Author Topic: An Invitation to the Kingdom of Dartfordia  (Read 5648 times)

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Beatrice/Rokkenjima
An Invitation to the Kingdom of Dartfordia
« on: May 28, 2018, 11:40:02 AM »

An Invitation To The Kingdom Of Dartfordia

With the impending withdrawal of the First Empire from the Tripartite our nations would be in a position where no formal diplomatic accord exists between them. As the closest military and cultural ally of the First Empire this is a situation which cannot be allowed to occur. In the interests of ensuring formal treaty relations continue to exist uninterrupted between our nations I wish to invite a Dartfordian delegation to Pyrettania so that we may produce a Treaty which best represents the special relationship which exists between the First Empire and the Kingdom.

I have included with this message a Draft based upon prior bi-lateral Treaties which the First Empire has entered into. We may use this as a template from which to base a future treaty between Rokkenjima and Dartfordia, perhaps including elements which reflect the unique relationship our two nations enjoy. The First Empire continues to hold the Kingdom of Dartfordia in the highest of regards and looks forward to the opportunity before us to properly enshrine our relationship in a document which will ensure our alliance continues for generations to come.

I look forward to your reply and to meeting with you personally in the near future.

In friendship;

Empress of Rokkenjima
Princess of Littlebrook

Treaty of Friendship, Cooperation and Security Between The First Empire of Rokkenjima And The Kingdom of Dartfordia
The Pyrettania-Hematite Accord

Rokkenjima and Dartfordia;

Desiring to strengthen and formalize the bonds of peace and friendship existing between them, and to uphold the principles commonly shared between them,

Desiring further to encourage closer diplomatic, cultural and defensive cooperation between them and to promote conditions of tranquility and prosperity in their countries,

Reaffirming their faith in the purposes and principles of the Commonwealth Treaty and the Fair Seas Concordat, and their desire to live in peace with all peoples and governments,

Recognizing that they have the inherent right of individual and collective self defense,

Considering that they have a common concern in the maintenance of international peace and security upon the Ardian and Albion continents and abroad,

Having resolved to conclude a treaty of friendship, mutual cooperation and security,

Therefore agree as follows:

ARTICLE I

The Parties undertake to settle any international disputes in which they may be involved by peaceful means in such a manner that international peace, security and justice are not endangered and to refrain in their international relations from the threat or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of any state, or in any manner inconsistent with international law and norms.

ARTICLE II

The Parties will contribute toward the further development of peaceful and friendly international relations by strengthening their free institutions, by bringing about a better understanding of the principles upon which these institutions are founded, and by promoting conditions of stability and well-being.

ARTICLE III

The Parties, individually and in cooperation with each other, by means of continuous and effective self-help and mutual aid will maintain and develop their capacities to resist armed attack.

ARTICLE IV

The Parties will consult together from time to time regarding the implementation of this Treaty and, at the request of either Party, whenever the security of the Parties or international peace and security upon Ardia or Albion is threatened.

ARTICLE V

Each Party recognizes that an armed attack against either Party in the territories under the administration of Dartfordia or Rokkenjima would be dangerous to its own peace and security and declares that they would consider action to meet the common danger in accordance with their existing domestic and international commitments.

Each Party shall agree to share military intelligence that is believed to be in the interest of the safety and security of the other signatory.

Each Party shall host annual military exercises, held in Rokkenjima and Dartfordia on an alternating schedule.

Each Party shall agree to consult upon matters of common security and interests, whether they concern Ardia and/or Albion, directly or abroad.

The terms of this Treaty shall not supersede those commitments already existing to LISA or other such international accords.

ARTICLE VI

For the purpose of contributing to the mutual security of Rokkenjima and Dartfordia, as well as the maintenance of international peace and security in Ardia and Albion, both parties are granted the use by its air and naval forces of facilities, ports and air fields in each nation.

ARTICLE VII

This Treaty does not affect and shall not be interpreted as affecting in any way the rights and obligations of the Parties under the Charters of the CTO, LISA, or other such international institutions.

ARTICLE VIII

This Treaty shall be ratified by the First Empire of Rokkenjima and the Kingdom of Dartfordia in accordance with their respective constitutional processes and will enter into force on the date on which the instruments of ratification thereof have been exchanged by them in Pyrettania.

ARTICLE IX

The Treaty shall create an annual Rokkenjima-Dartforda Cultural Festival, celebrating the unique cultures of Rokkenjima and Dartfordia. The Pyrettania-Hematite Association will organize an annual festival to be held in each nation in turn annually.

The Treaty shall also also allow citizens of the other nation to apply for a fast track visa aiding in travel between the nations for purpose of trade, recreation and business.

ARTICLE X

To promote joint economic prosperity between Rokkenjima and Dartfordia there shall be no tariffs imposed upon goods transported between the two nations.

Taxes upon corporations or other business entities originating from either nation shall be granted a reduced tax rate when constructing offices or operations in either nation, so long as construction contracts of manufacturing and production in such properties are granted to corporations or business entities in the two nations.

The Treaty shall seek to promote the establishment of a student exchange program, allowing Rokkenjiman and Dartfordian students more expansive and diverse educational opportunities.

