Author Topic: The Ironside-Rhodes Hotline  (Read 1694 times)

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: East Moreland / Royal Seleucid
The Ironside-Rhodes Hotline
« on: December 18, 2023, 09:55:55 AM »
To:- Empress Emerita Evanthe

I am writing with my concerns regarding the recent media statements regarding our nation that have originated in Rokkenjima.

First the language used by the young Empress is insulting to our nation. To claim some so called "Northfort Experiment" has lead to lose of life unseen before the Commonwealth period is ludicrous. Since becoming King my nation has always gone above and beyond in terms of preserving life. A fact the Empress should remember only too well considering her own captivity at the hands of the Borlanders. There we placed the good of the international community above our own ends and as a result are still paying in lost Morelander lives today. There are literally millions of people alive on Mundus today who were it not for the actions of my armed forces, dedicated volunteers and aid organisations established here would otherwise be dead.

Under the reigns of previous Empresses it was always seemingly a competition in international affairs. Rokkenjima needed to be seen as the global elite. CTOMM was commanded by a Rokkenjiman. For many Morelanders, and I suspect others around the world who lost loved ones in that conflict, this is a hard pill to swallow. Hundreds of Moreland Legionnaires died freeing Marseille while following the orders of a Rokkenjiman who never committed forces from his own nation. When Lijiang sought to become the HQ of the MAEA you yourself stated in a response that they are a nation with "potential capacity for human suffering" all in an attempt to earn the right to host the organisation. We see this again in the language used by the Empress stating they'll give us "a run for their money". Nothing would please me more than seeing a Rokkenjima active in being good partners on the global stage once more however rather than seeing it as a competition I would urge the Empress to make use of oppurtunities we have created. I note she recently attended our Festival of Sail and while she is always more than welcome I note that there were at least four other heads of state present (Emperor Marco of Abertone, The Veiled One of Gusano, Queen Natalya of Lodja and Empress Serenity of Achkaerin) yet no attempts to meet with any of them were made, meanwhile representatives of my government meet with all four. In January we shall be supporting Gusano in their admission to the CETO and in keeping with the establishment of their newest city helping them host a cultural extravaganza, it would be my hope that the Empress attend that with a more sociable frame of mind in regard of diplomacy.

We are with this Imperial Address repeating many of the patterns of old. While the rift between East Moreland and Rokkenjima was I believed closing we are seeing it now re-open. We see the Empress talking about the creation of what will be a forth attempt at some kind of global body in less than ten years. Each have failed and no lessons have been learned as to why. Meanwhile we have seen regional co-operation flourish. We have seen the nations of Ardia use their body to mediate a flashpoint, we have seen the creation of a Krimeon anti-piracy force and we have seen TUNA put in place measures to support a marginalised people in the form of the Water Nomads. These bodies have achieved a great deal and this regional determinism should be supported. Add to this we once again are seeing your nation literally throwing money at nations on the criteria of "Democracy". I remind you this word was stricken from the MCUR as many nations, my own included, would not likely fulfil the criteria of being a fully fledged democracy. I suspect the vast majority of your $1billion is going to sit in a Rokkenjiman bank whereas it could easily support people on the ground in nations like Kermah where education is hard to come by for some and can be supported without the need to add conditions. The women of remote Lijiang struggle to access health care so the Global Childbirth Initiative work hard to try and change this, yet Lijiang would not be permitted to access these funds and so women continue to die in childbirth from treatable conditions. We see time and again what could best be described as "hoop jumping" by Rokkenjima to gain diplomatic traction. Most nations simply want a friend not a banker.

As the Empress explains the situations are QAMB and the recent issues with Daito are complex. While this is true the same is true that members of the Rokkenjiman armed forces have been involved in both. Decision making and chains of command have clearly fallen apart during these moments resulting in damage caused by your nation. This also creates a lack of trust. Elements of the Rokkenjiman military are clearly not fit for purpose. For several years now Achkaerin Justicars and various intelligence officials have worked alongside your military in order to try and solve this situation and yet we still see scenarios where whole hosts of your forces were involved in a political plot. We inherited a similar situation of mass corruption, outdated command structures, disloyalty and political backstabbing in Lodja and have now turned their armed forces into a steady reliable tool for the crown there post civil war and have now, save for joint exercises, removed our training teams. Only once the Achkaerin forces hand back total control of information, command and control will your nations forces be seen as reliable to many in the world. 

