Author Topic: The Imperial Address, Seventh Edition  (Read 1055 times)

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Beatrice/Rokkenjima
The Imperial Address, Seventh Edition
« on: May 08, 2022, 08:59:51 AM »

Imperial Address
An Address to the People of Rokkenjima, her Allies, and the broader International Community

Fellow Rokkenjimans, Friends and Allies of the First Empire, honourable delegates from afar, I thank you for joining me here this afternoon.

On April 22nd, 2014 the Saisei Empress stood before you in this very Chamber to deliver the first Imperial Address. In the years which have followed it has been customary for the Empress to come before the whole of the Empire to present her assessment of the preceding year, her goals for the year to come, and to reflect upon the challenges, concerns, hopes and aspirations of the Rokkenjiman nation in that moment. In her first Imperial Address the Saisei Empress touted the strength of the Rokkenjiman economy, as well as that of the Imperial Rokkenjiman Navy, in her opening remarks. This year, however, I wish to look back upon history to highlight the challenges we have met, and the remarkable success of Rokkenjiman unilateralism in meeting the challenges before the international community.

We may recall that when the United Soviet Russia enacted a blockade of the Great Northern Sea, while at the same time pursuing an expansive biological weapons program, this First Empire broke through the Soviet blockade with the might of the Imperial Rokkenjiman Navy while the intense pressure brought upon the Soviets forced them to bring their weapons program to a halt. With this success over the Era of Soviet Aggression, the First Empire in its benevolence established the Covenant of Nations, an institution with which we could ensure a lasting peace and ever expansive international stability. Then, when the Thematan Corporatists embarked upon a campaign of genocide and brutal oppression of their very people Rokkenjiman pressure, combined with the full might of the Imperial Rokkenjiman Armed Forces, overwhelmed the Corporatist Regime, and liberated the Thematan People, restoring to them a liberty and freedom which had been stolen from them decades ago.

I can see the bewilderment on your faces and please have faith, my faculties have not taken flight. Naturally, we all know that when the United Soviet Russia embarked upon its era of aggression that the Imperial Rokkenjiman Navy, joined by our allies of Quinntopia, worked together and broke the blockade imposed by the Soviets; through a concerted campaign of international pressure which built consensus between Rokkenjiman allies and independent partners which brought the Soviet program to a halt. Likewise, the partnership which the First Empire built with nations across Mundus resulted in the formation of the Covenant of Nations; and when the cruelty of the Thematan Regime was delivered to the forefront of global attention by the Saisei Empress this First Empire, joined by our allies and partners from across Mundus, rose to the occasion and acted with swift and decisive determination to hold the regime accountable for its actions while seeing a free Themata rise from the ashes of the corporatists.

Considering the alternative version of history I presented to you, we must likewise recall a recent Rokkenjiman history which is not alternative in nature: that of a reliance upon unilateral capability and actions which alienated longstanding Rokkenjiman alliances and friends. This highlights clearly how every Rokkenjiman success has been born of the close cooperation between Rokkenjima and her allies which built international consensus to address the issues of the present moment. The might of the Rokkenjiman nation has never been represented by her solitary military, diplomatic or economic power but by her capacity to build consensus, to act with others, and to impart our strength upon the cause of the powerless. In each success we have seen it was never a naval base in our possession which brought about results, but our coordination with a concert of nations to address issues which, at their heart, speak to the common values and principles held with our allies and partners.

It is in the spirit of partnership that I share with you the results of work which started under the Saisei Empress; a rapprochement between Rokkenjima and East Moreland, the restoration of friendship and cooperation between Pyrettania and Valtheim and, finally, the multilateral effort which has seen the genesis of the Cross-Straits Community. These are crucial links which will further foreign policy objectives of the First Empire, strengthen Rokkenjiman abilities in working toward addressing crises and ensuring stability, while leaving in place an infrastructure from which our Crown Princess may work upon her ascension to the Throne. You will note that these developments do not see the First Empire acquiring military bases, nor are they instruments which would provoke the ire of Rokkenjiman allies and partners. These diplomatic developments are undertaken as the First Empire looks well into the future, rather than with short-sightedness and spite.