ARTICLE XI

This Treaty shall remain in force until such a time either Party views it as no longer serving their best interests.

Either Party may give notice to the other Party of its intention to terminate the Treaty, with due reason being stated, in which case the Treaty shall terminate one year after such notice has been given.

IN WHITNESS WHEREOF the undersigned Plenipotentiaries have signed this Treaty.

DONE at the City of Pyrettania, Azukishima Prefecture, Rokkenjima in the Rokkenjiman and English languages equally and authentic, this [DATE].

For Rokkenjima:

Empress of Rokkenjima
Princes of Littlebrook

For Dartfordia:

Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of the Independent Order
Empress of the First Empire of Rokkenjima

Factbook of the First Empire of Rokkenjima - Kingdom of Clysperis

Offline CGJ

• Vice Chancellor
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Dartfordia
Re: An Invitation to the Kingdom of Dartfordia
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2018, 01:04:59 PM »

Kingdom of Dartfordia
Department for Foreign Affairs

Your Imperial Majesty,

Thank you for your invitation to Pyrettania. In principle we are supportive of the treaty you have presented and hope that it can be used to expand upon the great relations between our two nations.

John Lankly MP
Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs
The Most Honourable Marquess CGJ
Vice Chancellor

Dartfordia: TIOwiki - Politics - Flags - Armed Forces

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 12:16:29 AM »
Some hours has passed since the receipt of the Dartfordian reply, and the headlines out of Dartfordia which followed. Touching down in Dartfordia Beatrice had wasted little time in reaching the office of Daniel Cleaver.

"If you would be so kind as to inform the Honourable Prime Minister that plans have somewhat changed in regards to the invitation I extended," Beatrice said to the person on duty. "He should be aware that he has my fullest attention, though there are other manners in achieving that beyond such maneuvers."

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline CGJ

• Vice Chancellor
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 06:10:01 PM »
"Uh, please hold, Your Majesty," a voice quivered over the line. There was some distant shuttling, and a few indiscernible voices in the background. After 5 minutes, a man spoke over the phone, "Your Imperial Majesty, this is Jonathan Pickworth, Deputy Private Secretary to the Prime Minister. I'm afraid the Prime Minister is on a walking holiday in Lodja, he left this morning after the press statement. The Foreign Secretary is currently care taking, he's in the Foreign Office at the moment but we're due to have him in about an hour. Will that be okay?"
Vice Chancellor

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 07:56:13 PM »
"A holiday at such a time? Saxon never would hav..." she cut herself off, no use in approaching the situation combatively. "My apologies, I shall be delighted to meet with the Foreign Secretary at his earliest convenience. I shall await in my car so I may consult with QKNB; I have our forces to visit, as well as a survey of the repair operations and their progress. Thank you for your time."

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline CGJ

• Vice Chancellor
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 10:08:44 PM »
Pickworth, a non-partisan official, rolled his eyes. "As Parliament has gone on recess, the Prime Minister, as well as most senior officials, have gone on holiday. We'll be in touch as soon as possible to work something out."

"Now, do I go with Sane or De Bruyne, Mike wadda think?" Lankly asked his Private Secretary, showing him the screen.

"You've only gone for Pickford 'cause of the World Cup, you muppet - Alderweireld is much better," the man replied.

"I can't go for Alderweireld, he's gonna sign for United and I already have Ge Dea, Fred and Lukaku."

"You do realise Chambers is gonna run away with it–" the official paused as his work phone rang, the Prime Minister's Office phone number flashing on his screen. He answered. "Foreign Secretary's Office." A pause. "She's what?"

The next 45 minutes were a blur as the few senior diplomats and officials that remained entered a period of chaotic frenzy. Eventually the Foreign Secretary found himself at Chancel House awaiting the Rokkenjiman Empress. As she arrived, the man shook her hand. "Welcome to Dartfordia," he began, indicating for her to follow him in to the building.
Vice Chancellor

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 10:46:17 PM »
"Thank you," Beatrice said as she followed him in. "I do hope you may forgive the unannounced visit, however, as the potential actions of the Dartfordian Government weren't so much as hinted to any Rokkenjiman official but instead the press, I figured we could agree to let each of those slide," she concluded with a grin.

"With that in mind I came to engage the Dartfordian Government in a manner which should have been pursued in the first place; discussing the issues of concern while finding a resolution which furthers what remains Rokkenjima's most cherished bond of trust with a foreign nation. I won't visit the topics of the benefits which QKNB serves for us mutually, or the economic benefits QKNB provides in a multitude of ways now, as I would rather much listen to your reasoning and work from there. So, Honourable Minister, what concerns does Dartfordia hold that it couldn't share with me through diplomatic channels?"

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline CGJ

• Vice Chancellor
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2018, 11:38:01 PM »
"Beatrice, you have enough experience in politics to know that it's a bad news day, we're all about to go on holiday and we had to cover the fact that we're closing an Air Force base. Plus, the news story was a leak, not a statement."

