Author Topic: Entrenched in ancient ideals and ancient moral values: Clysperis and Tamora  (Read 5547 times)

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Samantra

The general mood and how the press presented the visit

Tamora did not see many visits by foreign HoS and fewer still of those visits where from countries that could be considered friends of Tamora, a visit from Clysperis one such rare occasion. Young Pharaoh Bektaten was visiting Tamora for the first time. Tamora and Clysperis had a long history together dating back hundreds of years a fact mentioned a lot by the Tamoran press. However, some analysts were quick to point out that perhaps the key ingredient to the excellent relation had been the fact that the two did not share a border and many speculated that if the situation were otherwise then Clysperis might have been annexed by Tamora or the two might not be on so friendly terms.

Speculations aside, the Tamoran press focused extensively on the very long history of Clysperis going back more than four and a half millennium dwarfing by comparison Tamora’s one thousand year history. In a country like Tamora where people cherished the morality of their ancestors, Clysperis immense history was seen with fascination. The press also drew the conclusion that it was this long history and tradition of Clysperis that was the reason why the Tamoran protectorate ended and the Forth kingdom was established, though historians, especially those from Clysperis would probably disagree.

Despite this, not all in Tamora were happy with the visit and the state visit from Clysperis had managed to divide the Manist community along the traditional lines: while the conservatives and liberals where happy with the visit and encouraged people to come and attend, the orthodox Manists on the other hand where far from happy. They did not care much about the good relations between Tamora and Clysperis and instead focused on the fact that the Pharaoh Bektaten was of a different faith, and not just a different faith but a foreign and polytheist one. To make matters worse, the Pharaoh Bektaten was also the head of the Clysperis religion and claimed to be either a living god or at the minimum more than human. All that irked the Orthodox Manists and they weren’t the only ones to be displeased; the Islamic community in Tamora was also not thrilled with the good relations Tamora had with Clysperis. They had a religious connection with Abydos, the first Islamic country in Mundus , where Mecca was situated and where the kingdom’s the traditional/ native faiths (the one that Clysperis had) were restricted. To have the Pharaoh of Clysperis in Djerb and be met with full honors as a friend was seen as a betrayal of the Islamic world and threatened the good relations Manists had with Mulisms, something that the Islamic community in Tamora was not afraid to publicly state.

The debate got even more heated as the date of arrival of the Pharaoh Bektaten got closer, a few days before her arrival the king of the federated kingdom of Altai (the Islamic kingdom) joined the debate and asked rhetorically “What about Abydos? When will we see Pharoah Enna Amenei come to Tamora? Shouldn’t we focus more on the Islamic Abydos rather than the non-Islamic Clysperis”? 

In order to calm things down, Emperor Abbas made an address to the nation, appealed to calm and asked the people to greet Pharaoh Bektaten as a friend of Tamora. While that didn’t necessary change people’s minds it did mean that the public debate subsided with the orthodox Manists being content to protest the coming of Pharaoh Bektaten by praying in public just as they did when the Catholic Pope came to Djerb the previous year. The press in order to avoid contentious issues stopped mentioning the religious role of the Pharaoh of Clysperis and instead focused more on the historical events that linked the two countries and well as the strong economic links that existed today with Clysperis using the Tamoran Dinar and also having indentured servitude, a lighter form of slavery as it was seen in Tamora.

Djerb international airport – the day of the visit

The Tamoran welcoming delegation awaiting the arrival of Pharaoh Bektaten was huge in number: including but not limited to the ministers of the cabinet, the kings of Tamora and Emperor Abbas with his First Wife Alya. Once Pharaoh Bektaten had touched the tarmac, Emperor Abbas and Alya approached the Pharaoh and greeted her:

“Welcome to Tamora, Your Majesty. We are honored to have you here.”

Then Abbas proceeded to introduce Pharaoh Bektaten to the welcoming “committee” starting with his wife, the kings of Tamora and the most important cabinet members. After the formal presentations were done, a 21 gun salute was fired and them the national anthems where sang starting with Clysperis’ anthem as customary. After the anthems were sang, Emperor Abbas invited the Pharaoh to review the honor guard. Once that was done, the two delegations proceed to the next site on the agenda.

Spoiler:  main highlights  • show

The Tamoran honor guard arriving to greet the Pharaoh.