I note both yourself and the Empress make use of the motif of "open doors" and people being welcome to walk through them. Such statements are used a lot by a string of Rokkenjimans and have seen the once lorded Rokkenjiman Diplomatic Corps fail to maintain itself as what it was once perceived as. There was a time myself as a new King I accepted such an invite because I believed it was one that would be important for my nation. Were I crowned today I am not so sure I would have walked through that door so readily. I was fortunate enough to be tutored by Dr.Marcus Merriman who as well as teaching medieval Morelander history taught his students several important life lessons. The first of these is that a persons perception of the world is their reality. If people perceive you as being one way then to them that is how they will treat you. It is my hope the world perceives East Moreland as a nation steadfast in its commitment to make Mundus better and that we are a nation that is a reliable and dependable friend that will always show up and do the right thing. If you are being honest with yourself what do you believe is the perception of Rokkenjima these past few years? The second thing he taught me was that rereading ancient stories will not bring about new endings. We are, I fear, beginning to see a reply of the situation between myself and the Empresses mother. I would urge her not to do this.

On Wednesday I will go before the Representative Assembly as I do every week and I will answer their questions that are likely to come on the relationship between Rokkenjima and East Moreland. This letter is likely to give you a flavour of what will be said. You know only too well we in East Moreland place a greater emphasis on deeds than words. As such this will be born out in my statements before my Assembly.

Should you wish to contact me regarding this matter before Wednesday you are more than welcome.

May The Gods Watch Over You and Your Nation Know Peace.

King David of East Moreland.

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: Beatrice/Rokkenjima
Re: The Ironside-Rhodes Hotline
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2023, 11:50:21 PM »
To: My friend, King David of East Moreland

It was of utmost of difficulties that I left the Illumic yet again; I might not be a native to the waters you call home but, there's something in those waters that calls out to my heart too, being torn away is impacting a bit more greatly this time I find. That being said, I return in a capacity with many difficulties before it, and I can confirm to you personally that inflammatory language toward you and East Moreland was done to placate some in the Imperial Rokkenjiman Military who see themselves higher than their station. You must understand, the Rokkenjiman Throne is at its weakest point since the first Grand Patriotic War, and I don't know if I can right this ship, even with the assistance of the Achkaerinese (which, I promise you, I have already devised a plan which will see domestic control restored in the areas you highlighted, but I feel like I'm going to need to call upon you to see those succeed.) We are, after all, talking about a girl who was in your care for some time, someone who has asked me if there are Freya figurines she might add to her collection of "people I admire", thus I do not believe those words spake against you and yours were penned by her, my beloved Asuna is in survival mode and doing what she can to both survive, but to try to be a firewall. She'll need your support and guidance in that and, with your permission, I'd like to facilitate the two of you speaking directly because I think you could be of great help in this present situation, and maybe through a collective struggle we'll see the spirit of friendship truly take hold once again.

As you place an emphasis on deeds over words I have enabled East Moreland access to Rokkenjiman military communications over ICON; if the Grand Marshal is a traitor his actions are most certain to show up there. I've also enabled access to your Government regarding the log which the Empress maintains, typically a log which is only opened ten years following her passing. I've taken the first action with her knowledge and the second without it; I couldn't risk her trying to pretty her words up knowing you'd have access. That'll show you her true positions and, perhaps, help guide us back together. I'm not going to argue with you or try to tread old ground, but what I will do in my capacity is act as a conduit to the present, in the hopes of seeing this truly ridiculous set of circumstances between us resolved. I look forward to rejoining you in the Illumic as soon as I'm able to, something about the smell of the waters, maybe that's what draws us all back. Until we see each other again, all the best to you and yours.

Evanthe

In addition to the message Evanthe sent in reply would be attached the first entry available to the King.

December 19th, 2023

It was to be my moment, following in the footsteps of my mother, and yet here we are. I had so much fun at the Festival of Sail, I think I really reconnected with Freya, and just a few days ago I speak against them. I only wish I could tell her I'm sorry, I feel like I disappointed her, and maybe I truly did. I don't know how to move forward from here, everything in my head is screaming to find some respite with her and the King, but I'm forced to malign them instead. What do I do, where do I turn to, where does an Empress who should be at the apex turn? I find some comfort in mum's music though, Duran Duran specifically.

"Because I'm falling down
With people standing 'round
But before I hit the ground
Is there time?
Could I find someone out there to help me?"

The Most Humble of Islyna didn't prepare me for this, Rosari principles have nothing to offer here, they assume a Chrysanthemum free of influence. Despite my spirit and my dedication it's all robbed from me, I have to be a puppet at times, and it makes me want to peel my very own skin off in disgust. I like to imagine her, Freya, in full gear kicking the shit out of these people, being by my side, helping me at my most vulnerable. I hope she hasn't lost faith in me, or respect, I hope she doesn't hate me in this, I hope she knows I wish she was here now to show these bastards just what strength really is. I wish she could help me, journal while my mother was formidable and while I love and respect her, somehow in my time in East Moreland Freya became my role model and I'm feeling rather crappy these past few days. You can't give me any help but, maybe, I can still find a way to make her proud? Tomorrow isn't written yet, and that's all I'm writting today. See you tomorrow at our usual time.