Lankly sighed. "Regardless, Rokkenjima is putting us in an invidious position. Your foreign policy drawing the ire of other nations. Your policy on Nurashima has put Lodjan hostages at risk of execution, you turn up completely unannounced on a diplomatic visit leaving us thoroughly unprepared, and you should've heard the diplomatic channels when you sent Adriana to meet Freya, the Morelanders didn't know what to do with themselves." The man leaned back slightly. "So not only are you making it more difficult, due to our countries' close relationship, for us to develop partnerships with Albion nations - but you're also using, without our consent, our own underage Princess for diplomatic affairs. Did you not think to consult your father-in-law? He's appalled, it goes against everything the Royal Family stand for."

"Now fortunately Rokkenjima has calmed down on the Borland front, but the continued presence of Katenka in Arendelle is striking fear in to people. It's something that used to make people feel safe, now they feel under threat. We need to see critical change in Rokkenjima's foreign policy, otherwise it's going to be a long haul flight to diplomatic isolation."
Vice Chancellor

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2018, 08:05:05 PM »
"To be honest the Borland situation should have been addressed years ago, instead it was determined by some to be a better use of our time to debate and vote upon their CTO membership," Beatrice sighed. "Missed opportunities which led us to where we are today, however, I recognize your concerns regarding Barnacle and other related areas. In the absence of coordination our common strategy has fallen apart, a condition which is most unfortunate. It shall be my goal to see things placed on the right track before my departure, so we shall need to look at those areas we find ourselves in disagreement and come to a mutual approach forward."

"As for the Crown Princess, to say I sent her would not be wholly truthful. She came to me with this idea and it's not within me to kill off the ambitions or initiatives of my daughter so I gave her my blessings. She will one day sit upon Chrysanthemum Throne, she should feel comfortable taking initiatives on, and it's not as if she wasn't surrounded by people she can trust such as Eva an d Mr. Cole. I am only thankful that she has the options to choose what she wishes to do and to pursue; such choices are not a luxury the Anselmo Family has had."

"So, let us turn your anger into something productive," Beatrice continued calmly as she handed Lankly a tablet. "Here we have the Treaty before us, while also an untitled document which we can work on together to bring those out of aligned policies back into alignment I spoke of earlier. Do you have any questions before we proceed?"

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline CGJ

• Vice Chancellor
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2018, 10:03:29 PM »
"Ma'am, if my 15-year-old son came to me with a 500-page plan on how to resolve a diplomatic dispute with one of our closest allies, I'd tell him well done - not send him off to battle," the man sighed, shaking his head. "Adriana may well be the Empress in 50 years, but she cannot be conducting affairs on behalf of Rokkenjima until she's reached an appropriate age. These actions have brought our own Royal Family in to disrepute. The Morelanders were incredibly generous not to snub her and that is a testament to their patience and respect, but even if she does wonder to charm Princess Freya, it's done nothing but hurt Rokkenjiman prestige."

Reaching down, Lankly pulled an amended copy of the treaty out of his bag, placing it on the table in front of them. "I don't have clearance to make further amendments to the treaty, but here is the Dartfordian government's proposed version. What is it you proposed for this untitled document?"

Treaty of Friendship, Cooperation and Security Between The First Empire of Rokkenjima And The Kingdom of Dartfordia
The Pyrettania-Hematite Accord

Rokkenjima and Dartfordia;

Desiring to strengthen and formalise the bonds of peace and friendship existing between them, and to uphold the principles commonly shared between them,

Desiring further to encourage closer diplomatic, cultural and defensive cooperation between them and to promote conditions of tranquility and prosperity in their countries,

Reaffirming their faith in the purposes and principles of the Commonwealth Treaty and the Fair Seas Concordat, and their desire to live in peace with all peoples and governments,

Recognising that they have the inherent right of individual and collective self defence,

Considering that they have a common concern in the maintenance of international peace and security upon the Ardian and Albion continents and abroad,

Having resolved to conclude a treaty of friendship, mutual cooperation and security,

Therefore agree as follows:

ARTICLE I

The Parties undertake to settle any international disputes in which they may be involved by peaceful means in such a manner that international peace, security and justice are not endangered and to refrain in their international relations from the threat or use of force against the territorial integrity or political independence of any state, or in any manner inconsistent with international law and norms.

ARTICLE II

The Parties will contribute toward the further development of peaceful and friendly international relations by strengthening their free institutions, by bringing about a better understanding of the principles upon which these institutions are founded, and by promoting conditions of stability and well-being.

ARTICLE III

The Parties agree to refrain from intervening in the domestic affairs of the other, and the domestic affairs of the other’s respective continent, without the consent of the other or the consent of any nation involved.

ARTICLE IV

The Parties will consult together from time to time regarding the implementation of this Treaty and, at the request of either Party, whenever the security of the Parties or international peace and security upon Ardia or Albion is threatened.

ARTICLE V

Each Party recognises that an armed attack against either Party’s domestic territory would be dangerous to its own peace and security and declares that they would consider action to meet the common danger in accordance with their existing domestic and international commitments.

Each Party shall agree to share military intelligence that is believed to be in the interest of the safety and security of the other signatory.