From the Airport to the Cemetery of Martyrs in Djerb

The road from the airport to Djerb was clear of traffic thanks to the local authorities that blocked all traffic. That allowed the convoy to reach the city in record time. It made its way to the center of Djerb to the Ancestors' Square, the main square in the city. The Square was packed full of people who came to greet the Imperial family and to see the Pharaoh, the sovereign of the most ancient land of Midaranye as the press called her. Abbas and Alya both waved at the people which waved back and threw flowers at the car. Throwing flowers was not something that Tamorans usually felt comfortable doing when greeting nobles but since Alya become more and popular and liked it became somewhat of a tradition wherever there was a delegation with her present. Some also threw flowers at the Pharaoh but to a much lesser extent though their curiosity was sky-high. 

Once the convoy reached the Cemetery of Martyrs, the oldest of the military cemeteries of Tamora, Abbas invited the Pharaoh to join him in leading a detachment of soldiers dressed in official military uniform that carried a wreath. At the end of the road they reached the main moment dedicated to the Tamoran Imperial soldiers that lost their lives in the conflict which lead to the establishment of the Protectorate of Tamora.
Abbas then proceeded to give a short speech:

“We have gathered here today, in the presence of HM Pharaoh Bektaten, the monarchs of Tamora, Ayatollahs of our Church and all the other honorable guests to pay our respects to those who committed the ultimate sacrifice to free Clysperis of the Soviet rule and ultimate reinstate the rightful rulers of Clysperis to the throne. The sacrifice of these men and the blood that they spilled is what binds our nations together.
I would like to read part of the letter that Private Namvar Jaamooji of the Imperial Army sent to his family while he fought in Clysperis in 1979:

“Never in my life have I seen such wonders as the Pyramids of Clysperis. I watched in awe of what their ancestors built and the heritage they have inherited. I understand little of what they say but I do understand is that they share their same respect of their ancestors and their customs as we do. They pray often as we do and seek to have their homeland return to their ancient rulers and return the old way of their ancestors."

The officer told us that the battle of tomorrow will be crucial and that many of us will not make it. Please pray for us.“

Private Namvar Jaamooji died the following day and is now buried in sector 8, row 9, position 25 of the cemetery. His letter explains best what the values that we share are. But it does more than that, it explains why we as monarchs have a duty to keep the traditions of our forefathers; not the traditions and customs that we would like to have, certainly not the traditions foreign powers want us to have but the ways of our ancestors. We do not bend when others pressure us and we do not need powers outside of Midaranye to solve our problems, we can manage on our own. We have more history and ancient traditions than anywhere else in Mundus.

Private Namvar Jaamooji is just one of the countless martyrs that are buried all around us. We commemorate their sacrifice, pray for their souls and most importantly we must in our daily lives keep true to our traditions so that their sacrifice would not have been in vain.

Thank you all, may God bless our two great nations. “

As he finished his speech, Abbas made way for Pharaoh Bektaten to give a short speech if she would like.

After waiting for the ceremony to finish, a much smaller convoy made its way to the Imperial Palace as most of the less important members of the Tamoran delegation returned to their duties.

Spoiler:  main highlights • show

Ancestors' Square saw a huge crowd that where there for both the Imperial family as well as the Pharaoh.

Meanwhile, Orthodox Manists lead by their Imams protested on the secondary streets of Djerb by praying in public just as they did when Pope Peter II came to Djerb.

Hundreds of miles away, the Muslims in the Kingdom of Altai also prayed in public facing Abydos. The words Allahu Akbar (God is the Greatest) could be heard numerous times during the prayers. It is also the motto the of the federated kingdom of Altai.

Cemetery of Martyrs, the oldest Imperial military cemetery.

The Tamoran delegation laying a wreath at the Cemetery of Martyrs

Djerb  - Imperial Palace

The Tamoran Imperial Palace was also a symbol of the close connection the two countries had. When the soviets invaded Clysperis and established the Soviet republic there it was here that the ruling family of Clysperis first took refugee before a more appropriate accommodation could be found for them and the government in exile. Nine years later, when Tamora annexed Attica after a brief war, it was here that the Safavid emperor of that time and the Pharaoh in exile celebrated the victory. Now, more than sixty years after those events, Emperor Abbas Safavid and the young Pharaoh Bektaten were in the dining room surrounded by a small army of slave servants that were there to attend to their every need.