Beatrice Anselmo
Grand Chancellor of the Independent Order
Empress of the First Empire of Rokkenjima

Factbook of the First Empire of Rokkenjima - Kingdom of Clysperis

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2023, 09:16:00 PM »
To:Evanthe

While I see room for encouragement in your letter and actions I can not help but be concerned. It seems to me like the Empress is struggling coming to terms with her position of responsibility and the situation that Rokkenjima finds itself in. While she speaks to factions of her administration that she feels need to hear anti-East Moreland sentiments she needs to be aware this requires me to both say and do things as a reaction. My fear is this will set us back to the times of animosity and anger. While I appreciate the steps taken by yourself I believe the Empress deserves the right to privacy in her personal diaries. Often for people in positions such as ours they are the only place we can truly be honest in our lives and as such I do not believe the young Empress deserves to have her personal scribblings scrutinised by myself or anyone else until such a time as she is ready. Meanwhile one of my most trusted intelligence agency workers, Grace Yacobs, will scrutinise ICON and if required support in monitoring the matters.

In the new year my sister is semi-retiring from military service and will eventually take on more government duties. While I had intended making her a minister for veteran affairs I will now more than likely make her some kind of emissary. In January we will be supporting Gusano in the long overdue hosting of a CETO festival. I would therefore ensure my sister attends and I believe perhaps you could take an oppurtunity to persuade the Empress to do likewise. This will give them an oppurtunity to speak without prying eyes of the media.

May The Gods Watch Over You and Your Nation Know Peace

King David III

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2023, 09:12:42 PM »
David,

I'm certain you know I quite understand your position. Given the duties I have, and as another she trusts and respects, I am confident in my ability to oversee things from this point. It is my fear that the new year marks a time which may prove to be too late. If our conspirators are looking at the same calendar we are they know that they have a deadline, the end of this year, before the new Constitution comes into force. With the Empress being beyond Rokkenjiman borders I, in the mean time, am seeing that things run smoothly here, however, this window presents an opportunity for a final effort against what the Empress, and her mother, had long sought: less power concentrated in the Crown and a true realization of what Rokkenjiman Democracy is. Preventing the conspiracy from making gains prior to that window closing is of paramount importance. If it's possible to arrange for a face-to-face prior to that please do let me know so we may make any arrangements, if necessary, on our end.

Working together we may see that this is the last echo of the past, at least that's my intention. I didn't have the opportunity before to finish my job and duty in giving Asuna what I promised and I won't let this opportunity to do so end in failure this time.

Evanthe

To: Relevant Morelander Authorities
From the Desk of Tamaki Kado, Director of the Imperial Rokkenjiman Naval Intelligence Service

At the direction of Kōshaku Evanthe I have instructed that <0, a cyber security analyst whose services are often employed by the INIS, seek your assistance and analysis of data regarding a trio of Rokkenjiman nationals. Under the Guardtower Provisions signed into law following the attack upon Pyrettania our Full Spectrum program is capable of capturing the communications of Rokkenjiman nationals in real time, signifying countless channels of communication which would be outside the walled garden of the ICON network. With the deadlines imposed upon INIS, those being the close of the year, I have issued an exception to share data with your relevant services in a bid to buy as much time as possible and thwart whatever plot is presently afoot.

It is not lost upon me the recent remarks of the Empress nor the sentiment those have aroused, however, despite appearances there are more friends to Northfort than those who would seek to see us return to the worst of days between our nations, myself amongst them and I feel a vast majority under my direction as well. In this present situation we find ourselves facing INIS is, very much, the last line of defense between our nascent reproachment and lunatics who I'd hazard wish to see, in all but name, military rule of Rokkenjima; fostering foreign discontent is of course advantageous to them there.

I also understand that the Kōshaku wishes to effect a quicker face-to-face between the Empress and your Princess, something I am willing to facilitate. Given the current location of the HMY United States I feel we can effect her travel, via helicopter, to Seaforth from the impromptu Imperial Yacht discreetly. If you are capable of effecting discreet transportation for the Princess, likewise, please inform me and I'll have the arrangements made in short order.

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2023, 10:32:20 PM »
The Empress smiled at her new post, it was on an obscure Morelander image board but one which was, at times, monitored by the Morelanders, at least she hoped. She also hoped that the guidance Lucinda had given her in steganography didn't fail her here. The image itself was rather innocent, a kitten roaring at a tiger on the screen ahead of it, yet within that image was hidden a video she hoped would reach the right ears. "And there it is," she said after hitting "post" and turning to Thomas, "I'm sure they'll get the message, if they inspect the right aspects of the post of course, but it's a Hail Mary at this point. I suspect your return to Tytor will be something we need to discuss soon, if things get messy, as I suspect they might, I wouldn't want you here taking unnecessary risks, whether on my behalf or otherwise." She continued as she posted another image, yet again laden with data for those who would be looking for something behind the curtain so to say, posting an image of a kitten cuddling with with a honey badger containing within it another video, before hitting the "post" button yet again.