Neither Party may undertake any aggressive military action on the other’s continent and surrounding islands without the consent of the other party, unless such action is in retaliation for another act of war against such Party.

The terms of this Treaty shall not supersede those commitments already existing to LISA or other such international accords.

ARTICLE VI

For the purpose of contributing to the mutual security of Rokkenjima and Dartfordia, as well as the maintenance of international peace and security in Ardia and Albion, both parties are granted the use by its air and naval forces of certain specified facilities, ports and air fields in each nation.

This article extends only to regular or defensive operations, or where consent has been granted for offensive operations.

ARTICLE VII

In recognition of the shared memberships between the Imperial Family of Rokkenjima and the Royal Family of Dartfordia, the Parties agree that no shared member shall be granted power of plenipotentiary of or hold executive office in one Party without the consent of the other, except where such shared member is Head of State.

ARTICLE VIII

The Parties agree to allow citizens of the other nation visa-free access for the purposes of business, recreation or trade for a period of up to 180 days in a year, and easy visas for employment or any sustainable period of travel or residence beyond 180 days, subject to public policy, public security, public health or national security requirements.

ARTICLE IX

To promote joint economic prosperity between Rokkenjima and Dartfordia there shall be no tariffs imposed upon goods originating in either of the two nations.

The Parties further agree to implement tax policies to ensure a company originating in either Party is not a victim of double taxation.

The Treaty shall seek to maintain the existing student exchange program established by previous treaties.

ARTICLE X

This Treaty does not affect and shall not be interpreted as affecting in any way the rights and obligations of the Parties under the Charters of the CTO, LISA, or other such international institutions.

ARTICLE XI

This Treaty shall be ratified by the First Empire of Rokkenjima and the Kingdom of Dartfordia in accordance with their respective constitutional processes and will enter into force on the date on which the instruments of ratification thereof have been exchanged by them in Pyrettania.

This Treaty shall remain in force until such a time either Party views it as no longer serving their best interests.

Either Party may give notice to the other Party of its intention to terminate the Treaty, with due reason being stated, in which case the Treaty shall terminate one year after such notice has been given.

IN WHITNESS WHEREOF the undersigned Plenipotentiaries have signed this Treaty.

DONE at the City of Pyrettania, Azukishima Prefecture, Rokkenjima in the Rokkenjiman and English languages equally and authentic, this [DATE].

For Rokkenjima:

Empress of Rokkenjima
Princes of Littlebrook

For Dartfordia:
Vice Chancellor

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 11:42:56 PM »
"I will not go into the differences between our Imperial and Royal families, all I will say is we are blessed with a Crown Princess who is wise beyond her years. I'll see her ambitions are reigned in should she present another such plan to me in the future. We'll also see that your revisions are considered by the Imperial Council, though I foresee no great controversies arising and it should be a simple matter of acquiring your signature."

"As for the blank template before us, we'll review those policies which you've noted your concern with and reconcile them to a more common policy between our nations. These topics will include foreign policy, the matter of Barnacle, and ensuring that we're on the same page as we often have in the past. These measures will be taken to eliminate concerns regarding QKNB and ensure that it is a source of reassurance and a symbol of our great trust as it always has been."

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline CGJ

• Vice Chancellor
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2018, 12:44:09 AM »
"She may be wise beyond her years, but perhaps she should be encouraged to pursue things more appropriate for her age. I must note that her behaviour at school has drawn some very serious concerns.* As we make clear in our treaty proposal, she is to have no further public involvement in Rokkenjiman politics or diplomatic affairs until such time as she ascends the throne."

Lankly nodded. "Very well, shall we reconvene in the morning?"

* Not currently directly related to the existing Adriana Chronicles storyline, but will be for future reference
Vice Chancellor

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2018, 01:35:20 AM »
"That is something I will be sure to address with Alex," Beatrice said of her behaviour at school, "I know the next time she is in Rokkenjima we've a few of her favourite festivals coming up. Needless to say there will be plenty of opportunities for us to spend time more as a family. We'll have much to discuss."

"Reconvening in the morning shall be fine. Some rest is in order," Beatrice continued as she stretched. "I understand the Arovium is stationed at QKNB, should you wish to reconvene there it could provide an opportunity to make up for my arrival. The chefs aboard the Imperial Yachts are quite talented in a variety of cuisines so shall we say lunch is on me tomorrow?"

Beatrice Anselmo

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2018, 12:02:06 AM »

The Imperial Yacht Estvua

With confirmation that Mr. Lankly would indeed be joining her upon the Estvua Beatrice had seen that a full course would be prepared for their lunch, while setting up for continued talks in the Imperial Yacht's Conference Room. Normally used for meetings with the Imperial Government whilst abroad it boasted a full suite of modern communications systems, allowing for all the information and links which allowed the Austrana and Estvua to serve as floating Pyrena Castles. In the time since they had decided to continue talks the next day the RBC had reported on leaks from within the Imperial Government as well as threats to the Centre Party; the Empress did not enjoy the thought of an Imperial Diet guided more to the right, though the devotion the Imperialist Party had toward Chrysanthemum Throne could come in useful.