After the greetings were done, as the two HoS stayed at the table, Abbas addressed the pharaoh:

“I am glad you came to Tamora. Talking on the phone is one thing but seeing people in person and talking face to face is another. You can’t really have a high degree of trust between two people if they’ve never meet before in person.  Before we stray off to international politics as I have no doubt we will eventually, please tell me how is the kingdom of Clysperis nowadays. It’s been rather quiet. If there is one thing I have to thank the enemies of Tamora is that at least they put the Empire on the headlines of the international press so part of what goes on here gets out for the whole world to see but Clysperis has been rather quiet. “

Spoiler:  main highlights • show

The large wooden table that the two HoS were using was lavishly decorated and engraved with the map of Midaranye at the center. It also had following quote engraved in both Parthian and Egyptian “If patience is worth anything, it must endure to the end of time. And a living faith will last in the midst of the blackest storm.*” The table was custom made in the early 1950s at the request of the Tamoran Emperor. At that time, the Pharaoh of Clysperis was in exile in Tamora and at times hope seemed lost that he would ever get his throne back or that Tamora would eventually help when needed. The Tamoran Emperor ordered the table and used it every time the two met as a reminder that Tamora will not forget its promise to help and that no matter how long it takes, the Pharaoh or his successor will get their throne back.

OOC: If the internet is right, it’s a quote from Mahatma Gandhi.

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Beatrice/Rokkenjima
Following the conclusion of the Emperor's speech Bektaten gestured to speak and, when the time came, she stood solemnly before those assembled.

"The great endeavours of Tamora are not lost upon the Clysperi even to this day. Those who were alive for the Soviet occupation and our eventual liberation revere Tamora, those who have been born since are taught of the sacrifices and efforts undertaken by Tamora to correct history and return to Clysperis that which was stolen by the Soviet hordes who feasted upon our culture, identity and People to expand their decrepit sphere of influence. I, unfortunately, do not have the same benefit of my father in holding a personal relationship with Tamora or her People, I was not even thought of at this time mind you, and his untimely death left little time for me to be properly introduced to "the brave warriors of the South, those who came to liberate, the honoured Tamorans," as you are known to us in the Kingdom. Private Namvar Jaamooji, and all those brave warriors who fought on our behalf, represent the spirit of Tamora I was ingrained with as a young Clysperi; each night in my consult with our gods I hold them close to my heart and pray endlessly that, in the afterlife, they have been most justly rewarded for their great sacrifices.

"It is also not lost upon me that, despite the historic ties to Abydos, it was Tamora who came to Clysperis in our greatest hour of need. As I said in my dispatch before my arrival in your lands I come not as a living God, in all the arrogance such a proclamation itself holds, but as a humble guest who seeks to know more of the great friends her father held only words of reverence for. Tamora, to me and so many of my compatriots, is seen as an ancient mountain face; it has faced such great winds bearing down upon it but, at the end of the day, it remains standing tall and proud, a monument to the greatness of its People and the culture which guides it to this day. It is because of Tamora that my Kingdom stands sovereign and free, and we shall never forget your sacrifices and dedication. We shall not hold your differences as something to be scorned but to be embraced, and we shall forever stand ready to repay that great sacrifice, for in the blood spilled so bound our nations unto perpetuity."

"And so I bow to you, the great People of Tamora, to the martyrs who laid down their life, in my eternal gratitude," Bektaten said as she first bowed, lowering herself to her knees for a moment's time, before rising again.

"Your Imperial Majesty, you've shown me hospitality and graciousness that my father often spoke of, I thank you most humbly," Bektaten said. "For so long my nation has been silent, and there is good reason for that, but after the fate which found my father and eldest brother I determined that reaching out to our most cherished of friends was the immediate and just course the Kingdom had to take. Unfortunately there are those in my midst who would so foolishly throw away the example of Tamora and cast aside our ties to the previous and wise generations, turning Clysperis into a soulless husk in a pursuit for a secular entity, whoring our nation to appease the internationalist cartel. It's part of the reason you speak with me today, for I have good reason to believe that the misfortune which greeted my father and eldest brother were not accidents, but efforts to subvert the will of the Gods and see Clysperis remolded in their wicked designs."