While these developments proceed, we must also be mindful of the present challenges which face the community of nations. Tribalism, a breakdown in the institutions of international diplomacy, and an increasing trend to look inward toward echo chambers threatens a split upon Mundus. Fears of religious competition have also presented themselves in recent times and it is upon all of us to address these issues before they establish themselves as insurmountable challenges. Over the coming weeks I will be collaborating with the Vicegerent to have honest conversations with many nations, focusing upon rebuilding those links beyond the Cross-Straits System and fostering an international conversation in which we may address mutual concerns, areas of cooperation, and concerns which some may feel have been ignored by Rokkenjima. This constructive dialogue is long overdue and is one which I look forward to holding with our neighbours in the community of nations.

We must also be mindful of the impact our actions have upon our neighbours and should act, always, as good neighbours, always working to foster understanding. We have seen the winding down of Operation Typhoon in the Kyne, the Imperial Council is at present reviewing Rokkenjiman sanctions upon the Emirate of Royal Seleucid in relation to the breadth of their practices and, by extension, policy toward Samantra, and we are seeing the nascent revival of the Mundus Development Bank. With the resources available to the Bank the capacity for effecting good in the world around us is quite remarkable, yet quite tragic if those funds continue to sit unused. Seeing the MDB return to normal operations and become a partner to peoples across Mundus in improving living standards and constructing essential infrastructure, is just one way we may all work together to transform lives and bring hope to communities.

We also find ourselves in a time of transition. One day, in a future which is no longer quite so far away, Crown Princess Asuna will ascend to Chrysanthemum Throne, ushering in a new era for the First Empire. She is surrounded by people who will continue to help her to grow into her role as Empress, continuing a tradition of service to the Rokkenjiman People. Already we have seen her not be shy to share her opinions on current and past Rokkenjiman policy with her words resonating with Rokkenjimans from her generation and even beyond. I am confident that she will continue to learn the skills to best utilize her passion in the governance of Rokkenjima.

While we have not always had the right answers, we have always tried to do the right thing, approaching difficult moments and critical decisions instead of shirking from them. We should never avoid such moments; however, we should take the time to discuss our approaches with involved parties to reach well-rounded approaches that provide for lasting solutions to problems before the community of nations. When solutions do not come from us, as a nation blessed with resources and capabilities, we should lend our strengths to those solutions. We must return to a strategy of building consensus and partnership which has proven itself repeatedly in the past as opposed to strategies which see just one viable way forward. The latter is a strategy which is destined for failure, and one which we must not repeat moving into the future.

Indeed we must remember that mistakes will be made, yet that is not what defines us as a nation or a People. What we do with these situations is what defines us, and on that note we can certainly do better, and we shall do better. Initiatives being formulated between myself and the Imperial Government will address the issues I have shared with you today while positioning the First Empire for a more engaging relationship with nations beyond existing ties. We have, in many ways, isolated ourselves from ideas and opinions which may not align with our own, we have not discussed these differences, so we are left without the understanding necessary for successful diplomacy and the capacity necessary to come together with neighbours to resolve pressing issues. I am pleased to bring this era of semi-isolation to a much needed close and to engage once again in the spirit of international cooperation.

Our immediate future sees many opportunities if we are courageous enough to take them, and to trust in the common compass which is in the heart of all toward that which is true, just and good. I pray that we have the wisdom and foresight to avoid missteps in those moments, to work with our allies and partners in harmony while also engaging with nations outside of that sphere to find answers and solutions we otherwise would be oblivious to. Yes, we must also remember that because a nation may be different or may hold beliefs which aren’t quite understood, they are not worrying and, with just a bit of conversation, most differences can be reconciled, and in that the spirit of cooperation is most often born.

We, as a Nation and People, once again renew our commitment to cooperation with the community of nations, not fearing what may be but working together to shape what shall be. May each day which follows be brighter than the day which we saw before, and may we keep misapprehension at bay.

Thank you all for your time. May the All-Mother continue to bless this First Empire, and may we all work together to foster a more understanding and harmonious future.

Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of the Independent Order
Empress of the First Empire of Rokkenjima

Factbook of the First Empire of Rokkenjima - Kingdom of Clysperis