"Minister Lankly, welcome aboard," the Empress said upon his arrival. "We'll be continuing our talks in the Imperial Conference Room while lunch is being prepared as we speak. I must admit I'm not quite sure what you fancy so I've had them prepare a little bit of everything; you may inform them once lunch time comes. For myself, tenzaru soba, a traditional summer dish in Rokkenjima."

Gesturing for Mr. Lankly to sit, after which Beatrice sat across from him, she placed before him the most recent edition of the Morning Sun News on a tablet as continued coverage of the Rokkenjiman leaks played upon a few of the displays in the Conference Room. "As you can see, my position is becoming quite difficult; the Imperial Government knows how I detest leaks, especially those on the Imperial Council, as it distracts from the narrative of our talks. In case you are wondering I disagree with their position and will not be following their advice or desires," she smiled, "not quite yet, at least."

"You see I've always held a deep respect for Dartfordia and our moments shared in history, always showcasing the best of our respective nations. Somewhere along the way, however, we stopped engaging as much as we used to, our mutual understanding crumbled, and now we know not where the other stands. As I told the Imperial Council and made clear to the Diet I am not here to chide or lash out in anger, I am here to listen, to understand and restore that link of communication and bring us back into mutual alignment. They may wish to apply pressure but I promise it won't be easy for them to bring me to relent," she continued, offering Lankly a cup of tea before partaking of her own.

"Let us start with Barnacle, or as it is called in some circles Nurashima. The timing of such a decision and not accounting for a referendum of any sort were missteps to be certain, as was placing greater value upon the Rokkenjima-Heyra relationship than following the path we have in past questions of sovereignty over territory in question. I am certainly willing to revisit that decision and join Dartfordia in a more traditional approach while also working with Heyra to encourage their faith in such a process. Despite progress and treaties drafted between them Heyra still seems to harbour mistrust for the Morelanders, and likely don't feel comfortable with East Moreland and their Lodjan allies in regards to the islands. With this in mind if we may find an impartial party to manage a referendum we may have a path forward following the relief and reconstruction effort."

"As for the Crown Princess, I've some events planned for her when she has some time off from school. Her friends in Pyrettania would certainly enjoy seeing her again, while two music festivals present some time for us to explore our mutual love of music. I also wish to set her up with some lessons on the harpsichord; allow her mind to focus on something and explore her creative talents. She did always enjoy listening to me play when she was younger, pushing the keys at times when she grew old enough to sit beside me. Henry Cole also wishes to see her, although not of relation by blood he's been a sort of grandfather figure to her at home and perhaps he can be of help in addressing some of our mutual concerns as to her behaviour as of late."

"I've also done a bit of homework and came upon this mansion, abandoned and falling into disrepair. I would be interested in purchasing the property for utilization as a multi-purpose centre for housing as well as job training for those who fall into the vicious cycle of homelessness. It's always been a cause near to my heart, having volunteered at food charities and other outreach services for the poor at home. We may also explore utilizing part of the mansion, which would be restored in a historically responsible manner to preserve its historic character, as a community centre open free of charge, while utilizing the mansion's park for outdoor recreation, perhaps a world-class, purpose built Quidditch facility?"

"My apologies," Beatrice paused, "I've been talking so long and not allowing you an equal opportunity to speak. Please, do feel free to begin wherever you wish, and perhaps we can find ourselves at a solution before our conclusion today. If not, I shall remain at your service until you are satisfied upon the course we determine moving forward."
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:05:17 PM by Beatrice »

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline CGJ

• Vice Chancellor
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2018, 11:27:44 PM »
Lankly arrived on board the Estvua with the Cabinet Secretary, the most senior official and the principal adviser to the Prime Minister, Sir Ethan Bradbrook. They were both very aware of developments in Rokkenjima, both in terms of the Imperial Council and the Diet, and were prepared for an intense period of negotiation.  The Prime Minister had been spoken to, as had a number of other senior Cabinet members, and a general position on the day’s talks had been established.

Lankly and Bradbrook sat down opposite the Empress, politely accepting more traditional breakfast tea. Beatrice’s talk began as they expected, and they were encouraged by her position on Barnacle and Nurashima. The issues with Adriana were not a top priority, they were relatively uncaring about what she got up to so long as she didn’t embarrass the government or the Crown. The two men were, however, slightly thrown out by the proposal for some random mansion to be converted into a homeless shelter and quidditch facility.

“Uh, right,” Lankly begun, watching the screens repeat reports from Rokkenjiman and Dartfordian media outlets. “Well thank you for hosting us,” he said, “we are certainly pleased with the progress made yesterday and of course the adoption of a new policy towards the disputed Mhorish Sea islands. I think the new Rokkenjiman position is one that better reflects what you and your country historically sought to pursue in international affairs. I also hope Adriana has an enjoyable time, though my personal advice for letting kids go to festivals is,” he had a wry smile, “let them explore on their own.