"I'm sure INIS will see this," she continued, "but I'm hoping they're on my side in this, at least I think they should be." She sent the third image, one taken by the press of King David and Empress Beatrice in happier times which contained one further, and final, video. Her identity had been suspected, as advised to her by the INIS on the site, but it had never been confirmed, yet she could only hope her digital breadcrumbs would be followed here, even against most odds. "I think that's enough for tonight," she said as she sighed, "we can only see what tomorrow brings, and hopefully it's good. I still think you should go, there's no telling what happens next and I won't see you put in the path of danger. If I fail at standing here," she said as she slumped into him, "I need to know I have a home to return to, and wherever that is it's with you."

Beatrice Anselmo

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2023, 06:34:02 PM »
Lindsay Esom occasionally had the rather dull job of checking a few frequently used social media sites used as a kind of signal system by members of East Moreland's intelligence services. From there things got sent up a chain until Grace Yacobs found it on her desk. It was an awkward one. What did the Empress actually think the Morelanders would do based on some backdoor messaging. Still Grace arranged for a briefing between herself, the King and Lindsay.

The Kings office was rather cosy this time of year. In the dark winters Quinn Germaine, the King's Head of Royal Household, ensured a log fire was always burning and the large floor to ceiling windows overlooking the lake let in as much light as possible. The three of them were joined by Princess Freya and Alex Redfern. "We're not exactly sure what she wants, best guess based on this and what Evanthe sent is she wants to somehow try and work things out. The problem is we all know she's not exactly fully in charge by the standards we'd set." Grace explained

"And how do we do that without the world knowing?" David asked, "I'm not inclined to just give support, if she's going to use us as a political tool to sort her problems out at home I'm not game for it, frankly I am tired of being dragged into Rokkenjiman games." The King said grimly.

"In that regard I have an idea." Alex inched forward in his seat.

"Go on" David was keen to see what he'd come up with.

"We're going to have you, Stasya and me and Freya head to Abertone with one of our EMAC Luxury Lifters for the World Cup. We'll fake an emergency back home, Rhiannon's ill or something, and you have to fly home. As the Rok's are right next door and the Princess and the Empress have a relationship we'll have her invite her for a flight taking your seats. As the thing will of course be given protection by the Abertone security services and naturally Red Legion they'll be only room onboard for the Empress and one of her guests. If she's sensible she'll think she's meeting with Freya and obviously bring a friend or something. Meanwhile we'll diplomatic bag you in, even Abertone won't know you're there. Once you're airborne we can have you appear as if out of nowhere."

"Diplomatic Bag me?" David vaguely recalled that from somewhere.

"Yes, you know like how we got folks out of Academica just before it got tasty. On this occasion though we'll have had Ironside One fly in with some cargo we need to offload that needs to go to the embassy. We'll have you board the aircraft, nip down to cargo, get into the box and when its offloaded and marked up as diplomatic Abertone won't check it. We then stick it in the hangar with the Luxury Lifter and have you hide onboard. Once airborne and no eyes around you can pop out of a birthday cake or something. On return we do the thing in reverse sticking you on Ironside Two. Which we'll fly in from the Iwi. If all goes well no one knows you're there."

"So I sit in a box?" David asked shaking his head.

"Yes....you'll love it." Freya mocked. "Even the Empress won't know"

"Make it happen".

The Morelander royal siblings and their spouses had arrived and right on cue Rhiannon had got chicken pox. David made his apologise to the various people he'd been scheduled to meet and entering Ironside One got into his box. All that was left to see now was whether the Empress had taken the invitation.

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2023, 05:46:56 AM »
Asuna would leap at the opportunity and invite along Evanthe, her "aunt" for this venture. Asuna found herself speechless for the initial greeting, which Evanthe tried to fill the void. "Try to forgive her, she still doesn't recognize the field in which she now operates. Asuna, say hello to your hosts and thank them," she continued as Asuna stood and bowed. "Thank you," she said before returning to her seat, to which Evanthe would respond further. "I'll let the Empress speak for herself, but as one who knows her heart, as one who knows it is guided toward that which is right and just, she does not want to be your foe. I give you my word, as a Rhodes, her intentions are pure and true so please, recognize there are some complications she's dealing with and she will see they're tended to."

"Thank you," Asuna would say before speaking freely herself. "I have to start with saying I'm sorry, my first major speech and it's hijacked, I didn't want any of that there but, here we are. I'm a friend to East Moreland, you all were our friends for so long and our People share much in common, this divide is unnatural and forced by those with an agenda, so how do I make things right? How do I see our friends at our side again? I don't mean to bring you into an argument you do not wish but," she sighed, "I want to see this divide healed, I don't want to do this again, how do I undo the damage my mother wrought between us?"