Bektaten sighed, "Even on this day I cannot find the full joy I should, my mind must be focused on those who would betray my family from our own tribes. I believe, however, that my father knew this day would come and in his wisdom, and that imparted to him by the Gods, our Peoples would once again stand in unquestionable unity and meet any challenge which should visit us. He always told me that "the Tamorans are our friends, in times of question, seek them out for wisdom and refuge." So I come to you, the daughter of Ramses V, to reaffirm the friendship of our Peoples and States, to end our silence, and to seek out your wisdom while also revering all those who came before; whether in the defense of my Kingdom or otherwise."

Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of the Independent Order
Empress of the First Empire of Rokkenjima

Factbook of the First Empire of Rokkenjima - Kingdom of Clysperis

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
While Pharaoh’s speech was appreciated and moved many in the audience it was the gesture of lowing herself to her knees that left the audience speechless as none of them expected such a gesture of reverence. The Tamoran press immediately distributed the images through all media channels and would soon begin to “digest” the gesture and the Pharaoh’s speech.

“First of all, the blood of Ramses V flows through your veins. He was one of my friends; you have shown today that you want to be a friend of Tamora, friends call each other by their first names. Please call me Abbas. “

“It sadness me to hear such troubles plague your kingdom but rest assured that you did well to come to me and that they can be overcome with patience and determination. We should focus first on the immediate problem; you say that you have reasonable proof that the death of your father and brother were not accidents? That is of grave concern and regardless of whom and why they did it they must be utterly destroyed and made an example of or you risk not only meeting their fate but also to embolden them to usurp the authority of the position of Pharaoh in general."

"The pursuit of secularism and the desire to appease any foreign country to the detriment your own customs and traditions, also called internationalism, are structural problems that need time to address. Generally sovereigns have immense power that they can wield to punish those under their authority but they can do little to change people’s hearts and minds. They can set the rules and punish people if they catch them breaking the rules but they cannot make people like the rules they set up and people won’t follow all rules and do anything you tell them out of fear of punishment, they need to be convinced the rules are necessary and just.  Your case is special since your people see you as a god and with your charisma and oratory skills you can also change people’s mind to an extent. Still you will need time and with such traitors in your midst you have to address them first before you begin consolidating your power."

"So you have any suspicions about who the traitors might be and just how much support they have within the kingdom? “

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
"As you wish, Abbas," she replied with a smile, before turning to matters of more grave importance.

"Yes, even amongst the ranks of the traitors there are those whose oath of loyalty tugs at their hearts to do the right thing, informing me of the plot which was hatched. In all nations, regardless of how homogeneous they may appear from the outside, there are always sects which are pulled in different ways; I learned this in my studies at Ashinxao University. It wasn't part of the curriculum per say, but observations anyone could make if they knew what to look for. I must admit that I admire their ability to maintain their culture even as an internationalist power, perhaps that is a tool however, a club with which they slam other nations for not ascending to their enlightened positions."

"Now if we look to other examples of coups it's often not the best interests of the People or their needs which are tended to, only a veneer which to curry favour with the usurpers. I've the Temples, the air force and I imagine a good portion of the land forces in firm loyalty, it's the navy which would present challenges as they could disrupt oil operations in the Gulf as well as mercantile traffic in and out of the Kingdom. I'm also certain they will be pouring over every detail they should get a hold of regarding this meeting, to see if the bonds transcend from Ramses V to his heir; although, should they strike, I've already ideas on how to use that to our advantage," she continued with a sly grin.

"At this time they're still figuring me out, seeing if I am willing to accommodate their designs. The population remains, for the most part, devout; this is where the Temples come in as a great asset to ensuring the stability of my government. There's few who would invite the wrath of the Gods, you see, unless they knew they would win. My leads point to a General, a respected hold-over from the times of occupation, but my sources are still working to present me with a more clear picture of this operation. Naturally, as information becomes available to me, I will relay it to you."

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
 Abbas listened carefully to Bektaten and the worrying news she was brining and then replied:

“You’re young Bektaten and therefore bold but don’t underestimate them. If they truly ended your father’s and brother’s lives then they are force to be reckoned with. “

“My commitment to Ramses V extends to you as well and should you need our help, Tamora will there. I will instruct my foreign intelligence to pay extra attention to foreign interference in Clysperis since the traitors will likely have connections aboard. While it is unlikely they will find anything soon it never hurts to try. “

“If your intelligence agency is loyal to you then I suggest you also use it to identify and monitor the families of the navymen of Clysperis. Should the traitors try anything, immediately placing their families in protective custody should ensure their compliance in the critical hours and days needed to get things in order.”