“Anyway,” he continued, quickly taking a moment to check notes with Bradbrook, “we are certainly interested in considering the mansion idea, though that would require further time as we would have to prepare a report on the matter. I think perhaps we should consider some areas where are likely to have some disagreement. Now one of the fundamental concerns that the government, and indeed many people in this country, have is that the Kyne Fleet based at Katenka is too big. So big, in fact, that Rokkenjima has more destroyers and frigates based in Dartfordia than Dartfordia has destroyers and frigates. There are also concerns about the types of ships, like aircraft carriers, amphibious assaults ships and nuclear submarines, which are all from time to time based at Katenka.

“We’d therefore like to see a reduction in the overall number of ships permanently based in Katenka, based on the following numbers:” He handed a list over to Beatrice.

Spoiler: show
Assault vessel (current): 2
Future: 2

Aircraft carrier: 3
Future: 0

Amphibious assault ship: 2

Destroyers: 17
Future: 5

Frigates: 10

Cruiser: 11

Corvettes: 5

Submarines: 21

Support vessels: 7
Future: No limit (must remain proportionate to needs of the fleet the base serve’s, cannot be used for unrelated activities)

Additional limitations: No ships containing WMDs or missiles with long-distance capability, no future classes of ships with a principal or secondary purpose for a land invasion or aerial attack.

“We are willing, of course, to listen to any alternative proposals - and Rokkenjima may on a temporary basis increase their presence at the base with the consent of our government. This may also provide an opportunity for Dartfordian ships to group with Rokkenjiman ones in the Kyne and Alucard, to provide numbers for anticipated Rokkenjiman reductions.”
Vice Chancellor

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2018, 12:25:57 AM »
"If we look at the Kyne Fleet, itself a response to the Era of Soviet Aggression, the size of the Fleet represents the mission upon which it is formed: maintaining open sea lanes, targeting piracy, terrorism and black market activity, as well as the size of the Kyne itself. We now have the threat of Kaitaine, I am certain you are aware of their so-called 'ship killer', and with the present instability there we face perhaps a new host of threats to continued stability in the Sea of Kyne. With these situations in mind, now would not be a good time for us to hamper the capabilities of the Kyne Fleet."

"Eliminating aircraft carriers from the Kyne Fleet is a proposal which I am certain Imperial High Command will not be happy about; not only are these central to the profile of the Kyne Fleet, but their uses in humanitarian operations are another reason why their forward deployment is a benefit to both of our nations. The Essex Class, for example, is capable of producing some 400,000 gallons of purified water daily through using excess heat from the vessel’s reactor to evaporate sea water, or so I understand. If we look to the Excalibur Class, with its on-board hospital which includes a full lab, pharmacy, operating room, three bed intensive care unit, two bed emergency room, and forty one bed hospital ward which is staffed by eleven medical officers and thirty hospital corpsmen, and we can see where those capabilities continue to be factored into not just the defense mission of the Kyne Fleet, but its humanitarian missions as well."

"To ensure their safety, and for their abilities in other areas, we've a variety of vessels to meet a variety of challenges which may arise throughout the Kyne. Crises rarely present great warning, mandating that we be in a position of preparedness. Especially with the challenges presented by Zircon the IRN is pursuing a more submersible-oriented strategy which simply cannot be accomplished by five submarines. The proposed numbers leave little to be worked with."

"Now at present we have already established that Rokkenjiman operations must receive the sanction of the Dartfordian government unless those operations are humanitarian in nature," Beatrice continued. "As we've seen in the Illumic a request was made to the Seaforthian government to conduct operations, King Andrew declined the request, and Rokkenjima complied fully. To ease Dartfordian concerns I would be pleased to welcome a liaison of the Dartfordian Military to be permanently based at QKNB with full access as well as instantaneous authority to approve or reject operations. Furthermore, for each vessel over the proposed twenty seven you've presented me with, Rokkenjima would be willing to increase the yearly lease by र540k ($1m), which works out, at present numbers, to an additional र21.6m ($40m); funds such as these could go a long way toward rejuvenating areas which previously benefited from the presence of the Cross-Straits Union, for example."

"Millennial submarines themselves are at sea most of the time to provide a continuous deterrent, with no nuclear weaponry being deployed by the Imperial Rokkenjiman Armed Forces following their sale and donation to Seaforth for energy production. We also need to ensure that the Kyne Fleet represents a shared Rokkenjiman-Dartfordian profile based on the shared values of our nations. I can certainly relay concerns about the Millennial Class to Imperial High Command, however, as I stated the size of the Kyne Fleet represents its responsibilities and its large area of responsibility while removing capabilities which themselves play a large role in humanitarian operations. We can either have a Kyne Fleet which is fully capable, or one that has the legs kicked out from under it, the later of which certainly would do little to serve our mutual interests."

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline CGJ

• Vice Chancellor
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2018, 01:44:39 AM »
Lankly smiled and took a quick glance at his proposal. “We respect the Rokkenjiman position, and thank you for your proposals. We understand your concerns, particularly with regards to the developing risks abroad, we do also recognise the wider role Rokkenjiman ships have in deterring piracy and humanitarian aid.” He shifted in his chair. “However,” he lowered his tone slightly, “despite the vast capabilities of the Kyne fleet, it appears to get involved in very little. We see, 2 or 3 major uses for the fleet per year. This could easily be achieved by a smaller and more agile fleet.