Beatrice Anselmo

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2024, 03:22:26 PM »
David, while not surprised, had hoped that Asuna would have brought someone without Evanthe's connections, her ties to both Seaforth and Emerson would in Davids mind perhaps muddy the waters. It was though perhaps an indicator of where David believed one of Rokkenjimans biggest problems lay. He took a seat in the gondala opposite Asuna and Evanthe once the airship got to an altitude. "I give you my word as a Rhodes!" David repeated Evanthe's words and shook his head sadly. "Why not the Seven Divines, why not Islyna? The fact we start off being asked to place weight on your word as anything other than a Rokkenjiman is for my a symptom of why we are here. Rokkenjima isn't Rokkenjima anymore. Its a nation controlled by its friends. Its a nation that seems more interested in Seaforth, in Achkaerin and even Daito to be itself. Evanthe I know you mean well but we've both been here far too many times before and been through this process too often. Stupidity is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different outcome and we both know neither of us are stupid."

The King turned to face Asuna "You want to know how you make things right and how to heal a divide? The issue comes down to what you are actually capable of doing. The fact we've had to go to these lengths to even get a meeting where you can speak openly should tell you my big issue. If we'd gone through normal channels we'd have had some security detail lurking from Achkaerin, or if it was planned no doubt we'd have had some input from other voices, many of whom aren't Rokkenjiman. So the issue we have is not what we would like you to do it is what you are capable of?"

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2024, 12:24:19 AM »
"That's fair, David," Evanthe sighed. "Perhaps my time on the Throne marks an experiment, one which didn't quite realize the results I'd had hoped for, but an experiment nonetheless. Asuna," she said turning to her once David had finished addressing her, "what I did in the past, what your mother did in the past, is nothing you have to be beholden to. This is your show now," she said as she took a wooden box from her pocket, "and while the song this box plays is determined by the gears and bars within, the lyrics are now yours to write. You are Empress, and while I know you at times doubt yourself know that I, and so many other Rokkenjimans, have faith in your inner strength, in your starlight."

Asuna paused for a moment. "I believe I am capable of seeing that once strong relationship between us once again be realized, I've got obstacles there but I can overcome them, I also know I trust Kado and his INIS to have my best interests at the centre of his own heart, and I trust I am strong enough to see that these wishes become a reality. Despite the side tracks of history we've long been friends, and in my time with your People I see the parallels in our beliefs, principles and so much more and it's no secret that I view Princess Freya as a superhero because," she buried her face in her hands to mask her emotions, "she's a superhero to me, it sounds silly saying it out loud, but she's my role-model: forgive my language here but it's necessary, she's a bad-ass bitch that gets the job done, no matter what it is. She's respected, admired, looked to for guidance, and if I had 1/10th of her ferocity I'd have had this situation in hand before any of this was needed. In every nightmare I've had, there's been a Freya to slay the monster or stop the bad guy, and she always wins. You know that though," she giggled, "you know your sister is a badass."

"I know I spent time in East Moreland before, I also know I had my education to train me for the Throne, but I have a big ask perhaps," she paused with anticipation. "I know I'll have my duties here but, in my down time, allow me to study under Freya, I respect and love my mother but I see where she fell short at the same time, but I feel like all I had to learn from Freya there's more I could learn from her. I see in the Cult so many things that the Seven Divine try to relay to Rokkenjimans, and as ironic as it may seem I think a Morelander can help me unlock all that's within that to unwrap, and even if a Rosari could teach me what good would that do in an increasingly international world? There's nothing in the Rosari teachings that says our understanding has to be through the Faith itself and, maybe, at the end of our journey I might just gain the right to properly call Freya my aunt." She blushed, "I not only want our Peoples to be allies again, I want us to be inseparable in any circumstance, to be on the same page again, and I want Aunty Freya to be by my side; if I can be a badass like her, it's an extra bonus too."

Beatrice Anselmo

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2024, 01:04:44 AM »
David took a deep breath and was about to speak but then a nod of his head to his sister encouraged her to begin. "I'm flattered you think of me that way. You though need to remember, what you see is the carefully stage managed Malcolm Tucker version of a Princess. He'll likely throw around things like "Oh she was the first boot on the ground in the Safraen crisis" or something like that" she even put on a bad impression of Tuckers voice. "I was but it wasn't like I was there on my own, I had a squad of Red Legionnaires less than a heartbeat behind me. You see there is nothing special about doing what must be done. That said you have my phone number and you know where I live."