“I am glad to hear the temples and the people are behind you as that means whatever the traitors are scheming must be done in the shadows or through machinations rather than publicly going against you and using your own people against you.  Please do keep me informede since what you tell me is of grave concern.”

“While the threats you are currently facing are of most importance, I believe we should not forget the long term risks. I think one of the ways we can ensure that such treasonous actions are not tried again and that their pursuit for a secular Clysperis, broken of its millennia old traditions is all but impossible to achieve, is to allow and tofoster close cultural and economic bounds between our peoples. There are many differences between our peoples as you yourself have said but there are also many things we have in common. The Tamoran identity is born out of religion and its society it’s anything but secular. Tamorans value and respect their traditions, having that cultural influence over Clysperis will strengthen the stability of your kingdom.”   

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
"Oh I've no doubt of that, just as I would approach a dangerous snake so too do I view them with the full understanding of the situation. In truth I trust that they shall underestimate me, and in that mistake shall lay my strength. If there are operations for which your intelligence agents require a presence within the Kingdom do consider this as me granting my full sanction to their presence. Sometimes an eye which holds a different vantage point is required to see that which is otherwise most elusive to us."

Bektaten smiled, "I am pleased to hear you say that, it is my full intention to return home with a formal standing between our two nations, something that will also be symbolized in me seeking your guidance on the Theocracy which battles the children of Stalin for the soul of Kaitaine. My government is prepared to recognize them, however, you know them better than we do as you have already embarked on this path by recognizing them. What can you tell me of them, what odds do they face for success? How may we help them should we recognize them?"

Bektaten paused for a moment, "We have several options before us, for example Tamora is so heavily sanctioned throughout Mundus it is beyond ridiculous. If any child of Helus feels they are persecuted what of the Manists who are reviled the world over just for who they are? Anyway, excuse my digression, I wished to invite your businesses to establish operations within my borders, utilizing Clysperi labour to avoid sanctions. Perhaps a 'special economic zone' could be established with preferential terms for Tamoran businesses to incorporate?" she asked.

Their conversation was interrupted briefly by a call from home, yet another suitor had to be brought to her attention. "I swear these men the nobles try to throw at me, it's increasingly frustrating. Even here I cannot escape it, and it's always the same; Clysperi men who look beyond me and see the prestige, influence and power sitting aside the Living Horus would bring to their name. It's one of the reasons I was sent abroad for my education, perhaps father wished for me to ensnare some foreigner, but they were just as boring. Except instead of looking beyond me for the aforementioned reasons, they saw dollar signs and exotic visions of us in pyramids amidst the sands of Clysperis. I've even had the heads of our military branches lift up their sons in the pursuit of their agendas."

"My apologies, there's just so few people I have to speak of such issues, you never know what will be repeated and to whom, and all the people I could speak to have been stolen from me. I feel a comfort around you, a trust that I don't feel around most, I don't have to maintain a guard or hide behind walls with worry you'll use my words against me. Thus I both apologize for my outburst whilst thanking you all the same."

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
"You are frank with me Bektaten so I will be frank with you. It wasn’t really my choice to recognize the Theocracy. If you remember, it all started with our Church and their synod. They have long been unhappy with what they perceive as me being too passive in handling the Slavan crisis and their decision to invite the Bene Gesserit to Tamora was their way of showing publicly there are displeased. It’s true I could have left the issue there and not issue recognition of the Theocracy but that would have meant to needlessly antagonize them. Tamora works best when the government and the Church are on the same page. The theocracy is a too small issue to be worth having a disagreement over it with the Church. I am telling you this because often our external policy is dictated by our internal one rather than the other way around as in some nations. Your father understood that about Tamora and I think it’s best moving forward if you also understand that since it will give an insight that many, especially outside Midaranye, lack.