“Second, Katenka is located next to the largest cruise terminal in Dartfordia, yet due to the huge number of Rokkenjiman ships from this one fleet - almost 50% larger than the entire Dartfordian Navy based at 4 separate ports - it is hogging the shipping lanes. Katenka separates the terminal from the ocean, forcing - when being used by the base - ships to travel around the base’s shipping lanes and in to the shipping lanes for Burnham. This was fine before 2014, when the Dartfordian Navy based only 15-20 ships there, and all movements were at night, but with 78 ships it is unsustainably disruptive. Cruise traffic has declined 10% in Arendelle, and the city has gone from a high reliability rate to worst of any major port on Albion besides Uppsala.

“Now this proposal takes your concerns regarding aircraft carriers and a significantly reduced Kyne fleet in to account. And below each one will be how many Dartfordian ships we will commit to the Kyne fleet, but will be based in another naval base.

Spoiler: show
Assault vessel (current): 2
Future: 2
No change

Aircraft carrier: 3
First proposal: 0
New proposal: 1
Dartfordian addition: 1

Amphibious assault ship: 2
No change

Destroyers: 17
First proposal: 5
New proposal: 6
Dartfordian addition: 2

Frigates: 10

Cruiser: 11
No change

Corvettes: 5
No change

Submarines: 21

Support vessels: 7
Dartfordian addition: 5

Additional limitations: No ships containing WMDs or missiles with long-distance capability, no future classes of ships with a principal or secondary purpose for a land invasion.

“This reduces the total Katenka fleet from 78 to 36 ships, a reduction of 42. This allows the base to reduce its usage of the shipping lanes, and limit movements to off-peak periods where possible. However, 12 Dartfordian ships will join the Kyne fleet, allowing for 48 ships in the Kyne fleet - a reduction of only 30 ships.[1]

“As for the increase in ground rent, we would be willing to accept half the proposed amount to be put in a special community fund designated for Arendelle.” Lankly sat back and sighed, rubbing his eyes. “You see…the world is changing, Beatrice. You have spent a long time out of the action, and the world has quickly moved on from the days of the Rokkenjiman superpower. Albion ad Alucard nations are coming together, forging closer and more practical alliances, alliances that we want to be a part of. A huge stumbling block is the strong presence of Rokkenjima…to them, Dartfordia is sometimes seen as your Trojan horse.”
 1. Edited to fix maths.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 02:19:16 AM by CGJ »
Vice Chancellor

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2018, 02:44:45 AM »
"Let's take this through another breakdown; for carriers, one aircraft carrier and one helicopter carrier, we can maintain the level of assault ships as presently stated. Through the removal of all Millennial Class submarines, a proposal Imperial High Command views as quite foolish, we could preserve non-missile submarines to maintain an effective check on Kaitaine should it decide to deploy its forces, or should some other situation occur which would place these Zircon missiles in a position to threaten the Kyne. Finally, in times of emergency, those vessels departing the Kyne Fleet would be green-lighted to be reassigned to the Kyne Fleet to meet the threat at hand," Beatrice said after a quick glance at the new proposal.

"It is interesting," Beatrice said after a pause, "that the world of today is, in many ways, increasingly more dangerous, with the threat of the Borlanders seeping out from the borders of East Moreland, civil conflict in other spheres; it seems in my absence things have grown worse instead of better. We both remember the days where powers cried for Rokkenjima to do less, others where it cried for her to do more, never satisfied. In confidence I say to you that the present situation facing the international community is unacceptable; neither the CTO nor the CMA is capable of maintaining even a level comparable to the days of Warsaw and, even without a threat such as Warsaw, we've two accumulations of military might aligned against...what, exactly? These are the challenges which need to be addressed should I be able to leave the Crown Princess with a safe world."

"These are of course matters which would be best approached by Rokkenjima and Dartfordia in understanding, though perhaps such topics are best left for a more formal meeting, to allow you time to prepare of course. We both share a responsibility for constructing the present order and allowing it to reach the point it has, after all."

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline CGJ

• Vice Chancellor
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2018, 03:06:31 PM »
Lankly listened to Beatrice’s concerns, comparing them with the information he had before him. “Right,” he began, conferring with Bradbrook for about 30 seconds before continuing. “We are maintaining our current offer - a maximum of 36 Rokkenjiman ships to be based in Dartfordia at any one time in accordance with the restrictions set out. If Rokkenjima wishes to add more ships to the Kyne fleet from Rokkenjima or another non-Dartfordian base, we are not going to prohibit that, but we cannot make any guarantee that vessels departing from the Kyne fleet will get any automatic right to utilise Katenka or Dartfordian ports without the explicit consent of the Dartfordian government.

“Our offer of Darfordian ships in the Kyne fleet stands,” he paused, “and we would be willing to contribute 1 Dartfordian amphibious assault ship to be used exclusively for humanitarian purposes. In terms of aircraft carriers, aircraft and helicopters can be dispatched from regular aircraft carriers - therefore having 1 Rokkenjiman and 1 Dartfordian provides more than enough support for the fleet.