David let Freya say her piece and then stepped in. "Throughout my reign I've been here too often." He said rather matter of fact. "It seems almost a bi-annual thing where I meet a Rokkenjiman Empress who tells me they want us to work together, to be friends.....or even allies. I say the same thing that we're Morelanders and we believe in deeds not words. Then for a few weeks things are great, fast forward and here we sit." He shrugged his arms and sank back into his chair. "Half of me wants to speak to you like the teenager you are, but the problem is you're not a normal teenager. Viktoriya Tar, Klara, that weird kid from Jonathania, The Veiled One of Gusano all had power at the same age of similar to you. You're talking about badasses......Olivia Robertsson, a 19 year old medical student who hiked a group of survivors out of the UNP and to safety before finding herself stuck in a chemical leak she still has the scars from. I look at those people and then I think I have to ignore your age. We're not going to be allies. That's the short answer. You don't get to be placed on the same pedestal as the Cenneg, the Iwi and Lodja simply by asking. Hell you don't even play rugby well." David half smiled trying to find someway of softening his words. "I know the circumstances of your childhood perhaps mean you're lacking the traditional Rokkenjiman pre-reign education that most Empresses would have but so what. Lodja don't even have a royal family. Erin McGregor at 20 years of age catapulted a religion to a homeland, but thats a sore point. They are doing what must be done. You're not." He took another breath and reached down beside the sofa and picked up his trusty leather bound notebook. From his inside pocket he brought out his favourite pen, one gifted to him by the Queen of Sky Coast so many years ago, it had signed more treaties on Mundus than any other pen.

"You ever hear of the Spartan paradox? Its something I came across in my rehab." Suspecting Asuna hadn't he didn't wait for an answer and just continued. "It's a simple concept. If we say we're going to do something we make excuses, you know things like the diet starts tomorrow, well we all know tomorrow never comes. The Spartan paradox states that until you've put a date in your diary and a pin on your calendar its not real. So the idea is you set yourself a big challenge and then pick a sensible date. You then write it down. Suddenly its real and you can't put it off. You want to know how we fix this......we use the Spartan paradox." David began writing and after a few minutes ripped a page out of his notebook and handed it her.

Quote from: The Spartan Agreement

The Empress of Rokkenjima agrees to the following.

1. A statement shall be released clarifying her statements on East Moreland.

2. The Empress shall broaden her horizons. In order to do this she shall

a) visit a nation on each continent. (This may not be Daito or Achkaerin)
b) take part in a cultural event from another nation.
c) climb a mountain
d) visit Hygelac
e) complete a trek of at least 100miles.

3. Do something for a NGO.

4. Have created a formal treaty between Rokkenjima and East Moreland that is acceptable to both parties. This to be agreed and negotiated in Rokkenjima with no one who is not a Morelander or Rokkenjiman present. This may not include mutual defence nor shall it include base sharing.

"Its not going to guarantee us being best buddies, but if your going to be Empress of Rokkenjima for a long time, Gods willing, then I need you to be someone willing to say what you mean and mean what you say. I also want you to be someone whose experienced Mundus, for too long Rokkenjima has acted like the whole of Mundus is East Ardia. All you need to do to get the ball rolling is stick some dates down. Its unorthadox but I've tried formal treaties before with Rokkenjimans and they don't hold so we'll try something very different."

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2024, 03:22:20 AM »
"Even still, he had to have some inspiration for his tales, yes? So you're still deserving of the credit I give you in my book at least, and those behind you of course."

For her part Asuna would remain mostly quiet until David had handed her the paper. In silence, she affixed a series of dates, before handing it back to him.

Quote from: The Spartan Agreement
The Empress of Rokkenjima agrees to the following.

1. A statement shall be released clarifying her statements on East Moreland. Today

2. The Empress shall broaden her horizons. In order to do this she shall

a) visit a nation on each continent. (This may not be Daito or Achkaerin) No later than March 22nd, if not earlier
b) take part in a cultural event from another nation. At the earliest possible opportunity, no later than the end of July.
c) climb a mountain Mount Ronove, 27th of January
d) visit Hygelac February 7th, while SSUS still in yacht service
e) complete a trek of at least 100miles. April 15th. How much weight will I be forced to carry this time?

3. Do something for a NGO. April 7th

4. Have created a formal treaty between Rokkenjima and East Moreland that is acceptable to both parties. This to be agreed and negotiated in Rokkenjima with no one who is not a Morelander or Rokkenjiman present. This may not include mutual defence nor shall it include base sharing. July 4th

She typed quickly upon her phone before giving it to the King, "The first task is completed," she said as she slumped back into her seat. "I had my speech prepared, memorized by heart even, and they forced these notes into it, I'm sure the natural flow of my speech is apparent to most viewers; I spoke those words with acid rising from within. With this though, I start to reclaim my honour," she continued, "and those I didn't name publicly are those in the employ of the Grand Marshal. I've just painted one very large target on my back," she said as she rose before collapsing into Evanthe's arms, "I've left myself wholly naked and without a weapon before those I suspect are clamouring for way more beyond their station, they certainly won't like that but I take that action for you. From here on out let actions speak, and if I can't prove my convictions to you I shall prove them to the Princess."