That aside, the Theocracy is a complicated issue and to be honest there is little cooperation if any taking place between my government that the BG or their theocracy. We have made attempts to strengthen our relations and them having an embassy in Djerb is a small first step but nothing notable. It’s my impression that they remain committed to winning the war without outside interference. Whether that is because they fear that if they accept outside help then other nations like East Moreland will feel obligated to offer support to the Soviet government or something else entirely, I have no idea. We don’t have much info but my experts say they stand no chance to defeat the soviets militarily, whatever hope there is for them to win it has to come by having the soviet government crumble because up uprisings, defections, strikes etc. The best thing we can do to help them right now is to recognize them and to push for them to be treated like any sovereign country. Every country that recognizes them chips away at the legitimacy of the Soviet government. Once a sufficient number of countries follow this course, the soviets will no longer be the government of Kaitaine but the disputed government of Kaitaine. One way we could convince other nations to join us or at least sanction the soviet government is to continue to talk about the abuses the soviets perpetuate against the population. The Bene Gesserit, despite their efforts, have had little success in telling average people in Mundus just how oppressive the soviet government it.

Step two would be to understand more of what the BG need as relations between us develop. That isn’t easy with them but we’ll see as we move along. The way I see it, helping the Theocracy by recognizing it has some advantages for us: it keeps the soviets occupied in their territory and forces them to allocate more resources there rather that interfering in Midaranye. A second thing which will perhaps be counter intuitive is that Rokkenjima will inevitably Clysperis and that will give our two peoples another common enemy and help us counter Rokkenjima’s cultural influence in Midaranye. I don’t know about your temples, but ours are having a field day every time a major nation sanctions us as they confirm what they have been preaching to the faithful, that there is little love for Tamora outside our borders. These are the reasons I suggest you join us in recognizing the Theocracy despite not having a clear path in front of us. It will also, as you said, send a clear message both home and abroad that our agenda and interests are aligned. Should one of us have trouble, the other will come to his aid.  “ 

“I think having a “special economic zone” in Clysperis where Tamoran business can incorporate is a wonderful idea. Tamoran businesses have been pressuring me for some time to find a way for them to incorporate at least the part of the business they do with foreigners since they are at a disadvantage at present. If something goes wrong, they answer with everything they have, if something goes wrong for the foreign partners they just go bankrupt and start a new business. It is one of the reasons I agreed to set up the Heyran Elysium city state in the first place. And the benefits for Clysperis’ economy are also evident, not to mention the cultural ones, rather than have Clysperi working for some foreign company that will inevitably promote their alien culture, our businesses will bring with them the Tamoran mentality. I do however ask you to promise me that any Tamoran business that incorporates in Clysperis would have that privilege revoked should I ask for that to happen. Business interests are already powerful as they are in Tamora, I need to make sure they do not overstep their place in the Empire. Our nations share a common currency, which is something that not many nations in Mundus can say despite spending years if not decades of “working together” so we should build on that. It should be the backbone of our economic cooperation. “

“I don’t blame your suitors. You have power Bektaten, and people are naturally drawn to it like a magnet. It’s like the heat in Midaranye, there’s little that can be done to change it.”

“If you don’t mind, I would like to invite my son Naser to talk to you a bit about some proposals he has about improving our economic cooperation. I don’t like to admit it but he does a better job at explaining things than me when it comes to these things.” After Bektaten gave her consent, Abbas stood up and left the room for a couple of minutes and returned with his son, Naser. Abbas could have asked a servant to bring Naser to the meeting room but according to Tamoran protocol that would have been disrepectful since Naser was his son.

Naser presented himself to Bektaten before starting:

“With your permission Your Majesty, I would like to talk first about your proposal to establish the special economic zone in Clysperis. I believe my farther has already informed YM about the potential benefits on both sides. So what I would like to propose is that these SEZ in Clysperis allow our businesses to incorporate there and follow Tamoran law and commercial practices. Our laws tend to be permissive and favor business growth, it’s the lack of the ability to incorporate that is a major hurdle for our businesses so allowing them to incorporate there, follow the established commercial practices they have in Tamora and combined with our common currency that should be more than enough to make the place very attractive for Tamoran businesses without having to lower the income tax. Of course, the issue of slavery will not be part of the commercial practices as to not create needless international complications. Tamoran businesses will not use slave labor except for the local indentured servants.
Another issue I would like to talk about, YM, is our common currency. In my time I have spent working for the Tamoran Central Bank I can tell YM that while we do share a currency we are far from sharing anything else when it comes to our banking system. One thing I would like to suggest is to establish a delegation from our central bank to go to YM central bank and see what can be done to bring together at least the banking regulations between our countries.   