“You speak of powers crying out for Rokkenjima to do more - yet the last few years have seen a complete collapse in trust in Rokkenjima. From being complicit in a genocide to throwing yourselves head first into the Barnacle island debacle, Rokkenjima has done little to mitigate against the growing threats in the world, leaving a power vacuum that has been exploited, but which the world is now moving on from. Take TUNA for example, the the Sea of Alucard was traditionally dominated by the Kyne fleet’s anti-piracy operations, with each respective nation only covering their home turf, yet now this huge area of open water is being maintained and patrolled by local nations working in co-operation.”
Vice Chancellor

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2018, 12:50:30 AM »
Following a moment of consultation of her own Beatrice looked up, "We'll begin a draw-down of Kyne Fleet forces based at QKNB with a time table of one year, to one year and six months. This allows for the necessary transfers to take place and other arrangements to be worked out on the Rokkenjiman side. As we've rejected a larger contingent being based at QKNB, which was a perquisite of the increased funds to be paid in relation to QKNB, I believe this proposal may be forced to be set aside for further consideration, as I will need to discuss it further with the Imperial Diet in light of the Dartfordian position. Furthermore I believe an in-kind reduction of the forces stationed at His Majesty's Dartfordian Naval Base Akrotiri may be called for, as Dartfordian forces are rarely active in the region and the Imperial Rokkenjiman Navy is more than capable of ensuring the security and stability of those waters. Such measures are sure to be pounced upon by the incoming Parliament and some on the Imperial Council."

"Let's see, I do believe that would work out to a...we'll say 46% reduction of vessels presently at Akrotiri. While representing a lesser number of vessels a timetable similar to that Rokkenjima will be working with in regard to its QKNB transfer would not be an issue. If you would wish to present an alternative to this plan I am certainly open to considering it, and will do my best to work with what you present to me. Now you speak of the Toshindai Genocide, I'm quite sorry however Rokkenjima was essentially under a state of de-facto coup. To hear the line of Rokkenjiman complicity out of Dartfordia is somewhat disappointing, however, in the interests of our mutual relationship I shall leave it at that."

"With these topics out of the way, we've still a few matters at hand," Beatrice said as she looked at her watch. "It's about lunch time, thus if you would like to break for lunch and reconvene perhaps we may return to those few topics which remain."

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline CGJ

• Vice Chancellor
  • Basically New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2018, 02:04:36 AM »
"We refer only to the Toshindai genocide as a matter of international perception. Dartfordia has never taken the view that Rokkenjima was complicit in the genocide, we understand the specific nuances behind it - but ultimately public perception of the genocide is one that has been difficult to shake. We hope, however, that today's talks mark a change in actions and perceptions."

Lankly took a moment to consider the Akrotiri proposals, flicking through his information stack, before producing the current fleet size. "Okay, we presently have 1 amphibious assault ship, 3 destroyers, 3 frigates, 3 submarines, 1 icebreaker, 1 survey vessel and 1 patrol boat. A total of 13 ships, well...12 as the patrol boat is about the size of this room. The patrol boat is used to support the local fishing economy as an immediate first-responder, and essentially replaced the Rokkejiman patrol service already based in Akrotiri, so we'll leave those out of the equation if we may. We propose a reduction of 4 ships, the amphibious assault ship and one of the frigates, submarines and destroyers. We would be...uncomfortable lowering the numbers below 8 as it would render the base almost entirely unviable for us."

Finally, he added, "with regards to ground rent, we are prepared to accept the maintenance of the existing ground rent. With Dartfordian ships joining the Kyne Fleet, we would also wish to ensure there was some co-operation at operations level as you suggested. But yes, lunch."
Vice Chancellor

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2018, 03:51:59 AM »
"As do I," Beatrice concurred, "though the Imperial Government has taken what steps it can in response to the Toshindai Genocide, especially as the actions undertaken were not with the consent of the legitimate government of Rokkenjima. Not to dwell upon it too long, I found myself isolated and rendered ineffective all while that bastard Ofdensen held the lives of those I love and care about in his hands. I have always been a woman of action, and one man effectively cornered me. It is not a position I had found myself in since the Second Patriotic War, nor one I would wish anyone to find themselves in."

"I'm not sure what it is, but you Dartfordians have always had a way of eventually wearing my guard wholly away. With Alex it was much quicker, so it pains me the way some choose to paint him these days. His heart is perhaps too gentle, or perhaps I didn't adequately prepare him to act in my absence, either way I know his character and it is a far greater force than those who portray him in such cruel language. Do excuse me," Beatrice said as she recomposed herself, "let us continue where we left off, yes?"

"Naturally I recognize the practicalities of the base reductions. This at least gives me something to present the more, shall we say hawkish, members of the Imperial Council and Diet. I trust you understand actions such as this are not done in a malicious spirit, however, even I have my limits when faced with both of those institutions aligned as such. I'll work with the Imperial Government to see that the funds for such a fund can be made available, though I can promise nothing yet."

Following the conclusion of this set of discussions Beatrice led them to the dining room, where lunch was being presented. "I've already noted what I am having, which I still recommend if you've yet to sample it, however they're capable of making anything that you should desire."

Beatrice Anselmo