Beatrice Anselmo

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2024, 11:55:16 PM »
OOC- Follows this https://independentorder.net/index.php?topic=737.msg28523;topicseen#msg28523 - Castle on the Hill Vignette

As the e-mail pinged through David naturally was concerned. He picked up his phone and placed a call to his sister, who luckily was in Northfort. It was a short walk from the Princesses woodland clearing lodge to the Palace itself and Freya had not bothered smartening herself up from chopping some firewood with Alex. David had verbally outlined the message and now turned his screen to let his sister read it from off the monitor. "I've asking the ambassador to make contact but if something has happened then I think we may need you there?" David instructed his sister who began making her own phone calls.

An hour later Ironside One was taking off en route to Rokkenjima on the pretext of a visit to the embassy while heading to Abertone. Onboard was Freya, her Head of household Rebecca Jarrett and Sir Richard Kelly and Red Legionnaires Tom Saxby and Tristian Rowe. "Well this is nice" Saxby said as he took a seat in the lounge of the aircraft. He'd travelled once or twice on the aircraft but only ever in the security hub which while nice lacked the huge armchairs and plush carpets of the King's lounge. "Do you think your brother would mind if I take a dump in his en-suite......just like to say I have." Saxby asked Freya who was trying her best to work out what was going on at their destination.

"Tom, for once in your life don't be a savage." Rowe shook his head. "Just take a whizz, leave the solids for the crew bog." The pair snickered like little kids, they were still unsure why they'd been sent but had been instructed to dress smartly. So now they listened as Freya instructed them in what would happen when they landed.

Touching down the four of them had an embassy car waiting and the drive was dismissed leaving Saxby to drive. "Thank Helus we didn't bring Olly or we'd be costing the tax payer yet another gearbox" he quipped as he set off towards Pyrena. As they reached the gate Rebecca exited the car and made her way to the guard house. She flashed her ID as a member of both the East Moreland military and the diplomatic team.

"Good morning. We've Princess Freya here with us. She's visiting the embassy however when the Empress meet her at the world cup she said if the Princess was ever in Rokkenjima to stop by for some tea.....I suspect she'll be expecting the Princess." Rebecca responded.

Online Achkaerin

• Lord Chief Justice
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
  • Your Nation: the Holy Empire of Achkaerin
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2024, 01:19:55 AM »
OOC - Beatrice thinks this would be my ball so to speak so just dealing with the facilitating of the security side.

The officer on the gate got onto his radio "Er... Boss can you come down to the main gate we've got Princess Freya here." he said before he looked at Rebecca "Just a couple of moments please Miss Jarrett."

About a minute later a familiar face to the Morelander contingent Major Sapyiat Kaltev, came down from the castle to the main gate "Miss Jarrett what an unexpected surprise this is." Sapyiat said before taking a look at the vehicle full of people she knew before looking at the guard "Corporal?"
"Princess Freya's visiting the East Moreland embassy, but when she met the Empress at the world cup she said if Princess Freya was ever in Rokkenjima to stop by for some tea." the corporal said

Sapyiat actually looked somewhat miffed for a moment before she shook her head "Call the police and the council tell them the kids have been at it with the road sign again. You know the drill" she said before looking back at Rebecca "My apologies but you're in the wrong place, no doubt due to the latest instalment of a long running prank involving a group of local teenagers and a road sign, this is Pyrena this is where Beatrice Anselmo is kept under house arrest. You're presumably looking for Empress Asuna, she resides at the Imperial Palace, to get there go back down the path you just came up, take a left and follow it round until you see a bus stop on your left, you can't mistake it because it's the only one you'll see, take the right immediately after the bus stop and about two minutes later you'll come to a junction which you go straight across and onto what looks like a country lane, stay on that and you'll reach the Imperial Palace." she took a breath to let Rebecca commit it all to memory "I've soldiered through enough hellholes and warzones with Princess Freya to respect her and right now if I were to guess she's hypothesising all the possible reasons why I'm here. The security around the Imperial Family of Rokkenjima has been heightened due to an ongoing national security matter, we've been on lockdown here for almost seventy two hours." she smiled before repeating the directions to the Imperial Palace and letting the Morelanders go on their way.

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2024, 10:30:16 PM »
Evanthe would greet the Morelanders when they arrived at the Imperial Palace. "Emerson, I'll need the room for this," she continued as she guided Freya toward the sitting room of the Palace.

Once in the room Evanthe would set straight toward business. "The Empress is presently unable to be here, apparently events led to her trying to claim her own life and here we stand," Evanthe continued, "and while I'm certain the Empress would have loved to see you, I'm what you both have to settle with. I am acting in her stead in the mean time, so anything you'd wish to be relayed can be left with me to be transferred to her. I know it's not ideal, but it's the best I can offer both you and her at this time. Any questions you may have will be answered fully and honestly within this room, outside of which I cannot have any recollection as to what was said. With that being said," she sighed, "shall we proceed?"