The other thing that I would like to talk about is the Tamoran dinar itself. Currency is important not just for economic reasons but also because of cultural ones. Right now our shared currency is the Tamoran dinar and from my limited talks with our counterparts in the Clysperis central bank, the feedback we got  is that the average Clysperi sees the currency as that: the Tamoran dinar that happens to also be used by Clysperis. Of course there is a historical reason for why Clysperis is using the dinar and we won’t get into that since we all know it. However, I believe the Clysperi people need to feel a cultural attachment to the dinar, as being part of Clysperis rather than a foreign currency they happen to use. It is for this reason that I have proposed to introduce a new banknote: the 200 dinar, the largest ever in our history. This new banknote will be a first not just in value but also in its design; on the obverse it will feature the Mausoleum of Alya, the most important figure in our Manist religion, second only to the Prophet himself, and will also feature the motto “Nothing without God”. While on the reverse it will feature a symbolic image of Clysperis: be it the image of the current Pharaoh or YM’s father, the Pyramids, the Sphinx or any other imagery or combination thereof that YM might see fit. We would also appreciate if you could give us a motto to write along with the imagery.  I believe money is more important than just its transactional use, they also have a great symbolic value and this new banknote gives as the chance to bring our people together around shared values.
So if YM could tell me whether any of the proposals are to YM liking I could get to work on implementing them as soon as possible.” Naser finished his speech, giving the Pharaoh a chance to reply.

Spoiler:  OOC • show

I had in mind something like this.

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
"Then my course is clear,"  Bektaten replied with a smile, "Already I knew the direction my heart pulled me on the Theocracy, but that course is much more certain now. I shall have my government announce my decision to the world where we shall meet any opposition with firm standing. If the Rokkenjimans come at us with their sanctions, well, Clysperis has lived without them just fine, we shall live without them just fine; it changes little if anything."

"But of course," she said on the revocation of privileges. "I imagine our respective authorities shall be in constant contact and the moment a Tamoran business sees reason for such revocation. From there, we increase our common bonds, perhaps eventually setting the Dinar on a position as an alternative to the currencies of the internationalist powers. Already the dinar benefits from the price of oil and its influence over its value. We must capitalize on that and, perhaps in the process, remove a leg upon which the internationalists may lean upon. Imagine, the sale of petroleum solely in dinars, the benefits going to those who produce it, as they rightly should. Or, perhaps more fair, we present a 'basket of currencies' representative of all OPEN currencies."

"Naturally I can see where you're right, but it doesn't make it any more acceptable. To be sure I can curse the sun all I wish, or I may step into the shade and relieve myself of the heat."

"Why, aren't you enrapturing," Bektaten replied before quickly correcting herself, "I mean, I intended to say, your designs are enrapturing." After a moment of "checking an update from home" she returned her attention to Naser. "I do believe everything should be in order for the special economic zone, as you've paid great detail to every concern which may have arose regarding its inception and implementation. Anything you should need from my Government shall be at your disposal, on my word. Should any troubles arise, I should be the first to know."

"The same may be considered of our central bank," she continued, "it makes great sense that we should align regulations and ensure stability exists between us. You honour my People with your attention to detail on these new notes and have my gratitude; if anyone should be portrayed it should be my father, who is in many ways the father of modern Clysperis, along with the immortal words: "Thou makest all the land to drink unceasingly." The Hapi is of great importance to the Clysperi, without it much of my lands would be as arid as Kravec's heart, incapable of supporting life, not to speak of our civilization. I cannot wait to see the product of your labour, which I am certain will be a sight to behold," she continued with a smile.

"Of course, we could pair an image of my father with the skyline of our capital, the great pyramids rising forth from more modern construction. Truly a marriage of tradition, history and the progression of time, wouldn't you agree?"

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
Abbas nodded as Bektaten talked about proposing the dinar as an alternative to the use of the currencies of the internationalist powers. “I think it’s a great idea” Abbas concurred. “I think we should propose in the next OPEN meeting that all OPEN members sell their oil and gas in a basket of currencies of OPEN countries. That should gather the support of OPEN countries and since two nations in OPEN use the dinar as currency it is only fair that the dinar has double the proportion in the basket of currencies: one for Tamora and one for Clysperis. We must chip away at the power of the internationalist power piece by piece. I will have Naser here look into the possibility of having this basket currency to also be used in the Midaranye Commodity Exchange.”

