEDX
70. How many stars does the American Flag have?
71. What makes a man turn neutral?
72. If Kevin has 118 gummy bears, and he eats 102, what does he have?
73. What shape has 1 side?
74. Which French President died when getting head?
75. "White Negroes of Europe" was a term used by who to describe who?
76. The below statement is correct.
77. The above statement is incorrect.
78. What is the answer to question 77?
79. Portal 1 was better than Portal 2. Discuss.
80. In what book did a wise king threaten to chop a baby in half?
81. What is the greatest myth of the 21st Century?
82. What is the chance of me getting heads on a coin flip?
83. What is the chance of me getting tails on a coin flip?
84. ‘People protest about the cruelty of keeping animals in captivity, but they seem happy enough to eat meat, keep pets and visit zoos. All animals should be free!’ Write an article for a magazine in which you explain your point of view on this statement. (24 marks for content and organisation 16 marks for technical accuracy) [40 marks]. You are advised to plan your answer to Question 5 before you start to write.
85. How does Priestley use the character of the Inspector to suggest ways that society could be improved? Write about: • what society is shown to be like in the play and how it might be improved • how Priestley presents society through what the Inspector says and does. [30 marks] AO4 [4 marks]
86. What came first, the chicken or the egg?
87. Explain two consequences for Israel of its invasion and occupation of Lebanon. OR Explain two consequences of the Gulf War for the USA.
88. Explain why Wolsey fell from power in October 1529. You may use the following in your answer: - The influence of the Boleyns. - The failure to annul the marriage of Catherine of Aragon.  OR Describe two features of Cromwell’s work as Chief Minister.
89. Explain why there were political problems in the Weimar Republic between 1919 and 1923. You may use the following in your answer: • The Spartacist Putsch. • The Treaty of Versailles. OR Explain why the Nazi police state was successful between 1933 and 1939. You may use the following in your
answer: • The Gestapo. • Concentration camps.
90. x + y = 4 l y = x^2 +3x - 1 l What does x and y equal?
91. Finish the lyrics: There is a house in...
92. Who gave birth to the minotaur?
93. What is in your opinion, the worse flavour of icecream?
94. What belongs on pizza but is often not on it?
95. The Simpsons has how many episodes as of the 1st of May, 2022?
96. One Piece has how many episodes as of the 1st of May, 2022?
97. What is your favourite anime?
98. What is your favourite game show?
99. If you HAD to drop a nuke on any part of the US, what part would you nuke?
100. What is your favourite non-alcoholic beverage?
101. What are your opinions on Cat Boys?

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2022, 03:17:33 AM »
That you for your reply.

Now for some personal questions:
1.   Where do you draw inspiration for posts?
2.   Does your job influence what RP you create? And if so would you care to elaborate?
3.   In what countries of Mundus would the real life Beatrice like to live as an average citizen?

1. Sometimes it's a song I heard, other times an amalgamation of stories I've either read or wrote and thought it would be interesting to explore the topics myself and, at times, the words just seem to flow. I find it easiest to write when I'm either writing from a character's point of view, or their words seemt o come to me, if that makes sense.

2. Not really. I keep work at work since, dealing with the general public doesn't always make for the best of experiences.

3. Dartfordia, East Moreland, or Rokkenjima. Although a different nation now Hassfurt would also have been interesting, but they didn't look kindly upon red heads so perhaps I need to rethink that one.

Geo, pick 5-10 questions for me to answer out of all that please. :D

Off the bat though, I'll answer a few.

Never was much into Neo Genesis Evangelion, though one of my friends was crazy about it. Paul > Elvis, and Paul is also my favourite Beatle. The Lord of the Rings are best enjoyed as one single body, while Batman is preferable to Spiderman. Fantasy is preferable to science fiction, though I have a special love for Star Trek as it was one of the things my grandmother and I bonded over as I got older.

The best song ever written is a difficult one, as I have many bests throughout genres. The best performed song, well, that's easier. This performance of Toccata & Fugue by Xaver Varnus really utilizes the many strengths and qualities of the pipe organ, and the pauses he utilizes to allow the entire building to "sing" in a way is something I wish I could have experienced in person. The pipe organ is also ultimately my favourite instrument while also being the most metal instrument of all time. I recommend listening to the performance from start to finish as it is just amazing.

Actually, on further thought, the best song ever written is, without a doubt, Kashmir by Led Zeppelin.

From this point though do like 5-10 questions at a time so it's easier. :D

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Geo

• Regional Power
  • Scratch a Liberal...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2022, 01:37:46 PM »

Since you'll only answer a few at a time, I'll rattle off the top 5 i'd like to get answered right away:

84. ‘People protest about the cruelty of keeping animals in captivity, but they seem happy enough to eat meat, keep pets and visit zoos. All animals should be free!’ Write an article for a magazine in which you explain your point of view on this statement. (24 marks for content and organisation 16 marks for technical accuracy) [40 marks]. You are advised to plan your answer to Question 5 before you start to write.
85. How does Priestley use the character of the Inspector to suggest ways that society could be improved? Write about: • what society is shown to be like in the play and how it might be improved • how Priestley presents society through what the Inspector says and does. [30 marks] AO4 [4 marks]
86. What came first, the chicken or the egg?
87. Explain two consequences for Israel of its invasion and occupation of Lebanon. OR Explain two consequences of the Gulf War for the USA.
88. Explain why Wolsey fell from power in October 1529. You may use the following in your answer: - The influence of the Boleyns. - The failure to annul the marriage of Catherine of Aragon.  OR Describe two features of Cromwell’s work as Chief Minister.
89. Explain why there were political problems in the Weimar Republic between 1919 and 1923. You may use the following in your answer: • The Spartacist Putsch. • The Treaty of Versailles. OR Explain why the Nazi police state was successful between 1933 and 1939. You may use the following in your
answer: • The Gestapo. • Concentration camps.

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2022, 04:43:26 PM »
I have a few questions, they're all slightly personal, so I hope you don't mind :)

29. Favourite French person?

That's an easy one. It has to be Nova.

Online Daitō

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
  • Boldly staying where everyone has gone before
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: The Empire of DaitoTIO
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2022, 09:14:22 PM »
Okay, favorite lesser-known historical event?

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2022, 06:32:25 AM »
84. Take a look at Rokkenjiman animal rights laws and go from there.
Just getting out of work, so some of these questions I'm going to use my right to take passes on. :P

Nova does happen to be my favourite French person despite recent circumstances.

Quote from: Daitō
Okay, favorite lesser-known historical event?

That time Napoleon was attacked by bunnies. :D

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Geo

• Regional Power
  • Scratch a Liberal...
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2022, 07:12:46 PM »