Beatrice Anselmo

Online DaveIronside

• Roleplay Moderator
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2024, 11:33:44 PM »
Freya waited for a few seconds. "I'll be asking Marissa to send her a speedy recovery." She paused once more. It was seemingly another example of how Rokkenjima wasn't truly itself anymore, while she understand Evanthe was essentially last Anselmo standing at this point in Freya's mind Evanthe was someone she associated more now with Seaforth than with Rokkenjima. Once you'd fought for another nation that would, as far as Freya believed anyway, be your homeland. "Lets be clear about something" Freya began "It should be sending some kind of alarm bell ringing the fact that within a short space of time after the Empress tried to end her life a delegation of Morelanders rock up at your Palace unannounced. Especially when that delegation is made up of me and a carefully selected entourage including the former C.O. of Red Legion" She glanced at Richard Kelly, formerly the Brigadier in charge of the nations elite. "Since when do I do embassy visits?" she shrugged her shoulders. "We knew something was happening with her, not exactly what, but we know. So perhaps lets drop all the pretence. I'm here because the Empress wants me here and I'm here to offer some time away from whatever it is she's dealing with. There is no accident in who I selected to accompany me, the boys here are as discreet as they come and we've Ironside One sat on a runway. No need for anyone other than our team. A few days of fresh Morelander air and an escape from the situation that exists here could do her wonders. My concern having gone first to your other home and discovered a justicar on gate duty is whose controlling the fall out." She paused for a few seconds and then having gauged the moment told Evanthe something she knew her brother would have volunteered himself.

"This is the first time someone outside high command has been told this. You'll remember the birth of Caspian and Rhiannon. In the days that followed Matilda was touch and go as to whether she would survive. My brother was heartbroken, add to that the fact that he'd just discovered his new born son was likely to die before his fifth birthday and that there was a chance that it was because of something in my brothers DNA. He had committed himself to raising the twins as much like a normal father as possible. It didn't go well. The worry about Matilda, the health of Caspian and the stress of being for that time a single father pushed him into a kind of isolation. What is also not public knowledge is he was for a time on medication for his mental health following the regency crisis. This was like the perfect storm and we actually had to stop him from trying to shoot himself. Tom there had to break down a door in Northfort Palace and he'll tell you himself that those things don't go down easily. In the days that followed he went off to the countryside and recovered with the help of a vast number of his friends.  I took the regency for two months. We've been here before. The best advice I can give you, don't hide her away from people who want to help. Not all help comes from experts and if you want to improve things then change needs to happen. We've a spot if she wants it." Freya concluded.

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2024, 12:15:33 AM »
"Sadly my hands are tied here," Evanthe sighed, "if it were up to me you'd have been speaking with Asuna personally however, that is not my decision to make and to be honest I don't entirely fit into place around here anymore. I'm not blind though," she continued, "for now I have to play a role to ensure that there's something for Asuna to return to. My heart also breaks at what you've shared with me, and just as I wish I could have been there I know Joshua would have wanted to be there for him in those dark moments, and it's truly fortunate that he overcame the darkness which attempted to consume him."

Evanthe thought for a moment, "I think you should have the opportunity to speak with her on this personally. If you've a day or two to spare would you be willing to give me some time to see that such a face-to-face is possible? I am, after all, the last currently standing Rokkenjiman guardian of the Empress, and I think what you've offered would be a great benefit to her. I can't do anything today so if you have that time to spare I have a guest house here on the grounds of the Palace that would be wholly yours for a night or two, and no worries, the Imperial Household Ministry is in charge of them so one word from me and any security arrangements are to your full and total specifications and demands. After all," she paused, "Asuna wouldn't forgive me if I didn't do all I could to facilitate this."

Beatrice Anselmo

Offline Beatrice

• The Golden Witch
  • Grand Chancellor
  • Global Superpower
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2024, 11:53:41 PM »

United States approaches Portworth

Unbeknownst to most the Empress had cleared her schedule and soon found herself nearing Portworth, East Moreland. Personally taking to the radio she sighed, "I'm sorry for the unexpected arrival, but I wasn't able to personally accept your invitation when it was offered, and I apologize for that. My aunt relayed your invotatopm though so, I've found my way here. Do we have permission to dock?" she would ask. She then looked to the captain, "hold our position until we hear back from them," she paused, "and thank you for diverting from our original planned voyage. "I don't know entirely what is on the other side but," she looked to the side, "Princess Freya came to Rokkenjima for me, it's only natural I should return the favour. I just hope I don;t have all that weight to carry on my back this time around," she continued as she massaged her back.

"That was some truly heavy stuff," she said to a petty officer who chuckled, "don't judge me." "I am sorry, your Imperial Highness, please don't see this as disrespec..." "Calm yourself, I won't see any action against you," Asuna said with a smile. "Just don't doubt me again," she said with a gaze which could kill, causing him to stumble through his words more, which ultimately made her chuckle even more. "Stand at ease, and please recognize when you're being hazed in the future?" to which he nodded. "Good," Asuna would say, "let us then dock."

Beatrice Anselmo