Naser smiled at Bektaten’s involuntary compliment and when it was his turn to speak he said:

“I agree with YM that that it is a perfect mix of tradition, history and progression of time though I would add that a portrait of YM on the banknote would have made the banknote itself much more beautiful” he said smiling.

“With YM permission I would like to quickly touch on the last points of the economic agenda.”

“One would be a proposal from us for Clysperis to buy military equipment in a barter system rather than cash. That would mean Clysperis gets military equipment from Tamora and pays in agricultural products. This has several advantages for Clysperis, for one is that it doesn’t need to take on debt for the purchase and two it gives the agricultural sector in Clysperis a firm customer over a period of time. The option would remain open indefinitely. ”

“The second is gradual opening of the Tamoran labor market to Clysperi workforce. According to data the wages in Clysperis are significantly lower than in Tamora and some of these workers could work in Tamora and send money home to their families. And just as important, Clysperi workers would be working in a country whose culture is not hostile to our shared values and mentality. The opening of the labor market would be a gradual process and one that would also depend on the deciding factors of each Tamoran kingdom but the largest of them, the Imperial Enclave would be moving fast towards accepting more and more Clysperi workers. This is of course if only YM does not object to this proposal.”

“The last issue on the economic agenda would a long term project of aligning our two nation’s economies by gradually lowering the tariffs between our nations. This is no small undertaking and could potentially create problems in Clysperis as the individuals who stand to lose from this could potentially be a security concern to YM. Should YM agree to commit to such a path we could assemble and send a Tamoran delegation to YM’s kingdom as soon as possible and begin work with our counterparts there.”

“I believe that is all, if YM has any questions I am at YM disposal to answer them.”

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
"Ah, of course you would already be a step ahead, a basket of currencies would be an even stronger proposal. I am fully on-board to support any proposals you should wish to present. It may be a bit of an uphill effort at first, with how entrenched the present order is, but it's something which can be accomplished given patience and perserverence."

"You do flatter me," she replied with a blush, "perhaps on a future run, yes?"

"As for your proposals, I will see that my Government extends all resources and makes the necessary arrangements to see them implemented; it is a great package that you have put together. If only I had someone like you in Clysperis, we could have seen such progress much earlier, but as it is often said all things happen as they should. Thank you so much for your time and efforts."

"Also," she said quickly thereafter, "If you should wish to come to Clysperis, to examine the progress of these works personally, I have heard I make an excellent host. Seeing the pyramids up close, without blemish as those in Abydos, is an experience which inspires awe. Although I suppose you could say those are just as much a labour of my People as well, thus our roots trace deeply. Should you decide to visit do let me know and I will make all arrangements to ensure not only productive work, but ample opportunity to see the sights and experiences of Clysperis."

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Markus

• Roleplay Manager
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
"YM, I am honored of your offer and will look forward to visit your ancient kingdom" replied Naser smiling. He then stood up and excused himself allowing the two heads of state to continue their meeting.   

"Told you he's better at these things than me" add Abbas once Naser had left the room.

"Now I believe that covers what we had planned to discuss. Let this be but the first of a long series of meetings between us. Should I have my staff come and help us draft a join statement? It's time to tell the world that Tamora and Clysperis's bonds are as stronger as ever."

Online Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
"He had to get it from somewhere," she replied with a wink, "Do give yourself more credit."

"Indeed," she continued, "I do feel that would be best, for our People and all of Mundus to know this fact. I must say a part of me doesn't wish to leave so soon, but I know each of us will have work to attend to. I promise I won't be a stranger and will find my way back when the opportunity presents itself."

The card presented, obverse and reverse.

Excusing herself for a moment Bektaten took a card, wrote a message upon it, and presented it to the Emperor. "For the Prince, if you would be so kind? If he's to visit this should give him an idea of what he may expect in my Kingdom."

Spoiler: Text of Card • show
Prince Naser,
I too look forward to your visit to my Kingdom I can only say that they are more beautiful than this card can convey
Although our talks were of business I enjoyed your company and hope to again at your earliest convenience
Until we meet again
Bektaten

Beatrice Anselmo